Raptors beat Pistons as the end of the bench finally gets a little burn

Toronto Raptors 116 Final
Recap | Box Score
107 Detroit Pistons
Greg Monroe, PF Shot Chart 34 MIN | 8-13 FG | 7-11 FT | 10 REB | 1 AST | 0 STL | 1 BLK | 2 TO | 23 PTS | +6

Monroe’s play has been criticized lately. But there’s not a lot negative you can say about this outing. Against a pretty good team with a lot to play for (they want that 3rd seed), Greg scored efficiently and often, he rebounded well, and he kept Johnson and Patterson in check.

Oh, and he did all of that as a PF if anyone cares.

Kyle Singler, SF Shot Chart 41 MIN | 4-9 FG | 4-6 FT | 6 REB | 3 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 0 TO | 14 PTS | -14

Singler put up a solid line, but he wasn’t able to keep up with Toronto’s perimeter players. And, once again, he got way too many minutes. But I can’t really blame him for that.

Andre Drummond, C Shot Chart 31 MIN | 5-9 FG | 4-8 FT | 17 REB | 2 AST | 2 STL | 3 BLK | 3 TO | 14 PTS | +2

Drummond continued to grab every board in sight. His help defense could be a lot better, but, over the past 8 games, Drummond is averaging 17 points and 18 rebounds in 35 minutes. He is even a +17 in that time frame in spite of the Pistons being -42.

Brandon Jennings, PG Shot Chart 29 MIN | 6-18 FG | 3-4 FT | 3 REB | 7 AST | 1 STL | 0 BLK | 2 TO | 17 PTS | -4

A 17 and 7 line sounds solid but Jennings was awful. Besides bricking all game, he was almost as bad defensively as some of our more exaggerating commenters like to insinuate that he typically is.

Rodney Stuckey, SG Shot Chart 28 MIN | 5-11 FG | 8-10 FT | 6 REB | 4 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 4 TO | 18 PTS | -4

Stuckey not only scored well, he actually filled out his stat sheet a bit for once.

Tony Mitchell, PF Shot Chart 7 MIN | 1-2 FG | 0-1 FT | 3 REB | 0 AST | 2 STL | 0 BLK | 1 TO | 2 PTS | -3

Yay, minutes for Mitchell. As always, his per minute numbers were excellent. And, as always, that tells us nothing because he got so few of them.

Jonas Jerebko, PF Shot Chart 23 MIN | 2-5 FG | 1-1 FT | 4 REB | 2 AST | 1 STL | 0 BLK | 1 TO | 6 PTS | -20

Jerebko was efficient enough, but his usual hustle was lacking to my eyes. And really, he didn’t produce as much as could be hoped for in half a game.

Peyton Siva, PG Shot Chart 20 MIN | 2-9 FG | 5-7 FT | 0 REB | 4 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 1 TO | 9 PTS | -5

Siva has vastly improved his assist to turnover ratio since early in the season. But he was still terrible in this one. He missed more shots than he should have taken total and he didn’t play a lick of defense.

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, SG Shot Chart 15 MIN | 2-6 FG | 0-0 FT | 2 REB | 0 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 0 TO | 4 PTS | -2

I still hope KCP can turn back into a useful player. But right now, he doesn’t look like one.

John Loyer

Loyer still gives way too many minutes to Singler and Stuckey and honestly Monroe and Drummond too. But at least he finally gave a little more than garbage time to some of the guys whose abilities are not completely known.

Given how bad of a coach he is, that makes almost a commendable performance.

• Apr 13, 20147:27 pm
    by Parsons

“he was almost as bad defensively as some of our more exaggerating commenters like to insinuate that he typically is.”

I fully admit I over exaggerate how awful he is. I still don’t see how he could be useful on a winning team. He’s just a spot filler on a bad team. No functional team would employ him as a starting PG and I’m starting to wonder how many would employ him as a backup even. His flaws are just way to glaring and far too often does he play like garbage until the game is lost and then sink some easy buckets to better his stat line. I just can’t stand him which admittedly makes me exaggerate how terrible he is.

• Apr 13, 20147:50 pm
      by Brandon Knight

Big question:
      Let’s say the Pistons can grab one. who would you rather have Eric Bledsoe or Kyle Lowry? and how much would you pay him?

