Andre Drummond, Greg Monroe and Josh Smith again lead Pistons to victory

Boston Celtics 77 Final
Recap | Box Score
87 Detroit Pistons
Josh Smith, SF 36 MIN | 7-15 FG | 1-3 FT | 7 REB | 3 AST | 2 STL | 2 BLK | 6 TO | 15 PTS | +9

His shooting wasn’t quite as bad as the stat line suggests, because he got stuck with the ball on the perimeter late in the shot clock a few times. But his six turnovers were absolutely as bad as the stat line suggest, even if many of them came from overly aggressively seeking looks near the rim for teammates. At least he was a bull defensively.

Andre Drummond, C 40 MIN | 7-13 FG | 1-4 FT | 12 REB | 0 AST | 2 STL | 2 BLK | 1 TO | 15 PTS | +9

Drummond made it look easy at times with five dunks and two layups, seven coming off assists and one off an offensive rebounds. He both defended actively while still defending the rim.

Greg Monroe, C 37 MIN | 7-14 FG | 1-4 FT | 10 REB | 2 AST | 1 STL | 1 BLK | 4 TO | 15 PTS | +10

After missing his first three shots because he went up too weakly inside, Monroe took it much harder to the rack. Once it became clear Monroe had found his groove, he should have gotten the ball more than Smith did. Some of Monroe’s defensive issues seemed due to his switch from center to power forward. When pulled away from the paint, Monroe sometimes looked unsure of where to position himself.

Chauncey Billups, PG 21 MIN | 2-4 FG | 0-0 FT | 4 REB | 2 AST | 2 STL | 0 BLK | 2 TO | 5 PTS | +10

Billups saw, by far, a season low in playing time. When on the court, he didn’t make much of an impact.

Will Bynum, PG 17 MIN | 2-5 FG | 0-0 FT | 1 REB | 4 AST | 1 STL | 0 BLK | 1 TO | 4 PTS | +14

Avery Bradley had a very easy time getting by Bynum. On the other end, Bynum didn’t shoot well, but at least he took care of the ball. His chemistry with the other starters showed, too. Bynum assisted every other starter, including throwing an alley-oop to Drummond.

Jonas Jerebko, PF 11 MIN | 1-2 FG | 0-0 FT | 4 REB | 1 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 3 TO | 2 PTS | 0

When Jerebko had the ball, disaster was often near.

Kyle Singler, SF 21 MIN | 2-6 FG | 3-3 FT | 0 REB | 0 AST | 0 STL | 1 BLK | 0 TO | 7 PTS | +2

Impressive as a cutter, poor as a spot-up shooter. Singler’s defense yielded mixed results, but his block of Gerald Wallace’s late corner 3-pointer was awesome.

Brandon Jennings, PG 31 MIN | 5-12 FG | 3-6 FT | 3 REB | 4 AST | 4 STL | 0 BLK | 2 TO | 14 PTS | -4

Jennings, making his Pistons debut, didn’t mesh seamlessly with Detroit’s jumbo front line. Shooting 5-of-12 is poor, and four assists with two turnovers in 31 minutes is just OK. But Jennings’ quick hands created four steals, which led to seven Pistons points. That more than made up for his acclimation issues. There’s plenty of time for Jennings to develop chemistry with his teammates – especially if he’s defended that aggressively.

Rodney Stuckey, SG 27 MIN | 1-5 FG | 8-9 FT | 3 REB | 0 AST | 3 STL | 1 BLK | 2 TO | 10 PTS | 0

Stuckey repeatedly created good shots, an excellent positive indicator for the rest of the season. But he typically either missed or drew a foul, a net positive tonight, but that could swing either way. Stuckey can control his defense, tough, and he defended hard and effectively.

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, SG DNP COACH’S DECISION

With Jennings and Stuckey back, Caldwell-Pope unsurprisingly fell from the rotation.

Maurice Cheeks

The Pistons definitely have more talent than the Celtics, but once Boston stopped trying to match Detroit’s size, the Celtics stretched the floor and gave the Pistons trouble. The Pistons continued their aggressive ball movement, but that is increasingly leading to turnovers. I didn’t expect Cheeks to solve the backcourt rotation the very first game every guard was healthy, but that’s the coach’s next task.

