Luigi Datome, Peyton Siva revealed in #NBArank

With training camp just a month away, ESPN has rolled out its #NBArank series. The countdown of the league’s top-500 players focuses on what the ESPN Forecast panel predicts that a player’s impact and level of play will be in the upcoming season.

That”s why a pre-crazy Lamar Odom in 2012 was No. 130 and a reportedly crazy Lamar Odom in 2013 is currently projected as the No. 462 player.

Anyway, as one of the most made-over teams in the NBA this summer, the Pistons have already seen two of those new faces pop up in the rankings — No. 421 Peyton Siva and No. 397 Luigi Datome.

This early in the rankings, you’re looking at guys who are young, unproven or just your average end-of-the-bench players; and that’s basically what you’ve got with Siva and Datome.

It’s a situation where, while both players present some amount of value to the Pistons in 2013, they aren’t going to make or break your season if they live up to these low rankings.

Right now, Siva is probably the No. 5 or 6 guard on this team. Now that doesn’t mean he’s destined to be a schmuck, but if the Pistons are the quasi-playoff team some think they can be, he’s probably not a rotation guy right now.

Datome, on the other hand, might have a chance to be a guy this season.

This isn’t a perfectly constructed roster by any means, but if you can hit 3-pointers, you can probably get on the floor. Part of what made the apparently-great shooter Kim English expendable was that the Pistons picked up another, albeit more proven, apparently-great shooter in Datome.

He’s had a pretty strong EuroCup with Team Italy, too, putting up 14 points and 5.5 rebounds a night to go with two threes a game. If he can bring something close to that production to the table this season, he should exceed his No. 397 ranking and be a very valuable piece for the spacing-challenged Pistons.

• Sep 17, 20132:46 pm
    by Max

If Siva doesn’t become a good player, it will not be a any justification for calling him a schmuck and Datome doesn’t have to become a rotation player to become a guy because he already is one.   Also, “he should exceeded” isn’t proper.   I don’t usually like to point out such things but this article was odd reading.

• Sep 17, 20132:54 pm
    by Brady Fredericksen

Thanks for the grammar check. I never called Siva a schmuck, just said that not being a rotation guy currently doesn’t make him one. That’s a nice thought on Datome, but it’s hard to say who a rotation player is when the team hasn’t even played together in a game yet.

• Sep 17, 20133:18 pm
      by labatts

I liked the article, and actually thought the line in question was funny.  I think it is safe to say, however, that for some reason Siva has become the new “untouchable” for many fans.

• Sep 17, 20133:40 pm
      by Max

I’m kind of sorry I pointed any of this out but you said Siva being the current 5th or 6th guard on the team doesn’t mean he’s going to be a schmuck.   “Schmuck” has nothing to do with whether a player is any good or not.   The same notion applies to your line about Datome.   You might have said Datome has a chance to be a “player” this season but you said he had a chance to be a “guy”.  Again, being a “guy” has nothing to do with whether a player is any good or not.  The “schmuck” thing probably got me going cause I’m Jewish and it refers to a person being contemptible or stupid.   You don’t call the last pick in the draft a schmuck if he fails as a player in the NBA.

• Sep 17, 20133:55 pm
        by labatts

FWIW, i hadn’t thought of it in that light.

• Sep 17, 20136:24 pm
          by Clint in Flint

I didn’t either.

• Sep 17, 20136:38 pm
        by Dan Feldman

For what it’s worth, I’m Jewish and have studied Yiddish for multiple years. (Let’s ignore the fact that I nearly failed a majority of my Yiddish classes for a moment.) It’s not the word I would have chosen, but I didn’t read it that way at all. I took it to mean as a schmuck, as in treated by the coaches as undesirable as far as a rotation spot goes.

• Sep 17, 20134:37 pm
    by Kevin

Max said this article was odd reading??  His ramblings were odd readings.  He tried to point out a grammatical error and got it wrong himself.  Anyways, keep up the good work Brady and Dan.

• Sep 17, 20139:22 pm
      by Max

I didn’t get it wrong.  Brady must have corrected what I pointed out.  That’s why Dan wrote “nevermind” after he asked his question and why Brady thanked me for the grammar check.

• Sep 18, 201311:33 am
        by Brady Fredericksen

don’t worry about it, I never made the connection you did! haha

• Sep 18, 20138:37 pm
          by Max

It’s cool.   I’m not easy to offend and I’m not offended.

• Sep 18, 20131:17 am
    by Byron

These lists are always stupid. I don’t click on them. Do a top 50 or 100 if you want, but ranking benchwarmers and unsigned free agents is pointless. No one at ESPN has any idea which second-round fourth guard is good enough to be the third guard on another team.

• Pingback

Sep 18, 201311:03 am
    by Josh Harrellson No. 388 in #NBArank

[...] Luigi Datome, Peyton Siva revealed in #NBArank [...]

• Sep 18, 20138:20 pm
    by Max

Does anyone have any insight into how these lists are created?

• Sep 18, 201310:13 pm
      by Dan Feldman

This year, we asked our ESPN Forecast panel to predict the overall level of play for each player for the upcoming NBA season. This includes both the quality and the quantity of his expected contributions, combined in one overall rating.

As the rankings are announced, you can also find them here on the pages of ESPN.com.

We started by running through the “first” 100 players on September 16, and thereafter we will count them down one at a time on Twitter, until Oct. 29, opening night in the NBA.

What is #NBArank?

#NBArank is the Twitter hashtag to use if you want to get involved in the discussion or just follow along.

You can also follow along here: @ESPNNBA

How did we rank the players?

We asked our ESPN Forecast panel to rate each player on a 0-to-10 scale, in terms of “the overall level of play for each player for the upcoming NBA season.”"