• Apr 13, 201411:49 pm
        by Jodi aka "The Guru"

Neither…Get a good coach and hope Jennings starts to play better defense…

• Apr 14, 201412:37 am
          by Parsons

Why hope when you can know? Aside from the fact that Jennings is pretty close to untradeable and we’d end up paying him 8 million to ride the bench but I think were gonna end up doing that anyway. I have a sneaking suspicion he’s CV part 2. He’ll be demoted to the bench next year where he’ll struggle to shoot 35% so he’ll just chuck up as many shots as he can and pray to God some of them fall. His defense is bad but his shooting is worse. Sorry but if you can’t shoot and you can’t defend what else is there? Passing? He’s an OK passer. Not nearly good enough to make up for his sorry attitude, terrible shooting, and bad defense.

• Apr 14, 20147:53 am
            by hoophabit

How could any aspect of Jenning’s basketball be worse than his defense?  I mean, sure, he can’t shoot either, but all season long watching opposing guards waltz into the paint with Jennings helplessly watching has been maddening.  At least he’ll get on a shooting streak once in a while, but he never defends.

• Apr 14, 20141:23 am
        by Tim Thielke

Lowry because I think he costs less.

• Apr 14, 20146:28 am
        by JYD for Life

Bledsoe first and I’d max him to get him…but the suns will match anything.   I’d try offering a front-loaded or a poison pill deal like Lin and Asik’s as well.   Phoenix is so far under the cap, they will pay him either way.  At this point, he would be more valuable to us than Monroe at 14M.

love Lowry too.  No more than 10M for him.

the guy who could be valuable for cheap – assuming we can’t dump BJ or Smith – someone posted it awhile ago – Chalmers.
        I hate the guy, but he would bring steadiness at the PG spot, he defends, has championship experience and can hit an open 3.   he should be significantly cheaper as well.

• Apr 13, 20149:43 pm
      by frankie d

i guess, like parsons, i’m one of those exaggerating posters, but i dont think i actually exaggerate how bad he is.
      go down the list of PGs in the conference, and then the league, and see what team has a worst defensive player starting at PG for them.
      just off the top of my head, i cannot think of one.  maybe he’s out there, or maybe there are one or two who are worse, but i certainly cannot think of who they are.
      detroit saw the guy they should target this off season, today.
      vasquez.   he’s going to be excess baggage for toronto.  i think he’s a restricted free agent.  i would dump jennings for whatever i could get, sign vasquez – i’d overpay him so that toronto would not match – and roll his greivas.
      he is not a perfect PG by any means, but i would take his flaws and his leadership any day over the BS that jennings brings to the floor every game.

• Apr 13, 201411:01 pm
        by oats

Isaiah Thomas, Raymond Felton, Trey Burke, Kendall Marshall, and Damian Lillard are worse defenders than Jennings. I’d add Ty Lawson, Steph Curry, Kemba Walker, and Kyrie Irving as all guys that are pretty much even with him. Oh, and while he isn’t a starter, Vasquez is worse a defender than Jennings too.

• Apr 13, 201411:24 pm
          by Brandon Knight

Did you just look at steals per game?  Because I have no idea how you came up with this conclusion lol
          However, I don’t think anyone is worse than Brandon Jennings to be honest. The guy is complete garbage on defense!
          I am surprised you didn’t mention Jose Calderon???

• Apr 14, 201412:27 am
            by oats

No, although those guys do generally stink at getting steals. Those are all guys that put forth pretty much no effort on defense. Well, I think Marshall and Burke are putting in some effort, but they are pretty bad at it anyways. Those two do a lot of the young player who doesn’t really know what the hell is going on type of stuff. They have a chance to pass Jennings fairly soon, but as of now they are worse. Jennings is a bad defender too, but he’s a pretty run of the mill bad defender.

Calderon is a SG this year, at least defensively. Ellis is the one guarding PGs, and while he’s not exactly good, I think he’s a bit better than Jennings. On offense it’s not entirely clear who is the PG, although Ellis is the team leader in assists and it seems to me that he is the primary ball handler. The question was specifically about starting PGs, and I didn’t think that Calderon qualified.

• Apr 14, 201410:56 am
            by JYD for Life

While that might be somewhat accurate (which I would argue that all of them and even Felton is a better defender than Jennings), none of those guys absolutely kill their team offensively.

