Pistons discuss contract with Jason Collins

Ramona Shelburne and Marc Stein of ESPN:

Sources stressed to ESPN.com that, while no formal offer has been made, Detroit has opened a dialogue with Collins, who in late April became the first openly gay athlete in North America’s four traditional major sports leagues.

Leaguewide interest in the veteran center has nonetheless been somewhat tepid during the first six weeks of NBA free agency, sources said

The Pistons have 14 players under contract for next season, including just two who fit seamlessly at center: Andre Drummond and Greg Monroe. Joe Dumars said the Pistons will seek to use its remaining roster spot on a big man, which makes a ton of sense. In most games, Drummond and Monroe can cover all 48 minutes between the two of them, but injuries, foul trouble and garbage time make a third center nearly a necessity.

That considered, the 7-foot, 255-pound Collins seems to be a decent fit. If Drummond and Monroe both get into foul trouble, that likely means they’re having difficulty guarding an opposing big man or two. In those situations, a defensive specialist like Collins would typically make a better replacement than an offensive-minded player.

However, Collins has been a replacement-level player most of the last several years, and he’ll turn 35 next season. He’s certainly not getting any better, which probably matters little to the win-now Pistons, but there’s a real concern he’s no longer roster-worthy at all.

Of course, none of these considerations explain why the Pistons are drawing national attention for negotiating with Collins.

Collins came out as gay last spring, becoming the first openly gay athlete in the four major sports who was at least quasi-active. The Wizards’ season had already ended at that point, but Collins’ step was courageous and monumental, and quibbling over whether he was then technically active misses the point.

Still, Collins playing in the league next year as an openly gay athlete would be another important step. Collins wearing a uniform on the benches of NBA arenas would be another important step. Collins sharing a locker room with other players would be another important step.

It would be an honor for the Pistons to play a prominent role in those historic events.

But they shouldn’t sign Collins for that reason, and I don’t think they would. Signing Collins for the publicity boost would be another, more devious, mistake, and again, I don’t think the Pistons would do that.

The Pistons should sign Collins only if they believe he’s the best player to fill their 15th roster spot, and as I wrote before, Collins might be out of the NBA next seasons for entirely basketball reasons.

I’m glad the Pistons are considering Collins, simply because he might be the best big man available. Personally, I doubt he is, but he’s at least a reasonable choice. There’s nobody else I’d say with certainty deserves the final roster spot over Collins, and I wouldn’t complain if they sign Collins.

But, in the end, the Pistons’ decision should be about basketball and nothing else. The rest will take care of itself.

• Aug 10, 20134:47 pm
    by Wall-e

I am not a fan of the whole “Jason Collins media frenzy” from this past April, since the first openly gay professional athlete was a fellow by the name of Glenn Burke who played baseball for the Dodger and the A’s in the 1970′s.  …It’s true.  Look it up.  Kinda makes ESPN and every other news outlet look stupid, huh?  But on the other hand, by not calling an end to the giant lie, tons of publicity was generated, and they all had a major headline to run.  Plus no one wanted to get labeled a hate-monger by GBLT groups.  Would signing Collins be a machiavellian publicity stunt?  I think so.  I also think the Pistons should do it no matter if he can still play or not.  After all,  there are tons of 3rd string centers who can’t play.  …but almost none that can sell jerseys.

• Aug 10, 20135:05 pm
      by Huddy

Burkes homosexuality was made public in 1982 3 years after the end of his career.

• Aug 10, 20135:18 pm
    by MrBlockedShot

Collins is one of the best remaining big guys in the market, no doubt. He has size, experience ,with good defensive skills and  most of all, he will be eager to play and prove everybody his sexual condition has nothing to with his job. I think it would be a great fit for the Pistons, full of motivation and most likely at a good price.I am all for it. This would be the signing that would round the team at the expense of what happens with Stuckey-Villanueva tandem…

• Aug 10, 20136:23 pm

Most likely at a good price?

If whoever they sign for the third C spot isn’t taking a minimum contract, they may as well just move on to the next guy off the scrap heap.

• Aug 11, 20131:51 pm
        by jamesjones_det

As long as it’s a one year deal I could care less what they pay him.  Given his age I doubt they could be talking anything more than one year with maybe a team option.

Either way as long as they don’t affect next years cap space sign him for a mil and a couple free passes to male clubs.

