Seven positives and three negatives about Josh Smith, the Pistons’ top free agent target

Josh Smith is reportedly the Pistons’ top free-agent target, so let’s get to know the player Joe Dumars covets most.

Positives

In no particular order:

1. Josh Smith is really good. In his best season, Smith had 9.3 win shares – a total only Chauncey Billups, Ben Wallace, Tayshaun Prince and Grant Hill have posted as Pistons since the Bad Boys. Smith’s career year came four years ago, but at age 27, hopefully his best days aren’t behind him.

2. See No. 1. Smith would immediately join Greg Monroe and Andre Drummond in the discussion for the Pistons’ best player. For a team so bereft of talent in the last few years, this is such a big deal, it deserves two spots on this list.

3. Smith’s contributions are very diverse. He averaged 17.5 points, 8.4 rebounds and 4.2 assists per game last season. LeBron James, Kevin Garnett, Pau Gasol, Chris Webber, Lamar Odom, Antoine Walker and Karl Malone are the only other players with a 17-8-4 season in the last 15 years.

4. Defensively, Smith has always done a bit of everything. Only Hakeem Olajuwon and David Robinson have career block-per-game and steal-per-game averages as high as Smith. It’s nice Smith amasses so many steals and blocks, but they alone mean only so much. Those stats are indicative of an all-around defender. Smith allowed less than a point per play last season in every MySynergySports category he defended at least 20 times: isolation, pick-and-roll ball handler, post-up, pick-and-roll man, spot-up, off screen and handoff. Smith’s defensive versatility would be particularly valuable to the Pistons, who lack reliable defenders on the perimeter and in the paint. Smith has the talent to help, game to game, wherever they need it most.

5. Smith is an underrated passer. He led power forwards with 4.2 assists per game last season, and even if he plays more small forward in Detroit, his passing projects well. LeBron James, Nicolas Batum, Paul Pierce, Kevin Durant and Evan Turner were the only forwards – power or small – to average more assists per game.

6. When active, Smith scores well on cuts in the halfcourt offense. He might not have the jumper to space the floor ideally with Monroe and Drummond – Smith has never shot even league-average on 3-pointers – but Smith’s ability to make strong cuts would help space the floor.

7. He cares about the community. Ramona Shelburne of ESPN:

Atlanta means a lot to Smith. He sponsors AAU and high school teams all over the city, paid for the living expenses for the family of Rajaan Bennett — a star football player from his high school who was murdered before he could play at Vanderbilt University — and hosts a Thanksgiving dinner every year for My Sister’s House, a shelter for women and families affected by domestic abuse.

"Sometimes I feel like my tithe to the church is being able to give back to my community," he said. "I grew up in poverty. I wasn’t a rich kid. My dad drove trucks, 18-wheelers.

"My mom had callouses on her hands from doing hair and using the curling irons. My dad used to unload the truck himself just to try and get extra money to buy me shoes. I had one pair of shoes, this pair of navy blue Converse he bought me. And I had to wear them with all my outfits at school and then turn around and play basketball in ‘em.

"So you know, I learned to appreciate the little things."

Negatives

In no particular order:

1. Smith takes too many long 2s, the worst shot in basketball. That, in itself, is problematic. The issue becomes much more troubling considering he shoots very, very poorly on those attempts (and really all jumpers). Smith’s 3.9 2-point shots from at least 15 feet per game ranked 39th in the NBA last season, but only Glen Davis converted a worse percentage of those looks among the top 100 (!) of such attempts per game. Smith stopped shooting 3-pointers – he’s a career 28.3 percent shooter from beyond the arc – in 2009-10, when he took just seven, but he followed that with a then career-high 154 3-point attempts the following year. He topped that with 201 attempts last season. Smith’s penchant for both taking and missing jumpers, especially long 2s, is so extreme, it threatens to undermine all the good in his game.

2. Smith’s free-throw shooting has been erratic. He shot a career-best 72.5 percent in 2010-11, followed with a below-career-average 63.0 percent and then shot a career-worst 51.7 percent last season.

3. Smith can be temperamental and difficult. The Hawks suspended him one game in January for a practice incident. He drew a two-game suspension in 2007 for cursing at then-Atlanta coach Mike Woodson. To his credit, Smith quickly admitted he was wrong in that case. I don’t get the sense Smith is a bad guy, just that his focus on keeping a cool head comes and goes. That same trait shows itself during games, when Smith’s effort and intensity can also come and go.

• Jul 5, 20131:52 pm
    by Satch

To solve the issue with a 3, couldn’t Detroit offer to take on RJ and/or biedrins and Harrison Barnes for basically nothing? We’d have our future 3 and still have tons of cap space next year… Both of the badcontracts for the Dubs are expiring…

• Jul 5, 20131:58 pm

The Pistons could offer. But I don’t know if the Warriors would accept.

• Jul 5, 20132:39 pm
      by JB

I was thinking about this sort of scenario when I read that the Warriors have to dump salary in order to may a play for Howard.
      It seems that a number of teams want to get either Klay Thompson or Harrison Barnes in return for taking on one of the bad expiring contracts. Warriors, understandably, are hesitant.
      The first team to willing to accept a future 1st round pick along with one of the bad contracts (instead of Barnes or Thompson) will probably undercut the Pistons or anyone else who still has the cap space to make it work.
      At that price, it’s a tough call to take a playoff team’s first round pick. But, with ours in jeopardy next year, it might be worth it to get another first round pick in what is deemed a deep draft.
      I do like that it keeps us flexible for next off-season.

• Jul 5, 20131:56 pm

I’m all for signing Smith at any price tag at which he could still easily be moved for expiring deals. That’s probably up to about $13.5M annually. That way, the risk in minimal.

• Jul 5, 20132:46 pm
      by oats

That’s about right the number I could handle. I would want him at about $12 million, but $13.5 is not too bad. I just don’t think he signs for that little to play in Detroit. I’m betting he gets at least $15 million from someone, and I am not interested in him at that kind of salary.

• Jul 5, 20133:30 pm

Agreed. If someone gives him that contract, best of luck to him and them. I’d be very ready to walk away.

