Second-highest ranked Piston, Greg Monroe, debuts in top 50 of #NBArank

With just two names to go, the Pistons’ second-highest ranked player in the #NBArank countdown is the guy many (seemingly) want traded, ASAP.

That’d be Greg Monroe, of course.

Monroe comes in ranked at No. 42, but the most interesting part of that ranking is who he beats out. It’s not like Indiana’s David West (44), Denver’s Kenneth Faried (47) or Atlanta’s Paul Millsap (50) are way better/worse than Monroe, but it’s interesting to see Monroe get the nod over them.

Sometimes it feels like his successes are lost in the shuffle. There are a lot of good big men around, and Monroe isn’t even the most talked about good big man on his own team. Those three have been to the playoffs, they’ve put up numbers. Not that Monroe couldn’t do that if he was in position, but he’s never played a really meaningful NBA game.

Either way, Monroe has earned his ranking; even if it’s only seven spots higher than last season’s 49.

One could debate the ranking of Monroe and the guy ahead of him, Brooklyn’s Kevin Garnett, too. Garnett’s still awesome, and he’s still an uber-productive player when he’s not falling apart due to old age. It’s just, well, Monroe has cooked Garnett and his Celtics over the past two seasons (20 points, 12 boards a night in six games).

It’s yet to be seen how Monroe will improve this season. If he comes into the regular season with a semi-reliable 15-footer and some improved defensive mechanics, that’s more than solid. Chances are that could be all he’ll need to finally be able to showcase his skills in the postseason.

• Oct 13, 20134:54 pm
    by J2sports

Honestly, I don’t understand wanting to trade Monroe.  I like Josh, but I think Greg and Andre compliment each other than Josh and Andre.  Why not just get decent SF to stretch the floor.  They don’t have to be stars, but just someone who could get the job done and spread the floor.  Monroe is still young, and while Smith is more athletic, Greg holds his own as well as anyone.  Like everyone says, when he gets that 15 footer to fall, and we’re talking about a future all-star.  I haven’t watched any preseason games yet, so I don’t know what Detroit looks like of offense, but getting rid of Monroe is crazy to me.   I remember when we had a tough time getting big men.  Now we have 3 good ones and now we want to get rid of one.

• Oct 13, 20135:38 pm

I don’t think anyone wants to trade Monroe in order to get rid of him. I think people want to trade Monroe in order to get something back that would help the team even more.

• Oct 13, 20137:56 pm
    by RyanK

I’d wait to see if Monroe gets any better with his jumper and defense by 30 games into the season.  If he can’t defend power forwards and he can’t pull defense out of the paint to defend his jumper, it’s time to see what we could get for him that would work better with Dre.

• Oct 14, 201312:28 am
    by Ryan

I don’t want to trade Greg Monroe at all. I believe he and Andre Drummond are a very good pairing and that they’ll be an even better pairing next season. So what I’d like to see us do is move Josh Smith for an actual small forward either at the trade deadline or this summer. I HATED the signing when it happened but now I view him as a trade asset and I think we’ll eventually be able to flip him for a decent small forward and maybe a draft pick.

Ideally I’d like to see us get a three and D guy who doesn’t need the ball on offense. if we had a guy who could play that role at a high level plus Kyle Singler as a solid backup we’d be set at the three and we’d have much better spacing. Hopefully Smith plays well and we’re able to get a player and a pick for him.

• Oct 14, 201312:39 am
      by Ryan

Josh Smith to Golden State for David Lee and Harrison Barnes.

We get our small forward for the long haul plus a trade asset in David Lee. Golden State can start Andre Iguadala at his natural spot and gets a better defender to pair with Andrew Bogut. It seems like a win-win to me. Thoughts?

• Oct 14, 20132:48 am
        by Some Dude

Yeah, trade Josh Smith right after signing him to a huge deal. Not happening. Do you know how much Dumars wanted him? Smith is part of the rebuild just as much as Monroe and Drummond. Having all three of them makes this team a tough matchup for the other 29 teams. And with how Smith has played so far in preseason, it’s working out just fine. Smith ain’t going anywhere. I don’t how much you dislike him, but the fact remains he’s one of the most unique players in the NBA. And in benefits us to have him.

About the trade, doubtful. First of all, contract/money wise I don’t think a 2-1 deal would work. Plus Lee is a starting PF in this league, 3 years older than Smith. It wouldn’t make sense bringing in an older guy to the team and bringing him off the bench. Smith does basically all the same things as Lee, plus is way more versatile, athletic, younger. Why do that?

