Pistons really, really wanted to beat Bucks, lose to Bucks

Every game is critically important for the Pistons in their quest to be one of the East’s default playoff teams this season. Tonight’s against Milwaukee, though, was especially winnable. The team is fading in the standings, its top acquisitions are struggling and the team has a penchant for blowing leads.

Tonight was the chance to start strong in a stretch of six straight winnable games against one of the league’s worst teams, the Bucks. Brandon Jennings was returning to his former home arena, the Pistons are a better road team than home team and … did I mention the Bucks are terrible? Maurice Cheeks even shortened his rotation to try to ensure the Pistons got this game, and you know how often Cheeks likes to make adjustments, amiright?

Well, things didn’t play out correctly. The Pistons blew another double-digit second half lead, Jennings ran out of steam late, Josh Smith continued to struggle and the current eight seed in the East is now Charlotte. So the Pistons’ ineptness could allow the Bobcats to sneak into the playoffs and still get a lottery pick out of it.

Detroit Pistons 101 FinalRecap | Box Score 104 Milwaukee Bucks
Greg Monroe, PF Shot Chart 29 MIN | 7-11 FG | 4-6 FT | 9 REB | 4 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 2 TO | 18 PTS | +13Dan Feldman suggested last week (to a mixed reaction from the peanut gallery) (Updated: Let the record reflect that ‘peanut gallery’ links to a Vince Ellis tweet as a joke. Also, let the record reflect that Vince Ellis is the only beat writer I read) that Maurice Cheeks’ plan to get Josh Smith more comfortable would amount to Cheeks marginalizing either Monroe or Andre Drummond. Tonight, Monroe scored efficiently, hitting 7-for-11 of his shots, rebounded well and passed well. Smith shot inefficeintly, rebounded poorly and turned it over more than Monroe. Smith played 34 minutes, Monroe played 29. Consider yourself marginalized, Mr. Monroe.

Josh Smith, SF Shot Chart 34 MIN | 2-10 FG | 4-8 FT | 6 REB | 6 AST | 3 STL | 0 BLK | 3 TO | 8 PTS | +8Before I pile on Smith, I would like to praise how much I enjoyed his passing in this game. Between Monroe and Smith, the Pistons have two of the best frontcourt passers in the league. Monroe had an entry pass to Drummond in the third quarter that led to a layup that was beautiful — it was a difficult angled bounce pass that Smith kept just low enough and had just the right spin on to get past defenders and perfectly lead Drummond to the hoop.But seriously, Smith was bad tonight. He missed two late free throws that would’ve cut the Bucks’ lead to one, he had a late turnover when the Pistons could’ve tied and he was one of the many defenders who had nothing for Caron Butler tonight.

Andre Drummond, C Shot Chart 33 MIN | 4-7 FG | 3-4 FT | 12 REB | 1 AST | 2 STL | 3 BLK | 1 TO | 11 PTS | -2Drummond was his normal efficient self. Replay helped eliminate an incorrect goaltend call against him on a Brandon Knight shot, and officials missing a pretty obvious goaltend call against him on another Knight shot in the third credited him for a block he probably didn’t deserve. The lesson here is it is hilarious watching Brandon Knight get his weak shots blocked. Also, a predictable refrain for Drummond — he looked gassed in the fourth quarter. But hey, look at that free throw shooting!

Brandon Jennings, PG Shot Chart 37 MIN | 11-23 FG | 5-6 FT | 4 REB | 4 AST | 2 STL | 1 BLK | 2 TO | 30 PTS | +4Jennings shot beautifully for most of this game in front of his former hometown crowd, but ran out of steam late. He missed all four shots he took in the fourth quarter. He got lost defensively on a couple of late shots by Milwaukee’s guards. But overall, Jennings’ scoring early was a big reason the Pistons built a double-digit lead.

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, SG Shot Chart 44 MIN | 3-8 FG | 2-2 FT | 6 REB | 4 AST | 2 STL | 0 BLK | 0 TO | 9 PTS | +5Caldwell-Pope had a nice all-around game, but every wing player who stepped on the court is responsible for Caron Butler playing like it was 2006 tonight, so his grade is going to suffer for that.

Kyle Singler, SF Shot Chart 19 MIN | 0-7 FG | 0-0 FT | 1 REB | 0 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 1 TO | 0 PTS | -20Singler shot poorly, which he does occasionally. The difference is he usually helps out in other areas even if his shot isn’t falling. Tonight, he didn’t do anything of value in the game.

Will Bynum, PG Shot Chart 11 MIN | 1-2 FG | 0-0 FT | 0 REB | 1 AST | 2 STL | 0 BLK | 2 TO | 2 PTS | -7Bynum played very few minutes and came up with a couple of steals, but also turned it over twice in 11 minutes. Not great.

Rodney Stuckey, SG Shot Chart 33 MIN | 8-16 FG | 7-8 FT | 2 REB | 1 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 3 TO | 23 PTS | -16The Rodney Stuckey Would Like Another Multi-Year Contract/Make Lawrence Frank Look Like An Idiot Redemption Tour continues with another great performance. Honestly, as critical as I’ve been of Stuckey at times, I’d love him on any team I root for … provided it is a one-year contract.

