John Loyer won’t make big changes until after Pistons face Cavaliers

Essentials

• Teams: Cleveland Cavaliers (19-33) at Detroit Pistons (22-29)
  • Date: February 12, 2014
  • Time: 7:30 p.m.
  • Television: Fox Sports Detroit

What to look for

Apparently, firing someone does wonders.

The Pistons (who just replaced coach Maurice Cheeks with John Loyer) and Cavaliers (who just replaced general manager Chris Grant with David Griffin) are the Eastern Conference’s hottest teams, both riding three-game winning streaks. No team outside Houston has a long winning streak – though the lowly Magic are also at three games.

So, obviously a modest three-game winning streak means only so much. (Though don’t tell that to these teams.)

Like the Pistons, the Cavaliers are still fighting for a playoff spot with no indications they’ll be sellers at the trade deadline. In fact, Griffin said they’ll be buyers.

They’ve already gotten a boost lately from No. 1 pick Anthony Bennett, who even had 19 points on 3-on-3 3-point shooting with 10 rebounds yesterday. So, don’t be alarmed if the player already labeled by some as history’s biggest bust has some success and the Pistons. It wouldn’t necessarily be an indictment of Detroit.

As for the Pistons, expect a repeat of Loyer’s debut victory of the Spurs: minor offensive tweaks and standard operating procedure on defense. Loyer, via David Mayo of MLive:

“I kind of took this as a two-game increment, do the best we can do for these two games, get our guys focused, make a few changes, and then kind of start fresh again,” Loyer said Tuesday. “Whether then we go on a five-game increment, I haven’t really thought much about it. There’s a broader picture of things that we’ve got to cover and go over and add to the package. But most of that is going to be done after the break and we’ll spend time on the break working on that.”

The Pistons have a crucial challenge after the All-Star break, a back-to-back with the Bobcats. That will go a long way toward determining their postseason fate, and I look forward to seeing how Loyer approaches it.

For now, hopefully Detroit can win its eighth straight over Cleveland – which would match a record by either team in the all-time series – and keep a fellow playoff challenger at bay.

Read about the Cavaliers

Cavs: the Blog

• Feb 12, 20147:12 pm
    by Jake

Somehow you messed up the team records lol

• Feb 12, 20147:14 pm
      by gmehl

Damn you got first :-)

• Feb 12, 20147:14 pm
    by gmehl

You might want to fix the teams win/loss records there Dan. If Cavs are 37-14 i say the Pistons should be 40-10.

• Feb 12, 20147:59 pm
    by Jopl

Surprisingly good defense by Singler so far. He is glued on Waiters.  Only thing hurting us so far is Jennings shooting

• Feb 12, 20148:08 pm
    by Mrdumas

Don’t think the cavs are 37-14

• Feb 12, 20148:15 pm
    by Mrdumas

Bobcats won last night

• […] • There’s a lot to question in the timing of the Pistons’ decision to can Maurice Cheeks, but promoting his interim replacement just before the All-Star break does have its benefits. […]

• Feb 12, 20148:38 pm
    by I HATE LOSING (Predicting A Strong Finish)

Can I say this unless Irving is in a zone he is a horrible passing or floor general at PG…Pistons are trapping him daring him to make the right pass and he can’t or isnt….

• Feb 12, 20148:45 pm
    by I HATE LOSING (Predicting A Strong Finish)

Pistons defensive rotations are nice……note to Drummond big Fellas I love you but stop all that finger roll mesa and dunk on these dudes…280 6’11 dunking on guard no charge…280 6’11 trying to finger roll on a guard charge everytime

• Feb 12, 20149:41 pm
    by Jopl

Will Bynum is killing us.

• Feb 12, 20149:43 pm
    by James

How in the hell does Monroe continue to look like SHIT against horrible teams? I CAN’T STAND  WATCHING THIS SLUG!

• Feb 12, 20149:49 pm
    by Mrdumas

Damn what’s goin on

• Feb 12, 20149:50 pm
    by James

Tristan Thompson looks like a much more improved player since he came into the league.

• Feb 12, 20149:50 pm
    by jinzzy

time to move monroe

• Feb 12, 20149:53 pm
    by James

Monroe, Jennings and some horrible defense equals loss to the Cavs.