That was… aesthetically pleasing until the game started

The Pistons debuted their navy blue “Motor City” uniforms, and matched against the Celtics’ classic whites, they looked sharp. But once the game began, a combined 45 combined turnovers and 17 percent 3-point shooting made for an ugly contest.

• Nov 3, 201310:54 pm
    by jamesjones_det

This team needs to start limiting TOs if they hope to compete with playoff caliber teams.  There current rate will find them at an 8th seed or worse.

And J Smith my god look before you pass, 6 TOs (15 in 3 games) is unexceptionable.  He is quickly becoming one of my least favorite Pistons with his carelessness.

Jennings looked great for only having one preseason game under his belt for this year.  I kept telling people you will like his passing skills but everyone is/was way to focused on his shooting…

• Nov 3, 201311:07 pm
      by Tim Thielke

That average will come down. He’s put up half that per game for his career and it’s not like his role in Detroit is bigger than it was in Atlanta.

• Nov 4, 20134:43 am
      by Some Dude

I wouldn’t worry about Smith TO’s too much. He’s obviously just being aggressive, maybe a little too aggressive. But it’s hard to fault somebody for that. Especially on a new team in front of the home crowd. He’s obviously trying to make big plays in the early going to try and get some excitement and buzz from the fans. I expect his TO’s to go down as the season goes on and he settles a bit.

• Nov 4, 20138:31 am
      by Steve K

Yes, I hate the turnovers too, but I’d rather see Smith looking for a pass than forcing a horrible shot.

In general, I think Piston fans need to accept Smith for what he is, not what he isn’t. He plays hard at both ends, and, right now, is Detroit’s best 2-way player. What he’s not? Lebron James.

• Nov 4, 20138:56 pm
        by frankie d

pistons fans should acknowledge what smith has been throughout his nba career: a player who routinely made cringe-worthy decisions during crucial points in crucial games.
        the good news is that he has the guts to make those decisions – eg, taking tough shots at crunch time – and the bad news is that he is as likely to make a horrendous decision as he is to make a good decision.  that is who he is.
        the idea that he will somehow come around and morph into some kind of good/great decisionmaker as the year evolves is laughable.  and totally contrary to what he has done throughout his career.

• Nov 3, 201310:55 pm
    by Max

I’m really glad the team because they had me worried and they are now going to enter an extremely tough stretch of games.   I considered tonight a must win for an early season game since dropping the next four wouldn’t be surprising at all and the team has been suffering from poor starts and rough first month schedules for years.

• Nov 3, 201310:56 pm
      by Max

Left out won.  I’m really glad they won.

• Nov 3, 201310:57 pm
    by Max

Also, no break for the Pistons against the Thunder.  Westbrook is shockingly back already!

• Nov 4, 20131:17 am
      by jg22

yeah that’s unfortunate. I thought that could be a win, now not so sure.

Though I feel good about our chances with Cheeks/Trakh being so familiar with their personnel and system. I think we will be as prepared as possible, and it will come down to the players. Having Smith to check Durant is going to be a big advantage over past meetings wiith OKC, and we have an array of PGs to mix it up on Westbrook. Most of all though, our advantage up front could be enough to get us a win, being at home.

• Nov 4, 20134:47 am
        by Some Dude

Don’t like the upcoming games scare you. Yeah there are a couple of the elite teams in the league. But these aren’t the same old Pistons. They are beef up in size and talent and show be able to hold their own against them. I wouldn’t be surprised if they won both or split between OKC/IND. Tho at the same time i wouldn’t be surprised if they dropped them either. My point is, this new Pistons team is no push over.

• Nov 4, 20134:48 am
        by Some Dude

Don’t let the upcoming games scare you. Yeah they are a couple of the elite teams in the league. But these aren’t the same old Pistons. They are beefed up in size and talent and should be able to hold their own against them. I wouldn’t be surprised if they won both or split between OKC/IND. Tho at the same time i wouldn’t be surprised if they dropped them either. My point is, this new Pistons team is no push over.

• Nov 4, 20139:40 am
          by T Casey

Agreed. This team should be able to olay with those teams, especially at the Palace. I will Indiana will be the toughest matchup though because their front court and back court looks better on paper. We really won’t have any advantages except that our bigs can run the floor better.

