Will Bynum for Jerryd Bayless?

A. Sherrod Blakely of CSN New England:

If a minor deal is out there to be made, do not be surprised if Jerryd Bayless and his $3.1 million expiring contract are moved for a player like Detroit’s Will Bynum who makes about $2.79 million which is less than Bayless but has one year remaining on his current deal with the Pistons.

Blakely previously covered the Pistons for MLive before departing for Boston. He likely has a pretty good understanding of both the Pistons’ and Celtics’ approaches nearing the trade deadline.

But I can’t see why Boston would make this trade.

Bayless is better than Bynum, younger than Bynum and has a more palatable contract than Bynum. Even if Bayless costs more this season, that means practically nothing considering Bynum’s contract is a year longer, extending to next season. The Celtics fall below the luxury-tax threshold, so they’re likely unmotivated to cut short-term salary just to add more long-term salary.

If Joe Dumars could pull off this trade, it would be fantastic. It’s not the type of major deal that moves the needle either way, but there’s little downside for the Pistons. That’s also why I’d be shocked if Dumars gets a chance to make this move.

• Feb 18, 201410:12 am
    by Windy

Dump salary…yes please, Bynum is a spark plug that a few teams might bite on…we don’t need him and he sucks on defence…too small and too erratic

• Feb 18, 201410:26 am
    by Huddy

I don’t know enough about Bayless on defense to decide if he is worth anymore than his contract expiring (dont get me wrong…the salary alone is enough).  I love Bynum and on a team where his weaknesses aren’t basically the same as the starting PGs he is probably capable enough in the league as a back up.  More flexibility would be welcome and for this season’s purposes at least Bayless has good size for the position and has shot the 3 pretty well in his seasons with larger samples.

• Feb 18, 201410:29 am
    by Huddy

Apparently Anthony Morrow is available.  Not sure what NO wants for him, but that wouldn’t be a bad small move to make to help to bolster shooting.

• Feb 18, 201411:13 am
      by frankie d

Morrow would be a great move.  He is the kind of shooter the pistons should have been loading up on – instead of signing smith, jennings and drafting kcp – last summer when he was available.  Excellent deep shooter, though he sucks defensively.
      Bayless is  rodney stuckey with more range on his shot.  He gets tunnel vision on his shot and doesnt see anything but the hoop.   Very streaky, but when he is hot he can carry a team. Classic tweener: too slow to guard pgs and too small to guard good sgs and wings.  Not a bad move to get him but know what you are getting into.
      He was here in portland for a couple of years and he was one of those young guys like travis outlaw, jeff pendergraff, and several other good young nba-quality rotation guys the team just dumped.  They had crazy depth with a bunch of young guys like bayless and just gave it away.

• Feb 18, 20141:37 pm
        by JYD for Life

Either of those guys would be ok.
        Bayless most likely wouldn’t add anything significant, but does have better range than Stuckey.

Frankie – you might have been onto something by mentioning another move with Stuckey.
        Boston has a number of pieces that would help the Pistons (Green, Bradley, Humphries, Joel Anthony and Bass), so this could be part of something bigger than just Bynum for Bayless.

Rod is legit and wouldn’t just spout off to make conversation.  He must have heard this from a legit source.

• Feb 18, 201410:42 am
    by Smitty

Draft pick for morrow.

• Feb 18, 201410:48 am
      by Huddy

He only makes like 1.1 and you know what he can do…probably fair to give up a 2nd rounder for him.

• Feb 18, 201411:36 am
    by frankie d

the thought just occurred…
    if he has rodney stuckey why would he want bayless.  they really are such similar players – except for bayless’ range – that it makes no sense to have both on the same team.
    but what if joe has a deal ready to go to trade stuckey, and he needs a replacement for stuckey on the roster?  bayless fits perfectly.  maybe this is an indication that he really is going to trade stuckey.
    just a thought…

• Feb 18, 201411:42 am
    by @GPMasters

Why would Boston want to do this, in a million years?! They are surely looking to clear the decks also no? It’s not like Bynum is an upgrade or even a mildly intriguing piece…

• Feb 18, 20141:07 pm
      by frankie d

you are right.  makes no sense for boston.
      only thing that might factor in is that bynum can, at times, run a team like a real pg.  he does have that ability.  don’t know why he doesn’t do it more often, but he can be a pretty good pg for short stretches.
      bayless does not have that ability at all.  he is always, always looking for his shot.  he’s a pretty good ball handler, but he just doesn’t think like a guy who should run an offense.
      again, bynum plays like that most times, but he does show glimpses of being able to actually work within a structured offense.  maybe ainge thinks stevens can do the same thing for bynum that he did with crawford for a few months and turn him into a serviceable backup pg.