• Jul 5, 20133:14 pm
      by mike

I agree. As long as he brings that same production here, there’s no reason to be worried about giving him a big contract, because his production will always make it easily moveable to another team, if need be. Teams will trade for players on 14 mil/yr deals, if said player avg 18/8/4.

Honestly, when you combine that production with what he brings on defense, I never got the talk about him not being worth around a max deal.

I wouldn’t give him THE max, but you look at the league and guys like Tyson Chandler and Roy Hibbert get 15 mil/yr just because of their impact on defense. Smith gives you that same impact AND he’s an even bigger impact player on offense, so why is he not worth 13-15 mil/yr?

And if you are willing to give him 13.5 mil, but not 15 mil, is it really worth giving up everything he brings just to save 1,5 mil? What are you going to do with that 1.5 mil that’s so important you keep it over giving it to Smith? Just think of it as a signing bonus, or bad team tax for choosing us over other better options he could take.

• Jul 5, 20133:34 pm

The point is that giving him $13.5M already makes me uncomfortable. Yes, you can make the argument that what’s another $1.5M? But then you can make that argument 4 more times and say he is worth $21M annually, which he definitely is not.

No matter how you slice it, at some point you hit a number where you won’t go any higher, even 1 more dollar. Because if you will go a dollar higher, tack it on and then ask again if you will give him another dollar. And again and again and again.

Being willing to sign him at $13.5M includes all of my qualms about being a bad team or whatever else you want to say.

• Jul 5, 20131:57 pm
    by koz

Better athlete than antoine walker but similar negatives

• Jul 5, 20133:16 pm
      by mike

Oh, you mean how he makes 100x the impact of Walker on defense? Those similar negatives…?

c’mon man

• Jul 5, 20132:01 pm
    by Quick Darshan

The only way I see this working is if Monroe and Drummond play 36 each and Josh Smith plays 24 minutes at Power Forward.

Smith’s other 12 minutes would come at SF, but he’d have to be on the court with Monroe and Jerebko (or Villanueva) so there’s at least some semblance of spacing.

• Jul 5, 20132:36 pm
      by RyanK

The more I think about it, the more I think it could work.  It would make for a traditional lineup and I think Joe D would have to go into with the idea he may have to trade one of the big names of the group to find pieces the compliment each other.

I’m looking forward to seeing Drummond, Pope and the others on Sunday.  Drummond will hopefully be more aggressive…hopefully he’s been working on a move in the post.  A high hook, a spin move.

I’m old school…the first 5 players are run for the big man to get him excited and into the game.     If Drummond feeds off that energy grabbing boards and protecting the paint there’s no better way to start the game.

• Jul 5, 20132:38 pm
        by RyanK

Wouldn’t be a traditional line up

first 5 plays are run for the big man.

• Jul 5, 20133:27 pm
      by mike

@ quick..You are just now figuring this out?

If people actually listened to what was initially reported when this talk of Smith first started, instead of automatically dismissing the idea from the start, that was exactly what the Pistons said they planned to do.

Use him at both SF/PF.

I don’t think I ever read anyone say they were signing him to be a full-time SF. Drummond and Moose are never going to play more than 35 mpg at their size. That leaves 26 min left up front that needs to be filled somehow. Smith can fill most of it. And while he might not be a true SF, as long as he’s capable of guarding SFs, which he is, then he’s capable of starting each half at SF for a measley 6 min each. Anyone who thinks Smith at SF for 12 min/gm is going to be our downfall is kidding themselves.

In fact, imo Smith at SF to start games is exactly what we need. If you think back to all those games vs Carmelo and Durant where they just destroyed right from the start, and we had no answer. Smith gives us a premier defender at SF to start games to stop that from ever happening again.

If we can’t get any of these reported trades done, we need to spend what it takes to get Smith, and at least come away something big out of this offseason. We can always work trades later with our expiring contracts and young assets to fill other needs.

For instance, if we sign Smith, and offer Monroe to Boston for Rondo, I bet not only Ainge is interested but Rondo pushes for the trade too, as he said he wants to play with Smith.

A Drummond/Rondo/Smith would be a pretty nice Big 3 to build around to say the least.

We need to make sure we sign Smith first to have any chance of that happening though, whatever the cost.

• Jul 5, 20134:08 pm
        by jerrific

Drummond, Rondo, and Smith would certainly make for a nice defensive big three, but I could see them running into problems on offense. Those three bring no shooting to the table,  teams could expose them by overloading the paint similar to what the spurs did to the heat.

Not saying i wouldn’t welcome having those three together,  it would certainly represent an upgrade over our current situation. But unless Drummond develops into a dominant offensive force,  i have a hard time seeing those three forming a championship core.

• Jul 5, 20132:26 pm
    by Theoneandonlyhahah

One thing to say to jd stop talking and start doing

• Jul 5, 20132:29 pm
    by danny

Does anyone else think he can play the the 4 everytime moose or drummond sits?  We could slide moose over to the five and just slot smith in off the bench, or vice versa.  Don’t know if they would be up for that move but it can be done.  Remember lamar odom when he cam off the bench and was the 6th man for the lakers.   A lot of ppl said that wouldn’t work and it did.
    He has the ability to defend and pass which is amazing.  He can guard pretty much anyone on the floor at all times and push the fast break.  I don’t care that he his horrible at the line a lot of ppl are and hopefully he improves on that.  I think people forget he can play off ball and a lot of his shot selection is based on that not too many ppl in atl could do much.  He just needs a coach that will be able to get him to follow the game plan.

• Jul 5, 20133:24 pm
      by frankie d

That issue is one of the reasons cheeks would be the worst possible coach for smith.  Cheeks’ portland teams were notorious for not following plans.  In fact, cheeks typically does not demand much offensive discipline and structure, as he typically gives his players wide latitude offensively as long as they defend.
      Josh smith with a green light on offense would severely hamper a detroit team  supposedly built around two bigs.

• Jul 5, 20133:33 pm
        by mike

That was 10 yrs ago and Cheeks was a rookie at coaching. You can’t assume the same will occur here.