• Nov 4, 20132:19 pm
            by Max

The Pistons are better but if they play the next four games the way they played the first three they are going to lose all four and drop to 2 -5.  Make no mistake: this is a dangerous stretch and I’ll be over the moon if they can go 2-2 though the next four but I’m predicting 1-3 which will put the team at 3-4.

Also, some of the sloppy play has just been hard to watch and Smith has got to curb those pull up jumpers. I do have some hope that the return of Jennings is going to make a big difference as he gets more acclimated.

• Nov 3, 201311:02 pm
    by John

For the sake of my sanity, I hope they do not average 20 TOs a game for the whole season.

• Nov 3, 201311:20 pm
    by haydzzz

Not a great performance but they grinder out the win. J smoove needs to start being more active off the ball instead of getting it at the three point arc and the bigs need to learn to pass it out of double teams a bit quicker. I’m happy with the teams defense but I would like to see kcp back out there. His perimeter defense is vital

• Nov 4, 20135:52 am
      by Tyrone

good point haydzz, but I think that Smith is camping around the arc to try and open up some spacing on the floor.  I would like to see J Smith and Monroe play off each other a little more often and force teams to pick there poison on who to try and stop.  I believe that will happen in time as the team chemistry continues to build.

Also, I would like to see KCP take Billups spot and see him on the floor with Bynum.

• Nov 3, 201311:34 pm
    by Nick N

@Tim  I agree. Once the chemistry gets a little better and Brandon Jennings get into form the turnovers will cut down. If Brooklyn and the Knicks keep stinking it up the 4th seed is very possible.

• Nov 3, 201311:51 pm
      by Tim Thielke

The 4th seed isn’t happening.

If you expect Brooklyn and New York to have poor seasons based on the first week, you should expect Philly to be one of the league’s top teams as well.

• Nov 4, 20131:13 am
        by jg22

I thought NY was suspect before the season. Seeing them in action, I feel even more confident that we can finish with a better record.

BK I thought could either start slow due to chemistry, or start fast and fade late due to age. Either way, I thought before the season there was a chance we could finish with a better record.

Remember we are just talking about regular season standings here. You don’t have to be better than a team to finish above them in the standings. No one’s saying we would beat them in the playoffs, but winning more regular season games is not out of the question, imo

• Nov 3, 201311:54 pm
    by V.

That’s from ESPN’s recap, I assume you wrote that, right?

No, MVP was Brandon Bass. If he didn’t foul BJ twice trying to dribble out the clock, Pistons don’t cover-and BJ, in tune with the theme of the game, bricked 2 of the 4 FTs.

• Nov 4, 20134:50 am
      by Some Dude

He’s a career 81% FT shooter, relax. It was he first game back, I expect some rust.

• Nov 3, 201311:57 pm
    by Nick N

@ Tim that’s why I put an IF before I said that lol

• Nov 4, 201312:46 am
    by Moonchild

Jerebko was brutal, he needs to stop trying to handle the basketball OR take his man off the dribble.  if he plays his game (hustle, hit open shots, defend and rebound) hes an asset, anything outside of that he kills us.

j Smith i love in that high post area, he does damage with his back to the basketball…He does makes me nervous when he tries to create off the dribble, especially when he pulls up for a shot….You can pretty much guarantee a dribble pull up from Smith is not going in, i would like him to have the third most shooting attempts behind monroe and jennings

• Nov 4, 20131:10 am
      by haydzzz

Jerebko doesn’t seem like the same hustle player that I used to see. He can hit the outside jumper but to me it seems like he sometimes tries to do too much on offence and it looks awkward.

• Nov 4, 20131:19 am
      by jg22

Jerebko has been decent this year. Not good, but not bad either. I think we have guys on this roster that could be doing better in that role though. I really want to see Datome take that backup stretch 4 role. I also think Harrelson may be better than Jerebko.

I like Mitchell, but he’s probably too inexperienced right now for my liking.

• Nov 4, 20131:09 am
    by jg22

Beauty is all subjective I guess. Because aside from our turnovers, I didn’t find anything ugly about that game. It was beautiful to me to watch our frontcourt dominate inside, 22 pts in the paint in the 1st qtr, 32 at halftime, and 56 on the night. When you can dominate inside like that, I don’t care if they miss every 3 pt shot.

