Pistons stand pat at NBA trade deadline

Not surprisingly, the Pistons kept relatively quiet during Thursday’s NBA trade deadline.

Detroit’s silence at the deadline should have been expected. There were Josh Smith rumors floating about, and there were murmurs of minor deals — Will Bynum for Jerryd Bayless — but no small trade was going to make this dysfunctional roster much better.

It’s not flashy, but by keeping Rodney Stuckey and Charlie Villanueva means the Pistons will have over $16 million in cap space this summer — which will be beneficial to whoever’s in charge.

The issue is who makes the next move. This is a franchise that just fired Maurice Cheeks after 50 games on the job, and that move alone says a lot about owner Tom Gores — and probably more about how the Pistons would handle business at the deadline.

Joe Dumars is in the last year of his contract, and the fact that his coach was fired so quickly says, I think, a lot about how he’s viewed by ownership; there weren’t going to be any more mistakes made.

It appears Gores was the one who wouldn’t allow Dumars to spend more money on a mid-season replacement like Lionel Hollins, so why allow him to make more of a mess before his contract runs out this summer?

From everything we’ve seen, it looks like Dumars tried to wiggle out of his latest mistake (Smith), albeit to no avail.

Now, you just have to wonder if it was his last trade deadline in Detroit.

• Feb 20, 20143:40 pm
    by anacaniwelk

Tom Izzo, Tom Izzo, Tom Izzo.

• Feb 20, 20143:48 pm
      by MIKEYDE248

He’s not leaving and has said so many many times.

• Feb 20, 20144:11 pm
        by Rich

Yeah, he’s a God in East Lansing, and let’s be honest, his rage bombs would have him getting ejected on the regular (not to mention how quickly he’d lose professional players with his demeanor).

• Feb 20, 20145:11 pm
        by anacaniwelk

Tom Izzo, Tom Izzo, Tom Izzo.

• Feb 20, 20145:57 pm
          by Huddy

Why sign him if nothing in the league matters anyway?

• Feb 20, 20146:36 pm
            by pablum

Sweet twitter war of words between Mike Valenti and Vince Goodwill of the news. Valenti essentially calling the News beat writer an idiot. Calling Jennings a bust. Calling KCP a bust. And calling for Joe’s head. Quite quite entertaining. Goodwill’s response was that Valenti doesn’t read his shit and doesn’t get that Jennings “is one of the few guys that cares on the Pistons.” Valenti not impressed. Says Josh Smith is garbage and is a steal for the Pistons to even get expirings.
            But there’s more. A journalist friend of my trophy wife, who wants to bang my trophy wife and thinks I don’t know that (a lost cause for him..the old pablum is gifted), just turned me on to some other Detroit based TMZ site that I won’t name out of respect to the legit pro-scribes here, but apparently this hated rogue heretic has posted a tweet from David Mayo saying Gores is going to fire Dumars, and also posted an article from a legit LA newspaper that Gores fucked his brother’s wife and that this info was revealed in a legal dispute, or some such, between the two Gores brothers. Every word I’ve written here is true.

The gauntlet has been thrown to the pro-scribes here!! Do diligence is required! Pablum out!

• Feb 21, 201412:10 am
            by Ken

How do you come up with this stuff? haha

• Feb 20, 201411:36 pm
          by JYD for Life

No…here’s why:  8 coaches with 2 National Championships, 2 with 3 and 2 with 4…he wants in this elite group.  That’s why he turned down Gilbert’s millions to coach Cleveland a few years ago.
          Coach
          Phil Woolpert
          1955, 1956
          Branch McCracken
          1940, 1953

• Feb 20, 20144:10 pm
      by pablum

Is this your way of combating the “evil doers” that purportedly write on this blog? With the mantra, “Izzo. Izzo. Izzo.” Didn’t one your generation’s Hip-Hop heroes actually craft a song with such lyrics. Something like, “H to the Izzo, B to the..” — Aw, whatever the fuck it is.
      But now some real news: Bobcats just made it a race of it with us. Traded Sessions for whatever:
      If only they had done this before they played us!

• Feb 20, 20145:21 pm
        by anacaniwelk

“My generation?” I have back hair older than you.

• Feb 20, 20145:49 pm
          by pablum

“Back Hair?” You outed yourself youngling: get back to me when you have more hair On your ears than Cousin IT.

• Feb 20, 20147:17 pm
            by Josh

Haha you old dudes clowning is more entertaining then anything about this pistons team

• Feb 21, 201410:11 am
            by anacaniwelk

I shave my ears everyday.  You know they have medications for your mood swings pablum…the pharmacy is open til 6.

• Feb 21, 201410:41 am
            by pablum

LOL! Let’s go get my legally prescribed blueberry Hawaiian puffy!

