Pistons have it good compared to NYK…

Essentials

• Teams: New York Knicks (21-39) at Detroit Pistons (23-36)
  • Date: March 3, 2014
  • Time: 7:30 p.m.
  • Television: FSD

What to look for

The Detroit Pistons are mired in a four-game losing streak, which is causing them to lose ground in the race for the final Eastern Conference playoff spot. What’s more, the defeats have not been all that close.

During the streak, Detroit has been losing games by 8.8 points per game. They need a change in fortunes, and perhaps tonight is when that occurs. The Pistons will host the stumbling New York Knicks.

New York is in the midst of a six-game losing streak that makes them look practically like the Philadelphia 76ers. During this run, the Knicks are losing on average by 15 points per game.

Philly (currently on a 14-game losing streak) is losing games on average by 10.8 points this season, which suggests that they are closer to New York in terms of output than most would be willing to acknowledge.

It’s an interesting place for New York to be considering that owner James Dolan reportedly stated earlier in the season that he thought the team had enough to win the title this year. Yikes!

The Knicks were never truthfully talented enough to contend for a championship this season, but they should be much better than what they have looked like this season.

One of the issues plaguing the team is the inability to play in concert with each other on offense, and the complete lack of accountability on defense. Knicks players routinely are the last people in the arena to notice their own defensive breakdowns.

For instance, in yesterday’s loss against the Chicago Bulls, Joakim Noah conducted a basketball clinic on backdoor passing. For all the talent Noah possesses, none of the Knicks ever realized that the Chicago players wanted to be overplayed so that they could cut hard to the basket for scores courtesy of the Bulls center.

In related news, New York is second to last in defensive efficiency.

Fair or not, this will be a mark on Carmelo Anthony, who just happens to be playing the best basketball of his career during this mess of a season. I have been critical of Anthony previously, but this year from hell is one of the most fascinating developments in recent memory.

All-Stars that are playing at the peak of their powers usually produce wins, but that simply has not been the case in Gotham. Since the All-Star break, the Knicks have only been victorious once in their eight tries despite the fact Melo has been sensational.

During this timeframe, Anthony is averaging 32.5 points, 8 rebounds and 2.8 assists on 47.4 percent shooting from the floor and a sizzling 44.1 percent 3-point shooting. In addition, Anthony has played hard and remained engaged throughout the course of this stretch.

An argument could be made that Anthony has ceased caring about the season, and that he is instead focused on securing the biggest deal possible elsewhere this offseason when he hits free agency. Obviously, there is little proof to suggest this, but it has to be in the back of the minds of fans.

The Knicks are on the verge of becoming the league’s laughingstock… again (remember the Stephon Marbury years?). Last season, some New York fans were convinced the Orange and Blue were going to make it to the NBA Finals, and it resulted in this amazingly comical fan commentary (language not safe for work, but it’s worth a few giggles, especially when we know how their season ended).

This time around, the mood is much more somber in the Big Apple, and it’s certainly warranted. New York is now looking for very little victories (perhaps even moral ones), because of the way this season has gone. The team is losing games and perhaps even its franchise cornerstone in the process.

As bad as Detroit needs a win tonight, New York needs it more. That doesn’t mean they will play like it though based on their recent string of games.

Read about the Knicks

Knickerblogger

• Mar 3, 20147:01 pm
    by Brandon Knight

Now is the time to step up! Pistons must win at least 5 of the next 7 games if they really want to get back to the playoffs!

• Mar 3, 20147:10 pm
      by gmehl

Hell no that ship has already sailed. NOW is the time to cut our losses and do exactly that… lose. The ONLY thing winning this game will do is push us towards the danger zone. Brandon Knight i’m starting to get suspicious that you’re a Bobcats fan that is after our draft pick this season. Either that or your the most optimistic fan in the world. If the latter is the case then god have mercy on your poor soul.

• Mar 4, 201412:19 am
        by Brandon Knighg

The Pistons still have time to make a push! The Hawks are sucking!!

• Mar 3, 20148:10 pm
    by Brian

Looking good so far – Pistons down by 8 after 1st period. If they just stick to their usual play, this loss is in the bag. Rather important, too, since New York has not been able to beat any one else recently.

