Pistons sign Luigi Datome to two-year, $3.5 million contract

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports:

Detroit Pistons deal with Italian shooter Gigi Datome: two years, $3.5 million, source tells Y! Sports.

Well, well, well. Isn’t that interesting. The Pistons need shooting, and apparently this guy’s position is “shooter.” Must be an Italian thing.

Datomea 6-foot-8 forward – shot averaged 16.4 points in 33.2 minutes per game for Roma last season, shooting 39.4 percent on 3-pointers and 92.6 percent on free throws. The year before, he made 43.2 percent of his 3-pointers and made 92.3 percent of his free throws. Those numbers are the marks of a good shooter.

It’s also reassuring the Pistons didn’t pluck Datome from nowhere. Vince Ellis of the Detroit Free Press:

Source says #Celtics, #Bucks, #Rockets, #Suns, #Spurs, #Grizz interested.

I’ve complained in the past the Pistons haven’t shown enough creativity in assembling their roster, but this is definitely a creative move. It’s easy to imagine Datome is a hidden gem, because none of us have seen any of his flaws, so I’m going to do just that.

Josh Smith throws an entry pass from the high post to a posting-up Greg Monroe. Uh oh, here comes the double team. Monroe kicks to Danilo Gallinari Luigi Datome in the corner, where the shooter nails his a 3-pointer…

• Jul 9, 20132:11 pm
    by Kobina

The Spurs wanted him?  That’s all I needed to know.

• Jul 9, 20135:00 pm
      by mike

yeah because the Spurs have never signed any busts before…smh. I hate when people say this, as if the Spurs are the only team in the league that has ever had success with Euro’s. The Pistons were bringing over guys like Rebracca and Memo before the Spurs. I trust our international scouting and don’t give a shit about the Spurs.

• Jul 9, 20135:47 pm
        by Jon

sure they’ve had busts but they have a far better success rate with foreign and underrated players than the rest of the league. if the pistons and spurs are going after the same players and the pistons are getting them, that sounds like a good thing to me

• Jul 9, 20137:09 pm
        by timetodienow1234567

The Spurs have had the MOST success with foreign born players with Manu, Parker, and a lot of other lesser known players. Nothing wrong with going after the guys that they are going after.

• Jul 9, 20137:39 pm
          by mike

Tiago Splitter and Oberto are awesome and Ime Udoka deserves the MVP lol

They got 2 foreign picks right 10 yrs ago in Parker and Ginobli. The rest have been average at best since then. Stop believing this myth.

• Jul 9, 20139:51 pm
            by freywagg

You don’t get it. When you get an “average” NBA player for little to no investment, you’re doing better than everyone else. With picks ranging from the end of the first round (usually around 28) all the way through the second round, the Spurs have drafted the following players:
            Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker, Luis Scola, Leandro Barbosa, Beno Udrih, Ian Mahinmi, Tiago Splitter, Goran Dragic, and Nando de Colo.
            All of those guys are rotation players and some are out right stars. Most teams (including the Spurs on occasion) are grabbing guys that sit at the end of the bench for a couple years before getting cut.

• Jul 9, 20132:11 pm
    by Anthony

This doesn’t look good for Kim English.

• Jul 9, 20132:13 pm
    by haydzzz

Nice! ALSO… yeaaaah KCP eff the haters lol

• Jul 9, 20137:12 pm
      by gmehl

Hmmmm I wonder who’ll be the first person to change there username to KCP??

• Jul 9, 20132:14 pm
    by Lorenzo

Interesting, worth a shot.

• Jul 9, 20132:17 pm
    by Crispus

Take that Rudy Gay!

• Jul 9, 20132:17 pm
    by ryan

The clip certainly looks encouraging. Interesting move that makes me expect more moves to come. I hope that one of them is Rodney Stuckey being turned into picks and a player we waive.

• Jul 9, 20133:08 pm
      by Tony J AD1 for 3!!!

Definetly some more moves will be made. With this signing we now have Josh Smith who at this moment will play SF, Kyle Singler, Middleton and now Datome. That leaves us with 3 SF’s who have potential and a PF who will need to play SF. I definetly believe there are more moves to come. Maybe Singler and Stuckey will be gone? Who knows at this point…

• Jul 9, 20135:01 pm
        by mike

Now all we need is a starting PG and starting SG!

lol

• Jul 9, 20132:17 pm
    by Trent

it looks like we have ourselves a cult hero!

VIVA GIGI!!!!!!!!!!!

• Jul 9, 20132:19 pm
    by Black_Magic

at the very least, he’ll spread the floor

• Jul 9, 20132:22 pm
    by RyanK

So who’s the better small forward: Middleton, Singler, or Datome?  I thought Middleton was going to be our first SF off the bench this year, but Datome might be the guy.  Assuming The Pope can play, we now have a strong shooting situation away from our projected starting 5.  Singler, Middleton, Datome, and Pope can all hit the long ball.

Defensive Abilities:
    Pope – They say he can get it done
    Singler – Average at SF, struggled at SG
    Middleton – Looked terrible last year, but did a little better the last few games
    Datome – Don’t know, but usually the Euro Player utilize an “Oh-Lay” style of defense.

English is gone…  25 years old, he better take a good look at his options and possibly make a tough decision about being a pro basketball player

• Jul 9, 20133:07 pm

“I thought Middleton was going to be our first SF off the bench this year, but Datome might be the guy.”