I don’t mind getting Barns tho, but I wouldn’t give up Smith just to get him. Smith is way more valuable. Give them Bynum or Jerebko, or both, or even on of our expiring guys. Basically, a package of some of our lesser players for Barns. But we can’t give up Smith.

• Oct 14, 20136:19 am
          by oats

Well, Smith can’t be traded until December 15th, which gives the team a bit of time to evaluate the 3 big men as a unit. What’s more, most in season trades happen closer to the trade deadline. By then the team will likely see those guys rotated around in the front court so we will see plenty of Drummond/Monroe/SF that isn’t Smith lineups as well as Drummond/Smith/SF lineups. At that point we will have some idea of who fits and who doesn’t. I think that Plan A is to stick with the 3 bigs, but I’d assume that Plan B is to evaluate who plays better with Drummond and weigh that against potential returns for Monroe or Smith. That means that I’m assuming that Dumars is as open to moving Smith as Monroe. Smith is much older than Drummond, so when Drummond is peaking Smith will be starting to decline as a player while Monroe will still be in his prime. That means that if everything is equal, the Pistons should prefer moving Smith to moving Monroe.

As for the trade ideas being proposed, the answer is that Golden State is considering exactly neither of them. Losing a good player in David Lee as well as someone that they appear to think is a part of their young core is way too steep of a price for Smith. I don’t get all the hype on Barnes, a guy that was a pretty average rookie last year, but it has set the price on him pretty high. Any collection of Detroit’s lesser talents for Barnes would just be laughed at, and rightfully so. Golden State will not send Barnes to Detroit without getting one of Monroe or Drummond, and I honestly am not certain if they would do Mornoe straight up for Barnes at this point. I think that is really dumb, but they are reportedly extremely high on Barnes and they have him locked into his rookie deal for 3 years while Monroe is about to get a pay day. Even if they would do that, it would be really dumb for Detroit to move Monroe for Barnes without getting significant help elsewhere because Barnes just hasn’t done much. I really can’t see any trade scenario where Barnes ends up in Detroit that also makes sense for Detroit.

• Oct 14, 20139:17 am
            by Some Dude

Regarding your first paragraph. I agree on plan A, which is obvious. But for plan B, if the 3 big combo isn’t working. One of Drummond or Monroe should be moved to the bench. It would best to keep that collection of talent (Smith included). Then, think about trading either Jerebko, Singler, Stuckey, CV, or all. Those are the guys that aren’t that valuable, and easily expandable.

The big questions tho, is who has the ego? Drummond or Monroe? who can accept a bench role? I think it would have to be Drummond since he started off on the bench. He can be used in a similar way as his rookie season, just with increased minutes. I can’t see Monroe on the bench, his skill set is that of a starter, and he’s already established.

• Oct 14, 201310:21 am

some dude, the guys you suggest trading wouldn’t bring back anything of value and may require attaching assets to move.

The reason to trade a really good player is to get back a really good player who hopefully fits better.

• Oct 14, 20131:03 pm
            by Max

I think it’s going to become quickly obvious that everything should revolve around Drummond so the idea of him not starting would be crazy.

I’m also not into trading Monroe and want to see how things go but I had a trade thought:  Monroe and anyone other than Smith, Jennings, Drummond or KCP for Bradley Beal and Otto Porter.

• Oct 14, 20133:48 pm

The only other guy on the Pistons’ roster with really any trade value is Pope. I doubt the Wizards would give up Beal and Porter for Monroe and Pope, but that would be a fantastic trade. Then, next offseason, throw big money at Pau Gasol, Nowitzki, or Love (or Bosh if he opts out).

• Oct 14, 20134:25 pm
          by Ryan

The comments regarding the Smith to Golden State trade, which is a total steal for us, speak to the cluelessness of some of our members. Einstein is the only one who got it right and it’s true that it’s probably impossible since it is such a steal.

• Oct 15, 201310:39 am

If you believe Barnes is anything special. That kinda seems like a stretch.

• Oct 14, 20138:15 am
    by I HATE FRANK

I actuallly love what Josh Smith brings to this team….

He is a player that can win his one on one match up…..

He is also will impact the game multiple ways (rebs, steals,blks,ast), so on a bad night even when the shots arent falling he is still valueable.

• Oct 14, 20139:23 am
      by Some Dude

Definitely, he is a stat stuff every night even if he’s not playing well. You don’t get that kinda of production for many players.