• Jul 5, 20134:01 pm
          by frankie d

Coaches rarely change their stripes.
          Sure they hopefully grow as they learn and mature but i have seen no evidence that he has changed such a fundamental part of his approach.
          In fact , in the gores interview with a local paper gores specifically stated that cheeks was not a big discipline guy, which fits exactly what cheeks has always been as a head coach.
          While “discipline” can mean lots of things, saying he is not a big discipline guy kind of concedes that cheeks will run the same type if loose ship he has always run.

• Jul 5, 20133:00 pm
    by Brigs

I wouldn’t mind signing smith and seeing how it works out. if it doesn’t we could always make trade. I also would love if the plan was to sign smith and then see what we could for moose, I’m sure their would be plenty of teams interested in him. Who knows maybe we can get rondo for moose and a couple other peices and the have a lineup of rondo bk singler smith and Drummond. that to me is definetly a placoffe caliber starting 5 and I know singler isn’t great but he’s solid and can hit the

• Jul 5, 20133:00 pm
    by jay

At first I was all for iggy being the pistons number 1 choice but as I look at the big picture.. Smith is the better option. Because of his versatility. And he gIves us more options going forward.  1St . Smith can play the 3 against most NBA lineups but I do believe the 4 is his better position… 2nd . It gives us the option to have a valuable trade piece in Monroe. Iwould take a gamble on a Rondo for Monroe deal…  so with that Said I hope he picks Detroit n we sign him to 4 year deal between 50-55 million.  Go pistons

• Jul 5, 20133:25 pm
    by Vic

No thanks. We need smart leaders as veterans (Jose and Iggy).
    Our soon to be all-star talent (Drummond, monroe, tony Mitchell, Kcp) will develop the right way around them.

• Jul 5, 20133:30 pm
      by Vic

Josh Smith would not fit in Detroit, short or long term. He’d be a perfect fit for Dallas and LA though. Perfect complement to Pau or Dirk.

• Jul 5, 20133:35 pm
      by mike

If you ignore signing proven all-star talents because you’re banking on Tony Mitchell and Caldwell becoming all-stars, I’m glad you aren’t our GM.

• Jul 5, 20133:26 pm
    by Pimp Zombie

If he could add a legit corner 3 to his game, he’d be a monster and the pistons are a top 4 eastern squad.

• Jul 5, 20133:39 pm

Smith is the perfect guy to have in video games. Because you can control him and prevent him from shooting long jumpers.

Maybe we could offer him $15M/yr with a “shock collar clause” that mandates he wear something to zap him every time he takes a bad shot.

• Jul 5, 20134:02 pm
      by CityofKlompton

Haha, I’ll take that deal.

• Jul 5, 20133:41 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

You guys are killing me

• Jul 5, 20134:03 pm
    by Doug

all this talk is pointless he will not play for detroit no matter what we pay as soon as howard decides where he will sign the teams like dallas the lakers or even houston will pick him up and pay him what he is worth hell we cant even get guys that are on our roster to resign smh only way we get better in detroit is with the draft and trades

• Jul 5, 20134:11 pm

and you know this how?

I can see the fit in Houston. Why would Dallas be more attractive than Detroit besides the minor Texas savings? And the Lakers can’t sign him.

• Jul 5, 20137:44 pm
        by Otis

I gotta say, I took it as pretty good news that Dwight chose Houston. I know he wants to play with Smith, and maybe Houston can make that happen… but if Houston didn’t get Dwight, I feel like they would have had the best chance of landing Smith. For the record, I think, overrated or not, he’s exactly what the Pistons need among options that are reasonably within reach. This team needs to be legitimized, it needs to be more dynamic and athletic, and guys who are capable of dominating at least for stretches. We have two legitimate starters on the roster, and they’re both centers. The team needs immediate improvement, or else the pick we send Charlotte is going to be devastating. Next year would be the first year where fans would be CHEERING for unnecessary wins. Think about it.

Also as a skeptic about the compatibility of Drummond and Monroe, if it doesn’t work out, Smith makes for a pretty ideal backup plan. Moose at center will cost us $80 mil over the next five years. Smith won’t cost as much, and trading Moose on his rookie contract would certainly get us a PGOTF or a SFOTF to complement Smith and Drummond. I don’t see why anyone thinks we can or should just sit on this flexibility. This useless flexibility cost us a first round pick that’s going to HURT if we stay in the range where we are right now. We need to get much better or much worse in a hurry, and since Joe is making the calls, “much worse” is absolutely out of the question.

• Jul 5, 20134:10 pm
    by ffz

we should try to get harrison barnes if the warriors dont get dwight because the warriors got iguodala to sign with them and now harrison barnes is expendable to them.

• Jul 5, 20134:38 pm
      by Jon

more like david lee is expendable. barnes was at his best with golden state at the 4 during the playoffs so im assuming adding iggy means they want to see more of him at the 4. although iggy won’t be cheap and they already have lots of big contracts so if they need to make space for iggy, taking barnes and one of their expensive guys might work

• Jul 5, 20134:23 pm
    by Doug

if he wanted to we would have signed him already why would he come here to most likely play out of his natural spot at the 3 we dont even have a point guard he is looking at his last big contract really think he wants to play for a lottery team

• Jul 5, 20134:49 pm
      by ToddM

Offering Smith the opportunity to play the 3 is actually a PLUS to signing him — that’s what Smith wants.

Problem is, he sucks at it because he can’t shoot and somehow doesn’t know it.

• Jul 5, 201310:30 pm
        by Max

Rodman was once a pretty good 3 for the Pistons who shot a lot worse than Smith.

• Jul 5, 20134:43 pm
    by Jack56

Iggy is now off the market too!

• Jul 5, 20134:57 pm
    by ToddM

To me, the best thing to do with our cap space is to make some small moves.  Iggy is gone, Josh Smith isn’t a particularly good fit.

If we can facilitate others in their signings by taking expirings for prospects or picks (we should have been heavy in Golden State’s process), that makes sense.  We keep our pick in a great draft if it’s 8th or higher, after all, and if this team’s youngsters aren’t playoff competitive by 2014-2015, we’re in trouble anyway.