Who will be starting at SF?

• Jul 9, 20133:23 pm
        by Jack56

Josh Smith is our starting SF right now.

• Jul 9, 20134:12 pm

Link?

• Jul 9, 20135:08 pm
            by Otis

It seems to be the consensus, but I see your point.

Personally, I don’t think it’s even within the realm of possibility that the Pistons can run an NBA offense with ZERO floor spacing at the 3-5. You could have the greatest shooting guard tandem in the league and it still won’t work. My guess is they’ll try a Smith-Monroe-Drummond to start the season, because those are our top three players by a very wide margin. However, I don’t think it’ll be long before one of two things happens:

1) We end up rotating Smith, Monroe and Drummond at the 4-5, bringing Monroe or Drummond off the bench. It’s not the worst thing in the world, and even people who doubt Monroe’s ability to adequately space the floor (like me) can stomach the idea of him playing PF situationally, and primarily against backups. I don’t have very high expectations for the potential of a Monroe-Drummond pairing, but with Smith in the mix at PF, I think we’d probably have one of the league’s best rotations at the power positions.

2) We trade Monroe for elite perimeter talent. This would be my preference. I have no interest in giving a max extension to a defensive liability who doesn’t even project to be our best player at his position. If he was the only center I could get my hands on, sure. But with Smith and Drummond combining for one of the most athletic, dynamic, defensively imposing frontcourts in the league, the best thing we could do is complement them with an athletic veteran scorer and/or distributor.

The best news at this point is that right now (until we extend Monroe) we’re flexible. We won’t be FORCED to move him for lack of an adequate replacement. We can see how the season plays out, and we have expiring contracts to move at the deadline or hold onto for cap space next summer. I’d really like to see us do more before the season starts, but if the team takes a major step forward (as it should), this season should be entertaining enough to hold us over and hopefully bring in another free agent, which we’d have plenty of money to do.

• Jul 9, 20133:12 pm
      by Tony J AD1 for 3!!!

I’m guessing Singler may be used as a trading chip at this point. I like Singler and he has good energy but Middleton is younger and has more potential. Unless they make a move that allows Smith to start at PF, I think the Pistons wll have to choose the odd man out between the 3 backup SF’s (I also don’t rule out Middleton possibly playing backup SG.)

• Jul 9, 20136:02 pm
        by KaBa

No way, I would never choose Middleton over Singler. Singler showed everyone last year that he is athletic enough to keep up with the NBA. Other than that he has a really nice all around game. Besides keeping a player cause he is younger has never been a good idea. What could Middleton really bring to table in order to keep him rather then Singler?

• Jul 9, 20132:26 pm
    by Quick Darshan

Prediction based on two minutes of youtube highlights: Poor Man’s Stoyakovich.

• Jul 9, 20132:54 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

LOL at comparison …. never saw Peja dunk two hands or block a shot… GREAT COMPARISON

• Jul 9, 20134:11 pm
        by Quick Darshan

Peja could dunk.  He relied on pull-ups and those floating bankers because he couldn’t get to the rim in the NBA.  This guy won’t be able to either.  You can tell from the videos he’s not very quick.

• Jul 9, 201311:38 pm
          by Crispus

Peja also had terrible foot problems throughout his career. There wasn’t much incentive for him to be an aggressive slasher.

• Jul 9, 20132:26 pm
    by Clint in Flint

Sounds like Joe’s on a roll. We will be ready to go as soon as he gets us a PG.

• Jul 9, 20133:28 pm
      by Brandon Knight

No Sir, we already have Brandon Knight. It’s been clear the he will start at the PG position.

• Jul 9, 20134:00 pm
        by Clint in Flint

I hope you are right and he gives us 15 and 10 every night. He puts out a lot of effort, he deserves it.

• Jul 9, 20135:00 pm
          by freywagg

15 and 10 what? Minutes and turnovers?

…I’ll be here all week.

• Jul 9, 20136:59 pm
            by Clint in Flint

Think positive!

• Jul 9, 20137:41 pm
      by mike

Bynum and unproven Italian dude is not a roll. Joe needs to get us some proven starting guards .

• Jul 9, 20132:28 pm
    by cir3

16 on the roster….time  to go cv and stuckey

• Jul 9, 20132:29 pm
    by David

Any idea how he is on D? If he can shoot in addition to at least average D, then I’m sold.

• Jul 9, 20132:36 pm
      by Moonchild

I watched a couple videos and you cant really tell his D but he had 3-4 nice run from behind blocks, so he seems to have the hustle factor…He looks like Tayshaun on the court with a better shot (obviously not saying his defense is that good)

• Jul 9, 20132:40 pm
    by RyanK

Scouting Report: on a 5 star system
    Skill Level – 4
    Potential – 4
    Defense – 3.5
    Rebounding – 4
    Scoring – 5

So we have guy who can score the ball, but struggles defensively…how European.  Drummond and Smith can make it easier for him on the perimeter, so he can guard the jumper more and concern himself about the drive less.

• Jul 9, 20132:44 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

I like what I read about him, and I also like that he is 25 years old…and He chose Detroit

• Jul 9, 20133:01 pm
      by Byron

If 3 is league-average (and it should be for your system to make any sense) those numbers would describe a borderline MVP candidate, not an unknown player we signed from Europe to HOPEFULLY be a bench rotation player.

