Brandon Knight blames Pistons for his low assist numbers

Gery Woelfel of RacineSportsZone.com:

Knight averaged a mere four assists a game while playing for the Detroit Pistons last season. That tied him for 38th place in the NBA. Not good.

But Knight insists that stat is rather deceiving.

“I’m not trying to blame anybody,” Knight said while carefully choosing his words. “But the team we had … It was a tough situation.

“When you have shooters, it’s easy to get assists because they’re going to knock down open shots. We had, maybe, one (Kyle Singler) knock-down shooter.

“And I didn’t have any bigs who could stop and pop. The only one we had was Charlie Villanueva and he didn’t play much. And, when he did play, he was with the second unit so I wasn’t playing much with him.”

But that wasn’t the sole reason, Knight says, for his subpar assist numbers last season. He points out that, contrary to public perception, he wasn’t strictly a point guard. He also spent a considerable amount of time at the shooting guard spot.

“In the first half of the season, I was playing the point guard position; in the second half, I played off the ball,” said the 21-year-old Knight, whom the Bucks acquired July 30 from the Pistons in a trade for disgruntled Brandon Jennings. “So, of course, my assists are going to go down. A lot of people outside looking in … they look at the stats. But a lot of them didn’t know that.

You can read my thoughts at ProBasketballTalk.

• Oct 10, 20134:44 pm
    by Branden

I never thought much of Knight, he made the bad mistakes that 35 year olds at the Y would never dream of committing. But…… he has a point. He didn’t play the point much after Calderon, and that team was not very talented athletically and could not shoot much. Though Bynum found a way to rack up some assists to Dre that Knight simply didn’t have the ability to.

• Oct 10, 20135:18 pm
    by gmehl

November 25th…its on!

• Oct 10, 20135:39 pm
    by Windy

I wish all the best to Knight…very young guy, has a great skill set…he is only 21, just for reference Damian Lillard is 24…give Knight time to work out the kinks, he was pushed too fast but we needed him…I think he could still be a very solid NBA player

• Oct 10, 20135:47 pm
    by MrBlockedShot

Yes Mr Knight, I agree we were awful last year, nobody was hitting shots from the outside on a constant basis except Calderon, and even our offensive plays were all but assist prone. But, what about the 6.6 assists per game for Calderon with the same teammates? Not counting the 2,7 turnovers per game Knight had last year opossed to 1.8 for Calderon. Is it only the players you play with Mr. Knight? Or maybe your skills are counting too? This guy has a long road to success yet and a lot to prove in a even worst team this year.

• Oct 10, 20135:48 pm
    by Kamal

I like Knight.  But let’s keep it real.  The dude is not a good passer.  He telegraphed much of his passes causing His dimes kept getting deflected and/or stolen.  He couldn’t make the entry pass to the post.

• Oct 10, 20139:42 pm
    by RyanK

Why did Calderon manage to get so many assists if the teammates couldn’t get it done?  Knight making up excuses like this surprises me.  The fact is he’s the worst point guard I ever saw in a piston jersey…

• Oct 10, 201311:15 pm
    by The Guru

I’m still pissed we traded Knight!..I wish we would have kept Knight played him next to Jennings…If you haven’t seen Knight lately the guy has put on some muscle…I think we could have been OK with Knight starting at the 2 and Jennings running the 1…Knight was more of a combo-guard, not a point guard…

• Oct 11, 20134:00 am
      by Some Dude

Bucks wouldn’t have done the trade if they weren’t getting Knight. The whole point of the trade was to switch them. Both were the centerpieces of the trade, Jennings being the main one, but still, it was all about the two of them switching.

• Oct 11, 201310:30 am
    by Haan

I’m remembering Knight’s assists went down only marginally once Calderon arrived.  If so, that part of his statement is factually wrong.  The rest is at once accurate and misleading.  Haven’t Knight’s assist totals been pretty consistent from HS to college to the NBA?  That said, I do expect some improvement in his numbers as his career progresses.

• Oct 11, 201312:00 pm
    by Huddy

Yeah Brandon you would think moving to the 2 would change your assist numbers that IS a great point….oh yeah…except for the part where it didn’t change your assist numbers and they didn’t deviate by more than around half an assist in any given month.  Maybe you aren’t a good facilitator and play like a 2 guard no matter what guard spot you are in because that is your more natural position.

• Oct 11, 20136:54 pm
    by Derek AKA Redeemed

I wish Knight nothing but success (except against the Pistons) in the future. It will help his development to move on from the past and focus on the future.

Keep it moving!