Will Bynum to re-sign with Detroit Pistons on two-year, $5.75 million contract

David Aldridge of NBA.com:

Will Bynum’s deal in Detroit is for two years, $5.75 million.

Will Bynum made $3.25 million per year in his last contract, so this is a slight pay cut, which makes sense, because Bynum is now on the wrong side of 30 and relies on his athleticism to get a first step on defenders. Still, this contract is probably a little more expensive than Bynum is worth.

Jeff Teague and Brandon Jennings are definitely better players and also free agents, but they’re restricted and would be much more costly. Either of them would have pushed Brandon Knight or Rodney Stuckey to shooting guard or the bench, but Bynum slides in as a No. 2 or No. 3 point guard (depending whether Knight or Stuckey is playing shooting guard).

This move doesn’t come with the chance of making the Pistons dramatically better, like Teague and Jennings would have provided, but it also makes me very happy. Though the Pistons need better starting guards and re-signing Bynum might hinder them from getting one, I’ve grown to really like Bynum, who always plays hard and plays with a passion. If every Piston brought his mindset, they’d be better off.

All else aside, I – and most fans – want to enjoy watching our favorite team play. Josh Smith should make watching the Pistons next season more enjoyable, and so should Bynum.

• Jul 8, 201311:00 pm
    by Windy

What we have around 5 million remaining?

• Jul 8, 201311:03 pm
    by Jon

good signing.  maybe the best true pg on the roster.  i wonder if Mo can work the bonehead decisions out of him.

• Jul 8, 201311:03 pm
    by Tony J AD1 for 3!!!

$2.875 million per year. Not too shabby. I know a lot of people dislike will but he was a really good bright spot last year and he has a connection with Drummond that is special. Reasonable deal.

• Jul 8, 201311:10 pm
    by jacob

need a 3 point shooter or 2 now

• Jul 8, 201311:11 pm
    by Vince

Good deal. Cheaper than I expected after last year. Did we sign him with the Mid-Level?

• Jul 9, 20131:33 am
      by Worm

I could be wrong, but i don’t believe you can use the MLE until you’ve used your cap space.

• Jul 9, 20131:36 am
        by Vince

Mmm that would make sense.

• Jul 9, 20134:39 am
        by Dan Feldman

There is a new mid-level exception, called the “room mid-level exception,” which is for teams to use after they’ve spent their cap space. Bynum’s contract is larger than than exception, though.

• Jul 8, 201311:12 pm
    by ryan

Solid signing especially if he can stay healthy and playing hard at both ends.

• Jul 8, 201311:12 pm
    by D_S_V

Does this mean Siva is probably not going to be kept? At least I’d think his chances to make the team are lower, or perhaps there’s plans to move one of the other “combo guards”?

• Jul 8, 201311:27 pm
      by Vince

I really hope we keep Siva. Hopefully we unload Stuckey/amnesty Villanueva/trade people. Langlois hinted to a possible multiplayer deal that included Singler a few days ago but nothing has materialized…

Also if anyone gives me the overused “Villanueva is an expiring contract, we should keep him” bullshit I am going to blow a gasket. Dan/Patrick/anyone explain to me why amnestying Villanueva could hinder our team?

• Jul 9, 201312:00 am
        by gmehl

Vince I’d keep an eye on the situation in Minnesota with Ridnour and Barea. I know we just signed Bynum but you’d think 3 PGs on the roster is a must going into the new season… especially when you don’t have a really good one.

• Jul 9, 201312:21 am
          by Vince

I dunno… I rank Ridnour and Barea right below Knight and above Bynum… I’d rather get a shooter off the bench, I can’t say I know the Wolves roster all that well, is there anyone decent on it not named Love, Rubio or Pekovic?

• Jul 9, 201312:36 am
        by Tyrone

Vince, IMO, CV31 stays and plays out his contract.  I like what Joe D is doing with this team by bring in athletic players that play DEFENSE.  We need shooting in a major way to space the floor and CV31 is one of the best sharp shooters we have.  I believe that CV31 will have a great year shooting the ball from behind the arc this season with all the attention teams will be giving with in 17 feet of the rim.

