Will Bynum signing leaves about $5 million in cap room, little roster space

After signing Will Bynum to a two-year, $5.75 million contract, the Pistons have about $5 million in cap space, as reflected in the updated salary chart.

The Pistons will also have the room mid-level exception, which begins at $2,652,000, to use on a free agent. Unfortunately, if Bynum’s deal is accurately reported, that exception won’t go to him, because the two-year maximum is $5,423,340. Quite possibly, the Pistons were competing with a team that offered it and had to best that number.

Just as restricting, the Pistons now have 12 players under contract for next season plus their three 2013 draft picks. With a roster limit of 15, the Pistons have few reasonable options if they want to add a player with that cap space (which they should):

• Jul 9, 20135:10 am
    by greg

I just dont get this signing…sure a point guard was needed but we also need threats from downtown if smith at small forward should work out…collison could have pushed knight to earn the starting job or even nate robinson would have been better then bynum a not much more expensive…jeff teague would habe been nice too

• Jul 9, 20136:42 am
      by Vince

Agreed, I was hoping we would go after Aaron Brooks or Robinson but I’m still happy we re-signed Will, he had great chemistry with Dre last season and played really well.

• Jul 9, 20139:12 am
      by Delano

Will Bynum is a true poin guard and in my opinion the best PG on the roster. Him and Andre Drummund chemistry together was better then calderon, stuckey, knight and anyone else.Collison decided to go back with his old teammate CP3. This was the best option for us. Especially if you have been watching summer league. Siva has not been looking good and Luscious from michigan state is playing better than he is. Good signing

• Jul 9, 201311:37 am
      by Huddy

What about Collison makes him seem like he is good enough to compete for a starting job.

• Jul 9, 20136:38 am
    by Hook Shot

They should have let Krataov walk. He is a stiff. Speights signed by Warriors. Need depth at front court. I bet Middleton gets minutes at the 2

• Jul 9, 20136:45 am
      by Vince

Byron Mullens is still available, decent stretch-5 who can get signed for cheap. I’d prefer JaJuan Johnson or Ivan Johnson though. I like Slava though, I reckon he could be a decent backup this season.

• Jul 9, 20139:28 am
        by Keith

I wouldn’t sign Mullens even for cheap. He has a stretch 5 reputation, but his production doesn’t actually match. For his career he has has 40% of his shots and 30% of his threes. Given he is an atrocious defender and below average rebounder, I’m not sure what he brings to the table that CV doesn’t.

I liked JaJuan Johnson coming out of college, but he hasn’t really translated. He was a decent rebounder in the D-league, but his offense has been non-existant both with the Celtics and in the D-league.

• Jul 9, 20139:34 am
          by Vince

Well with Sheed now on the coaching staff, I’d imagine he’d help Mullens hone his skills/JaJuan with his jumper. They’re not ideal backups, I had Landry and Speights as the top choices in FA but they’re gone, there aren’t really that many decent bigmen left on the market.

• Jul 9, 20139:56 am
            by Keith

My point is just that we already have Villanueva as our stretch big. Neither Mullens nor Johnson (both of whom are already in their mid-20s) stretch the floor better than CV. I just don’t see a point in picking up players with limited upside to fill a role we already have taken care of. Now, if there was an actually high end big man shooter out there, I’d be on board, but that simply isn’t who Mullens or Johnson actually are.

• Jul 9, 201310:14 am
            by Vince

Fair enough man, I’m just throwing out names and scenarios.

• Jul 9, 201311:00 am

“I just don’t see a point in picking up players with limited upside to fill a role we already have taken care of.”

Because it would open up cap space to amnesty CV. And that could be used to sign a FA or to gain an asset in a midseason trade.

• Jul 9, 201311:02 am

*Because amnestying CV would open up cap space.

My use of passive voice made the statement unclear.

• Jul 9, 201311:25 am
            by Keith

That’s true, Tarsier. But we can amnesty Charlie at any time. Moreover, none of those players actually shoot that well. I wouldn’t sign Mullens even if we didn’t have Charlie. If we need cap space, we know where we can get it. If we need salary ballast, we need not jump the gun.

• Jul 9, 201311:54 am

That’s not true, Keith. The Pistons can only amnesty CV before July 16.