That’s the difference.  Jennings is the worst of that lot and possibly the worst in the league.  He tries literally 30% of the time.  Consistently runs into the screener and does not pursue his man around the curl.
            Our defense is so out of whack becuase everything breaks down when a guy like Hinrich blows by him and Drummond or Monroe have to slide out of position to shade or help.
            It’s disgusting to watch.  I’ve actually seen 7th graders play better defense than Jennings.  Honestly.

Yes, I would rather have Ray Felton as our starting PG than BJ.
            At least he wouldn’t take as many horrific shots and might actually hit an open 3 after dumping it down to Monroe or Drummond.

This has gotten to the point where having a starting PG that won’t hurt you in any way is by far more beneficial to the development of the team.  He has to be pushed to the bench next year and let him come in for 15 minutes per game to chuck.  If he’s hot, then you might get your 7 million worth out of him.

Grievas is not a starting PG.  He would be fine as a backup, but isn’t a great defender either.

• Apr 14, 201410:58 am
            by JYD for Life

One more thing…the guy is completely afraid of contact.

He has to be one of the softest players in the league…scared to get hit on both ends of the floor.

• Apr 13, 201411:44 pm
          by Rob

How could anyone be worse at defense than someone who doesn’t play it… Maybe as bad if they also do not play defense but impossible for someone to be worse at something than somebody that just doesn’t play it

• Apr 14, 20141:27 am
            by Tim Thielke

Ummm, every NBA player plays defense. They play it to varying degrees, but Harden is the only player I’ve ever seen not play it at all for a whole possession. And those are a very small percentage of his possessions.

• Apr 13, 201411:52 pm
          by Jodi aka "The Guru"

I agree with oats…

• Apr 14, 20142:31 pm
            by Rob

I disagree, whatever it is that Jennings is doing on the defensive end isn’t called defense, its call slacking off. In order to play defense there has to be some kind of resistance.

• Apr 14, 201412:19 am
          by Lorenzo

I think a lot of the guys @Oats mentioned are poor defenders. The thing is a number of them (not all) offer more/enough on the offensive side for people to overlook their defensive short comings.There really is no point in debating which piece of garbage is more putrid than the other–or in this case defense; most of the guys mentioned (Jennings included) will have defense as one of their weaker suits for the foreseeable future.

The one thing Jennings can excel at is the offensive end of the floor. If the kid can put forth half a mind and play measured basketball he can carve out a niche for himself in the association. And this is where coaching comes in, Jennings needs a coach that get’s the best out of point guards, to a tempered extent he had this with Cheeks at the helm. For Jennings to cease being a liability on the floor (or at least lesser of a liability) he needs to be mentored by the next person that comes in, simple as that. That is if he is still on the roster next year….

• Apr 14, 201412:26 am
          by Parsons

Now which players on that list would you take over Jennings? Only ones I wouldn’t take over Jennings are Kendall Marshall and Raymond Felton. Actually that isn’t even true because I’d take both and just waive them. Both are cheaper so I’d dump them and sign Bledsoe or Lowry. You forgot Jeremy Lin by the way. I think he still starts. Didn’t Beverley go down? I’d take him over Jennings too. If we must have an overpayed PG he’d be a better option.

• Apr 14, 20141:49 am
            by oats

Beverly has started more games this season so he is the starter. Oh, and Beverly started the last game for the Rockets too. Lin isn’t eligible because of that.

As for who I’d take over Jennings, it’s everyone but Felton. NBA contracts are guaranteed so he still counts even if he is cut. It saves $4.3 million next year. Jennings is still a top 30 PG, so only cutting his salary in half is probably less than his actual trade value. Maybe if he expired after next year I’d be ok with that, but he doesn’t. It would only get Detroit up to about $11.5 million or so, and I strongly suspect that Detroit would be outbid on Bledsoe at least. Lowry might get around that, and it would convince me to prefer Felton if Lowry actually could be had at that price. As it stands, I think Lowry could easily end up going for more than that and even if he does end up going for around that I can’t know that he’d sign in Detroit at that price. So I would rather have Jennings and look to trade him. If Detroit doesn’t find at least a prospect to develop into a Jennings replacement then I’m ok with just letting Jennings play out his deal even if I don’t particularly like that plan.