I like bring back Will the Thrill and he absolutely represents DETROIT BASKETBALL, but I am some what concerned with the other guards on the roster.  I love Kim English as a person, but its now or never for his Jumper to start working.  Pope, I’m not worried about, Stuckey is a slasher and I hope that he can be traded for a big, athletic, guard who can create his own shoot and score.  Knight is a young high character player and I’m willing to give him a little more time to develop his NBA game.

• Jul 9, 20134:35 am
        by Dan Feldman

“Dan/Patrick/anyone explain to me why amnestying Villanueva could hinder our team?”

Let’s say the Pistons spend all their cap room.

Then, if the Pistons amnesty Villanueva, they could accept only up to $8,580,000 in return in a trade, which would slide into that cap room. If they don’t amnesty Villanueva, they could trade him for up to $12,970,000 in returning scenario (of course, that would also be predicated on a team willingly taking Villanueva).

That’s an unlikely scenario, though. So, yes, it’s possible, amnestying Villanueva hurts the Pistons. It’s very unlikely, though, and he should absolutely be amnestied from a team-building perspective. The only drawback is it’s expensive for Tom Gores.

• Jul 9, 20134:45 am
          by Vince

Hmm alright. Well, I think that if Gores is serious about winning now and improving the team, he should show us by amnestying Charlie. Charlie and Stuckey are the only relics of a losing culture, and not only would amnestying him get him off the team, but it would signify the start of a new era. I would be very disappointed if we start the season will CV still on the roster.

“(of course, that would also be predicated on a team willingly taking Villanueva)”

Also this ^ If we do keep him as trade bait, who on earth would want him? He is pretty terrible bait.

• Jul 9, 20139:00 am
            by I HATE FRANK

Actually We’re better off keeping Charlie, its a contract year for him, so potentially we can catch lighting in a bottle with him scoring off the bench.

He is also I best shooting Stretch 4….

His value, no matter what he does will only increase, because of the cap-space

No reason to Amenisty him, and if you dont want to play him then dont

• Jul 10, 20132:09 am
            by Dan Feldman

No reason to Amenisty him

I’m pretty sure, if the Pistons amnestied Villanueva and offered a one-year, $8.5 million contracts to free agents, they could sign a better than Villanueva. The only reason not to amnesty Villanueva is so Tom Gores can have more money.

• Jul 9, 20131:08 am
      by Matt

My hunch is Siva goes to Europe for a year or 2 and English gets released. That creates 2 more roster spots for a shooter and a backup Center.

• Jul 9, 20134:37 am
        by Dan Feldman

Unless the Pistons offer Siva a contract by September 6, they lose his rights (unless he willingly allows them to keep his rights, which sometimes happens)

• Jul 8, 201311:17 pm
    by pistons 89,90,04

7 million plus cv& Stuckey 8 mill a piece thats 16 million plus 5 million mid level which can’t be combined with the rest of the salary cap they’re still in good shape put it together joe go get rondo but do not give up moose we’ll regret it in the long run he is too young& good to let get away from us

• Jul 8, 201311:20 pm
      by Byron

There is just no possible way we could ever get Rondo without giving up Monroe or Drummond. None.

• Jul 8, 201311:30 pm
    by pistons 89,90,04

Stuck cv  2nd round plus a malcontent rondo equals he’s a piston never say never

• Jul 8, 201311:43 pm
      by Vince

Mmmm no, if you don’t want to give up Monroe, you’re more than likely looking at a trade involving Knight and one or two of Stuckey/Singler/Villanueva for Rondo and maybe a pick or a bench player like Crawford or White.

• Jul 8, 201311:46 pm
    by domnick

can we get Gary Neal?

• Jul 8, 201311:49 pm
      by jacob

I’m seeing a bigger move. Joe is serious about making the playoffs and competing.

• Jul 8, 201311:53 pm
      by Vince

We could, word in San Antonio is that they won’t pursue Gary Neal after singing Marco Belinelli, not sure how adding Neal works with our crowded backcourt though. If we don’t waive/amnesty Stuckey or Villanueva we won’t have enough roster spots for Siva and English.