• Jul 9, 201311:56 am

*through July 16

But I still have hope that they will do it. As they don’t have the opportunity to do so until tomorrow. The amnesty only has a one week window.

• Jul 9, 20131:07 pm
            by Keith

Yeesh, I totally missed that part of the amnesty. In that case, yeah, amnesty Villanueva. Cap space ultimately has more value than an expiring contract – and I certainly wouldn’t mind lumping that in with our current 5 million to make a run at Teague.

• Jul 9, 20136:55 am
    by Some Dude

They can still trade the expiring contracts of Stuckey and CV for one good/needed player. Or amnesty CV and just trade Stuckey. Pretty sure Joe D isn’t even close to finished adjusting the roster.

• Jul 9, 20138:01 am
      by RyanK

You stole my post.

I would guess Joe is looking for  a sharpshooting small forward (assuming Middleton isn’t ready) and a veteran PG.  Stuckey and CV will likely not be here at the start of the season.

Bynum is here, but I absolutely can’t be the only one who’s tired of seeing him take all the shots down the stretch of a tight game.  He’s had a few big games doing it, but he fails doing it 8 out of 10 times.  Run a play damnit!  Enough of the Bynum one on one with a low percentage no daylight look at the rim.

• Jul 9, 20138:03 am
    by ryan

Now is a good time to chill and see what happens. We ought to be able to get a good deal in the months to come if we’re patient.

• Jul 9, 20138:33 am
      by gmehl

Yep. I say sit tight and let them come to us begging to do a deal so they can avoid paying huge tax. They all know how much cap room we have or could have so its only a matter of time a team has to get rid of someone. The key is getting the right one and not just settling for anyone’s scraps. If English is let go I wouldn’t mind if Luke Rindour was brought in. Siva looks like he might get sent to Europe or the not signed at all so Rinod our could be a good get.

• Jul 9, 20138:48 am
    by ryan

I’d like to see us sign Peyton Siva.

• Jul 9, 20138:54 am
    by mbennett

i personally think that Siva looks worse than he really is in summer league so far because of the lack of talent around him.  English and Middelton both have struggled in my opinion and when u start Mitchell and Kratsov together like yesterday with Drummond sitting that really hurts siva.  on our actual team he wont play much with the Bynum signing but i think he could be our 3rd PG in case of injury and to let him continue to develop, his speed hands and defense are nice characteristics for a backup PG.

I really feel like we should let English go he just doesn’t seem confident and would just get in the way of Pope’s improvement.  Even Pope is struggling i see him turning it around before summer league is over and becoming our best player at SL along with Drummond.

As far as Stuckey and Charlie V iIwould love to see us shed one of them personally shipping out Stuckey would be best for us going forward.  Charlie V gives us outside shooting off bench from a big guy which we dont get from anyone else. Stuckey on the other hand can easily be replaced through a collection of the players we have and i dont think his game will work alongside the big men we have such as Monroe, Smith, and Drummond

• Jul 9, 201311:48 am
      by Huddy

Every summer league roster is full of suspect players, not just Siva’s.  The only positive thing anyone has to say about him is that he plays with a lot of heart and he is a “quick tenacious defender” how useful of  a player is even ever really going to be?  He can annoy opposing PGs for 5-10 minutes a night?  Everyone points to Lindsey Hunter, but that is really this guys ceiling.  PGs are only getting bigger and stronger so for all the Trey Burke haters out there how is a 6′ flat guy with a shorter wingspan supposed to be a defensive revelation?  Can’t shoot, not a floor general…just an undersized scrapper.

• Jul 9, 201312:42 pm
        by CityofKlompton

Thank you! Enough with banking on late second rounders to be rotational cogs! Take the blinders off….

• Jul 9, 20138:55 am
    by mbennett

I would have loved to get Jeff Teague but it’s sounding like he is going to Milwaukee plus i think he wanted more than we could have offered to a restricted free agent

• Jul 9, 20139:33 am
      by Keith

I would love to see us try to work out a sign and trade for him. If we send back a little salary, we can skirt around the cap space. For example, if we sent back Knight (who is more valuable to Atlanta than Milwaukee would offer), we could afford a full 8 million starting salary for Teague. I don’t know what Milwaukee is willing to pay him, but I can’t imagine it is much more than that.