• Jul 9, 20135:05 pm
        by freywagg

That’s the thing, those numbers actually describe not just a “borderline MVP candidate,” but a bona fide MVP recipient. He won the Italian Serie A League MVP last year and in 2009 won the league’s “Best Player Under 22″ award. If he does nothing else for us, he should be able to stretch the floor. He has a FT average of something like 92% for his career, which indicates that he’s a great and extremely consistent shooter.

• Jul 9, 20137:29 pm
          by Byron

Is that a serious point? I obviously meant an NBA MVP. I could probably win MVP of a league of 8-year-olds, does that mean I get 4/5 stars on “Skill Level” too?

• Jul 9, 20138:32 pm
            by oats

If you were being graded relative to the rest of the league, then yes you would. They were grading him as a player in the Italian League, so it makes sense that he’d have grades that suggest he would get graded like an MVP since he actually was the MVP.

• Jul 9, 20139:07 pm
            by Byron

Oh! That was a Euro scouting report? I thought that was RyanK’s personal scouting report, hence calling it “your system” in my first post. My bad.

• Jul 9, 20133:11 pm
      by Sharpie

Using the chart on Eurobasket, it looks like they actually gave him an extra star for scoring.  So…6 out of 5?  I’ll take that.

• Jul 9, 20132:48 pm
    by Windy

Man oh man I hope this translates into a Stuckey trade…English is gone…he had chances to show what he has but just come up flat…

• Jul 9, 20132:52 pm
    by Kevin

One site mentioned he plays a little like Carlos Delfino. I can definitely see that in him, although he is a bit taller. It seems like the Pistons have a ton of forwards now and very few guards. Will Singler be primarily a SG now?

• Jul 9, 20133:15 pm
      by Tony J AD1 for 3!!!

I probably would prefer Middleton as the backup SG. I believe Middletons skill set is better used at the SG position and Singlers skill set is better used at the SF spot.

• Jul 9, 20136:09 pm
        by KaBa

Well Singler played last season at times SG and he was good doing it. So no need to experiment on something like Middleton as a SG. I think you are putting way to much trust into Middleton to develop into something he probably will never be. Especially Singlers skill set allows him to be used more versatlile.

• Jul 9, 20138:28 pm
          by oats

Calling Singler good at it is an overstatement. He was really awful on defense there. But really, how different are the two wing positions really? SGs are usually a little quicker and SFs tend to be a little more likely to go into the post with their extra size. Middleton is the more athletic player, so I really don’t think playing him at the 2 is really much of an experiment.

• Jul 10, 20132:48 am
            by KaBa

Well today everyone seems to think that it’s all the same if you play PG or SG or SF or PF. No difference, they all try to score as much as possible and defend as good as it gets. Bazinga. SG and SF are not the same position just like PG or SG are not the same. Some teams try to play small ball and go with a SF on the PF position but with a team with a good interior presence, those can be punished inside. And about Singler, he is not a starting guy but he is a great player of the bench, with hustle and a nice overview over the game. Athleticism is not the solution to everything. Having a decent skill set is important and cen help you more. That’S the reason i.e. that Dwight Howard will never be as good as Hakeem.

• Jul 9, 20133:03 pm
    by Eric

Or it could read, Josh Smith thinks about throwing an entry pass from the high post, but has a house to build so he tosses up a 20 footer….BRICK

• Jul 9, 20133:17 pm
    by Brigs

hopefully his shooting numbers translate well to the nba we could have pretty solid team then but it all depends on how well bk7 can run the point, if he cant play effectively then I would look to package him and moose for rondo. I think the celtics would do that plus a couple 2nd rounders. We would have an all star pg a couple shooters on the wings and a crazy athletic front court. Now thats a top 4 seeded team in the east

• Jul 9, 20133:19 pm
    by David

I’m predicting a lot of lineups with either Drummond or Monroe on the bench, Smith at the 4, Datome/Middleton/Singler at the 3, KCP at the 2, and PG tbd.

Power inside, shooting outside. Don’t have to overplay Monroe or Drummond.

This roster is getting there. CV and Stuckey’s expiring contracts should have a fair amount of value when the trade deadline approaches and teams that want cap space ahead of a huge FA class want them. Might be too early to trade them though. At this point its crazy to amnesty CV. His contract is an asset.

Too many SFs, not enough guards. We’ll see how this shakes out. But Cheeks is the only part of this offseason I’m not sold on so far.

• Jul 9, 20133:29 pm
      by Brandon Knight

Brandon Knight is the PG

• Jul 9, 20133:23 pm
    by DoctorDave

Here’s what I think our rotation will be:
    Starters: C-Moose; PF-Smith; SF-Datome; SG-KCP; PG-BK7.
    Andre the Giant plays 30 minutes a night at C off the bench; allowing Monroe & Smith each to play 30 minutes, too (there’s 96 minutes per game at C&PF; Drum, Moose & Smith get all of those, if no foul issues…). Singler & Smith get the rest of the SF minutes.
    Backup SG-Stuckey. Backup PG-Bynum. Siva is 3PG and is in training.
    So that means the 9 man rotation (the guys who are playing the genuine minutes) is:
    Moose, Drummond, Smith, Datome, Singler, KCP, Stuckey, BK7 & Bynum. Playoffs? Probably. First round win? Probably not.
    I think the development of Siva as a PG is a possible steal of a sleeper in this draft. Let’s see what happens.