Sure. not making the playoffs this year will make Gores mad and get Joe D fired, but is that really a bad thing at this point??

• Jul 5, 20137:50 pm
      by Otis

Think about what you’re saying. You think Dumars is going to take expirings and picks?? If he did that, he knows he won’t be around to make those picks. It might actually be the best option for the team right now, unfortunately, but Joe’s more interested in Joe than in the team. If there’s no immediate improvement, he will be fired. This is a fact. So all Joe cares about is immediate results (really it’s all he’s cared about for the past half decade, but more now than ever), because he won’t get the chance after this season. His contract is up. This is reason alone why I wouldn’t let him make any decisions anymore. But he is getting the chance to, and there’s no sense pretending he’s not.

• Jul 6, 20139:49 am

“unfortunately, but Joe’s more interested in Joe than in the team”

You say this based on what? I unfortunately find Dumars to be an incompetent GM. But I have no reason to believe he is less than a class act.

• Jul 5, 20134:57 pm
    by ToddM

• Jul 5, 20134:58 pm
      by ToddM

Sorry for the double post.  Don’t see a way to kill it.

• Jul 5, 20135:06 pm
      by Edgar

Totally agree. This should have been the strategy from the beginning, but Dumars was feeling too much pressure to think past July.

• Jul 5, 20135:04 pm
    by Edgar

This is turning into a nightmare for Dumars. He made a seemingly obvious mistake: overestimating his purchasing power by underestimating how much competition he would have and how aggressive they would be. He also underestimated the desire a lot of these blue chip guys have to play with each other. And, while he’s been waiting for the dominos to fall, we’ve missed out on several high-quality, moderately priced wings that would’ve represented at least minor upgrades: Belinelli, Budinger, Mayo, Korver, etc. I doubt Smith signs with us. I doubt Calderon wants to come back now that there’s no shot at Iggy. The only thing Dumars can do now is trade yet another first-rounder to TOR for the right to overpay Rudy Gay. Awesome.

• Jul 5, 20136:14 pm
      by Otis

Let’s not forget his obvious and completely inexcusable and indefensible mistake of trading away a first round pick in order to have this UTTERLY USELESS flexibility a season earlier (yay!)… Boy was that trade a turd from the moment it happened. When is the last time a team in the death throes of a miserably failed rebuild with no end in sight, going nowhere and having literally nothing in the way of assets besides draft picks, give up a future first round pick without GETTING something that’s likely to catapult them into at least the next tier? My guess is that it’s literally never happened, but if ever, it wasn’t to unload ONE EXTRA YEAR of a bad deal. A desperate, horrible, selfish trade that put us in this very position. And with an option to amnesty… There is no credible argument that can be made for Joe Dumars to still have this job. Nobody should coast for eternity on accomplishments that are a decade old.

• Jul 5, 20136:47 pm
        by D_S_V

“Let’s not forget his obvious and completely inexcusable and indefensible mistake of trading away a first round pick in order to have this UTTERLY USELESS flexibility a season earlier (yay!)”

It hurts more and more every day.

• Jul 5, 20136:52 pm
        by Edgar

It’s just awful. Couldn’t Dumars see how many teams were positioning themselves to have significant cap space for 2013? And that most of the top talent available were either poor fits or would have better options than DET available? Couldn’t he have anticipated that Josh Smith would be more interested in playing with Howard than in joining a rebuild in DET? Was all this not apparent to him before he pulled the trigger on the Gordon trade? If not, he sucks at his job. Which he does.

• Jul 5, 20135:12 pm
    by Eric

Anyone else think Joe Dumars is putting on show to visit all the top free agents, so he can an at least say he tried.  Igouodala signed with the Warriors for 12 million a year.  I hope Josh Smith signs with the Pistons.  Otherwise we have to hope for a trade or sign some mid level free agents like Paul Milsap, Corey Brewer or others.

• Jul 5, 20135:14 pm
    by piro4pistons

Aminu is still on the market.  I really think Joe should take a long look at him.

• Jul 5, 20135:23 pm
      by jacob

how well does he shoot?

• Jul 5, 20135:34 pm
      by Russell C

I agree. he doesn’t shoot well but he defends, rebounds, can run the floor and guard two or three positions

• Jul 5, 20135:21 pm
    by Edgar

DAL is out of the Howard sweepstakes. I bet they swoop in on Josh Smith and/or Calderon now.

• Jul 5, 20135:22 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Iggy off the Market

• Jul 5, 20135:37 pm
    by Desolation Row

Iguodola to GS. He was my favorite FA. Dumars, don’t mess this up.

• Jul 5, 20136:55 pm
    by haydzzz

Iggy gone, josh smith likely to go to houston, yay dumars!

• Jul 5, 20136:59 pm
    by Domnick

Dh12 to rockets….. Joe d.. Its time for trades!

• Jul 5, 20137:09 pm
    by Max

Well, you can all be happy now.  There’s nothing left and the Pistons will be just good enough to lose the pick and not good enough to make the playoffs.  You can all rejoice.

• Jul 5, 20137:26 pm

+1 million

Pistons have to have the weirdest fanbase in all of sports. They get pissed anytime we are linked to a big time player, and excited anytime a marginal role player becomes available.

WTF?

• Jul 5, 20137:56 pm
        by I HATE FRANK

I agree… every major FA that we had a chance to sign got ripped apart! …. Tyreke … Iggy … Josh …

But get excited about Jarrett Jack, Brandon Wright, and Kyle Kover ….LOL

Smh

• Jul 5, 20138:59 pm
          by Keith

Fans are loathe to realize this, but the vast majority of Free Agents make almost no discernible impact on the teams they sign with, at least not a positive one. There’s a reason the best players almost never get to free agency unless their team is terrible around them. Keep in mind, Sacramento could have matched ANY offer to Tyreke, but instead traded him for Greivis Vasquez. Sacramento (a team just as bad as the Pistons) would rather have a passer who can’t score efficiently or defend than Tyreke Evans, doesn’t exactly scream confidence in his abilities.