• Jul 9, 201312:43 pm

But why give up Knight? Why not just amnesty CV and give Teague an offer straight up? If Dumars then decides he doesn’t want Knight, he should be able to get at least a late first rounder for him.

• Jul 9, 20131:31 pm
          by Keith

Offer Knight so that Atlanta decides against matching. If we give Teague a reasonable contract (7-8 per year), Atlanta will surely match it. I don’t want to throw 10 million at a guy who wouldn’t be a star just because Atlanta will match otherwise. Offer Teague 7-8, then if he accepts immediately get on the phone with Atlanta and gauge their interest in a sign and trade. Knight provides some actual value so they seriously consider it.

If we don’t offer Knight, and actually sign Teague to an offer sheet, Atlanta will match and he couldn’t be traded until next year.

• Jul 9, 20131:39 pm

That’s fair, I can see that. Still gotta see whether Teague would be willing to sign the offer sheet. But as I’ve stated repeatedly, it’s always worth it to inquire.

• Jul 9, 20132:03 pm
            by I HATE FRANK

LOL LET IT GO!

• Jul 11, 20139:50 am

It may not accomplish anything, but I refuse to let go of my demands for competency from the Pistons’ GM.

• Jul 9, 20139:09 am
    by deusXango

The logical odd men out are Stuckey, Jerebko, and English. No one wants Villanueva, and the mention of his name sours any deal that might fly, and to amnesty him at this point is bad business. Stuckey and Jerebko represent a nice player (contract wise) and they’re both young enough to be plugged into an evolving team; those two and $1 million should be hard to look away from at the trade table, and there’s also the possibility of a multi-team deal. English just hasn’t shown enough to take up a roster spot; maybe later.

Joe D doesn’t have to be in a rush; Smith hasn’t put pen to paper yet, the team hasn’t been in the gym with Cheeks yet, there are so many unknowns yet to be uncovered, and the next move should be based on what the team needs at that point.

• Jul 9, 201310:31 am
      by Tyrone

I would think that Stuckey and Jerebko would be good trade bate for a few teams.  Who knows we may even be able to get a good guard in return.

• Jul 9, 20139:29 am
    by ryan

The words Smith hasn’t put pen to paper yet are so sweet. If only somehow he would change his mind I’d be elated. Ah a man can dream.

• Jul 9, 201311:03 am
      by Mark

So you think Singler is a better option at the 3 spot then?

• Jul 10, 20132:11 am
      by Dan Feldman

“Seriously though I’d like to see us try to help Kim English get work in Europe in a situation where we could retain his rights and potentially bring him back if he develops. I think that would be good for him and very possibly good for us too.”

It doesn’t work that way. If the Pistons waive English, regardless of where he plays next season, he becomes an NBA free agent.

• Jul 9, 201310:17 am
    by jacob

Looks like Knight is gonna get another shot at PG.

• Jul 9, 201310:24 am

I don’t like this move. I love Bynum, but there are already two backup caliber PGs on the roster in Stuckey and Knight. Why grab a third. Especially when the Pistons have more money than this and there are still lots of better players left in FA.

• Jul 9, 201310:55 am
    by Jens

The Problem is Teague is RFA, which means, if you don´t overpay you have no shot at signing away. With Brandon Jennings it would hae been too much of an explosive mix. Smith, Jennings, Stuckey…mixed with the very Young Drummond hmmm…………

I could even imagine Will Bynum snatching the starting PG spot from Knight. Bynum is just the better Player as a PG. But we desperately Need a Long term solution for the PG spot.

• Jul 9, 201311:29 am

So offer him the max that you want him for and let Atlanta decide whether to match. At least you clear up the uncertainty.

• Jul 9, 201312:31 pm
        by KaBa

Yeah, that could work unless Atlanta is talking really with Bucks about a Jennings-Teague swap. I still would rather go after Dragic, but I don’t know what the Pistons could offer the Suns. I heard the talk about playing Bledsoe and Dragic together but I just don’t see that really work. Bledsoe is going to demend the starting PG role and Dragic would be terrible as a SG. So the talk is a try of keeping Dragics value as high as possible.

• Jul 9, 201312:37 pm

Doesn’t matter what they’re talking about. The Pistons can offer Teague a contract either way. he might not accept. But it’s at least worth pursuing.

