Al Jefferson, Bobcats pound the Pistons for a second-straight night

Detroit Pistons 98 FinalRecap | Box Score 116 Charlotte Bobcats
Greg Monroe, PF 31 MIN | 5-15 FG | 3-4 FT | 7 REB | 0 AST | 2 STL | 2 BLK | 0 TO | 13 PTS | -26You ever seen a kids’ basketball game? You know, one where everyone is huddled in the paint and there’s no room to do anything? That must be how Greg Monroe feels every night. He struggled mightily, missing his first nine shots of the night. He wasn’t bad in his stint defensively against Al Jefferson late, though.

Josh Smith, SF 41 MIN | 7-18 FG | 0-1 FT | 4 REB | 4 AST | 0 STL | 2 BLK | 1 TO | 14 PTS | -26He padded his stats late in the game, but he struggled right alongside Monroe. Both struggled with the interior demon known as Bismack Biyombo (five blocks) and Smith couldn’t keep up with the Bobcats’ supastar stretch-four, Josh McRoberts (three 3-pointers).

Kyle Singler, SF 29 MIN | 3-8 FG | 2-2 FT | 0 REB | 0 AST | 1 STL | 0 BLK | 0 TO | 10 PTS | -20He’s solid, he’s steady and he did what he’s out there to do. Singler made both of his early 3-point attempts, he didn’t get burnt too horribly on defense and that’s about it. He is what he is, and his 3-point ability helps the starting five.

Andre Drummond, C 33 MIN | 4-7 FG | 0-0 FT | 6 REB | 0 AST | 1 STL | 0 BLK | 2 TO | 8 PTS | -12Do you think Drummond will wake up late tonight in a cold sweat thinking about the awful things Al Jefferson has done to him the past two nights? Drummond’s a great young player, but his weaknesses as a post defender have been totally exposed in these last two games — albeit against arguably the craftiest post scorer in the NBA.

Brandon Jennings, PG 35 MIN | 7-18 FG | 2-4 FT | 4 REB | 6 AST | 3 STL | 0 BLK | 2 TO | 20 PTS | -17He let his emotions get the best of him late in the game, collecting a pair of technicals and an early trip to the locker room, but he was decent otherwise with six assists and just two turnovers. Kemba Walker piled up 24 points, 16 assists against him, but he only shot 8-for-20.

Tony Mitchell, PF 1 MIN | 0-1 FG | 0-0 FT | 1 REB | 0 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 0 TO | 0 PTS | +2Mitchell came in and made an effort play, grabbing an offensive rebound. The only problem was Jeff Adrien blocked his put-back.

Jonas Jerebko, PF 20 MIN | 1-4 FG | 2-2 FT | 4 REB | 1 AST | 0 STL | 1 BLK | 0 TO | 4 PTS | +4There haven’t been many personnel differences between Maurice Cheeks and John Loyer — except the sudden emergence of Jerebko. It’s tough to watch him play these days. He was such a fun, grimy player when the Pistons drafted him in 2009. Hopefully he realizes that he should rebound and defend, not float around and shoot long-2s.

Luigi Datome, SF 1 MIN | 0-0 FG | 0-0 FT | 0 REB | 0 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 0 TO | 0 PTS | +2His beard and pony tail looked stylish, as always.

Will Bynum, PG 21 MIN | 5-9 FG | 3-5 FT | 2 REB | 8 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 2 TO | 14 PTS | -2Solid night’s work from Bynum, who has been the other player revived by Loyer. Bynum worked well against Walker, he didn’t fare too poorly on his wild drives to the basket, and his eight-assist, two-turnover night is a refreshing reminder of what he’s capable of on a good night.

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, SG 3 MIN | 0-0 FG | 0-0 FT | 0 REB | 0 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 0 TO | 0 PTS | +4Poor kid did absolutely nothing but stand around and run up and down the court for three minutes. I don’t know that he’s hit a wall physically, but it sure as heck looks like he has mentally.

