“Interesting” is a major victory for the Pistons already

For today’s Detroit Free Press column, I discussed that, for the first time in four years, the Pistons are a relevant, even exciting team. That in itself is a victory no matter what plays out on the court:

Measured against their own successful, championship past, this current version of the Pistons hasn’t accomplished anything of import just yet, other than simply being interesting. The team spent significant money in the offseason, bringing in two of the biggest names on the free agent market in Josh Smith and Brandon Jennings. Their super-sized frontcourt that, at the very least, will get all the blocks and all the dunks, has NBA fans all over the league picking the Pistons as a guilty pleasure League Pass team. Members of the 2004 championship team, Chauncey Billups and Rasheed Wallace, are back to help mold this intriguing collection of talent into playoff contenders. Greg Monroe is going to be the next young big man to get a max contract. The only question is whether that will be paid out by the Pistons or another team. Jennings hangs out with Drake, the most polarizing musician not named Miley Cyrus.

Any of those storylines entering the season is infinitely more interesting than some of the things fans have tried to talk themselves into as areas of intrigue in the recent past — Is Austin Daye the answer at power forward? Maybe Tracy McGrady really does have something left despite no other team wanting to sign him. Who has more upside, Rodney Stuckey or Russell Westbrook? I do admire the way that fans, myself included, have used creativity (delusion?) to get excited for teams and seasons the past four years that offered anything but excitement.

• Oct 4, 20137:50 pm
    by gmehl

Wow those days seem like such a long time ago. As much as I tried to make myself believe it I could never sell myself on the Austin Daye at PF one. Only place to go is up :-)

• Oct 5, 20131:53 am
    by Schwein

• Oct 6, 20132:22 am
      by anacaniwelk

• Oct 7, 20139:02 am

4 years is a very fast rebuild? By what standards? Who has ever taken longer to rebuild after blowing it up.

Now I recognize that many rebuilds have been massively unsuccessful so that even though the team has been completely turned over, it still sucks and they have to rebuild again. But since we don’t yet know whether Detroit will fall into that category, we have to count those teams as “rebuilt” if you want to count Detroit as such.

• Oct 7, 20132:25 pm
          by Max

The Bulls and the Celtics took much longer to rebuild.  The Knicks just were horrible for over a decade between the Ewing and Melo eras.    Obviously Anacaniwelk is confident about these new Pistons but as a general rule, yes, he is right that four years is a very fast turnaround.

• Oct 7, 20133:52 pm

It should be noted, that there hasn’t been a “turnaround” yet. There is hope. But this team hasn’t done anything on the court yet. They have talent, but there are still legitimate questions. So I hesitate to say whether the rebuild of the team is over yet.

• Oct 7, 20134:03 pm

“I agree with you Schwein. It’s “Drew Sharp Journalism.” I guess incessant whining gets them more clicks and helps with their advertising.  Fact is blowing up an NBA team and rebuilding it into something “interesting” in only 4 years is a VERY fast rebuild, but that isn’t a narrative that gets clicks.”

1. My column was largely complimentary, praising the Pistons for heading into the season with legit reason for excitement after being one of the league’s most uninteresting teams for four years. So not sure how that qualifies as “incessant whining.”

2. The Pistons aren’t actually “rebuilt” until this team proves the on-court product can match the off-court hope. The talent is significantly better, but there are numerous examples of talented rosters not playing well together. So I’m hesitant to say their rebuild phase is definitely over. There’s a chance this team could underperform.

3. If I were worried about “clicks” or “web traffic,” I would give up writing about the Pistons and write about the latest things Miley Cyrus has rubbed her vagina on or something. I write about the Pistons as a hobby. I could give a shit if you click or not.

• Oct 7, 20133:56 pm

“Patrick Hayes is a hater, and probably gay for Kelly Olynic.  Thanks for wasting my time with your contribution.  Now you have mine.”

Haha. I knew I quit reading the comments for a reason. Kelly Olynyk certainly is a handsome man with flowing locks, but I can’t say that I’m a fan. I sell pretty hard on Gonzaga players considering the success or lack thereof of some of their recent stars in the NBA.

Also, to get a better idea of your “contributions” to the site, I browsed through some of your previous comments. Holy wow. You’re the last person who should be doling out writing/analysis advice.