• Jul 8, 201311:59 pm
        by jacob

English is gone. Looks like some more waiting games though. I’m kind of waiting for a trade to happen. I’m not to sure about rondo. Who in the hell would shoot on offense? haha

• Jul 9, 20131:27 am
          by Vince

Yeah, I’m a bit bummed out by that but the writing is on the wall, I don’t believe English will be offered a contract.  I’m really hoping on a trade, I don’t feel Joe D is finished yet (That and I don’t want CV and Stuck on the roster anymore).

• Jul 9, 20137:54 am
        by Butterscotch

I am glad to have Will back. Now,I think Pistons should go after Gary Neal.  We really need someone who can shoot the ball. I was hoping English would show big in Summer League but  he looks terrible on defense and can’t  make a shot. I like the direction the Pistons are going and I hope Joe can rid the team of Stucky and CV before next season.

• Jul 8, 201311:48 pm
    by jacob

As long as we amnesty CV. By doing that our cap goes from 5 to 12.5 mil. Still a lot of space plus always could throw Stuckeys 8 mil in a deal and make it 20.

• Jul 8, 201311:58 pm
    by Windy

Need a starting 2guard in a bad way because I can’t stomach the idea of Stuckey starting…last thing we need is stuck driving the paint and adding to the conjestion…

Who is possible to play a starting SG? Wayne Ellington? I haven’t really tried to think up trade ideas…

• Jul 9, 201312:10 am
      by jacob

I heard we were interested in Ellington. Still not sure what Joe D’s plan is.

• Jul 9, 201312:02 am
    by Windy

Kim English has given us no reason to keep him especially if he were to take up a spot over another potential target…

• Jul 9, 201312:13 am
    by Rich

You people are nuts.  This is an awful signing.  Darren Collison got less than 2 million a year.  Devin Harris got 3 mil a year.  Bynum isn’t half the player either of them is.

So he can throw a lob pass in the general vicinity of Andre Drummond.  Who couldn’t?

This was another case of Dumars overvaluing his own free agent, and giving a second year that wasn’t necessary.

• Jul 9, 201312:23 am
      by Westen Shelton

Bynum had a lot more chemistry with Drummond than even Calderon ever seemed to last year. Calderon got less reps with him, but still. It’s about the penetration and timing as much as throwing it up.

• Jul 9, 20131:34 am
      by frankie d

can’t argue that the price is not a bvit steep, considering what other comparable players have received.
      bynum’s price should be closer to collison’s than harris’.
      however, i’ve always liked bynum, warts and all.  on a good team, imho, he would have much greater value.  on detroit, it is easier to regret what he does not do very well.
      glad they brought him back and i don’t think his contribution can be summed up by talking about lobs to drummond.  doing that well is not as simple or as easy as it is made out to be.
      for instance, why hasn’t anyone other than chris paul been able to exploit tyson chandler’s rimrattling lob catching?
      bynum has a real chemistry with drummond, and i give joe credit for recognizing it and not fiddling with it.

• Jul 9, 201310:50 am
      by Huddy

Collison commands less from the Clippers because they are a legitimate contender and his production was up and down last year.  Collison and Harris were not statistically better than Bynum at all.  Harris and Bynum averaged basically the same numbers with Harris playing 5 more mpg and Collison averaged 3 more ppg and 1.5 more apg in 10 more minutes than Bynum.  None of them are better than 35% 3p shooters and the only thing that stands out amongst the group is Collison’s age…but he hasn’t improved year to year.

What about those players make Bynum “half the player” they are?

• Jul 9, 201312:29 am
    by joe

or just trade Stuckey, CV and Singler or Jerebko with a couple seconds round for Rudy Gay. Rudy Gay is the key to making everybody better on the team because his scoring can take a lot of pressure off Knight and Pope.

• Jul 9, 20137:46 am
      by acr

I’m not sure if I agree that Gay should be the trade target, but I do agree that some (if not all) of the 4 players that you mentioned (CV, Stuckey, Jerebko, and Singler) will be traded for a SG or a PG – and definitely for someone who can shoot.