Rodney Stuckey, SG 23 MIN | 6-10 FG | 2-2 FT | 3 REB | 1 AST | 1 STL | 0 BLK | 2 TO | 15 PTS | +1Who knows if Stuckey (or Jerebko or Bynum or Smith or Monroe) will be Pistons by 3 p.m. on Thursday, but Stuckey rebounded nicely from a nightmarish 1-for-11 night against the Bobcats on Tuesday. If this loss means the Pistons are changing course from playoffs to lottery, getting rid of Stuckey’s production would jumpstart the tanking.

John Loyer
It’s funny, against San Antonio and Cleveland, Loyer had the Pistons playing defense. They were legitimately trying and having some success forcing turnovers and generating offense off of that. But against the Bobcats it’s been absolutely the opposite. Charlotte is legitimately a good defense, so the frustration created by that may have an affect on the Pistons’ defensive effort, but watching both of these defenses is like night and day. Loyer can only do so much — he’s an interim coach for a reason — but he hasn’t looked a whole lot better than Cheeks four games, and three losses, into his tryout period.

• Feb 19, 201410:21 pm
    by Brian

Let the tanking begin! Trading Stuckey would definitely help that effort.

• Feb 19, 201410:31 pm
    by M. Madison

OMG make up your minds either lose bad or start winning and i say lose dont blow the draft pick

• Feb 19, 201410:32 pm
    by Prelove

Your grades have been generous for jennings the last few nights

• Feb 19, 201410:33 pm
    by jamesjones_det

Sadly as much as I want them to tank you know they’re not going to tank.  They will win just enough games in April so they get screwed out of the pick.  They have done this every year for the last 3 years now.

• Feb 19, 201410:43 pm
    by Hook Shot

Just stank and tank. This season is over. No guts, passion, or defense. This is not a Piston’s team with which I am familiar.

• Feb 19, 201410:52 pm
    by pablum

I will give vent to comment: (Burrrp).
    (1) The Al Jeffersons crushed us. Humiliated our savior by bashing his drum all over the court and leaving him in tatters like his non-existent jump shot and offense. He’s a great rebounder but nothing more so far. Indeed a gaping liability on O compared to Jefferson. (But I guarantee it is a “fact” he will make ”5 All-Star” Teams. Book it, Baretta).
    (2). Singler/KCP: The former is your generation’s Brooke Steppe, but not even as good, which means if he’s your starter you have no SG. The latter has fairly become a complete disaster as a player, which means you have no SG, and Dan, of course, won’t rightly devour his big fucking plate of KCP crow. (extra crispy…).
    (3) Jennings. This 24 year old kid is our best player, but everyone here hates him. Walker completely outplayed him tonight, but like I said, Walker has two very fine compliment Pgs/Sg’s — while Jennings has played the entire season solo, with no one. He’s had absolutely no back-court counterpart for the entire season. None. And, shit. My old azz would be running around the court like a happy azz kid too like Walker “Cause the Jefferson Destroyer was in da’ house.
    (4) Loyer…I’m not feeling too good about this…

I wish Tim woulda’ joined me like I asked, but not sure he can hang with how the old man rolls…

• Feb 19, 201410:52 pm
    by YeezusdaDon

Tank tank tank

• Feb 19, 201410:58 pm
    by gmehl

We’ve got the hardest remaining schedule in the league and have Cleveland, NY, Utah and Boston right on our tail. After 3pm tomorrow if this team stays the same I will put $50 down that we keep our draft pick. I am that confident of it. Excuse while I go throw up again after watching that mess!