• Jul 5, 201310:33 pm
            by Max

What nonsense.   I’m no fan of Tyreke but they took a while to let Evans go even though they are paying Thornton a lot of money and just drafted McLemore.   Now Evans should be looked at as strictly a two guard and so should Evans and McLemore so it just made no sense for them to sign him.  It has nothing to do with their confidence in him or his talent level.

• Jul 5, 201310:57 pm
            by Keith

So you are saying a team devoid of talent or structure was willing to let a great player walk away because they happened to get a rookie who plays the same position? Get real. Sacramento knew Evans wasn’t worth the money New Orleans offered, and decided to get something out of their leverage. If he was worth the money, they would have kept him. If he was worth the money, they would have matched just to get a better trade in the future. The ONLY reason Sacramento should have done this instead of matching is if they knew he wasn’t worth the money and knew he wouldn’t continue to have trade value at that contract.

That’s basic business. If you have an asset, and have all the leverage on the future of that asset, you don’t simply let it go for the first deal that comes along. Tyreke was about to become a poisonous contract at 11 million per year, and Sacramento gave him away because of it.

• Jul 5, 201311:03 pm
            by Max

2 out of Sac’s 3 biggest pieces are two guards.    What sense would it make to invest a lot of money in a third?   And McLemore is probably the most talented player in the entire draft.

• Jul 5, 201311:58 pm
            by Keith

McLemore is a complete unknown. Most draftniks felt Sacramento would be the worst possible situation because he has a lot of growing up to do and Sacramento has had zero success in helping players mature. Even if that wasn’t the case, you don’t dump a known star for an unknown rookie (unless that rookie is a can’t miss superstar of course – which McLemore isn’t in the slightest).

Why not try playing them together? Tyreke is supposed to be this super versatile wing that can play the 1-3, so why would any one rookie make him obsolete? Isn’t this exactly what we are doing with Monroe and Drummond, both primarily centers?

There are only two realistic ways to view this deal. You either think Sacramento is run by idiots who traded a high quality player for pennies on the dollar, or you think Sacramento let Tyreke go because he’s not nearly as good as some fans posit. Now I am not saying Sacramento is smart, there’s little evidence to make that suggestion. But even dumb teams won’t trade away a star without serious financial or off-court issues forcing their hand. Sacramento has no financial problems to speak of at more than 10 million below the cap floor. Tyreke has gotten some speeding tickets, but never done anything so bad that a team would have no choice but to move him. The only logical explanation is that Sacramento felt Tyreke simply isn’t a star, isn’t worth 11 million dollars, and couldn’t be easily moved in the future with that kind of cap hit. Sacramento felt Grievis Vasquez was more valuable than Tyreke Evans at 11 million dollars per year. That’s a pretty serious indictment of Evans.

• Jul 6, 201312:33 am
            by Max

He was like 3 or 4th in the league in assists and they are building around Cousins and spent a lot of money on Thornton.   The moves makes good sense from the Kings perspective to me.   They need forwards going forward and it would have been a disservice to Evans to continue to ask him to play forward.

• Jul 6, 20139:59 am

“ agree… every major FA that we had a chance to sign got ripped apart! …. Tyreke … Iggy … Josh …
          But get excited about Jarrett Jack, Brandon Wright, and Kyle Kover ….LOL”

That’s an incredibly inaccurate portrayal. Yeah, everyone got ripped apart, like very draft prospect did. Why? Because this is a forum with a bunch of commenters with different opinions. You’re now selectively choosing some of them.

Plenty of us don’t love Jack, Wright, or Korver. Plenty of us like some of the big names.

Heck, you were pumping up Bazz and bashing Porter. So who are you to complain?

• Jul 5, 20137:34 pm
      by Keith

No one is happy that Joe is screwing the pooch here. It retroactively only makes things worse. We traded a first round pick to get this cap space, but apparently Joe had no idea that stars don’t want to come to rebuilding teams in unattractive cities. He didn’t seem to have any backup plan to this either.

So now we’re probably missing our draft pick in a great draft, have a crappy coach with no track record of success, and are trying to lock ourselves into big money for whatever scrubs are left on the market. You’re right, that’s exactly what fans were clamoring for. They sure weren’t reasonably questioning Joe’s moves, motives, and choices in this debacle.

• Jul 5, 20137:38 pm
        by mike

Correct me if I’m wrong, and maybe others can vouche for me, but when free agency started and we were linked to all the top FAs, the majority of fans screamed “No! Don’t sign him!” to literally every name we were meeting with.

The majority of fans have said from the beginning they want to save the money for next year, but I think they are just now finally starting to realize we can’t do that, and HAVE to spend the money. So if we don’t spend it on the top FAs we have to spend it on the bottom FAs instead. I bet a lot of those fans are regretting not wanting the top FAs now…lol

• Jul 5, 20137:49 pm
          by Keith

We don’t get to choose the free agent market. Not wanting Joe to blow cap space on the wrong players is not the same as saying we wanted to keep the money as our first option. Most fans have been saying since the season that CP3 was the only possible free agent that made great sense to the Pistons at big money. Some may have talked themselves into other players as well, but reasonable assessments of our team show that most of those players didn’t make sense.

I’m still not advocating keeping all the money on the wild hope that someone throws away a good player for cap reasons. I wouldn’t mind Mayo or Teague by any means, but as always, only at reasonable contracts. Joe has shown a bad tendency to make panic moves. The hot seat he’s sitting on is likely to make things worse. He hasn’t improved the team at all yet, and he has to save his own ass from the stupid Gordon trade. So there’s a good chance we’ll see him significantly outbidding other teams for middling players (Gordon and Villanueva all over again) just to say he did something. Doing something just for the sake of the press (Look everybody, I did the best I could with what we had), is ridiculous and most often counterproductive. No one was ever on the market that would turn us into a contender (besides CP3), and Joe was stupid from the beginning pretending that might be the case.

If there is a fault with the fans, it’s that they want badly for things to work out. They want Joe to spend the right money on the right players, but it just isn’t happening.