• Jul 9, 20133:24 pm
      by DoctorDave

This rotation probably happens by January 1. KCP & Luigi probably get worked in slowly.

• Jul 9, 20134:47 pm
        by Who Is Us

Not gonna happen, Drummond will be starting, which means Smith at the 3 and Monroe at the 4.

• Jul 9, 20135:38 pm
        by DoctorDave

THE Problem: Smith is a great PF; but only an average SF.

• Jul 9, 20135:39 pm
        by DoctorDave

and there is plenty of minutes for all three of them at the 4/5 position.

• Jul 9, 20133:25 pm
    by Joey

He was Italian league MVP, so he’s probably pretty good

• Jul 9, 20133:28 pm
    by David

I think Monroe and Smith will both start, at least to start the season. It’s more likely Drummond comes off the bench (not that I think he should). If Smith-Monroe-Drummond starting doesn’t work out then Monroe or Drummond might come off the bench.

Definitely too soon to say Datome is a starter.

And I think Mitchell could see some serious playing time (more than Singler by the all-star break).

• Jul 9, 20133:30 pm
    by Black_Magic

now we need to get Mario Chalmers. Mario and Luigi

• Jul 9, 20133:32 pm
      by JB

Did you really just beat my post by 2 minutes! aghhh

• Jul 9, 20137:43 pm
        by Giles

That’s black magic for ya

• Jul 9, 20138:21 pm
        by gmehl

After we sign Mario we need to seriously start scouring the Japanese league for a Yoshi

• Jul 9, 20133:32 pm
    by JB

Now, we just need to figure out how to get Chalmers here.

• Jul 9, 20133:32 pm
    by Quin

It is encouraging. We have confidence in two players in their positions, Smith at PF and Drummond at C, and high hopes for another 2, KCP and this guy. Doubts about the PG role, but a good trading piece in Monroe, which could get us a good starting PG and maybe a future pick. And who knows, Siva could turn into something.

• Jul 9, 20133:36 pm
    by RLGivens

Would a Los Costra Nostra inspired nickname be in poor taste? Luigi ‘The Button Man’ Datome.

• Jul 9, 20133:38 pm
      by David

Luigi “The Plumber” seems like the way to go.

As in “the Plumber really drained that shot”

• Jul 9, 20133:44 pm
    by GEORGIO

Give it up dudes, the Pistons are NOT trading Monroe and they’re not bringing Drummond off the bench. If you’re expecting that you will be sorely disappointed.

• Jul 9, 20133:48 pm
    by Max

If Drummond doesn’t start every night he is healthy this year, everyone should be fired and Drummond would have good reason to start looking forward to wearing another uniform on a team that recognizes his  beastly talent.  He’s an unstoppable monster.   No one in the league can get in his way.   He’s no sixth man of the year.   He’s an all star.   I don’t care that he hasn’t been named yet.   Ball don’t lie!

• Jul 9, 20134:06 pm
      by Quin

I get the whole sports thing, but all the “beast” and “monster” calling becomes unsettling at some point. He’s like … a human being.

• Jul 9, 20134:18 pm
        by Max

I’m saying he’s a Shaq or a Kemp or a Moses.   You start this guy no questions.

• Jul 9, 20134:26 pm
        by Max

It’s called hyperbole Quinn.   I never heard anyone get upset when Jordan gets called a ruthless killer and an assassin.   Kobe doesn’t seem to mind being called a black mamba.

• Jul 9, 20135:06 pm
        by Crispus

Just don’t call him a “probable bust”.

• Jul 9, 20135:53 pm
      by AYC

I actually think it makes sense to bring Dre of the bench, but play him significant minutes, and not be afraid to give him about 10 games off.  What’s important is that he stays healthy and well rested so as not to start grinding out his back or legs.  He needs to get conditioned and acclimated to a full season.

• Jul 9, 20133:57 pm
    by Max

For all of you who don’t want Josh Smith at small forward, loading up on backup small forwards is exactly the way that he will only have to play about 5-6 minutes a half at small forward even while starting with Monroe and Drummond.    Drummond will start but he’ll probably only play 29-32 minutes a night this year.   Monroe can play the majority of the rest of the minutes at center and Smith can play around 25+ minutes a night at PF.     Singler, Luigi, Middleton and Jerebko can play backup small forward as their play and the matchup dictates.   Everything is falling into place beautifully in the front court.   Now as for he back court…………..

• Jul 9, 20134:28 pm
      by frankie d

my guess is that drummond will come off the bench.  it will be the only conceivable way the smith signing works.
      they will probably experiment with smith at SF – with monroe and drummond on the court – for about 5-10 minutes and see how it goes.
      i just dont see how they start monroe, drummond and smith and play them big minutes together.  it just doesn’t work on the court.  not enough space.
      watching the summer league games, the most disappointing part is that the team still has a huge hole at the PG spot and it hurts everything.  without that PG, the bigs don’t get the ball in the right spot, KCP cant run around and spot up for his shot, and singler can’t sit in a corner and shoot that corner 3 that he is pretty good at hitting.
      i know i am in the minority, but i happen to think that the team could have done well with singler at SF, if they had a PG and another shooter at the other wing spot.
      they may have found their shooter in KCP, but they still need the guy who will make it work on court.
      as of this point, they don’t have that guy on the roster.
      btw, anyone who looks at monroe as “trade bait” has to be nuts.  keeping josh smith and trading monroe?
      that is about as dumb as trading billups for AI…

• Jul 9, 20134:37 pm
        by Max

I see Monroe and Smith making those passes as other teams desperately try to deal with the Pistons inside.
        I know Knight isn’t great at running pick and rolls but I see the Pistons running lots of pick and rolls with Knight, KCP etc taking lots of shots after getting great picks.   KCP looked good in college at getting a pick and shooting.