• Aug 11, 20131:46 am
      by Jon

hasn’t he proved he can play as a gay his whole career

• Aug 11, 20139:00 am

I guess when people talk about something to prove, they mean that he could prove that the knowledge that he is gay would not have to be a distraction for the team.

• Aug 10, 20135:20 pm
    by Slap Dog Hoops (SDH)

I doubt that Collins even wants to return to the NBA.  Look at the timing when he did it.  It was at the end of the season and his contract was expiring.  He basically had nothing to lose coming out because he was on his way out to begin with.

• Aug 10, 20135:26 pm
    by Huddy

It’s disappointing that the espn article on this is full of commenters that call
    for teams to OK a signing of a gay player because  players might be uncomfortable and because it goes against some players belief systems.  How often do you read something about “Christian” players being uncomfortable playing with an adulterer,  liar, person of another faith, or even someone who doesn’t attend church every Sunday….if there was any level of consistency in their “faith” those players would make them uncomfortable too.

Remaining FA centers are limited.  Collins is a seasoned vet, would be cheap, and focuses on defense…what more do we want out of a center in practice and limited time in games.  If there’s someone better then cool, but no one is far and away better to the point where the signing seems purely for marketing.

• Aug 10, 20136:28 pm

I don’t think the idea in such an article would be that guys feel uncomfortable playing with a gay guy because they’re Christians. More that they would feel uncomfortable sharing a locker room with a gay guy because they’re male.

I still think that would be silly, but it’s understandable. I’m sure a lot of female teams would not want to share a locker room with a straight male.

• Aug 10, 20137:07 pm
        by Huddy

I often read that it is because of a belief system.  Usually people assert that it is “unfair” to make a religious person go against their belief system and that is somehow a justification for avoiding gay players…just something I often see.

I think female players wouldn’t want an open door policy on their shower for any straight guy to have a peep show, but would hope they would trust a professional team member to not take advantage of a shared shower.  The question isn’t if a woman would like a man to see here it is if a woman would understand that a gay team mate was not in the shower to get a free show.Just because not everyone is public about it doesn’t mean there aren’t already gay people sharing a shower.  If someone has anxiety about the possibility of a gay person seeing them naked they might be the ones who need to consider avoiding the shower.

• Aug 10, 20138:42 pm

I don’t disagree with most of this. But there is a big difference in the discomfort level caused by the possibility that some random person might be checking you out and that caused by the possibility that a specific person might be doing so (even if he were not there “to get a fre show”).

It’s like the difference between the discomfort you might feel at a restaurant if there were some possibility that someone had spat in your food as there always is and the discomfort you’d feel if you had a specific reason to suspect someone may have done so. I also like this comparison because neither situation really hurts someone, it just makes him/her feel uneasy.

It’s not exactly fair either to tell people not to go to restaurants just because they don’t want anyone spitting in their food.

• Aug 10, 20139:06 pm
            by Huddy

Making unwanted sexual advances is much different than food spitting.

You could tell someone that since there is no reason to believe their food will be spat in their fear of it is baseless.

• Aug 11, 20139:11 am

I wasn’t talking about making advances, just about checking naked bodies out.

And yes, there might be no specific reason for a person to fear their food being spat in. But maybe someone working there is just a prick. Maybe they’ve had an awful day and something innocuous you did set them off. You never know.

Given the number of assholes int he world, I’d say that if you eat out enough, odds are that it happens to you at some point. The good news is that it doesn’t matter. But if you though about the fact that it might have happened, it would feel unpleasant.

How exactly is this different?

• Aug 11, 20136:31 pm
            by CityofKlompton

It’s different because there isn’t currently a massive civil rights movement with highly touted legal battles that is gaining steam in favor of or against food spitters and those who have eaten spit-in food.

• Aug 11, 201310:30 pm

And there is a massive civil rights movement for ogling in the locker room?

• Aug 12, 201312:26 am
            by CityofKlompton

No, but I think breaking down the matter simply to players feeling uneasy showering with an openly gay teammate and then further comparing the situation to something as trivial as having your food spit in undermines the gravity of the entire dilemma.

• Aug 12, 20135:12 pm

I think you overstate the gravity. I dare you to find me one person who thinks that homosexuals shouldn’t have the right to be in the NBA. That’s not the issue going on here. It’s whether what he brings to the table outweighs the potential discomfort and distraction to more important members of the team.