• Jul 5, 20138:00 pm
        by Josh B

Well if we can only sign scrubs, then how is it so likely we’re gonna miss out on our pick? I am all for Drummond/Monroe as the future of this franchise, but without any upgrades I don’t see them finishing any better than they did this season. Detroit is a tough FA sell in the good years, it’s truly a tough sell when you’re talking about a lottery team.

• Jul 5, 20138:05 pm
          by Keith

The notable issue is that we tied for 8th/9th this year in the first place. We were a coin flip away from being out of the top 8 (where we would lose our draft pick next year). Further, Joe adamantly opposes tanking, while 5-10 teams could be doing it all year next season. We didn’t actually play better than a handful of the teams picking in front of us, but they were smart enough to throw away games at the end of the season while we picked up meaningless wins that pushed us out of a better spot.

We can talk all day about how the drafts are always “potential” until proven otherwise, but that doesn’t change that front office people are salivating over next year. Perception drives action more than reality in many cases, and if more teams tank, we’ll lose the pick whether we fail to get better or not.

• Jul 5, 20137:31 pm
    by mike

Joe D deserved to be fired for 4 straight lotto seasons.

He deserved to be fired for hiring Cheeks without even interviewing Hollins or Karl, who are both still available.

He deserved to be fired when he took an above average SG from a small school over a potential star franchise PG in Burke.

Now as it looks like he traded our #1 pick next year for nothing, as he comes up empty in FA despite 20 mil to spend, I don’t even know what to say anymore. The worst thing is that Gores seems ok with all of this. i give up

• Jul 5, 20137:34 pm
    by cali piston fan

With D.Ho in Houston I expect Josh Smith to sign with the Pistons. After Smith makes verbal agreement with Joe D. Calderon will be convinced the pistons are headed in the right direction and begin negotiations to return to the pistons

• Jul 5, 20137:37 pm
      by Keith

I’m guessing Atlanta does a sign and trade of Smith for Asik. Asik is a DPOY caliber defender and elite rebounder, and Atlanta has no qualms about his contract. Smith wants to play with Dwight, which ultimately is going to prove odd when they realize that Smith really doesn’t compliment Dwight.

Still, I hope we resign Calderon for cheaper anyway. An elite shooter and passer is still exactly the kind of player we need to help the development of Monroe and Drummond.

• Jul 5, 20137:34 pm
    by Crispus

The pool is dwindling. I hope Dumars was right about those trades. Maybe we can grab some players when Houston’s roster explodes.

• Jul 5, 20137:41 pm
      by Keith

But who? They don’t need to trade anyone to get Dwight. They have their big players locked up at the max and everyone else isn’t making enough to matter. It’s not like they are suddenly going to trade Chandler Parsons to clear that 1 million in cap space.

• Jul 6, 201312:02 am
        by Crispus

Sounds like if We’re cagey we could get Asik as third big. He has such an awkward contract though.

• Jul 5, 20137:48 pm

Joe D fucked us again

• Jul 5, 20137:58 pm
    by Erges

Once again, what were the protections on next year’s pick?

• Jul 5, 20138:01 pm
      by mike

Its top 8 protected. Considering we were 8th worst this year, its almost a forgone conclusion that we are going to be at least a little better next year. So in all liklihood we probably spend this money on a bunch of average role players now, who make us just good enough to just miss the playoffs, end up with the 9th-14th pick which then goes to CHA.

• Jul 5, 20138:05 pm
        by Erges

maybe dumbass should ask danny ainge on how to tank properly

• Jul 5, 20139:11 pm
        by Edgar

I don’t even know if we’ll be that good. Chris Copeland and Aminu are now off the market. Off the top of my head, Jack and Calderon are the only guys left that could improve the team (if ever so slightly). And we still have DAL, ATL, SAC, DEN to compete with. I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re starting Dorrell Wright at SF next year.

• Jul 5, 201310:53 pm
          by Max

I’d be surprised if Wright could beat out Singler.

• Jul 5, 20138:03 pm
    by Max

Dumars should have just overpaid and offered Iggy and Smith max deals on days one.

• Jul 5, 20138:04 pm
    by Jayg108

Just read on hoops hype that Moose and Big Penguin will be going to Hakeem’s Summerschool

• Jul 5, 20138:28 pm
      by mike

Thanks. At least some good news. I knew about Dre, but didn’t know Moose was going too. Makes sense though.

• Jul 5, 20138:16 pm
    by Erges

That Charlotte trade is going to haunt us for years. And the KCP pick will haunt the majority of us. fire him

• Jul 5, 20138:28 pm
    by Jens

There is only one FUCKING way left for Dumars to save his jpb now.

1. Sign Josh Smith. This can only work if Joe D is clearly outbidding Houston, which means he has to offer the max. Crazy, awful, but the sad truth.

2. Get the Rudy Gay Thing done with Toronto by sweetening the offer to Toronto with a first rounder or better Knight.

3. Trade for Rondo by offering Monroe and second rounders, maybe Monroe + whatevers left over from the Gay trade.

He has to pull off ALL three. Off course he has to amnesty Charly C to make it happen. This is the only way I can see him saving his Job after the Ben Gordon/Magette “heist”.

• Jul 5, 20138:30 pm

I’m with you.

• Jul 5, 20139:51 pm
      by gmehl

Did you 2 stop to think that Joe actually cares more about signing no one rather than just anyone that doesn’t fit. You assume that Joe will do moves just to save his job. Joe is a high character guy and I don’t think he will make the same mistakes as he did last time just for the sake of saving his job. If he was fired by Gores today he’d have a new job a day or 2 later. Yes the man has his floors but to expect him to make moves just because we have the money to spend is what got us into trouble the last time and then when it all turns to shit you’d want to turn on him and say how he signed the wrong guys. Patience is the right course to take and if it means singing some 1 year rentals until the right fits come about then so be it!

