Will Bynum doesn’t regret standing up to Maurice Cheeks

Will Bynum, who had a minor confrontation with Maurice Cheeks during the Pistons’ loss to the Magic last night, via Brendan Savage of MLive:

"It was in the heat of the moment," said Bynum, who was the last player off the practice floor. "I care. It’s hard for me to sit back and act like I don’t care because I do. All I’m really concerned with is winning. If I see something that’s not right, sometimes in the heat of the moment you kind of say something.

"I don’t regret it. I regret the fact that maybe I was a bit too passionate about it. But other than that, no."

Will Bynum approach Cheeks?

"Nope."

Does he think they’ll speak?

"Nah."

Never change, Will. Never change.

Cheeks, to his credit, thoroughly explained why Bynum got such a short hook – and didn’t return – on a night Brandon Jennings also turned in a dud. Via Vincent Goodwill of The Detroit News:

“It’s been around for a long time. Starters get a little more leeway than guys coming off the bench,” Cheeks said. “I’m harder on point guards than normal because I think they have a huge impact on the game. Their value is pretty special.”

“(Shooting) is one aspect of the game,” Cheeks said. “You can still be out there trying on the floor, like I thought Brandon was — trying — despite shooting 5 for 23.”

On some level, I agree with this. Jennings is a better player than Bynum, which is why Jennings starts over Bynum. No matter how well either plays in the small sample of a partial game, Jennings is still better than Bynum. So, Jennings should get a longer leash.

However, it seems Cheeks is relying a lot on effort. Is he really implying Will Bynum wasn’t playing hard enough? MFWB? Really?

• Feb 6, 20146:55 pm
    by gmehl

I think its pretty clear that Cheeks has lost his lockerroom. It all started with his domestic battery charge (which was dropped) to various run ins with Josh Smith to now one with Will Bynum. I mean coaches and players will always have confrontations whether the teams winning or losing but its easier to put disputes aside when your winning cause winning cures everything but not so when your losing. They say that a TEAM is judged on how tight they are more when they are losing then when they are winning. I get the distinct feeling from the outside looking in that the players know what is wrong and you will see more blowups like the one we’ve just seen with Willy B so i say buckle up cause things are about to get bumpier.

• Feb 6, 20147:05 pm
    by James

I think that’s a TON OF HORSE SHYT FROM CHEEKS. The arrant disregard for team play by Jennings and Smith is GLARINGLY OBVIOUS, including the total lack of a functional game plan or play calling, Cheeks is either stupid, blind or both! GTFOH!

• Feb 6, 20147:31 pm
    by Jay

Wait so Dumars is still losing his job right?

• Feb 6, 20147:48 pm
    by Parsons

Sorry, I’d rather take my chances with Bynum than Jennings and his 5 for 23. 21% shooting? Really? Be a Point guard and spread the damn ball around. I’d really rather we just kept Knight. Knight plays hard, plays defence, and is 5 million less. He also plays like he gives a damn rather than put up disgraceful 5 for 23 nights. Not to mention we gave up Middleton too. He’s on par with Singler maybe even better. We have too many players who care ONLY about themselves and no one who cares about the team. You CANNOT win like this. This isn’t even anything new Jennings and Smith have always been selfish and we think it a good idea to put them on the same team. Oh but punish Bynum for actually giving a damn. Makes sense.

• Feb 6, 20148:10 pm
    by James

Dude, I CRINGE every time I think about them trading Middleton. That was your quintessential 3 and D guy, Bruce Bowen style. And yes, I look at Knight and I see a kid who cared, stayed in the gym and the weight room, Jennings weighs what 172lbs? No way in hell his body will stang up by 30-31. Just like Afflalo and Amir Johnson, I think Dumars is going to regret trading those guys away.

• Feb 6, 20148:27 pm
    by Huddy

“Shooting is just one part of the game”…very true Maurice.  Defense is also a part…around half, and Jennings plays none.  If he’s shooting 20% and not playing defense…that’s a long leash.

• Feb 6, 20149:02 pm
    by gmehl

I think its pretty clear that Cheeks has lost this locker room. It all started with his domestic battery charge (which was dropped) to various run ins with Josh Smith to now one with Will Bynum. I mean coaches and players will always have confrontations whether the teams winning or losing but its easier to put disputes aside when your winning cause winning cures everything but not so when your losing. They say that a TEAM is judged on how tight they are more when they are losing then when they are winning. I get the distinct feeling from the outside looking in that the players know what is wrong and you will see more blowups like the one we’ve just seen with Willy B so i say buckle up cause things are about to get bumpier.