• Jul 9, 201312:31 am
    by I HATE FRANK

I said it before and I’ll say it again…

Logically you are not going to give up on a 21 year out PG, for another PG with flaws who will not make the pIstons MUCH BETTER!

Dumars will only bench Knight or trade him for a HUGE upgrade at the PG position…. if the Pistons trade for Rondo … They are confident with Knight at PG its pretty clear

• Jul 9, 20131:14 am
      by Vince

Yeah from what I’ve heard around the web, Joe Dumars is still very high on Knight and that he will be the starting PG to start off the season, I don’t see him trading Knight unless it is for a notable upgrade.

• Jul 9, 20137:51 am
        by I HATE FRANK

The arguements for Teague have been way over blown, from my understanding he has recieved little interest from other teams.  when we’ve seen several pg”s pursued and signed ahead of him.

I’d rather stick with Knight until further notice

• Jul 9, 20139:18 am
          by Vince

I’m not that high on Teague to be honest, I’d much rather get Aaron Brooks, Nate Robinson or Greivis Vasquez.

• Jul 9, 201310:58 am
          by Huddy

Barely any Restricted Free Agents have been pursued…the PGs signed before him have been unrestricted.  Teams wait out RFAs to see what their own teams are willing to pay them or if their teams fill the position with other players, which drives down the cost.  You are entitled to your opinion about Teague, but I wouldn’t base it on who is pursuing him in FA.

• Jul 9, 201312:44 am
    by Ryan Kelly

The devin Harris signing makes me ill.   He is twice as good as Bynum for a few dollars more.  Ridiculous.   If playoffs are the goal a big upgrade is needed at the sg spot.  free agent or trade something’s gotta give.

• Jul 9, 20131:01 am
      by jacob

Idk about twice as good. His stats are the same as will’s in 7 more min per game.

• Jul 9, 20138:34 am
        by I HATE FRANK

exactly..he is not the player he use to be

• Jul 9, 20131:01 am
    by Tyrone

A trade is in the works, this I believe…

Looking at the number of signed players, dept at each position, draft picks, multiple expiring contracts, a mid level exception, and a little cash to spend, all points to another big move in the works…

• Jul 9, 20131:03 am
      by jacob

thinking the same thing and it’s probably going to be and unexpected one.

• Jul 9, 20131:39 am
        by Vince

Chris Paul for Charlie Villanueva and a second round pick.

• Jul 9, 20131:49 am
    by George

Why did Joe not use up the 8 mill of cap space on a legitimate free agent/absorption in trade and THEN use the 2.5 million dollar exception to re-sign Bynum?

• Jul 9, 20131:56 am
    by Travis

And what free agent do you propose we blow 8 mil on?

• Jul 9, 20132:19 am
      by jacob

I would rather use the rest of the space in a trade and amnesty Charlie V. If not then just use it on a shooter like Ellington.

• Jul 9, 20132:36 am
    by domnick

trade for Jeremy Lin and get Gary neal… that should work!

• Jul 9, 20132:50 am
      by mike

I’d take Lin over Knight in a second right now. I don’t trust Knight at PG.

• Jul 9, 20138:06 am
        by Butterscotch

And you trust Jeremy Lin??? The guy who watched his team struggle from the bench in the playoffs when he played for  NY and in Houston with minor injuries.  He is weak. I would much rather have Brandon.  Lin has no heart.  Why do you think Houston want to get rid of him?  I hope Joe wants no part of him.  I do like Gary Neal though.

• Jul 9, 20132:49 am
    by mike

Coming back with the same PG group that didn’t work last year and banking on Brandon Knight making a complete 180 seems awfully risky for GM trying needing to win to keep his job. There has to be trades coming for a better solution at PG. This isn’t going to work as is no matter how great our frontcourt.

• Jul 9, 20133:12 am
    by joe

Before the Pistons get rid of Stuckey and CV, I wouldn’t mind the Pistons signing a back up shooting guard and a back up center from these two list.

