Tom Gores and Joe Dumars clean up in pool against Pistons players

Tom Gores in a Q&A with Vince Ellis of the Detroit Free Press:

Q: You mentioned earlier that you had the draft picks over to your Birmingham condo (Friday night). (Dumars, assistant general manager George David, Andre Drummond and Khris Middleton also were there). Tell us about the scene and the chemistry you see growing among the young players.

A: That’s exactly what’s happening is we’re getting a real chemistry that’s happening. We’ve seen it all over the league that you can pull players together, but they don’t have a chemistry and they don’t understand each other and they don’t have the ability to hang out on some level then just putting them on the floor doesn’t mean you’re going to win. We’re making a lot of progress on that. (Friday), I welcomed (the rookies) to Detroit and let them know that I respected the fact that they’re here and as an owner I want to make sure they’re taken care of for however long they’re here. All three of the draft picks are very nice guys, very collected. I was very happy to meet them and spend time with them. We really just hung out. We played a little pool. In fact Joe and I teamed up on a couple of the guys and beat them. We had some nice games. It was a pretty easy-going night, nothing too serious. They had a few friends with them. Kentavious (Caldwell-Pope), for example, had his old youth coach from seventh-grade or something like that. He’s real nice guy and we talked about principles and values and work ethic and what it takes to be successful. We talked about a little bit of my background growing up in Flint and growing up with nothing and what it takes to be successful and get successful. I also, other than winning a championship and being owner of the team, I want to make sure I give our players, our guys, on what it takes to be successful. That’s kind of the mood that we had. We went anywhere from basketball to Detroit to what it takes to be successful. We also let them know that we’re going to work them hard. The day that we’re not working them hard is the day we don’t believe. It was a pretty exciting mood. It was a pretty special night, actually.”

Q: You and Joe took them down that bad?

A: We did, actually. We were undefeated. It was a good time.

Alright, Josh and Iggy, you two against Gores and Dumars in a game of pool. If you win, max contracts for both of you. If they win, you each accept four-year, $40 million deals. (This would be where I desperately hope whichever Pistons players went against Gores and Dumars weren’t just letting their bosses win.)

• Jul 2, 20136:47 am
    by Domnick

are we really going to get them both to Detroit? i mean is it possible? why is it not noisy?

• Jul 2, 20137:17 am
    by Terrell

We will not end up with either. With no trade buzz surrounding monroe smith is not a fit. Maybe iggy but there arr way more attractive situations. I vote for them to just be a salary dump spot this season. Try get a 2014 pick from houston for taking their salaries. Because there is only one howard and who ever miss the chance on him between thses teams dumping players, will be in the lottery next draft! Getting a pick from the mavs.

• Jul 2, 20137:58 am
      by Jeremy

I would be willing to put a dollar or two on Josh Smith signing in Detroit. He can give you minutes at the 3 and pairing him at the 4 with Drummond could quite possibly make for the best defensive front court in the NBA. There are so many things that we as fans don’t know. Does the front office still think that they need to take it slow with Drummond? If so, do you start him? For all of us fans, the answer is a resounding yes. For the front office though, I don’t know what the answer to that is. Maybe the idea is to go Smith and Monroe starting with Drummond your first player/big off the bench. Maybe the idea is to go Smith at the 3 with Monroe and Drummond and then a SF is your first player off the bench to replace Monroe or Drummond and then Smith moves to the 4.

Another possibility is Joe finally sees that this team has a few players with value that he can slang in hopes of filling holes/getting multiple players in return/taking a dollar and splitting it into two different investments instead of one and hoping that those investments themselves grow into a dollar. I don’t think Joe is looking to move Monroe at this point, but I think signing Smith would make him more willing to listen to offers.

This team is finally doing their due diligence when it comes to bringing new guys in. Joe D was knocking down BG and CV’s door the minute free agency opened up and they had deals 5 minutes later. This go around it seems as though they are looking at everyone out there and with all the guys they’ve been rumored to have met with, not one has actually been offered a deal yet. I think they are going to get it right this time around.

There has been a crazy polarization between the fans on who this team should target. Dan, you should do a poll/free agent target board like you did with the draft. It’d be interesting to see where the other fans rank potential free agent targets.

• Jul 2, 20139:15 am

“With no trade buzz surrounding monroe smith is not a fit.”

Monroe is highly tradable. but there’s no point shopping him unless his replacement is already in Detroit. Good way to alienate a player. So right now there should be no trade buzz. I’m just hoping that if Dumars does sign Smith, he then at least looks hard at some Monroe trades.

Also, Detroit trades rarely generate buzz. Iverson-Billups came out of nowhere. The Calderon trade was long talked about but not really in conjunction with Detroit. n these boards we were saying that Dumars should do it, but I saw nothing else indicating it would happen.