• Feb 20, 20143:47 pm
    by Aaroneous

#1 I’m a huge pistons fan
    #2 I’ve defended Joe D for years
    #3 Joe D and Gores have royally messed up this team
    #4 Not getting rid of Jsmoove’s contract is so disugstingly frustratingly enraging to me that I don’t want to watch the team in person until this is all fixed. And I think my DVR season series is getting cancelled. I will watch the box score on my phone App and pray every night for a draft pick this season, though I expect that will fail.
    #5 I will not blame Andre at all when he leaves this team at the first opportunity. I love him and his growing game and he does not deserve this. All they needed to do was surround him with shooters. Period. And they got a bunch of guys who can’t hit the broadside of the barn.
    #6 I thought I would get over the mistake of not-taking Trey Burke. I find I am not getting over it. In fact, each day it bothers me just a little bit more.

siiiiiiiigh…..

• Feb 20, 20144:26 pm
      by RL

+ 1

I agree with everything you said!

• Feb 20, 20143:50 pm
    by Steve K

Sigh. Joe basically made this team irrelevant until the 2015 draft. See you all in about 15 months?

• Feb 20, 20144:19 pm
      by Anthony

Judging by the last 2 games that we just got our butts beat… We’re going to keep this years pick. 2015 will go to Charlotte.

• Feb 20, 20143:54 pm
    by Corey

I don’t even want to watch this team any more. It’s just awful.  Hopefully a new GM this summer will be able to clean up the mess, hire a real coach, and put a team worth watching on the floor next year.

• Feb 20, 20143:58 pm
    by jamesjones_det

That 16 mill is not going to be worth much after we pay Monroe 14+ million a year and if we do get to keep our pick that is another 2.7+ mill.

I’m not sure we will get much use out of that cap space if things go as the look right now.

• Feb 20, 20145:01 pm
      by Huddy

Without a rookie we should have 8-10 mil, but I don’t see anyone in this FA group that we can reasonably expect to add for much more than that.  It will mostly be useful to have a few mil of space to be more flexible in trade.

• Feb 20, 20148:19 pm
        by oats

I actually wanted to dump salaries to make a run at Stephenson or Hayward, but they will probably cost more than $10 million. I guess we’re now looking at the Jodie Meeks or Trevor Ariza group at the high end. I wouldn’t complain about splitting the money on a few young guys like Wesley Johnson or Jimmer Fredette though.

• Feb 20, 20148:38 pm
          by Huddy

I like stephenson and if the choose to try and keep turner he might be getable if they can find a way to clear some room, but I think hayward is going to get paid more than he will be worth in production.  Not a bad player just not good enough for what he will get.

trevor Ariza wouldn’t be bad, I think some kind of trade is going to be necessary anyway since the starting line up simply doesn’t work.

• Feb 20, 201411:34 pm
            by JYD for Life

Look at the upcoming unrestricted free agents: Brand, Humphries, Pierce, Livingston, Deng, Marion, V.Carter, Granger, Pau Gasol, Hawes, Okafor, Lowry, Gortat, Ariza.
            Randolph, Anthony, James, Bosh and Wade can all opt out – we’re not getting any of them (although Bosh would be a perfect fit next to Drummond).

The restricteds are tough because it seems like they will all be matched.
            What would you guys do?
            oats – I like your thought about adding young guys like fredette, Wes Johnson, etc.

I’m not a huge Stephenson fan because he strikes me as a guy who will try to do too muc Once he has the paycheck.  He’s also not surrounded by knuckleheads in Indy.
            Heyward would be ok, but there has to be something more.

• Feb 21, 20143:27 pm
            by oats

@ JYD for life. I think guys as talented and young as Stephenson are never unrestricted free agents, so if I was running an NBA team I’d jump all over that. I’d absolutely be afraid he’d go all alpha dog once he leaves Indiana, but I still think it’s a worthwhile risk. Detroit’s got a young star player in Drummond so he’s not clearly the best player, and a solid coach should be able to help keep Stephenson in check. I just don’t see a better combination of youth, talent, and availability on the market. Plus he is a really good defender and pretty good 3 point shooter so he’s a pretty natural fit.

My plan as of now would be to gamble on a couple young guys and look to trade one of Monroe or Smith. I have no idea what that trade would be though. If successful the team would need another big man too, and Mike Scott from the Hawks would look pretty good. I’d say breaking up the big 3 has to be the first step though, and whatever return Detroit gets in that deal would dictate where to go from there.

• Feb 20, 20149:36 pm
      by T Casey

This may sound crazy, but I doubt we’ll pay Monroe max money. If so, all hope is lost. Monroe is a quality piece, but not at more than 10 mil imo. I can’t say why I’m giving Joe D more credit than that at this point, but I am. If he does demand max money, I think we should work out a sign and trade for a quality piece or two.

