Flo-Riding: Pistons travel to Orlando

Essentials

• Teams: Detroit Pistons (14-16) at Orlando Magic (8-20)
  • Date: December 27, 2013
  • Time: 7:00 p.m.
  • Television: FSD

What to look for

The Detroit Pistons finally bounced back. Well, they kind of did.

The Pistons had lost consecutive games to the Charlotte Bobcats and Houston Rockets entering their last game against the Cleveland Cavaliers. The Bobcats and Rockets victimized Detroit on the interior thanks to sensational efforts by Al Jefferson and Dwight Howard.

Cleveland had the potential to give them the same type of scare because of Andrew Bynum, but instead, Detroit put the pressure on the big man and blew out the Cavs. The contest against Cleveland was the first leg in what is a three-game eastern road trip.

The second game occurs tonight against the Orlando Magic. Jacque Vaughn’s squad has lost three straight games and might finish the season with the worst record in the league.

The team still has some bright spots though. One of them is Arron Afflalo. He is currently having the second-best shooting season of his career despite the fact he’s increased his field-goal attempts on average in every single season.

Afflalo is a solid 2-guard and one can only wonder how many suitors are currently lined up for his services. Detroit will be wise to send some attention his way to ensure he does not get opportunities to put points on the board.

One way to slow him down is by attacking both he and his teammates on the perimeter. Indeed, Orlando has given up some fairly big scoring nights to perimeter players this season and as a result, the Pistons might be able to complement their interior scoring with efficient point production from the wings.

Between their size and athleticism, Detroit should be able to exit Orlando with a victory tonight. Just remember that there is a reason we actually play the games.

Read about the Magic

• Dec 27, 20138:09 pm
    by Jopl

So Oladipo is playing great and we keep KCP, our best perimeter defender on thr bench pretty much all 2nd quarter…really confusing rotations so far

• Dec 27, 20138:21 pm
      by gmehl

If you were watching the game live you’d seen KCP getting smoked by Afflalo on every play he was in there. i don’t know why everyone seems to think that KCP is some kind of defensive stud. He’s adequate at best and by being adequate he needs to offset that by knocking down his shots which he hasn’t been doing.

• Dec 27, 20139:04 pm
        by Otis

KCP is a bit player until he emerges as something special. One problem with this fanbase is that they have their heads in the clouds when it comes to “potential versus reality.” Even when the potential simply isn’t there (such as with our Big Three). This fanbase just loves counting its chickens and pretending like insignificant guys like Gigi and Chauncey and KCP are “the missing ingredient” but the recipe is all wrong from the start. How many games like this will it take for these people to figure it out?? I’m guessing they literally never do because of this bullshit Detroit sports loser’s mentality that’s pervaded this city. It’s pathetic. And people like me are castigated for calling it like it is. SMH

• Dec 27, 20138:41 pm
    by jacob

This team is crap!

• Dec 28, 20131:02 am
      by Jodi aka "The Guru"

This team isn’t crap, we just have a couple of holes to fill…We need a starting caliber 2 and a good back-up 3…

• Dec 27, 20138:45 pm
    by gmehl

One word ‘ASHAMED’

• Dec 27, 20138:54 pm
    by jacob

This proves Otis right. We will make the playoffs but who cares. Now that horford is out for ATL, the only difference between the east and a bucket of shit, is the bucket.

• Dec 27, 20139:00 pm
      by Otis

I appreciate the nod, Jacob. I don’t know why everyone thinks I’m Mister Negative. I’m not biased against the team, I just call it like I see it, and I know basketball. It’s like one of the three things I know. I want this team to succeed as much as anyone who’s ever tuned into a Pistons game. I just refuse to see the team through rose colored glasses. This complacent attitude is getting us nowhere. I know what I’m talking about, I promise.

• Dec 27, 20139:15 pm
        by Rodman4Life

You’re a punk Otis. Your negativity is tiresome, and the “loser’s mentality” you always try to pin on Detroit is actually what you’re steeped in yourself.  You’re like the bully that shows up at the playground AFTER the fight to spit on the loser down in the dirt. Grow up! The only thing more disheartening than getting throttled by Orlando is seeing your nauseating bombardment of team morale on the forum.

• Dec 27, 20139:17 pm
          by Otis

I’m guessing almost nobody agrees with you. I have this team figured out, have for a while, and the complacency of punks like you who probably actually buy tickets/merchandise/etc. from this franchise are the problem. Dennis Rodman would be ashamed of you.

• Dec 27, 20139:20 pm
          by Otis

Instead of being a sad, whiny baby and taking your anger out on me, point the finger at the people who destroyed your favorite franchise and the people who are standing in the way of forward movement, not good hearted people like me who have identified the problem and the solution. Take a deep breath and a good, long look in the mirror. Those guys you just watched get BLOWN THE FUCK OUT by the dregs of the NBA, they’re the problem. Not me.

