Andre Drummond deserving of All-Star start, but not popular enough

Tom Haberstroh of ESPN made his Eastern Conference All-Star choices – based on merit – and Andre Drummond earned a starting spot in the frontcourt with LeBron James and Paul George:

Drummond probably will get some love for Most Improved Player this season, but in reality his per-minute numbers are nearly identical to his rookie season. The difference? He’s finally getting the run he deserves. He tops every East center in EWA, and he paces the league in field goal percentage as well as jaw-drop percentage. Start the "Big Penguin" in the Big Easy.

Yup.

Unfortunately, Drummond ranked 11th in the NBA’s initial voting. The road to the top three is too long, so Drummond certainly won’t be starting. (It’s even longer for Josh Smith, who ranked 15th on the initial results, higher than I would have expected.)

But Drummond has a chance to be an All-Star reserve, an honor chosen by coaches. That’s not quite as much of a popularity contest, so he should have a chance. So far, he’s deserving, but it’s close enough that Drummond must keep producing until the actual selection.

• Dec 12, 20134:55 pm
    by Brigs

it would be a travesty for Drummond to not make the bench at least

• Dec 12, 20135:10 pm
    by jg22

With it being a vote of all frontcourt players, I’m not sure why anyone would think Drummond would get more votes than LeBron, Carmelo, Garnett, etc in a popularity contest voted on by ignorant fanboys who still think Kobe is the best player in the league, and who once voted past his prime Iverson into a starting spot.

Drummond should get in by the coach’s. Normally he might not because they often only vote for players on winning teams, but even though we are 10-13 we are currently a playoff team. So if that stays true going into the coach’s voting, I don’t see why they would not vote for him

• Dec 12, 20136:07 pm
      by Tim Thielke

More than Melo would be exceedingly unlikely even though he deserves more. More than Garnett not so much. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he bounced back to overcome Garnett in the polling. But 5th is the absolute highest Drummond will climb and even that would be quite an upset.

• Dec 12, 20136:48 pm
      by David

Agreed. The fan voted front court is almost (barring injury) 100% certain to be Lebron, Melo, and Paul George. Lebron was even asked about this, since it means he’ll start at the 5.
      Hibbert is probably a lock to get picked for the bench.
      But Drummond could still get tapped by the coaches. Regardless of if he goes, he’s an “All-Star level” player.
      And, this is selfish and probably won’t end up mattering:
      All-Star appearances are one of the things that can qualify a player for the Rose rule when it comes to extensions. (which only he, KD, and Paul George have qualified for so far). This bumps a player’s “max” to 20 million a year from 15.
      So there’s a way in which its better for the Pistons if Drummond’s greatness isn’t recognized by the league for another 3 or 4 years. Which is highly unlikely. And he SHOULD be recognized. But the rule is the rule.

• Dec 12, 20137:13 pm
        by Tim Thielke

Drummond should get in. I expect Hibbert, Bosh, and Horford (also, how is Horford not in the top 15? that’s a much bigger travesty than Drummond at 11) to be the backup frontcourt. That makes Noah, Afflalo, Turner, West, and Hill the main competition for the backup spots (and one of those guards probably gets in with Wade Irving, and Wall, at the backcourt spots).

• Dec 12, 201310:32 pm
          by Max

This is the second time you’ve brought this up but are you tossing out George Hill’s name as a possible all star?   If so, what could you possibly be thinking other than that the Pacers record is good?   He’s averaging 11 and 3 and should be one of the last starting point guards in the NBA to make the team so I don’t get why you keep tossing his name out there.  Avery Johnson and Derek Fisher were part of great team too and never got all star consideration in years when they were more worthy and their team were better.  It just makes no sense.  Apologies if I’ve someone forgotten about a Hill who is actually relevant.

• Dec 12, 201310:33 pm
            by Max

Oops, he’s putting up 11 and 4.  My post stands otherwise.

• Dec 12, 201310:49 pm
            by Tim Thielke

He is a pretty good PG on a fantastic team. His qualifications are comparable to Prince’s when he almost made the team. He shouldn’t be an all-star, but the guard field is really, really weak. And coaches like to put in guys from good teams.