• Feb 21, 20141:44 pm
        by oats

There are too many teams with money for him to only get $10 million. I absolutely can’t see that happening. I think he’s getting at least 4 years and $50 million per year, but I’d expect him to be closer to the max though. It isn’t about Dumars, who hasn’t exactly shown a tendency to sign good deals anyways, it’s about Monroe’s value league wide. His agent has a proven track record of getting big deals because he’s so good at finding teams willing to pay his guy. I just can’t see a young big man that has already put up a 16 and 10 season and is also a really good passer settling for $10 million a year. I mean, it’s not like he has some injury concerns to scare teams off.

• Feb 20, 20144:04 pm
    by Parsons

Sigh… Well then… We’re now in buyout season. Roger Mason Jr. is free. I look down our roster and see 2 we could release, CV and Chauncey. Maybe that could at least be… something. I guess. Sigh, we suck.

• Feb 20, 20144:14 pm
    by Oracle

While I’m not excited by the lack of moves, I can take away the one positive:  It sure looks like Gores handcuffed Dumars, and that he’ll be fired at the end of the year.  If there’s any word of a change in scouting, or Gores bringing in any more consultants, then it’s practically sealed.

• Feb 20, 20144:15 pm
    by Rich

Indy just got Evan Turner for an expiring contract.

If only we’d had one or two of those.  Oh wait…

• Feb 20, 20144:30 pm
      by tom

Yeah, when I saw that I was upset we missed out on that. Though I guess if Philly is trying to tank Granger can help with that more than Stuckey can. CV could more than hold his own though.

• Feb 20, 20148:23 pm
      by oats

Turner can’t shoot and plays no defense. I guess he’s still a talent upgrade on Singler and KCP, although he’s an even worse fit than either of them. He would give the team insurance for if Stuckey goes down though.

• Feb 21, 201412:24 am
      by PistonFanSinceDay1

@Rich: Turner sucks, he’s a restricted free agent, and he’s about to be over-paid. We have our own RFA to worry about

• Feb 21, 201410:16 am
        by Rich

Turner doesn’t suck.  He’s nothing special, but he’s far better than any 2 or 3 on our roster, and he didn’t cost anything.

If he didn’t look good in the last 30 games, you let him go.  You know, like you’re going to do with CV anyway.

• Feb 21, 20142:11 pm
          by oats

First of all, Stuckey is better than Turner. Turner rebounds better and gets more assists and turnovers. Stuckey scores more per minute, does it more efficiently, and is a much better defender. Yeah, I’d take Stuckey at the 2 over Turner.

It cost a second round pick, which is something. The biggest problems this team has are perimeter shooting and defense, and Turner does neither of those things. Why is it a good idea to get another inefficient shooter that takes a ton of shots and can’t stretch the floor? That’s just doubling down on the team’s strengths and exaggerating their weaknesses yet again. He’s clearly more talented than KCP and Singler, but Singler is better for spacing and KCP is a way better defender. I really don’t know how much Turner would help, if at all. I honestly think I prefer the second round pick, which has a decent chance of being in the top 10 picks of the second round. It’s actually pretty close though, and Detroit might be able to get more than that second round pick in a sign and trade since Detroit would have the right to match offers for Turner. I think I would do a Turner for CV and second round pick trade due to the ability to move him later, but it’s way too marginal of a move for me to really care.

• Feb 20, 20144:17 pm
    by Jacob

Best decision I’ve made in a while was deciding not to get league pass this season to watch Pistons games. #pistonsfanintexas

• Feb 20, 20144:22 pm
      by Corey

You’re clever. I got it to watch the rise of Andre Drummond, and Josh Smith – and the general team incompetence – made me throw up in my mouth so many times that I haven’t watched a game in a month. 30 years of being a pistons fan and I can’t even watch them now.
      How can a team with all these professionals be incapable of running a competent offense OR defense? It’s amazing. The pick and roll is the basic stable of NBA basketball, and I don’t think this team has been able to run it competently in at least 5 years. And I’m not sure if they’ve ever been able to defend it in all that time, either.

• Feb 20, 20144:22 pm
    by YeezusdaDon

I said this before and I think Gores wants to move the team to Anaheim. That is all I can think of for trading away a draft pick to dump Gordon when he could have been amnestied, allowing Joe D to sign Josh Smith AND trade for Brandon Jennings, and now, apparently, they are going to let Monroe walk for nothing in return, or worse yet, resign him to keep this monstrosity going! The guy is totally Major Leaguing us! Putting out a product so bad no one wants to see it so he can pack up and move the team so it’s half hour from his home! At first I thought he was just incompetent, but it turns out he’s clever, just a bit too clever. You have to try hard to put together this poorly assembled of a team. Sure you can go tankapalooza like Philly, but if you want to really discourage your fans, you build an awful roster with more mismatched parts then an IKEA warehouse, trade picks for literally no reason, and eliminate cap space so there is no hope of getting better.

