Pistons get shellacked in yet another second half, this time by Raptors

Detroit Pistons 91 FinalRecap | Box Score 112 Toronto Raptors
Greg Monroe, PF Shot Chart 29 MIN | 5-12 FG | 1-2 FT | 11 REB | 1 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 2 TO | 11 PTS | +3If you really care about individual matchups, no Piston “won” his more than Monroe. He missed a few bunnies early that were painful at the time. But given the second half, they didn’t really matter.

Josh Smith, SF Shot Chart 31 MIN | 5-12 FG | 3-9 FT | 6 REB | 2 AST | 1 STL | 2 BLK | 1 TO | 13 PTS | -10I still don’t understand why Smith couldn’t defend a shooter if his life depended on it.

Andre Drummond, C Shot Chart 35 MIN | 2-6 FG | 2-6 FT | 16 REB | 0 AST | 1 STL | 2 BLK | 2 TO | 6 PTS | -24In spite of ending up with 5 fouls, Drummond picked them up relatively late, so at least he was able to be in for much of the game. His help defense was good, but Valanciunas worked him over. Drummond kept biting on pump fakes that allowed Jonas to blow by him for uncontested dunks.

Brandon Jennings, PG Shot Chart 34 MIN | 6-19 FG | 7-9 FT | 3 REB | 9 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 3 TO | 22 PTS | -11Sadly, this is the best Jennings we’ve seen in a while. His big numbers were hollow, but at least they existed.

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, SG Shot Chart 30 MIN | 6-8 FG | 0-0 FT | 3 REB | 2 AST | 4 STL | 0 BLK | 1 TO | 13 PTS | +2Caldwell-Pope had a huge first half. He was probably the most instrumental Piston in causing them to be ahead at the intermission. Unfortunately, he seems to be the Pistons who most consistently vanishes after the break.

Josh Harrellson, PF Shot Chart 4 MIN | 0-0 FG | 0-0 FT | 2 REB | 0 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 0 TO | 0 PTS | -4I’m not sure whether Harrellson gets his couple minutes because Cheeks wants him to play or because he doesn’t understand the concept of staggering.

Jonas Jerebko, PF Shot Chart 4 MIN | 0-0 FG | 0-0 FT | 0 REB | 0 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 0 TO | 0 PTS | -4Did nothing in garbage time, who cares?

Charlie Villanueva, PF Shot Chart 11 MIN | 1-4 FG | 0-1 FT | 1 REB | 0 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 1 TO | 2 PTS | -11Villanueva was missing his shots, that makes him useless.

Kyle Singler, SF Shot Chart 26 MIN | 2-3 FG | 0-0 FT | 3 REB | 0 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 1 TO | 4 PTS | -11Singler has never been so invisible. You have to make your presence felt at some point if you play 26 min.

Will Bynum, PG Shot Chart 14 MIN | 2-7 FG | 0-0 FT | 1 REB | 4 AST | 1 STL | 0 BLK | 1 TO | 4 PTS | -21He missed too many shots, but I actually liked Bynum’s play. He hustled on both ends.

Rodney Stuckey, SG Shot Chart 20 MIN | 4-13 FG | 6-8 FT | 1 REB | 2 AST | 0 STL | 1 BLK | 2 TO | 14 PTS | -12Stuckey looks like he still has some recovering to do.

Maurice Cheeks
Meshing the talents on this roster is probably a tougher task than most coaches face, but Cheeks is doing a terrible job. If there were some sort of Worst Coach of the Year award, Cheeks and Kidd would be in a stiff battle for it right now.

• Jan 9, 20147:18 am
    by @GPMasters

As a Pistons fan from England, I’d like you all to know that this was the first evening game this season where I chose not to wake up at 6am and watch on tape delay / League Pass.
    I’m done with watching full bonehead games for now. Will just catch the highlights (lowlights). Why should I put full effort in when they do not? Of course I could go low IQ, Josh Smith / BJ style and try watching the game backwards or something.
    FUMING

• Jan 9, 201410:44 am
      by jinzzy

I should have done the same thing , I m tired of staying up all night to see a bunch of bums playing with no heart.

• Jan 9, 20147:22 am
    by grizz3741

IS A+ code for FIRE THIS BUM?

• Jan 9, 20148:57 am
      by Tim Thielke

I thought I’d given him an F. Fixed now.

• Jan 10, 201410:14 pm
        by grizz3741

Tim .. another solid game review .. thanks …

• Jan 9, 20147:24 am
    by pistonspoland

Great! Pistons on 9th spot in East! I really think we won’t recover and we WILL miss the Playoffs :) Bye bye Dumars

• Jan 9, 20147:37 am
    by Ra

I’m actually sad that Dumars is about to get the axe.  He hasn’t really done his job as a GM, but he was the last link to the Bad Boy Piston era.  Sad to see.

• Jan 9, 20149:28 am
      by Tim Thielke

I’m not yet convinced he will get canned, but I share the sentiment.

• Jan 9, 20147:51 am
    by pt

FYI – This was the Raptors third game in four nights. Two of those games were a Miami/Indiana back-to-back (and they were stranded in Miami due to weather so didn’t arrive in Indiana until the afternoon of the game.). And they still ran this clown Detroit team out of the gym. Tsk Tsk Tsk.
    Josh Smith is worse than Rudy Gay and Landry Fields combined.

• Jan 9, 201410:43 am
      by PistonFanSinceDay1

You might be going too far. Smith isn’t that bad man, hahahaha.

• Jan 9, 20147:52 am
    by ITS OFFICIAL I HATE CHEEKS

What the HELL how can you have this much…and still have the same record as last year? …. josh smith pretty much led the hawks to the play-offs last year…Jennings did the same with the Bucks…Drummond is better than last year, Greg is the same, ….Cmon other than the Knicks we are talking 6-7 straight 2nd were we have looked like do-do on a stick….
    Joe go ahead part ways with Cheeks, and Hire a Winning Coach to save this season

• Jan 9, 20149:50 am
      by Pistons

Not that I actually ever want to watch Cheeks pretend he knows what he’s doing ever again but we can’t fire him until we know Dumars’s fate. A new GM might actually want to hire a competent coach which isn’t Dumars’s style. I guess we can just hire an interim for a year though but we still have to find a real coach in the offseason. I doubt George Karl would come to our rescue mid season so this problem is still here in the offseason. The only interim head coaches would be guys like Lindsay Hunter who are looking for a chance but have no real experience. Not a big improvement but at this point he can’t do any worse.