• Mar 3, 20149:49 pm
    by gmehl

Oh well… bye bye Rodney Hood, Doug McDermott or Tyler Ennis. I hope the one of you that get selected enjoys wearing a Hornets jernsey :-(

• Mar 3, 20149:53 pm
    by Parsons

Holy God the Knicks suck. I don’t want to take this win away from us but they suck. Really bad.

• Mar 3, 201410:21 pm
    by I HATE LOSING (Predicting A Strong Finish)

Drummond played all but 2 mins….is that Good for him? probably not….but he is out mist dominate and game changing player….

• Mar 3, 201410:29 pm
    by Murph

The Knicks have surrounded Anthony with dreadful personnel.  Letting Lin walk in favor of Raymond Felton was a disaster.

And they’re paying Amare, Bargnani and JR Smith a combined $39 million a year.

Melo would be insane to re-sign.  The Knicks are terminal.  Melo should sign with the Lakers.

• Mar 3, 201410:52 pm
    by pablum

First some appropriate props to J.M. Poulard for the exceptional write up here — and no, not a  shred of ass kissing, fuck any pro-scribe here who refuses to stand up for his words, speaking of which I have plenty — but the props to Poulard are genuine. This is how you write up a goddamn preview, with a nod to the Bulls and whether they’ll play the same “over-play” strategy with us.

And now to our victory. First a pause. I take this victory like Sampson, or whoever the fuck it was, Victor Mature for sure, and wield it like the jaw bone of of an ass — a mule’s ass to be specific — and I fucking bash this son of a bitch like Sampson or whoever the fuck it was over all over your giant tanking ass heads. I take this fucking victory , nay, I take little Will Bynum, I take Bynum, Bynum’s ass and I bash your giant tanking ass heads with it.
    (1) Drown in the bathos-pathos of your own words. (I coined the term “bathos-pathos” because it saved me the troubled of knowing the refined distinction between bathos and pathos.):
    Pistons Should Tank. And Tank Hard.
    Loyer. Getting the Job Done. By Tanking Hard.
    Loyer. A+. For Getting the job done and Losing. Ha. Ha. Get the joke?
    I take Bynum’s ass. And smash such foolish silly tankery to tatters. 22 games left. Fight to win every fucking one of them until the end with all you have to prove who you are and what you will be.

On a lighter note, all of sturm-und-drang of the last 24 hours over whether pro-scribes here are going to accurately report the content of games has given me insight driven of our hard fought Andre Drummond Chamberlin ass whipping victory tonight over the historic New York Knicks. Actually give both teams warriors credit — they both fought like hell to win. But to my small revelation: Since Dan gave “Loyer an A+ for getting the job done and tanking hard” for our loss to the Rockets, he must therefore, by his own exact logic, give Loyer an “F” tonight for winning. For “NOt getting the job done.” For not “Tanking hard.”. And for not Losing. Yep. Good, old, howdy-dowdy Dan. Must give Loyer an “F” for winning. In fact, logically, the team should all get “F”s for the same reason. Logic demands it. You know this true cult of the analytics.

So I got to thinking, as the Trophy left the room rolling her soft brown eyes at me, I got to thinking, what would one possibly call such a predicament? What do you call wanting to “help your team lose.” What do you call rooting for defeat before the battle has begun? What do you call rooting against victory?! Very, very, powerful and sobering questions, you’d all agree. And then it hit me. This memory of when I sold Buicks in the 70′s in Hamtramck, before I wrote books, back in the day when I knowingly sold lemons to people because that was my job. And it hit me. You call it a Feldman.

• Mar 3, 201411:03 pm
      by Ken

hahahahah best post ever

• Mar 3, 201411:56 pm
      by Max

Beautiful.  Love the spirit.
      Andre Drummond just tied Bill Laimbeer for the most double doubles for a season in Pistons’ history at the age of 20 and did it on a night when he pulled down 26 boards.
      And you know what I really love to point out about Rebounds by Dre Drummond?   He required no tanking.
      Anyway, I’m taking this victory time in the pool with Hedy Lamarr.

• Mar 4, 201411:00 am
        by pablum

TX Ken and Max! And you have superb taste in Trophy’s, Max!

• Mar 4, 201411:12 am

Holy fuck, what is going on in this comments section?