• Dec 27, 20139:22 pm
            by Rodman4Life

. . . . . punk.

• Dec 27, 20139:40 pm
            by gmehl

I don’t always condone the way Otis expresses his views here but by doing the same back to him doesn’t get you anywhere. I agree with a lot of his views and share his frustration like I’m sure most of us do. Otis’ main concern is that we are more than likely going to give Monroe a max deal and in turn have many more frustrating/nauseating games like the one we all just witnessed. If we hand Monroe max money and he under performs we could end up being stuck with him kinda like how we were stuck with Rip when Joe foolishly decided to re-up him after when we traded for AI and already had Stuckey. I remember how deeply frustrating it was when we were stuck with Rips shitty deal and have everyone call to trade him after every game. Would it be as hard to trade Monroe as it would Rip? Probably not but the ball is in our court ATM and I think it might be time for Joe to take advantage of it before we are stuck again. Also by memory we gave Afflao away for nothing because we already had Stuckey, Hamilton and AI because of a loaded back court so if we did the same with say Mitchell only to see him blossom elsewhere I think I’d die.

• Dec 27, 201310:09 pm
            by Max

RIP was old and declining and Monroe is still yet to hit his prime.  No comparison there.
            The biggest problems I have with Otis’ premise is that:
            1) Monroe will still be relatively easy to trade even if he signs a max deal and
            2) The Pistons’ current needs actually make it difficult to find a good trade for him right now because there are probably about five players in the whole league who approximate Monroe’s value and meet the Pistons needs and all of those players are unfortunately for the Pistons playing in pretty perfect situations on teams that probably have no interest in trading them and seem to love them.   Otis recently stated that he is not in any way suggesting the Pistons should trade Monroe for pennies on the dollar but he doesn’t seem to get how few options there are and how none of them are probably really even currently options.
            If I had my druthers I would wait until things open up (one of the players in question suddenly has competition at his position on a team featuring a surplus of wings) because I don’t personally see a viable trade right now.  I don’t feel waiting will hurt Monroe’s value or make it harder to trade him because it’s actually extremely hard to move him right now–it literally can’t get harder to trade him if he doesn’t get injured or suddenly forget how to score inside or rebound.   As many have said, the Pistons probably won’t contend again until Drummond has hit his prime so the Pistons have a couple of years to think long term and there is no pressing need to trade Monroe until the perfect deal manifests itself if the Pistons are going to get the greatest return possible.

• Dec 27, 201310:28 pm
            by gmehl

Max I wasn’t using the comparison for talent or age but rather as a comparison of how shitty it was when Rip was pretty much impossible to get rid of. I don’t think Monroe on a max deal will be as easy to trade as you think. Yeah he might be trade able but what will we get back then? Rudy Gay? Screw that I say we trade him while we’re in control.

• Dec 28, 201312:08 am
            by Otis

@gmehl: Dude, I may be direct and have strong views that go directly against the direction this team has been floundering in, but what this guy did bears no resemblance to the way I conduct myself. I don’t just launch into unfounded personal attacks because people disagree or if I don’t like someone’s opinion. Rodman’s little tantrum was in no way “turning my conduct back on me.” It was an unprovoked attack because he didn’t have his saucer of milk or whatever.

• Dec 28, 201312:25 am
            by Otis

Also, you’re SPOT ON about timing when it comes to Monroe. Sure you’ll probably get somebody to take a chance on the guy even when he’s making $15 mil a year, but what are you going to get in return? The Rip comparison is apt, because he and Gordon couldn’t play together. They were both attached to FAT contracts that maaaaaybe wouldn’t have been SO bad if they were on different teams, but on the same team it was a mess. No chance to establish value for either one, so we ate both contracts HARD. It won’t ever get THAT bad with our Big Three, but once you’re dumping Monroe just to be rid of him and open up things for the other guys, it’ll basically be a talent dump if he’s underachieving and the team is underachieving. It’s just not worth the risk. Trade now while you have ALL the leverage. Should have done it this summer before this Big Three was exposed as a poor fit. He’s already got less value than he had three months ago. Why go on? It’s not worth risking the chance that these guys never figure it out. There is not enough talent here to squander assets. It’s madness.

• Dec 28, 201312:31 am
            by gmehl

Otis over the years I have learned to accept you for who you are here at pistonpowered and if I had to label you anything then I’d use the word over passionate which there is nothing wrong with. Most people around here get annoyed with the fact that you think your way/opinion on what happens with the pistons is the only way. Sometimes you’ll end with a wise crack comment like the one above and that riles people up even further but me personally that stuff doesn’t really bother me. I think most of us here think that your a really cluey baskball fan/analyst and I know of the years you have turned a few of my opinions in your direction. I think it’s good that you go against the grain more often than not as there is far too many commenters around here that are willing to accept the company spiel that could eventually lead to another 5 years of shit basketball after we make 1 token playoff appearance.