• Feb 12, 20149:54 pm
    by I HATE LOSING (Predicting A Strong Finish)

Losing Stuckey really hurt…. we missed that extra offense….

• Feb 12, 20149:57 pm
    by Steve k

So I guess it wasn’t all cheeks.

• Feb 12, 20149:57 pm
    by I HATE LOSING (Predicting A Strong Finish)

I wanted this win!

• Feb 12, 201410:00 pm
    by Zdwtr

Mo was right in benching bynum

• Feb 12, 201410:01 pm
    by I HATE LOSING (Predicting A Strong Finish)

Tristan Thompson 14 4th qrt pts….
    That 3rd qrt killed us…
    ,cheeks, Moyer or Phil Jackson…we need a wing player that can score and get his own shot

• Feb 12, 201410:04 pm
    by grizz3741

Poof! There goes the undefeated coaching career magic of John Loyer …. No matter how good or how bad he is, he is the Detroit Pistons head coach until the end of the season .. I want to believe he will make a big difference but ..

• Feb 12, 201410:10 pm
    by jay

Is it me but at one point  will bynum came down and shot the ball 5 straight times… that killed us much because the offense became so stagnant just watching him… he only knows how to pass to Drummond… where did Monroe go in the 2nd half.  He lost all of his aggressiveness in the 2nd half. This lost sucks ass…. so frustrating

• Feb 13, 201412:51 pm
      by ZekeKhaseli

Agree. Bynum puts BJ on the SG position. THat’s not his natural position. As for bynum in his natural potision he doesnt distribute at all. only that one trick he pull with Drummond. When Bynum is good he’s good in the blow out game. in the close game like this you can give the ball to him as PG. Loyer needs to realize that. Just play the starting five and live and die with that result at the end of fourth. If stuck is injured

• Feb 12, 201410:26 pm
    by I HATE LOSING (Predicting A Strong Finish)

Well many were predicting we’d lose to the Spurs and was hoping for a split anyway….
    I don’t know how much of this had to do with coaching…some of rebounds and loose balls just went the cavs way…
    My issue is we need a scoring wing…a guy that knows how to get his offense…. that just has to chance for us to make a serious run
    Stuckey had been that guy…but we need a starter..
    I don’t want to lose Greg I really dont…but once again..he is limited….which creates problems…

• Feb 12, 201410:37 pm
    by JYD for Life

So Sheridan Hoops reports that Lionel Hollins is openly making himself a candidate for the HC job.  Stephen A Smith claims that Gores is waiting until after March and then will make a huge push for Tom Izzo…that’s not happening…and here’s why:  8 coaches with 2 National Championships, 2 with 3 and 2 with 4…he wants in this elite group.  That’s why he turned down Gilbert’s millions to coach Cleveland a few years ago.

Coach

1945, 1946

Phil Woolpert
    1955, 1956

Branch McCracken
    1940, 1953

• Feb 12, 201410:46 pm
    by I HATE LOSING (Predicting A Strong Finish)

It’s still Greg slow defense and awareness…and no one was helping Drummond…he can be asked to block shots, block his man out, and rotate and be a weak side defender, guard the pick and roll..oh and get back in position for the defensive rebound….i think that’s a problem…

• Feb 12, 201410:47 pm
    by pablum

(1)Cavs got our 7-0 monkey off their backs and we could not hit a shot to save our mother drowning. KCP was a vacuum of failure, single-handedly sucked the life out of us at key points where we could have really run up a lead. His 10 foot airball form the baseline topped it all off. And the finale was a sick Stuckey leaving Bynum to guard Irving in the 4th. The end. (But you had to love our effort and Loyer seemed to be making solid game time adjustments.)
     (2) Jennings played like shit.’nuff siad. And Kyire wasn’t much beter ’till the 4th and even then, mucho gravy points. Still abosolutely stand by 100% that Jennings — who’s twenty-fucking-four — is a top 10 NBA pg.
    (3) This leads me to my final point. I learned something from my debate that nobody cares about with Tim today on why we lost his game. See Tim has a theory that Greg Monroe is actually two players. NO, I’m serious. Tim claims that when Moose is a Center he is a top 10 player in the NBA. But the other Greg Monroe is the one who plays PF. And this Greg Monroe is “not even close” to being a top 10 player in the game. And so, following this logic, which Im sure should spawn an entirely new area in the field of analytics, namely, the calculus of players playing positions that they don’t normally play, say, in a 3 guard rotation, when a guard must de facto be playing a 3, I know exactly why we lost tonight. Moose simply was forced to play PF too much tonight, especially in the first half of the game, when he dominated, but in the 4th, when Andre was forced to sit, Moose had to play center, and we lost. Wait a minute. Damn, I thought I had Tim’s theory figured out. Well, I’m off to fuck my younger trophy wife because being old with a little cash and a nice house gets you places when you’re old. Let that be my lesson to the younger generation. When you’re old, make sure you have nice digs and some cash. You will be happy.