“Fight to win every fucking one of them until the end with all you have to prove who you are and what you will be.”

What you will be is a proven shitty team that loses a sure opportunity to add talent. Congratulations! Your prize is watching Josh Smith shoot long twos and watching Brandon Jennings get blown by for the next three seasons!

But seriously, enjoy your prize. You’ve earned it with gibberish, nonsensical, dumbass posts like this. Maybe we can throw in a Joe Dumars contract extension for you as well. Fingers crossed.

• Mar 4, 201411:40 am
        by pablum

Anyone who’s ever played the game knows exactly what I’m saying. Exactly. But you go ahead with your usual arm-chair ad hominem baseless hot-head antics admonishing us to lose games and tank; You go throw Loyer’s likely one&only shot at the bigs under the bus — fuck him anyway, he’s getting paid! — You go ahead Patrick Hot-Head. I’m fine with all of it. As long as you report the contents of games accurately and have the respect for your readers to answer for your words. I’m fine with all of it. You know why? The team is proving my point. The coach is proving my point. Anyone who believe in the integrity of the game is proving my point. So take your we should tank at all costs ass back to your village of the Lemmings, where you praise coaches for losing and lambaste them for winning. Oh, you Lemmings. You’re just smarter than all of us. “YOU DON’T SAY…..”

• Mar 4, 201412:04 pm

“Anyone who’s ever played the game knows exactly what I’m saying.”

Where’d you play, superstar?

“But you go ahead with your usual arm-chair ad hominem baseless hot-head antics admonishing us to lose games and tank”

I’ve written like two posts this year man. Not sure what you’re referencing. I don’t ultimately care that much if the team wins or loses, but anyone who doesn’t clearly see the value of keeping a lottery pick is misguided. The Pistons NEED talent. They can’t afford to lose an easy way to acquire a potentially really good player. Also, admonishing “us to lose games and tank?” When did you join the team?

“You go throw Loyer’s likely one&only shot at the bigs under the bus — fuck him anyway, he’s getting paid!”

Why is it his one and only shot? Coaches get recycled all the time. Hell, Michael Curry is talked about as a potential head coaching candidate again, and he looked like a train wreck his first go around. Terry Stotts in Portland wasn’t successful in his first run and got another chance. Vinny Del Negro somehow convinced two different teams, both good ones even, to hire him. Hell, Maurice Cheeks had three chances despite his first two stops being awful. Mike D’Antoni got fired after one season in Denver and got another gig. It’s fairly common. If you’re connected and not a complete disaster (see: John Kuester), you’ll have more chances. If Loyer proves he can manage a team well, even if they don’t win in this brief audition, he’s respected enough to get at the very least another job as a lead assistant and potentially another look as a head coach.

“You go ahead Patrick Hot-Head.”

Ha. I’m not a hot head. I’m actually very calmly thinking that you are a lunatic. Just sitting here sipping my tea, laughing at jerks on the internet. Calm as can be.

“As long as you report the contents of games accurately and have the respect for your readers to answer for your words.”

I write a mailbag here at least twice a month and have never rejected a question about anything related to myself, the site, whatever. Feel free to submit anything you’d like answers about.

“The team is proving my point. The coach is proving my point.”

I have no clue what your point is. Was it that the Pistons would lose seven of nine games and their only two wins in that stretch would be over the horribly slumping Knicks and Hawks?

“So take your we should tank at all costs ass back to your village of the Lemmings, where you praise coaches for losing and lambaste them for winning.”

It depends on organizational objectives, honestly. By all rights when Rose got hurt and Deng got traded for very little, the Bulls looked like their management was satisfied to tank. But you know what happened? Their players played harder, tougher and better, they made up for significant losses from their roster and they’re once again going to be an incredibly tough out for either Miami or Indiana when they meet in the playoffs. I respect the hell out of that. The Pistons, on the other hand, played like they were tanking at a point in the season when they were very much alive for the playoffs, fired their coach right after two fairly impressive wins and have lost 7 of 10 since. Does it seem like they’re employing a strategy of a motivated, hungry team that desperately wants to win? Or are they embodying the characteristics of a an organization led by a lame duck GM, interim coach and players who quite honestly have have often looked like they are clueless about what it takes to win? You are honestly telling me that you can look at the entire picture of what the Pistons have done this season and come to the conclusion that you buy the organization line that they are motivated and doing everything they can to win? If you believe that, I think you need to check your address to make sure you aren’t in Lemming Village by mistake.