• Jul 5, 20138:29 pm
    by Justin

If I was Joe D for a day…
    Id make rondo my number one priority
    Trade Stuck CV and a 2015 round one pick
    the draft pick hurts but the Celtics would need it
    then trade the warriors JJ and a second rounder
    for Harrison Barnes the Warriors just got iggy so this
    deal is possible
    new line up:
    PG: Rondo, Sliva
    SG: Knight, Caldwell-Pope
    SF: Barnes, Singler
    PF: Monroe, Mitchell
    C: Drummond
    Its not a bad starting lineup

• Jul 5, 20139:20 pm
      by Jack56

We can’t trade our 2015 pick

• Jul 5, 20138:32 pm
    by ryan

As long as Josh Smith signs with another team this summer will be a success simply by our avoiding popular but stupid mistakes. 1) We didn’t draft the form Michigan point guard who’s too small and slow to stop anyone. 2) Hopefully we won’t end up with the guy who oozes potential but never delivers.

• Jul 5, 20138:36 pm
      by mike

hmm, so you equate success with just staying in neutral?

Sure, why gamble on a star PG, when we are guaranteed an above avg SG who will never come with the problems that a star brings?

Why gamble on big time FAs, when we can just start Kyle Singler and win 29 games again?

That is success?

Quite a jaded way to look at it, but whatever

• Jul 5, 20139:40 pm
      by ToddM

I agree with ryan.  Assuming Josh Smith goes to Houston, things are working out OK.  Not for our team win total in 2013-14, but still OK.

There are several solid moves that can still be made.  Millsap makes some sense.  Jack makes some sense.  Overpaying near-stars with near-max deals does not make sense.

• Jul 5, 201310:02 pm
        by jamesjones_det

How can you even think “OK”?  Every team in our division looks to have gotten better this off-season.  Assuming Rose comes back the Bulls will run the division, the Bucks got Mayo for fairly cheap, and Cleveland got yet another top 3 pick.  Heck if Irving doesn’t get injured last year they probably finish with a better record than we did.

Standing pat is not going to make this team better.  Jack if you can get him is a solid sign outside of that there is little left out there.  I’m not a Millsap fan and I really don’t think he would be a good 3.  Rondo with a bad ACL…

My best hope is that this team does so bad this year we get a top 3 pick and fire Joe.  I have little faith at this point we are going to be any better than we have been the last 3 years.

• Jul 5, 201310:14 pm
          by gmehl

I disagree… Millsap would be a good (not great) fit as a SF. He can open the floor as he has nice range and can even shoot the 3 ball. He’s a better fit than Josh Smith and could be had for a lot cheaper minus the baggage!

• Jul 5, 201310:38 pm
            by Max

Millsap is a terrible fit because it would give Cheeks the temptation to start him at PF which would retard Drummond’s progress, leave Monroe out to dry for another year at the wrong position and possibly lead to Monroe not staying with the team since he’ll be pretty expendable if Millsap is locked up long term.

• Jul 6, 201310:01 am

So don’t sign Millsap because he is to good and could push the incumbents?

Yeah, that makes total sense.

• Jul 5, 20138:33 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski ?@WojYahooNBA5m
    New Orleans has shown strong interest in acquiring Rockets center Omer Asik, w/ an offer likely centered on Ryan Anderson, sources tell Y!

THere;s still hope for Smith. If HOU decides to deal Asik for Anderson instead, they won;t have enough space to get Smith. Anderson idea makes sense too because he played next to Dwight in ORL. Maybe HOU sees him as a better fit and doesn;t go for Smith after all

• Jul 5, 20139:14 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

LOL…the more we complained about how no one fits …other teams have signed the guys we claim fit…

Would is Josh Smith is trying to work a sign and trade with Houston…

Smh….

• Jul 6, 201310:03 am

Yes, these FAs are definitely signing with other teams because some commenters on this board think they are a poor fit.

• Jul 5, 20139:21 pm
    by Jack56

Has there been any rumors about the Pistons…it seems they are doing nothing…what trade options are out there? Other than Rondo

• Jul 5, 20139:24 pm
    by gmehl

i wonder if Joe I would go after Paul Millsap now that he is a free agent. he has range out all the way to the 3 point line and could be used at SF better than what Josh Smith can. Yes Millsap would struggle guarding other SF but he can out muscle them on offence too. I’d much rather get him at a decent price than Smith at a ridiculous one. Joe could then go after either Calderon or Jarrett Jack and have some cash left over to sign Chris Copeland. I’d rather have those 3 high character guys on decent moveable deals that if don’t pan out could be easily moved.

• Jul 5, 20139:44 pm
    by Brandon Knight

Jose Calderon signed with the Mavs. Yaaaaaaaa!

• Jul 5, 20139:51 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

Unless there is a trade

• Jul 5, 20139:53 pm
      by Who Is Us

For 4-years, $29million I’m glad Calderon found a sucker in Dallas and not Detroit!!

• Jul 5, 201310:39 pm
        by Max

You sound like a bum celebrating over no one even putting any change in his cup.

• Jul 5, 201311:31 pm
          by STILL BELIEVE IN BK

LMAO. Funniest thing I’ve read all day and thats sayinh a lot considering all the comedy going on in the comments lately.

• Jul 6, 201310:05 am

More like a bum celebrating that someone spat in another’s cup instead of his own.

• Jul 6, 20134:31 pm
            by Max

I guess you are one of those who thinks 90 percent of free agents are overpaid when the reality is that players get pretty much exactly what the market dictates which means they are appropriately paid.

• Jul 5, 20139:49 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

LOL…the more we complained about how no one fits …other teams have signed the guys we claim dont fit…
    Now Josh Smith is trying to work a sign and trade with Houston…
    Smh….

Karma!

• Jul 5, 20139:53 pm
      by jamesjones_det

Yep, this is just like every other off-season with Joe, other teams making moves with less to try to get better while Joe just sits around doing nothing.

• Jul 5, 20139:58 pm
      by Who Is Us

Houston will end up with two of the NBA’ s biggest drama queens if they can pull that off. They will still be extremely limited with building a strong cast with Jeremy Linn at PG with his disastrous contract. I’m sure they will enjoy that massive luxury tax bill.  That core of Smith, Howard, and Harden will be very interesting to watch.

• Jul 5, 201310:04 pm
        by jamesjones_det

Most likely a ticking time bomb but they will probably make the playoffs and sell out every night regardless.