• Jan 9, 201410:42 am
      by PistonFanSinceDay1

Hollins or McMillan are still waiting for a phone call from an employer

• Jan 9, 201412:59 pm
        by sebastian

Nate is currently an assistant on the Pacers’ bench. Joe should have hired him when he had the chance. Dumb ass, Joe.

• Jan 9, 20148:06 am
    by Hook Shot

Frank looking pretty good now, isn’t he? Cheeks is pathetic and obviously his staff isn’t much better. Hollies would have had this team defending much better and the record would reflect it. The Pistons just might miss the playoffs. Brooklyn is starting to come around.

• Jan 9, 201410:28 am
      by Clint in Flint

No, Frank never looked good!

• Jan 10, 201412:10 am
      by Herman Neutic

Last year, folks hated Frank because he wouldn’t play Drummond and Monroe together, because he tried to bring Drummond along at reasonable pace, and because they didn’t like his “rotations,” as if the team as constructed had, or has, some rotation that might magically work if only the right coach was here to figure it out and put it in place. Now they hate Frank because he has been proven correct in his assessment and approach, and because, as is now painfully obvious, Frank was simply trying to make the best of a very bad situation.

• Jan 10, 201412:50 am
        by Smitty

I think people were mad because they wanted to see if Monroe and Drummond would work together. Frank probably already knew that answer. Probably not. Clearly Joe D does not know either. Signs 2 players that clearly do not help the situation with Monroe and Drummond. Barring some miracle trade, the Pistons would be best served trading Josh Smith for and expiring or a SF that can shoot. Our defense wouldn’t get any worse than it is now.

• Jan 9, 20148:19 am
    by @GPMasters

Ujiri has done wonders with the Raptors in such a short time. That’s a forward thinking, analytical modern GM for you.

• Jan 9, 20149:51 am
      by Vic

yep… and he’s doing it with the exact same coach he had last year and in the beginning of the year.

• Jan 9, 20148:27 am
    by ITS OFFICIAL I HATE CHEEKS

As long as we get the 8th pick or lower….id be okay

• Jan 9, 20148:38 am
      by jerrific

Thing is, we probably aren’t bad enough to get that low. Especially considering the tanktastic nature of the league in general this season.

• Jan 9, 20144:52 pm
        by oats

I don’t know, if they actually started trying to lose they should be capable of doing it. They are more less hanging even with the Lakers right now. Cleveland just traded for Deng because they want to be good, and the Knicks still think they can get there too. Boston could also end up having Rondo coming back from injury, and he might improve them. If Detroit is worse than 3 of those teams then they likely keep their pick. There’s still the slight chance of finishing with the 8th spot and getting jumped in the lottery, so even doing that doesn’t guarantee it. If I made the decision to tank I’d make it known that it was a priority they end up in the 7th slot, which would be much harder to do. Still, keeping the pick seems possible to me.

• Jan 10, 201410:26 am
      by jamesjones_det

This is the one thing I don’t get, why are people so OK with picks?  What have the last 6 draft picks done to make this team better, seriously?

• Jan 9, 20148:28 am
    by ITS OFFICIAL I HATE CHEEKS

If in the last month it looks like we are going to miss the play off we should just tank the season. One of the most talented drafts this year

• Jan 9, 20148:38 am
    by Lethal Leeroy

Why no KCP in the 3rd or run zero for him in the 4th. Very frustrating to have the one guy getting it going and never going back to him. I don’t give a shit if he’s a rookie, he deserved the opportunity to try to keep it going.., this happens all the time with Mo. It seems he has predetermined decisions to put the ball in someones hands, even if they are cold and always perseveres until it’s too late… I know he doesn’t trust the rook, but look where his veterans have got him…
    Also, I would like it if CV31 got minutes due to showcasing his (ahem) talents for an impending trade (geez i hope that GM wasn’t watching), but if not, I can’t see why he’s better than Gigi. for fucks sake Mo, we need shooting and if the raptors can run plays for open corner 3′s then why can’t you?? please put the best shooter in and give him extended minutes irrespective… sure he might go 2-10 one time, but is more likely to average >40% or even go 6-10 one night than JSmoove ever is. I’d rather Gigi took 10 3s per night than josh taking 20 shots per game or anything outside the paint.
    I haven’t even bothered to bitch about rotations either, as clearly Mo is running off a cliff… Is he blind, dumb or both???
    I also fully understand potential criticism on these views, but I think it’s just my desperation so please go easy haha
    @GPMasters, I feel your pain man. Im watching virtually every game on league pass on my laptop in Sydney. Lowlight packages it is until these guys deserve my attention!

• Jan 9, 20148:44 am
      by jerrific

I am convinced gigi is destined to leave the pistons and become a very effective spot up shooter elsewhere, solidifying the Pistons’ culture of having a good eye for talent and no ability to utilize it.

• Jan 9, 20148:46 am
        by jerrific

That should probably read “further solidifying”, since they obviously have no clue how to utilize talent.

• Jan 9, 20149:05 am
      by Vince

Because Cheeks is a crap coach. Out of all the coaching candidates out there we picked the one who has proved nothing apart from being a mediocre coach. Hope Joe D is happy, because he just screwed up harder than 2009.

• Jan 9, 20148:40 am
    by jerrific

Maybe Dumars plan all aLong was too create a hOrribly assembled, albeit talented,  frankenstein team in order to contend for the number one pick?  If so, he even messed that up.

• Jan 9, 20148:58 am
    by Vince

Weird. I haven’t seen a “Traed Munrow naow” post yet, neither have I seen a “Jash Smeth iz awsam” one.

Y’all must be sleeping or something.

Anyways. Same old weird grades, so that hasn’t changed. Singler got a D? He got a D. You’re surprised he didn’t show anything in 26 minutes? Really? His second season in the L, and you’re surprised? Are you new here? Damn son.

Pope with a C+. Now I know you’re new, because you did not just give a C+ to KCP, this dude (with the help of one Monroe, Greg) carried us in the first half, and was benched for most of the second, so I mean, yeah, he played crap, totally his fault.