• Feb 20, 20147:07 pm
      by JYD for Life

You couldn’t be any more wrong.

- The guy dumped millions of dollars into the Palace.
      - He owns a house on Grosse Ile and has family there
      - He also owns some kind of property in Oakland County
      - His daughter is quite possibly attending Michigan State next Fall.
      - He can’t just move the team…the other owners in the NBA have to approve such a move.

• Feb 20, 20144:23 pm
    by troy

So it seems the piston’s objective is to stay in “The Disaster Zone”. FUCKING TIRED OF THIS BULLSHIT (excuse my language, I believe they deserve it tho)

• Feb 20, 20144:29 pm
    by Andy

If they would at least put some effort.out there..geez, its hopeless. I’ll still watch my league pass games blankly. I feel bad for the commentators.

• Feb 20, 20144:31 pm
    by microjfox

I agree with Jacob so glad I passed on league pass. I did get to see them play Charlotte yesterday. I spent most if the game laughing about how bad we are. Thanks Joe.

• Feb 20, 20144:31 pm
    by microjfox

Anyone want to continue the conversation on Bless You Boys?

• Feb 20, 20144:42 pm
    by I HATE LOSING (Predicting A Strong Finish)

I don’t care that there was no trade…but we can’t continue to force this line up…its not working

• Feb 20, 201411:26 pm
      by Jodi aka "The Guru"

That’s exactly what I’m thinking

• Feb 20, 20144:47 pm
    by troy

Outside of a few players this team has no hustle, no heart, and no mental toughness. They are so up and down. They need someone to keep them level headed

• Feb 20, 20145:01 pm
    by Andy

I agree 100% Troy

• Feb 20, 20145:16 pm
    by anacaniwelk

Don’t know why some of you guys get so worked up.  It’s Lebron’s NBA for a while until he decides to hand it over to Durant.  Then it will be Durants for a few years. There is no series of moves from any team that is gonna change that.

• Feb 20, 20145:44 pm
      by jamesjones_det

Like it was Shaq and Kobe’s NBA?

• Feb 20, 20145:56 pm
      by Huddy

Why are you on hearing reading about a team that will be irrelevant for the next 8-10 years then?

• Feb 20, 20145:18 pm
    by something

I ain’t complaining that no trades were done.
    I can’t wait until Tom Gores delivers this line: “We want to thank Joe Dumars for his professionalism and contributions over the years.”

• Feb 20, 20145:23 pm
      by anacaniwelk

Something, Getting rid of Dumars won’t change a thing.  The only impactful move 28 gm’s can make are acquiring Lebron or Durant. Other than that they’ll just be spinning their wheels.

• Feb 20, 20145:38 pm
        by something

Well, that’s better than having JD make a trade and eventually make the playoffs.
        That would mean he keeps his job and keep making this team worst.

• Feb 20, 20146:18 pm
          by BillyRude

@Something…Don’t feed the trolls

• Feb 20, 20148:01 pm
    by joe dumars

So where is this coming from Gores is the reason Dumars can’t hire a midseason replacement like Hollins? Last I check midseason hires rarely happen.

• Feb 20, 20148:06 pm
      by Brady Fredericksen

well, if your goal is the playoffs, you don’t fire one coach to have the long-time assistant lead you.

• Feb 20, 20148:13 pm
        by joe dumars

Yeah but it mainly an just assumption Dumars wanted to make a hire midseason, and would take the job because he said hes interested. Hiring a coach midseason isn’t a realistic scenario when the GM is a lame duck.

• Feb 20, 20148:25 pm
          by joe dumars

* and Hollins would take the job because he said hes interested.

• Feb 20, 20148:59 pm
        by pablum

Uh, I just posted that David a Mayo tweeted Gores was going to fire Dumars,
        That Vince Goodwill and Mike Valenti had at it over the Pistons, with some choice ass quotes about the team, including a real story that Goodwil thinks B Jennings is one of the only Pistons who cares about the team right now,
        That Tom Gores fucking fucked his brother’s wife, which might be indicative to his ownership, maybe?

And all you can do is write 18 words here on mid-season coaching hires? That’s it? Really. Okay. I checked the Mayo quote, which actually said Joe seems to be acting like he’ll be fired, which is some news coming from David Mayo.

So, Brady, if you don’t mind my asking? What kind of a blog is this anyway?

• Feb 20, 201411:19 pm
          by pablum

I showed my trophy wife my posts on this thread to seek insight as to why you don’t seem to care about the juicy tidbits posted, even the Valenti /Goodwill exchange, including a tweet by Stoney that Gores likely didn’t even know today was the trade deadline. Yep. He said.
          But, anyway, I quizzed my younger beauty, a former established editor btw, –she may be a trophy, with great tits, but she’s got brains to. So, forthwith, I asked her, “Why do these young pro scribes not seem to care? Is this not worthy fodder, my bountiful darling?”
          “You sound hostile and you’re telling them they are shitty at their jobs, hon. Reporters don’t like that.”