• Feb 20, 201412:04 am
      by Parsons

I said in December if we didn’t do well in January than that was it. I saw our schedule after the break and it made me nauseous. I really wanted the Monroe for Afflalo then so we could compete in December and January because I really saw that as our last shot. Dropping these 2 entering judgement day was the worse thing for us. I don’t see us making a trade and it’s obvious we can’t compete as is. The sample size was big enough after the 1st 5 games to know what was going to happen and things have only gotten worse. This is why the phrase “sample size” irks me so much. We wait so long for a bigger sample and miss opportunities to fix a problem before it happens. Would you take a free sample of food and then tell the guy I can’t buy it I don’t know if I like it or not the sample wasn’t large enough? Your own common sense and 1st instincts will tell you. Sometimes thats all you need. This was one of those times.

• Feb 20, 20141:45 am
        by oats

How food tastes often has no random elements and you usually have a really good idea about how it tastes from that small sample. How good a team can be has a lot of random elements involved and can’t be determined from any 5 game stretch, none the less the first 5 games. Sample size is really only useful in making predictions for one of those things. It would be a lot closer to asking you to judge a song by the first 5 seconds of it.

• Feb 20, 20148:18 am
          by pablum

Speaking of food, I’m gonna’ eat some of my own crow, with the caveat that I could still be suffering from the tremendous ass whipping Jefferson and Walker delivered to us.
          (1) Fillet of crow: Jennings. However I like the kid, if he doesn’t start showing the ability to flat out drive in the center of the paint — not just the baseline– I’m going to start looking for buckets in my basement to prepare for bailing.
          (2) Raw Crow: Drummond: Everyone here knows I own my shit. But I’m also gonna’ cop out on all the pro-scribes — not just here but in all the papers & Barkley too — You all blew this kid up to a level where my old man gullible brain started drinking its own neural kool-aid. He simply won’t be a superstar unless he develops a shot — any kind of shot. And he should make a pilgrimage to the greatest Defender I ever saw — Mt. Mutombo, post haste.
          (3) Crow Benedict: Monroe. I’m gonna’ still wait on this one. But it is staggering, staggering, how Jefferson just destroyed him — and our entire team.

• Feb 20, 201410:22 am
          by Parsons

OK I admit food was a bad example but I used it more for the common sense part. 5 games in we we’re 2-3 10 games in we we’re 4-6. Cheeks coached before us and sucked why was it surprising to find out he’d suck with us? Smith’s always had a terrible basketball IQ why is it surprising to find out he’s still stupid with us? None of these guys could shoot before. You used music which I admit is probably a better example. If you give me heavy metal I’ll tell you I hate it. I’ll tell you 5 seconds in. I’ll tell you before the song starts because its already been proven to me before. I realise random elements go into a team but sometimes you know going in when something isn’t going to work. Sometimes you get surprised like Millsap shooting 3′s but thats rare.

• Feb 20, 201410:27 am
            by Huddy

I agree.  People like to talk about needing time to “gel” and bring up Miami not winning a championship their first year together….yeah but they went 61-21.  They got better than awesome after their initial “gelling” but at no point were they awful like the Pistons have been.  In Miami we are talking more talent, but even if you scale it down the Pistons should not require more than 50 games to even play basketball at a .500 level based on what was invested in this roster.

• Feb 20, 20141:59 pm
            by oats

@ Parsons. Ok, there is definitely merit to that argument. I would point out those 3 losses in the first 5 games were to OKC, Indiana, and Memphis. That Memphis game went to overtime, and Jennings missed 2 of those 5 and didn’t look complete healthy through all of them. 5 games was enough to convince me that Cheeks was the wrong coach for the team, but I was still open to letting the players get a little more time to settle in. By about game 10 it was becoming obvious that the Smith and Jennings group weren’t curbing their harmful tendencies any and that Smith was a much worse defensive SF than I had expected.

All that said, I still think a good coach could have gotten this team to about a 6 seed in this dreadful conference. That’s not enough to justify keeping it together since that’s the same as an outside chance of fighting for the 8 seed in a more competitive year.