“You’re just smarter than all of us.”

Not at all. Just wish you could recognize how infantile and easily refutable your assertions are.

• Mar 4, 20142:28 pm
            by pablum

(1) “I am not a hot-head. I’m just…calmly sitting here sipping my tea laughing at [lunatics] and jerks on the internet.”
            [I've seen your posts. You scare people with your temper. And did this strange calm visit you before or after you told me to lick your balls? Because, we all know, when we think of calm pro-hoop's writers, we know the first thing they do is tell their readers is to lick their balls.]

(2)”I just wish you could recognize how infantile and easily refutable your assertions are.”

[Yes, you are easily refuting infantile assertions when you attack the person making them as a "brainless moron lunatic infant weirdo" who should lick your balls. You are defining yourself as a total pro with reasoned calm analysis -- by attacking the person. And let's just put an end to your stupendously shallow analysis here (note, I'm addressing your analysis). The bottom line is this. It is perfectly reasonable on every level to take a position against tanking. There's an established and sound critical body of analysis to take this view. It is no different than arguing in academia whether a theory is valid or not. There are certain subjects where enough established critical work exists to legitimately take differing positions. Again, this is surely the case with tanking, albeit all the pros in the game want to get rid of tanking because it can indeed threaten the very integrity of the game. Read about it. You'll learn I'm right. So stop with your uneducated and infantile slams on those of us who oppose tanking on reasoned and ethical grounds. Be a pro. Or just be a hot-head.]

(3)”I have no clue what your point is.”

[Maybe you would if you'd engaged me over the weeks I've been discussing tanking, instead of finally deigning to engage my words piece-meal and, of course, exhorting me to lick your balls. My point is transparent and simple. Dan has urged the Pistons to tank. He has falsely accused Loyer of tanking and factually mis-reported on the play of our team against the Rockets as tanking -- all of which he has refused to comment on (and I'm not the only one to call him out for these comments.) Because of this, Dan now finds himself in the utterly humiliating and absurd position of praising Loyer and our team for losing, even going so far as to give Loyer an A+ for losing and a D+ for winning. SO are you ready, now, Patrick? Are you ready for the point? Loyer is NOT tanking. The team is NOT tanking. The Pistons are busting their butts off to WIN. And in the process making Tankers look like fools. Just like Dan's cheering for defeat and rooting against victory makes him look like a fool. And you too. Because your precious little 8th rd. draft pick is a complete gamble. It's pure speculation. And the players and coach are dealing with the reality of the here and now, to say nothing of their pride as pros -- which you, Dan, and the tankers think nothing of throwing under the bus for your own tiny speculative self interested claim that tanking will, ipso facto, make the team better.
            Prove me wrong, Patrick. You go read Dan's words to Loyer. Tell coach it's his job to lose games, but to keep the players engaged in games. Then tell the players the same thing. Then tell Loyer, not to worry about tanking because in your opinion it won't affect his future job prospects as ahead coach in the league at all! Nope. Not one bit! Tell Loyer that and give him the coaching examples you gave me! (OMG)...
            You haven't got the balls too because you know damn well Loyer and the paleyrs would look at you like you were a piece of condescending, arrogant, shit....Get my point now?]
            (4) “The Pistons played like they were tanking [this] season.”
            [This is total and complete speculation -- without any factual basis. Yet you premise your entire argument on it. All I'll say is this: No player or coach or Joe, or anyone in the organization would agree with you -- on or off the record. And if you believe otherwise you're lying to yourself. And more importantly you're insulting them as professionals for saying/imputing that the coaches/team have actually tanked. It's an insult. And it's bewildering that you don't get this. As bewildering, but not as idiotic, as saying the firing of Cheeks is evidence of tanking. I mean, do you even read the press? Gores said the team was completely "UNDER-Achieving"! Cheeks was fired 2 days later. Your tank brain translates this as a evidence that we tanked?! And I'm a brainless infant?]

(5) “Where’d you play superstar?”