• Feb 21, 201410:52 am
            by zdh

i mean, at least post sources of all these insane theories and rumors you claim

• Feb 21, 201412:07 am
          by Ken

wtf are you talking about? lol

• Feb 21, 201410:15 am
            by Lorenzo

lol I’m with Ken here….wtf are you talking about?

• Feb 21, 201410:56 am
            by pablum

Ah, my fellow Piston compatriots: pablum always stands by his shit:
            (1) Here’s link at Huffington Post to Gores fucking his bro’s wife:
            (2) Here’s Vince Goodwill slamming Mike Valenti? and actually making some news saying Jenings is “actually one of the Piston players who cares”:
            @vgoodwill  Feb 19 @MikeValenti971 he’s actually one of the players I think who cares. Just doesn’t know any better. And you want Mr. 29% in Feb? LOL!
            (FYI: They also go at it over Trey Burke, with Valenti frothing the KCP pick over Burke is idiocy. & on Valenti’s twitter, Mike Stone blasting Gores as a detached idiot who likely didn’t even know yesterday was the trade deadline.)
            (3) Here’s Mayo tweet on Joe’s silence after the Cheek’s firing and no trade moves:
            @David_Mayo Feb 20

@JeffMossDSR maybe a lack of motivation to pick up the phone on behalf of someone for whom you’ll work only a few more months…
            (But guess JYD’s right below. None of this is newsworthy. Right, JYD?).

(BTW pro-scribes: I wasn’t agreeing with my trophy wife below — just looking for insight. You guys do a great job here, but I did think the above items were worth a comment or two, no?)

Peace!

• Feb 21, 201411:05 am
            by pablum

Just to save you time for the Huffington Post article — here’s key quote 1/2, 3/4 way down”
            “At the end of the day, Lisa Gores, the ex-wife of billionaire Alex Gores, took the stand. Looking like a Jennifer Aniston clone, Ms. Gores testified to having an affair with her then brother-in-law, Tom Gores.”

• Feb 21, 201411:30 am
            by Parsons

I honestly don’t care who Gores is having sex with. Just shell out the money and shut up. Be like Illitch. Man I wish Illitch bought our team he’s so much better. He realises he’ll make all his millions back by winning. Not to mention his 1st order of business would’ve been a GM he felt comfortable giving the millions to. Ken Holland and Dave Dombrowski are a whole lot better than Dumars. Illitch would’ve fired him on day 1 and got us a GM and a coach. Instead we get a soap opra more interesting than the team is.

• Feb 21, 201411:34 am
            by pablum

Last, for those who care, I got a response from David Mayo on the whole “Jennings will never make an all-star game in his career”: (BTW, Vince Ellis also tweeted “Trey Burke will never make an All-Star game in his career” — a stone cold fact.(LMOMAO — laughing my old man ass off, cause you know if Joe had drafted Trey Burke, Vince Ellis sure as hell would have said this in print!)…
            On to Mayo:(I redacted my true yahoo here)
            From:[pablum]@yahoo.com]
            Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 12:17 PM
            To: Mayo, David
            Subject: Dan Feldman: Piston Powered
            Hi David, I just have a quick question for you, to help resolve an on-going debate at Dan Feldman’s Piston Powered blog.
            Recently, the question of what current Piston would ever make an All-Star game in their “[entire] CAREER.” (2/16/14, Piston Powered “3-on-3″.) [and all the writers there said Brandon Jennings would not. Can you comment on this?]

On Thursday, February 20, 2014 5:47 PM, “Mayo, David” <DMAYO@mlive.com> wrote:
            I think it’s a crazy answer.

I’d say Gigi Datome.

Was it multiple choice or something?

• Feb 21, 201411:40 am
            by Huddy

So you misrepresented the question as being which current piston wont make ann all star game as opposed to will Brandon Jennings make an all star game.  The way you have posed it a player like Datome would be the obvious answer.

• Feb 21, 201411:46 am
            by pablum

WTF are you talking about Huddy? I misrepresented nothing. Nothing. You’ve obviously forgotten the question, which was, which current Piston will make an all-star game in their “career,” period. “Career.” And anyway, I thought you were bored with me…

• Feb 21, 20141:24 pm
            by Huddy

3. Fact or Fiction: A current Piston besides Drummond and Monroe will make a future All-Star Game in his career.
            That was the question you are correct.  Can you comprehend by asking that and saying out of context that all the writers said Jennings wouldn’t you are implying that the writers think Jennings is the least likely when in fact they are specifically mentioning Jennings as the most likely of all remaining pistons but they don’t think he will.  This is obvious since his response was that he would choose Datome and increasing obvious by mayo asking if it was multiple choice.  No one is debating if Jennings is the least likely Piston to make an all star game.  The correct question for Mayo(if you care for his position on the topic) would be “do you think Jennings will make an all star game” or even “do you think it is preposterous to say Jennings will never make an all star game”.

you should email Skip Bayless next, you seem like you would get along.