Again, the gravity is not very great because I doubt any teammates would revolt because the Pistons signed Collins. It really is simply a matter of whether they would feel a little less comfortable, whether that would affect their play ever so slightly, and whether that would all be worth it.

• Aug 12, 201310:18 pm
            by CityofKlompton

Aside from the potential media circus distraction, it’s hardly about the players at all.  I agree most players in the league won’t have a problem with it.  The issue lies with the fans/public.  The thought of an openly gay male athlete challenges a traditional view of masculinity.  In a realm in which homosexuality has been brushed under the rug and even downright condemned by some, an openly gay athlete could spell some serious mental dissonance for some people which could open up a whole new bag of issues to deal with.

Even though it would probably upset you to learn your food has been spit in, having it spit in is not going to be a monumental, culture-shocking event for anyone.

• Aug 11, 20135:23 am
      by Derek

@Huddy

“How often do you read something about “Christian” players being uncomfortable playing with…”

Never.  I have never read any of what you just said.  Collins is an older dude with diminishing abilities.  Of the older dudes available he still isn’t the best prospect.  Kurt Thomas coming off of an injury is older and capable of sticking the 15 footer as well as playing savy defense.  If we’re pining for old players, bring back Clockwork AKA Body AKA Big Ben.  Ben has been a better defender over his career and is probably in shape and ready to at least foul people (which is all we would get out of Collins).

• Aug 12, 201310:19 am
        by Huddy

Obviously top sites like ESPN are not writing politically incorrect articles against gays, what I was talking about is commenters.  If you go to any article like this one regarding Jason Collins on ESPN, Yahoo, etc. and look at the comments from readers (what I specifically said I was talking about) and you don’t see a rash of people specifically opposing him being signed because of his sexuality, the beliefs of team mates, or how much of a locker room distraction he is then you are blind.  This site happens to delete hateful comments, but if you really go through other articles and read comments you think you find just civilized discussion based on basketball ability?  If thats all you are concerned with then I think thats fantastic, but its a big big world out there.

I don’t see how a discussion about signing Collins so quickly turns to a comparison with Ben Wallace for everyone.  Is there any indication that Wallace is interested in being a 15th man on a roster?  Kurt Thomas wants to come join a young team that is a couple years from really contending…maybe I guess, but seems a little out of nowhere to be relevant.  If anything I might lean towards Cole Aldrich, but really it is difficult to bring another young guy in because he doesn’t add leadership and veteran knowledge and there is pressure to play him more because he has room to grow.

• Aug 12, 20135:14 pm

Do we have any reason to believe that Collins would be any more interested in playing for the Pistons than Wallace, Thomas, or whoever else?

• Al Harrington would be a solid fit with us, another big with range would be nice

• Aug 10, 20136:09 pm
    by Worm

If the Pistons are gonna sign a big guy to sit on the end of the bench, I’d rather it be Big Ben. Although I’m sure I’m not alone in that thinking.

• Aug 10, 20136:29 pm

If Ben wants the job, I hope he gets it.

• Aug 10, 20138:09 pm
        by V.

Does he want the job? Would Dumars sign him to a deal? Does anyone know?

• Aug 10, 20136:58 pm
      by gmehl

Yeah I want Ben too but I don’t think he would sign on to play garbage minutes. I think he would struggle with that role.

• Aug 10, 20136:59 pm
    by Vic

Leave the publicity stunts  for the actresses. That would definitely be a low -character moment.
    If the Warriors signed Jackson to coach just because he’s a Christian to get churches to come out to games, that would be sad.
    If they sign Collins just for the news cycle and the gay support, it would be sad.

Either way, fans deserve better.

• Aug 10, 20137:01 pm
    by Bo

Please refrain from such ignorance, Mason. There is no longer a place for that attitude in today’s society.

With that said, Collins is the BEST basketball choice remaining to fill the 3rd C spot at the end of the bench. Touch as nails defense. Something to prove. Size. Willing and eager to do the dirty work. Great teammate and locker room presence. Nobody else on the market matches that description. Sign him, Joe.

• Aug 10, 20137:06 pm
      by gmehl

Hey and we all know Collins loves the D so what better place for him to play than Detroit. Ok that was a joke in bad taste :-)

• Aug 10, 20137:28 pm
      by Bo

(NOTE: the first part of my response was to someone named Mason … he apparently deleted his post or it was deleted for him … I just didn’t want the community thinking I was talking to my invisible friend “Mason” … LOL)

• Aug 10, 201311:30 pm
      by Max

Who is Mason?   Are you responding to a comment?   Was one deleted?

