Josh Smith benched for second half of Pistons’ ugly loss to Washington Wizards

Detroit Pistons 82 Final
Recap | Box Score
106 Washington Wizards
Greg Monroe, PF 24 MIN | 6-9 FG | 2-2 FT | 7 REB | 2 AST | 1 STL | 0 BLK | 0 TO | 14 PTS | -26
Josh Smith, SF 18 MIN | 2-7 FG | 0-0 FT | 4 REB | 1 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 1 TO | 4 PTS | -18 pp f minus
Andre Drummond, C 29 MIN | 2-5 FG | 0-0 FT | 7 REB | 1 AST | 1 STL | 2 BLK | 3 TO | 4 PTS | -27
Brandon Jennings, PG 32 MIN | 4-13 FG | 3-4 FT | 4 REB | 6 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 7 TO | 13 PTS | -22
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, SG 16 MIN | 1-4 FG | 0-1 FT | 0 REB | 0 AST | 1 STL | 0 BLK | 1 TO | 2 PTS | -6
Josh Harrellson, PF 23 MIN | 4-6 FG | 1-1 FT | 3 REB | 1 AST | 1 STL | 1 BLK | 0 TO | 10 PTS | -1
Jonas Jerebko, PF 15 MIN | 3-4 FG | 1-2 FT | 5 REB | 1 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 1 TO | 8 PTS | +2
Charlie Villanueva, PF 13 MIN | 0-5 FG | 3-4 FT | 4 REB | 0 AST | 1 STL | 1 BLK | 4 TO | 3 PTS | +2
Luigi Datome, SF 7 MIN | 1-2 FG | 0-0 FT | 0 REB | 0 AST | 1 STL | 0 BLK | 0 TO | 2 PTS | -2
Kyle Singler, SF 21 MIN | 4-7 FG | 0-0 FT | 1 REB | 0 AST | 1 STL | 1 BLK | 2 TO | 9 PTS | -18
Will Bynum, PG 27 MIN | 3-10 FG | 3-3 FT | 3 REB | 5 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 2 TO | 10 PTS | -3
Chauncey Billups, SG 8 MIN | 1-3 FG | 0-0 FT | 0 REB | 1 AST | 1 STL | 0 BLK | 1 TO | 3 PTS | -2
Rodney Stuckey, SG 6 MIN | 0-2 FG | 0-0 FT | 0 REB | 2 AST | 1 STL | 0 BLK | 0 TO | 0 PTS | +1
Maurice Cheeks

• Dec 28, 20139:38 pm
    by Brandon Knight

I love it!

• Dec 28, 20139:39 pm
      by Brandon Knight

The F- Tho lmaooo

• Dec 29, 20132:18 pm
        by Sop

The sad part is that since the break nobody but Jennings looks like they want to play basketball. None of these guys are F players but they are showing no desire and no hustle and that’s why Cheeks has been playing Harrellson so much. Josh Smith must be an absolute idiot…what the hell is wrong with a dude who doesn’t understand that he can’t hit a jumper even after failing a million times. Contested jumper bricks lead to runouts you IDIOT!

• Dec 28, 20139:44 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

That’s about right ….

• Dec 28, 20139:47 pm
    by jprime18

The first time I’ve turned off a Pistons game in 11 years. We’ve had bad teams, but seeing a team with this talent put out efforts like this back to back? Get it together, Detroit

• Dec 28, 20139:48 pm
    by Dave

I’d have given Charlie V and F- too. What a complete waste of space. Can we send him down to the D-league? There are strangely a lot of Pistons fans here in the DC area. What a disappointing showing for those folks.

• Dec 28, 20139:48 pm
    by seenable

Anyone else turn to the Mad Ants D-League game on YouTube (live) at about halftime?

• Dec 28, 20139:49 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Damn we’ve lost 2 straight to teams we should be winning…no we got blown out twice to teams we should beat…tired of losing to inferior teams

• Dec 28, 201310:18 pm
      by Otis

Why should we beat these teams? They SMOKED us. You’d think at some point it’s worth considering that perhaps these teams are actually better than us. Why is being a homer so ingrained in sports fans’ brains? I’ll never understand it. These are teams we NEED to beat (largely because of how crippled our flexibility is) but that doesn’t mean we “should” beat them. These were two very convincing thumpings, and it wasn’t long ago that the Bobcats (who we REALLY need to beat, since next year they own their pick AND ours) thumped us with a 41 point fourth quarter. This is a bad team, my friend. At this point I would only be comfortable saying the Milwaukee Bucks and the Milwaukee Bucks alone are distinctly worse than we are. And even they might prove me wrong next time arounf.