And our defense and rebounding was also beautiful to watch

• Nov 4, 20133:34 am
      by Otis

Here’s my counterpoint to that: This was the Boston flippin Celtics here. The winless, tanking Celtics. Ordinarily it’s important to try and move towards the basket and get high percentage shots, but obviously we should have no problem steamrolling to the basket against these players I’ve never heard of. It means nothing to be able to beat the worst team in the league by leaning on your strength. What I wanted to see is a good inside-out game, because that’s what it’s going to take to beat legitimate contenders. You can’t just steamroll your way past elite defenses. I felt like the team made about four buckets outside the paint, and that’s the area where they need to focus. I think Moose has one made jumpshot on the season. These areas are much more important than proving that we can physically dominate D-League teams.

• Nov 5, 20139:21 am
        by Schmidt

I think Boston’s good performance against Memphis last night at Memphis is proof that we should not be unhappy about any win. This is the NBA. Tanking or not, teams are not just going to roll over every night. Every NBA team has professionals on it who want to win.

• Nov 4, 20132:21 pm
      by Max

How could you not find that third quarter ugly?   It didn’t even look like a professional game for a while there with both teams turning the ball time after time without even getting off a shot and it wasn’t good defense on either side but just sloppy play.  I couldn’t believe some of those sequences.

• Nov 4, 20131:18 am
    by Brigs

What happened to kcp tonite? Keeping him on the bench the whole game is horrible for his development especially after how well he played the last game. that’s a big screw up from cheeks. Btw are we supposed to check for grades tommarow or next week or what?

• Nov 4, 20134:55 am
      by Some Dude

Cheeks has stated from the very beginning he plans to use a 4 guard rotations. KCP was only playing because of the injuries. Jennings and Stuckey were always meant to be his starters. Bynum has be good so far, and Billups is as trust worthy as they get. So it’s hard to see KCP playing much, or at all until Stuckey is traded or on nights Billups takes off.

• Nov 4, 201310:13 am
        by Brigs

Well then give the kid time at sf, he can hold his own there. I just don’t think its fair for kcp to play pretty well the first 2 games and then have to sit because stuckey is back.

• Nov 4, 201310:52 pm
          by Some Dude

Yeah, but then he takes minutes away from Singler and he’s already only getting 21 minutes as a backup. You might as well give 20 to one guy on a shorter rotation rather than split it with 2. IMO, I just think Billups should be playing less, I think it would be better to play young.

• Nov 4, 20131:53 am
    by JIm

Josh Smith showed the kind of talent he possesses tonight.  However, he also showed that he needs limits from a strong coach.  Four oh his TOs were a result of complete carelessness.  Mo should have yanked him a couple times.

Chauncey should play when we have the 3 bigs (for his 3 pt capability) in the game, and at the end of the game if we’re up.

• Nov 4, 201312:41 pm
      by frankie d

Exactly right about smith.  As the season goes on and teams become more familiar with this pistons’ team, hus sloppiness is going to kill any chance the team has of being more than a 40-42 win team.  The better teams will feast on his turnovers and bad shots.
      Fadeaway 3 pointers?  Are you joking?

• Nov 4, 20132:22 am
    by pistons moribund

Sell High!!!! MFWB and Stuckey need to go and Bullwinkle need to find some D and a jump shot and stop whining after every call.
    The Celtics are a terrible team.  Just goes to show that the pistons are not there yet if they are struggling against a JV squad.  Really hoping for a blowout so we get to see GiGi in action with KCP.

• Nov 4, 20132:28 am
      by jg22

If you were expecting any team to be “there yet” by Game 3, you were setting yourself up for disappointment.

Also, we just got Stuckey back and had major issues at guard without him, and you want him gone again?

Sorry, not following the logic of this post.

• Nov 4, 20133:09 am
        by Max

Ditto.   The first weeks are always weird.   Look at the Lakers beating the Clippers and Hawks and the 76s beating the Heat and the Nets.   At least Detroit hasn’t dropped a game yet as the favorite.

• Nov 4, 20133:38 am
    by Otis

For the record, regardless of how this team is integrating its players and just starting to jell, we should have crushed this team and gotten some nice garbage minutes in for Gigi and KCP and Siva and Mitchell and Jorts. Boston is just learning how to play together too.