SG:                     Center:
    Gerald Henderson    Samuel Dalembert
    Corey Brewer          Brandan Wright
    Alan Anderson         BJ Mullen
    Gary Neal              Greg Oden
    Wesley Johnson       Henry Sims
    Nick Young             Robert Sacre

My choice’s would be Wesley Johnson because he can play the 2&3 and Robert Sacre, because he can run the floor like Drummond so the Piston’s pace would never slow down.

• Jul 9, 20134:08 am
      by Vince

Mmm Brewer and Johnson might fit more within the team, but I really like Gary Neal.  Center wise, Sacre and Mullens are my favorites out of that group.

To be honest though I don’t think we need any of these players.

• Jul 9, 20133:20 am
    by ffz

lol you guys gotta realize we shouldn’t go and amnesty cv this year because more likely than not once his contract expires we are goin to have to resign greg Monroe with that money and then a year or twoafter that we gotta resign andre drummond you guys aren’t thinking long term if we spend all our money on people this year there won’t be any money to resign either greg or andre

• Jul 9, 20134:31 am
      by Vince

So uh yeah, lets keep CV… who is owed another 8M… who literally can’t do sh*t… who will be stealing minutes from better players… who is a complete and utter disappointment.. shall I go on?

Also, just because we amnesty CV doesn’t mean we can’t resign Moose or Drummond, I’m not sure if you are aware of this, but there are things called one-year contracts, which work kinda like CV, except they’re usually cheaper and the player is a lot better and whaddaya know! The player lasts only a year and frees up cash for the next year to re-sign other players (Eg: Moose).

Furthermore, amnestying CV doesn’t mean we’re going to spend all the cap space, it just means we get rid of that useless bum and don’t need to care about him for the rest of our lives. Also, amnestying Villanueva doesn’t mean we can’t resign Dre or Moose, just fyi, Bynum’s contract finishes in 2 years, as does Jerebko’s and Singler’s – about 8.5M off the books. Not to mention Singler, Middleton (Team Option), Stuckey and Slava’s contracts end next year as well (~20M).

So yeah. Try and find another excuse. I’m all ears.

• Jul 9, 20135:44 am
        by ffz

im just saying besides not many people want 1 year deals because they want security with their jobs, and okay were probably going to spend about 14 mil on each dre and moose most likely, so with our big 3 of smoove , dre, and moose, that’s already about 42 million dollars of cap space and we still have other roster spots to fill im just saying we should just wait for next year because next years free agent class is loaded, I would love to amnesty him but with that money we can somebody pretty good but no one is 8 million good on the market now and I doubt that we are going to sign 2 players because we already have 12 not counting the draft picks soo yeah im just stating my opinion everyone has a different perspective

• Jul 9, 20138:06 am
        by I HATE FRANK

charlie and Stuckey will have more value, if we keep them on the roster…

1. first they are capable players no matter what you think about them…

2. as the trade deadline get closer, there value goes up…they become wildcards for trades and 3 way deals…

Thats worth more than having a Wesley Johnson or Nick Young on the team

• Jul 9, 20138:10 am
          by Butterscotch

I agree with you 100%.  There is a reason Nick Young keep getting bounced around.  We gotta be patient.  It aint over!!

• Jul 9, 20138:41 am
        by Jeremy

First, how is CV stealing minutes from anyone? He averaged nearly 16 minutes per last year and that’s only in 69 games out of the possible 82. By comparison, Jonas is playing the same position, averaging just over 18 minutes per game and putting up similar numbers to CV. Take it to the next level and you have Maxiell getting just under 25 minutes per game and putting up similar scoring numbers to CV and only averaging 2 more rebounds per – did I mention he started most of the season? The only other big on the team last year that got more playing time than Maxiell was Monroe.