• Feb 6, 20149:36 pm
    by mr detroit dee

MO CHEEKS IS A BUM. JOEY D IS A BUM.  WHAT THEY HELL HAVE THEY DONE WITH OUR TEAM. THEY SHOULD OF HIRED NATE MCMILLIAN FOR STARTERS. NOT OF SIGNED JOSH SMITH(SELFISH, TRASH, NO DISCIPLINE, CANT SHOT THE 3, DONT CARE EVERYTHING YOU DONT WANT) SHOULD OF SIGNED AL JEFFERSON OR PAUL MILSAP. SHOULDNT OF TRADED FOR BRANDON JENNINGS, SHOULDNT HAVE GIVEN AWAY A FIRST ROUND TO THE BOBCATS, BUT THATS BECASUE THIS DUMMY SIGNED BEN GORDON AND CHARLIE V.  HOW DID THAT WORK OUT FOR US? MAN YOU HAVE DONE NOTHING GOOD IN DETROIT  THE ONLY HALFWAY GOOD MOVE WAS TRADING FOR RASHEED ON THE WAY TO OUR CHAMPIONSHIP. OTHER THAN THAT YOU ARE A CANCER. DARKO DRAFT  COULDA HAD CARMELO, WADE, BOSH, THE LIST GOES ON. TRADE FOR IVERSON  STUPID. I THINK THE NEW COMMISIONER SHOULD START A RULE THAT ALL GM’S GET DRUG TESTED AND COACHES. JOEY D AND MAURICE HAVE TO BE SMOKING CRACK OR METH. I AM ASHAMED TO BE A FAN.  IT HURTS   REMEBER WHEN WE LEAD THE LEAUGE IN ATTENDANCE ANYONE? REMEBER WHEN THE PARKING LOT OF THE PALACE WAS A COLLEGE ATTOMOSPHERE PEOPLE EXCITED ABOUT THE PISTONS? NOW LOOK  HOW MANY DAMN COACHES HAVE WE HAD IN THE LAST 10 YEARS? ITS A REVOLVING DOOR  ITS OBVIOUS THE CANCER IS DUMARS  YOU SET US BACK AT LEAST A DECADE YOU SHOULD JUST GO BACK TO MCNEESE STATE (I GUESS THATS HOW U SPELL IT) AND BEAT YOURSELF. GO BE THERE AD OR SOMETHING. IM GOING TO START A FACEBOOK PAGE   FIRE JOEY D      EVERYONE JOIN PLEASE

• Feb 7, 20141:09 am
      by gmehl

Easy on the caps lock there princess

• Feb 6, 201410:11 pm
    by Windy

On a side note: Clippers are looking to move Jared Dudley, he has two years left at 4.25 a season, he would be a nice guy to get because he can stretch the floor and does a decent job defending…going into next year he is the type of player they would be looking to get…moving a jerebko or CV could possibly get it done but it really all depend on what Clips feel they need to bolster their lineup…maybe a three team trade with Stuckey being involved…just an idea because we need someone who can actually shoot the ball…

• Feb 6, 201411:34 pm
    by Marvin Madison

Keep losing thats all i can say thats the cure all to get your franchise player in the draft and to get rid of dumars and start cleaning house period.  its a joke the’re  hard to watch people are not coming to see this crap i rather go to see mc hammer in his parachute pants eat elephant ears at halftime and leave before the 3rd quarter starts. You know we might laugh at teams like Charlotte and Washington but you know what they play hard every night and their award so far is a playoff spot. I want this team to stay home and let a 30 and over ymca team play the season out lets play for the lottery baby

• Feb 6, 201411:47 pm
    by domnick

keep losing, waste another season, fire GM…. fire coach… start something new…. build good basketball team…. just trade…
    useless!

• Feb 7, 201412:36 am
    by mythx

Ok people always kick trades around but they have to make sense for all the teams involved. This one came to me today And honestly I can only see it helping all 3 celler dwellers
    Cleveland gets Josh Smith-Rodney Stuckey- Kyle Singler
    New York gets Anderson Vajeao
    Pistons receive Anthony Bennett-Dion Waiter-Andrea Bargnani
    The Cavs get the best player overall, plus cap space and a good role player. A Deng,Smith,Thompson front line would look very nice next to Irving. Plus if it does not they end up with more cap space after the year as stuckys deal is the only ending contract in the whole trade.
    NY- Gets a better rebounder and defender to put next to Chandler. Something they badly lack
    Detroit gets a few things – A they tank easier. They are so close to the edge of keeping this pick they might as well go all in in the short term.  Bargnani offers better outside production and more importantly clears the logjam that otherwise cant be fixed. He will come off the bench without causing a total revolt. Also Waiter and Bennett are both young and have some talent. The Pistons can then give them playing time and will have a large group of 24 and younger players to use in trades next year.