• Dec 28, 201311:33 pm
        by Max

The Pistons suck but that doesn’t mean other team’s don’t suck worse.  The Pistons road record is better than than Magic’s home record and they have a better record overall.  Again, the Pistons do suck but the fans do have a right to feel disappointed by a loss to a team like the Magic although they are fooling themselves if they think the Pistons don’t suck or are nearly guaranteed to beat anyone.

• Dec 29, 20139:49 am
        by hirobeats

Are you really saying that the Detroit Basketball Pistons are the 2nd worst team in the National Basketball Association?

• Dec 28, 201310:05 pm
    by Otis

Guys, this is all part of the process. The championship Heat got blown out over and over by bad teams too. It happened. You just don’t remember it. Trust the process.

• Dec 28, 201310:15 pm
    by V.

On DBB they’d all get dick minuses. Can’t wait to see Cheeks and KL spin this

• Dec 28, 201310:19 pm
      by Otis

That can’t be right. On DBB Monroe gets an A+ every night and a max contract extension come hell or high water.

• Dec 28, 201310:25 pm
        by V.

I use my eyeballs. It’s not as bad with Smith and one would think, and while I’m high on moose, he has a ways to go, especially in learning how to play the 4.

• Dec 29, 20132:31 am
          by Otis

And I would never give him a huge contract at this point in the hopes he develops into a good 4 man. Especially not when I can trade him for legitimate value. Maybe you’re not going to get exactly equal value, but you can definitely get a 2 or 3 who will instantly be our best wing starter and not cost us a cap crippling $60 million over the next four years. And especially not when he’s sliding the VERY expensive Smith out of position. I don’t care how much you like the guy, you can’t possibly think committing to this formula makes any sense.

• Dec 29, 20136:27 pm
            by CityofKlompton

^ THIS!!

• Dec 29, 20139:31 pm
            by Max

Resigning Monroe is not committing to him but merely committing to not letting him walk away without getting anything in return.   You might not care about getting equal value but I would contend that getting at least close to equal value may represent the Pistons last chance at adding another star to play with Drummond during his era.  Therefore, I think it is imperative that the Pistons acquire a young player with a better chance than not of becoming a star and I don’t see why Monroe needs to be traded now if such a deal is not currently available.

• Dec 29, 201310:48 am
        by donald

Where i can found grades at dbb? thank you.

• Dec 28, 201310:31 pm
    by jacob

Detroit shitons. Boooo

• Dec 28, 201310:49 pm
    by Brigs

Well if this stretch of losses doesn’t get joe d off his ass and looking for trades then I’m expecting a lot more of this

• Dec 29, 20132:34 am
      by Otis

I got fifteen bucks on “more of this.” This is almost literally how each of the last four seasons played out, we were in a playoff race but clearly deeply flawed and going nowhere, and Joe stood pat each year except for the inconsequential lateral move of Tayshaun for Calderon. Plus this year his job is actually at stake, so I predict no moves and a slow death march towards being the Wizards of ten years ago.

• Dec 28, 201311:01 pm
    by grizz3741

… it will take more than a few trades to fix this mess … new GM .. new HC …

• Dec 28, 201311:02 pm
    by grizz3741

yeah … I really liked the grading too …and no explanations needed … perfect analysis .. . :)

• Dec 28, 201311:08 pm
    by Max

I’m at the point that I would like to see Monroe traded.  The problem is that I would only like to see him traded for Thompson, Beal, Batum, Leonard, Afflalo, Parsons, Hayward or a top five pick in this upcoming draft.  I haven’t heard any other scenario that wouldn’t be a disgraceful return for Monroe and it makes me sick that anyone even suggests Deng.
    If the team can’t get back one of the seven names or the pick I mentioned, and I don’t think they can, I’m in favor of hunkering down to weather the storm of how bad the team is until one of these seven names becomes available or other YOUNG players PROVE they belong on the list and they become available.
    Otis relentlessly says the team can’t improve significantly internally but that’s just not true if Drummond can come anywhere near his ceiling and the important thing for the franchise is not so much how good they are now but how good they will be in 2-5 years when and if Drummond achieves superstardom.  I just don’t want the future of the team thrown away by prematurely unloading their best trade asset for marginal players or short term gains.
    One issue I have with Otis’ stance is that he thinks it is so much easier to trade Monroe now than it will be during the off season or after he’s resigned with the Pistons.   For one thing, it doesn’t seem like any of the players who match up with Monroe’s youth and trade value while fitting the Pistons’ needs are available.  For another, this NBA season is a total anomaly with lots of teams not looking to improve but rather seeking to get worse through trade and with draft picks worth the highest and most unreasonable premium of all time.   As soon as this is over things revert to normal and almost every team will be looking to improve and lots of teams, even the worst ones, will be entirely more willing to include draft picks in a deal.  This off season, or next year, there will be more than just seven names I’d be happy to see the Pistons land for Monroe because the player could actually come with a high draft pick.  It just seems to me that the current atmosphere, both in terms of team’s intentions and the situations of the players the Pistons actually need, couldn’t be a worse time to try and trade a major asset.