The argument can actually be made that CV is more efficient and effective in the minutes that he played vs. the starter at his position. The numbers back that up. CV’s per 36 minutes projections on basketball-reference.com for last season have him at 15.4pts and 7.9 boards. They also give him a 0.069 win shares rating. Maxiell’s per 36 minutes projections for last season have him as a 10pt 8.2 board guy with a 0.047 win shares rating. NBA.com’s advanced statistics point to the same trend. CV’s +/- is a -1.3, his player impact estimate (player’s overall statistical contribution against the total statistics in games they play in) is 9.1%, his offensive rating (pts scored per 100 possessions while he is on the court) is 103.9, and his defensive rating (pts allowed per 100 possessions while he is on the court) is 107.7. Maxiell’s +/- is a -2.6, his player impact estimate is a 7%, his offensive rating is 98.4, and his defensive rating is 104.5. Finally, since this is blog is part of the TrueHoop network on ESPN, CV’s Hollinger PER rating is 14.08 and Maxiell’s is a 11.30.
        It’s fairly obvious from the paragraph above that CV was better than his starting colleague. The question has always been, is CV worth the money ($8.5 this year) that he has been paid. The first step to answering that would be to look at all the players who earned $8 mil or so last year and compare all the numbers above to that. Since I don’t know where a database exists that lists of all the NBA’s salaries, we can’t do that. I will make the argument that the team got more out of CV in 16 minutes per game than they got out of Maxiell in 25 minutes per game, and that is as expected if you look the difference in pay ($8 mil or so vs. $5 mil or so). You want to get what your paying for with CV? Play him more and the projections are that he will deliver.

From the business side of things, why would Gores pay CV $8.5 mil to just go away and open up an additional $8.5 mil that would be spent? That’s at the most $17 mil out of Gores’s pocket vs. $8.5 mil of letting CV play the deal out or the $12 mil or so that Dan pointed out could be taken back in a trade involving CV. That’s just smart business right there. On top of that, you’re actually rewarding CV by amnestying him because you’re giving him $8.5 mil to disappear and assuming he clears waivers, he is able to sign with whatever team he wants and for whatever they want to pay him unless the team was over the cap, in which case he would get the vets minimum. He would be walking away with more income than he would have been if you just kept him. IF a team actually bid on him during the waiver process, he would go to the highest bidder and what they bid for his services is what they pay on that $8.5 with the rest being paid by the original team. Amnestying him could actually be putting him in a position to win a ring if a playoff team needs a stretch 4 for limited minutes. If you’re actually that vindictive against CV, you’d want him to suffer another year in Detroit taking over Maggette’s spot on the bench.

• Jul 9, 20133:31 am
    by thetruth

After this signing of will how cap space does that leave the team for this off season?

• Jul 9, 201312:27 pm
    by Jason

The one player I would like the pistons to look at is Anthony Morrow, he is a deadeye shooter with decent size. his defensive issues could easily be covered up by our bigs. Not to mention he probably will come cheap. I am willing to give Knight the chance to show he can handle the point, he just needs another shooter with him on the court.

Also, I am sort of intrigued by Luigi Datome…though I wouldn’t have minded seeing him play with Mario Chalmers

• Jul 9, 201312:54 pm
    by Jack56

So we signed: gigi datome thoughts?

• Jul 9, 20135:18 pm
    by BooG

I like that we re-signed Bynum. I hope we sign another big man to add to the frontcourt rotation. And I think we need 2 more shooters/athletic wings.

• Jul 10, 20131:56 am
    by FutureMogul

PG: W. Bynum 22mins/ B. Knight 13mins/ Billups 13mins
    SG: Rudy Gay 23mins/ KCP 12mins/ B.Knight 10mins/ Luigi Datome 3mins
    SF: J.Smith 25mins/ Rudy Gay 8mins/ Luigi Datome 12mins/ KCP 3mins
    PF: G.Monroe 25mins/ J.Smith 10mins/ J.Maxiel 13mins
    C: Drummond 28mins/ G.Monroe 12mins/ Jerebko 8mins

Pistons still have even more qualified bench contributors that didnt even make this list:
    LAST SEASON K.Singler avg 28mins, K.Middleton avg 17mins, C. Maggette avg 14min. Roster competion is at an all-time high for Pistons as Maxiel avg 25mins, Jerbko avg 18min Last Year

Expect Drummond, Datome and KCP minutes to increase as season goes on.
    Main/ 3pt TriggerMen: Billups, Datome, Knight
    Pistons stills wont be good 3pt team, but will have many Free Throws & Dunks & Rebounds
    In 2-3 years pistons will either be East Title contending or a team with a lot of Young Assets & Cap Space