Maurice Cheeks reveals plan to marginalize Greg Monroe and/or Andre Drummond, protect Josh Smith

Do Greg Monroe and Andre Drummond work well together?

Only if they’re playing with Josh Smith, apparently.

In a video posted by David Mayo of MLive, Maurice Cheeks said, “We’ll probably have Josh Smith and any one of the bigs on the floor. It will safe to say we’ll have those guys on the floor more, as opposed to Greg and Andre.”

What does that mean? You can read my minute breakdown at ProBasketballTalk to see how I reached this conclusion:

The Pistons are becoming Josh Smith’s team.

Smith struggled at small forward, but the Pistons won’t pull him – or Monroe, a pending free agent, or Drummond, a prospective All-Star – from the starting lineup. So, they’re left trying to get Smith as many minutes as possible at power forward in other ways. And because Cheeks doesn’t believe in using Monroe and Drummond together with a tradition 1-2-3 behind them – following the misguided lead of his predecessor, Lawrence Frank – that means fewer minutes for Monroe and Drummond, two of the NBA’s top young bigs.

With the absence of a third big to clog paint, Smith-Drummond and Smith-Monroe are probably better combinations than Monroe-Drummond right now. But Monroe-Drummond could be the Pistons’ future, considering they’re five and eight years younger than Smith. And in the present, the combination trumps most of what Detroit has done this season.

But, for the time being, Monroe and Drummond will just have to fit best they can once Smith is comfortably situated.

• Jan 15, 201412:19 pm
    by Thiago

Drummond 30 at C (Total: 30)
    Monroe 18 at C, 12 at PF (Total: 30)
    Smith 36 at PF (Total: 36)
    What’s the problem with that? That’s how I envisioned the team before the season. And that means no PT for Harrelson and Villanueva, and lots for Singler, Datome and even KCP at SF.

• Jan 15, 201412:39 pm
      by Dan Feldman

As long as you’re cool with Smith getting substantially more playing time than Monroe and Drummond, that works fine.

• Jan 15, 201412:48 pm
        by Thiago

36 against 30 is substantially?
        It can be 32, 32 and 32… or 30, 33, 33, depending on matchups, foul trouble etc….
        The problem is that this is up to Cheeks…

• Jan 15, 20141:06 pm
          by Chris

The foul trouble is worth noting. There have been several games where Drummond has only gotten around 25 minutes because of foul trouble. Also there will be back-to-backs where Smith will probably need additional rest. I’m not really sure how much over 30 minutes drummond can play effectively every night either. He does get winded during his longer play stretches.

• Jan 15, 20141:15 pm

“36 against 30 is substantially?”

• Jan 16, 20142:46 am
        by MrHappyMushroom

I’m not a Smith fan and wish her weren’t here.
        But I’m for cutting Drummond’s minutes by a few.  I think the guy gets tired.  He seems much less of a presence by the fourth quarter, and he’s already played as many minutes as he did all of last year.

• Jan 16, 20144:35 pm
          by oats

His stats in the 4th quarter don’t really drop on a per minute basis, other than shot attempts and points. Now it could be that his getting tired is effecting the little things that don’t show up in the stats but not really effecting his stats, but there isn’t any real statistical evidence for him getting tired in the 4th.

• Jan 15, 201412:37 pm
    by frankie d

Wow!
    More franchise-strangling incompetence.
    The only consolation is that this outcome was entirely predictable from the time smith was signed.
    Getting harder and harder and harder to root for this franchise.

• Jan 15, 201412:44 pm
    by Huddy

I think it makes sense.  In the last three games Monroe has been able to get his typical numbers (15 and 10) in 28-30 mpg.  If he is capable of doing that consistently then I think thats fine.  If Drummond and Monroe are going down around 1-2 mpg at the end of the day thats not much different.  Its true that they are younger and might be together on the team longer, but they are both still improving.  While Drummond diversifies offensively and improves his D Monroe and work on D and his jumper.  Maybe when Smith is less valuable Monroe/Drummond will be more ready to play together.

• Jan 15, 201412:50 pm
      by Thiago

I’m curious about how the SF position is going to be like…

It’s not like there’s a common sense great player there…

• Jan 15, 201412:58 pm
        by Smitty

Well hopefully Joe can somehow address that situation before the deadline.