I know a lot of people don’t like him playing SF. But I’m find with it, people here are still underestimating what he can do. He is mobile, and can run the floor, defend at that position. It’s not a foreign position to him, and I like how he’s played so far. Even if he has a defensive laps, big Drummond is inside to swap the flies away. This team will be very good defensive all around.

• Oct 14, 20131:09 pm
      by jamesjones_det

Yep I’m with you.

I’m not sure why everyone is so hell bent on moving guys before we even see what they can do.  This team so far looks ridiculously dominate in the paint at both ends it’s hard to see how they won’t do well night in night out.  There are questions about outside shooting, I’ve called this out a couple times myself but we don’t yet know how that will translate once real games begin.  If it turns out not to be an issue than you have a perfect front line, why mess with it?

There will be plenty of time to adjust this team if needed when the trade deadline hits, no need to rush it.

• Oct 15, 20131:13 pm

“I’m not sure why everyone is so hell bent on moving guys before we even see what they can do.”

Because they are worried that they can’t do as much as is expected of them. And when that is discovered, they won’t fetch as much in trade.

This is the same reason I try very aggressively to trade in fantasy sports before the season starts. If I think Player A will do much better than anticipated and Player B will do much worse, I want to get a trade through before it plays out and my beliefs are confirmed to other managers.

• Oct 15, 20132:43 pm
          by jamesjones_det

You could argue that either way.  If Monroe has a breakout season you would be giving up higher value for a lesser value.

There is no reason why any GM would over pay/trade for Monroe before see him play unless they think he’s ready to breakout.  If you don’t think he’s ready to breakout what makes you think others think he’s going to breakout?

• Oct 15, 20134:13 pm

“You could argue that either way.”

It’s true. It really could go either way. The reason people advocate for trading sooner is because they expect it to go a certain way. I’m not saying they’re right. I’m saying that “let’s wait and see what we have” is not automatically the best plan.

“If you don’t think he’s ready to breakout what makes you think others think he’s going to breakout?”

Because different people have different opinions.

• Oct 14, 201311:53 am
    by Einstein

@J2Sports – No one wants to trade Monroe just for the sake of trading him. You always have to think in terms of cap space when you’re talking about signing or trading a player. Monroe is due to become a free agent next year and will likely get a large pay increase. The portion of the fan base that wants to trade him essentially understands he’s going to command money similar to DeMarcus Cousins and either doesn’t believe he deserves that or believes the Pistons can’t afford to pay him that and still have championship aspirations. That’s the reason for the trade talk. I argue to try and trade him for a floor spacing PF like LaMarcus Aldridge from Portland, especially if Portland determines Damian Lillard and Nic Batum are their future, not Aldridge. If we can’t get what we want in return, then try and resign him for 12-13 mil a year.

@Ryan – That’s a trade I’d do in a heartbeat and would be a huge coup for Detroit, therefore it will never happen. Golden State isn’t giving up a huge talent in Barnes and a solid starter in Lee for Josh Smith. No chance, unfortunately.

• Oct 14, 201312:07 pm
      by sebastian

Einstein, is right in his explanation for the trade discussions involving Moose. Either the Pistons resign Moose to a Cousin-type contract or move him for Aldridge or Serge Ibaka. Moose and Charlie V. for LA or Moose and Jerebko for Serge Ibaka.
      If either of the aforementioned trades cannot be executed by Halloween, then sign the dude.

• Oct 14, 201312:29 pm

What is the upside of trading Monroe for Aldridge? They are fairly comparable players. But Monroe is younger, has more room to improve, and will have longer before hitting UFA.

• Oct 14, 20131:05 pm
          by Max

Aldridge has the floor spacing jumper.

• Oct 14, 20134:00 pm

True, it is an upgrade in terms of fit. But he has so much less value that it would be an awful one-for-one trade. Aldridge+Matthews/Batum for Monroe+Jerebko+expirings? That would be a bit more intriguing.

• Oct 14, 20131:13 pm
        by jamesjones_det

Halloween??  Are you joking?  You could trade this guy in February if you really wanted too, there is not need to make a rush trade with the talent that is on this team.

• Oct 14, 20133:10 pm
          by sebastian

Yo, James Jones of Detroit, I personally don’t like mid-season trades … until this day, I still hate the Dantley for Acquire trade back in ’89.
          But, I wrote Halloween (Oct. 31), because that is the deadline to decide to extend a player during the 4th year of his rookie contract.

• Oct 14, 20136:38 pm
            by jamesjones_det

Now that I get, I just don’t get the lets trade because we can posts we have been seeing lately.

cheers.