Charlie Villanueva, PF Shot Chart DNP COACH’S DECISION MIN | FG | FT | REB | AST | STL | BLK | TO | PTS | Charlie Villanueva tweeted Feldman tonight!

Maurice Cheeks
Maurice Cheeks really wanted to win this game tonight. Boy, did he want to win this. He shortened his rotation to eight guys (and really, seven guys because Bynum didn’t play all that much). The Pistons still had a similar result, though. They build a lead with good shooting early. They didn’t get the lead as big as it should’ve been because their hot shooting was combined with uninterested defense that always allowed the Bucks to be a quick run from getting back in it. Then, when the Bucks tightened their defense, the Pistons started missing shots and had no ability to make adjustments (I think they might not make adjustments well because I’m fairly convinced that the don’t have any plays that they know how to run). The offense became, “let a guy dribble around for a while and shoot a contested mid-range shot,” which resulted in a 58.7 (!) (seriously, 58.7!) offensive rating in the fourth quarter. Then, in the postgame interview, Cheeks said “50-50 balls” about 35 times in three minutes.So, to recap, the Pistons lost tonight because they didn’t get to enough 50-50 balls. And that’s the only reason they lost. Also, the game is 48 minutes long, which Cheeks was also kind enough to remind everyone.

Mailbag Mailbag Mailbag

Weekly mailbag runs Friday. We had some … uh … interesting questions last week. But I think we can top it. Submit your questions to patrickhayes13(at)gmail(dot)com or on Twitter @patrick_hayes.

• Jan 22, 201411:42 pm
    by Jodi aka "The Guru"

Man, I’ve never been the type to blame coaches, but our coach lost this game…That dude couldn’t see that our Smith/Monroe/Drummond front-court was actually playing well together tonight!..At the end of the game he should have put our big 3 in together and allowed Monroe to continue to beat up the paint…Smith wasn’t making anything tonight, but he played the stat-stuffing game well…How in the hell didn’t coach Cheeks notice this??! Hollins needs an opportunity to coach this group before everyone gives up on them…

How in the hell does Monroe play 28mins while going 18 and 9…Give Monroe the minutes to get us a WIN man!..F@#K!..

• Jan 23, 201412:34 am
      by PistonFanSinceDay1

Ha, my boy Jodi sounds pissed off! I always thought it was a bad idea to hire Cheeks as our head coach, he’s a great assistant coach. I was thinking that Monroe should have played at the end of the game instead of Smith(I’m a big time Smith fan). Change is coming soon!

• Jan 23, 20141:18 am
      by jg22

I was thinking the same thing watching it. For once the jumbo lineup was playing good together. They started both halves strong and built double digit leads both times.

He never went back to it to end the 1st half and the Bucks evaporated our lead. Then he didn’t learn his lesson the next time and again never put them back in together to end the 2nd half either, and again the Bucks came all the way back to win.

I simply can’t understand how he still has a job at this point. There’s just so many problems that any other owner would’ve made a change by now.  We are basically the Houston Texans of the NBA. The difference is they changed their coach like a month in, and we are still waiting.

• Jan 23, 20141:49 am
        by PistonFanSinceDay1

Jg22, good comparison. Just like the Texans, we have talent on our squad, we just need that coach and QB to lead us.

Go Seahawks!

• Jan 22, 201411:43 pm
    by MRCARTER

Only thing that will help this team right now is some dynamite.

• Jan 22, 201411:47 pm
    by MRCARTER

LOL at the Villanueva grade

• Jan 22, 201411:51 pm
    by Brandon Knight

Monroe doesn’t doesn’t deserve an A at all. Not even a B. Just because the way he started the 4th quarter. Ridiculous!!

• Jan 23, 201412:00 am

He scored four points on 2-for-2 shootiing with two rebounds in the first five minutes of the quarter. Not sure what you mean.

• Jan 23, 201412:59 am
        by Brandon Knight

Bad defense on Raduljica, a turnover and a foul.

• Jan 23, 201410:12 am
          by tommy t

but Smith can stink up the joint and that’s fine?

• Jan 23, 201411:18 am
      by Huddy

The way he started the fourth quarter…so conservatively we are saying in one eighth of the game…He he had 4 points, two boards and gave up two points, a turn over, and one nonshooting foul and that performance considerably drops him from a-b range despite a 18 and 9 outing in 29 minutes and 7/11 shooting?  yeah makes sense.

• Jan 22, 201411:53 pm
    by I HATE LOSING (Predicting A Strong Finish)

Good things is gonna happen to this team

• Jan 22, 201411:57 pm

Yes. Dumars and Cheeks will be fired in a few months.

• Jan 22, 201411:58 pm
        by Brandon Knight

@Hayes Cheeks yeah, but Dumars no way. He has a strong relationship with Gores.

• Jan 23, 201412:03 am

Right. Based on their long and storied relationship of … what … like two years now? Based on the fact that the arena has been empty since Gores spent hundreds of millions on the team (and additional millions to upgrade the Palace and add salary this offseason)? Based on the fact that Gores said he’s expecting the team to be in the playoffs this season? I’m sure that “strong relationship” can turn real fast.

