Josh Smith hits rim on 3-pointer at buzzer, Pistons beat Timberwolves

Josh Smith hitting the rim on a 3-pointer and the Pistons winning: two things I suspect you’ll see more often than not this season.

(hat tip: Ben Golliver of Point Forward)

• Oct 25, 201311:23 am
    by Josh

I was watching this with my buddy and I kept saying “dont let smith shoot a 3 for a game winner! NOOO!!!!!” Then it bounced off the rim and i said “Of COURSE that would happen!!” Then it went in and i was joyed and thrilled (Sucks it wasent a real season game) But still i dont want him shooting outside game winners. Heck KCP is a good shooter and its a matter of time before his shot falls, and i wouldnt want him shooting either. Overall nice way to end the preseason with our big money guy knocking it down.

• Oct 25, 201312:05 pm
      by Some Dude

Despite the knock on Smith. In 7 games he shot 40% (13-32) this preseason. That’s is not bad at all. He’s been getting pretty clean looks thanks to the inside presence of Monroe and Drummond. And even as a 30% career 3-point shooter, Smith is bound to knock them down at a high rate if he’s getting good looks. I don’t think you need to be wishing him not to shoot.

• Oct 25, 201312:07 pm
        by Some Dude

* 13-32 from 3-point range that is…

• Oct 25, 20131:14 pm
      by jamesjones_det

I don’t mind him taking open 3′s, I just don’t like when he forces them.  There is no reason for JS to force a three with a hand in his face.

• Oct 25, 20131:22 pm
        by CNA5

There was only 3.5 seconds left.  In the absence of Jennings and Billups, I have no problems with Smith taking the shot.  He can get the shot off.
        I’m definitely ok with that shot, given all of the circumstances with the game.

• Oct 25, 20133:20 pm
          by jamesjones_det

I wasn’t talking about the game winner, obviously in those situations it’s going to be a contested shot (most of the time anyway).  I’m totally fine with those, what I meant in my post was about most of his other 3 point attempts.

• Oct 25, 201311:29 am
    by Dan

Anyone else notice how crazy Tom Gores went? running onto the court grabbing players like it was the playoffs….KCP looked at him like he was a crazy fan, wondering why he was on the court hahaha

• Oct 25, 201311:47 am
      by Brandon Knight

Yea I did, he was probably drunk lol

• Oct 25, 201311:46 am
    by anacaniwelk

If Gores wants to be happy let him be happy.
    Pope is gonna be a star.
    Drummond’s free throw shooting is gonna cost this team 5 wins.

• Oct 25, 20131:15 pm
      by jamesjones_det

Let’s take a step back there on the Pope comment.  He had a great game but he still has a way to go before we can start saying he looks like a star.

• Oct 25, 201311:51 am
    by Venice

• Oct 25, 201311:55 am
    by Venice

Dan you mean this?

That was Hilarious!

• Oct 25, 201311:57 am
    by maeby

Last night was bad Josh Smith 101.

• Oct 25, 201312:11 pm
      by Some Dude

How? because he went 3-9 of 3-point range? that’s is bad, and hitting the game winner more than makes up for it. I’d rather him go 3-9 than 0-9, so be happy he knocked some down. As long has he’s providing a few triples a game and the team is winning. He’s free to do as he wishes. And honestly, his shot selection overall has improved. I mean yeah he still chucks up a few bad shots, that’s just him. But he’s made a conscious effort to improve his shot selection. I’ve noticed that in watching the 7 games he’s played. He went 13-32 overall from downtown which is 40% this preseason. I’ll take that any day.

• Oct 25, 201312:13 pm
        by Some Dude

Edit: that’s is bad, and hitting the game winner more than makes up for it

• Oct 25, 201312:14 pm
          by Some Dude

Dammit, damn typos….THAT ISN’T BAD…..

• Oct 25, 20131:17 pm
        by jamesjones_det

It was bad because he was forcing most of those three and forcing a lot of bad shots.  Overall I would say he had an OK game but I don’t expect more than what he did last night most nights.

• Oct 26, 20131:10 am
          by Some Dude

I wouldn’t expect him to take nine 3-points too often. Lets just say it was one of those games. But I’ll take 3-9 for 33% from him, as long as he’s not throwing up goose eggs out there. His three’s contributed to a win, and as long as they’re winning, I ain’t complaining.

• Oct 25, 20132:03 pm
    by hoophabit

Josh is what he is, and like every player he’ll win you some and lose you some, but he played a pretty good overall game last night.  What absolutely amazes me is that Ben Golliver could write this game up and make no comment on Drummond having 20 rebounds or playing almost 38 minutes.  Drummond will lose us five games eh?  I wonder how many more we’d lose if he wasn’t playing at all?  He has a lot of growing to do in a number of areas, but he’s still something special down low.  He looked flat footed and tired at the end, which is hardly surprising.  Everyone has commented on how much better shape he’s in to start this year, maybe the coach was making the point that he’s not quite there yet?  Cant say how it’s all going to turn out, but it will be a lot more interesting to watch than the last few years, and I’m grateful for that.

• Oct 25, 20132:05 pm
    by Phil

I would much rather have Josh Smith hoisting 3s as opposed to long 2s.  As long as he keeps his feet behind the line I will be happy.

• Oct 25, 20133:17 pm
    by Corey

When the talk of Josh Smith started, I loathed the idea of signing him to play the 3, and of him taking a lot of long jumpshots for this team.  But if he’s going to play with Monroe and Drummond, he needs to take some long jumpers. And 3′s at 33% are a LOT better than 2′s at 36-40%.
    Rasheed Wallace was a good 3 pt shooter who did a lot of pick-and-pop with Chauncey to launch open 3′s, right? That’s what we remember. His BEST career 3pt percentage for a season with Detroit was .357 in 2005-2006. I think Villanueva is under 35% for his career. And those are “stretch fours”.  I’d rather he shot 40%+ from 3, but so far he’s doing pretty well from there. Maybe playing with Drummond and Monroe means more open 3′s than he’s used to, and the percentage will be higher than it’s been in the past.

One more thought – 9 3′s isn’t too many in a game, for someone who’s shooting a decent percentage. Heck, if someone was shooting 40%, there is NO upper limit for what’s too many. That’s a subtle thing I liked about KCP when they drafted him – he shot almost half his shots from 3 in college.  An open 3 from a good shooter is better than anything but shooting right at the rim – so if they’re open, take them.

• Oct 25, 20133:55 pm
    by ryan

Two things.

1) Tom Gores looked like a complete tool in that clip.
    2) I’m pretty sure this is the high point of the whole season.

• Oct 26, 20131:18 am
      by Some Dude

You’re sad fan if you think that, period, don’t try arguing.

• Mar 8, 20147:07 pm
    by memit.com

To have the coffee in your machine initially you have to boil some water in
    the first or perhaps the second chamber. Tassimo Machine is perfect for
    making different drinks for guests, visiting family or in making
    hot-beverages through the entire day. What do the best way to buy and
    apparently love when it comes to coffee brewers.