[LMOMFAO. Who ever said "superstar" you obvious hack? And what I said about players and tanking was 100% true. Tanking is the ultimate insult to you as a  pro because this is your life and you know any time on the court could be the last and you don't TANK that away. Got it, amateur?! As for who I'd played with. I was never good enough to even make Div. III hoops, but, I played under coach Stan Heath at WSU (before he went to MSU and beyond!) regularly in open scrimmages and I was very fortunate enough to be mentored in my 20's by none other than one E. Robinson, who was the second best high school player at Finney, 2nd best behind, yep, completely true, Mr. Earle Cureton. That good enough for you, Pat?]
            …Might take some Xanax with that tea…

• Mar 4, 20143:06 pm

“Why you take 800 words to bore the hell out of everyone with shit you could have said in a 1/4 of that is beyond me, but I’ll be happy to kick your ass too — with far less words.”

Your post is 980. Also, I thought I did say it in far less words with the deez nutz post?

“And did this strange calm visit you before or after you told me to lick your balls?”

During, I think? I dunno. Timeline is messy.

“It is perfectly reasonable on every level to take a position against tanking. ”

Also perfectly reasonable to take a position for it, as many franchises have done. Also, supporting it doesn’t mean liking it. Teams do it because there are competitive advantage/talent acquisition reasons to justify it. It’s not against the rules. And the Pistons have great incentive to do it if it means keeping a pick in a loaded draft when they have serious talent issues on the roster. Sure, it’s reasonable to be anti-tanking provided you are not talking about living in Lemming Village and quoting Shakespeare or whatever the hell you are doing in some of your posts. You haven’t really provided any compelling reasons not to do it, other than “OMG the players and coaches always try hard!!”

“Dan’s cheering for defeat and rooting against victory makes him look like a fool.”

I would argue that actually expecting this team to be able to win is more foolish than rooting for them to lose in the interest of holding onto a valuable asset. Anyway, best case scenario is their young guys close the season strong, they miss the playoffs and they win the lottery, making all of this conversation moot. That’s actually the ideal scenario, albeit an improbable one.

“You haven’t got the balls too because you know damn well Loyer and the paleyrs would look at you like you were a piece of condescending, arrogant, shit”

As they should. Tanking doesn’t mean telling players not to try hard. It means the front office/ownership takes steps to ensure that a team getting some meaningless wins in a lost season doesn’t do long-term damage to the franchise by causing them to lose a lottery pick.

That question shouldn’t be addressed to players or Loyer, anyway. It should be addressed to Dumars and Gores. Essentially, “Wouldn’t it be disastrous if your team both misses the playoffs AND loses a lottery pick this season, a scenario which looks more and more likely by the day?”

““The Pistons played like they were tanking [this] season.” This is total and complete speculation — without any factual basis.”

Well, there’s some factual basis in that this team has occasionally played such stupid basketball that you have to toss logical explanations out the window. Is that tanking? I don’t know. But they certainly haven’t looked like a team that plays with consistent effort, toughness and intelligence. I didn’t say that they were tanking, I just said that their lackadaisical play could easily lead people to believe they aren’t trying particularly hard.

“As bewildering, but not as idiotic, as saying the firing of Cheeks is evidence of tanking.”

Again, not evidence, just a really weird decision that was not logically explained. If anything, hiring a coach as obviously ill-prepared for the job as Cheeks in the first place was more evidence of tanking than firing him. The timing of firing him — after the team had played two decent games and won both — was strange. Also, entrusting an interim coach with no previous head coaching experience to take over when you have a playoff mandate and not many games left is also a strange decision for a team supposedly doing everything to win.

“Tanking is the ultimate insult to you as a  pro because this is your life and you know any time on the court could be the last and you don’t TANK that away. Got it, amateur?”

Again, players don’t tank. Organizations do. As an organization, the Pistons should be more concerned with preserving an asset than stringing together a few wins in a lost season. That doesn’t mean you go tell your players not to try hard. It does mean you give more minutes to young players (Mitchell and Siva, for example), it does mean you experiment more with lineups to find something that might work better next season, it does mean that you sit talented players who don’t play hard or smart in favor of less talented players who do.