• Feb 18, 201411:44 am
    by pablum

(1) Dan, you wrote Bayless in 2nd# — should be Blakely.
    (2) I woke up this morning and still saw no comment from you, or Patrick, or Vince for writing off the entire NBA future of a 24 year-old Brandon Jennings from ever making the all-star team, on the exact date of February 16, 2014. Now, I don’t want to “hijack” this thread, so I promise I won’t write anything else here period (unless you ask me to), but I would like to know three things, if that’s okay.
    (a) What was it that happened on the date of Febr. 16, 2014 that proved to you and your colleagues that Jennings will never be an all-star for entire NBA career? Did some significant event occur in the 50 games he has thus far played for the Pistons, especially over the last two weeks where he has in fact put up some very impressive numbers for our warriors? My senile old-man brain is just trying to understand why the three of you would so casually put in print that this 24 year-old kid, with his obvious talent and resume, will never play in an NBA all-star game in his entire professional career. What persuades you that making such a statement, as a pro-journalist, is fine, without consequence, like just “shooting the shit” so to speak?
    (b) And the reason I sincerely ask this question above also applies to your own profession. What if you sent  several sample clips of your work to, say, Bill Simmons, and I don’t know how old you  are Dan, but I’m guessing you’re in your mid/late 20′s, but what if Bill Simmons looked at your clips and said to you casually, “You got some talent kid, but you’ll never be good enough to write for Grantland in your entire career.” Please explain to an old-man how this is any different than what you and Patrick and Vince put out there about Brandon Jennings.
    Thanks. Again. I won’t “hijack” this thread. But you guys made a pretty fucking serious indictment of Brandon Jennings’ entire career, but now, apparently refuse to make any comment about it. Even though many people — not just me — voiced their opinions on it. Yet you have all refused to make any further comment on it. Why?

• Feb 18, 20141:12 pm
      by Huddy

In your made up scenario Bill Simmons has direct control over the writer’s ability to achieve the goal of writing for grantland and is a much different relationship than writer to player.  Jennings doesn’t want to work for Pistonpowered (as far as I know, maybe I am going out on a limb).  In the situation in question the opinions of all the writers on here do not in anyway directly impede Jennings ability to become an all star they are simply opinions that they are entitled to and that you should probably just get over.

• Feb 18, 20141:23 pm
      by johnnyboy

Can’t see this trade happening. Why would Ainge bail JoeD out of another poor signing?

@pablum, I agree with your point of it being a tad premature to declare Jennings having no shot of being a future all star. Jennings skill set gives him plenty of room for growth. An argument could easily be made he has a better shot than Monroe.

• Feb 18, 20143:28 pm
      by Brady Fredericksen

If you’re going to comment on a post about Brandon Jennings and All Star Games, you should be doing it in the post that was written about, well, that.

• Feb 18, 20144:03 pm
      by Byron

This post is insane. Acting like writers making predictions is doing some great personal harm to players. Using the worst metaphor I’ve seen in months not to explain your idiotic questions, but to claim they have personal relevance to the writers. And not even in the right thread.

• Feb 18, 20144:28 pm
      by jerrific

The whole point of those Q and A’s is for writers to express their opinions. I don’t understand where all this moral outrage is coming from, but it’s completely unjustified. All they did was express their opinions.
      Also, Jennings has done plenty to make one think he will never be in an all star game. It’s certainly not impossible, but given his career up until this point, it would take some serious improvement. The fact that his position is already filled with more talented and productive players at similar or younger ages makes it seem even more unlikely.

• Feb 18, 201412:53 pm
    by tim*

Dude  your post is the definition of thread hyjacking (not literally, so don’t ask me to cite sources).  You are demanding answers to questions that are meaningless and not related to this topic.  Relax man!
    Anyways I dont see this trade happening.

• Feb 18, 20142:15 pm
    by Smitty

Teams are looking at a Monroe and Stuckey package but Detroit is unwilling to trade Monroe.

• Feb 18, 20142:18 pm
      by Smitty

I got that off Chad Ford’s Tank Rank.