Also, while Hill is nothing special, he’s significantly better than Fisher ever was.

• Dec 12, 201311:02 pm
            by Max

Jordan Crawford should make the all star team ahead of him and certainly Jennings.  As for Fisher, he had special intangibles, especially defensively and as a clutch shooter so I don’t think I agree that Hill is any better than Fisher at his best.

• Dec 12, 201311:12 pm
            by Max

Also, Jeff Teague should be way ahead of Hill in the all star conversation.
            East Guards ahead of George Hill for a backup spot assuming Irving and Wade start.
            John Wall
            Aaron Afflalo
            Brandon Jennings
            Jeff Teague
            Jordan Crawford
            DeMar DeRozan
            Kemba Walker
            Joe Johnson
            Michael Carter Williams
            Bradley Beal
            I’m not sure why George Hill would even be ahead of Rodney Stuckey but everyone I named has clearly put up much better numbers than Hill.   He’s just not in the conversation.

• Dec 12, 201311:20 pm
            by Tim Thielke

Especially defensively? Hill is easily the best defensive PG in the league right now. That might be debatable when Rondo comes back or Westbrook gets back to the top of his game, but currently the only PG close is Rubio.

Crawford is the epitome of the guy who gets stats because there’s nobody else on the team and he still doesn’t put much up for numbers. He’s not even close to the all-star radar.

Jennings vs Hill is debatable but I’m guessing the coaches would put in Hill first because, again, they like to reward very good teams. I don’t think either should make it, but Hill is more likely.

Also, I never once claimed Hill deserves to be an all-star. In fact, my entire point was “look how weak the competition is… this is why Drummond should make it”.

Like it or not, Max, when you’re a core player for one of the top tier teams in the league, you are in all-star consideration.

• Dec 12, 201311:30 pm
            by Max

Guess we have to agree to disagree and I think Hill would be perhaps the worst selection in all star history.  I’m not even sure why he’d be in ahead of Lance Stephenson as he’s his numbers are not better and he’s even averaging less assists.   Also, as far as I’m concerned the Pacers core is George, Hibbert and West.

• Dec 12, 201311:34 pm
            by Max

Also, what makes Hill a better defensive player than Conley or Paul.   In any case, I don’t see any guard in the entire league with the balls to take charges the way Fisher did frequently.

• Dec 12, 20136:59 pm
    by gmehl

Just imagine what Dre will do in the rookie v sophomore game. He’s a man amongst boys in the regular season so I can see a 20/20 game for the offering. Then hopefully Dre and Mitchell both enter the dunk contest. Heck maybe they can enter as a duo.

• Dec 12, 20138:29 pm
    by Otis

First and foremost, get over it. Just get over it right now if you know what’s good for you. You’re just getting yourself worked up about something that doesn’t affect your life, and you’re annoying all the readers who are sick to death of this tired subject. This stupid f*cking fan vote is just a stupid f*cking popularity contest where stupid f*cking fans pick the guys with the sexiest names. Allen Iverson was voted an All-Star during his season in Detroit. What more do you need to know?

I am far too concerned with the current state of the team to worry about meaningless individual accolades. They’re halfway to the trade deadline, wallowing a few games under .500 with no signs of progress. I could give a damn if one of the millionaires on this awful team adds one pointless feather to his cap when (a) it’s not like he’s slam-dunking and shot-blocking his way past the rest of the field, and (b) he plays in Detroit, one of the unsexiest towns there is, where the GM has continually put literally nobody in a position to succeed for over five full years. I’m so nervous that this dipshit GM of ours is going to stand pat at the deadline, hoping things eventually click and/or banking on a totally hollow playoff appearance to save his job, that the thought of anyone giving a shit about some stupid pointless accolade gives me hives.

• Dec 12, 20138:40 pm
      by gmehl

Otis I’ve been meaning to ask you what would be your ultimate return package in trading Monroe. I don’t want to hear something like ‘anything… just get his ass outta here’ or ‘LeBron and a 1st rounder’ but rather just a trade that you think will make us better either now or in the long term. Be gentle :-)

• Dec 12, 20139:01 pm
        by Brigs

I second that. Since u seem to think u can do a better job y not show us how u would improve the team.

