Pistons will reportedly consider J.R. Smith

Marc Berman of the New York Post:

The Knicks believe odds are they will retain J.R. Smith, but it hardly is a guarantee considering the bevy of under-the-cap clubs and a weak free-agent class. The Bucks, Pistons and Suns are contemplating throwing money Smith’s way.

If you can’t get one free agent Smith who’s prone to taking bad shots, try for the other one, apparently.

Unlike Josh Smith, though, J.R. Smith doesn’t bring the all-around game (defense, rebounding, passing) that would command such a high salary. The Pistons could use another wing scorer, but Smith shot pretty inefficiently last season, and he doesn’t do much else.

Guessing how much it would take to get J.R. Smith, besting the non-taxpayer mid-level exceptions I’d think he could elsewhere, it’s at this point in free agency I’d take a mulligan and keep flexibility for the summer of 2014. But Joe Dumars’ contract will expire by then, and the Pistons traded a first-round pick just to unload Ben Gordon’s contract and get cap space a year early. I don’t think they’ll welcome a two-year plan as much as I would.

• Jul 1, 20137:55 pm
    by Coach_Ackley

Ummmmmmmm…. Noooooooo…..

• Jul 1, 20138:03 pm
    by Moonchild

Not a Smith fan more so because of his attitude and off the court issues, but he is a tough guard and really good rebounder for his position.  I would rather pass on Smith , we need to get Iggy, even though it may cost hes a great fit for Detroit and a leader.

• Jul 1, 20138:18 pm
    by Brandon Knight

I want this to happen!

PG Rondo
    SG Brandon Knight
    SF Andre Igoudala
    PF Josh Smith
    C Andre Drummond

Please Joe!

• Jul 1, 201310:55 pm
      by Jon

where’d monroe go

• Jul 1, 201310:56 pm
        by Jon

nvm. didn’t read the top

• Jul 1, 201311:08 pm

You want a starting lineup with only one player who can shoot the ball?

Yeah, the defense will be good. But they’ll lose every game 80-70.

• Jul 2, 201312:23 am
      by jamesjones_det

That lineup should guarantee lotto picks for a very long time if you into that type of thing I guess it would be a good lineup.

• Jul 2, 20139:35 am
        by G

I think that team would make the playoffs, but then get immediately shut down. You can’t win in the playoffs without better shooting than that.

• Jul 1, 20138:25 pm
    by Ryan Kelly

Worst option available.   low percentage scorer who is a head case.   Oh yeah completely choked in playoffs.   Joe d should be hit in the throat if he even thinks about adding that clown.

• Jul 1, 20138:28 pm
      by Max

Don’t want him much at all but he can play both swing positions and shoot the 3.   If the Pistons strike out with Iggy and J. Smith, maybe they could offer JR twice as much as he’s worth for one season so they could spend their money next year.

• Jul 1, 20138:31 pm
    by THE XD

No Thank you. On to the next one.

• Jul 1, 20138:37 pm
    by Taylor

If J.R Smith actually played disiplined and any kind of defense I wouldn’t mind this signing, but since he has never shown those two things, Joe should pass on him.

• Jul 1, 20138:42 pm
    by Fennis

a mulligan? What a cop out. It isn’t even an option given that teams have to spend 90% of their cap space.  Grow some cahone

• Jul 1, 20139:03 pm
      by RyanK

Exactly right…  I don’t think JR Smith a worth it, but taking a mulligan is against league rules.  If they sign him to a reasonable deal, it wouldn’t be a bad thing…the full MLE would be a nightmare unless it’s just for one or two years.

• Jul 1, 20138:43 pm
    by Sean

I’m all for Josh Smith if we can trade Greg Monroe for some more pieces. Otherwise no.

JR Smith is a good, but not at the price he’s going to command in this free agency class.

• Jul 1, 20138:53 pm
    by KaBa

Well he makes the least sense of all named players as good as he might be as a scorer, he does it coming from the bench. If they would bring him in, and ask him to start his whole game could decline pretty fast. I think that he has found his ideal place at the Knicks and he should stay there.