• Feb 18, 20142:33 pm
      by Huddy

I read that too.  It makes sense that teams would want to get both since they will have to pay Monroe a lot they probably want to move a longer deal and have stuckey come off their books.

• Feb 18, 20143:11 pm
        by jamesjones_det

Martell Webster, Bradley Beal, Al Harrington (to make the cap line up) for Stuckey and Monroe (and maybe a 2nd rounder if needed).

Would you do it?

• Feb 18, 20143:30 pm
          by Huddy

I would.  I don’t think WSH would since that is two of their best shooters and Wall has troubles outside.  Wall and Stuckey would be tough to pair together because of their style of play IMO.  I think it leaves a sizeable hole talent-wise at SF and I don’t know how the Pistons fix that based on who is available in FA, but its a pretty good deal.

• Feb 18, 20143:38 pm
            by jamesjones_det

That’s why I didn’t add Ariza but yeah I kind of agree I doubt Washington pulls the trigger, but if they really do want Monroe it gives them a decent way to get him.  If Washington wasn’t in the playoff hunt they might be more receptive but as of now it’s probably a no go.

• Feb 18, 20144:59 pm
    by TMC

@pablum I agree with you. Far to premature. I think Monroe is far closer to his peak as a player than Jennings,Honestly.
    But when Billips was his age he wasn’t better. Plus quit on ny multiple teams so… And worst was said about him.
    This article is a joke!  It should be about if this is our only deal Let’s tank.
    But I predict they will finish below 500 for the remaining games and lose our pick.
    Moose.a max player? Lmao… Let’s watch Josh mcroberts performance tonight

• Feb 18, 20145:01 pm
    by anacaniwelk

pablum, you gotta realize that when you are reading Pistons Powered articles you are in “The Spin Zone.” They take their position on a player and REGARDLESS of what that player does they spin his performance to suit their narrative.  Bunch of closed minded spinners writing this stuff.  You’re not gonna win so just spin it right back at them.  As far as Bayless for Bynum just call it not much for not much.  Immaterial.  Footnote stuff. Not worthy of an article.

• Feb 18, 20146:27 pm
      by Huddy

The ol not worth writing but worth reading and commenting on comment…gets me every time.

• Feb 18, 20146:48 pm
        by anacaniwelk

Huddy, I’m just here to fight the spin. You should too.

• Feb 18, 20147:00 pm
    by Huddy

I don’t agree with everything written in here, but I agree it is unlikely Jwnnjngs makes an all star game not because of spin, because of how many good players are in his same age range, how much of the voting is just popularity, and how small the window for making ones first all star game traditionally is.

If you don’t like the content or the writers you are probably wasting time following the site.  But that’s just my opinion.

• Feb 18, 20148:41 pm
      by JYD for Life

Don’t forget the popularity contest is with the coaches too.
      Probably the biggest reason Smith has never been selected.  I can’t imagine other coaches are huge Jennings fans either.

• Feb 18, 20149:45 pm
      by anacaniwelk

Sorry Huddy the world doesn’t work that way.  It’s never a waste of time to try and right the wrongs, point out the hypocrisy, and call out the evil doers. :)

• Feb 18, 201410:30 pm
        by Tim Thielke

The new definition of “evildoers”, everyone, is “people whose opinions differ from anacaniwelk’s”.

• Feb 19, 20148:13 am
          by Huddy

“Righting” wrongs apparently means complaining in comment sections as well.  That’s how all the greats conquered evil.