• Dec 29, 201312:26 am
      by Drew

What about Dragic, Klay Thompson, Evan Turner?

• Dec 29, 20133:56 am
        by Jordan

Klay and Dragic yes. Turner no.

• Dec 29, 20135:40 am
        by Max

Thompson was the first name on my list.  Dragic is a point guard who can play shooting guard but it’s far from ideal.  I don’t want and combo guard and I don’t want a tweener.  I only want a wing or a pure shooting guard or small forward.   If Dragic was a great defender I’d say yes though.   As for Turner, absolutely not.

• Dec 28, 201311:41 pm
    by Parsons

This was embarrassing to watch. Even our announcers sounded disgusted with such pathetic showing. I ended up turning it on the Red Wings after I had to see John Wall go coast to coast while our team watched. I’d fine all of them $50. If your going to stand and watch your going to buy a ticket. Spectators always have to pay to get into games. Apparently we think if you stare at him he’ll miss. I don’t know how to fix this but a Shooting Guard who actually shoots the ball and a SF who isn’t named Josh Smith would help. A coach not from the bargain bin and a GM with a plan who has at least some clue what he’s doing would be nice. Unfortunately none of this is plausible in the short term so how about some effort? Go out there and play like you worked your ass off your whole life to get here. That would be the best short term fix. Personally Smith wouldn’t play the first half of our next game and KCP can keep Charlie V company until he shows anything at all besides good defense half the time.

• Dec 29, 201312:18 am
    by frankie d

• Dec 29, 201312:52 am
      by Brandon Knight

“a certified coach killer in smith, a guy who has been a problem his entire career, clashing with coaches about various stuff.”
      Umm coach killer?? Do you have an idea of what you are talking about sir? Tell me Mr. genius what did Smith do to get benched? What did he say wrong in response to being benched?
      Don’t tell me because he played bad! NO! The whole team played awful! There is no reason for coach Cheeks to bench him? Especially when starting the third quarter!
      And I read what he said, he did not say anything wrong! All he said is that he loves basketball and he likes to play!
      Article over at mlive quotes smith and cheeks confirming that smith is pissed thst cheeks benched him.It is crazy that fans want to trade a solid team guy like monroe in order to keep a certified coach killer in smith, a guy who has been a problem his entire career, clashing with coaches about various stuff.They need to dump smith and cut their losses asap.  Admit that signing him was a mistake, get whatever they can in return and kiss his nonshooting a@@ goodbye.
      You sound like a kid, please stop!

• Dec 29, 20131:01 am
        by frankie d

Ask mike woodson what he thinks about smith.  I am sure he would have some choice words on josh the player.

• Dec 29, 20132:38 am
        by Otis

Thank you for this. “You sound like a kid, please stop!” This is how i feel every time I read something frankie says.

• Dec 29, 20139:39 am
        by Georgio

He got benched because he was floating around the 3pt line all game. I was watching the game and was looking for Smith in the post and there he was in the corner, then he would come up to the top of the key and call for the ball. He had I think 3 post ups, one resulting in an Andre putback, another he was fouled and the other one he scored on. I’m sure Cheeks was furious that he wouldn’t stay in the post, Ariza could not guard him. If you ignore the game plan you should be benched.

• Dec 29, 20131:25 am
      by Jon

i think most people on here would prefer to trade smith, but that would be much harder than trading monroe. smith has four years on his deal. not many people want to trade for four years of josh smith. there’s a reason he signed here and its cause we offered more than anyone in the league. not many teams have changed their plans from 6 months ago except for maybe the suns since they are unexpectedly winning a whole lot right now. if the suns would take smith off our hands for nothing, i would take it in a heartbeat

• Dec 29, 20135:48 am
        by Max

Hardly any of the teams were in any position to sign him and it was the free agent summer when a lot of teams were looking to bottom out.   I just don’t agree with the line of thinking at all that suggests the Pistons are the only team willing to tale Smith and his contract.