“I still don’t understand why Smith couldn’t defend a shooter if his life depended on it.” I still don’t understand how people would still rather have Smith than Monroe, but I guess neither of us will ever know.
    I’m still perplexed as to Cheeks’ A+ grade, part of me knows you’re joking, but the other part thinks you might be serious when I look at the other grades.

This team f*cking blows. Dismantle it, keep KCP, Dre and Moose and just trade the rest for chipotle. I’ve given up, tank and try and get back our pick for this upcoming draft.

• Jan 9, 20149:54 am
      by Vic

JOSH Smith is AWESOME!
      If you’ve every played basketball you know how incredibly motivating it is to see someone hit multiple open 3s without your teammate guarding him.
      Makes you wanna play hard and make up for the 4 on 5 game your playing on the defensive end!

• Jan 9, 20146:05 pm
        by Vince

I do not understand what point you are trying to get across. Either its bad sarcasm or… something else.

• Jan 9, 201410:04 am
      by theother13

I’d trade Monroe now. It will better help the Pistons tank. And here is why trading him makes sense. If you believe Monroe is better than Smith, then other GM’s should too, right? Making Monroe have more value for the team in a trade, netting the Pistons a better return. Now the Pistons have gotten something for him instead of just letting him go in free agency or signing him to a huge contract that will solidify this team AS THEY ARE for a few years. After trading the Piston’s “second-best” player, tanking for a high pick should be that much easier. Now, hopefully down the road, Smith and Jennings could be unloaded as well for players that better fit around Drummond, which should have been done this past summer, but, a new GM will probably be making those decisions after this season.
      Now, I am NOT a fan of Moose. He does not fit with this team. Poor shooting, poor defense, and no hustle. Oh, and the shots he misses are layups. Not jump shots trying to spread the floor for Drummond. He was 5-12 on layups, with an occasional jumper.
      However, I also do not think Smith is the answer, but as Otis always points out, he has already been paid. His contract is harder to move and if you believe he is worse than Monroe, who would want him for that contract anyway? I’d at least like to see what he will do playing the 4 a bit with an actual shooter playing the 3.

• Jan 9, 201410:09 am
        by Karthik S

Can’t tank this year – Charlotte owns Detroit’s first rounder.  Thanks Joe D + Ben Gordon!

• Jan 9, 201410:15 am
          by Brigs

It’s top 8 protected so it would be probably be in our best interest to not only tank but to tank hard

• Jan 9, 201410:21 am
            by theother13

Don’t even have to tank too hard. They would pick 9th right now (prior to lottery). Only have to pass a couple more teams to be safe.

• Jan 9, 201410:26 am
            by Pistons

One of those teams is Cleveland, they’ll pass us without tanking. So where kind of already 8th right now.

• Jan 9, 201410:41 am
            by theother13

Knicks are also behind. They will probably move past as well

• Jan 9, 201411:16 am
            by Pistons

It really seems like today is the day that we need to make a decision whether we’re buyers or sellers. We won’t but It would be nice 3 games up or down makes us 6th seed or 3rd worst in the NBA. Its a good opportunity to say we tried for 36 games but we failed and hit the reset button. Now is also when other teams are trying to contend and I think you’d be surprised what teams would give up to contend. We have Monroe, Jennings, Smith, and Stuckey that would all help teams add that extra spark. I think this also means Charlie becomes useless if we’re sellers. What contending team wants to shed cap space? I’d release him and Chauncey and sign younger players. I know easier said than done but I’d rather test my luck with a D leaguer who just wants a chance than 2 older players who do me no good anyway.

• Jan 10, 201410:34 am
        by jamesjones_det

Let’s put down NBA2K here for a second and think about this logically…

If I’m one of the 29 other GMs in the NBA I’m low balling Dumars all day long with trade ideas, why?  Because the Pistons are in deep trouble and there is blood in the water with a new owner likely not to stick with a loser, so maybe Dumars makes an irrational move to save his job.  What incentive do most other teams in the NBA have to offer Detroit something of value at this point?

Your only hope is a team gets desperate to sell at the trade deadline and Detroit can pick something off, but so far this year that scenario doesn’t look very likely.

• Jan 9, 201410:24 am
      by Pistons

Heres a Monroe trade for our future not present. Monroe to OKC for Jeremy Lamb or Reggie Jackson with Steven Adams and a 1st round pick. Not the best return for Monroe but it would help us rebuild. For them they get a really talented center way better than Perkins. I’d also see if I could snag Perry Jones but I doubt they’d give up 3 young players for a rental and whoever we throw in to sweeten the deal probably Jerebko or Bynum. Jeremy Lamb, Steven Adams, Perry Jones and a pick would be a good return for us to rebuild. Who knows this trade might make us better just by us having to move Smith to PF.

• Jan 9, 201410:35 am
        by theother13

Not, bad. I’d like Jackson as a playmaker or Lamb as a shooter and Adams could be a good sub for Drummond.

I have a ridiculous proposal that will get lots of laughs
        Pistons get Rondo, Jeff Green, Ryan Anderson, Steve Novak and maybe draft picks
        Celtics get Monroe, Jennings, Villanueva, and Austin Rivers
        Pelicans get Josh Smith, and MarShon Brooks
        Raptors get Aminu

• Jan 9, 20144:58 pm
          by oats

Wait, the Pelicans trade away Anderson and Aminu for Smith and Brooks? Anderson is better than Smith, younger than Smith, and cheaper than Smith. Aminu is also better than Brooks. I really don’t get this trade for them.

• Jan 9, 20143:09 pm
        by Jodi aka "The Guru"

@Pistons: No
        @theother13: Hahaha, have Rondo, Green, Anderson, Novak, Brooks and a 1st rounder from the Celtics+Pelicans coming to the Pistons then lets make it happen!..

• Jan 9, 20144:55 pm
          by Parsons

Why no at least its realistic. Rondo isn’t coming here. We don’t have nearly enough to make it work and if someone else puts up the draft picks or a better talent than Monroe I’d expect they’d want Rondo. I realise my proposal doesn’t bring back Rondo or make us better today but what I’m proposing is that we sell and figure it out next year with a high draft pick. I’ve seen some of the mock drafts and theres a lot of SFs entering the league that would look great in a Pistons uniform. Add that to Smith moving back to PF where he played great and we could make a real run. Trading Monroe and a few role players to OKC for Steven Adams, Perry Jones, and either Jeremy Lamb or Reggie Jackson sheds cap space and gives us young players with a lot of talent and potential. We could probably get 1st round pick too though it wouldn’t be very high.