• Apr 14, 201412:42 am
          by frankie d

By what measure?  While lilliard is a below average defender, no way he is as bad or worse. Funny… all the guys you mentioned are western conference guys and i see those guys play the blazers several times a year.  And fat boy felton spent one forgettable year here and i saw his game up close and personal a few times.  No way, no how are those guys anywhere near as incompetent.  For one thing…they actually try.  Even lead-footed vasquez tries.  Isiah thomas didnt go from being one of the last picks in the draft by dogging it one end. Kendall marshall didnt claw his way back into tbe league by saying, ‘f-it…i aint playin no “d”!  Gimme a roster spot!” And you compare a rookie to a 5 year vet?
          No.  Those guys, like vasquez, have physical limitations that make them less than great defenders, but at least they give some type of effort.  They try.  And i will take vasquez and his lead feet and his effort over jennings’ half-a@@ed …i dont know what to call it cause it surely is not playing defense.
          Tell you what…you can have jennings on your team, i will take any of those other guys with a similar roster and i’d bet my life that jennings’ team would lose any series time after time after time.  Of course, such a notion is a bit of a fantasy,  but no more than the idea that jennings stands apart from the worst defenders in the league.  The guy is a dumb, selfish player who is, like josh smith, the best argument possible that players zhould be forced to go to college for at least two years.  The pity is that both jennings and smith are definitely top-tier talents, but they obviously did not have a strong coach when they needed someone to provide direction.

• Apr 14, 201412:45 am
            by Parsons

I agree with every sentence.

• Apr 14, 20141:26 am
            by oats

My list is based on a combination of eye test, stats, and opinions from experts. It’s largely my opinion though, so take that for what it is worth. Yes, they are largely Western Conference players, but that doesn’t mean I’m not capable of watching them play and coming up with opinions on them.

Jennings does try. He is noticeably working harder this year than last, although that effort did seem to slip a bit after the Cheeks firing. One of his big problems is that he gambles too much, which is proof positive that he is putting forth some effort. He can’t be caught trying to hunt for steals if he isn’t trying to play defense. All this talk about him not putting forth any effort on defense is complete nonsense. His overall effort is pretty bad, but that’s true of more than half of the list. All of them play some defense with varying degrees of success.

I hate to break it to you, but Lillard is one of the most disinterested defenders in the league. Most people don’t care because he’s a tremendous offensive player that he’s still an All Star caliber player in a stacked conference, but he absolutely is not trying harder defensively than Jennings. He’s one of the guys that goes all out on offense and frequently takes plays off on the other end. I think Harden is my vote for least engaged defender league wide, but Lillard makes the top 5 at least.

That said, I don’t care all that much about how much effort a guy puts in. Vasquez may be trying harder on a play by play basis, but he’s a worse defender. Same with Thomas and Marshall. As for Felton, he’s fallen off this year. Also, what part of your sentence disqualified me from counting rookies exactly? Burke is not just a flawed defender athletically, he’s one of the few that understands the ins and outs of an NBA defense worse than Jennings does and that counts. He definitely could pass Jennings if he ever learns the ropes, but until he does that he is still a worse defender.

By the way, I’m also not claiming that Jennings stands apart from the worst defenders in the league. All of those guys should be listed when talking about the bad defensive PGs, and that includes Jennings. I have him a bit higher than some of them, but it’s not like there is a lot of separation. Nor did I say anywhere that I like Jennings or want him on my team. I want to upgrade off of him, and the only guy on that list that I wouldn’t trade him for right now is Felton. Even then I’m aware that Felton has been up and down in his career, so if he goes back up he could go back to being better than Jennings on both sides of the ball.

• Apr 14, 20146:18 am
            by frankie d

Imho, jennings often goes for  steals because he doesnt want to defend for an entire shot clock.
            “Oh…i missed the steal!  My bad! I guess i cant guard my man anymore now that i am woefully out of position!”
            And imho it matters a lot if a teammate tries.  It doesnt take a genius to read the body language of his teammates who see jennings bail out of posession after posession, defensively, and then watch him streak downcourt and jack up a quick 3.
            Once, Chauncey looked at him as though he was crazy and walked as far away from him as he could as they both left the court.  Even a guy like chauncey probably struggles to not say something.  I have no idea what sports you follow where teammates dont credit a guy for an honest effort even if he is not great at a certain aspect.  I see something very different in every level of BB.
            But a teammate who doesnt try?  Even in a pick up game those guys are poison.

• Apr 14, 20142:58 pm
          by JOB

It’s hard to see Lillard being better for us this past season than BJ. Surely his %s would drop with fewer good shooters/offense players around him, and his already mediocre assist numbers… he really can barely run offense. BJ was approaching 4/1 a/t in less packed schedule months for us, that’s not easy.