• Dec 29, 20138:44 am
          by frankie d

Smith said that himself.  It is not conjecture.  He acknowledged detroit was his only option.  Go look at his introductory press conference.

• Dec 29, 20139:23 am
            by Huddy

He acknowledges that Detroit was his only option as of midnight the first day of free agency when Dumars approached him.  He has no idea what could have presented itself because Dumars locked him up so early in the process.  If no one else had a chance of being interested his contract would be lower and Joe would have got a good nights sleep and just called him in the morning.

• Dec 29, 201312:51 pm
            by frankie d

He waited a week or so til he signed.  There was plenty of time for an interested team to step up.  It did not happen.  He said so himself.  He has even admitted that his own team – the hawks – never even offered a contract.
            Joe d f–ked up and ended up bidding against himself.
            Do you have any info to the contrary?
            On one side is the reality of smith’s signing and his own statement.
            What evidence is contrary?  What evidence supports the idea that he had other options?

• Dec 29, 20133:30 pm
            by Max

You missed my entire point.  Smith said he had no options but it wasn’t like 30 teams had the option of signing him.  Only a handful of teams were under the cap and of those teams a couple intended to tank this season.   You can find it significant if you want that the Pistons were the only option among say 5 teams that offered Smith a contract but it doesn’t say anything about the other 25 teams who had no ability to offer him a contract but might like trading for the contract he has.

• Dec 29, 20133:43 pm
            by Jon

If a team really wanted him for his current price, why would they wait until he’s been signed so that they have to trade for him.  Also, teams may have wanted him at his current price back at the start of the season but with the way he’s been playing so far this year, I doubt those teams would still want to pay for his contract

• Dec 29, 20135:16 pm
            by frankie d

any team could have done a sign and trade, if they could work out the terms with atlanta and smith.
            while i do agree that the market for him is not strong, there is always a market for talent in the nba.  and he has not destroyed his image so much so that teams wont take a chance on him.  milwaukee was all set to trade for him at the deadline last year and the deal fell through at the very last minute.  it looked like a go.
            smith is a known commodity.  there is some gm out there who will take a shot at him, bad contract and all.
            i just do not think joe d is in the market to trade him.  dumb play and all, he is a joe d kind of player: long, athletic, capable of making plays that overcome his mental mistakes.   i’ve always thought that monroe was going to be trade bait #1.  monroe is the antithesis of the kind of player joe d likes and usually goes after.  but for the fact that he fell into his lap, i doubt joe would have pursued him and drafted him. i don’t think joe has ever really valued him all that much.  and i definitely don’t think he is looking forward to having to give him a max extension.
            we will see…

• Dec 29, 20139:26 pm
            by Max

This is just not true.  Saying any team could have worked a sign and trade with Atlanta assumes every team had 15 million worth of contracts that Atlanta preferred to having the cap space they used this summer to resign Jeff Teague and sign Paul Millsap.   And it also assumes that every team in the league has great communication with all of the other teams in the league and there is never a wasted opportunity to make trades because everyone knows what everyone else is willing to discuss–it might be mere speculation on my part but I don’t think this dynamic exists and it seems readily apparent to me that some teams often make trades with certain teams while never making trades with certain other teams.

• Dec 29, 20132:40 am
      by Ryan

I’d love to move Josh Smith in pretty much any deal we can get at this point. I didn’t like the signing and he’s been worse than expected. I wonder if we could flip him to Golden State for David Lee and maybe a pick or something. Lee has his issues but he’s not an ass on top of the on court stuff.

• Dec 29, 201310:36 am
        by Parsons

Atlanta knew Smith was leaving but had to let him walk for nothing. I would assume that means we won’t be able to trade him either. He didn’t seem to draw much interest in free agency either. I’m not saying it would be impossible but it doesn’t seem like he’s drawing any interest elsewhere. Maybe Dumars should have taken the hint and passed on him instead of having 2 of the least efficient players in the league on the same team in Jennings and Smith.