• Aug 11, 201312:32 am
        by Bo

LOL … “Mason” posted some homophobic, vile puke a few times … I responded to him each time … and a few minutes after I responded to each, that post was gone … so, now I look like I’m not only talking to my imaginary friend “Mason” but that I vehemently believe in his existence. LOL (I swear he was there!)

• Aug 11, 20139:28 am

Yeah, they should really leave a “comment removed due to offensiveness” or whatever like they do with personal attacks.

• Aug 10, 20137:03 pm
    by gmehl

I’d rather a gay Collins that plays D stinking it up than a waste of space like CV taking 8.5mil a year off us. I guess you could say that CV over the course of his contract has really f**ked us up the a**.

• Aug 10, 20137:16 pm
    by Tempts4ever

The signing should be for what Collins can do to help the Pistons win and not for publicity. They already tried that with an inundation of entertainers to perform at the Palace to fill seats which I thought was a strange publicity maneuver. I more or less put Collins in the Kwame, Dalembert, Thabeet, Diop group of big men; someone, to paraphrase Rick Mahorn, who says ’I got 6 fouls and I’m using every one of them on you.’

Since Joe put this new roster together I have been leaning heavily on getting League Pass for the first time since the ’09-’10 season. However I don’t want to make the same mistake I made then which was not closely examining the preseason to see if getting League Pass was worth it. We look good on paper; but preseason will give us a good idea of what the 2013-14 regular contest will look like. This current squad makes me want to use a knee jerk reaction but I’ll wait to see what October and the first couple weeks in November looks like before I make my move on an NBA package. Go Pistons!!!

• Aug 10, 201311:21 pm
      by Anthony Jordan

I agree but I would take Dalembert out of that list. Dalembert is a pretty solid big man. Definetly not a bench warmer like the other big men.

• Aug 10, 20137:22 pm
    by Tiko

Cole Aldrich or Ben Wallace would be wiser choices.

• Aug 11, 20135:20 am
      by sebastian

Agreed, Tiko! Or even Johan Petro. Damn near anybody, other than the homosexual who deceived his fiance for those many years.

• Aug 10, 20137:30 pm
    by Bo

Seriously, Mason. Stop it. Your comments scream ignorance and bigotry. Collins fits the team’s basketball needs: the end.

• Aug 10, 20139:20 pm
      by mike

lol is your imaginary friend Mason back again?

• Aug 11, 201312:53 pm
      by stuckeyandwhoever

I don’t know how you can be so strong with your opinion that Collins fits the teams basketball needs.  But to each there own.  I think there more than a hand full of names, particularly younger names that would fit better.  And when two of their three main front court players are more strong on the defensive side why not go for a more skilled offensive player??

• Aug 10, 20139:37 pm
    by frankie d

Years ago collins would have been a great addition.  He’s been one of the league’s most underrated low post defenders for the past decade.
    Now, detroit needs to look to younger guys who might just bust out and become solid rotation guys and/or assets.
    Malcolm  Thomas would be the guy i would sign.  He is young and hungry and looks like he is ready to assume a defensive role.
    Of course i wouldnt mind big ben coning back but absent that move, thomas would be my choice.
    Detroit just needs to err on the side if young guys  now.  They have used far too many roster spots on the mcgradys and damien wilkinses.

• Aug 11, 20139:19 am

Normally, I’d agree with this. But the Pistons can’t really afford to commit money to another big man, so it is irrelevant if somebody breaks out (unless one of Monroe/Drummond/Smith gets traded, and probably one of the former two). So if some young guy makes major strides, it just helps whatever team picks him up the following year.

It’s not like surprisingly good play for maybe 200 minutes over the course of the season is going to make a big difference for the Pistons. But competence vs incompetence could make a difference, even over so few minutes. If the guy should almost never be playing anyway, then it’s the time to go for a high floor rather than a high ceiling.

• Aug 10, 201310:12 pm
    by Wall-E

None of the names being offered up as possibilities move the needle at all.  Neither Thabeet or Aldridge nor  Collins nor Diop or anyone else left out there is going to bring significant value in terms of wins over replacement.  In the end, they are all just 6 fouls.