• Jan 15, 20141:10 pm
          by Chris

I think it’s a 3 way battle between Jerebko, Datome, and Singler. Possibly with Smith in there for certain match ups when Harrelson is at the 4/5 with either monroe or drummond. Also Jennings/KCP/stuckey or bynum lineups as well.

• Jan 15, 20141:03 pm
    by Branden

Drummond should probably not be playing 33 minutes a game anyway. He gets real bad in the effort department when he gets fatigued. He goes from elite difference maker on the floor to guy who shouldn’t be in the NBA when the fatigue hits.
     Drummond at 25-27 minutes at this point in his career is where I would have him. He gives the team 25 great minutes he is making his impact and lessening the negative effects fatigue has on his mental/physical effort.

• Jan 15, 20142:52 pm
    by ITS OFFICIAL I HATE CHEEKS

Last year… smith had 26 games with 20 or more points….and the hawks went 16-10 in those games
    Last year Greg monroe had 19 games with 20 of more poinrs…the pistons went 8-11 in those gamea
    This year smith had 10 games with 20 or more points..and the pistons are 7-3
    Greg Monroe has 6 games with 20 or more points..in those games the Pistons are 3-3
    When the pistons are winning Smith is clearly the best player…Greg Monroe stats are pretty much the same…
    So it makes sense

• Jan 15, 20145:40 pm
      by Brandon Knight

I agree .

• Jan 15, 20148:18 pm
      by oats

Those stats are kind of meaningless. The more meaningless is the stats from last year since they had such wildly differing circumstances around them on different teams. On top of that, 20 points is a pretty arbitrary way of determining if someone had a good game. Monroe’s had several good games without hitting the 20 point cut off, and Smith had a pretty bad game against Boston while putting up 20 points. So you really aren’t measuring the team’s success when either guy is playing well, just how the team has done when they happened to score at least 20 points.

Then there are other factors that you aren’t accounting for. For whatever reason the team made Smith the focal point of the team’s offense, so for Monroe to get to 20 points then the team has already moved on from option A. Is his high scoring not effecting the team’s win loss record much, or is it making up for the fact that the rest of the team is playing worse than normal? It’s really hard to determine the cause and effect.

• Jan 15, 20149:20 pm
        by ITS OFFICIAL I HATE CHEEKS

Its called a “TREND”
        example:
        In games that Pistons Win …Josh With averages 18ppg
        In the games the Pistons lose…Josh Smith averages 13ppg
        In games that the Pistons Win…Greg averages 14,9ppg
        In games the Pistons lose …Greg averages 14.6ppg…
        Greg numbers but Josh Smith impacts the game…
        its that simple

• Jan 15, 20149:48 pm
          by Trout Jefferson

Or you could understand that Monroe is the more consistent player.
          Spoilers: there’s no significant difference between LeBron James stats in wins and losses. Does that mean LeBron has no impact on the game?

• Jan 15, 201410:02 pm
            by ITS OFFICIAL I HATE CHEEKS

Lebron is the best damn playe in the WORLD… terrible example to use…
            Greg get his numbers…but he does not impact games…
            Consistent is great!…im not attacking Greg…but he has not elevated his game in any area…
            He can not carry a team…atleast not right now…and this his poor defense counters his offensive production

• Jan 15, 201411:49 pm
          by oats

@ Cheeks. I guess it’s technically a trend. That doesn’t mean it is a meaningful one, or that it suggests what you are claiming it suggests.

The first counter to your point is that Monroe is more consistent than Smith. That doesn’t mean that the team should favor Smith. What’s more, the stat about how he plays in losses would be more interesting if the team didn’t lose most of their games. He’s always option A and getting lots of shots, so maybe it’s not that he is causing the wins with his good games but is causing the losses with his bad ones. That’s the second counter, that Smith is actually the one more likely to bring down the team too.