• Dec 29, 20137:41 pm
        by Otis

Ryan, he’s been 100% as bad as anybody with any sense would have predicted knowing that he’s primarily playing Small Forward, his weaker position. Monroe has also wildly underperformed if you were naive enough to think he was going to slide all that nice production he gave you at Center to the Power Forward position. Position matters, and neither of these guys are ever going to maximize their abilities while playing out of position. You could put Josh Smith on a trash barge and set fire to it and it’s not going to fix the problem that Monroe is not a four and doesn’t look like he’ll ever be a four. Trading Monroe will allow Smith to play most of his minutes at the three, and he’ll give you the production he was giving Atlanta. Everyone is doomed to fail in this system where everyone plays out of position.

• Dec 29, 201312:29 am
    by Drew

Even if you are a Pistons fan, you have to admit that this is the most overrated Pistons team.  They may have beaten the Pacers and the Heat, but they are weak.

It is not just Smith, I sincerely believe that all these players are bringing this team down.   Mo Cheeks too.

The Pistons tried to throw money and get agents and it is not working.  It is time to play money ball and start making gutsy moves.

• Dec 29, 201312:39 am
    by frankie d

O…cheeks is not a good coach.  But smith has been playing the same boneheaded way for over 9 years.  His presence drastically hurts a team’s collective BB IQ and the biggest problem is that he is aggressively dumb.  Over the long haul, his dumb play ends up outweighing all the amazing stuff he does over the course of a season.
    Too bad, but hopefully joe d has an epiphany and at least gets rid of one of his problems as soon as he can.

• Dec 29, 20131:46 am
      by PistonFanSinceDay1

You may be overeating.

• Dec 29, 20132:01 pm
        by frankie d

“You may be overeating.”
        you’re right.  and my girlfriend has been saying the same thing.  gotta cut down on those second helpings of pasta.

• Dec 29, 20137:22 pm
          by PistonFanSinceDay1

You know what I meant Frankie.Overreacting

• Dec 29, 20139:37 pm
            by frankie d

I know!  I was joking!  But coincidentally i have gained a few pounds lately and my girl has been on my case about over eating.  Thought you might have been talking to her.

• Dec 29, 20133:31 am
      by T Casey

lmao at “aggressively dumb.”

• Dec 29, 20138:11 am
      by Vic

This is true… But folks would rather get rid of Monroe, who was 6/9… 14 points on 9 shots.
      Heres a nice tidbit from mlive:
      “ Since he became a starter, the Pistons are 9-3 when he scores seven points or more, and 4-11 when he scores six or less. ”
      Getting KCP involved early could help out… Or playing Singler in his place. It’s obvious they need a shooter in the starting lineup, or a sf in the starting lineup.

• Dec 29, 201312:40 am
    by Jodi aka "The Guru"

Damn man!!. Another bad lost for these Pistons…We need a starting caliber 2-guard ASAP…Come on Dumars, work your magic in the front-office without trading Monroe, Smith, Jennings, and Drummond…

• Dec 29, 20131:42 am
      by PistonFanSinceDay1

Aaron Affalo would be a good pick up. I remember you stated a couple of weeks ago that Pope is sixth man material. I’m starting to agree with you.

• Dec 29, 20132:44 am
      by Otis

1) Literally nobody thinks you’re a guru. You can’t assign yourself a nickname. You look completely ridiculous.

2) “We need a starting caliber 2-guard ASAP… without trading Monroe, Smith, Jennings, and Drummond…” This might literally be Joe’s actual frame of mind, and if that’s the case we’re going to be sitting on this bullshit team for the rest of your natural life. This attitude is the problem. This fear of getting “fleeced” for trading Monroe is the problem, and it’s clouding lots of people’s judgment when they should be afraid of investing too much money in players who can’t coexist when there are dozens of sensible trades that will bring in players who complement each other. It should be very scary to realize you are thinking exactly like Joe Dumars?

• Dec 29, 20134:14 am
        by gmehl

I guess some people should just stick to commenting at pistons.com

• Dec 29, 20136:17 am
        by Max

Dozens of sensible trades?  No fear of getting fleeced?   These are your problems and you’ve even disputed that you are ever talking about getting pennies on the dollar regarding trading Monroe.
        So I can then assume that by sensible trade the Pistons do not get fleeced.
        So, somehow, there are dozens of players who are available in return for Monroe that have anywhere near his long term value?   Dozens?  There is just no way that this is true.   Take the top sixty players in  the league and eliminate all of the untouchable players, all of the players over 27, all of the big men and all of the point guards and you need to get one of the remaining players back in a deal for Monroe.  It can’t be dozens.  I’d personally limit the field to seven players and even if I expanded it past any notion of top sixty and included tweeners like Green and Barnes, a combo like Dragic and a rookie like McLemore,  I still don’t think there would be much more than a dozen acceptable names and most of them are not available.
        Even if you go with the argument that getting some mediocre player or prospect plus a pick could one day equal Monroe, the problem is that no one is giving up a draft pick before the deadline if they are doing badly enough to have a good chance at a top three pick.   Given that condition, it is extremely unlikely that a mediocre  player or prospect plus a pick in the middle or late in the draft will equal Monroe’s trade value and a golden opportunity will be lost to possibly reach contender status.