However, one name on that list might bring with him some extra fans, attention and jersey sales, in addition to his six fouls.  I was not a big fan of the original Collins story (and I love Chik-fil-a) but this is not about my comfort level with his sexual choices but about the Pistons maximizing the return on investment.  If I am Tom Gores, I would be seriously considering this.

• Aug 10, 201311:01 pm
    by Crispus

If we were inking a big contract I would yeah, basketball only, but this is the 15th roster spot. I would be more than cool with giving up a small amount of talent to make a stride for gay rights. in 10 years nobody will remember how we passed up Cole Aldrich or didn’t call Vernon Macklin back in or whatever, they’ll remember that Jason Collins came out and the next season a forward-thinking Pistons team signed him and he played his best and generally got along with his teammates.

• Aug 10, 201311:40 pm
      by Max

The Pistons are a basketball team and not a charity or special interest lobbyist.   From a basketball standpoint, who cares what people will remember about such a story?  It’s not the Pistons job to create feel good stories or make any progressive changes that transcend basketball.   I want people to remember this team for all the wins they get and for how many rounds they win.   Anything else is totally besides the point.  The team should sign a young big man of promise.

• Aug 11, 20139:23 am

And if he fulfills that promise, then what? Unless a Monroe trade is in the works, the Pistons won’t be able to afford to re-sign him so he’ll just help some other team. That sounds more like the work of a charity. And those it’s benefiting are the competition.

• Aug 11, 20133:51 pm
          by Max

Huh?  The player could be traded.  The player could be signed to a minimum next year and break out two years from now.   Don’t get your point at all.   Will the Pistons be unable to resign Siva if they want to?   Will they be unable to resign Mitchell?   You can always sign players to minimums.

• Aug 11, 20133:59 pm
          by Max

Isn’t the team supposed to have money next summer if they renounce Charlie and Stuckey?  I don’t understand your point at all.   Even if they couldn’t resign the player, wouldn’t they be better off with the better player for this year?   Collins has absolutely no up side.

• Aug 11, 201310:37 pm

It’s not that they won’t have money next summer, it’s that it would be absurd to pay more than the minimum for your fourth big man when you have three bigs on the roster at least around all-star caliber.

And if a young guy plays like he is worth putting in the rotation, he will cost more than that. If a guy in his 30s does, he won’t. Because teams will expect the young player to keep improving.

And yes, it’s true that even being better just this season is worth something. But on average, an old guy who was just signed for x dollars will be better than a young guy who was paid the same. Why? Because it makes sense to pay more to a guy who might improve.

Any young guy with upside you could sign has an incredibly low floor (incompetence). Better in this one scenario to have the safe bet with competence for his floor than an upside guy who will most likely be useless.

• Aug 12, 20132:53 am
            by Max

I’m not just against Collins because he is old but also because he is not productive.   I’d be very happy to sign Drew Gooden.   Also, the idea that the Pistons shouldn’t pay a fourth big man is hogwash.    They are starting three of them and will optimally need a good big man or two off the bench if they are ever going to contend and they will have to pay for those big men in all probability.   A fourth big man of quality could be extremely valuable and here’s hoping the team already has him in Mitchell.   That said, a team should hedge its bets regarding prospects and always try to have someone reliable.  Collins is reliably unproductive for a veteran.

• Aug 12, 20135:46 pm

Why would they need a fourth off the bench? They may start three, but by staggering when they go to the bench, there is no reason that a fourth should ever be needed except in case of injuries or foul trouble to multiple starters. And even then, probably for only up to 10 minutes in a few games here and there (I’m not counting garbage time because, by definition, it’s irrelevant. Might as well have a min contract guy for those minutes.

So yeah, I do think it is not worthwhile to pay much money to guy who should absolutely max out at 12 mpg.

• Aug 12, 201310:24 pm
            by Max

Neither Drummond or Monroe have yet proven they can handle anything approaching 40 minutes.   There will be foul trouble and most teams do get hit with an injury now and then.   The Pistons will need a 4th solid big man in all likelihood if they are starting three to get over the hump.  They don’t have to have that player this year but they will if they are really contending.  Are you saying as of right now you wouldn’t sign Toni Mitchell to extension if he turns out to be a good player if you had already extended Monroe and Drummond down the line and everything was working?  And if he doesn’t work out are you saying you wouldn’t allocate some money for a Carl Landry type or whatever was available for 4-7 million a year?  There’s not some law or something like you can pay no more than three big men.  Which great Pistons teams didn’t have four or more big men in the rotation?  I don’t know why you’d even argue this.