• Apr 14, 20144:35 pm
            by oats

Lillard is hitting 39% of his 3 point attempts. The Pistons have the big guys needed to suck players in towards the paint, and both Monroe and Smith excel at that pass back out to 3 point shooters. There is a tendency for teams that do a good job scoring in the paint to find it easier to shoot 3s. His 2 point shooting might drop a bit because when he gets to the paint he would find it more crowded, and as a result he’d probably settle for more mid range shots instead of getting to the rim. The 3 point shooting should still be good, and possibly even better. I really can’t see his percentages dropping enough to make Jennings the better player.

• Apr 14, 20146:00 pm
            by JOB

interesting theory… did it work for other transfers to the Monroe/Drummond front court Pistons? BJ went down 3% i believe. lillards 36.5% after the allstar break, and before includes his 47% december which appeared to be a major outlier.

• Apr 14, 20147:52 pm
            by oats

There are a lot of stats that back up the idea that scoring in the paint makes 3 point shooting easier. That is the general trend, and the reverse is also true because good 3 point shooting teams tend to have an easier job scoring in the paint. There was actually a big report on this at the Sloan conference not to long ago, but I don’t have the link handy.

There obviously isn’t an example of it in Detroit this year, but there is some evidence for it from last year. Jose Calderon was shooting 43% in Toronto and then shot 52% in Detroit after the trade. For that matter, Prince was shooting 43% before the trade and dropped to 37% in Memphis. I know Memphis is actually pretty good at scoring in the paint, but he went from the 2nd best team in Detroit to the 8th best in Memphis. As for Jennings, he’s always been an up and down shooter. Look at his year by year stats. 37% as a rookie, 32% in year 2, 33% in year 3, 37% in year 4, and 34% this year. I’d consider his numbers pretty inconclusive. I understand the problem with this argument. It’s like I’m suggesting that the guys that improved were due to the team scoring in the paint while dismissing the guys that had some drop off as just par for the course for those guys. That’s kind of the problem when asked to come up with specific examples of a trend though, because there are always going to be guys that buck the trend.

• Apr 13, 20148:02 pm
    by T Casey

Brandon Jennings makes Kyle Lowry look like World B. Free… Literally, he just made Kyle Lowry look like World B. Free today.

• Apr 14, 20141:50 pm
      by JOB

to be fair, Lowry mangled many many back courts this season.

• Apr 13, 20148:40 pm
    by Huddy

You forgot luigi, his performance was forgetable.

• Apr 13, 20149:09 pm
    by Kathy Clater

To your credit, at least you’ve openly admitted that you just don’t like Peyton Siva.  It’s certainly true that he did not shoot well today, but to say that he didn’t play “a lick of defense” is just untrue.  From Keith Langolis at pistons.com:
    Peyton Siva made his mark on another game for the Pistons, helping stabilize the game for the Pistons in the second quarter after their defense got shredded for 42 points on 74 percent shooting in the first quarter. Siva played XX minutes and contributed nine points, four assists and his usual aggressive defense. Nobody helped their standing for next season more in the final weeks of the season than Siva. The Raptors shot 74 percent in the first quarter and scored 42 points, equaling the season’s worst defensive scoring quarter of the Pistons’ season. Siva’s aggressive defense turned the game on that end with the Raptors managing just 45 points in the middle two quarters before DeRozan’s fourth-quarter eruption.

• Apr 14, 20141:34 am
      by Tim Thielke

I don’t dislike Siva. He’s probably a lovely guy. But I don’t think he has what it takes to compete in the NBA. And I don’t think he is particularly close. And every game he confirms my suspicions.

Also, the fact that you’re quoting Langlois is laughable. He is probably the least reliable source of information about the Pistons out there. If you had quoted someone I had never heard of and couldn’t find anything about by googling, I would take that as a better source.

• Apr 14, 20148:23 am
      by Huddy

If you can find a Keith Langolis quote about the Pistons that contains a negative opinion about the team or existing players I will consider taking this quote about Siva into consideration.

• Apr 14, 201411:03 am
        by JYD for Life

He is employed by the team, so you’re right, you won’t ever see anything negative out of him.

• Apr 14, 20141:04 pm
          by Huddy

It’s like relying on the PR department at Philip Morris for your info on the health effects of smoking in the 50s.