• Feb 7, 201412:50 am
    by Smitty

Every time the Pistons say they aren’t going to trade someone they usually do. I say trade Monroe, Jennings, Charlie V and Jerebko for Rondo Green and Wallace.

• Feb 7, 20143:58 am
    by MrBlockedShot

Fire Cheeks and trade Bynum and the problem is gone. And we’ll be probably a better team as well…

• Feb 7, 20146:09 am
    by JYD for Life

A huge part of the problem is how this team is built.
    Cheeks, to his credit, has openly asked for a backup PG.  Stuckey is a ball stopper and needs to go.  You actually could get 13 points per game out of Bynum if he played 20 mins per game.  He also costs a fraction of the price.

Something has to happen in the next two weeks.
    The guy who proposed us getting Waiters and Bennett is onto something.  However, I maybe just trade Smith for Varajao and Jack to come off the bench.  Let waiters become someone else’s problem.

• Feb 7, 20149:15 am
    by Derek AKA Redeemed

Not a good look.  If these dudes were actually nose to nose DURING THE GAME this looks like the Kuester buffoonery we suffered through a few years ago.

If Cheeks can’t control the troops dump him.
    If Joe D will not set in to right the ship, dump him.
    If the parts don’t fit or the vets can’t get it together start looking at some packages to get rid of them.

This team is lacking a sense of pride that keeps you from allowing teams to embarass you.  Worse than that, they seems to take the initiative to embarass themselves.  Smh.

• Feb 7, 201411:13 am
    by Vic

Jennings has the lowest fg% of players that take 15 or more shots per game since 1979
    Smith is on pace to have the lowest 3pt % from those that shoot a certain amount in the history of the NBA
    Get some shooters in here to play with Drumroe. Just do it.
    Its so horrible you can’t even talk draft with too much hope because they might not even have a first rounder
    Get a SF shooter and a first rounder for Stuckey & Smith
    Get Deng and a first from cleveland
    Get Ariza and porter and a first from Washington
    Get Gordon and a pick from Charlotte for Stuckey CV and a first

Do whatever you can

• Feb 7, 201411:15 am
    by MIKEYDE248

I think I would have to side with Will on this.  He’ll probably end up being with the Pistons longer than Mo will (at least we can hope).  Will was one of the only players that never protested any of the other coaches, he has always just been a going to work guy.  He is probably just fed up with the bad coaching carousel.

• Feb 7, 201412:50 pm
    by freeparty

Maybe some of the onus is on the players for not wanting to be a team?  Coaches in and out every year, player revolts, confrontations, etc.  Sounds like these dudes are uncoachable or there is a rat.  Add Stuckey and Bynum to the list of players to dump.

• Feb 7, 20142:10 pm
    by duke

I’m a Will Bynum fan, and I agree with this outburst. Mo Cheeks isn’t coaching material, he’s a life time assistant and there is nothing wrong with that.  As matter of fact that’s what we seem to hire and there lies our main problem, coaching. We have enough talent to be successful, we just needs someone to crush the egos and force consistent play.

• Feb 7, 20143:24 pm
    by larry boyd

wow!  joe has to go!!  1 of my favorite players of all time.  not cut out as a manager, sorry

• It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it’s
    time to be happy. I’ve read this publish and if I may just I want
    to counsel you few interesting issues or advice. Perhaps you could write
    next articles relating to this article. I desire to read more issues
    about it!

• Apr 4, 20149:47 pm
    by 8 ball pool hack 2014

8 ball pool hack 2014 ‘s been around for many decades and has an essential meaning in the life
    of numerous. It will be protected to be able to suppose in which 8
    ball pool hack 2014 will probably be all-around for some time and possess an enormous effect on your existence of several
    persons.

• deer hunter 2014 hack android includes a substantial position with
    National Way of life. A lot of people can often be witnessed doing
    actions related to deer hunter 2014 hack ios.
    That is to some extent because people of most age range can be involved as well as people
    are generally introduced jointly simply by this specific.
    Usually anyone who shows his or her don’t like regarding deer hunter 2014 hack tool may be regarded as a outcast.

• Apr 8, 20148:10 pm
    by turbotax vs tax act

Hmm it appears like your site ate my first comment (it was
    super long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I wrote and
    say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog. I too am an aspiring blog writer but I’m
    still new to everything. Do you have any points for first-time
    blog writers? I’d definitely appreciate it.

• Amazon Gift Card Generator 2014 has a huge position within U .

s . Culture. Many people is often noticed doing
    routines related to Amazon Gift Card Code Generator 2014.