• Jul 9, 201312:51 pm
            by KaBa

If he would say yes they would probably need to amnesty CV now that they signed Gigi.

• Jul 9, 20131:41 pm

True. but they’d need to amnesty CV either way to offer him enough dollars to accept. Teague wasn’t going to sign for under $5M/yr.

• Jul 9, 20132:06 pm
            by I HATE FRANK

Why make a offer for a player you want?

• Jul 9, 20134:12 pm

Why make an offer for a player you want? Really? Are you asking that?

So that you might get him.

• Jul 9, 201311:07 am
    by Jens

They also Need another wing athlete. Right now I only see Pope and Stuckey on the roster who remotely fit that description. Corey Brewer is up for grabs. Whenever a trade Comes up the following week, there still is the Chance to amnesty Charlie to get it done.

• Jul 9, 201311:21 am
    by Domnick

A trade for linsanity

• Jul 9, 201311:48 am

Not a fan of this idea. He is way overpaid on the back end of the deal. I’d rather get Jennings (who I’m not a big fan of).

• Jul 9, 201311:30 am
    by Josh

I think knight will become a good PG just because look at our coach. Cheeks transformed westbrook from a SG in UCLA to a top point in the NBA. I say Siva signs as extra but needs to get better in scoring.

• Jul 9, 201311:49 am

What is the basis for giving Cheeks the credit for Westbrook? Durant also got a lot better while he was there. Is that on him too?

• Jul 9, 201311:38 am
    by joe

This would be great, if this was the Pistons opening line up. Trade Stuckey, CV, Singler for Rudy Gay, and sign Wesley Johnson and Robert Sacre for cheap. This would give the Pistons a good idea of what tweak’s to make to this roster by the trade deadline.

Knight        Bynum       Siva
    Gay           KCP           Johnson
    Smith         Middleton
    Monroe        Jerebko     Mitchell
    Drummond   Sacre        Kravtsov

• Jul 9, 201311:51 am

Gay is not a 2, Smith is not a 3, Knight is probably not a 1.

• Jul 9, 201311:51 am
    by jacob

Italian forward Luigi “Gigi” Datome has announced via Facebook that he has decided to sign with the Pistons (hat tip to Emiliano Carchia of Sportando). It’s not clear what the terms of the agreement are, but Vincent Ellis of the Detroit Free Press says the news is “legit,” and suggests a two-year deal is likely (Twitter links). Here’s Datome’s Facebook post, translated to English via Google Translate:
    “I decided to become a player for the Detroit Pistons. I think it may be the right place for me to make a quantum leap in my career and to fulfill the dream of a lifetime. I am very excited to join the group of players in Detroit. I want to thank my family, the President Toti, all Virtus Roma and with it his fans for their continued support and wish to Virtus the best for the future.”
    Datome, 25, has spent the last several seasons playing for Virtus Roma in Italy. In 48 games during the 2012/13 season, the small forward averaged 16.4 PPG, 5.6 RPG, and shot 51.5% from the field, earning MVP honors in the Italian League.
    Even after reaching agreements with Josh Smith and Will Bynum, the Pistons should still have some room under the cap, so I’d expect Datome to be signed using a portion of that space, rather than on a minimum-salary deal.

• Jul 9, 201311:55 am
    by Roscoe

• Jul 9, 201311:58 am
      by jacob

He shot 42 % on 3′s last year and like 93% ft’s.

• Jul 9, 201312:26 pm
      by acr

wow, that came out of left field!  sounds like some other teams were interested too – interest from both boston and san antonio makes me feel good about signing him.  hope he makes the transition to the nba and can contribute some shooting…

• Jul 9, 20131:14 pm
      by koz

King Kong

• Jul 9, 201312:13 pm
    by RyanK

The “best shooter in Europe” was signed by the pistons today.  I don’t know what to make of it yet.  Here’s his draft profile: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Luigi-Datome-263/

• Jul 9, 201312:20 pm
    by Hook Shot

I think some of us are overvaluing Jerebko. He is a good hustle player, overpaid, with no jump shot. Time is running out. I agree no one wants cv31 especially with his attitude. Give Wesley Johnson or Ellington a ring. If worse comes to worse start Stuckey at the point. I hope he is somewhere practicing his J.

