Pistons reportedly interested in Chauncey Billups as a backup, but would Billups be interested in them?

Chris Broussard of ESPN.com:

Chauncey Billups looking to play 2 more years. Several clubs interested in him as backup, which he understands. Detroit has done interest

Billups will turn 37 during the season and dealt with a myriad of injuries last season, including coming back from a torn Achilles tendon, limiting him to just 22 games for the Clippers. There wasn’t much for Billups to do there, other than shoot threes (he hit a reasonable 37 percent of them), with Chris Paul handling all of the Point God responsibilities. I think the immediate reaction from Pistons fans seeing Billups, a beloved former Pistons and one of the most respected players in the NBA, back on a modest contract, serving a mentoring role to Brandon Knight, would be unbelievably positive. There is a small issue though — Broussard’s report indicates the Pistons are interested in him, but it remains to be seen how interested he is in the Pistons.

Billups recently shared his thoughts on the Pistons’ selection of Darko Milicic with Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports:

“If he had drafted either Melo or Bosh, I think maybe that whole team would still be together,’’ Billups said. “We probably would have more championships down the road. But this is the NBA and things happen. But, of course, I always think about that.’’

That’s not necessarily a jab at the front office, but Billups did at one time harbor some ill-will toward Joe Dumars. From Vincent Goodwill of The Detroit News in December 2012:

“Me and Joe at one time were really tight. I can’t honestly tell you it’s like that,” Billups said. “The trade, the way it was handled, led to the strain in the relationship. It’s cool now, though. We’ve talked about it now.”

“Joe and I, we’re cool. We text from time to time. I had dinner with Jordan (Dumars, Joe’s son) a couple months ago in L.A. We speak, we text.”

Time had to heal an old wound, considering Billups long admired Dumars and wanted to follow in Dumars’ footsteps as a player-turned-executive.

“He and I did have a long, long conversation,” Dumars said. “It was good to have. From that point on, that’s when we’ve gotten back to checking on each other and seeing how we were.”

I’m glad that Dumars and Billups seem to have, according to that report, mended their relationship some. But bad feelings from how Dumars broke up that team have been alluded to before. Rip Hamilton made it clear in one of his return trips as a Bull that he was not close with Dumars anymore. Tayshaun Prince didn’t say anything inflammatory upon leaving, but he did state that he was surprised by the trade based on what the Pistons front office had told him about his role when he re-signed. I think there’s a good amount of evidence that that very close-knit starting five had some resentment toward Dumars when they made their exits from Detroit.

But there’s also good evidence that some have moved past the anger about how it all ended. Ben Wallace returned for three seasons to finish his career (unless he wants one more year in a mentor role too … I’m sure he’s in playing shape). Rasheed Wallace has been linked to an assistant coaching job. And, at one time as Goodwill noted above, Billups would frequently make it known that he wanted to move into the front office of a team after his playing career ends with Dumars as the example he wanted to follow. Perhaps Billups can help share his wisdom with Detroit’s young guards and Dumars can extend an olive branch for the past hurt feelings by giving Billups the opportunity to start getting acclimated to a management role.

All of that is a long-winded way of saying it would be awesome to have you back in any capacity, Mr. Billups.

• Jul 4, 201312:17 am
    by Walt

Those Point God responsibilities are crazy.

• Jul 4, 201312:20 am
    by Walt

Maybe Billups can take over if Dumars is fired.

• Jul 4, 201312:21 am
    by domnick

where is the trade now?!! why there are no reports of surfacing trades! come on JOE D! do something!

• Jul 4, 20131:08 am
      by Chris

DON’T TEMPT HIM!  honestly if they’re just gonna waste their cap space on overpaid mediocrity I’d rather they just didn’t use it at all.

• Jul 4, 20131:41 am
        by mike

hmm, its not your money, so why wouldnt you rather have “mediocre” talent added than no talent at all?

Really tired of this stance from fans. (personal attack removed)

• Jul 4, 20132:13 am
          by Jordan

Oh no someone has a different opinion on how to build a team. I know! I’ll just insult him, that way everyone will respect my opinion more! I’m so smart.

• Jul 4, 20133:47 am
            by Vince

^

• Jul 4, 201312:30 am
    by cali piston fan

I would welcome Billups back with open arms. I would also like to see Joe D make some moves, even if it’s Josh Smith or Iggy.

I put Josh Smith on my 2K13 piston roster and dude had 7 blocks at the small forward position… I’m just sayin.

• Jul 4, 201312:32 am
      by Vince

Because 2K13 is the best way to evaluate a player…

• Jul 4, 20131:09 am
        by gmehl

Hey don’t knock it… maybe it was Superstarr level.

• Jul 4, 201312:31 am
    by Vince

It would be great if Billups came back to Detroit, I think it would be a great reunion, and I for one would would be lying if I said I always wanted him to retire in Detroit blue red and white. Billups is still one of my favorite players of all time, if we can re-sign him to a modest contract I’m all for it.