• Nov 4, 20134:58 am
      by Some Dude

Jorts wasn’t even suited up, he’s inactive now.

• Nov 4, 201312:57 pm
        by Otis

Ah. Yeah I saw that in the box score. Doesn’t really affect my comment. You get the idea. Neither this nor the contest with Memphis were good games. I’ve been encouraged by the play of Jennings and Stuckey, so I can’t say they’re total losses. But to hear people calling that Memphis game a “good” loss is absurd. Just because you weren’t supposed to win, doesn’t mean you should shrug it off when you blow a 7 point lead with less than three minutes to go. The win over the Wizards was a good win against a bad team, but that Boston game was sad.

• Nov 4, 201310:55 pm
          by Some Dude

I wouldn’t say the Wizards are a bad team even tho they’re 0-3. They are one of the teams expected to get a playoff spot.

• Nov 4, 20135:55 am
    by Derek AKA Redeemed

I’m happy with the win, but it should have been a more dominant showing.  For a moment I thought we were going to snatch defeat out of the mouth of victory.  The turnovers and late rotations were disappointing.

Still I’m encouraged by the aggression of J-Smoove and Stuckey.  Jennings looked good in his first game after several weeks on the shelf.  I actually expected far more rust than what he displayed in his first game.

Moose, Drummond, and J-Smoove are crazy dominant down low.  While I appreciate the equal distribution of shots, I believe Moose should get the heavier workload.  His offensive game is the most polished among the bigs.  Moose has been taking his defenders to school with his spin moves and drop steps.

The cuts to the basket have made up greatly for the spacing concerns.  They run the pick and roll for the lob, when the lob isn’t there they go with the back cut for the easy lay up…if that isn’t there they have another cutter…if that isn’t there they reset.

20 games in with all our players, we should be a SIGNIFICANT problem for the league.  I like the next couple of match ups games OKC and the Pacers.  Again, like the Memphis game they will give us a nice gauge to where we are.

• Nov 4, 20136:10 am
    by Tyrone

Any time our team gets a win its great.  No injuries and they know what they need to work on.  Next team is the Pacers, enjoy the win today and start getting ready for who is next.  I hope they remember how they all felt after the Memphis game when the play the Pacers next.

The Chemistry will continue to get better and hopefully the team will stay healthy, get wins, and peak at play off time.   DETROIT BASKETBALL!

• Nov 4, 20137:48 am
    by I HATE FRANK

Billups is better served coming off the bench with Stuckey/ or Bynum depending on the match-up that night

Pope should start….With Jennings…..

Im not gonna jump down cheeks throat yet…but the play Vets mindset over rookies is silly…

KCP has a better chance at making defensive plays, and also making a defense pay for late rotations….

its not an issue like Frank not playing Drummond last year, but its still something I will keep any eye on

• Nov 4, 20139:23 am
    by Javell

Why didnt kcp play? He needs to play! Gaurd westbrook

• Nov 4, 20139:46 am
    by Vic

having too many talented guards is not a very bad problem to have… but eventually when you play better teams, you are going to have to play KCP more because he is probably the best 2 guard defender on the team.

Do not leave him out just because he’s a rookie

• Nov 4, 201312:00 pm
      by jamesjonea_det

They shouldn’t play him just because he IS a rookie either.  He needs to prove he’s better than the other guards in front of him and so far he hasn’t really done that.

• Nov 4, 201312:07 pm
        by Vic

Defensively he’s proved just as much as any other guard… and he’s longer than them.

• Nov 4, 201311:07 am
    by greg

i liked the way we played the first half…after that it was just bad basketball…bynum can’ t run a team, stuckey exclusively plays at the two, billups minutes are being kept down and jennungs didn’t look comfortable setting up offensive sets.  Jerebko was just embarrassing…he doesn’t look like a player worth a rotation spot, was out of position and turned the ball over every time he touched the ball. Singler looked out of position to but he made a very important three point play again.