• Feb 19, 201411:09 pm
    by YeezusdaDon

People keep talking bout trade someone …but who would want any of these sorry excuses we call players…I say let them all go start over from scratch …new GM new coach new players a guy can only dream

• Feb 19, 201411:46 pm
    by Smitty

I will be sad if we don’t trade at least Stuckey tomorrow. Blow this shit up and start playing Mitchell Siva KCP and Monroe and Drummond together. Any takers for Smith?

• Feb 20, 201412:06 am
    by spectorw

pablum wrote:
    The problem is one of the same. When the Pistons were winning, the Singler/KCP together were averaging between 18 and 24 pts per game but their shot attempts were around 3 of 5 or 4 of 7 f.g. attempts and their minutes was around 20 min each, depending on the player role of the day. Back to the problem, since Mo Cheeks does not have any set plays for both of them, most of their shot selections were “hustles” plays or bail out plays after Jennings or Bynum ran out of offensive options.
    All I’m saying is that our previous and current coaching schemes does not favored either of them to prosper. They rather depend on Smith and Stuckey to hose up 3′s.

• Feb 20, 20148:33 am
      by pablum

Good post. But Singler simply doesn’t have the talent to be a starting 2 or 3 in the league. Excellent bench player, to be sure. But as a starter you will lose big time with him night in and out.
      KCP can’t play the 2 if he can’t shoot by definition of the position. (Why, yes, we have an excellent shooting guard, great defender, our best perimeter guy, but, well, his shooting is another story…

• Feb 20, 20142:02 pm
        by oats

Tony Allen starts for Memphis at SG and is an even worse shooter. Memphis made the Western Conference finals starting him just last year. KCP’s not Tony Allen good on defense yet, but he could get there. I’d still want to upgrade on that, but a team could live with that from it’s SG.

• Feb 20, 20142:37 pm
          by pablum

Tony Allen’s been to the playoffs for almost his entire career — and played big in several of those series. He’s a great defender (better than good) and while I’d agree his jump shot isn’t much, he’s never been afraid to take it in crunch time and he has the mentality of a scorer who’ll bull his way to the hoop with his physicality.That’s not KCP, who I agree with you, could develop into an excellent defender, but as you noted before, so what(!), the nature of the NBA is good defenders get scored on most of the time anyway. KCP won’t stick around this league very long as anything but a marginal player if he can’t develop a consistent jumper.

• Feb 20, 201412:11 am
    by Smitty

If Gores isn’t going to let Dumars make a trade why the hell didn’t he fire him with Mo?????????????????????????????????????????????????

• Feb 20, 201412:16 am
    by Parsons

We ruled out trading Monroe, Stuckey, and Drummond. No one wants Smith or Jennings, No one else has value. Whats left? Singler? KCP? CV but his expiring contract must not mean much or I trust we’d trade him. I think we’ll just stay put tomorrow. I hope if just one lesson is learned from this season its that NBA basketball has positions and that some players (Smith, Monroe, Singler, ect) only excel at one position. Another good lesson is not to underestimate leadership. This is way more important than we’ve give it credit for.

• Feb 20, 201412:20 am
      by Smitty

Why not try to get a late 1st for Stuckey. A younger player with range and or both?  New York might want Smith? Brooklyn? I haven’t heard shit for rumors out of the D?

• Feb 20, 201412:28 am
        by Parsons

I got nothing to go with this. Just that this is the only rumor I think will happen. It might be wrong though I mean no one thought we’d fire Cheeks. Dumars is usually quite about his deals.

• Feb 20, 20141:48 am
        by jamesjones_det

Who is going to give you a 1st rounder for Stuckey that has cap space and doesn’t want to offload a longer contract to us?

When I dug some I only found a few teams that could pull of the deal without giving us a multi-year contract, they are:
        Dallas – Shawn Marion (only)
        Atlanta/Phoenix – Long shots if we take on 3 players
        Charlotte – would have to part with sessions so doubtful
        Philly/Milwaukee/Utah/Orlando – Not gonna happen

That’s it, really your only real hope is Dallas and I don’t see that happening.