• Feb 21, 20146:17 am
          by JYD for Life

Dumars not having his contract renewed and being fired are kind of different things.
          all of this inactivity at the deadline smells of a nice story at the end of the season about Joe retiring.  Gores isn’t going to embarras one of the only legends we have.

• Feb 21, 20146:31 am
          by JYD for Life

Also not really newsworthy-
          valenti rants all of the time and has for years about how terrible he thinks joe is.  I’ve lived in Chicago for over three years now and I hear it anytime I’m streaming his show or am back home.

Wojo is an idiot.
          Mayo is bush league and trying to make a name for himself.  That wasn’t exactly a bold statement.

goodwill defending Jennings was somewhat surprising, but he is right.  I’m sure you agree with him.

What is there to talk about?  Should the PP guys throw shots at the other writers and media personalities for fun?

• Feb 21, 20146:45 am
            by JYD for Life

whats the headline??
            “This just in:  Valenti doesn’t care for most things.”

• Feb 21, 201411:11 am
            by pablum

Peace JYD! Pro-scribes here should do what they want. But when Vince Goodwill tweets Jennings is “one of the few Pistons who cares”; Mayo tweets the equivalent of Joe’s acting like he’ll be fired” — that might be newsworthy? at least worth a comment? (The Gore’s fucking his bro’s wife — well, that’s a coin toss, I guess…)
            In light of all of this — all Brady had to say was 18 words about mid-season coach hiring/firing…(head scratcher…)…

• Feb 20, 20148:17 pm
    by James

I can’t say whether Gore’s has handcuffed Dumars but he is responsible for Frank’s and Cheeks, he told Dumars to hire those two. This also gives me reason to believe GORES was the one who interfered with trading Smith. Dumars has made his share of bad moves and should be fired, if for no other reason that drafting Sorry Ass Monroe instead of Paul George. But GORES has shown you what kind of owner he is and is going to be…..INCOMPETENT AT NBA RULE. This franchise may very well be the one that’s been hand-picked for the inevitable move to Vegas. See the huge new stadium they are building on south Vegas Blvd? Just happens to be led by a guy who played in the NBA a few yrs. Hmm. But if not, just think what this team’s future will be with that kind of owner. YUCKY!!!!!

• Feb 20, 20148:23 pm
      by joe dumars

Overvaluing Smith is typical Dumars though. Look at the past deals hes turned down like the a 1st and Caron Butler for Tay at the deadline 3 years ago. How about the terrible contracts hes handed out. Smith is a guy Dumars has been trying to get since 2008. I never saw him willing to trade him simply for expirings.

• Feb 20, 20148:57 pm
        by Edgar

Totally. This is obviously speculation on my part, but I think the problem is that he continues to have this old-school approach that doesn’t really place a high value on having assets like young players on rookie deals, draft picks, etc. He likes cap space, but only to sign veteran players to multi-year deals, not to take on a bad contract and get a first-round pick, for example. I think if pressed to choose between Josh Smith on a multi-year deal and this year’s first-rounder, he’d probably take Smith.
        This is basically the opposite approach that new school GMs take. They’re all about accumulating young players on cheap deals and avoiding veterans on long-term deals unless it’s a clear superstar. The Rockets, for example, could care less about veteran leadership, playoff experience, etc. They showed that today in getting Jordan Hamilton. Morey sees a young player with potential on a cheap deal, who, if he doesn’t work out, can get easily flipped for another asset. Dumars probably sees a young guy who he wouldn’t trust in a tight game.

• Feb 20, 201410:47 pm
          by bonerici

Edgar can we hire you for our next GM?  You are making way too much sense.

• Feb 21, 20141:22 am
          by frankie d

@edgar
          it may be speculation, but it is well grounded and utterly sensible and logical.  and if you look at dumars’ actions over the years, that is exactly what he has done.
          the instances of dumars doing exactly what you just described are too numerous to even recount, but i think you hit the nail right on the head.
          excellent post.
          i will also add, that it just shows that dumars just does not understand the direction the league is going and has gone, especially with the new collective bargaining agreement.  he is living in 2006 and making decisions with those rules in mind when the league and the collective bargaining agreement dictate that smart teams take an entirely different approach.
          this is truly a sad, sad day for anyone who imagines that they are a pistons’ fan.  no matter where you come down on josh smith and jennings, imho, most fans realize that something…something needed to be done if the season was going to be salvaged at all.  the fact that the team did absolutely nothing says as loudly as can be imagined that gores has simply given up on this season.  and not only has he given up on the season, but he really and truly does not have a competent plan for how to proceed.
          is the team tanking in order to keep it’s draft pick?  or is it going to legitimately try to make a playoff push?  based on the teams’ actions and inaction, it is truly impossible to tell just what they are trying to do.  and the truly disturbing aspect is that the seeming incompetence is probably an accurate reflection of the true incompetence reigning in the highest levels of the team’s management.
          what a friction nightmare….