• Nov 4, 201311:39 am
    by tiko

I’m glad Stuckey is playing decent.  Time to ship him out

• Nov 4, 201312:49 pm
    by Windy

Hoping Gigi finds some time…shooting is a issue. Our FT ARE TERRIBLE…guards need to hit free throws….Monroe has yet to hit much of a jump shot, something he ha supposedly work on, I can’t see much of a difference…Jerebko looks lost, timid shooting will never win…

we are 2-1 and did it through some tough stretches…proud of that for sure…against pacers were going to have to make FT, can’t be letting easy points get away from us…I’m not overly concerned about TO as the team is finally healthy and working on chemistry, plus a lot of them came from guys trying to make the extra pass which is nice…gotta tighten things up fast…wouldnt mind seeing Bynum bumped from the rotation a little so KCP can get at least 10min

• Nov 4, 20131:39 pm
      by Ryan P.

I can distinctly remember Monroe knocking down 3 jump shots so far this season..not lighting it up exactly but I think it will come around

• Nov 4, 20132:22 pm

This is correct.

• Nov 4, 20133:26 pm
          by Keith

Per NBA.com, Greg Monroe has taken 11 shots outside of the paint, that you could theoretically call jump shots. He has made only 2 – for an 18% conversion rate. Maybe he is better than this, 11 shots is an incredibly small sample. That said, anyone expecting improvement has nothing yet to build that expectation.

• Nov 4, 201311:11 pm
            by Max

I only meant the three shots and whatever the stats say, I can remember three shots he hit that I’d call jumpers.

• Nov 5, 20135:03 pm
            by swish22

Thank god for nba.com so that http://www.minimax.com doesn’t catch on!!  Good homework Keith.  Some people struggle with stats when all they use is their limited memory!

• Nov 5, 201311:04 pm
            by Max

Yet another post with no substance from swish.   You’re such a jerk.

• Nov 4, 20132:28 pm
    by swish22

Very disappointed KCP is being relegated to the bench.  He looked very solid in the first two games to be benched in favor of one of the worst team players in the league in Stuckey.  KCP has so much more upside than Stuckey who we’ve seen all too much and for too long!!   He has talent sure. He’s had the same talent the last few years and his game has reached its pinnacle.  Maybe since he had such a super start last year Joe D reminded Maurice of how much he loves Rodney and his need for a new contract.   Also, I’d rather see Siva getting Wil Bynum’s minutes even though I know he’ll struggle mightily early on.  Let’s see what he’s got.  We know Wil plays hard and can score but he’s a defensive liability and that’s not changing anytime soon.

• Nov 4, 20132:51 pm
      by frankie d

cheeks has a clear preference for vets.  he’s even stated it publicly.
      here in portland, he buried zach randolph in the same way frank handled drummond last year.
      randolph was killing it his rookie year, but cheeks kept playing a bunch of mediocre vets over him, just because they were vets.  fans were going crazy, because zebo was doing exactly what he has always done for his entire nba career – his per 36 stats were the best on the team for a PF – but cheeks would not play him more than 15, 16 minutes a game.
      unfortunately, i can see him doing the same thing with kcp.  while i’m not his biggest fan, it is obvious that he does certain things very well even at this point, and that he could be a real plus for the team, if given the chance.  i doubt he’ll get much of a chance under cheeks, unless one of the vets gets hurt.

• Nov 4, 20133:28 pm
        by Keith

KCP is going to be stuck until Chauncey gets hurt (which he inevitably will at this age). That said, I’m still really hoping for a Stuckey trade by the deadline. If we could land a very late first, that would be fantastic.

• Nov 4, 201310:58 pm
      by Max

@Swish    What are you talking about?   Why is Stuckey one of the worst team players in the league?   He averages more assists and less turnovers than most and doesn’t mind coming off the bench if it’s best for the team.   And he practices with other players in the off season and even seems to have some hand in organizing such attempts at chemistry building.  Have you even heard a rumor or speculation of any of his teammates saying they dislike him or playing with him because I have not.   One of the first things Billups said when he was resigned was how excited he was to be with Stuckey.  You and others can be as disappointed in him as you want for failing to be the star many hoped he would be but what you are saying about him is simply ignorant and says a lot more about you than him.

• Nov 4, 201311:08 pm
        by Max

And further Swish…..Stuckey’s struggles over the last two years actually had a lot to do with him being a way above average team player as he allowed himself uncomplainingly to be put in positions that didn’t compliment his skill set to make way for the development of Brandon Knight which never really happened.  If Stuckey had been left in the role he had played in the seasons before Knight was drafted he and the team would have done better but he unselfishly accepted that the team had decided to emphasize Knight for the future.   The biggest wave Stuckey made in regard to all of this was to offer to come off the bench when he realized he’d continue to be underutilized with Knight dominating the ball and thought he could contribute more off the bench.   And this is the guy who is one of the worst teammates in the league when you could choose from total chuckers and players who are hated?   You’re nuts.

