Rodney Stuckey, Bradley Beal both slated to play in tonight’s Pistons-Wizards game

Essentials

• Teams: Detroit Pistons (14-17) at Washington Wizards (12-14)
  • Date: December 28, 2013
  • Time: 7:00 p.m.
  • Television: Fox Sports Detroit Plus

What to look for

Rodney Stuckey didn’t play in the second half of the Pistons’ loss to the Magic on Friday, but Maurice Cheeks thinks the guard will play, according to Kyle Weidie of TruthAboutIt.net.

On the other side, Bradley Beal is starting, according to Vince Ellis of the Detroit Free Press.

But rather than worry about a couple hurting guard, wouldn’t you rather watch Rasheed Wallace make corner 3s forever?

Read about the Wizards

TruthAboutIt.net

• Dec 28, 20136:44 pm
    by gmehl

Oh snap here we go again. Man its hard being a piston fan.

• Dec 28, 20137:56 pm
    by gmehl

No leaders
    No idenity
    No team

• Dec 28, 20138:04 pm
    by Otis

Guys, guys. This is called the process. Apparently that means we just stay awful forever and ever do anything about it but make excuses. Trust the process.

• Dec 28, 20138:05 pm
      by Otis

OOPS typo. “NEVER” do anything about it. If we “ever” did anything about it that wouldn’t be the process now would it? lol

• Dec 28, 20138:07 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Welp….this is gonna force Joe hand….the strategy vs the pistons is just too simple….a trade need to made

• Dec 28, 20138:15 pm
      by Otis

If Joe is as stupid as, say, 60% of this team’s fans, he probably thinks they’re a perimeter player or two away from being excellent, and he’ll roll the dice that such players will be available this summer. Then rinse and repeat next year, and the year after, and the year after. According to people who see the world through Piston-colored glasses, this team is perpetually just “a few pieces away.” Even when literally 80% of the roster gets turned over.*

*True Story: According to Homer Nation this team was “a few pieces away” back when the roster only had three current Pistons (Stuckey, Bynum, Villanueva). Since then they’ve added Andre Drummond, Josh Smith, Greg Monroe, Brandon Jennings, and everyone else, and here we are still. Ah, memories.

• Dec 28, 20138:54 pm
        by I HATE FRANK

I’m frustrated because as a team we can and should be better….it could be as simple as sending Greg to the bench….and playing Datome more….Cheek is forcing the issue

• Dec 28, 20139:17 pm
          by Otis

Send Greg to the bench, then Josh to the bench when that doesn’t work out, then Drummond to the bench when that doesn’t work out… all for what? To find the best mediocre combination of these players? What’s the point? Didn’t we do that exact same bullshit game of musical chairs with Rodney, Rip and Iverson who also couldn’t play together?? It’s a hamster wheel that will get us nowhere. The answer is not on this roster. When your perimeter is this objectively awful, you need to add REAL players. What you’re describing is like shuffling a deck trying to deal yourself a full house, but there are no pairs in the deck. You need to subtract some pieces and add other pieces. No combination of these players will result in anything “good.” So what’s the point?

• Dec 28, 20138:10 pm
    by Otis

The psychotic thing about all this is that a significant number of Pistons fans watching the game actually see this happening and think, “Oh well. Just one of those nights,” and shrug it off like the problem is chemistry or not playing Gigi or something equally irrelevant. Or people who watch this team and think it’s a Jekyll and Hyde team where sometimes they’re dazzling and cohesive (just because they have a few wins against good teams that were neither dazzling nor cohesive) and other times they’re disjointed and bad. The clear reality is that they might look a little better some nights than others, but there’s no continuity, no cohesion. And this could continue on for decades without this sorry fanbase ever recognizing that there is an institutional problem that goes all the way to the top.

• Dec 28, 20138:14 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

Sounds like the real Otis…and I agree

Originally I said 25-30 games is the marker..
      Teams have figured how to play us, and our dominate players are not dominating….gonna be a lot of nights like this…
      no balance

• Dec 28, 20138:16 pm
        by Otis

LOL Yes that was the real Otis. Accept no substitutes, and thanks for being mindful that I’ve inspired a bitch copycat or two.

• Dec 28, 20138:14 pm
    by Brandon Knight

This is getting ugly! I don’t know who to blame….everyone is playing bad! Deng would solve all our problems. Please Joe Please…Trade for him!!!!

• Dec 28, 20138:17 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

Deng only fixes us assuming he is fixed…he stays hurt…. should have got Gay when we had a chance..and I could care less about what people say about Gay a player of his caliber would have made us better

• Dec 28, 20138:14 pm
    by Kamal

I’m sure it’s all Monroe’s fault again.

• Dec 28, 20138:19 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

It’s not Greg fault put he is our greatest trade leveraging piece…

• Dec 28, 20138:20 pm
      by Otis

He’s a big part of the problem, but what people like you don’t seem to understand is that one of the major reasons he’s such a hot trade topic is that Josh Smith already got paid! Monroe hasn’t! With most people who want the guy out of town, it’s not personal. (With me I admit it’s getting a little personal, but not with most people.) It just makes sense. He’s your second best center (at best), your second best power forward (at best), has not grown as a player since he was 21, and he’s scheduled to become your highest paid player. On top of all that he has tremendous value. At best you could trade Smith just to get him out of town, but you’ll be left with far less talent than trading Moose for some perimeter help. It’s not even a tough call.

• Dec 28, 20138:24 pm
        by I HATE FRANK

We agree again…I wanted it too work
        …but it’s just not clicking….