I mean, look at those 3 losses Monroe racked up while scoring 20 points. One of them was against OKC, and Smith also scored 20 points in that one. I’m not putting that on either of them, it’s just running into a team better than Detroit. In the loss against New Orleans the team had Smith put up 11 points and 5 rebounds on 5-15 shooting. In the loss against Washington Smith had a decent stat line of 16 points, 9 rebounds and 6 assists. The problem is he was 6-19 from the field and had 4 turnovers. That’s a pretty bad game. Monroe was saddled by terrible play from Smith in 2 of his losses

In the 10 games that Smith has been good in, Monroe has also been solid in at least 7 of them. In those 3 games he took 26 shots, or 8 less than Smith took in two games against New Orleans and Washington. Smith’s never had to overcome Monroe being as aggressively harmful as Smith was in those games. Couldn’t it be that is the cause of this trend? I think the odds are decent that is the case.

• Jan 15, 20144:58 pm
    by oats

This makes no sense to me. He’s shutting down any lineup of Monroe and Drummond without Smith, lineups that actually work. He however will still play Monroe and Drummond with Smith, lineups that have been bad. So the coach just came out and said he wants to prioritize bad lineups over some good ones. Not only that, but Smith has been the worst player of the 3 this season. So he’s prioritizing an overpaid veteran over two young players that are outplaying him this year.

• Jan 15, 20145:38 pm
      by Brandon Knight

I disagree..  Greg Monroe is not outplaying Josh Smith. Smith is much more valuable on the court than Monroe.

• Jan 15, 20146:22 pm
        by oats

Yes, Monroe is. Smith is a terrible offensive player this year. He’s actively harmful to the team’s offense. He’s also been a really bad defender at the 3. I could buy an argument that Smith is a better PF than Monroe since that’s at least debatable, but his overall play this year has been much worse than what Monroe’s done. Cheeks isn’t just making it so Smith is playing the 4 more, he is also saying that Smith absolutely has to spend a decent amount of time at the 3. That’s dumb because Smith is a really bad SF.

• Jan 15, 20149:22 pm
          by ITS OFFICIAL I HATE CHEEKS

I dont think he is ruling out Greg and Drummond…I think he is doing what making sense…no matter how you look at it

• Jan 15, 201410:57 pm
            by oats

He is saying he won’t play Monroe and Drummond without Smith, despite the fact that they play better paired without Smith than with him. No, that doesn’t make sense.

• Jan 15, 20146:27 pm
      by Huddy

I understand Smith getting the most minutes of the big 3, but I don’t agree that they should continue playing them all together, especially in combination with freezing all Monroe/Drummond minutes.  It’s like he looked at 4 possibilities of combinations and picked 2 good 1 bad and excluded 1 good…seems so simple can’t imagine he doesn’t get it.

• Jan 15, 20147:25 pm
        by oats

You know what, I don’t mind Smith getting more minutes in and of itself. Monroe and Drummond are 32-33 minute a game players, and Smith’s been right around 35. I don’t have a problem with that kind of discrepancy since Smith is just in better shape than the bigger guys. It does mean that Smith has to play a bit of time at the 3, but Detroit is weak enough at the position that isn’t a huge loss. Besides, it makes it so Cheeks doesn’t have to risk ruffling any feathers by moving someone to the bench. I wouldn’t complain about the 3 big lineup getting 6-8 minutes a game just to let everyone start, and doing that allows Smith to continue getting a few more minutes than the other guys. That’s all fine by me.

My objection is that so far the change has played out by giving Smith more minutes and fewer minutes to Monroe and Drummond. I actually think it’s more likely that Smith continues with the higher minutes total since that’s the easiest way to do what Cheeks is describing. Even if Smith does go back down to his normal amount of minutes, it still doesn’t make any sense to me to cut into Monroe and Drummond’s minutes because he’s unwilling to play a lineup that has been reasonably productive. That doesn’t make any basketball sense, and I think it sends a bad message. I think it tells the team that instead of holding Smith accountable for playing poorly that the team is instead going to cut into the minutes of guys that are playing better than him in order to try to get Smith a chance to play better.

• Jan 15, 20149:30 pm
          by ITS OFFICIAL I HATE CHEEKS

i dont get the confusion… Its gonna get harder, and harder for Drummond to close games out because of FT shooting…he’ll likely get the bulk of his in the 1st,3rd and start of the 4th….
          I think some of u are so anti-Josh Smith nothing he does involving him will make you happy…
          that line up makes sense

• Jan 16, 201412:06 am
            by oats

What are you talking about? Was this even in response to what I just said? I didn’t express confusion at all. I said it doesn’t make sense to rule out Monroe/Drummond pairing that have an actual wing player but will play that group with Smith instead. Monroe/Drummond and no Smith is a good lineup. Monroe/Drummond and Smith is a bad lineup. That is clearly dumb.