• Jul 9, 20136:05 pm
        by Jon

monroe is trade bait not just bc of his talent, but bc of his age and contract.

• Jul 9, 20137:41 pm
          by frankie d

how often have teams traded bigs of monroe’s caliber within their first 5 years in the league and actually benefitted from it?
          i don’t know the answer to that question, but i’d bet the number of times is pretty small.
          young bigs with monroe’s talent and skills are very rare and it surprising that so many pistons’ fans don’t appear to appreciate how rare a guy like monroe is.
          is he untouchable?
          course not.  but any trade for monroe would have to involve an all star level wing or guard, and nothing less.
          at least one hopes so.
          but joe d has been pitiful as far as getting good return on his talented players.
          quick…off of that title team, with its 4 all stars, exactly what did joe d get in return for all of them combined?

• Jul 9, 20138:15 pm
            by Quin

Which is why we keep hearing Rondo’s name mentioned. One of the best PGs in the league. I actually think Rondo is capable of a higher apg average than any other guard in the league, period.

• Jul 9, 20138:38 pm
            by gmehl

Frankie is right. As the saying goes you never trade big for small. If anyone thinks Drummond is ready to play 35mpg next season is kidding themselves. I see him starting but I don’t see him playing anything more than 25-30mpg to start the season. The kid has to lug around 270-280lbs every night so its needless to say that he will get fatigued a lot which will lead to quick fouls which will send him to the bench anyway.

As far as our starting PG situation goes the only player left worth pursing is Teague who I am totally not sold on anyways. Our starter at PG clearly has to be a guy that can stick an open jumper whilst also being capable of feeding our bigs and perimeter shooters (which we need more of btw). Unfortunately I think we will have to wait until the trade deadline or next offseason for staring PG.

• Jul 9, 201310:18 pm
            by oats

Rondo is coming off a major injury and he can’t shoot, so the plan is to pair him with Smith and Drummond who also can’t shoot? I just don’t think that makes much sense. If Rondo’s lost a step then he might be pretty bad, and even if he hasn’t then he is far from an ideal fit. He also is an unrestricted free agent in 2 years and can leave if he wants. Last but not least, the ages don’t make sense. Drummond is 7 years younger than either Smith or Rondo. When he is starting to enter his prime at 24, those guys will be over 30 and starting to decline. Meanwhile Monroe would be 27 and hitting his peak. You should want the key players to have their primes at roughly the same time because that maximizes the team’s window to compete, and that wouldn’t happen if Monroe gets moved for Rondo. Detroit needs to do better than Rondo in a Monroe trade.

• Jul 10, 201312:00 am
            by gmehl

Yep Oats gets it. I don’t think I could bare watching Monroe hitting his peak playing for the Celtics.

• Jul 9, 20134:01 pm
    by josh

WALTER HERMAN IS BACK!!!

• Jul 9, 20135:07 pm
      by Crispus

EXACTLY WHAT I WAS THINKING!!!

• Jul 9, 20137:31 pm
      by sop

hahahaha. I thought the same thing as well. Let’s hope its just the hair. Hermann kindof sucked.

• Jul 9, 20134:05 pm
    by John

Smith is playing SF Quin

• Jul 9, 20134:10 pm
      by Quin

Yeah, I know. But I agree with most of the analysts that floor spacing will be a huge issue. I really don’t see the point in letting teams outperform us on the offensive end, unless our defense will be as stifling as … say … the 2003 team. I’m speaking hypothetically, if we could trade Monroe. Otherwise, there’s no reason not to mention a good player like him.

• Jul 9, 20134:10 pm
    by ToddM

I try to be optimistic.  This is an opportunity to do so — the unknown is tantalizing.  Don’t read too much into draining wide-open 3′s and dunking over ground-bound Italian League centers, though.

Let’s hope for the best.

• Jul 9, 20134:45 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

@ Todd he isn’t a nobody, or a shot in the Dark….before the celtics started the rebuilding process he was a guys they were looking to add…

At the very least he seems like a guy that can knock down that corner 3 ball …

• Jul 9, 20139:02 pm
        by gmehl

Yep and I think we were the worst team in the league from the corner ball 3 by memory. Hitting those corner 3′s is a great way to draw defenders out of the key which opens the lanes for guys like Knight, Monroe and Drummond so they can go to work. One of the biggest problems with a player like Stuckey is he needs really good shooters on the floor with him so he can use his power game to go one on one. How many times did we see him try to beat 2 or 3 guys and get stopped at the hoop or throw up a prayer lay up. As there is are no starting caliber PGs left on the market I am now hoping we go after another shooter like Gary Neal. He can handle the rock and knock down the 3 ball.