• Dec 29, 20139:31 am
          by Huddy

The earlier you trade away a more talented player for a draft pick the longer you make the other team better and decrease the value of the pick yoU acquire.

• Dec 29, 20132:08 pm
            by frankie d

most times that is true.  however sometimes you get lucky.
            detroit traded a way a similarly troublesome, though talented player in otis thorpe.  years and years later, by sheer luck, they were poised to choose between carmello and dwayne wade and chris bosh…and, oh yea…a guy named darko.
            that draft choice, though it was about 5 or 6 years old, was extraordinarily valuable.  if joe d had made the right choice, he could have set his franchise up for the next decade.  instead, the mess that has unfolded occurred and, imho, can be directly tied to that botched draft.
            darko turned into stuckey, who led to AI which led to BG and CV which led to…
            well, you know the history.
            if joe could flip smith for a player and or a future number one from a shaky franchise, like…say…the nets, that would be a great trade.  right now, addition by subtraction would be a great thing.

• Dec 29, 20139:20 pm
            by Max

As you said though, the value of a future draft pick depends upon great luck.   Many have said Monroe should be traded now so the Pistons can better control their return.  Well, trade for a future draft pick (not a pick this year) and you are just trusting blindly that fate will bring you great luck.

• Dec 29, 201312:57 am
    by Mythx

Let me get this straight…Smith is having trouble getting along with Cheeks? I am no Cheeks fan as a coach but there is no bigger milktoast  in the league than him.  A cardboard Pat Riley is more intense.
    This team is beyond a mess. 3/5ths of their starting unit is a waste. Smith is still grossly inefficient. KCP was a mistake from the start ironically highlighted again by Afflalo last night. He is not anything more than bench filler.  And Jennings numbers are basically an illusion. He has been better than I thought he would be but that is hardly a ringing endorsement. And the two players that everyone hoped would be leading  are being stuck as 3rd and 4th wheels on this team and not only not growing anymore. But are crippled by the mess of the other 3/5ths who can barely find the bottom of the basket.
    They will have a couple of runs here and there. And make the playoffs simply because Our Lady of the Poor and In-firmed could in the east. But if more than 1/2 this team is still here next year this team is sunk for a very long time

• Dec 29, 20131:03 am
    by Mythx

Any chance we can trade Smith for Bynum then simply use his non guaranteed salary for savings. God I wish Cleveland were that dumb.

• Dec 29, 20132:48 am
      by Otis

Do you have ANY idea how thin that would leave us in terms of talent? Smith can be a good player in the right system. Nobody is succeeding in this system, it just happens to play to all his weaknesses and his weaknesses are very obvious. This team minus Smith would have no future. There is not enough talent here. This team with Monroe being moved for a 2 or 3 and Smith replacing Monroe at least could work. This team is in big trouble.

• Dec 29, 20133:05 am
        by Jon

We could be in fine shape by moving Smith for nothing. That would put us back where we were last year.  The next step though would be to break down the roster except for Drummond. Trade Monroe and Jennings for maybe Rondo or even better, 1st round pick(s). Fire Joe and hire one of the Presti’s people. Running the offense through Drummond for the rest of the year should get his development back on track and simultaneously result in keeping the pick this year. Making smart, cheap, short FA acquisitions in the summer to surround Drummond and whoever was drafted with the top 8 pick would at least lay a plan to return to contention which is more than exists now.

• Dec 29, 20134:42 am
          by far north

Fire Joe and this franchise turns into the Raptors or the Kings. Mark my words, as bad as things seems now, it’s likely that if this happens we lose Drummond down the road. What does Detroit really have going for it to retain top-level talent? Fans underestimate the relationship Dumars has with players like Drummond. Why are we so confident that Gores can put in place another management team that will miraculously put together a better team in just a few years?

