Ben Wallace’s SUV reportedly involved in potential felony hit-and-run

CBS 6 in Virginia (hat tip: Matt Watson of Detroit Bad Boys)

Silverio Acosta said he dialed 911 after he heard a loud boom around 2 a.m. at his home off Gaskins Rd. near Peppertree Dr.

When Acosta went outside to see what happened, he found pieces of his fence, which butts up to Gaskins Rd., scattered throughout his yard.

“It was dark, but it’s clear from here I saw one person trying to fight to get out of the car,” Acosta said.

That’s when Acosta said he saw a man pick up and smash pieces of wood against the fence “because he was angry.”

Police said the SUV, which was left at the accident scene, took out a 20-foot section of the fence.

Multiple police sources told CBS 6 News that the vehicle belongs to former NBA All-Star Ben Wallace.

Henrico police, who are investigating the wreck as a felony hit-and-run, would not confirm on the record that the vehicle belongs to Wallace.

Acosta said he would not have recognized Wallace since he is not a basketball fan. He said the man was very tall, but admitted that he could not see the fleeing driver’s face.

This unavoidably brings to mind Ben Wallace’s 2011 DWI arrest. That was hard to wrap my head around, and this will be, too.

• Feb 10, 20148:20 pm
    by Ryank

A tall man with a history of drunk driving…

I often wonder if a gets multiple OVIs if he has a drinking problem.  A friend of mine got one and he wouldn’t even look at a beer when he was going to get behind the wheel.

• Feb 10, 201410:01 pm
      by Ryank

I often wonder if a person gets multiple OVIs if he has a drinking problem.  A friend of mine got one and he wouldn’t even look at a beer when he was going to get behind the wheel.

• Feb 10, 201410:23 pm
    by Danielle

Ryank…..you sound drunk right now.  I have no idea what you are talking about dude.

• Feb 11, 20147:09 am
      by Ryank

Did you watch interview?  The guy said it was a tall man who wrecked the car into his fence…Ben is tall.  Ben has a history of drunk driving…  I’m just putting two facts together.

The other part…I believe most people who drink socially end up driving at some point after they’ve consumed alcohol.  If someone gets busted for it and they do it again, it makes me think they have a drinking problem…

• Feb 12, 20142:20 pm
        by trav

He also said That the man seemed short for a NBA Center…. But also had alot of heart.

• Feb 11, 20141:51 am
    by microjfox

I was thinking the same thing danielle. To get was cause for a little bit of celebration. As temporary as it may be. That off hand block by Dre was a thing of beauty. I think him and Jennings really like.playing together.

• Feb 11, 20141:52 am
    by microjfox

Tonight* this new auto correct update is taking some getting used to.

• Feb 11, 20143:04 am
    by jprime18

I hope it wasn’t Ben driving, though that seems unlikely. Hate to see a guy who seems like such a class act do this, especially when that guy has inspired me so much and is my favorite Piston of all-time.

• Feb 11, 20148:48 am
      by Rich

How is it unlikely?  He’s been arrested for DUI before, and it’s HIS car.

• Feb 11, 20149:34 am
        by DG

He’s saying that it is unlikely that it wasn’t Ben Wallace.

• Feb 11, 20149:40 am
          by Rich

Ugh, I’m an idiot.  Thanks for the clarification, which wouldn’t have been necessary it if I could read…

• Feb 11, 201411:40 am
    by koz

wallace still crashin the boards

• Feb 11, 20149:09 pm
    by James

Hilarious^^^^^^^. But yes, if its him I hope he gets a handle on things. Outside of Isiah, Ben is my fav Piston as well.