• Feb 13, 20141:56 am
      by jerrific

Curry, Rondo, Rose, Paul, Irving, Deron Williams, Lawson, Westbrook, Parker, Louis Williams. That’s a list of ten pg’s that are unquestionably better than Jennings. I’m sure there are more that aren’t even close, and I would argue there are a fewlesser ones I would rather have, like MCW or that dude in Atlanta whose name is slipping my mind. Jennimgs certainly looks like he could be a top ten PG, the tools are there. However, he’s nowhere near that level,  and I’m unconvinced he’ll ever develop the IQ, or willingness to play defense, to get there.

• Feb 13, 20144:17 am
        by I HATE LOSING (Predicting A Strong Finish)

if you are talking resume…ok…if u are saying Right now! You’re being silly
        Rose hasn’t even played basketball in two years….and when he came back he looked average at best….same for Rondo…louis Williams? he is a SG who has also been injuried for the better part of the last two seasons…carter Williams passed off potential yeah…right now? NO! And his numbers are inflated do to the pace and number of possessions philly has….teague is having a horrible season all of his numbers are down….
        Not saying Jennings is the greatest….but the guy is solid….and good at PG especially in transition

• Feb 12, 201410:59 pm
    by gmehl

SO does this mean LOY-SANITY is over?? Damn that was a short wave of excitement.
    On a serious note does anyone feel Drummond is still getting the rookie treatment on calls? That one play where he got fouled and flipped it up and in in one motion should’ve been an and 1 play. Also it seems to me that he has to just graze someone before he gets whistled for a foul but he gets monstered and they don’t call a thing. How big you are shouldn’t matter and if its a foul then the refs should just frigging call it.

Just my 2 cents.

• Feb 12, 201411:11 pm
    by gtg2013

Hey, I’ve got a headline for your wrap-up post: “Pistons revert to form two games into the John Loyer era”

• Feb 12, 201411:12 pm
    by I HATE LOSING (Predicting A Strong Finish)

I don’t blame Moyer for foul trouble…guys missing ft, cavs making tough jumpers, and stuckey not being able to play…
    After this break it’s officially his team….he will have his own winning streak to start and his own losing streak to avoid…
    Said some things in the press conference we will see

• Feb 12, 201411:43 pm
    by JYD for Life

It’s pretty clear this team needs a no nonsense type of coach.  Someone who is in their faces and providing some discipline.
    There were shots in the first half that made me cringe.

Drummond doesn’t get calls because he throws his hands up after every whistle or every time he thinks he was fouled.

Moose needs to stop yelling “And 1″ after every shot attempt.

this is a phenomenally talented group.  They just need to shut up and play.  There’s no excuse for blowing a 10 point lead multiple times in a game other than a lack of discipline.

• Feb 12, 201411:55 pm
    by Vic

Drumroe needs to stop talking to the refs and start dominating without them
    No matter how much the bigs produce, you can’t win with 4 guards giving you nothing.
    They need to start running stuff for KCP, you gotta get him invilved.
    Jennings needs to stop heat checking, just shoot the shots he knows will go in, and Bynum only needs to play when Stuckey is injured
    I still think Loyer will do his thing starting next week

• Feb 13, 201412:47 pm
    by ZekeKhaseli

Jennings has an off game. I give him that. I wish they keep bynum in the doghouse. Mo Cheek has figure that out. Dont understand the man love from John Loyer for Bynum. Id rather give KCP time to get comfortable. play the seven man rotation. No Bynum. We wouldnt lost this game if he didnt turn the ball over on the fastbreak that led to their run. Too late in getting him of the game on the fourth.