• Nov 4, 20134:17 pm
    by Seniorbearcat

The Central division is going to be fun to watch if you like talented frontcourts…absolutely brutal matchups down low!

Indiana

C – Larry Sanders 6-11 235
    PF – John Henson 6-11 220
    SF – Caron Butler 6-7 228
    Top Bench Big – Ersan Ilyasova 6-10 235

• Nov 5, 201312:27 am
    by frankie d

i have to say that i am amused that pistons’ fans are so nonplussed about josh smith being on a pace to shoot almost 600 3 pointers when he is a decidedly bad 3 point shooter and has proven to be a bad 3 point shooter throughout his career.
    what is amazing is that fans seem to think that smith’s bad shot selection, excessive shooting and horrible 3 point shooting will not have an impact on detroit’s season.
    i am going on the record now to state that smith will kill this season if he continues to play the way he is playing – shooting  over 7 3 pointers a game, with 5 turnovers a game and a team leading number of shots per game – and it will only be a matter of time before most fans agree with my perspective.
    sure, the novelty of having a uber talented guy is hard to get past, but, good god, look at what he is doing on the court.
    is he doing some good things?
    obviously, as he has always done throughout his career.
    but when you look at his numbers, several horrific numbers stand out and, unfortunately, considering his career-long tendencies, those horrific numbers probably wont get much better as the season goes on….
    contrary to what some optimists and wishful thinkers would have you believe.

• Nov 5, 20135:00 am
    by swish22

Minimax, I think that Stuckey had a lot of potential after his stellar rookie year but he just hasn’t proved he had any leadership abilities from what I’ve seen.  I heard from a lot of guys prior to last season that Rodney would have a breakout season because he was finally healthy.  Go back and check out his stat line the first 15 games last year.  Absolutely AWFUL.  Frank was the scapegoat last year, Kuester before that and now I find out from you that it’s Brandon Knight’s fault.   Wow that’s a new one minimax.   Keep rooting for Stuckey and I’ll keep hoping we move this overrated guy soon. I now it’s not likely as Joe D and yourself have a love affair with this guy who just doesn’t get it.  Keep chucking the three ball Rodney lets set another career high in attempts!

• Nov 5, 20132:58 pm
      by Max

Blah, blah, blah.  Saying you don’t think Stuckey is a leader or is overrated has nothing to do with calling him one of the worst team players in the league.   Stuckey was pretty much the best player on the team when Q was coaching so I don’t see any scapegoat there and Frank and Knight overlap and take in the same two years when the Pistons were trying to make Knight the PG of the future even though Stuckey was a much better PG than him.  As for Stuckey setting a career high in 3 point attempts.   He should have.   For one thing, his pct has steadily gotten better throughout his entire career and for another; when the Pistons made Knight PG, Frank stuck Stuckey in the corner and took the ball out of his hands.   In terms of leadership and wanting to take those 3s; that was part of the reason Stuckey eventually asked to come off the bench which did show leadership and an accurate assessment of his own skills since it showed he knew he was being used the wrong way.  And btw: Stuckey improved greatly after his “stellar” rookie season.  I have no love affair with Stuckey but rather understand that just because he failed at being the man doesn’t mean he can’t contribute as a role playing starter or sixth man.   Pay some attention in the future and attend to the actual details if you’re going to open your big mouth.

• Nov 5, 20135:01 pm
        by swish22

What happened in those first 15 games mental MINImax??   Was there a reason he played so poorly???? since you’re the resident I love stuckey expert!!   Expect more disappointment from Stuckey as most of us who have watched him expect.  Burn another one dude!!   He’s a cancer on this squad………

• Nov 5, 201311:03 pm
          by Max

You’re a moron.   I told you what happened during those first 15 games and you should look up Stuckey’s numbers last year when Knight didn’t play.

• Nov 5, 201312:17 pm
    by Conner

Am I the only one wanting to see Tony Mitchell getting Jerekbo’s minutes? sorry ladies… it’s for the best