I said absolutely nothing about the end of games. I don’t know what this is in response to.

I actually like Smith as a player overall, even if I think he was a strange signing. I do think he’s been bad this year, but he’s still a solid PF. Heck, I actually just argued in favor of playing Smith more minutes than Monroe or Drummond. Let me repeat the problem. The problem is that Cheeks is needlessly cutting Mornoe and Drummond’s minutes out of an unwillingness to use a lineup that has worked this year. How does me thinking that is dumb have anything to do with supposedly hating Smith?

• Jan 16, 20148:25 am
            by ITS OFFICIAL I HATE CHEEKS

shouldnt have been a reply

• Jan 15, 20145:32 pm
    by Brandon Knight

I am super fine with this. And if Cheeks can bring Monroe off the bench, it would be much better. You simply can’t play 2 center and a powerfoward together. Monroe is not a PF period. He is a center. Josh Smith is the only true PF we have, so playing him with one of the center each time makes a lot of sense. Also BTW I truly don’t see any future of the combination of Monroe and Drummond. They are both ceneters and it doesn’t work out.

• Jan 15, 20145:48 pm
      by Tim Thielke

They haven’t been world beaters together, but they’ve been pretty good together without Smith.

• Jan 15, 20149:25 pm
        by ITS OFFICIAL I HATE CHEEKS

in small sample… i remember you use preach the flaws of using small samples

• Jan 15, 201410:26 pm
          by Tim Thielke

Our sample size is now 825 minutes this season (109 without Smith) and 452 last season.

Yes, that sample size is small. The flaw of using small samples is that your conclusions are not liable to be as meaningful. However, conclusions drawn from a small pool (561 minutes of data) are still more meaningful than conclusions drawn from “Also BTW I truly don’t see any future of the combination of Monroe and Drummond” (0 minutes of data). And the only way to get the sample bigger and more meaningful is to add to it.

• Jan 15, 201410:34 pm
            by ITS OFFICIAL I HATE CHEEKS

doesn’t other advanced stats show that the Pistons are productive ……. with Smith and Drummond / Smith and Greg Combination

• Jan 16, 201412:09 am
            by Tim Thielke

Yeah, they’ve been even better with either of those combos, but Drummond/Monroe has also been effective. The only lineup that stinks is the one Cheeks insists upon continuing to trot out there to start every game.

• Jan 16, 201412:22 am
            by oats

Is Smith/Drummond or Smith/Monroe better than Monroe/Drummond? Sure is. I don’t have a problem with wanting to emphasize those pairings. Monroe/Drummond is better than Monroe with neither Smith or Drummond. Monroe/Drummond is also better than Drummond with neither Smith or Monroe. All of those options are better than Smith/Monroe/Drummond. He has decided to not use Monroe/Drummond without Smith lineups in favor of lineups featuring only one of them or all 3 of them. That’s where this decision breaks down.

• Jan 16, 20148:50 am
            by ITS OFFICIAL I HATE CHEEKS

“Tim was pointing out that in order to say Monroe and Drummond don’t work you have to ignore the fact that what data we have says they are pretty decent. So this comment isn’t actually relevant. Despite that, you are talking about something sort of interesting so I’ll respond to it.”
            1. First terms like Pretty decent, OK together,pretty good are not exciting…If you hooked me up on a blind date, and told me that she’s good looking, I’b be excited but if you said she decent….I’d be concerned….(that comment might not have been relevant)
             The comment i made is relevant for the simple fact, I was talking about our Big 3 …. I said that its been in a small sample, it related…then I said havent date shown Josh and Dre/Greg works well together? Tim answered… it related

2. STOP RIGHT THERE……just wanted to enjoy the PEACE OF USE AGREEING

• Jan 16, 20149:34 am
            by Tim Thielke

If you’re “fairly ugly”, then getting a date with a girl who looks “pretty good” might excite you a bit more.

The Pistons are “fairly ugly”. They are well below .500 ball. A lineup that plays “pretty well” is at the very least desirable and possibly exciting.