And I’m glad your prolific playing career has informed your NBA knowledge so much. We should all be so lucky to have your experience and knowledge of the game that can only be attained from playing pickup games 300 years ago.

• Mar 4, 20148:10 pm
            by pablum

That’d you piss away my 30 years as a balla’ as nothing is what’s exactly fucked about you as pro-scribe; you write off people like they’re stats, and all decisions seem based on business and nothing else. It’s supreme arrogance the way you’ve all written about John Loyer on these pages. You’ve shoddily accused him of tanking, mandated that he tank, highly criticized him for winning, denied there’s any plausible consequence that tanking will even effect his future NBA career ( how white of you, btw), and refused to acknowledge that much of what you’ve written here would be extremely offensive to him. That’s what you guys have done here. I’m a 100% correct In stating this.

As for me: I told you I balled under coach Stan Heath. And played regularly with Earle Cureton’s teamate at Finney. You fucking arrogant lemming. Stan Heath took Kent State to an Elite Eight, or did tank brain forget this. I played organized scrimmages under coach Heath, real fucking games, and you wrote it off as nothing. Just, Just, Go……

• Mar 4, 20149:36 pm
            by pablum

No, wait. Comeback. Comeback Clint. Cause I want to fucking know how you’re any fucking different than me as you claim to be just a fan on this site. A fan who gets to celebrate being a sarcastic ass-hole. Who gets to tell people to lick his balls and have it endorsed by Dan Feldman. You are skilled Pat , indeed.

But the real reason I’m writing is hoop’s related, but fear not, I’ll ask you to go again. But for the record, I want to clarify some real points. You’re whole discussion  of tanking here is completely uninformed with the month or so of discussion, so you don’t even have a current knowledge of tanking, as discussed in these very pages. Suffice to say, you blithely stated players don’t tank. This is just factually false if you simply read the articles Dan himself linked. Just so you know, Clint. (Tell me, does Dan pay you extra for troll extermination, or is that just something you enjoy because you’re a fan Who likes to fuck with other fans now?)

• Mar 4, 201411:43 pm

“you write off people like they’re stats, and all decisions seem based on business and nothing else.”

So I take it you didn’t read the intro to the mailbag post today?

“refused to acknowledge that much of what you’ve written here would be extremely offensive to him. That’s what you guys have done here. I’m a 100% correct In stating this.”

I would venture that there’s been more positive written about Loyer here both by authors and commenters than his predecessors experienced. Shit, if this is offensive to Loyer, I would hope Lawrence Frank never read the comments section here. That guy would be MAD if he did.

“As for me: I told you I balled under coach Stan Heath. And played regularly with Earle Cureton’s teamate at Finney.”

Proud of you? Not sure what you want here. The point is just that playing the game doesn’t necessarily make you more qualified to comment on it than someone who hasn’t. Are you smarter than Erik Spoelstra because Spo never played with Earl Cureton’s friend or whatever?

Also, I know about coach Heath. Saw him all the time when he was recruiting Javontae Hawkins in Flint a few years ago and I was on the Fli City hoops beat at the Flint Journal.

“Just, Just, Go”

This is my house man. If you don’t like the content here, why don’t you find another place to comment? That’s not being a jerk either … serious question. Why spend time reading something you obviously dislike?

“so you don’t even have a current knowledge of tanking”

Oh sorry, didn’t realize the practice of teams sneakily getting worse to improve lottery position has changed significantly in the nearly three decades teams have been employing the strategy. What are these new developments that I’m not aware of?

“you blithely stated players don’t tank”

They don’t. I’m positive that no organization trying to tank has gone to their roster and said, “OK guys, we want you to play bad on purpose,” with the players responding, “Sure, OK!” Now, I do think that NBA players occasionally don’t play hard. I believe that NBA players sometimes are more interested in individual stats than helping the team win (if they’re playing for their next contract, for example). I’m sure that players have often picked up on the fact that their front office/ownership doesn’t care about winning, so they in turn don’t play particularly hard because if management doesn’t care, why should they? I’m sure those scenarios, in some variation, have all happened on bad, dysfunctional teams. But I also wouldn’t define that as players being in on a tanking strategy.

“Tell me, does Dan pay you extra for troll extermination, or is that just something you enjoy because you’re a fan Who likes to fuck with other fans now?)”

