Andre Drummond pisses off Roy Hibbert

Pacers center Roy Hibbert, via Terry Foster of The Detroit News:

“To tell you the truth I was a fan of his until tonight,” Hibbert said Tuesday. “He is a real good prospect, but it seemed like he was running his mouth a little bit tonight. He has a tremendous future, but I was a fan of his. I thought he was supposed to have a breakout year this year. Best of luck to him. He can dunk the ball real well and he can block shots and he can rebound. He is going to have a bright future — but I was a fan of his.”

Hibbert doesn’t like yapping on the court. Drummond knows that and admits to trying to agitate him. It was nothing personal. He was simply doing his job and does not care that his fan club lost a member.

“If I lost a fan, I can’t be mad about it,” Drummond said. “If he complained about me talking, that is part of the game. I’m doing what I can do to get in his head, and it obviously worked because he noticed. So I was just trying to play my game and get into his.”

You can read my thoughts at ProBasketballTalk.

• Nov 7, 20134:55 pm
    by T Casey

I’m not big on a lot of rash talk, especially if you don’t back it up. But, although he was outperformed, Dre held his own against one of the best centers in the league and I’m glad he stuck by his actions. Any added incentive for him to continue improving his game is a plus. I def like the edginess.

• Nov 7, 20135:42 pm
    by CityofKlompton

Love this. If he played for another team, I’d probably think otherwise, but it’s good to see a player with as much potential as Drummond realize the advantages of some mental aspects of the game.

• Nov 7, 20136:17 pm
    by Herman Neutic

Good for Hibbert. There’s so much BS going on in sports to make them almost unwatchable. I hope Drummond takes a little more time and rethinks this so-called advantage. I’d much rather see him emulate Chauncey, or maybe Barry or Calvin.

• Nov 7, 20138:32 pm
      by gtg2013

“…emulate Chauncey, or maybe Barry or Calvin.”

Would that be Callvin Johnson? Who was heard at Ford Field against Dallas yelling, “Dez who?”

Good for Drummond. Be a nice guy off the court, but a Bad Boy on it.

• Nov 7, 20137:40 pm
    by Junior

Nothing wrong w this at all! Monore seems to be the quiet one. Bird was the biggest trash talker…No one liked Laimbeer. Its ok to talk…Showboating is another story, and he does none of that. But talking to agiyate another player has always been and will always be a part of basketball. Especially a Pacer team that has players who can easliy lose their cool.

• Nov 7, 20139:16 pm
      by CityofKlompton

This. ^^^

• Nov 7, 201310:42 pm
      by jerrific

Not to mention the fact that the Pacers are one of the most hated teams in the league for their physical style of play, Roy Hibbert being one of the chief culprits.

• Nov 7, 20139:02 pm
    by Success4siva

Hell yeah Drummond …trash talk is apart of any sport and does no harm nor any good …so it should be no big deal…..it makes the sport more competitive to me

• Nov 7, 20139:14 pm
    by Max

This is great.   Another positive development in the coming of age of Andre Drummond.

• Nov 7, 201310:01 pm
    by Holy Crow

Well, we don’t need Heather Zara to tell us the game is up.

• Nov 7, 201310:55 pm
    by Elliot

Hell yeah Drummond!  Keep trash talking!  Really obvious that Dre has been training with coach Sheed!

• Nov 7, 201311:38 pm
    by jerrific

Whether or not Drummond talking trash is irrelevant too me.  What’s exciting is that drummond is putting the kind of effort off the court to know how to get to his opponents. While it didn’t lead to much success in this game, it is the kind of thing that makes a difference between a good player and a great one.

• Nov 8, 20135:57 am
    by Derek AKA Redeemed

I love what this means for developing a rivalry between the players.  Hibbert is coming into his own as a dominate defensive presence and an all around force down low.  He has transformed himself from an overweight underachieving highly skilled player to a guy that grinds in the offseason with MMA training and works out with Tim Duncan.  Good for him.
    This complaint about trash talking makes him look like a wuss.  Hibbert is the same guy who goes through all the tongue wagging and laughing at opponents when he makes a satisfactory play.  You can’t have it both ways Roy.  If you want to showboat and you are tolerant of your own behavior, you need to be able to power through the trash talking.
    Who cares if he’s no longer a fan, some folks don’t want friends or even civil behavior when you get on the court to compete.

• Nov 8, 201311:12 am
    by Jesse

A guy on the PACERS was complaining about trash talk?!? Does Hibbert know nothing about the recent history of his team and possibly their most popular player of the last 25 years, Mr. Reggie Miller? Keep talking DRE, but only if you are backing it up With your play.

• Nov 8, 201311:31 am
    by hirobeats

Fuck Roy Hibbert.

• Nov 8, 20132:37 pm
    by Mel

I’m all for Drummond being the Bill Laimbeer for the Pistons and off the court he can be  Bill Cosby. We need some fire on the court. Thanks Sheed your teaching AD1 right. Now lets work more on the post game and the Free throws.

• Nov 8, 20133:05 pm