• Dec 29, 20133:29 pm
            by Jon

The new CBA allows us to give more money to Drummond than anyone else, so that’s one reason. All Gores would need to do is get someone from either Daryl Morey’s or Presti’s group, and they would be able to turn the assets on the Pistons into a team in two or three years. Look how fast Orlando and Philly are putting together teams and they started with far less talent than Detroit has now

• Dec 29, 20137:51 pm
            by Otis

I could give a very long response, but hopefully this will do: Joe Dumars is the problem. His foolish pride (never ONCE accepting that it’s just not our year and being a seller at the deadline), his stubbornness, his staunch refusal to fix the things that have been going wrong (mostly because he’s directly responsible for all of them), and this sense of denial. There’s always a scapegoat. Curry, Iverson, Rip, Kuester, Gordon, Frank, Jennings, Smith. But Joe’s the one who brought every one of them here and put them in a position to FAIL. And he continues to do it.

It shouldn’t take YEARS to fix the team. Just a few gutsy moves that Joe probably would rather not make, because he doesn’t have any guts left anymore. Trade Monroe and Stuckey and you’ll be in so much better shape by July that it’s insane. There’s nothing that can be done to get back the pick Joe blew to dump Gordon, so you’re already set back from where you should be. But Jennings, Smith, Drummond, some added wing talent from the aforementioned trades, and you have a starting point. Stick with Joe’s plan and there is no future. Just a bunch of size we can’t even take advantage of and the worst perimeter in the league. I see no sense whatsoever in continuing Joe’s employment. It’s psychotic.

• Dec 29, 20139:06 pm
            by Max

Right, just dump Monroe for Wesley Johnson or Jodie Meeks or maybe both.  Of course the team will be better this year but it will lead to the team having very little opportunity to ever add a star player again during the Drummond era.   Don’t think long term because the important thing is for the team to be more competitive right now.  Who cares about ever contending again?  No, let’s get players like Johnson and Meeks because such a deal can be done right away even though such a deal would cripple the team’s potential.
            Until I hear that Dumars turned down a trade for Thompson, Parsons, Beal, Batum, Heyward, Leonard or Afflalo I’m going to continue to assume Dumars would make such a trade if available and give him credit for not making any short sighted panic deals because they wouldn’t include any assets that could actually contribute or move the needle regarding a possible title.
            And btw: signing Smith and Jennings were gutsy moves that aren’t working out so well so far but if you don’t think those were gutsy moves then my assumption is that you want even gutsier movies.   How exactly would you define a gusty move other than as one that won’t obviously and apparently work?  Point being, you want Dumars to dump his assets for players and situations that don’t have a great chance of working?   Doesn’t make any sense to me.

• Dec 29, 20137:59 am
    by Ryank

Jonas shot 3-4, 1-1 from 3 point range, 5 rebounds in 15 minutes, and showed some hustle when the rest didn’t.  He doesn’t deserve a standing ovation for doing his job, but he doesn’t deserve an F.

• Dec 29, 20138:16 am
      by Vic

True… If his shot stays on, he could be even better than Smith or Singler as a starting SF. He’s a bête defender on the wing than both.

• Dec 29, 20138:24 am
    by sebastian

I’m curious. What will be the reaction by the players, coaches, administrative personnel, and fans if (or when) the Wizards defeat OUR Pistons, tomorrow night, in a 1/4 filled Palace?

• Dec 29, 20137:54 pm
      by Otis

A better question would be: What will the narrative be if the Pistons win? The homers are going to come out and declare that the team has turned a corner, gotten over that hump, proven that we “figured out” the Wizards and the previous loss (not to mention the godawful run that led up to it) was just a fluke. A roadbump. There’s no depths this team can sink to that will change the narrative from Homer Nation. Every win is a triumph and a sign of great things to come, and every loss is a stumble that can be boiled down to one convenient insignificant detail or another, like we didn’t give KCP enough touches or some such bullshit. This team could have another 29 win season, and those people will point to all 53 losses as minor stumbles for an otherwise championship pedigree team.

• Dec 29, 20139:59 am
    by hirobeats

Otis is the new Tarsier, overly angry comment assassin. I think we should all give Otis a hug, or introduce him to a role model #orsomething. =D

• Dec 29, 20132:34 pm
      by frankie d

if i’m not mistaken, that “overly angry comment assassin”, tarsier, is the esteemed tim thielke, who now posts for this blog.
      i may be mistaken, and if i am, apologies are warranted – if they are warranted – but i do think i am correct on that conclusion.

• Dec 30, 201312:45 am
        by Tim Thielke

Indeed I am. And I argued plenty with Otis when I was commenting as tarsier. So I don’t really think we’re all that similar.