• Dec 28, 20131:00 am
            by Otis

You’re definitely one of my favorite people here. Just wanted to stand up for myself a little, because my passion comes from a real place and I might beat the drum too hard and too often, but I’m not one of these guys who goes at people with personal attacks. Once in a while I’ll call a group of people turkeys or something mildly dismissive, but Rodman’s unwarranted personal attack was in no way a “retaliation” or whatever I felt like you implied. It was an unprovoked attack on probably the best friend this franchise has right now. I don’t care if it makes me unpopular. This fanbase needs more voices like mine.

• Dec 28, 20134:56 am
            by Max

But who is Monroe being traded for right now that’s better than Rudy Gay?
            My point basically comes down to that I only think Monroe is worth moving for Batum, Leonard, Thompson, Parsons, Beal and Hayward and that’s the complete list.   Now, for whatever reason in space and time, all of those players have a perfect role right now and all of their teams are in love with them.   So, I’m in favor of of waiting for one of their situations to change or for more possible players to get added to the equation.  What is the lack of patience about?

• Dec 27, 20139:23 pm
    by gmehl

So our big 3 combined for 21 points tonight… way to go. The only guy that was showing any heart when we were within striking distance was Singler. I guess one good thing that comes from games like these is it exposes/shows that our big 3 formula doesn’t work. The reality here is we got smoked plain and simple. Ball is in your court Joe… do us all a favour and round the team out with better fitting parts or gather some draft picks. Trading Monroe for either will not cost this team a playoff appearance.

• Dec 28, 201312:29 am
      by Otis

The problem with your assertion that this game exposes the Big 3 formula as a failure is that to plenty of the people watching, that’s not how they see it. They reference successful teams, chalk it up to “growing pains,” Rome wasn’t built in a day, and so on. There’s always an excuse for why this game or that game didn’t go our way with homers, and God knows this town is lousy with homers. So yes to people who are paying attention, this is like the umpteenth game this season that demonstrated what a bad formula we have here, but that’s not how our homer neighbors are going to see it.

I was just texting with a buddy of mine (who actually bought League Pass for this shit) and he said: “I’m not too worried. It was just one of those nights.” But “one of those nights” happen ALL THE TIME, and they’re occasionally offset by maybe three or four quality wins the whole season! But homers see three quality wins and imagine that’s the real team. Those 53 losses were just bumps along the road. It’s insanity, but that’s what I’ve been dealing with…

• Dec 28, 201312:35 am
        by gmehl

On a side note I’ve noticed that our big 3 usually struggles when the opposition has a tweener forward. Tonight it was Big Baby who killed slow foot Monroe from mid range.

• Dec 28, 20131:17 am
          by Otis

I mean, realistically most teams have a PF who can shoot the ball. (As opposed to two starting centers who can’t) I mean, how often has Greg won the PF battle? Very rarely. Smith loses the SF battle at roughly the same clip. I think Moose is probably an above average center, and Smith at least an average PF, but when you slide them up a position you just have underachieving individuals who amplify each other’s underachievements.

• Dec 27, 20139:23 pm
    by Hook Shot

Otis
    i don’t think you are Mr. Negative. I think more people see exactly what you see it’s just that people have different opinions on how to solve it.
    Tonight’s game shows the glaring weaknesses we all have scoped out ie the lack of good perimeter players. Affallo is also playing to show Detroit what they are missing. He helps to give Orlando good perimeter defense and spaces the floor with shooting in rythm and smart passing.
    Dumars is going to have to roll the dice and get something for Monroe while he still can.
    My 3 cents.

• Dec 27, 20139:59 pm
      by gmehl

We are not just missing perimeter shooting but also perimeter defenders which is pretty much what Afflalo is. I also don’t see Otis as being negative but rather just worried that Dumars cannot do the job that he is supposed to do. Some might argue that that job is to (a) make the playoffs and some might argue that it should be to (b) win championships. Dumars more than likely has to achieve (a) before he can get to (b). I think if Joe has go through this route (a then b) then maybe it might be time for him to resign and get a fresh start elsewhere. I am by no means saying Joe isn’t a talented GM (be gentle Otis or Laser if you’re still alive) but rather just think that he cannot do his job properly if he has to achieve a playoff berth by adding players for short term gain. I would really love to sit down with Joe and get his opinion on what he would love to do without the pressure of having to make the playoffs. At the end of the day though Joe is the one who has trapped himself in this corner so Otis has every right as you or I to call him out.