BTW I’m Pistons it just autocorected my name the 1st time and I didn’t catch. I’m not taking credit for someone elses idea.

• Jan 9, 20149:18 am
    by jg22

The problem here is that Dumars probably couldn’t get any real coach to come work for him this summer. So this is what we get. And because Joe is out of free passes with coach’s, we can’t even look forward to him making a coaching change in-season.

The only way out of this mess at this point is if Gores comes forward and cleans house, sending both Cheeks and Joe home. He would be wise to do it now too, so that he can give the new front office/coach a chance to make some trades still this year and maybe get us in the playoffs and back on track.

After giving Joe one more chance last summer and failing, Gores would have to be a complete idiot to allow him to make any trades at this point and do any further damage. If you are Gores and you are planning on not retaining Joe this summer, I don’t know how you let him stay here and continue to make major moves that have major effects on the future of your franchise. If they are done with Joe, then he needs to be out effective immediately.

How they brought thi guy back to be a lame duck GM, and gave him 20 mil to spend as well a hire a new coach, I have no idea. You never hear the term lame duck GM, because no other owner is stupid enough to let a GM make major moves that can ruin franchise, if they are on their way out. Sure, Joe will likely be gone this summer, but now you’ve put yourself in a situation where no legit GM is going to want to come here and take over this mess. So I don’t know what is going to become of this franchise, but its sad. They had the perfect setup last summer to fire Joe and get any GM of their choice, giving them max capspace with a young franchise Center to build around, and hire their own coach. It was all in place. And dummy Gores decided to let Joe have another go at it instead, and now they are ****ed.

• Jan 9, 20149:30 am
      by Kaneda

I remember, reading over the summer, that ultimately it was Gores decision to hire Cheeks? Do I remember correctly? Regardless, Joe D is not getting a pass, but just trying to clarify things.

• Jan 9, 201411:21 am
        by MIKEYDE248

For all we know, it could have been Phi Jackson and Gores that wanted Cheeks too.

• Jan 9, 201412:32 pm
          by Huddy

That is exactly why I didn’t like Jackson being mentioned.  He was a great coach, but has no vested interests in the pistons, their current roster, or their future.  How much could he possibly add to the coaching search?  All he did was help Gores disperse blame in case things went as they have.  Now people will question who wanted cheeks and ultimately we will never know.

• Jan 9, 201412:11 pm
        by jg22

I believe Joe and Gores were both in agreement on Cheeks. Who knows what say Phil had in it.

Regardless, if he had replaced Joe with a new GM prior to the search, Cheeks is probably never even in the picture. No other team interviewed him or had interest, so its hard to think a new GM would’ve had interest in him. If Joe keeps bringing these bum coach’s into meet Gores and interview, then Gores has no choice but to pick one of them.

If Gores were smart he would’ve given Phil total control and relieved Joe of his duties, and let Phil put his guys in place.

• Jan 9, 20149:21 am
    by Jake

re: KCP vanishing in the second half.
    KCP dominated in the first half, but was then pulled 2 minutes 46 seconds into the second half.  He was re-inserted into the game with less than 10 minutes left and the Pistons down 12.
    KCP’s vanishing had little to do with his performance and a lot to do with Cheeks’ inexplicable usage of him.

• Jan 9, 20149:38 am
      by theother13

I’m glad you brought that up about KCP being on the bench for the second half. It makes me wonder about the grade assessment. Would Chauncey get an F for his vanishing act too? AKA sitting the bench. Because KCp was great in the first half, being one of the only players playing with any heart on the team and held DeRozan to barely anything. Their best scorer. But then he must have done a knock up job of sitting the bench or something to deserve a C+. Oh, yeah, and it was while he was on the bench that DeRozan started to go off…  He shot for a relatively high percentage and defended well while on the floor. What else was expected of him? I feel like he will never get a high grade unless he keeps his man to 0 points and hits 10 3′s

• Jan 9, 20149:52 am
      by Tim Thielke

Hmmm… I probably should have cut him a bit of slack. I didn’t notice quite how much of the second half he didn’t play because it fit with his season long trend of starting strong but being useless after the break.

In first halves, he averages 4.3 pts, 1.0 reb, 0.6 asts, and 0.6 stls on 40/36/83 for +2.2
      In second halves, he averages 3.1 pts, 1.2 reb, 0.3 asts, and 0.4 stls on 38/30/65 for -2.6

The +/- can be partially attributed to the Pistons just playing terribly in second halves, but even there, his numbers are more strikingly different than most of his teammates’.

• Jan 9, 20145:11 pm
        by oats

Well, the points are likely due to shooting attempts dropping from 4.2 to 3.1. That could be on him not demanding the ball as often, but it doesn’t look to me like he ever really demands the ball so I’m thinking it’s not entirely on him. The 3 point percentage is tied to whatever the heck is going on in the 4th quarter where he shoots 22% for 3s. Considering Singler also has his 3 point shooting drop to 25% in the 4th quarter, I think it might not just be on Pope. I suspect it has something to do with the lack of movement leading to more contested looks for the shooters.

• Jan 9, 20149:56 am
      by Vic

Yeah Cheeks makes dumb decisions. They refuse to find the open man and do what works, they want to run through Smennings because they are the “stars”

• Jan 9, 20149:22 am
    by Kaneda

Unlike you @GPMasters, I still stay awake to watch the games live and I’ve got an additional 2 hours on you since I live in Greece… no League Pass for me so I have to stay awake to catch the live streams. I’ll very soon be done with that and just read post game reports and watch highlights on nba.com…

Yeah, this roster has issues… But oh man does Cheeks fucking aggravate me. Didn’t like this move in the summer, and now every time I see his face on our bench I’m just getting more and more pissed.

• Jan 9, 20149:54 am
    by Georgio

Cheeks’s handling of KCP is perplexing, he states that he does not and will not run plays for him. He wants him to concentrate on defending and running the floor, but when a guy scores 17 pts in the first half like he did in the Wizards game or 13 pts on 6-7 shooting like last night you would think the emphasis would shift to making sure this guy stays hot. Considering that outside shooting is a major weakness of this team, KCP could be our X factor if we can get him going and keep him going. When he’s hitting shots and playing with energy and then you go completely away from him in the second half, it’s assinine. 2 1/2 minutes into the 2nd half you pull KCP for Stuckey, why? If you’re trying to stop their run, why not pull Jennings, who was giving you nothing special, and let KCP and Stuckey play. That’s our best defensive backcourt anyway. Then make an effort to get KCP some shots to keep him going, you gotta go to the hot hand, rookie or not.