• Jan 23, 201412:37 am
          by PistonFanSinceDay1

Dumars is here to stay. Gotta agree with Brandon Knight on this one

• Jan 23, 201412:42 am

Ha. Do you know that, if the Pistons don’t get above .500 this season (and it’s likely they won’t), Dumars will have had more losing season than winning ones as Pistons GM?

Yeah, that’s a great track record. Any time your GM can guarantee a winning season less than half the time, you have to keep him forever.

• Jan 23, 201412:50 am
            by Jerrific

I don’t know what you’ve seen that makes you think that. It was pretty apparent he was on a short leash when Gores got here, there’s no way he lasts if the Pistons don’t turn this season around.

• Jan 23, 20141:40 am
            by PistonFanSinceDay1

Hayes, it’s our first year out of our rebuilding project. Why would Gores fire Dumas this early? Building a championship team takes time, money, and patience. I’ll give Dumas 2 more season then let’s talk about this again.

• Jan 23, 20144:04 am
            by grizz3741

Agree with Patrick .. Joe Dumars is toast …. losing our number 1 pick won’t help either .. whether it is in 2014 or 2015 … If your GM picks like 5 straight HCs who are tuuurrible ….. UNLESS Gore wants to move the team to CA … Between the time Billups was traded, till just before the Drummond pick, which is quite a few years, wanted Dumars fired .. Back on that bandwagon ..

• Jan 22, 201411:57 pm
    by James

I’m officially not rooting for this team as currently constructed and managed.

• Jan 23, 201412:35 am
      by PistonFanSinceDay1

Come on, fair weather fans aren’t allowed here

• Jan 23, 201412:56 am
        by gmehl

I take offence to your comment. I feel EXACTLY the same way as James and there is no way in hell that I’m a fair weather fan. I have always followed the pistons through thick and thin but just because your not cheering on your poorly constructed team doesn’t mean your not upset they’re losing. Every loss they have makes me feel sick but what’s worse is when they lose to teams like Milwaukee who are pretty much assured a top 5 pick in the up coming draft where we might be waiting until the second round before we choose. SOunds to me like your condoning mediocrity just because its the team you follow.

• Jan 23, 20141:28 am
          by PistonFanSinceDay1

Gmehl, don’t take offense. If you stuck with the Pistons through thick and thin, well you should continue to stick with them(I respect that). I feel the same as you and as Jodi sounded on the 1st comment on this board. Every time we lose my whole attitude changes. There’s a difference between what we’re saying and what James is saying. He’s saying he won’t root for this team as its currently constructed. I’ll always root for the Pistons. Just because our front-office makes a move I dislike, I’m riding with the Pistons until the end. I might complain, but I won’t stop rooting for the Pistons.

• Jan 23, 20143:27 am
            by gmehl

All I’m saying is that I’m not rooting for this team ‘as constructed’ to win because it’s clear that it isn’t going to get better. If you and Jodi really think that this team just needs time together than I just find that plain laughable. This teams problems run deeper than just needing time to gel and it starts at the top with the GM to the coach that he hired and to the ill fitting pieces that he assembled. Our rebuilding effort should be on the upswing but 42 games in I think we’ve taken a couple of steps backwards.

Finally I’ve been a pistons fan since 87′ and I must say I feel the last 3-4 years have been the hardest. Just as much as we do I feel Joe needs a change of scenery too. No GM can perform his job properly on a short leash because it’s making him compound mistake after mistake. Time for a change IMHO and time to semi-blowup this team before it’s too late.

• Jan 23, 20141:03 am
        by jamesjones_det

I’m going to go ahead and say that if someone is on this board with how crappy this team has been over the years they are most likely not a fair weather fan regardless of how disgruntled comment may seem.

• Jan 23, 20143:36 am
          by gmehl

Exactly! I’m on it almost every day and if anything I think I care too much about the pistons. I just want a hard working basketball team again… think the Jerry Stackhouse/Corliss Williamson led pistons.

• Jan 23, 20144:07 am
      by grizz3741

Same here James .. This team QUIT on all of us .. despite having a fair degree of talent .. and one of the lowest number of wins ever needed to make the play-offs .. I cannot tell which bothers me more .. the stupidity of our offensive and defensive system .. or the lack of any determination to get a win  .. blaming Cheeks for both of these and the players just for a lack of pride ..

• Jan 23, 201412:03 am
    by Brandon Knight

Imagine guys if we had Gregg Popovich as our head coach. Lmaoooo. Give Popovich a below average team (talent wise) and he will get you to the playoffs Coaching matters a lot.

• Jan 23, 201412:10 am
      by Parsons

Exactly. Just ask Tom Thibodeau. His team isn’t much better talent wise plus demoralized by the Rose injury and yet are a game above .500. You can’t diminish the importance of your head coach and expect to have a good season.

• Jan 23, 201412:43 am
        by Brandon Knight

Yup Thibodeau and Popovich are great because of their demeanor. When they say no bad shots…they mean no bad shots. period. When they say move the ball…you better move the ball or they will bench your a**.
        Cheeks on the other hand is so laid back…he looks like he doesn’t give a sh**.

