Maurice Cheeks is much wiser than Lawrence Frank about Andre Drummond

Vince Ellis of the Detroit Free Press:

Cheeks said he isn’t looking to limit Drummond and expects big things in his second season.

“I’m going to put him out on the floor for sure,” Cheeks said. “I’m not looking not to play him, I’m looking to play him. He’s going to be out on the floor. There’s no other way to say it.”

You can read my thoughts at ProBasketballTalk.

• Oct 1, 20139:02 pm
    by D_S_V

I’m far from a devout supporter of Larry, but is that headline fair? Of course I was eager to see some more Drummond last year, but to even casual viewers, it was clear that Drummond had some conditioning issues – and then he suffered an injury. Don’t take this for an accusation that his increased minutes caused the injury, please, it’s just what happened. So to decide to (dis)credit Frank for Detroit’s shortcomings, and then deny it for Drummond’s success doesn’t seem fair.

• Oct 2, 20137:11 am
      by Vic

Coaches job is to win games, period. You give him a breather, and you put him back in. 19 year old professional basketball player. 19 year olds run all day… I know I did.

I honestly thought Frank was purposefully tanking the way he limited Drummond last year. I guess it backfired on him, but it worked out for the Pistons… They got another top 10 pick that looks to becsupertalented (KCP). Drummonds injury helped out too, otherwise they could have snuck into the playoffs last year.

• Oct 2, 20138:09 am
        by gmehl

@DSV – if Frank played Drummond more then his conditioning would’ve gradually gotten better. Sitting as much as he did was wrong and I feel he could’ve given him another 2 mins a quarter. He would’ve averaged a double double If that was so.

• Oct 2, 201311:35 am
        by Herman Neutic

I also thought Frank was tanking, and that he was doing so on management’s instructions. And part of the “tanking plan” was to bring Drummond along slowly. I thought that for most of the season Joe D had Frank’s back on this, but then JD panicked at the end of the year, tried to win more games, and Frank took the fall.

• Oct 2, 20134:19 pm

If that were the case, why not play the “struggling” Drummond-Monroe pairing more?

• Oct 1, 201310:23 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

I just have to vent about this Drummond is rated 72 in 2k14 ….a 72 …. know who cares …but really a 72?

• Oct 2, 201312:03 am
      by Max

The ratings are conservative because they can change.

• Oct 2, 20131:23 pm

I don’t know how normal players are ranked in such games these days. I haven’t rally played since NBA Live 2004. But I know that back then rookie LeBron was ranked 69 and rookie Wade was ranked 60. Ben Wallace, in his prime at the time, was a 75. So 72 doesn’t sound too bad.

• Oct 2, 201312:05 am
    by Max

This is what I want to hear from Cheeks but I want more.

• Oct 2, 20136:20 pm
    by Gordbrown

I was all for moving Drummond gradually, given its schedule, especially to start, and the fact that the team was a building proposition, making the playoffs was a long shot anyway. But however many minutes Frank did or did not play Drummond, it was the consistent and appalling collapses when the team had the lead that did Frank in. So I would submit that being fair to Frank only means stating the obvious — his coaching cost last year’s team a lot of games they might otherwise have won. In fact, for three years the team had improved (albeit marginally) each year and last year they went backwards. QED.

• Oct 8, 20136:21 pm
      by Quin

Yep, Frank wasn’t good for the team at all. And consider that we chose him over Mike Woodson. I will never really get over that.