• Aug 11, 20134:10 pm
        by Crispus

Here is a chance to prove that your professional sports team won’t explode if one of the players is gay. While the Pistons are not a charity or a human rights lobby, they are an example for a lot of fans and other organizations. The price of doing something good is so low here (POSSIBLY missing out on a slightly more talented utility big man) that that it should be paid. Do we really want to miss a chance to make positive sports history so we can get Donatas Motiejunas or Haseem Thabeet or some other guy?

• Aug 11, 201310:39 pm

Montejunas is available?

• Aug 10, 201311:33 pm
    by Max

I was hoping for Tolliver but I think he either just signed or is about to sign with someone else.   Collins is fine to role out in practice so Drummond and Monroe can line up together but I think Frankie D is right and the team should add a youngish player who has a chance of becoming something.   Adding Collins is a bit of a wasted opportunity in that regard.   Doing it for publicity, commerce or history isn’t keeping the eyes on the ball in my book.

• Aug 11, 20131:02 am
    by Domnick

im hoping for the younger center… not the old like collins…

• Aug 11, 20136:55 am
    by sebastian

Joe’s not stupid! The Pistons ia an organization that is on a mission to regaining NBA respectability, not some traveling circus.
    Joe will not sign the homosexual player, who deceived his fiance for those many years.
    The 15th-spot does not have to be filled, anytime soon. There is no need to have a press conference for the 15th roster spot signing.
    Heck, Johan Petro and Kyrylo Fesenk are far better than that Jason Collins dude.
    Joe will make a basketball decision, not some modern-day, mores-shift regarding sexual orientation choices.

• Aug 11, 20136:59 am
      by sebastian

*The Pistons are an organization that is on a mission to regaining NBA respectability, not some traveling circus.

• Aug 11, 20139:25 pm
        by Desolation Row

You seem to be against Collins using the same logic you claim the Pistons would be adopting if they sign him. Also, are you implying that, by signing a homosexual player, the Pistons would be a traveling circus? Just wanted to let you clear that up, because that’s what it sounds like.

• Aug 11, 20138:17 am
      by Blocks by Dre

Because NO NBA has ever deceived his fiancé right? I get that from a basketball standpoint there’s other options that makes sense but you ranting about deceiving his fiancé just shows you have more of a problem with him for non basketball reasons…get over it

• Aug 11, 20138:57 am
        by sebastian

The Pistons should be about wins and advancing in the playoffs, not promoting sodomy (oral and anal sex) rights.

• Aug 11, 20139:26 am

That’s why you hire Collins if you believe he is the best big man available for a minimum contract.

• Aug 11, 20139:22 pm
          by Desolation Row

False dilemma.

• Aug 11, 20137:29 am
    by John

I have no problem with the Pistons hiring a gay player.  I just don’t think this gay player can play.  Collins is completely inept on the offensive end of the floor and has been for years.  Defensively, he can probably still hold his own, but he’s 35 and not as spry as he used to be.  Cole Aldrich is a young player who’s actually shown some upside at both ends of the floor.  Johan Petro is a terrible finisher, put he can actually knock down 10-15 footers with some regularity.  I like them the best for the Pistons backup center job.  I also like young Henry Sims, a guy who can do two things Collins can’t: shoot and rebound.  And, of course, Ben Wallace would be a great choice for that backup center spot if he wants it.

• Aug 11, 201312:23 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

I feel like Collins is a unneeded distraction, joe has made some very good moves to upgrade this team signing Collins would take away from the “Team First” motto. as questions will circle around over and over again about how they feel about playing with an openly gay athlete.

I’d pass

• Aug 11, 20137:29 pm
    by Mike

the fact that I don’t want a gay guy on our team, an I’m a criminal? Sorry I don’t believe in homosexuality and don’t want him on our team.

• Aug 11, 201310:00 pm
      by Anthony Jordan

I look at it as basketball first then everything else isn’t really as important. Of course Collins wouldn’t be my first choice even for just  bench warmer spot but I wouldn’t be prejudice to him just because he goes against my beliefs. I don’t really like doing an analagy but in this case, what if LeBron or Kobe was openly gay. Would you still feel the same way? I’m just saying. When it comes to Deeee-troit BASKETBALL I care about the wins first and peoples private lives secondly if anything.