• Jan 23, 20141:13 am
          by jg22

I agree 100%. Thats why I knew this team was doomed the moment they hired Cheeks.

• Jan 23, 201412:13 am
    by Brigs

Change something…. Change anything… Change everything

• Jan 23, 201412:13 am
    by Mr Woods

@Patrick,  I think its over for Joe.  Still, I would try to give away Smith to Houston/San Antonio just to get out of that contract. Maybe LA Lakers. Even if we were to move Smith,  Monroe is soft & should be gone too for some # 1 picks. I still would look @ Boston/OKC to send Monroe.

• Jan 23, 201412:24 am
    by Parsons

“Vincent Ellis: Source: Drummond will be named to USA Basketball pool of players to compete for WC (2014) and Olympic (2016) spots.”

He deserves it. Congratulations to Drummond. By 2016 he should even be good enough to make the team. Who knows he might get close for the WC this year. Team USA could always use rebounding and shot blocking though I think the eyebrow will make it instead. He seems farther along.

• Jan 23, 201412:48 am
    by domnick

i want to get Carmelo Anthony… Trade Monroe, Stuckey, other assets… or even Money.. we just need a superstar.. a shooter… a good SF…

• Jan 23, 201412:48 am
    by Jerrific

Is it me, or is it a trend for this team to not feed Monroe when he’s being super efficient, but in games where he isn’t scoring all that well get him twenty shots? Sick of this offense not playing to its own strengths.

• Jan 23, 20141:01 am
      by gmehl

You kinda have to ask yourself if we actually might be tanking

• Jan 23, 201410:01 am
        by Parsons

Thats not a good sign when our team is so stupid you wonder if its on purpose. I believe that would be on Cheeks. We can’t play that unintelligently and expect to beat anyone.

• Jan 23, 20141:13 am
    by Smitty

Right now we are 4 1/2 games out of the 4th seed. 3 games out of top 5 pick. Now is the time to decide. Do you want to go up or down? This organization needs to make a choice.

• Jan 23, 20141:24 am
    by jg22

To make things even worse, the refs tried to gift us this game with 34 FTs to only 22 for the Bucks, and we still couldn’t win.

• Jan 23, 20141:40 am
    by B.Knight

i guess things will be more interesting when they make a trade and fire Cheeks in a couple weeks…

• Jan 23, 201410:10 am
      by Parsons

Can’t fire Cheeks since we might fire Dumars too. A new GM is going to want his own staff which means we can fire Cheeks but could only replace him with an interim head coach that probably won’t be that much better. I guess its worth a try but a Lindsey Hunter type would be about the best we could do. He is technically available by the way, even coached the Suns last year, I have a small hunch he’d be the replacement.

• Jan 23, 201410:30 am
        by jg22

I’d fire him now and give Chauncey a chance to coach these guys for half a season and get a taste of whether he wans to be a coach or not.

Though I don’t see why he would want to take over this mess.

• Jan 23, 201411:18 am
          by Parsons

I want Chauncey to be an assistant for a little while or else we’ll be no better than Brooklyn. Maybe George Karl as head coach with Chauncey as assistant. Chauncey could then be groomed to be next in line. Rather than being set up to fail coach Chauncey would be put into a really good position to succeed after learning from a great coach first. If Chauncey coached us now it would be like when Allan Trammall coached the Tigers. We sucked and now Trammell can’t get another manager job. Teams only see that he coached the worst team ever not that nobody else could have done any better given the situation.

• Jan 23, 20141:46 am
    by B.Knight

KCP is garbage.He doesn’t have any ball handling or slashing ability and he cant even shoot good… This pick is bad as the Rodney White pick… Joe D is the worst GM in the last 15 years by far with all his terrible draft blunders, the guy is a grade A d-bag… LMMFAO, damn idiot… we honestly should have had a totally different destiny starting with drafting Carmelo Anthony in 2003, but ever since that blunder and after we won it all in 2004 we been getting worse and worse but we should have at least 2 more rings after the 2004 championship. This is all like a damn nightmare, really depressing shit……….LOL

• Jan 23, 20142:07 am
      by Jerrific

Just imagine if he had drafted the other player with two last names.

• Jan 23, 201410:55 am
      by Tim Thielke

“Joe D is the worst GM in the last 15 years by far with all his terrible draft blunders, the guy is a grade A d-bag”

Thank you for illustrating the difference between rational people who think it is time for Dumars to be canned and absolute blithering idiots.

• Jan 23, 201412:15 pm
        by JYD for Life

I agree that it’s time for a change, but he clearly isn’t the worst GM in the league.
        He won a title as a GM.  Yes, that gives a pass for a few years, but it does not explain the coaching carousel or just the lack of a strategy.
        News Flash:  It’s not easy to win a championship…look at the last 20 champions…Lakers – 5, San Antonio – 4, Chicago – 3, Miami – 3, Houston – 2, Boston, Dallas and Detroit with 1
        One could even argue that he has put this team in a position for someone to put finishing touches on it and take it to the next level…He’s actually drafted well, especially compared to other lottery teams over the past five years.  While the team is an absolute mess right now, there are valuable pieces.  They just don’t fit together.  If Drummond is going to continue down the path to superstardom, you might see this team back in the finals in 3 or 4 years.  They could also be a middling team at the 4 or 5 seed each year if Drummond ends up being more like DeAndre Jordan than something better…

• Jan 23, 20142:08 pm
          by Tim Thielke

I’m not sure if you thought you were agreeing or disagreeing with me. But that’s pretty much what I was trying to say.