• Dec 28, 20139:28 pm
        by Kamal

The team is losing so everybody is a big part of the problem.  Monroe getting traded does not solve the problem unless you’re bringing in a new back court.  That’s why we lose most nights.  The penetration from the guards messes up the Pistons’ whole defense.  On offense, the keep the ball around the perimeter too much.  With this big line-up, we should go inside early and often.  For some reason it doesn’t happen.  I blame the coach for most of it, but the point guard is at fault as well.

You seem to blame Monroe for him not getting the ball.  He’s a post player.  You think he’s out there calling his own plays?  Seriously?  You think Cheeks told Monroe if he wants the ball, he’s got to fight for position and demand the ball?  So when Shaq was complaining about Kobe not giving him the ball, that was Shaq’a fault?  Or when Westbrook takes to many shots and doesn’t give it to Durant, it’s Durant’s fault?  I’m not saying Monroe is as good as Durant and Shaq but I’m saying that the playmaker (usually point guard) is responsible for getting the bigs the ball.  9 shots a game is unacceptable.  Monroe needs about 13-15 attempts.  His shooting percentage says that he’s going to make most of his shots.

• Dec 28, 201311:20 pm
          by Max

Gotta agree with Otis here because I do think it’s Monroe’s responsibility to demand the ball and he’s entirely to passive about doing so.  There was a segment on TNT earlier in the year when Barkley and Kenny Smith took Dwight Howard to task over the same issue.  As a point guard Kenny Smith stated that he’d only pass to players who were actively asking for the ball.  If they weren’t asking, he’d assume they didn’t want it.  Well, Monroe far too often acts like he doesn’t want the ball or does so little to act like he wants it that he is wholly unconvincing.

• Dec 28, 20138:23 pm
    by Jopl

I think they have really missed Stuckey these couple games.  He gives them those buckets they need when things get rough.  Oh and defense.  They have missed that too.

• Dec 28, 20138:58 pm
      by Otis

Hi. So, um, why even talk about Stuckey like he has anything to do with what’s happening tonight or what happened last night or against Charlotte? I mean, he’s not the difference. And he’s an unrestricted free agent this summer anyways so it’s not like you can even count on him being around. Why can’t we center our analysis of this team around our major pieces and frame the discussion around aiming this team in the right direction, not just some hand-waving about how if only this guy or that guy were playing we’d be alright? Stuckey probably won’t be on the roster next year, and the team needs to learn how to win games without him.

I know it was a long, long time ago but this team used to have a system, a STRUCTURE. So that Chauncey or Rip or whoever could miss a game and the team would step up to fill the void. Everyone picked up the slack and you didn’t need literally every player available to play every ideal little minute you’d like them to play. Pretty much every good team in the league has this. There are teams suffering from MUCH worse injuries than not having their backup shooting guard every single game, and they don’t really miss them. They have DEPTH, and a SYSTEM that takes care of those things. Sheesh.

• Dec 28, 20139:11 pm
        by Jopl

Um, hi.  I wasn’t saying that Stuckey was the answer or that we should focus the team on him.  I was just saying his 15 points and ability to score points when they need it is helpful.   Sheesh!

• Dec 28, 20139:21 pm
          by Otis

I’m not trying to be mean. You seem like a nice person. I just think it’s an exercise in futility to pick at these niggling little details like “if only Stuckey was healthy” or “play Gigi more” or “feed the Moose” as if that’s going to have any impact on the season or the future of the team. The pieces just aren’t there, and nothing internally you can point to is going to fix that. The only thing this team could do that’s actually going to mean anything is a change in personnel.

• Dec 28, 20138:26 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

It’s time to bench Pope and start Stuckey or Singlet again

• Dec 28, 20139:00 pm
      by gmehl

Yes a ‘singlet’ would probably knock down more shots than KCP atm

• Dec 28, 20139:02 pm
        by I HATE FRANK

It’s disappointing

• Dec 28, 20139:12 pm
      by Otis

I don’t fully agree with you here, because I don’t think any of that is the answer (Stuckey because it never looked like a good idea to put him on the floor with our Big Dumb Three, and Singler because I still dislike the idea of playing more and more guys out of position just because the roster sucks) but it’s also clear that KCP is a liability. Very obviously the ideal solution is a trade or two that send Stuckey and Monroe away and bring in two starting caliber wing players. Truly believe it’s a waste of time to bother with internal tweaking when that’s only going to drag out the process of finally figuring out the solution is not on the roster, but if you’re looking to slightly improve this train wreck from hell, starting Singler over KCP would probably be an incremental improvement.

• Dec 28, 20139:00 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

A guys like Jeff Green would make us better….we just need the threat of a guy that can score 15-20ppg from perimeter offense

• Dec 28, 20139:00 pm
    by mshansky

Why would anyone spend any money to see these slugs. To me, there is a vast difference between a team playing their asses off but lacking the right pieces, leadership, identity, etc, and one that plods its way through games against teams they should at least be competitive with. They are a double drag…..

• Dec 28, 20139:03 pm
    by gmehl

Well I’m off guys. I’m going to go watch my 2004 championship DVD again. It helps me sleep well at night…. and I’m out!

• Dec 28, 20139:13 pm
      by Otis

I just bought that DVD for a quarter at a thrift store!

• Dec 28, 20139:11 pm
    by Brandon Knight

Omg I can’t take it anymore…Charlie V. tho lmaooo

• Dec 28, 20139:13 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Prime time to play Datome……wasted

• Dec 28, 20139:15 pm
    by Brandon Knight

Why don’t we trade for Waiters! Waiters and Bynum for Greg Monroe.

• Dec 28, 20139:22 pm
    by jacob

Could of had Trey Burke. Get Joe d outta here.