• Jul 1, 20138:53 pm
    by Blocks by Dre

Man you guys don’t want ANYBODY except a bunch of scrubs! (Brewer, Teague, Chandler)

• Jul 1, 20139:41 pm
      by Tony J

Teague has shown a lot of promise to be a good starter in the league and is still young and Wilson Chandler has been a decent player but hasn’t had a fair shake in Denver or the Knicks and he is still fairly young (26 years old.) Brewer isn’t a great player but he can be valuable off the bench for us as an athletic defender.

• Jul 1, 20139:57 pm
        by Blocks by Dre

If you’re content with mediocre talent instead of going big, then these players are for you. Me, however, I would iLife for us to get in a BIG TIME free agent that can help maybe bring other free agents over and get us out of the Eastern basement. Teague, Chandler, Brewer or any other scrub army group you guys assemble will do that and we’ll be mediocre for a lifetime. Look at the Nets, Clippers, Heat. We gotta go all in we can’t beat those guys with free agent signings of Jeff Teague and friends. Smith has his negatives that are noticeable but his positives beat put anybody else in our free agency range. You guys I swear all you want is a group of nobodies but I guess since that’s how our team is and has been you guys are sticking to the status quo

• Jul 1, 20139:59 pm
          by Blocks by Dre

*will not do that…hate this iPad

• Jul 2, 20131:03 am
            by Javell

Im using ipad 2

• Jul 1, 201310:31 pm
          by Jon

jr smith is on the same level or lower than teague.  do you really want to be like the nets? the team that has overpayed everyone on their roster along with handicap their future to bring in two old declining players so that they can be the 4th or 5th best team in the east, not even the league. the nets will make the playoffs, probably get a team they can beat in the first round and then lose in the second round when they play a team that is more than a bunch of names thrown together.  the clippers built through the draft and trades, not big free agent signings.  the heat are only successful because they have the best player in the world, a top 5 all time sg, and a top 10 pf/c. the most likely way for a small market team to begin contending is in the draft and through trades ala OKC, SAS.

to say smith is better than the rest of this free agent class not named cp3 or d12 is true but it is also the problem. just bc he is the best player in this class doesn’t mean he’s good enough or the right player to join this team

• Jul 2, 20131:01 am
          by Tony J

It’s not that I settle for mediocre but again, these guys can be valuable bench-role players to a championship team. I would love to get a superstar here but Josh Smith doesn’t really fit the team and Andre Iguadala is pushing 30. Dwight and CP3 would laugh if Dumars even left a voicemail on their phone. JR Smith is overrated, Tyreke Evans can be a good player but how will he fit on the team? everybody else is pretty much average role players.

I would love to have a star on this team but this team has too much holes on it’s bench that can also be filled with these “mediocre” guys as you claim.

• Jul 2, 201310:14 am
          by Huddy

Josh Smith, J.R, or Iggy aren’t beating the heat or Nets etc. either.  Signing them means paying them to get the team into the 8th seed for a couple of years then retire.  By the time Drummond is in his prime They will be over the hill and the team still won’t be a contender.  Its the difference between wanting to watch a marginally competitive team and being able to wait to try and make a real push to be a real contender.

• Jul 1, 20138:57 pm
    by Crispus

You guys are being too hard on JR. He only threw up so many shots up because Mike Woodson needed him to (it was that or let Carmelo take 75 SHOTS PER GAME). He’s not a lockdown defender but he has quick hands and gets a decent amount of steals. He’s a pretty good passer too.

If you can get him for a short contract I say why not. He’s like JJ Redick but a little less mature. He’d be a good stand-in until Killer Clown Posse is ready for the full time starting SG role.

• Jul 1, 20139:10 pm
      by RyanK

I say throw the Pope in there full time…if not, send out Knight or Stuckey.  It’s way too early to know what the roster is going to look like.  Joe D has made it clear he’s trying to upgrade the wings.