Dumars has earned himself the boot. But B Knight was being a “blithering idiot”.

• Jan 23, 20144:26 pm
            by pablum

Tim, Pat, Dan, have any of you actually talked to Joe D in depth about hoops? Any discussion where you could gain first-hand insight into his knowledge or understanding of the game? Any discussions where you discuss actual theory, strategy, and execution of the game? Any discussions of both the tangible and intangible aspects of what makes for successful players in the league. My uneducated guess is that none of you have, notwithstanding all your fine skills as journalists (sincerely).
            I know this is a vastly unpopular view, one that will elicit certain riotous derision, but in 20+ years of following Dumars, reading hundreds of interviews with him, etc., etc., and even on two rare occasions having an opportunity to talk to him personally at charity events, I can only say, as an amateur, the man has brilliant basketball mind. (Yes, I have plenty of barf bags for all). But it’s true. Joe D has a brilliant understanding of the game.
            I would only submit, via the Lakers, that once you lose an owner of the caliber of Bill Davidson, and then are saddled with complete neophytes like his wife Karen or Gores, it becomes an almost impossible situation to deal with, which is what Joe has been saddled with for several years now.
            And I’ll throw out this challenge to anyone here, the brightest amongst you, Oats, Otis et al (or whoever you deem as “bright.”). Not ONE OF YOU. Not ONE. Given a 3 hour conversation with Joe to discuss hoops would come away from that conversation thinking the great #4 should be fired. Not one of you, period.

• Jan 23, 20145:19 pm
            by Tim Thielke

I have no doubt that Dumars knows basketball and knows it well. A whole lot better than I do (and I’d like to think my knowledge ain’t too shabby). And I don’t think he’s a bad evaluator of talent either.

However, I don’t think he’s good at looking at the rules of a system (like the CBA), finding its flaws, and developing a clever strategy to game the mechanisms in place. And to me, that’s what a GM has to be good at. I think a board game nerd/tax lawyer would be the perfect sort of background for a GM.

He can hire scouts to evaluate talent (I’d actually love to keep Dumars as the head of the scouting department. just not GM). He can hire coaches to instill knowledge of the game itself in players or to provide insight on what pieces are needed, expendable, fit, etc. But the GM has to treat the entire thing as a strategic game and try to work the system.

That is certainly not the only legitimate perspective, but it’s kinda how I see things.

• Jan 23, 201410:18 pm
            by JYD for Life

Tim – I was agreeing with you, but also trying to reply to BKnight to further explain why he was wrong.

I’m also really agreeing with Pablum’s take on the situation and your most recent comment.  There was so much behind the scenes stuff prior to the sale of the team that it was nearly impossible to do anything.  The thing that really puzzles me is the Michael Curry situation.  That was just so strange, but a prime example of Joe changing the plan (or possibly not having one).
            With so many franchises celebrating their history and keeping legends around for things like recruiting (see Houston this year with Dwight – Hakeem, Dikembe, Clyde and Yao were all part of the process), we kind of need Joe around.  Bringing back Chauncey to put him down that path is going to be huge in a few years.

At the end of the day, like in any industry, your success is contingent on the people who work for/with you.  I don’t know Scott Perry, but I’ve never been impressed during the few interactions I’ve had with him or by any interview he’s ever conducted with the media.
            We saw a sharp decline in decision making when John Hammond left for Milwaukee.  Point being that it’s a team effort to build a contender.
            Seems like Joe (much like Mr. D or Tom Wilson) is loyal almost to a fault.  He needs good people around him and I think that echoes what Tim was saying.  At the end of the day, a “nerd/tax lawyer” is a good thing, but that person won’t necessarily have an eye for basketball (look at the recent article in the Sporting News where Doug Collins talks about this).

• Jan 23, 20141:49 am
    by B.Knight

it doesn’t even matter anymore, when we past up Carmelo or D wade that sealed are fate for the rest of eternity with this franchise, Joe D literally had a chance to make us a Dynasty and he blew it, point blank period. Now the NEW WORLD ORDER is planning to collapse society and the pistons will never win another championship while the NBA still exist for now……..LMMFAO……….LMMFAO………..LMMFAO

• Jan 23, 20144:12 am
      by grizz3741

Good one Brandon Knight !!  LMFAO.. but .. just like I kept saying “I believe in ‘Brandon Knight’ (the player) .. I still believe in KCP .. at least until we get a better HC and an offensive system that has a lot more than a few guys jacking up some jumpers ..