• Jul 9, 20134:10 pm
    by Who Is Us

I know the situation of his acquisition is a little different but this feels a little like Joe D’s move to bring in Zejliko Rebraca in 2001. That move really helped turn the franchise in the right direction.

Here’s to keeping my fingers crossed that this Datome signing has similar results!

As for the Pistons’ roster I’d guess that Kim English is headed for the waiver wire. Otherwise the Pistons well need to make a 2-for-1 trade somewhere or amnesty Charlie V.

On a related note, I’ve watched the Pistons’ first two summer league games and in watching I think that the sentiment that Middleton could very well slide into the back-up SG spot, he has a lot of Rip Hamilton to his game but with a better 3pt stroke.

The 2nd observation is that Tony Mitchell is  every bit the physical freak he was advertised to be. Once he learns the NBA game he could be very good. In 2-3 years he might make Josh Smith easily expendable.

The 3rd observation is that Peyton Siva is an excellent defender, sees the court well and could very well turn into and extremely good back-up in this league, if he can improve his 3pt shooting he could be a Lindsey Hunter type player.

Finally, I’m both encouraged and discouraged by what I’ve seen from Kravtsov so far. He’s played the pick and roll well on both sides of the ball and has made some great defensive plays protecting the rim and going strong on the offensive side. Unfortunately, he has gotten lost defensively more than a few times and looked like he didn’t know what he was doing. On the offensive side, the couple shots I’ve seen him take that weren’t dunks have been pretty ugly, and his hands don’t appear to be very soft, I’ve watched him fumble a number of balls.. This situation has made me thing that bringing in Smith is probably a really good thing because it means that the Piston’s will play almost every minute of every game next year with some combination of Smith, Monroe, and Drummond the floor California limiting the number of minutes any back-up center would need to play.

• Jul 9, 20134:17 pm
    by Max

Stop throwing around Monroe as a trade piece.  The Pistons are clearly going with Brandon Knight this season at least to start.   If they weren’t going to, they could have signed a better point guard.   There are so many good point guards in the league that they won’t have to trade a player of Monroe’s caliber to get one in any off season so just stop.   Monroe is too good with too much potential to trade for any player you could possibly acquire for him.   Personally, I would only trade him for Stephon Curry (injury risk) or maybe Chris Paul (injury risk plus getting older) at point guard.    Rose, Westbrook, Irving, Wall and Rondo are all either hurt or huge injury risks at the moment.   Williams is an injury risk, getting older and his best basketball might be behind him.  Tony Parker is too old.  If Knight doesn’t work out and the new Pistons front line doesn’t look right, maybe then make a move for a Ty Lawson but don’t sacrifice youth or health in any trade involving Monroe.    Either way, it’s probably best right now to give Knight one more chance and go after Lowry (best case) to Ridnour (worst case) level point guards without trading Monroe if Knight fails.

• Jul 9, 20135:52 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

Actually with Josh Smith, and Monrow …. Knight role becomes easier… he basically just needs to shoot the ball well…

• Jul 9, 20136:35 pm
        by oats

I think I’m up for the Princeton or Triangle offense right now to take the job of passing out of Knight’s hands and make it a team wide responsibility. It’s a good thing we went and got a guy who is good at running that type of offense. Oh, we got Cheeks. Hmm, crap.

• Jul 9, 20134:23 pm
    by Max

Also, if Knight and the front line doesn’t work out, my first option if breaking up Drummond, Monroe and Smith around the deadline would be to trade Smith, not Monroe.

• Jul 9, 20134:39 pm
    by Seniorbearcat

Starting Lineup
     PG – Brandon Knight 6-3
     SG – Kentavious Caldwell Pope 6-6
     SF – Josh Smith 6-9
     PF – Greg Monroe 6-11
     C – Andre Drummond 6-11

Second Unit - Euro All Stars
     PG – Will Bynum 6-0
     SG – Kyle Singler 6-8 (look at Singler’s Euro #s, Datome was better across the board fwiw)
     SF – Luigi Datome 6-9
     PF – Jonas Jerebko 6-10
     C – Viacheslav Krastsov 6-11

?s
    Stuckey 6-5, Middleton 6-7, Mitchell 6-8, Villanueva 6-11, Siva 6-0, English 6-6. Maxiell 6-7

Can we package some players to upgrade at SG or PG…do we sign Siva or English

• Jul 9, 20134:50 pm
      by jamesjones_det

Max is a FA isn’t he?

• Jul 9, 20135:01 pm
        by Seniorbearcat

Yep…but so was Bynum and we know that Dumars is a fan of maxiell…you never know!

• Jul 9, 20134:52 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

English is the most expendable …. type of guy that goes overseas and lives a great life

• Jul 10, 201312:24 am
      by domnick

sign Siva and dump english..

english hasnt shown enough games to dominate… and english is no PG…

Siva is needed to play PG… he’s got some potential too

• Jul 9, 20134:44 pm
    by jamesjones_det

Now I really don’t understand why we haven’t amnestied CV?  You now have a 6’9″ guy that likes to shoot 3′s that looks like he could play PF against most NBA teams if you need a 4 to stretch the floor.

Before this signing you could somewhat argue a guy like CV’s value with his range and size, now I don’t really have an argument for him or understand why he’s still on the team.  Amnesty him and let him go to another team and then maybe use the open cap space for a trade if you can.  Maybe i’m just not thinking it all the way through.