• Jul 9, 201312:25 pm
    by Hook Shot

This Datome sounds like a scrub. His 2009 profile does not sound promising. If he can’t create his own shot he is no good to us. this is not an impressive selection.

• Jul 9, 201312:42 pm
    by Hook Shot

You tube highlights leave me hopeful. Plus he was MVP. I did not realize so many other teams were after him. He has got hops, can shoot, looks fearless. Can’t be Detroit signed him.

• Jul 9, 201312:48 pm
    by Hook Shot

I here you Tarsier but the owner has the last say. CV31 needs to go. He appears lazy, unmotivated, and never worked hard to improve his game. I’m sure Gores wants him to try to earn his check other than giving him a free ride out of here.

• Jul 9, 20131:43 pm

That’s true, and I may overestimate Dumars’ clout. But I’m assuming that if he told Gores that amnestying CV was really far and away the best basketball move, he could bring him around.

• Jul 9, 201312:56 pm
    by Jens

This is a very good and very surprising pickup. And it is bad News for Kyle Singler and Kris Middleton. There´s definitively not a roster spot for all of Dantome, Singler AND Middleton.

Dantome is almost 100% a Walter Herrmann clone. Same skillset. As I´ve always liked Herrmann and as I always felt he should have played a Little more I like this signing as well.

But please, please, let´s do something about PG. We cannot go into the third consecutive season with “I´m the best for Detroit PG Brandon Knight”

• Jul 9, 20131:13 pm
      by KaBa

Middleton is a better shooter, but Singler is overall a better player who can play SG or SF. Middleton will have to fight his way into rotation.

• Jul 9, 20131:02 pm
    by jamesjones_det

We signed Gigi Datome as well.  2 years 3.5 million.

• Jul 9, 20131:43 pm
    by Corey

Sadly, I now fear they plan to play CV 20+ minutes a night at PF to space out the floor. That way a lineup with Drummond or Monroe at C, with Josh Smith at SF, could have a stretch 4 to add shooting. This would make sense with a minutes distribution like:

C: Drummond 30 min, Monroe 18 min
    PF: Monroe 17 min, CV 20 min, Mitchell or JJ 11 min
    SF: Smith 35 min, Singler or Middleton 13 min

Amnestying CV appeals to me so strongly, but they really need a stretch four to make Smith work as a 3. I’d rather they just platoon Drummond, Monroe, and Smith at the 4 and 5, with CV amnestied, but I don’t think it’s happening.

• Jul 9, 20132:07 pm
    by danny

Why don’t always have to play all your best players at the same time.  You can have monroe start at the 5 with smith at the 4.  Then drummond can sub in and we can alternate and keep running the rotation like that.  Certain line ups will dictate who plays more and what position they play.

• Jul 9, 20132:08 pm
      by danny

Sorry change Why don’t to “You don’t”

• Jul 9, 20132:13 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Watching Summer League … Pope has come alive… like said he is streaky and today he is on

• Jul 9, 20133:22 pm
    by Al

Updates on todays summer league game??

• Jul 10, 20131:54 am
    by FutureMogul

PG: W. Bynum 22mins/ B. Knight 13mins/ Billups 13mins
    SG: Rudy Gay 23mins/ KCP 12mins/ B.Knight 10mins/ Luigi Datome 3mins
    SF: J.Smith 25mins/ Rudy Gay 8mins/ Luigi Datome 12mins/ KCP 3mins
    PF: G.Monroe 25mins/ J.Smith 10mins/ J.Maxiel 13mins
    C: Drummond 28mins/ G.Monroe 12mins/ Jerebko 8mins

Pistons still have even more qualified bench contributors that didnt even make this list:
    LAST SEASON K.Singler avg 28mins, K.Middleton avg 17mins, C. Maggette avg 14min. Roster competion is at an all-time high for Pistons as Maxiel avg 25mins, Jerbko avg 18min Last Year

Expect Drummond, Datome and KCP minutes to increase as season goes on.
    Main/ 3pt TriggerMen: Billups, Datome, Knight
    Pistons stills wont be good 3pt team, but will have many Free Throws & Dunks & Rebounds
    In 2-3 years pistons will either be East Title contending or a team with a lot of Young Assets & Cap Space