• Dec 12, 20139:29 pm
          by gmehl

@Brigs My request for Otis to come up with a Monroe trade wasn’t belittling his ability to come up with a better way to improve the team. I unlike most posters around here respect Otis’ opinion that we should indeed put Monroe on the block. I think we need to start being proactive in gauging his trade value before other teams start to see how much of a defensive liability he is. Yes Otis can be abrupt with most of his posts but as a fellow piston fan I can understand his frustration. I’ve always treated pistonpowered as a kind of group therapy over the last 5 or so years like i’m sure most do and it seems Otis vents more than most. I’d say he is an over passionate piston fan that just wants us to bring back that Goin’ to work like pistons.

• Dec 12, 201310:36 pm
            by Max

I’m glad somebody else has now asked him to name names because I’ve been doing it for a long time and he won’t respond to me.
            Also:
            @Otis:  You don’t respond to me so this is rhetorical.    God forgive somebody discuss any topic regarding the Pistons without it centering on the one issue you want to discuss.   Whether you are right or wrong about Monroe and you’re looking more right than wrong; why can’t we discuss any other subject without you giving your angry rant regarding Monroe and Dumars?   They weren’t even part of this article.

• Dec 12, 201311:34 pm
            by brigs

@gmehl i respect everyones opinion but that doesnt mean i agree with him. it should be a source of pride to all pistons fans if drummond gets into the all star game. the team is not only gonna make the play offs but we also have assets that other teams want which is alot better then it was the last 5 years. i think pistons fans should be optimistic and i dont appreciate otis trying to belittle everyone who thinks that way

• Dec 13, 20132:55 pm
          by Otis

@gmehl: I’ve been routinely rejecting the trade machine game, and I’m not going to get too deep into it right now, but I’ll say this much and hopefully it’s enough for now.

1) The kid has value. That much is for sure. If we trade him now, the team who gets him has some time to see how he fits their system and has the right to match any contract. If they decide he doesn’t fit their team especially well, it might not be a total loss. They might be able to sign-and-trade him and get at least a little something for their trouble. Yes, the general idea is that if you’re trading for him now you plan on extending him, but just saying there’s a theoretical way to salvage the deal if it turns out he doesn’t work out. Also, I consider these to be separate transactions. Joe traded for Calderon but lost him for jack squat in free agency. Whatever GM got him could present him proudly as their big deadline acquisition and just go from there. So if we agree that he’s a valuable commodity, you should at least be open to the idea that there are a lot of teams who would give up a significant package for him.

2) My chief priority would be to get value before we have to extend him to that fat max contract he’s got coming his way. We have less need for Monroe than almost any team in the league, with our crowded front court. I wouldn’t be thrilled to have to give him max money in any event, but with Smith and Dre locked up and the team looking bad, it makes no sense to lock up this awful roster. And once he’s signed that deal, moving him becomes much harder. Not only because of all that money attached, but finding a trade that works under the cap could pose a serious challenge. Think about all the money we’ll have to take back. If we do it now, we have the contracts to mix-and-match literally any contract in the league. Name a player and you can toss some combination of Jonas, CV, Stuckey, Gigi in with Moose and it works under the cap. I can honestly say if I was offered the choice between extending him to a max contract or letting him go for nothing, I would have to think long and hard. Any commitment to this mismatched Jumbo mess is a commitment to mediocrity.

With those points out of the way, I’ll say this: I’d take a package where someone like Kawhi Leonard was the return, Bradley Beal, Klay Thompson. My sell low point would probably be someone in the range of a Gordon Hayward. I would also jump at the chance to get into this year’s draft and make up for that pick we’re sending Charlotte, so if someone had what projected to be a middle first rounder, that would be a starting point. I’m very flexible. Don’t want to pay the man, want to get the most value possible. Solid young wing players and/or picks.

@Brigs: Nobody should be optimistic. What’s to be optimistic about? We can’t beat good teams, Brigs. One win against .500 level competition, and it was that fluke against the Heat where Wade didn’t play at all and neither did any of his teammates besides Beasley.