• Jan 9, 20149:58 am
      by Vic

“ If you’re trying to stop their run, why not pull Jennings, who was giving you nothing special, and let KCP and Stuckey play. That’s our best defensive backcourt anyway. Then make an effort to get KCP some shots to keep him going, you gotta go to the hot hand, rookie or not. ”
      Why in the world would I do that, it worked against Memphis at the beginning of the season. It makes too much sense, Jennings is my guy and I’ve got to have my point guard and Josh Smith taking shots…

• Jan 9, 201410:27 am
        by Georgio

Cheeks has said that he’s a veteran coach and I think that’s causing him to completely overlook the value of a rookie doing something other than just defend and run the floor. It’s like he doesn’t want to put too much responsibility on KCP, just keep it simple, run the floor, defend and hit the occassional shot. The problem is maybe, just maybe, KCP could handle more responsibility on the offensive end. The Pistons need perimeter scoring badly, run the Rip play, 2 chest down, a few times to get him open or do a clear out and let him take his man off the dribble or like last night post him up sometime, anything to get his confidence up and get him going.  They’re letting the opposing 2 guard off the hook because he doesn’t have to defend KCP. All five of the starters need to get involved offensively, open your eyes Cheeks.

• Jan 9, 201410:03 am
    by Vic

I’m almost starting to feel like Otis, but without the ignorance.
    I’m actually starting to enjoy the Pistons losses because it means something is going to change.
    But I’m not campaigning for the dumb and dumber changes you see all over the internet (let’s trade Monroe, KCP sucks too! Josh Smith needs a chance to blossom and shoot all the dumb shots he wants just like he did in ATL):
    I’m campaigning for a change in game strategy, a change in coach, or a change in GM.

• Jan 9, 201411:54 pm
      by Herman Neutic

@vic

“I’m actually starting to feel like Otis, but without the ignorance.”
      Vic, do you mean to say here that Otis, with all his so-called ”ignorance,” knew and knows more about basketball than you do, and that now you agree with him? Or is it that–when you wrote “without the ignorance”–you were referring to your own ignorance, which you now have overcome? As in, “I once was blind, but now I see.”

• Jan 9, 201410:27 am
    by Jacob

How could you forget to grade Gigi for his 2 minutes, 1-2 shooting and 1 turnover? C’mon PistonPowered!

• Jan 9, 201410:39 am
    by PistonFanSinceDay1

We need to win a game. All these L’s might become addictive.

• Jan 9, 201410:57 am
      by Clint in Flint

Might? The last six years show it has become addictive, lets hope it isn’t terminal.

• Jan 9, 20143:05 pm
        by Jodi aka "The Guru"

@PistonFan & @Clint: Our expectations were to make the playoffs…I don’t think any of us thought we would end the season with a winning record…Even though it might sound ugly, we could still possibly make the playoffs with a 34-48 record in the Eastern Conference…

• Jan 9, 201410:42 am
    by Dave

This team used its five day break to start the year by deciding that inserting Charlie V. into the rotation would fix what ails us. That alone should be reason to fire Cheeks.
    I’m sure KCP is going to be a nice rotation player for the next decade, but can we also look back and agree how much of a miss not taking Burke was. Not only is he putting up 14 a game and not turning it over, but Brandon Knight is putting up 15 a night and most importantly Khris Middleton is averaging 11 and 4 a game. I’d much prefer a starting backcourt of Burke and Knight (with Stuckey off the bench) and Middleton getting Singlers minutes to what we have now.
    For 3 years Joe D had great drafts because he took the best player on the board. This year once we lost on McLemore he made a panic pick to get a shooting guard and that started a chain of events that hurt us for years to come. This mishap I think is reason enough to finally give him the axe too.
    Sad.

• Jan 9, 201411:51 am
      by AYC

Yes, let’s wish for two players of middling efficiency that are getting most of their volume because they are playing for cellar-dwellars.  But I agree about Middleton.

• Jan 9, 20145:21 pm
        by oats

Burke shoots similarly to Jennings right now. His assist numbers are a bit lower, but he does a better job protecting the ball. Yet the real reason to want him is he’s a rookie with a lot of room to grow while Jennings is a 5th year player that is closing in on how good he’s going to be. Burke’s upside is just way higher than Jennings, and he’s way better than KCP right now. That’s a pretty good reason to wish he was on the team, especially since it would likely come with Middleton staying put.

• Jan 9, 20146:33 pm
          by AYC

KCP is looking REALLY nice 3 of the last 4 games.  His performance yesterday I think was a really nice step forward as he bounced back from a bad game against the Knicks, which as a rookie he will have.  During this run he has taken smart shots within the offense and is hitting them at a high percentage while contributing on the defensive end in a way Burke never will.
          To me it looks like Burke’s ceiling is Brandon Jennings who shoots free throws at 90% but doesn’t get to the line as much and turns it over slightly less while being a step slower in straightline quickness so he gets burned a little more.

• Jan 9, 201410:23 pm
            by oats

He’s already basically Jennings, so I have no idea how that’s his ceiling. His straight line speed isn’t quite as good, but Burke is already a smarter defender than him so they are pretty much even on that side of the ball right now. That’s as a rookie, and he’s showing considerable signs of improvement as the season goes on. I mean, KCP has looked really nice in 3 of his last 4 games, Burke looked really nice for the month of December.

I get that Burke is a flawed player. There is no doubt about that. He’s a low efficiency shooter right now (although his .515 true shooting percentage in the month of December would be average efficiency for a PG if he were to keep that up, which admittedly he hasn’t done in the 3 games he’s played this month). He’s a bad defender and likely always will be. He’s shown more encouraging signs of improvement as a shooter than KCP though. He’s also a solid passer who is really good at taking care of the ball. I’d peg his ceiling as closer to Ty Lawson, although his style will look a bit more Jennings. Still, Lawson is arguably a top 5 PG, so I’d say Burke’s ceiling is likely in the top 10 at his position. I guess KCP could theoretically hit the top 10 at SG considering how awful that position is, but a top 10 PG is far more valuable. That’s both because the competition is stiffer and the position holds more value to a team. This really isn’t close for me. I think Burke is a much better prospect than anyone else in this discussion, and that alone is enough that I’d rather have taken him in the draft and not done the Jennings trade.