• Apr 13, 20149:16 pm
    by Ken

Not to rain on Monroe’s parade, but it should be noted that his big 2nd half started exactly when Amir left the game.
    In the first half against Amir he was 1-2 FG with like 3 pts, I think, and had a bunch of turnovers.
    So going off on Patrick Patterson and Tyler Hansbrough in the 2nd half shouldn’t really be celebrated as some great accomplishment. Also should be noted that Toronto had no PF to make him look bad on defense.
    If he got to a play team devoid of any scoring threat at PF every night, he would be an all star if all he had to do was score. Unfortunately that is not reality, and he is required to defend his position too against the rest of the league, where he will continue to be a liability.
    So I wouldn’t take anything from this game in his regard. Against elite PFs (and many just good PFs) he routinely gets outplayed. Therefore there is no reason he should paid in the elite salary bracket.

• Apr 13, 201411:01 pm
    by Oracle

I was at the game. The two most egregious absences from this article are: 1. No mention of the massive presence of Raptor fans there, filling the palace with”let’s go raptors” and cheers at improper moments. And 2. Tony Mitchell’s numbers may look great when you except that he had 4 FOULS IN THE FIRT QUARTER! He only played 7 minutes because he fouled every 90 seconds he was on the floor!

• Apr 14, 20141:36 am
      by Tim Thielke

So Loyer should have let him foul out. Then there’d be nothing to complain about. You can’t convince me that Loyer was worried about not having him available down the stretch.

• Apr 14, 20141:48 pm
        by JOB

we disagree a bit on monroe v boozer, but completely agree on Mitchell. Esp when you consider, as we both also agree, that Siva is probably not an NBA guy, why have there not been many many more minutes for Mitchell?? he needs evaluation now. BJ, KCP, Luigi, JJ, Mitchell. 1-5. Whoever we keep/trade/bench i think we can all agree we have rebounds, blks, big man paint points, and steals figured out for a while… it’s the rest of the game of basketball that’s struggling. Though i would also say BJ’s assist/to numbers during our ‘decent streak’ (nov dec) indicate we have a passer too.

• Apr 14, 20148:10 am
      by hoophabit

Did you really expect that a 6’7″ rookie forward was going to contain their center single handedly?  Smart of Loyer to finally give Mitchell some real minutes under such favorable conditions.

• Apr 13, 201411:54 pm
    by Jodi aka "The Guru"

I can’t wait until this season is over with…I’ve been hiding for a while because how terrible we’ve played and how terrible our front-office is…Our team better make something positive happen this summer or else I’m going to apply for the vacant GM position…

• Apr 14, 20141:33 am
    by Swani

Still alive for #7! Go kings (Phx is beatable) and OKC. Does anyone know what happens if we tie with Sac? Coinflip for 7?

• Apr 14, 20141:39 am
      by Tim Thielke

Yes, it would be a coin flip for #7 in the pecking order and one extra lottery combination.

Seven’s 43 and eight’s 28 would be combined and split up as 36 and 35.

• Apr 14, 20145:25 am
        by gmehl

I gotta feeling SAC is going to beat Phoenix and we’ll lose to OKC but then we’ll then lose the coin flip. That will be the big f**k you to all piston fans to top off a nightmare season. Let’s all just pray that it doesn’t get any worse and a 9th to 14th team jumps us and we get nothing. I won’t rest easily until it’s confirmed.

• Apr 14, 20145:25 am
          by gmehl

Keeping our pick that is!

• Apr 14, 20149:34 am
          by Tim Thielke

Well that scenario would not increase the likelihood of keeping the pick, but it would increase how likely the Pistons are to jump into the top three, so I’d take it.

• Apr 14, 20148:15 am
    by hoophabit

Honestly, if the Pistons don’t move up, losing the pick this season really isn’t disaster.  Who are we likely  going to get at 8 that will make that much difference?  Of course, I’d prefer that we’d never been put in this position, but we’re surrendering a first to Charlotte at some point.  That said, of course I hope we keep the pick and some great talent falls to the Pistons or they get the great surprise of the draft.

• Apr 14, 20143:45 pm
      by Huddy

“Were surrendering a picl to Charlotte at some point” is only a solid argument for losing the pick to not be a disaster if you think the Pistons will remain bottom feeders next year…possible, but I’d prefer to hope the team gets their act together and next year when they give up a pick it is in the Mid or higher range.