• Jul 9, 20135:04 pm
      by Who Is Us

Daytime is only 208lbs, no way he can play OF. He Is a tall back-up SG or is a good sized AT. At OF he would be hopelessly overpowered. To put it another way, he is 2inches shorter and 8+lbs smaller than Austin Daye.

• Jul 9, 20135:05 pm
        by Who Is Us

*Datome

• Jul 9, 20135:06 pm
        by Who Is Us

OF=PF

Stupid autocorrect!

• Jul 9, 20135:14 pm
        by freywagg

What the heck is an OF and an AT?

• Jul 9, 20135:31 pm
        by Who Is Us

It is my phone’s autocorrection interpretation of SG and PF.

• Jul 9, 20136:42 pm
        by oats

To be fair, it’s not like he would be that much worse defensively at the 4 than CV. Villanueva is awful. The point of going small is hoping the team will add enough offense to offset the defensive disadvantage. So while Datome should be worse defensively, he also could be a much better scorer. CV is a 34.6% 3 point shooter on his career, and Datome shot 39.4% last year and 43.2% the year before. He might be the better small ball option. Even if he isn’t, the difference most likely will not be worth CV’s contract and roster spot.

• Jul 9, 20139:31 pm
        by AlC

Austin Jackson weighs only 185 and he is a great OF.
        I don’t see what the AT-ATs from Star Wars have to do with anything though.

• Jul 9, 20135:06 pm
    by Windy

Drop English…Tony Mitchell seems like he will always be looking for the big blocked shot or dunk, to the point he gets in foul trouble…this is really where Sheed can help out, if he can teach this kid to choose his shots wisely and not get off the ground everytime a shot goes up he could do some special things…I like that he brings a little swagger to this team, we’re too freakin nice in Moose, Dre, BK7, Singler, Middleton etc…we needed a bit of an edge an guys like Mitchell and Smith will bring that PLUS Sheed should help keep them in check…

• Jul 9, 20135:12 pm
    by Windy

KCP has a shot very similar to Vinnie J…just the way he pulls up, feet extended…hope he can be a similar shooter…he also brings a toughness, KCP seems to play a physical game and has a body that could add a little weight…just my thoughts when I saw him popping shots today…I don’t care how many pundits said he was athletic, KCP is way stronger getting off the ground that I thought…Nice to see him have a game today

• Jul 9, 20135:33 pm
    by Vegeta

We finally got the cheap, tall 3pt shooting white guy this roster needs…

In the words of Ronnie Coleman:”YEAH BUDDEHHHHHH!”

• Jul 9, 20135:34 pm
    by Jim

How do e get David Lee ?

• Jul 9, 20136:43 pm
    by Grizz

Josh Smith is not necessarily our SF … In fact .. I highly doubt it ..  Why would you want a SF who cannot shoot outside well? Seems to me that Smith, Dre, and Moose are in going to be in a 3 Big Rotation at PF and Center .. With Dre probably the non-starter but getting over 30 minutes a game ..

• Jul 9, 20136:55 pm
      by ToddM

Based on last year and early returns from summer league, Drummond probably isn’t ready to play over 30 minutes a game anyway, and that doesn’t account for occasional foul trouble.  Remember, the kid is 20… next month.

• Jul 9, 20137:10 pm
      by Carl

The Hawks started Smith most games at SF with Pachuila at C and Horford at PF, including the playoffs.  Let’s give it a chance.

• Jul 9, 20138:14 pm
        by oats

That is not correct. Pachulia started 15 games and 0 post season games because he was hurt in the playoffs. They started Johan Petro in the playoffs only because they were playing that really tall Pacers team. Josh Smith had 23 regular season starts at SF, and the vast majority of them were after Louis Williams got hurt. It usually happened when they had a second guard also hurt, such as Stevenson or Harris. It was much less about moving Smith to the 3 than getting Korver to play the 2 to make up for injuries to their guards. That said, they were always interested in playing Smith at the 3 against really big teams like the Pacers and Grizzlies.

• Jul 9, 20138:20 pm
        by joe dumars

I really hate how people bring up the Pacers, Memphis, or the line up the Hawks used in the playoffs that they eventually lost as a reason why Smith as a 3 could work. Take a look at all those big men on the Pacers, Memphis, and the front court Smith played with in Atlanta and you’ll find out all those big men could hit jumpers at an efficient rate. Especially Marc Gasol, and Al Horford.

• Jul 9, 20137:02 pm
    by timetodienow1234567

I guess I don’t think as highly of Monroe as some people do. He’s a younger Al Jefferson to me with the potential to make a few all-star games. I don’t see Hall of Fame material when I look at him.

• Jul 9, 20138:01 pm
      by Jack56

Your point? acing a BIG that can make an all-star is very rare.

The guy has good post moves….can improve on defense, but still you don’t give those guys away.

Very rarely do you trade a BIG for an equal player in another position, because BIGs are so rare.

• Jul 9, 20138:20 pm
      by oats

If Jefferson could stay healthy then he could have been a hall of fame player. Seriously, he put up a 21 and 11 and followed that with a 23 and 11. He was 23 and 24 in those seasons. He got hurt yet again in that second one and never got back to that same level, but he was really good. To trade away a young Al Jefferson with no injury problems while still on his rookie contract is almost always dumb. If it gets you someone like Kevin Garnett then you live with it. Keep in mind that Jefferson had injury problems the entire time he was in Boston, and the value for him was still KG. Monroe’s value is way higher than the returns most people are looking at. He is way more valuable than an injured PG who can’t shoot and has a reputation for being hard to get along with.