• Jan 23, 20141:52 am
    by B.Knight

the lions will win a superbowl before the pistons win another championship, BET ON IT, i already lived to see the pistons win one so i really don’t care if they never win one again, But ALL of us never saw the Lions win a Superbowl so i think all Michiganders would be super excited if that were to happen next season…… IT WILL HAPPEN NEXT SEASON, LMMFAO………GOOOOOOOOOOOO  LIONS!!!!!!!!!  hehehehehehehehehehehehe…………………….

• Jan 23, 20142:02 am
    by Joey R.

Cut Two guys find a way for a trade, maybe even sign Seth Curry someone willing to showcase his range

• Jan 23, 20144:09 am
    by Corey

They need a new GM immediately who will try to build for the future instead of mortgaging the future to save his job.

Todo’s for the new GM:
    1- trade Stuckey to a playoff team that needs a scoring sixth man. Get a late 1st or young prospect.
    2- keep Cheeks as coach for this year. Perfect tanking coach- his decisions make no sense anyway, so no one could prove he was tanking. Dump him in the offseason.
    3- keep Moose, Dre, KCP, Mitchell. Anyone else is tradable for future benefits. Mitchell has far too much potential to give away before you find out what he can become. Keep Singler unless you get something valuable. He’s not a throw-away, but is expendable.

In the off-season, try to trade Jennings and Smith. They’re too valuable to the tanking to trade now. Unless someone actually gives you something valuable for them.

Tell the coach to play the young guys- Mitchell and Siva need to see the floor, even if not tons if minutes.

Start respecting the value of draft picks and cap space as assets , rather than scarfing up the most expensive jackass free agent you can find.

Stop saying your building with character guys, and then grabbing the aforementioned jackasses at the first opportunity.

JoD must go because the good coaches won’t even consider working for him any more.

• Jan 23, 20144:16 am
      by grizz3741

Corey .. that is a very strong point about any and all good coaches NOT being willing to work for Joe D … Sounds like nothing but the truth .. End of the line for Joe this April .. If I am Joe D .. I fire Cheeks because there is at least A SMALL CHANCE  versus NO CHANCE of getting things straightened out in time  to make the play-offs .. But if Cheeks stays .. one good thing is we will make the bottom 8 and keep our pick .

• Jan 23, 20146:15 pm
      by Jon

That plan sounds just about perfect. Wish it would actually happen

• Jan 23, 20144:59 am
    by freeparty

I see a lot of fans saying “fire cheeks” or “fire dumars” but maybe it´s the owner gores who is an ahole.  just like it has taken lions fans 50 years to realize the ford ownership yields a loser.  now is a good time to think critically about this boob gores.  afterall, he came in and overpaid for a team that was in the pits with a white flight stadium and history of thuggish behavior (which i admire) AND DEMANDED THEY BE IN THE PLAYOFFS IN ONE YEAR.  typical rich ahole aquisition bs.
    how about focusing on improving a once great product for the fans to buy.  this garbage he sells cant get 5,000 paying people through the door.

FIRE GORES!

• Jan 23, 201410:35 am
      by jg22

I agree. Some fans just have a deep hatred towards Dumars for some reason, but Gores is the one who is keeping him employed. Gores was the one who gave him a chance to stay last year and hire Cheeks.

Ultimately Gores is the one to blame.

• Jan 23, 201411:00 am
      by Tim Thielke

We have lower expectations of owners. They’re just the pockets behind the operation. Coach and GM are actually supposed to make the team good.

Also, we have no idea how good of an owner Gores is. There was never even any suggestion out there that the Pistons wanted to use the amnesty clause. But if he’s not willing to step up and foot the bill (while still making a huge profit) to give the team a competitive advantage, he should be investing in other things, not sports teams.

• Jan 23, 201411:55 am
        by JYD for Life

It’s pretty clear he bought this team to flip it…that’s what he does.  He got it on the cheap because Karen D. wouldn’t sell to Illitch.  While that’s blowing up in his face, it might make sense for him to sell it now and try to break even.
        Let Illitch buy it, move the Wings to the Palace next year and then both downtown when the new stadium opens.
        Also, rumor has it that Gores and his cronies were fans of Mo Cheeks…

• Jan 23, 20141:53 pm
          by freeparty

The LA thing does not work many other places than LA, right.  In Detroit things are good and bad, and they come when they come, like NBA championship and the thaw of the final patch of snow.  Detroit has imense patience and hope.  Gores does not get it.

Another rich guy out of touch with his worker base who demands results based on arrogance…yet, we will stay waiting.

• Jan 23, 20142:12 pm
          by Tim Thielke

I’m fairly confident he could flip it for a profit. But if that’s his goal, hopefully he hurries up and does it already.

There are lots of business ventures to invest in that there aren’t so many people emotionally invested in.

• Jan 23, 20145:09 am
    by mythx

First thing we need to do…trade Josh Smith for an ending contract by the trade deadline. I dont expect any better from him than that.  Then just keep the tankfest rolling.  I do not think much of Jennings either but he at least fills a spot. At this point the Pistons would simply be better without Smith hogging up minutes and chucking airballs.
    In reality this is now almost a total rebuild. Drummond is a keeper. Other than that its all just question marks. Play all they guys under 24 and see what you can make from them. We still have not seen if Monroe and Drummond can actually play well together with a real SF. And as long they keep Smith we wont really have a chance to find out

• Jan 23, 20146:22 pm
      by Jon

If you want to tank, I think Smith is gonna have to be a part of it.  He’s too valuable as an airball shooting, offense stopping player to get rid of if the team wants to tank. Get rid of him in the offseason.