A guy everyone seems to overlook is Middleton.  He showed a lot of flashes the last 20 games and seems to be an efficient player…not holding on the ball.  He keeps is moving and nails that three pointer…best looking jumper we’ve had on the team since Rip.

• Jul 2, 20139:40 am
      by G

Riiiiiight… The reason why he jacks up crazy shots is because Mike Woodson told him to… JR Smith has jacked up crazy shots every season & on every team he’s played. I remember reading a story from when he was in Denver. JR Smith jacked up a three early in the clock when Denver was clinging to a slim lead, minutes to go. Chauncey looked over at Karl & said “get that guy off the court”.

• Jul 1, 20139:34 pm
    by CCnation

Don’t waste the dough on Smith.
    Trade Stuckey for Bledsoe.
    It all starts at The Point.

• Jul 1, 20139:34 pm
    by Tony J

Let’s not get too caught up in this. I definetly don’t want either Smith on this team but I’m going to wait and see how this all pans out. Maybe Joe D. is just dipping his toe into the water and weighing literally ALL of his options in frree agency.

• Jul 1, 20139:38 pm
      by ryan

That’s what I’m beginning to think as well. After the pre-draft rumors linking us to this point guard and that and we draft KCP I wonder if this isn’t all clever subterfuge. We run around seemingly trying to sign all these guys which gets our name out there but we don’t sign any of them instead we end up facilitating other teams signing them by taking some contracts off their hands and getting picks in return. I really hope this is the case since I have very little interest in any of these cats outside Andre Iguodala and I’m not even a hug fan of AI.

• Jul 1, 20139:51 pm
        by Tony J

Definetly agree with you. I don’t like this pool of FA’s outside of AI and a couple of bench-role players. Joe D also stated that he would much rather do trades to fill the cap space so these “interviews” could definetly be a smoke screen.

• Jul 1, 20139:38 pm
    by Martin

Is it possible to sign iggy and josh smith? Why would we talk to josh smith for 5 hours without offering a deal and then meet with Iggy?  We could start ivy and sb and smith at the 3 and pull a Miami but with a better younger TEAM

• Jul 1, 20139:46 pm
      by ryan

Worst idea I’ve heard in along time.

• Jul 1, 201311:25 pm
      by CityofKlompton

That’s not “pulling a Miami.” That’s more like pulling a “Let’s See How Mediocre We Can Possibly Be.”

• Jul 1, 201311:26 pm

ivy and sb? who are these people?

• Jul 2, 20139:42 am
        by G

Royal Ivey maybe? SB could be… Sidney… Bumpkin… Wait, that’s not a player…

• Jul 2, 20139:59 am
        by Martin

Did you really just correct a auto that my iPad mad?

• Jul 2, 201310:03 am
          by G

Do you want to clarify who you were talking about? I’m assuming ivy was supposed to be “Iggy”, but I have no clue who SB is supposed to be.

• Jul 2, 201312:24 pm

not correcting you, genuinely asking which names you meant to write

ivy = iggy makes sense

i have no idea who sb is

• Jul 1, 20139:49 pm
    by Tony J

Not sure if Joe has already done this or not but if I was him I would sit down with Monroe and his agent first and discuss a possible extension and see where both sides stand. If Moose is weary about staying here then trade him. Don’t get me wrong, I like Moose and think he is a very fine player but this team need him to be committed and not dash out on us (despite him being a RFA.) If Moose doesn’t like the direction the team is going then I would be mildly okay with signing smith who can rebound as well as Moose and has better D. The only thing I would be concerned about is how much effort Smith will put in day in and day out and his reputation as  headcase doesn’t help. At the end of the day, DON’T sign Josh Smith to be the SF Joe D!!!

• Jul 1, 201311:05 pm
      by Crispus

I doubt Josh Smith would come to Detroit unless his attitude was adjusted to cooperation and hard work. Detroit is not a sexy city or team – he can go a lot of other places if he wants to showboat and pout and fool around.