• Dec 27, 201310:03 pm
        by gmehl

correction that was meant to say *if he had to add ill fitting albeit talented players for short term gain*

• Dec 28, 201312:16 am
        by Otis

For one thing, I think you’ve certainly identified one of the core problems here, specifically that by definition you need to cross point A before you get to B. However, and maybe you were hinting at this in a way, by no means is point A an indicator that you’re anywhere near point B. For instance, Milwaukee made the playoffs last year and what do they have to show for it? t did nothing for them. Not one single thing. If we bust our asses to make the playoffs this year, we’re not necessarily any better off than Milwaukee in terms of a PATH to point B (a championship). In fact, considering point A as a goal in and of itself can work directly against you in terms of reaching point B. Point A (making the playoffs) should just be a natural stepping stone along a well constructed long-term plan to compete for a championship. Making it an explicit goal for the season is wrong headed in the first place, and plugging along in what’s essentially shaping up to be a truly pathetic season, it looks like we’re nowhere near an actual path towards true competitiveness. Hope that was gentle enough for you.

• Dec 28, 201312:37 am
          by gmehl

Unfortunately it matters to Tom Gores wallet :-(

• Dec 27, 20139:38 pm
    by jacob

I love the pistons, but this team is mediocre at best. We need some changes. For every good win we have 4 bad losses.

• Dec 27, 201310:08 pm
    by Mr Woods

I said this back in June & I was cursed out by all of my friends, Detroit should send Greg Monroe & Stuckey to OKC for Jeremy Lamb, Perry Jones III, & their # 12 pick in the draft plus their 2014 draft pick then sign Paul Mishap from Utah. I wonder how that would look now.You could have taken Trey Burke with our own pick or gave up OKC pick to Charlotte so we can keep our pick this yr.

• Dec 27, 201310:43 pm
    by gmehl

I guess things could be worse And we could all be Knicks fans. Click on link to see an example of there bad GM spending and what they could have.

• Dec 28, 201312:19 am
      by Otis

I’m honestly not sure it could be much worse. At least New York has the hope that the GM could perpetually break the bank and get deep into tax penalties given the market and the value of the team. Look at Brooklyn. They’re awful, pay more in luxury tax alone than ANY other team pays in total, but their owner doesn’t seem to care about a few hundred million dollars. In this market with this owner and this GM, I don’t think anyone should envy us. Not even the NY teams.

• Dec 27, 201311:04 pm
    by Hook Shot

Gemehl
    please review my statement. Detroit lacks good perimeter players. I did not limit this to either shooters or defenders. The statement is all encompassing when taken in context. No matter how you slice it we are limited.

• Dec 27, 201311:25 pm
    by ZekeKhaseli

“At this point, we need every win we can get,” Jennings said. “We can’t keep letting games like this slip. Doesn’t matter who we play. I come to play every night.”

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20131227/SPORTS0102/312270096#ixzz2ojrkThNb

He’s sayin to his friend: bring it

• Dec 28, 201312:19 am
      by Otis

LOL this game didn’t “slip.” The Stones were BLOWN THE F OUT.

• Dec 28, 201312:21 am
    by Ozzie-Moto

Team is showing a lack of maturity with it competitive emotions / or lack there of …  Young players get easily caught up in the feeling of the moment.  They don’t have the discipline to ramp up for the easier teams or home games. They keep thinking those will fall into place and keep getting beat by the  teams that they should be able to beat yet often play well against the leagues best.  AND no they won’t will much if they can’t get Smiths to be taking (and Making) makable shoots. And yes letting Affoalo was one of the WORST (in a series of moves) the JD has made. Exactly the player we needed, (And needed the year after he was basically let go for NOTHING. What do we need in a 2 guard.. 3 pointers and defense …. Made me ill at the time,  The article about how we have given away players only to see them blossom with other teams hit it on the head   Once again we don’t have a BALANCE roster ,,, we go from a team that is all small ball and guards to a team that is all bigs that can’t shoot ………….With all the good that possible we year after year get the same old out of balance teams …..  JD seems incapable or to stubborn to get it.

• Dec 28, 201312:44 am
    by Jodi aka "The Guru"

We lose a lot of weird games…The Magic suck and we allowed them to beat us by almost 20 points…smh

• Dec 28, 20131:20 am
      by Otis

And yet you refuse to acknowledge that there is something fundamentally wrong with this team that desperately needs to get fixed. Not that there is a single soul here who takes you seriously.

• Dec 28, 20131:08 am
    by Desolation Row

Trade Monroe ASAP

• Dec 28, 20131:19 am
      by Otis

Whoa whoa whoa. How are you going to replace his 6 points, 6 boards and ZERO defense? Players like Greg are a precious commodity. Better to pay him 60 million dollars this summer and trust the process.