Beware of the Bobcats?

Essentials

• Teams: Charlotte Bobcats at Detroit Pistons
  • Date: December 20, 2013
  • Time: 7:30 p.m.
  • Television: FSD

What to look for

The Detroit Pistons recently won back-to-back road games against the Indiana Pacers and Boston Celtics. With these two victories, Detroit is once again flirting with a .500 record.

The Pistons are currently seeded fifth in the Eastern Conference and seem to be picking up some steam. By no means can we say they have turned the corner just yet, but they certainly appear as though they understand their own identity.

Tonight, they take on a team that is trailing them in the standings. Much like the Pistons, the Charlotte Bobcats have playoff aspirations that are currently being humored mostly because the east is atrocious.

The Bobcats are a difficult team to figure out because they are oddly constructed. Indeed, a look at the roster reveals a series of names that one practically expects to participate in the D-League All-Star Game.

To be fair, there are somewhat talented guys on the team, but none of them have the potential to become All-Stars.

Instead, we are treated to a series of players that shined brightly in college, but that were not quite cut out to enjoy similar success in the professional ranks. Ben Gordon and Al Jefferson are probably the lone exceptions.

The former Piston had some remarkable postseason showings with the Chicago Bulls and then seemingly disappeared off the face of the earth (admit it, you had no idea he was still in the league).

Jefferson has been productive in the Association and enjoyed some individual success during his career. Noticed I said individual success.  The rest of the team evokes memories of the NCAA tournament and not much else.

Seriously, read these names out loud and try recalling the last time they were truly relevant:

• Kemba Walker
  • Jeff Adrien
  • Brendan Haywood
  • Chris Doulgas-Roberts
  • Gerald Henderson
  • Josh McRoberts
  • Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

This is not a knock on the players but rather a look into the architecture of the team. The roster is incredibly flawed and coincidentally, the team has been bad for a long period of time.

Still, it’s worth noting that they are in the thick of things in the conference because their defense has kept them there. Their record might not be great, but there is still something to be said about the fact that they have accumulated more wins than the Cleveland Cavaliers, New York Knicks, Brooklyn Nets and Chicago Bulls.

Make no mistake, Charlotte might lack talent, but they play with great intensity and show up to games with confidence. In other words, the Pistons better still take them seriously.

Read about the Bobcats

Queen City Hoops.

• Dec 20, 20137:18 pm
    by gmehl

I really hope we show better hustle on the defensive end early in this game. It seems this season we’ve let scrubby players go off against us. As mention in the write up above they have a rag tag bunch of scrubs so if we’re not careful we’ll have someone like Henderson going 8-10 from the 3pt line or Haywood putting up a 15pt/20reb game or even McRoberts putting in a career game. By memory guys like Jordan Hill (LAL) Jason Smith (NO) Taj Gibson (CHI) have done this to us. The common thing with those players is they’ve likely been Monroe’s matchup which he’s lost badly. Monroe needs to start winning these match ups on the defensive side of the ball against these scrubs he goes up against or at worst contain them to level where it’s a tie.

• Dec 20, 20137:21 pm
      by gmehl

Oh and I’d like to make it clear that I don’t consider Gibson a scrub and i love the way he plays. I just don’t consider him an all star.

• Dec 20, 20138:37 pm
    by danny

Think you fail to understand they do have quality players on their team.  Big al is a threat down low and would love to see how drummond guards him.

• Dec 20, 20138:44 pm
    by gmehl

Firstly full props to Harrelson for taking his opportunity and ceasing the moment.

Secondly how funny was it seeing CV on the bench jump up clapping Harrelson and then he sort of has a look on his face like ‘fcuk he’s taken my job that I’m paid to do’.

Finally i reckon the Heat must be kicking themselves that they let Harrelson go and then signed Oden for a 1000 times more and has barely suited up. Harrelson would be perfect on the Heat right now.