• Jul 1, 20139:56 pm
    by DasMark

Is Joe hell bent on building the “all head case” team? Jr Smith, Josh Smith, Tyreke Evans, Monta Ellis (reportedly). All of these guys are terrible locker room guys. Don’t get along with their coaches, and haven’t shown improvement in a number of years.

Why not just trade back for Ben Gordon and give DNP-CV a 70 million extension? If you’re going to be a moron, don’t do it half a**, go all the way.

• Jul 1, 201311:24 pm
    by jacob

I really wouldn’t worry about Tyreke the Pelicans offered him like 11 mil a year for 4 years. Now if we could get Josh Smith for 12 mil a year for 4 years I wouldn’t care how he fit. That would be a great deal.

• Jul 1, 201311:35 pm
      by mark

there is to much crying and complaining, I will be happy if the pistons sign anybody. Have we forgot as pistons fans that we haven’t had a winning season in quite sometime now? beggers cant be choosers geeeez, I will happy if the piston  sign iggy, smith, j.r. smith, mayo, or anybody at this point,  I just want to see the pistons get back to winning so I can feel proud to hold my head up high as a big time Detroit all sports loyal to the grave fan

• Jul 1, 201311:42 pm
        by jacob

Jose Calderon is one of the better point guards on the free agent market, and there is certainly still room for him back in Detroit. But are the Pistons even interested in bringing him back?

You bet they are. ESPN The Magazine’s Chris Broussard reports on Twitter this morning that the Pistons’ top priority this summer is to get either Josh Smith or Andre Iguodala, and he adds that the “Pistons are also intent on bringing back Jose Calderon.”

If Detroit can manage to do both, they will be set up well for next season, with Calderon and Smith/Iguodala providing the veteran leadership to a young team that also adds promising rookie wing Kentavious Caldwell-Pope to the mix.

• Jul 2, 201312:07 am
    by Ozzie-Moto

OK it seems the Pistons are interested in EVERYBODY and are determined to get SOMEONE (as T Gores needs a product and JD want his job, (not sure why even he doesn’t get maybe change in G would be good for the pistons?  and in the end we get WHO EVER is left that didn’t go to a team with better team or fancier city ,,, the only thing going is that the new salary cap has put a lot of player in the mix and a lot of the better team cant pay as well for as many guys as they used to …

• Jul 2, 201312:13 am
    by Ozzie-Moto

My apologies,
        horrid prof read, here is is again:

OK it seems the Pistons are interested in EVERYBODY, and are determined to get SOMEBODY.   T Gores needs a product and JD want his job, Not sure why even Joe doesn’t get maybe change in GM would be good for the Pistons?  So in the end we well get ANYBODY that is left that didn’t go to a team with better roster or fancier city. The only thing going is that helps a little is the new salary cap has put a lot of player in the mix and a lot of the better team cant pay as well for as many guys as they used to
    Still a lot of teams with $$$

• Jul 2, 201312:20 am
    by jamesjones_det

If we waste money on J.R. Smith I may renounce myself as a fan.  JR is flat out the most overrated worthless basketball player in the NBA today.

If Joe signs this dude i’m done with this team.

• Jul 2, 20131:27 am
    by mike

Smith x2?

Lets sign both!

• Jul 2, 20132:15 am
    by Some Dude

Why not go after Andrei Kirilenko? I know he’s old and not really an offensive threat. But he will fill the SF position well until be find a better one. And he’s a good defender.

• Jul 2, 201310:51 am
      by jeff

I wonder why kirilenko opted out of his 10 million next year. I would be really surprised if he gets more then that as a free agent. It was a  pretty stupid move if you ask me.

• Jul 2, 20137:13 am
    by Grizz

All these FAs .. SUCK .. Pass on them .. None of them will be available unless you over-pay by 3 to 5 million .. Save the cap space for another time ..

• Jul 2, 20131:12 pm
      by jamesjones_det

The only one that is any good is Josh Smith and the issue with Smith is he has almost no competition in this FA pool so you will have no choice but to overpay if you/we want him.  I don’t really want any of them for that very reason.  I would rather save the money for next year.

• Jul 2, 20138:30 am