• Jan 16, 201410:41 am
            by Huddy

@Cheeks no one has a problem with emphasizing the hot girl in your example.  The issue is with continuing to go out with hideous gremlins (the Monroe/Smith/Drummond all together line up) for any amount of time.  You are correct in saying you would prefer to take hot over above average.  Wouldn’t you also take above average over abysmal?  Without completely excluding someone and over working the other two it is impossible to use the absolute best statistical group for the entire game.  For the remainder of the game Cheeks should be using the best possible 2nd and 3rd options, one of which is playing Monroe and Drummond together.

• Jan 15, 20147:08 pm
    by frankie d

In today’s nba the “C” & “PF” distinction is pretty useless.  Those guys – on good teams – are pretty much interchangible.  The only real issue is who each guy is going to be able to defend, and that will change from team to team…opponentbto opponent.   With the ’04 team, sheed and ben switched seamlessly and while it is too much to ask that of our current “bigs” contigent, that has to be the goal.
    Imho, getting stuck on labeling them as PF or C makes little sense.  They are all just bigs.

• Jan 15, 20148:08 pm
      by oats

The league does have a handful of C only guys. Someone like Robin Lopez, Roy Hibbert, Omer Asik, or Kendrick Perkins are clearly centers. For those rare players it makes sense to call them a center, but for the rest of the guys they are just big men.

Other than the fact that Drummond has the bulk to play center full time, what separates him from someone like Derrick Favors? They largely fill the same role. Utah has started experimenting with Favors at C because Kanter has been really disappointing, but no one seems to have a problem with Favors playing PF. I get that neither of Monroe or Drummond are good shooters, but there are a lot of PFs that can’t shoot. I know Monroe is bad at defending the 4, but it’s not like he’s actually good at the defending the 5. Drummond meanwhile seems like he’ll eventually be perfectly fine guarding either position, although I would like him to focus a bit more on post defense for the time being. I really don’t see either Monroe or Drummond as just centers.

• Jan 15, 201411:29 pm
        by Max

Hear, hear!   Oats is on point as usual.

• Jan 15, 201411:56 pm
        by frankie d

i agree.
        what any team should strive for is a pair of big men who compliment each other both offensively and defensively.
        sheed and ben were a great defensive pair because they could switch over to each other’s man with hardly a beat being skipped.  that defensive  harmony was one of the most important parts of that title team.
        what is frustrating is that drummond and monroe appear to have complimentary skills.  drummond can cover for many of monroe’s shortcomings on the defensive end and monroe can certainly help make drummond a very effective offensive force.
        but the only way the two will ever really get in sync is if they play together.  the more they play together the better.  that was one of the things pistons’ fans were looking forward to this season and now it appears that the team has simply given up on developing the two young big men as a pair.  it is truly difficult to believe that it is happening, and that the team is so blind that it is making the choices that it is making, but every day something happens that seems to confirm the direction the team is headed.
        when smith was signed, it seemed clear to this fan that the move was made with the intention of eventually trading monroe.  as crazy as it seems, that clearly appears to be the direction joe dumars is headed.

• Jan 16, 201412:23 am
    by Pistons moribund

News flash, bullwinkle can’t shoot.  Dre can’t shoot.  Bullwinkle is awful defensively.  Dre is looks lost a lot on defense.  Hmmmmm, two players who can’t shoot and don’t defend well.  seems like a liability.  Oh yeah, did I mention that bullwinkle can’t shoot.  How can he play any other position then center?  Someone please clarify.

• Jan 16, 20141:16 am
      by oats

The league is filled with PFs that can’t shoot. I mean, Josh Smith can’t shoot and no one thinks he’s a center. Shooting is not a requirement to play PF, so Drummond could play PF.

I’d also say that the ability to shoot is a little overrated when it comes to big men. For the most part, when people talk about big men being able to shoot they are really talking about hitting a mid range jump shot. That is the single least efficient shot in basketball, so it’s not like that is a shot that teams really want their guys taking. The purpose of the mid range shot is to open up the floor a bit to allow their teammates a chance to score around the basket. The thing is, there are more ways to get that spacing other than just shooting. Monroe can create space with his passing ability. Teams have to follow him out to try to defend against the pass. What’s more, Monroe is actually decent at putting the ball on the court and getting to the hoop from the high post. He played from the high post in college, and he could do it again to help create spacing. Drummond’s athleticism can also create space. You can’t let Drummond make runs at the basket against a defender just sitting back. He will blow by them or jump over them. No, you have to have a defender follow him around to try to cut back on his effectiveness as a cutter and on the offensive glass. That allows them to create enough space to coexist. In fact, having one big man be a good passer and the other big man being a guy who is dangerous moving without the ball makes a lot of sense as a pairing.