That being said we need to be realistic, Billups is 36, he has been chasing championships for a few years now and almost retired when he got picked up by the Clips pre-Chris Paul, what on earth would be his motivation to sign with us? Not to mention he stated at some point that he was hoping to play for the Heat during the 2014 season.

As much as Pistons fan love Billups, and as much as he fondly remembers the Pistons at this stage in his career we all need to be realistic, odds he agrees to sign in Detroit are extremely low.

• Jul 4, 201312:33 am
      by Vince

and I for one would  be lying if I said I never wanted him to retire in Detroit blue red and white.*

• Jul 4, 201311:11 am
      by I HATE FRANK

if Billups is Interested in Life after basketball, it would be a smart move by him to come back to Detroit …maybe in a player assistant coach role…get in good with Gore… build a great relationship with Drummond and the other young players….

So even if Dumars is fired, he has a foundation to build off

• Jul 4, 201312:42 am
    by haydzzz

All I hear is how many players Detroit are interested in, yet nobody really wants to come here. Dumars has to get us a first rounder back! Because with a lot of teams tanking its gonna be easier for us to get out of that bottom 8. We need a star pg or small forward and no I don’t mean josh smith

• Jul 4, 20131:04 am
    by Tiko

Things are too slow nowadays. When’s something gonna happen?

• Jul 4, 20131:07 am
    by frankie d

Signing billups would almost make up for all of the stupid stuff dumars hss done over the last few months.
    I would bet that he would snatch the starter’s role after 20 games or so, considering the state of the team’s point guards as of today.

• Jul 4, 20131:18 am
    by cali piston fan

I dont know about the rest of you but im tired of loosing. If overpaying a player or two makes us winners then “Get it girl” in my Camron voice.

• Jul 4, 20131:22 am
    by Einstein

Regardless of whether there’s interest from Chauncey, he would always be welcome back in Detroit. But this time, it would be as “mentoring 3rd PG” b/c there’s little chance he would play over Will Bynum, when we hopefully resign him.

• Jul 4, 20131:39 am
    by cali piston fan

Vince, I take it your a NBA Live guy.

• Jul 4, 20131:50 am
      by Vince

Hahaha nope, I’m a 2k fan.

• Jul 4, 20132:57 am
      by gmehl

I’m assuming he just doesn’t use NBA2K for advanced stats and player fits.

• Jul 4, 20132:36 am
    by Lorenzo

Certainly isn’t close to the Billups of old…though would certainly give a solid veteran presence in locker room along with spot minutes when required.

• Jul 4, 20138:38 am
    by I HATE FRANK

Billups would be a great on the floor and on the Bench leader for this young Pistons team

• Jul 4, 20138:43 am
    by RyanK

I was feed up with Billups and the rest of the team (except Dyce).  They weren’t give it there all and it was disappointment after disappointment, when they should have been winning.  They were not playing hard in the playoffs.  It always seemed they wouldn’t play hard unless their backs were against the wall…  All those playoff games and only swept one series is proof of that..

That team should have won multiple championships.  It was a tough decision to break them up, but I’m sure Joe D like myself couldn’t take it anymore.

• Jul 4, 20138:55 am
      by I HATE FRANK

it became a very arrogant squad…

they lost to Lebron out of Arrogance, yes Lebron was great in that game but as a team thinking they can turn it on defensively when they wanted or needed to is what hurt them the most…
      But Billups has matured alot since then

• Jul 4, 20139:33 am
        by ryan

I definitely agree Chauncey Billups had become arrogant and guilty of believing the hype. I wish Joe Dumars could’ve woke him up without trading him but I don’t know how he could’ve.

That said I’d love to see Chauncey Billups back here in a coaching and playing role for a couple of years and then transition into the front office. I hope he and Rasheed Wallace both come back. I have a lot of love for those guys… I always wish they’d been able to win one for Antonio McDyess.

• Jul 4, 201310:25 am
    by Desolation Row

Please make this happen. And when we fire Mo Cheeks in two years, Billups can step in as coach at the end of his player contract. It all works out so nicely.

• Jul 4, 201311:54 am
      by frankie d

That was my thought also.
      Btw, yes, chauncey, sheed and company had grown dangerously arrogant.  But they lost that infamous “lebron” game because of lousy coaching. Flip refused to doubleteam or even try to get the ball out of lebron’s hands.
      Chuck daly had to be ouulling his hair out.
      That coaching – or nonncoaching – move cost detroit that game and the series.

• Jul 4, 201310:53 am
    by I HATE FRANK

I am happy Mayo is off the market

• Jul 4, 201311:04 am
    by Travis

Off topic: A Detroit News article has an ineresting piece of information. Jordan Dumars is part of Trey Burke’s management team.

• Jul 4, 201312:24 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Pistons most be working on something huge…

• Jul 4, 201312:47 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

JR Smith was cheaper than expected

• Jul 4, 20137:31 pm
    by brandow

since cheeks wants to bring sheed as an assisstant, why not bring billups as an assisstant. and not to mention big ben. all three of those former pistons great and 04 champs can teach the young guys their championship skills. hell maybe if rip and tayshaun retire all five starters of the 04 champs can be assisstant.