One of the things I still appreciate abut Dumars is how good he is at not showing his cards.

• Jul 2, 20138:32 am
    by AYC

I like how KCP had his youth coach with him and not some entourage type.  Bodes well for his character and mindset going forward.

• Jul 2, 20139:22 am

Great, another “character” guy. Don’t get me wrong, I’d rather the players Detroit employs have strong character. But I would really rather that the first thing that comes to mind about the player be his character, in a positive or negative manner.

• Jul 2, 201310:30 am
        by STILL BELIEVE IN BK

Im assuming for the second part you meant talent right?

• Jul 2, 201310:49 am

Close enough. I accidentally left out a “not”. That really does change the meaning.

• Jul 2, 201310:49 am

*I meant “not be his character”

• Jul 2, 201311:41 am
    by zdh

Why is everyone so ready to trade Monroe? I’m not sure of any team out there that has a player that would greatly improve the Pistons roster in the place of Monroe. We have two potentially great bigs, why would we give up on that so quickly. Even if Josh Smith does sign here, they should still keep Monroe.

• Jul 2, 201312:28 pm

Because it would rarely be a good idea to have all three of Monroe, Drumond, and Smith on the floor together. And because Monroe will soon be getting a big raise that might make him overpaid.

I wouldn’t complain about a fantastic 3 big rotation. But then one of them has to come off the bench. And it would make sense to at least explore if another player who is a better fit would be available.

• Jul 2, 201312:40 pm
        by MIKEYDE248

Not sure that would really be an upgrade to bring in Josh Smith for Monroe.  Monroe is much younger and we still don’t know what his ceiling is.  With Josh Smith, we know what we will get from him.  Their stats are very close in almost everything except 3 point shooting, but I would say that’s more of a plus for Monroe, because Smith takes way to many 3′s for being as bad at it as he is.  Smith is the better defender, but we haven’t really seen how Monroe will be when he finally has some help, playing along side of Drummond.

• Jul 2, 20132:04 pm

The point isn’t that Smith would be an upgrade over Monroe. The point is you could have Smith plus whoever you trade Monroe for.

• Jul 2, 20137:39 pm
            by Filo Putz

This makes zero sense. Sign somone else then. The best scenario, the one that will upgrade the Pistons the most is signing Smith and playing him at the SF and also slotting him in when Monroe or Drummond go to the bench.  Your Scenario only works if they trade for a player of equal or better value as Monroe. Who? At his intrinsic value (talent, position, age) it would be hard to get equal value…

• Jul 2, 201312:42 pm
        by zdh

But I’m not sure there are any players out there that work with Monroe’s current salary, or even if you stick Stuckey or someone with a higher salary that would be worth it over Monroe. And they wouldnt necessarily have to stick one on the bench, it could at least be experimented with. Even if they did, we currently dont have any backups besides Mitchell, and who knows how he will perform in the NBA.

• Jul 2, 20137:03 pm
        by Filo Putz

You don’t get Josh Smith’s game.

• Jul 2, 20131:42 pm
      by Otis

Why trade Monroe? 1) He’s slow footed, soft, and can’t shoot. This makes for a bad power forward, especially paired with a center who can’t spread the floor either. If we had no other options at center, I’d live with him, but we have a better and much cheaper guy locked up long-term. 2) He’s only inexpensive until next summer, then he’s due for a 5 year $80 million extension. I flat-out don’t want to pay him that under any circumstances. 3) He is a tremendous trade chip. Whoever gets him this season gets 16 efficient points, 9 rebounds and 4 assists out of the center position (because they’re not going to play him at PF) for $4 million, and they can decide what to do with him (extend him, trade him, qualifying offer), but you sure as hell aren’t trading him to a team with an established center.

I was thrilled to get him in the draft, and I enjoyed him until Drummond came along. But if they aren’t DOMINANT together (and I’ve seen no evidence whatsoever that they ever will be) you can’t afford to have so much of your assets tied into two guys who play the same position and don’t complement each other.

• Jul 2, 20137:22 pm
        by Filo Putz

He was forced to play out of position when he got here. His fit position is the 4.Where are you going to find a 16-9 power forward to replace him?

• Jul 2, 201312:32 pm
    by prerich

Keep Monroe – if we sign Smith, cool – but keep Monroe!!!! He’s a passing big man and at times makes up for our lapses at PG. With Smith at the 3 and Moose and Dre, one of the most dangerous front line in the NBA.

• Jul 2, 20137:24 pm
      by Filo Putz

I’m with ya. Don’t get those who want to get rid of the best young PF in the league.