• Jan 9, 201410:51 am
    by Clint in Flint

The only way I can watch Piston’s games is to cheer for the other team with hopes that each loss is another nail in MO and Joe’s coffins. It was only 50% effective last year when we dumped Frank. Makes me feel like a winner because it’s very easy to pick a winner when the Pistons play.

• Jan 9, 201411:01 am
    by Javell

I think this team needs to feed andre in the post! He to big not to get touches…and needs at least 3 post ups a game.. Him not getting touches get him out of the game and he may lose confidence

• Jan 9, 201411:27 am
    by Windy

Joe will probably sit on his hands for the rest of the season…Stuckey actually has value right now and AGAIN Joe will keep this dude around, I don’t care if he is playing well, it’s a contract year and he will not be apart of our future! We have seen this act before! TRADE HIM NOW!!! CV TRADE HIM he is an expiring contract, at the very least a throw in to match money on a potential deal…TRADE MONROE NOW BEFORE HE WALKS BACK LOUISIANA! Wait til the offseason and we get nothing…
    Joe has lost all his luster…no forward thinking…just settling for junk, when you settle on a coach like cheeks then you settle for the results!
    Cheeks looks very overwhelmed…too scared to make a change in the starting rotation, too dumb to run the right plays…guys it’s 40 games into the season and he still doesn’t have a clue what his rotation is hahaha plugging guys in and out, rolling 4-5 guards, sitting the best shooter, guys that play hard (harrelson) gets little reward…
    i expected some rough patches but I’m seeing no growth, actually your seeing regression in guys game…it’s getting ugly…I’m waiting for a fight or guys to just blow up on one another or the coach…
    Sell baby sell

• Jan 9, 201411:41 am
    by Mr Woods

@Pistons: that’s a great return for Monroe & that trade helps both teams. Monroe is NOT a franchise player but a decent 2nd/3rd option & perfect to play along Durant, Westbrook, & Ibaka in the post to replace Perkins.  Detroit gets some yung athletic talent that can shoot. I asked Grant Long(OKC’S broad caster and former Piston player about them) & here’s what he said:”What’s up T.Woods I think you’re right on point! I think perry will be solid and Lamb has a chance to be very good.”

• Jan 9, 201411:41 am
    by Mr Woods

@Pistons: that’s a great return for Monroe & that trade helps both teams. Monroe is NOT a franchise player but a decent 2nd/3rd option & perfect to play along Durant, Westbrook, & Ibaka in the post to replace Perkins.  Detroit gets some yung athletic talent that can shoot. I asked Grant Long(OKC’S broadcaster and former Piston player about them) & here’s what he said:”What’s up T.Woods I think you’re right on point! I think perry will be solid and Lamb has a chance to be very good.”

• Jan 9, 201412:33 pm
      by Parsons

OH! I’m sitting wondering why you called me Pistons. Parsons got auto corrected to Pistons. Oops.

• Jan 9, 20146:06 pm
      by Ozzie-Moto

THey have no interest in Monroe  TO SLOW for them

• Jan 9, 201411:49 am
    by Mr Woods

Then get a REAL coaching staff & maybe a new GM to move Smith. Time for a change. We signed Chauncey Billups to a 5yr 60mil deal when he was in his 30′s & realized he was too old for that contract, which led us to trading it for Allen Iverson expiring deal, which lead to the signing of CV31& Ben Gordon, which led to Josh Smith & us potentially losing our #1 2014 pick. The problem is@ the top of the organization.

• Jan 9, 201411:58 am
    by Mr Woods

@Dave: We were never going to take Burke, even though he thought he was going to be drafted by Joe. We were going to take Anthony Bennett.  Thank god that didn’t happen!

• Jan 9, 201412:37 pm
      by Huddy

The Pistons weren’t going to draft anyone who wasn’t available at their pick (Bennett).  Burke was available and Dave was saying he wished we would have drafted him (as do I).  Does the fact that you rightly or wrongly think Burke wasn’t on the radar at all make his opinion invalid?

• Jan 9, 201412:17 pm
    by jg22

Vince Ellis just had a chat and said he can confirm with certainty that there is no discussion of trading Monroe whatsover going on in the Pistons front office. He said they are going to be patient.

He also hinted that in this state of flux, ownership may be inclined to do nothing, because of the uncertainty of Joe’s future. In other words, if they are not bringing him back, they aren’t going to let him make any more major deals and leave them to clean up the mess.

• Jan 9, 201412:21 pm
      by jg22

So basically it sounds like they are just going to let the season play out at this point, and if it fails, Joe’s gone, and if they get it turned around who knows maybe he stays.

But its sounding like maybe ownership is taking the stance of, ‘we’ve given you enough already, and this was the team you chose. So if you can’t figure out, then that’s your problem. We aren’t allowing you to make any more moves.’

Again, just my take on what it sounds like might be going on here. No sources or anything.

• Jan 10, 20141:24 am
        by PistonFanSinceDay1

Pistons ownership letting Dumars go?

• Jan 9, 201412:30 pm
      by Pistons

That makes no sense to just sit and wait to finish 9th. Why throw away ANOTHER season. Even if we sell it doesn’t have to be a wasted season we can still do so much. We can trade for young players and draft picks. We can see what we have in Mitchell and Siva. We can shed cap space and prep ourselves for a real run with 5 starters who fit and are playing their natural positions. We can fall to 5th worst or lower and get in the running for the top pick. Sitting here with our thumbs up our noses doesn’t do anything and if thats all we’re doing we deserve to lose. I hope “no major moves and leave them to clean up the mess” means we’ll sell not buy. Selling is cleaning up the mess in my opinion.

• Jan 9, 201412:47 pm
        by jg22

I can see both sides. I’m not saying that’s what they are doing btw, or what they should do. Its just my guess based on chatting with Ellis. You can read the chat and draw your own conclusion if you want http://live.freep.com/Event/Chat_with_Pistons_writer_Vince_Ellis_14

Personally, while I want them to do something too, do you really trust Dumars to be the one making these decisions at this point?