• Jan 23, 20145:57 am
    by I HATE LOSING (Predicting A Strong Finish)

We the Pistons can either blow it up now or wait either way it’s gonna get blown up…
    if the end results doesn’t land us a scoring Wing player that can defend then it’s pointless…

• Jan 23, 20146:03 am
    by @GPMasters

Cut-price coaching. Instead of splurging money on Smith we should have told Hollins to name his price.

• Jan 23, 20146:32 am
    by I HATE LOSING (Predicting A Strong Finish)

We keep going cheap on coaching….buti don’t think that was dumars

• Jan 23, 20148:09 am
      by gmehl

I totally agree with that comment

• Jan 23, 20147:58 pm
      by oats

I think it is Dumars. He seems to think that the only time coaching really matters is when the team is a contender, and this team was never expected to contend with Miami or Indiana. I think he saw Cheeks as a viable caretaker that would likely need to be replaced in a few years when the team is legitimately good.

• Jan 23, 20148:03 am
    by jay

Dumars is not a perfect Gm but he isn’t this bad of a Gm as well.  I believe these moves he has made shows that there is either strong influence or enormous pressure ..these are not 100% Joe d moves…. that’s y I think it’s time for him to step down.. he has nothing left to prove…. won championship as both ….
    With that said Monroe or Smith has to go. They both are playing out of position n that’s killing us along with Jennings defense n mindset…  when we hired cheeks I thought he was cool but now I’m asking myself where is the discipline… I remember when Larry brown was here n billups would pull up even if he made it LB would be on his ass because thats not the shot he wanted.  Now LB was a lil over the top but Jennings clearly n who ever else shot the ball in the closing mins in fourth were I’ll advise shots…. the pistons became a one on five team down the stretch… I put that on mo…I did not buy season tickets to see this B.S.

• Jan 23, 20148:46 am
    by Edgar

What’s so frustrating about this season is how predictable it all was. A lot of us were saying that Cheeks was a mediocre, retread coach when he was hired. Everybody knew Jennings and Smith were high-volume, low-percentage shooters. If you run your offense through high-volume, low-percentage shooters, you’re just never going to be very good. There was enough of a track record to show Dumars this. It was fairly predictable that the jumbo lineup was going to cause some problems.
    Predictable = preventable. Gores’s impatient myopia + Dumars’s bad basketball acumen = losing to the worst team in the league in late January.

• Jan 23, 201410:19 am
      by Parsons

You’ve got to wonder how a man that studies NBA basketball for a living didn’t see it coming though? The other 29 GMs did why not ours? I mean I don’t study NBA basketball for a living but I could see this coming. Did he really think any of this would turn out well?

• Jan 23, 201412:55 pm
        by Ozzie-Moto

Exactly   All on Dumars  ,  He has made so many mistakes it unfathomable he is still GM  …The current roster and coach are about as bad as it could have gotten. EVER single commentator and most fans could see these exact problems would occur.  A number or reason that he is still here among them. Fans and media wanting to show deference to his playing days (great guy good player) but not so good GM.  Media that coddled him. Davison’s window not wanting to make a change. Gore lacking the moxie to make a move when he came in (More or the overly protective deference) Gores complete failure to get that give Dumars one more chance could CAUSE SO MUCH DAMAGE ……..  and honestly the idea of keep him even if Detroit slips into the playoffs will just set the team back for another decade ….  at best let Dumars step down himself at the end of the year but Cheeks i could see letting go right NOW

• Jan 23, 20148:53 am
    by James

You do realize he traded away one lottery pick last year, another the year before. And now he is Damn near forced to trade another top 15 pick in Monroe. THAT ALONE IS GROUNDS TO BE FIRED. Can’t draft, can’t accurately judge free agents, GO AWAY!

• Jan 23, 20148:54 am
    by James

He an Ainge are virtually the same, 1 ring after ten plus yrs. However, I would be far more comfortable with Ainge as a GM than Dumars.

• Jan 23, 201410:27 am
    by I HATE LOSING (Predicting A Strong Finish)

Ainges got bailed out twice…
    One Paul Pierce and Garnett are long time friend…its the only reason Garnett even came to Boston…and then when they left they did it together….little to do with ainges
    Dumars has made draft mistake… but at the end of the day he has been horrible…but he has missed the mark
    But that happens, then he was put in a no win situation with old management before Gore came he had his hands tied…then Gore came in with we want to win now…so u throw money at the best FA on the market and yes take away Chris Paul and Dwight…Josh Smith was the top FA in the market..
    At the end of the day..
    Just saying Dumars has faults…but it’s not all on him

• Jan 23, 201410:44 am
      by I HATE LOSING (Predicting a Strong Finish)

(Cant wait for you guys to get an edit option)