• Feb 20, 20148:18 am
          by Huddy

Hopefully you wouldn’t be counting on Marion playing with any effortbecause he has expressed no interest in being dealt to a team without playoff hopes.

• Feb 20, 201412:33 am
    by Jodi aka "The Guru"

I’m patiently waiting for the trade deadline tomorrow…We have to make a move if we expect to make the playoffs…

• Feb 20, 20143:06 am
      by gmehl

You can wait all you want cause nothing is gonna happen… and you can write that down!

• Feb 20, 201412:47 am
    by Tiko

Man… sad season.

• Feb 20, 201412:53 am
    by Chris

So this will never happen, but here is the trade I want to see Detroit make and it actually makes decent sense for all parties involved:
    3 team trade:
    Detroit sends Monroe and Charlie V (or Stuckey) to the Wolves for Love
    Detroit sends J. Smith to Charlotte for Ben Gordon (whom we tell to basically take a hike) and a pick, MKG, or Biyombo kicker
    Love gets new scenery and a chance to play alongside an emerging superstar in Drummond,
    The Wolves get an emerging young star in Monroe, and an expiring contract for Love instead of losing him completely
    Charlotte gets their needed upgrade at PF
    And we reap the benefits.

• Feb 20, 20141:25 am
      by oats

I think that makes a lot of sense for Detroit because they are fleecing Minnesota. After the Monroe pay day they won’t really have much added cap flexibility. A Monroe and Pekovic front court makes no sense at all as a pairing since they basically do the same things and have the same flaws. Love is also way better than Monroe. They really need to do a lot better than Monroe as their only long term asset and no real financial flexibility when trading away a guy who is probably a top 10 NBA player, especially since he’s a 25 year old big man.

• Feb 20, 20149:53 am
        by Chris

The Wolves probably would be the sticking point here, but the idea is that they are basically going to lose Love for nothing if they don’t trade him, and the Lakers have absolutely nothing to offer them or Love besides a boat load of cash (which is why I don’t think he will end up there anyways). At least the Pistons have the prospects of Drummond and Jennings (I hear all you hissing about him, but he is a good PG and is improving in those respects), and without Smith, also a boat load of cash they can use to either resign Love or go out and get another complimentary FA for him. I don’t think the Wolves see Monroe as on the same level as Love either, but Monroe is an all-star  caliber PF, who is younger then Love, and with their free space they can also go after FA’s. Like I said, this trade probably would never happen, but I could really see it being a “back-to-the-wall” type trade Minnesota makes, which I have a feeling it might get too…..Either way of the Wolves contribution, I think we should make the Charlotte trade and get Smith out of here for cap space and a young asset

• Feb 20, 201410:15 am
          by Huddy

The Love trade scenarios are just like Melo.  I get where they are coming from as far as assuming the organization would cut its losses, but top 10 players in the league are so incredibly rare and valuable that most GMs are going to ride it out and try to do everything in their power to keep their star until the very end unless there is some real obvious statement made by the player that they are gone (Dwight Howard).  Love continually reports he isn’t looking to move he just wants to get better Just like Melo is always iffy.  If Minnesota knew they were losing Love the trade makes sense, but even a glimmer of hope is enough to keep a GM doing everything in their power to hold on to a player of that caliber.

• Feb 20, 20142:16 pm
          by oats

The trade didn’t really free up much cap space for them though. They’d have freed up about $5 million to make a move before signing Monroe. That’s it. Now if you did something like throw in Stuckey for Barea and Mbah a Moute you’d have freed up some significant cap space for them. It’s not enough to make a max offer on someone, but getting in that $13-14 million range on top of landing Monroe is closer to making sense. I think they’d still be asking for KCP and/or a pick or two. That’s generally the kind of haul guys as talented as Love get. We’re talking a young building block in Monroe, lots of cap space, and either some other young prospects or draft picks. The problem is that thanks to the Gordon trade it is hard for Detroit to make that kind of offer.