• Dec 21, 20131:50 am
      by oats

Do you really think Harrelson is a good defensive assignment on Hibbert? I’m skeptical. As far as I can tell they only thing the want Oden to do is play defense on Hibbert in the playoffs for maybe 15 minutes a game, and nothing else matters. I have no idea if he will get healthy or how he’ll look when he is healthy, but I get why they would think he’d be better for that one very specific job than Harrelson.

• Dec 20, 20139:37 pm

Billups looked old and played awful….thank God for Jennings

• Dec 20, 20139:40 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Another blown 4th qrt…. I don’t get playing Billups that much he looked terrible

• Dec 20, 20139:41 pm
    by CMAC

Good grief…. if pistons lose (which with 3.5 mins left to go, we’re down by  4) it is entirely on Chauncey (and coach for leaving him in the game)…. Complete failure at running the offense, and turned the ball over 3 times in 4 mins.
    quit with the nostalgia act and play bynum at the point.

• Dec 20, 20139:47 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Oh well we are a jackle and Hyde team…

• Dec 20, 20139:48 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

We benched pope too long

• Dec 20, 20139:50 pm

Wow!

• Dec 20, 20139:53 pm
    by domnick

bynum and billups are the reason that we lost!
    WTF! too many drives by bynum but he got blocked! he played bad defense over there!

• Dec 20, 20139:54 pm
    by gmehl

If none of you guys above could see that Jefferson totally abused Monroe in the last quarter then I must’ve been watching a different game. Yeah Billups was terrible but I put a lot of the blame on Monroe’s pussy-like defence. Cheeks was once again way to slow to act.

• Dec 20, 20139:58 pm
      by zdwtr

Dre frustrates Jefferson thats for sure

• Dec 20, 201310:08 pm
      by Jacob

I can’t believe the people that are for keeping Monroe. He is a whining pussy. Bottom line. He cannot defend any position.

• Dec 20, 201310:11 pm
      by T Casey

I didn’t watch the game, but that sounds about par for the course with Monroe. I don’t get why people still think he’s a center. He seems to get manhandled by almost every quality center he faces.

• Dec 20, 20139:55 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Now that was the worst loss of the season….for the simple fact we haven’t learned from our past mistakes of not putting teams away…Billups needs an F- he gave the Bobcats all the momentum

• Dec 20, 20139:57 pm
    by zdwtr

This forum made a lot more sense than dbb. some people in there are still making a case about Josh Smith and BJ

• Dec 20, 20139:58 pm
    by Rodman4Life

Wtf happened? I left after the 3rd to take a shower, I come back and we are smoked! This crap has got to end, this is not professional basketball!

• Dec 20, 201310:07 pm
      by Jacob

I’m so sick of watching crap. Lions suck. Pistons suck and with all that talent the Tigers still can’t win a World Series. WTF Detroit.

• Dec 20, 201310:25 pm
      by grizz3741

I did the same thing … lol … this loss sucks so bad ..

• Dec 20, 201310:01 pm
    by Jacob

Billups is bad. Bynum is terrible. Let’s get what we can out of Monroe. I mean come on for real? This team should be so much better. Jennings really isn’t that good. Monroe needs to go and Chauncey for as much as I love him should be cut, he brings nothing. Bynum is junk too.

• Dec 20, 201310:03 pm

I’m still stunned

• Dec 20, 201310:13 pm
    by CMAC

I’m sorry. I don’t disagree that Monroe was getting punked in the end by Big Al, but the loss is owed to Chauncey. The entire game was lost when we lost all momentum during his tenure running the offense in the end of the 3rd/ beginning of 4th.

Moreover, this was a coaching issue that is ongoing -  when something is not working, you need to make adjustments … IN GAME!! All of this business about Cheeks being a great players coach, coaching between games… that is great, but we either win or lose games DURING games, not in between.
    Bynum may not have been great but he wasn’t playing his better position of PG, which could have owrked much better during that stretch paired with Drummond. Blech… this was disappointing.