• Dec 30, 201311:11 am
          by I HATE FRANK

You were Tarsier? Damn never had a clue we use to go back and forth for days…Good times…

• Dec 30, 20139:09 pm
          by hirobeats

Well in that case, looks like tarsier got that hug and look what happened. =D

• Dec 29, 20133:55 pm
      by PistonFanSinceDay1

Yeah, that guy Otis needs to chill. It’s pretty funny when you see someone trying to be a tough guy online.

• Dec 29, 20137:56 pm
        by Otis

Tough guy? I just understand basketball and deliver harsh truths.. It’s other people who talk tough to me.

• Dec 29, 20139:57 pm
          by PistonFanSinceDay1

You understand basketball? Make me a believer, because your comments towards other posters seem pretty mean and square. Give me 3 trade scenarios involving Monroe that would bring us a quality starter. I’ll accept 2 scenarios if you’re having difficulties.

For the record I’m all for keeping Monroe on our team.

• Dec 29, 20137:57 pm
      by Otis

I’m just not content being a loser, unlike the vast majority of this fanbase who trusts the process and chalks up five terrible years of basketball to a series of scapegoats rather than the man at the top.

• Dec 29, 20139:16 pm
        by Max

Actually some of us don’t play the scapegoat or the blame game.
        I remember once thinking that Danny Ainge was the worst GM in basketball until the summer he acquired Garnett and Ray Allen which led to their title.   Put yourself in the place of a fan of the Celtics at the time of that trade and ask yourself whether it matters more that he had done a terrible job up until that point or that he actually finally put the pieces all together.
        You don’t fire a GM as a punishment or something for their years of mistakes but rather because you actually have confidence that whoever you replace the person with will be superior.  It’s like if you were blaming Jennings for everything wrong with this season until present.   Now you can release him and play your backups or sign a player sitting on the sidelines with no contract or you can roll with a player who you know has talent and might put it all together one day or you can keep him until you have a superior replacement.   The last two options make sense and the first two options don’t.

• Dec 30, 20139:17 pm
        by hirobeats

Not content huh, so.. I mean what are you gonna do about it… angst at us some more in the comments section? Until you apply for Joe D’s job maybe #takeitdownanotch lol

• Dec 29, 201312:50 pm
    by mshansky

All the variables discussed above certainly influence the team’s ability to win games.However, my highest annoyance is with the lack of effort. While I cannot explain how the majority of players on a team do not even try hard from the opening tip to the end of the game, I certainly would never plunk down one penny to see these stiffs play in person. Last night, I turned the game off after one quarter, since it was painfully obvious they were not even going to try to win. even andre drummond looked like he has no cojones underneath. If gores thinks the palace willl be filled watching the drek that he has put out there, he is mistaken.  we need players that at least TRY to win. the last 2 games would never have resulted in blowouts if the players gave a rip…

• Dec 29, 20131:54 pm
    by Angry little man

If you bench Smith you should bench Monroe as well. Monroe’s lazy defense and soft play are a joke. I’d get rid of the clown.

• Dec 29, 20132:35 pm
    by freeparty

Monroe is over rated.  All I see from him is easy lay ins anout 4 a game and maybe a tip in.  The team cant run the offense thru him like an All Star caliber 4.  He is always crying foul or no foul, which shows his lack of maturity and professionalism.  And he is terrible on defense one on one and worse for the team defense.  He is the cog in the gears.  Trade monroe for a veteran two that can shoot and lead the team on defense.  Enough already of the pseudo competitive mix of youth and serial bench warmers.  Maybe more than 1,200 people would show up to a game.

Serious question, though, because I only can see the games on tv.  Are my eyes decieving me or is the 200 and 300 level bowls closed off?  No way they ever give away all 5,000 of their bobbleheads!

• Dec 29, 20134:53 pm
    by jake

joe PLEASE trade monroe and move smith closer to the basket at his natural PF position…PLEASE!!!! I CAN’T TAKE THIS ANYMORE

• Dec 29, 20137:45 pm
    by pistons moribund

Someone get me off this roller coaster!  The east is so bad, this team will make the playoffs.  Besides, we shall see who shows up for the game tomorrow.  Predictions anyone?  Disinterest and travel probably plays a part in playing games around the holidays, especially against inferior opponents.  The team is not as good or as bad as the herd thinks.  Just a bunch of millionaires playing games, does it really matter?

• Dec 30, 20137:00 am
    by Derek AKA Redeemed

I wish there was a lower score than F for the team.  That Wizards game was AWFUL!!  I was so angry looking at that half butt effort.