• Feb 21, 20141:49 am
            by gmehl

Well if they had to give out an award for best disguised tanking this year then we’d probabky win it. Oh wait that award should actually be best ‘legal’ tanking team. I mean we have the most talented group of losing individuals on our team. I do recall LeBron being quoted saying “wow that is going to be a really good team this season”. What is sad to me is our team as of today is the exact opposite of that Stackhouse led one that was full of outcasts. That team managed to string together 45+ win seasons because they all meshed.

• Feb 21, 20146:11 am
            by JYD for Life

Gmehl – that stack house team only had one chucker and a bunch of work horses.
            Having two volume and inefficient guys will deflate the chemistry right out of a team.

when I’m watching them this season, I have flashbacks of all of my pickup ball nightmares.
            Its the worst when you grab a rebound and defend, then a missed shot is thrown up before you turn around to establish yourself in the post At the other end.  Most likely by some clown who has no business shooting a 12 footer, let alone a 3-PT shot or a 1 on 3 drive to the hoop resulting in a trash attempt at a layup.
            Notice how Drummond only sets screens for Bynum?  It’s because he knows he will get the ball after.

• Feb 21, 20148:33 am
            by gmehl

@JYD I know exactly what your talking about. I play competition basketball on Tuesday nights and I absolutly hate it when someone on my team hoists up a bad shot after we’ve just played our asses off on defence. Bad shots are the very one thing that will kill a team and make it not want to play for each other. The flip side is when everyone values every offensive possion and converts them you’ll find the team will up the intensity on the defensive end. When watching the Pistons founder on offense with Smith hoisting up bricks you will notice everyones head drop. Smith is a really good basketball player but he’s been put in a position to fail. The person that put him in that position is the one that needs to go and probably will.

• Feb 20, 20148:29 pm
    by Hook Shot

I say again this team has underachieved tona great degree related to poor, sorry ass coaching. They just don’t seem prepared. Do they watch film, review scouting reports outlining player’s tendencies?  Just what are the assisstants doing?  If Sheed was supposed to be such a potential asset how come Monroe and Drummond have not markedly improved, especially as post defenders? Clean house and be done with it all

• Feb 20, 20148:36 pm
    by James

Coaching is vital, but if THE PLAYER HIMSELF isn’t spending any time in the gym, coaching is useless. Monroe is the same damn player they drafted, Stuckey is the same, Jennings STILL CAN’T MAKE AN OFF HAND SHOT AT THE RIM. Drummond and perhaps KCP are the only players on this entire roster that’s worth any consideration for further investment of time and money.

• Feb 20, 20149:32 pm
    by I HATE LOSING (Predicting A Strong Finish)

Hook shot Drummond has improved…even his FT shooting every month improved….along with scoring and rebounding

• Feb 20, 201411:31 pm
    by Jodi aka "The Guru"

All these people here think Dumars will be fired this summer??. Hahaha, stop listening to everything the media tells you…

• Feb 21, 20144:35 am
      by tiko

what has he done to get a new contract? or better yet, what has he NOT done to get fired?

• Feb 21, 201412:28 am
    by Ken

I don’t understand how we can even think of giving Monroe all of our capspace and coming back with the same exact team.

If Monroe was some great young talent, I’d understand just paying whatever it cost and worrying about how to trade Smith later. But he;s not. He’s above average at best. Production-wise, he’s essentially Tayshaun Prince minus the defense and jumpshot, and the only reason Tayshaun got his 11 mil/yr deal was because he was a key pieces of a championship team. Not a misfit from a perrenial lottery team, like Monroe.

They need to use that capspace on other needs, and then if you trade Smith later, fine, but if you can’t you at least can use him at PF in the meantime and not have two guys playing out of position and capped out.

Monroe would not be worth a max deal even if we had 30 mil in capspace. He’s definitely not when that’s all the capspace we have to spend and have glaring needs on the perimeter

• Feb 21, 20141:02 am
    by haydzzz

Joe Dumars time is up in running this franchise.

• Feb 21, 20141:44 am
    by haydzzz

What was really stupid though was not amnestying Charlie V, I thought the reason was coz he could be a trade asset, well obviously not lmao

• Feb 21, 20142:38 am
    by Ryan P.

I love whatever you’re doing Pablum, keep it up.