• Dec 13, 201310:53 am
      by Dan Feldman

“First and foremost, get over it. Just get over it right now if you know what’s good for you. You’re just getting yourself worked up about something that doesn’t affect your life, and you’re annoying all the readers who are sick to death of this tired subject.” -Otis

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Dec 13, 201311:45 am
        by Huddy

It is hard to decide what is the most fantastic about that post….the quote you cited….or the next paragraph that fully reinforces the irony of the first one.

I think my head is going to explode.

• Dec 13, 20132:36 pm
        by Otis

Girlish laughter aside, the Pistons affect my life. The thought occurred to me that you might find that sentence ironic, but I love basketball, and this is my local team. I’d imagine that you like basketball too. If the Pistons were good, it would enhance my enjoyment of watching them, discussing them, I could start going to games again. Believe it or not, it’s not the only hobby I have, but it’s a major hobby of mine obviously. The quality of this team and its future should affect the lives of literally anyone who reads this blog and/or watches the team. Maybe not a colossal impact on their lives, but at least a little.

Individual accolades are a completely different story. If he keeps playing like this, he’ll get all the accolades there are. Money, awards, the love of a small white woman. The thought of a fan giving one shit about individual accolades is nuts. Caring (even passionately) about a team is an entirely different story.

• Dec 13, 20133:45 pm
          by Dan Feldman

“The thought of a fan giving one shit about individual accolades is nuts. Caring (even passionately) about a team is an entirely different story.”

Totally logical distinction. Your value judgment should be applied to everyone in the world.

• Dec 12, 201311:46 pm
    by Jacob

I think it’s great that no matter what the topic is about, it always turns into let’s make a deal. HAHA. I totally agree though. This is so obvious and I don’t think Dumars is too dumb to see that this team right now is barely good in the worst conference ever. E LEAGUE. The more I look around, I just don’t see many good trades for Monroe or Smith. I can only think of a few, but what other teams do them? Smith for Lee and Green. Monroe for hayward and a pick. It’s clear we need a wing. Maybe Jeff Green and a pick for Monroe? Other than that it would take a 3 team deal or something that I am just not seeing.

• Dec 13, 201312:47 am
    by josh

Speaking of lets make a deal, was playin around with ESPN trade machine, what do you guys think about Kawhi and Bonner for Monroe and JJ..  Monroe is clearly better then Splitter, has a somewhat similar skill set, but much better on the boards.  I think Monroe could very well thrive in the Spurs system.  Manu becomes a starter with Danny Green at the three.  JJ can back up both the 3 and the 4 when need  be.  Any chance at all the spurs would consider? ESPN trade Machine gives them 5 more wins, and Monroe gives them a potential future replacement for Duncan.  As for us we get a young lock-down perimeter defender full of potential.  Though Kawhi doesn’t seem to hitting the 3 this season, I thought he was at least a somewhat decent three shooter, and with Bon man in there we would have some serious three point shooting off the bench.  What Id love most about this trade is the thought of a starting lineup of Jennings KCP Leonard Smith and Drummond, that would have to be the most explosive starting five in the league.

• Dec 13, 201312:52 am
      by Jacob

It does make sense, since Duncan will be gone soon. Also for Detroit. I really like Leonard.

• Dec 13, 201312:56 am
        by Jacob

Or Jeff Green and Olynyk or a 1st rounder.

• Dec 13, 20132:34 am
          by Max

Much happier with the Spurs trade.   That’s one I could get behind.  I tell you one thing.  Everyone said at one time that George Hill was Pop’s favorite player and they traded him so it’s worth pursuing even though everyone now says the Spurs love him too much to trade him.
          That lineup would be really fast and Leonard would have room to develop.

• Dec 13, 20135:40 pm
            by josh

Yeah, I wouldn’t mind the Jeff Green trade, but I’m not sure he’s really about to get any better. I don’t know that I’m sold on Olynyk either, has he even gotten any PT in that depleted Boston front court?  On the other hand, ever time I see Boston on Sportscenter it does seem to be the Jeff Green Show.
            Good point about George Hill, if Joey D could somehow bring in Kawhi I’d forgive him for all his previous bonehead decisions in a second

• Dec 13, 201311:01 am
    by Bobby Jones IIV

It would be blasphemous for Drummond to not be on it. He is more deserving then every other big man. My man.