As for their defense, at least some of the problem is on this crazy system the Pistons use. They have their big men aggressively switching onto perimeter players, and it’s complicated by the fact that Detroit’s perimeter players aren’t good at rotating. A more conservative system could help some. Yet it should also be mentioned that Singler/Monroe/Drummond lineups actually have played acceptable defense. They aren’t what I’d consider good, but both guys are young players that seem to be improving on that side of the ball.

• Jan 16, 20148:22 am
    by alex

I loved it when coach was staggering the minutes of the big frontline. Get Singler in there a bit earlier in the first and third quarters.
    I like Josh Smith’s evolution from november to january. His FG% went from 38% to 44% and his 3pt attempts from 4.5 to 3.2. His scoring went from 13.8 to 18.8. Rebounds from 7.5 to 10.2. Also..more assists and more blocks. Let’s see if this continues, still a small sample size for january (5 games) but I like the trend.
    Jennings meanwhile is trending in a different direction (except assists).

• Jan 16, 20148:32 am
      by ITS OFFICIAL I HATE CHEEKS

Alex Good point ….
      But They’ll say it means nothing because its a SMALL SAMPLE (Although Josh has done does kind of number most of his career)
      They wanna see MORE GREG and DRUMMOND together… Although Greg remains a horrible defender, a Blackhole on offense, and he has anxiety about shooting a wide open jumper from 15 FT..

• Jan 16, 20148:45 am
        by alex

well..Monroe’s numbers are also trending in the right direction since november. more points, more rebounds, 50%FG and better (finally) FT-shooting. Same with Dre finally dominating the boards (14) and blocks (3.2). I think the minute-staggering can really work. what I want to see is to get KCP some more shots in 2nd halves. He’s the best shooter in january so far, 54% FG and 43% from 3pt-land.

• Jan 16, 20145:07 pm
        by oats

@ Cheeks. You are right, I will say it’s a small sample. The 44% from the field stat comes from only 5 games in January. There were 15 in Novermber when he shot 38%, and 17 in December when he shot 40%. 5 games is too easily influenced by random variation. It’s mildly encouraging that he’s played better for 5 games, but he has to sustain that for much longer than this for it to be meaningful. The fact that this uptick goes along with him playing the 4 more makes it slightly more likely that he keeps it up, but he still has to actually keep it up and not just have it make some sense for him to keep it up.

Even if the sample size wasn’t too small, let’s not pretend like 44% is good. It’s still bad for a guy that is spending a decent amount of time at PF. He still has a true shooting percentage of .496 in January, which is not good for any position and bad for a guy that spends time at PF. It’s a big step up from truly awful, but it still doesn’t justify him shooting so much.

@ alex. Same thing on sample size applies to Monroe, Drummond, and KCP. 5 games is just not enough to draw conclusions from.

• Jan 17, 20148:26 am
    by tahjay

Why doesn’t anyone talk about Monroe horrible jumper and poor free throw shooting????He is very predictable offensively and has trouble scoring against bigger players and athletic pf.  Not to mention his bad defense.  I mean really just sag off of him and dare him to shoot a jumper…guess what he won’t he has no confidence and often passes up open jumpers from the elbow.  14 pts and 8 boards horrible def. Free throws and jumper don’t equal 15million.  Greg Monroe is OVERRATED! !!!!!!!

• Jan 17, 20148:30 am
    by tahjay

Every single player should be up for trade on the pistons roster except Drummond.  But first DUMARS MUST GO!
    NOTHING GOOD WILL COME OF THIS TEAM UNTIL DUMARS LEAVES!

• Jan 17, 20149:07 am
    by tahjay

Get rid of Monroe…his lazy defense…poor free throw shooting and inability to hid a mid range j are a joke.  Monroe is very limited offensively.  He is a power foward like Zach Randolph…except Randolph has a jumper which creates spacing and makes him a more effective scorer