• Feb 20, 20147:44 am
      by @GPMasters

And then Love opts out and strolls off to the Lakers’ practice facility on July 1st, 2015.

• Feb 20, 20148:48 am
        by Patti #1

Agree…this makes NO sense for Detroit to get Love on a loaner for 45 days.

• Feb 20, 20141:06 am
    by Parsons

Bynum: “I’ve been here a long time, a lot of things have changed, but at some point it has to be the people on the court. Loyer’s doing a great job and at some point we have to look ourselves in the mirror.”

Bynum is absolutely correct. It really seems like we’re defeated at this point. Going past the deadline with no trade will only hurt worse.

• Feb 20, 20141:08 am
    by mshansky

Mr Gores:
    Yer team stinks.
    Yer management team stinks.
    Yer owner stinks.(that is you, numbnuts)
    Rich don’t mean smart, talented, or competent.
    Got it?

• Feb 20, 20141:12 am
    by YeezusdaDon

I think I have it! Gores wants to move the team to Anaheim. That is all I can think of for trading away a draft pick to dump Gordon when he could have been amnestied, allowing Joe D to sign Josh Smith AND trade for Brandon Jennings, and now, apparently, they are going to let Monroe walk for nothing in return, or worse yet, resign him to keep this monstrosity going! The guy is totally Major Leaguing us! Putting out a product so bad no one wants to see it so he can pack up and move the team so it’s half hour from his home! At first I thought he was just incompetent, but it turns out he’s clever, just a bit too clever. You have to try hard to put together this poorly assembled of a team. Sure you can go tankapalooza like Philly, but if you want to really discourage your fans, you build an awful roster with more mismatched parts then an IKEA warehouse, trade picks for literally no reason, and eliminate cap space so there is no hope of getting better. Well done Mr. Gores. You almost got away with it.

• Feb 20, 20142:00 am
      by jamesjones_det

Funny, I actually just watched Major League last night and thought to myself, I wonder if that has ever really happened…  Maybe you are on to something.

• Feb 20, 20143:23 am
        by gmehl

Maybe we need to get Drummond to start sacrificing chickens before games to light a fire under him.

• Feb 20, 20141:13 am
    by jprime18

Looks like the Disaster Zone is happening *sigh*

• Feb 20, 20143:02 am
    by MoATL

can beat the Nuggets and spurs but hard to match up against the Bobcats. I guess they have our number. its sad that Jennings is our best Player now we don’t even run set plays for Josh Smith anymore. think about it remember when we were winning 3 out of 5 games we will post up Josh Smith we completely abandoned that we would post up homo but then we abandon that too it just seems like there’s no leadership, coaching standpoint which is obvious

• Feb 20, 20149:11 am
      by Patti #1

Actually, Jennings did get the ball to Smith & Monroe in the paint.  Problem was that Monroe missed his first nine shots and Smith was unable to actually score inside also.  Even Stuckey struggled with his shot ringing out of the rim.
      Everyone looked stressed (because they were) and so they were never able to get comfortable and confident shots off.  There weren’t many smiles on the faces of the Pistons last night.
      As much as I disagreed with some of Cheeks lineups looking for something, he shortened up the rotations and was starting to get this team to gel.  Since getting fired I see this team back to total chaos again.  It’s only been a couple of games but I see nothing positive…only panic.
      Except now Bynum is the Pistons latest, greatest hope.

• Feb 20, 20143:52 am
    by microjfox

We’re screwed.