• Dec 20, 201310:15 pm
    by Zdwtr

Stunned

• Dec 20, 201310:19 pm
    by gtg2013

OK, I admit it, Chauncey can’t hold a 4th quarter lead, either. I guess there are no point guards the Pistons can trust to carry home a lead.

• Dec 20, 201310:20 pm
    by Zdwtr

our second unit lacks SG and PG. If we insist playing Bynum as PG and Billups as SG we are going down. Billups has stated in the pres con that he is a PG. A backup PG. now thats bynum position. Mo has to sort out a 9 man rotation. You cant rest a guy because of back to back and sacrifice the ideal lineup it will cost us a game. Today is a good example of that. With bynum and billups running the guards our lead evaporate just like that

• Dec 20, 201310:21 pm
    by Brandon Knight

Why was Drummond benched in the last 3 minutes? I better not hear “WE NEEDED TO SCORE”

• Dec 20, 201310:36 pm
      by Jacob

WE NEED BETTER(SMARTER) PLAYERS

• Dec 20, 201310:42 pm
        by Jodi aka "The Guru"

No, WE NEED BETTER PLAYERS COMING OFF THE BENCH!.. I have no idea why Cheeks would put weak ass Singler in the game and put Drummond on the bench…Al Jefferson started killing us as soon as Drummond went to the bench…

• Dec 20, 201310:33 pm
    by Jacob

Otis is right and has been all along. Monroe has to go no matter what. Otherwise we will end up being mediocre for years, with no cap space. Billups should only play very limited minutes. Stuckey and Charlie V should be traded for better pieces. I wouldn’t even care if we traded Josh or Brandon because true leaders would not let this happen.

• Dec 20, 201310:45 pm

Still stunned

• Dec 20, 201310:46 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

I’m soo stunned I’m going to agree with whatever Otis post

• Dec 20, 201310:47 pm
    by gtg2013

I wouldn’t mind a Pistonpowered analysis of what happened at this point in the game (I only have the radio broadcast, so I couldn’t see anything): Under 8 minutes in the 4th, Ben Effing Gordon hits a 3 and the Bobcats are within one. But Jennings gets a layup, Jefferson misses three straight under the hoop, and Jennings gets another layup, Bobcats take a full timeout. It seems like the Pistons have said: OK, enough of this nonsense. But Charlotte comes out of the timeout, Pistons can’t expand the lead, and with 5 minutes left Al Jefferson just takes over. What exactly happened, offensively and defensively, that allowed Charlotte to just take over? The Detroit coaching staff just seems to be repeating “they got dribble penetration,” but *why* did they get dribble penetration?

• Dec 20, 201311:28 pm
      by Vic

We could have dribble penetration and post ups too but instead we let guys take lazy jumpshots while Monroe gets only 9 shots

• Dec 20, 201310:52 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Game swung when Billups and Bynum came into the game….no defense…limited offense…forcing Billups to play PG…was horrible he looked slow, out of shape, he had no impact

• Dec 20, 201311:04 pm
      by gtg2013

I know that’s when the big lead evaporated. But I’m wondering about *after* Billups and Bynum were pulled–as I noted , it seemed the Pistons were staunching the blood, taking back control, there’s only 7 minutes left, then after a Bobcats timeout they can’t pull away and, boom, Jefferson takes over. That’s not Billups and Bynum.

• Dec 20, 201311:07 pm
        by gtg2013

In fact, the big personnel change for the Pistons during that Bobcats timeout was that Billups came out and Singler came in.

• Dec 20, 201311:07 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Momentum and rhythm….completely swung…they had it and we didn’t…..after that they were back in the gamr…and we couldn’t get a single stop

• Dec 20, 201311:11 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

At midnight I am going to Act like this game never happened…when Jennings walked off the floor he was pissed

• Dec 20, 201311:22 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Please trade for Thad Young….

• Dec 20, 201311:24 pm

Thad Young….