Ainges got bailed out twice…One Paul Pierce and Garnett are long time friends…its the only reason Garnett even came to Boston…and then when they left they did it together….little to do with aingesDumars has made draft mistake… but at the end of the day he hasnt been horrible…but he has missed the mark (Too much is made of the Darko pick, do research the kid was the shit at that time if no Lebron was in that draft Darko guess one move on)But it happens, then he was put in a no win situation with old management before Gore came he had his hands tied…then Gore came in with we want to win now…so u throw money at the best FA on the market and yes take away Chris Paul and Dwight…Josh Smith was the top FA in the market..This draft past draft was unpredictable…so in a win now situation you do not draft a Rookie PG…with questions…Hell I was wrong about Shabazz but I was dead on about Carter-williams…i’ve never seen a draft like last year with so lottery guys not even contributing on sub. 500 teamsAt the end of the day..We probably should not have gave up the pick…but banking on a draft to turn ur franchise around…with a owner wanting to win now…soo much he pay Phil Jackson probably close to 1 million to advise you on who your head coach should be…and u end up with Cheeks? …Real random thoughts Just saying Dumars has faults…but it’s not all on him

• Jan 23, 201411:22 am
        by Huddy

The edit option is built in.  You read what you wrote before you hit “submit comment” and boom!  Edited.

• Jan 23, 201412:28 pm
      by jg22

I think Phil advised on that coaching hire for free just as a favor to Gores. And in my opinion, the only reason was because of the Brian Shaw thing. I think they were interested in hiring him and wanted Phil to come in and tell them about how things might work under Shaw. Then when he decided he didn’t want to coach here and went to Denver that was probably the end of Phil’s involvement. I doubt he had any input on Cheeks.

• Jan 23, 201410:47 am
    by Steve K

This team is so depressing.

• Jan 23, 201410:50 am
    by Windy

I love that it took Joe D and supposedly Phil Jackson to hire Mo Cheeks…are you sh!tting me hahaha how about we’re willing to spend a million dollars who is out there? You get what you pay for…the fact that Joe is even around at this point is crazy, Gores must be massively detached from this team or totally clueless, or both…its pretty apparent that a trade must be done but I don’t think Joe even trusts himself to do that this year…so he can sit on his hands, match a max offer for Monroe and watch this team kill another 3 years of the 8 years we will actually be able to keep Drummond…2 down, 6 to go and there is no glimmer of hope in sight…talk about a mess, lastnight is the bottom man, wake up and do something…standing by and watching the the house burn is brutal…

• Jan 23, 201411:11 am
    by James

Hell, CV tweeted last night that change is obviously needed, LMAOFFFFFFFF!

• Jan 23, 201411:12 am
    by James

Gores has only been here 2 yrs, so yes, Dumars is to blame.

• Jan 23, 20142:50 pm
    by Derek AKA Redeemed

Yet another utterly unacceptable loss where we slept through plays that called for maximum effort.  I’m not sure why the paint routinely separates like the Red Sea, but something has got to give.  At some point guys have to have too much pride to give up easy baskets (especially when it seems to be so difficult for us to score).

Great to see Jennings go off on a scoring binge, puzzling to see Moose have so few touches against a team of bigs he has a history of schooling.  I imagine some trade is on the horizon.  I imagine somebody’s going to get fired at the end of the year.  And we will be back at square one rebuilding for another offseason, even if we make the playoffs.

• Jan 23, 20144:16 pm
    by Windy

If we make playoffs that is not an accomplishment…we make it with a losing record and lose our pick to team that’s better than us haha we’re landing in that awful grey area…with no pick and moose either walking or signing with us we will be in the same mess and have no pick…TRADE MONROE NOW!!!  Get something back because this team is terrible as is…

• Jan 23, 20147:56 pm
    by Zeke11

My long standing question is WHY when ownership said we were cutting ties with Billups and Ben Wallace to pursue mega free agents Carmelo, Wade, Bosh and LeBron a few years back di we then waste that money on Gordon and Charlie V before ever making a run at any of those free agents??? And here again we are sitting with some big name scoming available and instead we jumped the gun again, dumping money on Josh Smith and Jennings?? I just don’t understand the logic…

• Jan 24, 201411:17 am
    by Pratik23

If the Pistons are not going to pull off a trade. Cheeks needs to try something else with the rotations. We need more shooters in the starting line up. The Josh Smith at the 3 experiment should come to an end. We shouldn’t be afraid of benching Moose…he’s good..but things are not working. With the current roster I’d rather start Jennings, Stuckey, Singler, Smith, Drummond (better spacing, better offense, better defense). KCP has not given us anything on offense, not even consistent three point shooting (he has too much pressure to start..he should come off the bench and focus on defense and quick three’s, also need to give datome more playing time? As much as we all hate stuckey…it’s nice to see him go out fighting..start his ass…and see if his production can be equally as good. Then you still have Bynum, KCP, and Moose coming off the bench..Greg should stick to playing center behind Andre and dominating offensively. Dre and Smith need to be more active on defense, along with Stuckey and KCP…we need a better three and D guy: Harrison Barnes, K. Leonard, Jeff Green..please get one of these guys.
    As of now we are out of the playoff race, but can easily get back to .500 with a few streaks..we’ve had zero streaks this season besides a 4 game win streak I believe.