If I’m Gores and I just gave Joe 100 million and this was the mess he came up with, I’m not sure I’m trusting him to make any further changes that could set me back even more. I might just wait until I can get someone more competent in place, and rather have them making the calls. So I can see that side of the situation.

On the other side though, if that’s truly Gores thought process, he should just replace Joe right now. Letting a GM stay around who you have no confidence in makes no sense.

• Jan 9, 20143:01 pm
      by Jodi aka "The Guru"

I thought everyone knew that we were not going to trade Monroe…Why let go a 23 year big man who’s capable of giving us a double-double every night?..I still don’t think he’s going to get a max deal this summer…Maybe right under a max deal worth about 14.37mil per year at a flat rate…

I believe we’re going to make a trade before the deadline though…We need a 2-guard more than anything…Call me crazy, but a Jennings/Knight back-court wouldn’t be that bad…Not sure if the Bucks would give Knight back to us…

• Jan 9, 20143:28 pm
        by jg22

Well there’s more to winning basketball games than just getting a double double out of 1 player every night. So if the team isn’t working I don’t think you cling to players just because they put up stats.

• Jan 10, 201412:52 am
        by Smitty

Let’s get Knight back and Eric Gordon. Perfect.

• Jan 10, 20141:20 pm
          by Jodi aka "The Guru"

@Smitty: You never know we might take a chance on him…I just read on hoopshype he’s on the trading block…Jonas+Stuckey+Charlie V for Gordon or Stuckey+Charlie V for Gordon+future 1st rounder(for insurance)…

• Jan 9, 201412:21 pm
    by Smitty

I just wonder how long this goes on? Joe D needs to decide quickly. Are we trying to make the playoffs or keep our pick? If Joe waits until Feb 20th and decides we are trying to make the playoffs it might be too late. If we started to gut this team now we could easily end up 4th worst with a good shot at a top 3 pick. Let’s do something Joe.

• Jan 9, 20141:02 pm
    by Jerrific

Best case scenario for this teams future, they continue to blow this season, end up keeping this years lottery pick and coming away with a solid young player. Gores, finally sick of giving Joe D leash to chew on, gets fed up with losing and cleans house. We get a new, more analytically focused, GM who builds around Drummond and our lottery pick, and a head coach who at least has some idea of how to run a professional basketball team. This team clearly can’t win as constructed, but it might be dysfunctional enough to help us by keeping our 1st rounder this year, and talented enough to have a quick turnaround if the right moves are made this off-season. Personally, I was never a fan of Gores’ and Dumars’ “win now at all costs” mantra. All it has done is caused us to make short sighted moves, like giving away lottery picks in order to invest in incredibly inefficient players like Jennings and Smith. If I’m Gores I don’t allow Dumars to touch this team the rest of the season and pray to God we win the Andrew Wiggins lottery.

• Jan 9, 20143:12 pm
    by Jodi aka "The Guru"

A lot of good comments today!..

• Jan 9, 20143:16 pm
    by pistons moribund

Best case, top eight draft pick and another via bullwinkle trade.  no more Joe D, no More Mo.  worst case, make the playoffs, keep everyone, including joe d and Mo.
    What is probably going to happen.  dont make the playoffs.  lose draft pick, sing bullwinkle to a huge contract and spend the money on rudy gay.  oh wait, this is even worse but at least Joe and Mo are gone so probably not the worst but pretty close.  I would say that would be officially rock bottom.
    if anyone is into trends, last time pistons were good, 2007 season.  last time team made the playoffs, 2008 season.  7 year feast or famine trend.  you do the math.

• Jan 9, 20144:53 pm
    by Windy

Phoenix is a team I would be calling ASAP…they just lost Bledsoe for the year, have a bunch of first round picks and are looking to get better for an actual playoff push…Stuckey could really help them at this point, he is having a good year, plays nice perimeter d like Bledsoe and could help stop the bleeding if only for a little bit…

• Jan 9, 20145:24 pm
    by Carlos

When do the Pistons fire Mo Cheeks and hire Lionel Hollins?

• Jan 9, 20145:48 pm
    by anacaniwelk

Sadly, Drummond’s lack of offense killed the Pistons once again.  Sure Detroit would have a few more wins if others were knocking down more shots, BUT, nothing will change for the Pistons unless Drummond develops an offense game.
    I don’t think Drummond has the talent to do that.
    How about Drummond, Monroe, Pope and Jennings for Steph Curry and Klay Thompson. Make it happen Joe.  It would be a miracle if Golden State agreed to it.

• Jan 9, 20146:02 pm
      by Ozzie-Moto

Come on .. Their team is complete and balanced they have no reason   and our team would have no front court and why trade both our center … etc etc

• Jan 9, 20146:40 pm
      by jg22

LOL wtf

• Jan 9, 20149:03 pm
    by Mr Woods

@Huddy: I know Trey Burke personally & several others in management & they were never going to draft Burke. I was told  before the draft that Knight was going to be traded & if Bennett or McClemore was gone, KCP was going to be the pick. BUT…  Burke was pissed off we didn’t draft him.

• Jan 9, 20149:57 pm
      by Jodi aka "The Guru"

I could tell you the real reason why Knight was traded…

• Jan 10, 201412:35 am
        by Smitty

He can’t play point guard for a contender? We wanted to see just how bad Brandon Jennings is?Do you think there is a reason Atlanta didn’t want Josh Smith back and the Bucks didn’t want Jennings? If you know so much please tell me.

• Jan 10, 20141:11 am
        by PistonFanSinceDay1

Jodi, tell us why? Smitty I heard the Hawks tried to re-sign Smith but he didn’t want to play for the Hawks anymore.

• Jan 10, 20141:17 am
          by Smitty

Really? Smith said this was his only option(to play sf). I don’t know but either way it isn’t working.

• Jan 10, 20141:38 am
            by PistonFanSinceDay1

It’s definitely looking pretty bad right now. Maybe some minor changes could help us out. We have two big expiring contracts that need to moved ASAP!

• Jan 10, 20141:40 am
            by PistonFanSinceDay1

JR Smith?

• Jan 9, 20149:20 pm
    by Mr Woods

@Parsons: my comments was directed at another person on here but I do have issues with this auto correct on my phone…lol.