• Aug 11, 201310:00 pm
        by Anthony Jordan

LeBron and Kobe WERE*

• Aug 11, 201310:43 pm

You don’t believe in homosexuality? You don’t think it exists? How is this possible?

Unless you mean you think it’s wrong (which isn’t what you said). That’s your opinion and it’s fine if you hold it, but do you not want anyone on the Pistons who has ever done anything you think is wrong? Why is homosexuality a bigger no-no than say adultery? Or would you be against the Pistons hiring any adulterers?
      *note, I am making a bit of an assumption here that if you think homosexuality is wrong, you probably think the same of adultery

• Aug 12, 201310:32 am
      by Huddy

This is my favorite argument “is it so wrong that I don’t approve of it”…no one cares what you approve of and no decisions are made based on what your preferences are.  If you hate tall people or people who wear blue or long hair…all those things that don’t affect you will still be ignored in roster decisions.

• Aug 12, 201312:18 pm
        by Huddy

Not because wearing blue is comparable to being homosexual..because it is comparably not affecting you.  It really doesn’t matter how immoral anyone finds it.  There is nothing illegal about how Jason Collins lives his life and the NBA is not a religious organization…morals are not at all related to roster situations.  No one needs to convince you that it is acceptable to be gay..you just need to realize that your morals are no more important than anyone elses.  It doesn’t matter how you think the examples compare drug users, adulterers, abusive spouses, degenerate parents, suspected murders, drunk drivers….all these types of people play professional sports and no matter what your ranking for them is morally…they all get to play, even ones that actually harm individuals through abuse, assault, and drunk driving accidents.  No ones making you buy a jersey…but your beliefs aren’t going to keep anyone out of a job.

• Aug 11, 20139:33 pm
    by Desolation Row

Honestly, I say sign Collins. It’s the last spot on the roster, they need a big man, and maybe they can garner more media attention for the move which would help the team’s recognition on the national radar. Get more nationally televised games and generate some buzz. If I’m Gores owning a franchise on a small-market team, I absolutely make the move. The initial buzz alone will generate some revenue and I’m sure this team will win a lot more fans.

And, coming from the conspiracy theorist in me, I feel like Stern/Silver absolutely need Collins to be signed somewhere. Him not playing anymore would be terrible for the league’s image. So, if they’re at all trying to pull strings to get him signed somewhere, I would hope that they would be making some “arrangements” with the Pistons that will pay off later down the road. Okay, my conspiracy rant is done.

One more thing, this wouldn’t be a bad basketball move either. I think this kind of a move could really help team chemistry. Guys coming together and having their teammate’s back in situations where opponents/fans make derogatory remarks about him, it could create a more close-knit team environment. Also, Drummond and Monroe could really benefit from having a hard-working player like Collins on the roster to help mentor them. He is a legit, smart player who knows how to play physical. I don’t see the downside here.

• Aug 11, 20139:50 pm
    by Anthony Jordan

One guy that I think flies under the radar and not many people know about is Tim Ohlbrecht. He is 24, comes from Germany, plays in the d-league and has also played a little bit for the Rockets. When getting big minutes in the d-league he averaged 14 ppg and 10 rpg. I know that’s only D-league stats but we’re only talking about the 15th roster spot. Definetly worth giving a solid YOUNG  d-league big man a chance

• Aug 12, 20131:02 am
    by Mike

I think it is wrong, and liberal America is ruining our country.  This gay guy is another example of how it’s moral for two dudes with five o’clock shadows kissing now adays, and I think it’s wrong.  Everyone supports ll this because the mass media is unbelievably bias.  (im typing on my phone and it won’t let me back space, hence the poor grammar.)  Your argument of comparing homosexuals to adultery is such a poor example I’m not even gonna comment.  I miss spoke and believe it is wrong

• Aug 13, 20134:43 am
    by Ryan Kelly

Bottom line Collins is a low character bum.  Don’t need em.

• Nov 8, 20134:19 pm
    by jenson

Aw, this was an extremely nice post. Throughout idea I would like to put in writing such as this additionally – taking time along with actual work to make a very good article… but exactly what can I say… My spouse and i procrastinate a lot and by zero means seem to get something completed.

• I appreciate, lead to I discovered exactly what I was looking
    for. You’ve ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man.
    Have a nice day. Bye

• Apr 3, 201412:17 pm
    by Melba

Brilliant website a large amount of brilliant steam shower information here