• Jul 5, 201310:05 pm
      by Who Is Us

And Frank that isnt necessarily a fair comparison. If the rockets pull of the S&T for Smith he does actually fit their team. D12 is not a go to post scorer, Smith will be that for Houston. Those two together make an elite back line to protect the defensively limited Parsons and Linn. Parsons, Linn, and Harden all are above average 3pt shooters so they space the floor for Smith And Howard to wok inside and for Harden to drive. The biggest problem will be who do they have beyond that starting 5. With all their money tied up in Linn, Harden, Howard, And Smith and with Parsons due an extension next year, they are in a world of hurt trying to fill out their roster with quality players. They will likely have to log  Linn in the near future to have anything to work with.

• Jul 5, 201311:03 pm
      by Keith

Not everyone has the same team. Dallas has a significantly different makeup with Dirk as an elite shooter at the 4. Golden State has a bunch of shooters and needs defense and passing – Iggy is a GREAT fit. Houston with their bevy of shooters and an actual hole at PF is a much more ideal spot for Smith.

Just because a player isn’t a fit for our team doesn’t mean he is a bad fit for every team.

• Jul 6, 201310:06 am

How many times are you going to post almost exactly this same comment?

• Jul 5, 201310:06 pm
    by Ozzie-Moto

Iggy gone, Mayo gone, Smith (soon to be gone)  Caldron Gone    Vasques gone . T Evens Gone. Clark gone (why didn’t we meet with him. JR gone, Clark gone (why didn’t we meet with him great prospect)  JR gone,  T Evens Gone….

I told you all those interviews were a dog and pony show……Iggy gone, Mayo gone, Smith (soon to be gone)  Caldron Gone  Vasques gone . T Evens Gone. Clark gone (why didn’t we meet with him. JR gone, Clark gone (why didn’t we meet with him great prospect)  JR gone,  T Evens Gone..

At this point the biggest liability on this team along with C. Villanueva and “How come i am no treated like a god even though i can’t shoot R Stuckey.  IS JOE DUMARS nice guy, BUT wish he was gone

• Jul 5, 201310:07 pm
    by gmehl

I want Millsap and Jack. Make unit happen Joe.
    PG-Knight/Jack/Siva
    SG-KCP/English/Stuckey
    SF-Millsap/Mitchell/Singler/Middleton
    PF-Monroe/Jerebko/CV
    C-Drummond/Kravtsov

Yeah it wouldn’t be the big splash in free agency that everyone wanted but there’d be money left over to facilitate a retrace mid season and Stuckey/CV could be shopped as well to bring better fits.

• Jul 5, 201310:08 pm
    by haydzzz

No more Calderon finally a full youth movement! If we can somehow keep this year’s pick and draft a small forward of star quality we will be building for something special not something mediocre to save dumars job!

• Jul 5, 201310:27 pm
      by Reaction

Wiggins, Parker, or Randle

• Jul 5, 201310:40 pm
      by Max

Yeah, hopefully Monroe and Drummond will get hurt and miss the season.

• Jul 5, 201310:53 pm
        by gmehl

Max you’re a fcking idiot for even suggesting something like that. Next you will be hoping one of the players dies.

• Jul 5, 201311:05 pm
          by Keith

It’s really mean and ugly, but sometimes I wish Joe would get sick – something harsh that keeps him away from the team, but not deadly so he can just retire.

• Jul 5, 201311:06 pm
          by Max

It’s nothing personal.  Just want to be able to envision a scenario where the team could actually improve in the future.   If the team loses the pick now, it will all have been for absolutely nothing.

• Jul 5, 201311:09 pm
            by Max

I don’t hope any of the players die but I feel like the next couple of years already died today.

• Jul 5, 201310:09 pm
    by Lorenzo

Wow…I dunno how Calderon got that contract, good for him though, glad we stayed put. It’s good to see we aren’t spending for the sake of spending though; I rather us stay put than shell out for silly, bloated, long term contracts.

• Jul 5, 201310:12 pm
    by Lee

doesnt a player like dorrel wright make sense for us to go after? Great 3 point shooter, defense, rebounds well for his position, athleticism, cheap. Why arent we going after him?

• Jul 5, 201310:33 pm
      by Who Is Us

Would be nice to do a S&T with Dallas and get back Brands Wright and Darren Collison in return. Not exactly the blockbuster move everyone was looking for but it would improve the team.

• Jul 5, 201310:33 pm
      by Who Is Us

Would be nice to do a S&T with Dallas and get back Brandon Wright and Darren Collison in return. Not exactly the blockbuster move everyone was looking for but it would improve the team.

• Jul 5, 201310:41 pm
        by Max

That wouldn’t move the meter an iota.

• Jul 5, 201311:24 pm
        by Who Is Us

Who cares about “moving the meter,l is about getting better. This would make destroy better than they are right now. Man, your comments tonight are bona fide trolling.

• Jul 6, 201312:04 am
          by Max

I’d rather sign and trade for Andre Miller.   I think he wants out now after they fired Karl.   He’d actually make the team pretty good next year.

The Pistons could use even the illusion of pretty good right now.   With lots of teams entering full tanking mode for next season already–something that hasn’t happened for years–there is little chance the Pistons will retain the pick.   At this point I’m starting to really worry about whether the team will get to keep Monroe.

Miller is still good enough to come in and make the team look a lot more like an NBA team on both ends with either Stuckey or Knight still on the team post trade.      Here come the “he’s too old” and “doesn’t shoot” opposition but poise and gravitas is important out there.   Maybe get him and Billups.

Also my bad, Collison and Wright might be better than nothing.  My problem is like someone said: they need to get either much better or much worse fast.   Collison and Wright are probably just a little better.  As in 9th to 11th seed.  Worst place for the Pistons to be right now because it’s the place that will sting the most and look worst to Monroe.

• Jul 5, 201310:16 pm
    by Ozzie-Moto

PS as this is the forum thats current:    WHY in the world would a team want a 2 year old that is Dwight Howard.   The Lakers will regret if they do get him after he already said Houston