• Feb 20, 20143:54 am
    by grizz3741

Demoralizing Loss .. Worst in the past 6 seasons? Probably … How can we beat the Heat, Pacers, Spurs, and almost the Blazers twice … and stink up the Palace so bad so often?  Getting and playing players out of position too much? And having some players, coaches and GMs with zero bad-azz-ness …

• Feb 20, 20144:43 am
    by Hook Shot

Put Monroe on the bench, start KCP and Singler. Monroe. An play the role of Corliss Williamson on the second unit( he is automatic in the post). Not much else to say  We can come up with ideas for lineup changes and trade scenarios because we deeply care for this team, but this is a lost season. Give Mitchell some burn and sit down Jerebko.

• Feb 20, 20146:42 am
    by jeff m

Ounce along long time ago a great, and powerful champion named Dumars, and brought about greatness to a ounce hobbling kingdom of Detroit, now the greatness that subsided after king Davidson died, of old age, the kings champion has lost his ounce magnificent abilities to guide the kingdom, past the great enemies that lurk just out side the realms borders. The powerful minions of the evil realms that banded together to take down Dumars, lurk just outside the castle doors, ready to put out the last semblance of hope, it yet still has, and the only semblance of hope the kingdom of Detroit has left is if the champion Dumars is removed from his seat of power. We can only hope that another champion will come forth, save Detroit from the dismal fate it has in store.

• Feb 20, 20146:52 am
    by jay

I for one  is very disappointed in this season… but I am shocked to read so many people on hear upset . A couple of days ago that’s what most people wanted.  For them to tank.  Well that’s what they are doing losing n judging by there remaining schedule,  they will keep the draft pick in the most highly anticipated but very overrated draft IMO… THIS draft is not as deep as all the scouts n analysis claims it to be. Especially for what the pistons need,  which is a wing player… unless they get a top 5 pick… but we shall see

• Feb 20, 20146:57 am
    by Robb

The last 4-5 games I have watched using my PIP so I could watch regular show and Pistons down in the corner in little window.
    The big 3 do not work well. Need to make it 2 and have shooters.
    Chauncy I love you but you got to go. Same with Charlie V
    We need to seriously tank and break this team up and pray we can move up in the draft by any means possible. We have a bunch of rookies on this team and it shows.
    I hope Gores does the right thing and fires Dumars as well as a couple more at the end of the season or earlier.

• Feb 20, 20147:14 am
    by jay

Meant to say for one I am very disappointed in this season etc…

• Feb 20, 20147:39 am
    by @GPMasters

Straight up, CV31′s expiring for Afflalo. Nothing else needed to make it work.

• Feb 20, 20148:22 am
      by Huddy

You need something that would make Orlando remotely interested to make it work.

• Feb 20, 20149:50 am
        by @GPMasters

It depends what they are looking to do. Thats the big question about Orlando really. They might just want the $14m off their books. You dont know unless you ask.

• Feb 20, 201410:22 am
          by Huddy

Normally I would agree, but if you look at unrestricted free agents for 2014 or just FAs in general at look at who they would be capable of even getting with freeing up cap space it seems like a case of getting out of a contract early for nothing.  They will be adding yet another high draft pick young player this season and will have plenty of youth.  IMO it is more valuable to have a quality vet at that point than to just open up cap space a year before Afflalo’s player option when your team isn’t good enough to attract the best FAs available anyway.  Afflalo, a more savy Oladipo/Harris/Vucevic, and another 1st round pick might be able to prove to 2015 FAs that the team is worth heading to.

• Feb 20, 20142:20 pm
          by oats

Reports say they have turned down better offers than this though. The rumor is that they had an Afflalo for Bledsoe deal on the table and blinked last year and now they are trying to get similar value to that deal they passed on. They might realize that isn’t happening and move him for less, but not that much less.

• Feb 20, 20148:55 am
    by Schmidt

Trade them all except Drummond. Time to move on.

• Feb 20, 201410:18 am
    by @GPMasters

Reports suggesting that Jimmer Fredette is available for a second round pick…

• Feb 20, 201411:22 am
      by Parsons

Pierre Jackson too. Pelicans are about to lose him for nothing.