• Feb 19, 201411:30 am
            by pablum

I have read nothing but sound reasoning and analysis from Anacaniwelk, so to slam him with the classic village idiot bias that he’s only guided by his own opinions is silly nonsense.
            (1) It’s just as silly nonsense, again, to make an all defining opinion on the date of Febr. 16, 2014 that Brandon Jenings will never be an all-star in his Entire “CAREER.”  And Tim, since you’re here, I’ll ask you to go on record (as I did Patrick/Dab, and Vince who’ve refused to comment on their own words even though at least a dozen folks have posted on this question. (And how does that work? I get ignoring me (not really), but you’re ignoring at least a dozen of your own readers who’ve commented on a topic you guys yourself threw out there and now have had absolutely zero response commentary. Zero. You’ve all just said basically, “Fuck it. We’re not going to talk about it.” Yes you have. But for the record Tim: You’re on Pistons Live (friends, colleagues, and family watching, no doubt!), the question of who on the current Piston’s roster is likely to make an all-star team is asked. So, Tim, brave Tim! Are you going to look in the camera and tell the Piston world (and who else is watching) that “Brandon Jennings will never make an All-Star game in his NBA career.” You going to say that Tim?
            (2) Huddy and all the folks who think Jenings sucks, or that their are easily a dozen or more PGs clearly better than him, or like you Huddy, Oats, Parsons, et al, think Jennings is clearly outside 17-20 range of PG’s — I’ll just throw this Gordian-knot out to you:
            How the fuck can you fairly judge Jenning’s talent here when he hasn’t even had a goddamn SG at his side for this ENTIRE SEASON?! I’m standing like Russell Crowe in Gladiator in the middle of the goddamn colosseum of Rome shouting to all of you: How the fuck can you write of Jenning’s talent at 24 when he has played this entire Piston’s team without a fucking SG?! How?! Chauncey had Rip — that won us the title. Isiah had Dumars — that one us the titles. Kemba Walker, whom ALL of you decisively argue is better than Jennings has Sessions/Henderson! Who the fuck does Jennings have? Garbage and more Garbage.
            And this is where actually playing the game destroys your vaunted analytics. When a PG has a good SG has his backcourt mate then bam! Both their games improve siginficantly. That’s the nature of playing the game in reality. (I’m not done shouting at all of you yet!). “Roman philistines! I again exhort you.”: “How the fuck can you judge Jenning’s as “sub-average,” or crap, when this just turned 24 year-old has played on a Piston’s team that hasn’t even paired him with even a competent SG this entire season?” How I shout into the ruins! How!?”
            (3) And you’re wrong, Huddy, about my Bill Simmons analogy. It’s spot on. Just substitute some lower-chain editor, or free-lance writer who’s been published Grantland for Simmons to to make the analogy work for you. (E.G., Dan, or Patrick, or Tim, shows sample-clips of their work to this person and they say to them, “I’ve looked at your work, you have talent, but not enough ever to be published in Grantland.” (WTF! It still stings as I write it!)

• Feb 19, 20142:59 pm
            by jerrific

Calling people whose opinions differ from your own evildoers is sounds analysis and reasoning? That actually explains like 90% of your posts here.
            You need to chill out dude. It’s okay to have differing opinions, but acting like the writers are idiots and somehow not doing their jobs right because they disagree with what you think is one of the most self absorbed things I’ve ever read. Or you’re trying way to hard to be a troll.

• Feb 19, 20143:22 pm
            by pablum

Do you really think Anacaniwelk believes the writers here are “evil doers”?  Really? Maybe he was being sarcastic, funny? (doesn’t that sound more realistic than, By God, These Piston Powered writers are EVIL!) And look at all the other excellent posts he made here.
            And I have never, never, called any of the pro-scribes here idiots. Never. I’ve said several times I respect their hard work and efforts. And I mean it. That doesn’t mean they can’t have stupid ideas or opinions. And it certainly doesn’t mean I can’t have stupid ideas or opinions either, my man…But I will own all my shit. Like the great Milan Kundera has written about Jesus and the question of whether Jesus actually shit or not (i’m serious. In his nearly Nobel winning prize novel, The Unbearable Lightness of Being). So Kundrea writes (paraphrasing:
            It was Saint Valentinus who resolved this question by writing, “Jesus ate, drank, but did not defecate.” And Kundera’s comment to this was: So, because God gave man free-will, God is not responsible for man’s evil. But he is responsible for man’s shit.”

Well, goddamn it. I’m an Atheist and I sure as hell take responsibility for my own shit. Thank you.

• Feb 19, 20145:53 pm
            by Tim Thielke

“I have read nothing but sound reasoning and analysis from Anacaniwelk”

That doesn’t surprise me one bit as you have consistently demonstrated that what you read (or at least what you reply to) is not actually what was written.

• Feb 19, 20147:32 pm
            by pablum

Tim — I was just about to invite you to join me and my trophy wife,and her sex-addled just divorced girlfriend, to enjoy some fine winy and even finer puffy as we are about to witness our funeral, as said by a lot of people, and some Al Jefferson cult in Beantown. …So what were you saying about my comprehension? Here, hit this…Onward Pistons!

• There are issues regarding the installation of
    spy cameras in the workplace. Make the coupon addict on your
    gift list happy no matter what the holiday is.
    Hence, it is much easier to look for coupons to get a price cut on items such as carpet cleaner rental or laundry
    soap, children’s clothing, office supplies from Office
    Depot and numerous other items.