• Jul 9, 201310:58 pm
      by jamesjones_det

If he improves defensively I think Moose will be a good player.  Not hall of fame (never expected that) but really good.  He’s got good feet and can pass the ball well and seems to keep adding range.  He could probably be a top 10 PF if he just plays a little better D and can start hitting 15 fts with some regularity.

• Jul 9, 20137:12 pm
    by Holy Crow

Ben Wallace.

• Jul 9, 20137:32 pm
    by angry little man

Drummond will start, so that’s the end of that nonsense of him coming off the bench. He’s our best player and a dominating force in only his 2nd year. Cant wait to see how much better he gets under Sheeds tutelage.  If Drum, Josh , and Monroe cant seem to find a rhythm by the allstar break then I can see how Monroe gets benched in favor of Smith at least @ the 4 spot.

Cant wait to see how Datome plays, If he can spread the floor we will definetly go to the playoffs.

Miami and San Antonio for years have had devastating results using the inside/outside game, looks like Joe might acutally have a plan.

• Jul 9, 20137:36 pm
    by angry little man

Cant wait to see what Pope brings to the table too. Esp the 3 ball.

• Jul 9, 20139:47 pm
      by Jamarco McNutt

LOL.  Greg Monroe isnt an all star right now.  I hope he gets to that level but he isnt there yet.  From summer league play you can see also how far Drummond has to go.  He looks lost in the post often times turning over the wrong shoulder and having the wrong pivot foot.  Oh yeah, threw about 3 shots over the rim.  Loong way to go fellas.  Sorry.  Dominating force…Not yet.  KCP better makes shots simple as that.

• Jul 9, 20139:45 pm

Stuckey: 23
    Singler: 20
    Datome: 16
    Bynum: 11
    JJ: 11

Reasoning.
    Smith, Monroe, and Drummond all need to be starters if for no other reason that to appease their egos and the fans. They would need good outside shooters alongside them Knight and KCP would play that role.

In this scenario…
    The “Big 3″ are only on the floor together for 12 minutes a game and always surrounded shooters. Yet two of the tree of them are always on the floor.

Josh Smith only plays 12 minutes a game at SF. So stop freaking out.

Drummond plays 30 mins a game, those hoping he would play more are being irrational, he plays hard and is huge. 30 minutes a game is about the max we could expect from him this year.

Stuckey is essentially our 6th man; obviously everybody hates Stuckey, but this is a fair role for him.

• Jul 9, 20139:50 pm
      by RP

I didn’t include Mitchell or Siva, because I am unsure of whether or not they will get PT immediately. Hopefully Mitchell will, and if that were the case he would take Singler’s slot once at SF and JJ’s slot once and play 11 minutes a game. I don’t see Siva or Middleton playing very much except in garbage time. No team has a 12 man rotation.

• Jul 9, 201311:36 pm

Ooh, this sounds like a Lawrence Frank gameplan. Go into every game knowing exactly what you are going to do and then stick to it.

• Jul 10, 20131:11 am
        by RP

Every coach in the NBA has a basic rotation, obviously it can be adjusted based on who’s playing well.

• Jul 10, 20131:52 am
    by FutureMogul

PG: W. Bynum 22mins/ B. Knight 13mins/ Billups 13mins
    SG: Rudy Gay 23mins/ KCP 12mins/ B.Knight 10mins/ Luigi Datome 3mins
    SF: J.Smith 25mins/ Rudy Gay 8mins/ Luigi Datome 12mins/ KCP 3mins
    PF: G.Monroe 25mins/ J.Smith 10mins/ J.Maxiel 13mins
    C: Drummond 28mins/ G.Monroe 12mins/ Jerebko 8mins

Pistons still have even more qualified bench contributors that didnt even make this list:
    LAST SEASON K.Singler avg 28mins, K.Middleton avg 17mins, C. Maggette avg 14min. Roster competion is at an all-time high for Pistons as Maxiel avg 25mins, Jerbko avg 18min Last Year

Expect Drummond, Datome and KCP minutes to increase as season goes on.
    Main/ 3pt TriggerMen: Billups, Datome, Knight
    Pistons stills wont be good 3pt team, but will have many Free Throws & Dunks & Rebounds
    In 2-3 years pistons will either be East Title contending or a team with a lot of Young Assets & Cap Space

• Jul 10, 20135:55 am
    by Terrell

Did anyone realize that both wing players can create their own shot. This will take a lot of pressure of brandon knight at the pg. I rather them trade moose for rondo, but I can see the three bigs working out. if Joe was smart he would sign Chauncey Billups back.because Chauncey Billups was the same type of combo guard coming into the league as Brandon Knight. he can mentor the young point guard and show him how to transition to be a point guard. or another option would be to Hire larry  Brown as some kind of personnel development coach because he was the real reason why billups was able to make the transition from combo guard to point guard.

• [...] is assuredly exciting and can’t really be argued with if the Pistons become a playoff team. They brought in Luigi Datome which really excited me. Who doesn’t want a Luigi on their team? ( I can see it now… [...]