• Feb 21, 20146:14 am
    by Allan

I think we have to go for Kevin love for Monroe and stuckey

• Feb 21, 20146:16 am
    by Allan

i think Detroit will be good team if they acquired Kevin love better version of bill laimbeer.,

• Feb 21, 20146:17 am
    by Allan

Go go go for Kevin love!!!

• Feb 21, 20147:50 am
    by sebastian

Addling the millennium version of Bill Laimbeer to the Pistons roster, would require that the Pistons suck so hard that the Pistons get one of the two top picks and then offer that pick along with Moose for Kevin Love.

• Feb 21, 20149:47 am
    by Parsons

I really want to see us release CV and Chauncey now. A few decent players have already been released. We can’t get anything else right at least sign a FA. Orlando Johnson is out there. Cartier Martin or Roger Mason Jr are other options better than CV or Chauncey. I mean we’re playing with 8 players some bench help wouldn’t kill us. These guys aren’t great but CV just became useless anyway so why not? Luigi Datome is another buyout option since he won’t play anyway. Might as well sign someone who you feel comfortable giving a few minutes to.

• Feb 21, 20142:24 pm
      by oats

I’d rather keep Chauncey for sentimental reasons. Buyout guys tend to look for good teams to join first, so the odds of Detroit landing 2 of them that actually move the needle are pretty slim. Given that, I’d let Chauncey play out the season as a Piston. Well, not actually play out the season since I wouldn’t let him on the court, but I still would rather not cut him.

That’s all assuming I was even trying to make the playoffs, but if I’m being honest I’d rather they just tank. If that’s the goal then I would let Chauncey play.

• Feb 21, 20142:40 pm
        by Parsons

Yeah I see what your saying. I just see CV and Chauncey who are useless. Siva and Mitchell who aren’t ready to compete. Datome, Jerebko, and Bynum all suck. That’s 7 players who aren’t helpful. Harilson isn’t very good either and Stuckey keeps getting hurt. I think we still want to make the playoffs so to me getting rid of some of these guys for more useful NBA talent would be smart. It would at least get us more than 7 players on a nightly basis. Since we won’t trade for talent so this seems like it should be our next step. I also think with us I know we won’t win anything and probably won’t even make the playoffs but we CAN offer playing time. If I was an NBA player I’d rather play but thats just me. My basketball career ended my senior year of high school so I could be wrong but thats my opinion.

• Feb 21, 201410:06 am
    by M. Madison

Leave it up to the pistons to blow a good lottery pick they will be on a useless winning streak soon

• Feb 21, 201410:33 am
    by jinzzy

I heard sixers are about to buyout danny granger

• Feb 21, 20141:48 pm
      by MrBlockedShot

He says he doesn’t want to stay in Philly so the Sixers can keep for a sing-and-trade this summer or a buyout.

• Feb 21, 20141:21 pm
    by Dave

My one comment on Joe preferring veterans to young guys is that I generally don’t think that’s such a bad thing. Look at how many teams seem to be in the lottery every single season, ourselves included as of late. Now look at our teams that have been champs. Heat, Mavs, Spurs, Lakers, Celtics… all done with veteran rosters. Even young superstars don’t seem to win until they are in the league a few years.
    I think Joe chose some of the wrong vets over the years, but I still like the idea of signing vets who have learned how to win then always thinking we’re one draft pick away from being a contender. How has that approach worked out for Cleveland?

• Feb 21, 20143:00 pm
      by oats

I’d say that Detroit has proven that adding bad veterans is just as bad as adding bad rookies, except there is less room for those bad veterans to improve. That’s sort of a problem. It’s an even bigger problem when the team is constantly overpaying those veterans, which they almost always do.  Any strategy has examples of teams using it poorly, and you can’t look only at those teams and conclude the strategy is the problem and not the execution.

Here’s the problem with the veteran thing for Detroit. They have stumbled into a potential franchise corner stone in Drummond, but he’s at least 4 years away from being that guy. Any veterans added now will either be in decline or close to declining when Drummond’s window should just be starting to open. That means Detroit will either have to continually retool on the fly or their window to contend will be really short. That’s not a sound plan. I guess Detroit could move Drummond for a top end player now if someone was willing to make that trade, but how often do teams get good value when dumping young players with superstar potential? I’d much rather try to add a few more young pieces and hope they grow into a good team. If not, then try to make trades or start playing the veteran acquisition game when Drummond is a bit older. That just makes more sense to me.

• Feb 21, 20141:53 pm
    by MrBlockedShot

We are done guys, say goodbye to the playoffs and most likely to our draft pick. Call me pesimistic but…that’s what we have here. Maybe we need another pornstar to ignite our players to win games and make it to the playoffs. Joe D c’mon!!!! You won’t have to spend 54 million $ again in one individual to make this team win games!!!