I actually don’t like to. I would much rather interact with people who have interesting things to say, and I’m convinced you don’t, unless you have more Stan Heath stories to share with the crowd.

• Mar 5, 20146:24 pm
        by Max

Why does trying to win every game this season somehow have anything to do with whether Jennings or Smith will even be on the team beyond this season?   Just silly stuff, Patrick.

• Mar 5, 20148:44 pm

I don’t get the connection you are making?

• Mar 5, 201410:43 pm
            by Max

Patrick said:
            Holy fuck, what is going on in this comments section?

• Mar 5, 201411:28 pm

Got it. It doesn’t. They could be traded. But based on pablum’s comments, he’s satisfied with this roster of “warriors” as he calls them. So I’m assuming that he thinks they are pretty well set and don’t need upgrades, like a lottery pick in a loaded draft for example, and is hoping for Smith and Jennings to play out their contracts here.

• Mar 4, 201412:17 am
    by T Casey

4/10 from the field? Wow. Jennings was on fire tonight.

• Mar 4, 201412:24 am
    by Brandon Knighg

Next season the Pistons should try really hard to get Carmelo Anthony. Please give him whatever he wants…he is the best fit for the Pistons!
    So get Carmelo….Next, trade Jennings and Monroe for Rond
    Our lineup:
    -Rondo
    -Singler
    -Carmelo
    -Smith
    -Drummond
    Contenders no doubt!
    Can this happen? :(

• Mar 4, 201412:49 am
      by T Casey

I’m not a huge Rondo fan, but I’d be all for that. Even better if we could get Lionel Hollins as coach. That would be about the best situation we could ask for. It’s highly unlikely for a lot of reasons, but one can dream.

• Mar 4, 201412:52 am
      by domnick

i like this lineup.. however, we need a SG… Singler is not a good SG…. we want a better SG.

• Mar 4, 20141:02 am
      by Lorenzo

Ignoring the unlikeliness of the said scenario for a second…I will say that line-up would be an upgrade over what’s here at the moment but again it seems to have it’s share of glaring problems. Notably–again–shooting seems like a huge deficiency. There are names there, but I don’t know how sterling the results would be.

• Mar 4, 20149:04 am
        by Jeremy

I don’t think the scenario is necessarily unobtainable but it wouldn’t work out quite that way. They could not make Monroe a qualifying offer which would make him an unrestricted free agent and then renounce their rights to all their free agents. Now that none of their free agents count against the cap because of the renouncement, they could throw their freed up cap space at Melo.
        That kills the Jennings/Monroe for Rondo scenario and it is really more likely that Monroe is either extended or signed and dealt. Plus Ainge has made it pretty clear he wants multiple draft picks in any deal he tries to pull off. Could this fan base deal with the possibility of losing a lottery pick during this draft and then immediately trading away another for a player who is really unproven without KG, Allen, and Pierce around?

• Mar 4, 201412:03 pm
      by MIKEYDE248

It’s funny how the same people who keep wanting the Pistons to get rid of Monroe for not playing defense are the same ones who want the them to go after Carmelo.  That’s all they need is another player that doesn’t play defense that needs to get 25 shots a night on the tail end of their career.

• Mar 4, 20141:02 am
    by I HATE LOSING (Predicting A Strong Finish)

I’d just build around Drummond….a bunch of 3D dudes…

• Mar 5, 201411:40 am
    by Chronik K.I.D.

I just cannot understand why we cannot compete in the depleted Eastern conference!  The lineup was not working and should have had Josh Smith coming off the bench a long time ago…!  Want to shoot those shots?  Go to the bench and think about it some more… Problem is, the coaching staff probably kept encouraging him!  With Smith on the bench, they could constantly rotate lineups having two bigs in at all times… Start with Drummond and Monroe, then sub in Smith for Monroe, run some up-tempo type of thing… Just sucks to see this happen again… Josh Smith’s salary should not be an applicable reason why he is not coming off the bench, Villanueva makes somewhere around that range and he’s been coming off the bench for years…

Should trade Smith to Houston where he can reunite with his friend D. Howard… Try to pry Parsons for him… or even Lin shoot…at least we’d get out of the contract and have cap space again…