• Jan 9, 20149:26 pm
    by Mr Woods

Im not a Greg Monroe fan @ all but no one bothered to touch on this, who’s to say Greg Monroe wants to stay in Detroit?  Do you all recall back in 1996 when The Pistons organization assumed Allan Houston was going to stay to play with Grant Hill? He went to NY & we had to go trade Theo Ratliff(young athletic big) for a poor shooter in Jerry Stackhouse to replace Houston. Some decisions needs to be made on some of these players.

• Jan 9, 201410:33 pm
      by oats

Greg Monroe’s desires are largely irrelevant though. The team can match any offer for him and he would play for the Pistons. He’ll be a Piston if Detroit wants to keep him.

• Jan 9, 201410:41 pm
        by Jodi aka "The Guru"

I wouldn’t expect Monroe to be outside of a Piston jersey in a long time…Key word Oats, long time

• Jan 9, 201411:54 pm
          by Smitty

So if you and Mr Woods know so much wtf is going on here? I could see why we don’t want to trade Monroe, or didn’t draft Burke. So let’s trade Josh Smith then. It has to happen, this team sucks. I just read on Espn insider, Josh Smith for Aaron Affalo and Glen Davis. Joe D should be trying to do that.

• Jan 10, 201410:44 am
            by jamesjones_det

Why does Orlando do that deal?

• Jan 10, 20141:16 am
      by PistonFanSinceDay1

Why wouldn’t Monroe want to stay with Pistons when he’s playing next to a beast like Drummond? Smitty that’s a bad trade for the Pistons. If we trade Smith we need a starting SF coming to the Pistons not another SG(and I’m a big Afflalo fan). Those guys on ESPN are known for making terrible deals.

• Jan 10, 20141:20 am
        by Smitty

I still think that is a good trade. Start KCP at SF then. Joe said he wanted guys that were athletic and could guard multiple positions. Espn said that Affalo would likely opt out anways. More cap space. For a new GM hopefully.

• Jan 10, 20141:33 am
          by PistonFanSinceDay1

Lol! You guys really don’t like Dumars.

• Jan 10, 20141:58 am

I don’t like loosing.

• Jan 10, 201410:47 am
          by jamesjones_det

KCP at sf???  Have we not learned from the past 3 years that players playing out of position don’t help much?

I would take the trade if you could somehow get Orlando to do it but it would be with the premiums the that Pistons still need to deal for a real SF.

• Jan 10, 201412:32 am
    by Mr Woods

@Smitty: I try not to ask anything involving the team unless the information is offered, but I will say this, after watching Josh Smith play for The Hawks, I didn’t think he would work in Detroit especially playing the three because he can’t shoot & we have needed shooters for 2yrs. I would try to get Jeff Green or Harrison Barnes.

• Jan 10, 201412:39 am
      by Smitty

I understand. I didn’t think he would work, but I was hoping. So do you think Josh was signed because he was the only big free agent that wanted to sign here, and if that didn’t work Joe planned to trade him?

• Jan 10, 201412:54 am
      by Smitty

Maybe you should ask Joe D if he has drinks with Rodman? I guess if you asked anything that might be the question to ask.

• Jan 10, 201412:38 am
    by Mr Woods

@Smitty: I didn’t like none of the moves we have made in the past 6 seasons besides drafting Drummond. I like Joe as a person but I think it’s time to clean house, starting with Joe and then Cheeks(shouldn’t have been hired in the 1st place). Chauncey want out & Drummond is frustrated.

• Jan 10, 201412:43 am
      by Smitty

Cheeks has to go. He seems to not understand how the NBA is played. How can you be leading or tied at halftime every game (recently) and then just get fucking smashed in the 2nd half. Coaching is my answer. Also I think after Memphis game (5 days off) Joe and Cheeks should have been fired.

• Jan 10, 201412:58 am
    by Lethal Leeroy

Gores knows little about Pro basketball, but is smart enough to know not to bring a bad culture by talking out of school… And that is also Joe D’s MO
    Gores has 350m invested so you’d think he won’t be stupid and act irrationally or just for the sake of it… He obviously trusts Joe, or trusts someone who either trusts and endorses Joe or knows it will be hard to find someone better…. Particularly on a budget.
    So while the mainstream press aren’t pressurising him yet, he risks alienating the general area fan base (not us diehards!) by unceremoniously axing one of its favourite sons after 30 years service… so if he wants Joe gone, then letting his contract run out and providing a gracious exit is a certainty, so let’s drop the axe JD commentary!
    From Gores view (balance sheet), things may well be manageable and im sure Joe would have presented to him an acceptable contingency around “if the Jsmoove trade and big model didnt work out”… I’d say Mo will be asked to change his game plan very quickly or we simply just play for the pick…

• Jan 10, 20141:15 am
      by Smitty

I think he is definitely letting Joe’s contract run out. Hopefully he will also let Joe make a trade to make this team playoff better or top 6 pick worse. Just sitting around doing nothing could be dangerous. Losing a first round pick, and I don’t give a shit what year or how good people do or don’t think the draft is, and not making the playoffs would be terrible. The obvious choice would be to make a choice. Sell off whatever you can, or try like a mother fucker to make the playoffs. It would be easier to tank, but if Joe D wanted to prove his worth and keep his job then doing whatever he could to be better is the only option for him. Sitting around keeping this team as is could be the worst and set us back another 4\5 years.

• Jan 10, 20146:27 am
    by freeparty

Trade:
    Monroe, Stuckey, Villanueva
    for
    NY Knicks Anthony, Shumpert

Make it happen.  Or tank and Joe D can waddle into the sunset…

• Jan 10, 20146:53 am
      by freeparty

works with the money, and the kniocks can then give up on the melo years and go after lebron.  pistons get the wings to fly.  smith playing the four will stretch the d and give drummond more space inside.  all the other trades i have seen dont include all star talent and others are just fairyland stuff.

• Jan 10, 201410:47 am
      by jamesjones_det

• Jan 10, 20149:20 am
    by Robb

I have officially jumped off the Detroit band wagon and will no longer watch the rest of the season. So much for new coaching. Until they learn defense and start feeding Drumming the ball, this team is a losing team. They have the right pieces but until they learn how to use them, they will continue to lose against worst teams than they are. Tonight will be 7 straight losses when the 76′ers beat them by 10+

• Jan 10, 20149:55 am
      by PistonFanSinceDay1

Come on, don’t be a fair weather fan