• Oct 14, 201310:05 pm

So I don’t get it. Why all the hype about Barnes? He had a disappointingly blah rookie year capped by a postseason in which he was decent, but hardly noteworthy if not for the fact that he was exceeding the expectations set by his mediocre performance all year.

This seems to me incredibly reminiscent of Stuckey after his supposedly fantastic series against Boston, which was similarly not all that great. It was just better than anybody was expecting at that point. And suddenly everyone is seeing star potential?

I don’t know. I’d be happy to be shown what I’m missing here, but at the moment I expect Barnes’ career to continue to play out similarly to Stuckey’s (definitely rotation caliber and good enough to be one of the worse starters on a very good team, but someone you better hope you’re not depending on).

• Oct 14, 201312:51 pm
    by jack

I think the team as it is currently built can get into the playoffs and compete for the second round.  With some playoff experience and few tweaks to this roster on the bench they can become true contenders.  I am for keeping the front line intact the way it is.  If sometimes shots are not falling, they can get on the boards, or insert players like GIGI or CV to shoot the 3 and space the floor off the bench.  I personally think KCP should start over Stuckey, or Billups.  He is someone providing the threat of spacing and defense on the perimeter, and along with Jennings.

• Oct 14, 201312:58 pm

It seems incredibly unlikely that the Pistons make the second round just because they would almost certainly have to beat one of Miami, Chicago, Brooklyn, or Indiana to do so.

• Oct 14, 20131:12 pm
        by Max

We will see how good and healthy NJ and Chicago are……..Derek Rose is already experiencing pain in his knee that is sidelining him and they no longer have Nate Robinson to bail them out.  Also, you’d be hard pressed to name a more injury prone lineup as Noah, Deng and Boozer all miss more than their share of games and half seasons.   In New Jersey, Deron Williams and Brook Lopez were walking around in walking boots this summer and they are the young whipper snappers in comparison to the rest of their starters who wouldn’t shock anyone if they sustained major injuries or just hit the wall and fell of the cliff as players.  Williams’ ankle isn’t right as of this moment.  I’m not assuming these teams are going to contend or even be good but I wouldn’t be surprised if they are.  Like I said, we’ll see.

• Oct 14, 20133:55 pm

Injury prone teams for sure. But they also have so many good players that losing some of them for a while doesn’t really matter. Sort of the bottom completely falling out, they’re locks for top 5 seeds. And they’ll probably try to make a point of being healthy come the playoffs.

• Oct 15, 20132:28 pm
            by Max

The Lakers were as talented as either the Bulls or Nets on paper last season if not more and they came rather close to missing the playoffs last season without the bottom falling completely out.  I am predicting the Bulls and Nets land top four seeds but I wouldn’t be surprised if either team suffered a total disaster of a season.   Also, both teams are deep but both teams are in big trouble if their point guard gets hurt this year.  Neither team has the backup point guard to sustain good play if the starter goes down and both Rose and Williams are suspect going into the year.   Nate Robinson saved the Bulls season last year but he is gone.

• Oct 15, 20134:25 pm

The Lakers are a very different case of an assembly of talent that was expected to mesh and never really did. They were somewhat derailed by injuries but very set back by the fact that the team never played as well as any paper analysis would expect them to.

The Bulls have done just fine without Rose for quite a while now. He elevates them to another level, but they are very capable of playing .600 ball without him.

The Nets are a unique mash-up of the best of two winning teams. We already know their Nets components can play well together. We already know their Celtics components can play well together. I really don’t see how they are dependent on Williams. Johnson and Terry are a pretty fantastic pair of backup plans. Pierce can then slide some over to SG with Kirilenko picking up the slack at SF. This is a stacked team. They would have to fall off a cliff or implode to not work out.

• Oct 15, 20137:48 pm
            by Max

Terry looked washed up to me last year and Johnson playing the PG full time seems like an enormous stretch.   Also, I think the Bulls would have been much worse and a borderline playoff team at best if they had not had Robinson killing it last season when Rose was out.   Robinson is gone and Heinrich can still play some defense but has been just about the worst shooter in the whole league the last two seasons.

• Oct 14, 20133:48 pm
    by David

Detroit SHOULD NOT trade Monroe, he has a lot of upside, this will be the first year he’s playing with a better supporting cast since he’s been there. Monroe and Drummond also fit together and could really become a front court of the future now that they have some others to compliment them on the floor. I think this is a 5-8 seed team in the east this team just needs another piece or two kind of like 2 shooters one being a 6th man capable of putting up big numbers like Harden did for OKC.