Pistons to honor 1988-89 championship team during Heat game

The Pistons will honor the 25th anniversary of the 1988-89 championship team during their March 28 game against the Miami Heat, according to the Detroit Free Press.

David Stern reportedly will even be there, if that gets you going. For the rest of us, I expect most of the Bad Boys to show up – Isiah Thomas, Vinnie Johnson, Bill Laimbeer, Rick Mahorn, James Edwards, John Salley and Joe Dumars being my top guesses.

Unfortunately, unless the Pistons improve by March 28, this will likely be a chance for fans to boo Dumars on his way out – a la Karen Davidson at Dennis Rodman’s jersey-retirement ceremony. I hope I’m wrong about that. It would be unfortunate, no matter what you think of the job Dumars has done as general manager, to ruin what could be a cool event.

I’m a little surprised by the timing of it, though. Ceremonies like this are used to draw fans. Heat games also typically draw fans. Wouldn’t the Pistons be better off spreading those attractions to two separate games? Or has attendance at The Palace fallen so far that both are needed on a single night?

• Feb 18, 20147:53 am
    by gmehl

If honouring me

• Feb 18, 20147:55 am
      by gmehl

If honouring them means by blowing another 4th quarter lead then I might just pass on that one. Watching that game could put Rodman back in rehab!

• Feb 18, 20148:42 am
    by Tiko

I after strange to have it during Heat game. Also, it would be pretty shitty of fans to boo Dumars at this event. Dumars the bad boy and Dumars the GM shouldn’t be mixed up. This is a Bad Boy celebration, fans who have a problem with Dumars should just stay quiet when he’s introduced.

• Feb 18, 20148:56 am
      by gmehl

I miss GM Joe (2000-2007) more than I do Bad Boy Joe. I defended him for so long too. I literally now refer to them as 3 separate people. Joe the player, GM Joe (2000-2007) and GM Joe (2007-present). I loved him as a player and then even more so when he became GM bring his savvy moves. He was the silent assassin on the court and then continued that once he hit the front office. I still don’t know what the f*** happened to that guy though. Booing him would be the most classless thing you could do to a guy that was involved in bring the team 3 championships but if they do you’d assume it’s because they are judging him on the present not the past. What will make fans hate him more is when he is fired and becomes someone else’s GM does well and then ends up shafting the pistons outs of draft picks or in trades.

• Feb 18, 20148:54 am
    by I HATE LOSING (Predicting A Strong Finish)

He’ll people need to stop crying either way…nope Dumars hasn’t been great but in his same era…how many titles or final appearances do other teams have? how soon we forget when things go south…
    Also, not defending Dumars…and Although a lot of Dumars moves backfired, and plenty were questionable…but I always felt he struggled with being a good guy and being a business savy/cut throat GM…
    End of the day…anyone that boo’s Dumars is an idiot

• Feb 18, 20149:00 am
    by gmehl

So I was just discussing this ceremony with a buddy and he pointed out that maybe this is Gores way of sending Joe out in a nice way. So pretty much Joe is a dead man walking but Gores doesn’t want to alienate whatever little fans he has left attending the Palace. I guess it makes sense.

• Feb 18, 201410:22 am
    by MIKEYDE248

I really doubt that the fans will boo him.  They still cheer every time Chauncey Billups steps on the court, as much as we all know the team is better with him on the bench.  The average people that go to games are much different than the ones that write in on here.

• Feb 18, 20147:54 pm
    by sebastian

Well, I guess Joe will come out of hiding to attend this event. Where you at, Joe!