• Dec 20, 201311:26 pm
    by Vic

I didn’t even see the game but all I have to do us look at the box score and see a few comments I know exactly why they lost.
    1. Smennings took 20 shots each. drumroe Both shot over 50% but Monroe only had 9 shots. Smennings probably took long jumpshots without first compressing the defense that lead to quick transition offense for the Bobcats. The bobcats played thru Al Jefferson in the 4th, he compressed our defense and made it work, which is what the Pistons should have done thru Monroe. Smennings leading the team is not intelligent basketball.
    2. Billups on defense in the 4th quarter. Their guards probably wreaked havoc.
    3. Smarter coaching, Clifford took advantage of #1 and #2 while the Pistons thought they could get by on talent without adjusting their game plan.

• Dec 21, 201312:05 am
      by anacaniwelk

4. You forgot the main reason, Andre Drummond is invisible when it’s crunch time.  Give Drummond a 14 point 4th quarter lead and you’ll lose by 10.  He’s suppose to be our best player but he rely’s on others to do the heavy lifting.

• Dec 21, 20136:18 am
        by Vic

The only players that make it a point to feed him and run stuff for him are Billups on post uPs and Bynum on lObs.
        Everybody else just wants him to live on scraps… Give him more he’ll give you more

• Dec 21, 201312:43 am
      by I HATE FRANK

Jennings stats are misleading…I’m the 45secs down 9 he was shooting quick shots to give us a long shot at a comeback…he was on the bench when they made their…when they cut the lead to 1 Jennings scored on 3 straight possession to get us back in the game…

• Dec 21, 20136:13 am
        by Vic

They play the same way every time they are ‘feeling it” or ‘take over’
        Its so predictable
        They both graduated from Oak Hill academy, they never had a college coach to drill out of their heads the fact that some shots are bad even if you make 50%It

• Dec 21, 20138:10 am
          by I HATE FRANK

It wasn’t Jennings shot that lost us this game….looking back, he stopped it from being a 20 point loss…Billups was horrible

• Dec 21, 201312:40 am
    by jumpandcrackintheeurope

Our big 3
    Andre Drummond was pussy on Big Al. J-Smoove was also. Moose take it over. To the end.
    Moose is not good defender, but Dre without no excuse. +/-  -21 !!!. And all those Bobcats guards dribble penetrations.

• Dec 21, 20132:00 am
      by Jodi aka "The Guru"

Even if Drummond played like a pussy on Big Al, I think it was still a huge mistake to not allow Drummond to finish the game defending Big Al…Monroe plays too soft on D…Josh Smith played the best defense he could, but you gotta remember that Big Al is named Big Al for a reason…The guy weighs 280+…

• Dec 21, 20131:40 am
    by starlight0997

Man, I am going to say this right now. Even if the Pistons make the playoffs, no, let’s even add making it to the second round, it may not be much of an accomplishment (thanks to the Big East looking like a “two-team conference” as of late).
    It was just abuse in that fourth quarter from all facets of the game. Even worse may have been the coaching. I am speechless.

• Dec 21, 20131:50 am
    by ZekeKhaseli

Im not defending anyone in this game not Smennings nor Drumroe. Its clear that they dont come together in the 4th as a team. Tomorrow they gonna have to clean up their act and play as one

• Dec 21, 20135:13 am
    by gmehl

This Smennings/Drumroe shit is starting to piss me off. You guys that are using it are segregating the Smith and Jennings from the team because why? They were here after Monroe and Drummond. This team lacks shooters from mid-range all the way to the 3pt line and I hate to say that even if we had Gerald Henderson on this team he’d be a majar upgrade for us.

• Dec 21, 20136:36 am
    by Vic

Smennings and Drumroe are all borderline all-stars (except Drummond who already is an allstar).
    Shot distribution and shot selection affect both offense and defense.
    If all 4 of Drumroe and Smennings averaged 15 shots a game, the team performs better on both ends.
    If the inefficient Smennings gets 20 each and Drumroe avg 10, that means inefficient basketball is being played, jumpshots are being jacked up and the defense is scrambling to get back