Pistons offer Rodney Stuckey and Charlie Villanueva to Raptors for Rudy Gay

Marc Stein of ESPN:

My man @WindhorstESPN reporting that Pistons have offered expiring deals of Rodney Stuckey and Charlie Villanueva to Toronto for Rudy Gay

You can read my thoughts at ProBasketballTalk, but there might be more outrage coming here, too.

• Jul 3, 201312:34 am
    by jacob

@Dan, why not trade stuckey and Charlie V for Gay? Really. We don’t lose cap space and Stuckey and Charlie V are garbage. It’s not like we would be giving up anything.

• Jul 3, 201312:35 am
    by tiko

this would be amazing if pulled off…

• Jul 3, 201312:39 am
    by RobG

Dan, I agree with your premiss that the Pistons could amnesty Charlie V and could have bought out Rodney for 4.5 million, but I just don’t see Gores taking on all of that dead money.

What I like about this potential deal is that the Pistons should still have near 20 million dollars of free money, so if they did want to add another free agent or make a trade, that cap room could be huge.  The Pistons cap situation is what Toronto would like to have a year from now, but cap room is only as good as the players you spend it on.

If Joe Dumars and Tom Gores refuse to tank under any situation, as they have shown the past two years, then I say that I guess I would rather watch Gay play than I would Rodney or Charlie.

• Jul 3, 201312:41 am
    by MrCarter

Are you kidding me? Stuckey/Villanueva for Rudy Gay? I would be dancing naked in the streets with champagne all over me if this happened. Granted, he’s not the greatest shooter. But he’s a go-to scorer who’s only 27 who would fill our small forward spot and we basically give up NOTHING to get him. Heck, I might be even willing to throw in Kyle Singler to help clinch this deal. And btw, if this deal went down we would still have our cap room for THIS summer to go after even more roster upgrades. Man, this would be awesome.

• Jul 3, 201312:59 am
      by Matt

I would love this. Potential all star for free. Expiring deal for 2 expiring deals. Yes please. I would trade those 2 for a klondike bar so to to get Rudy Gay for them would be amazing. It doesn’t hurt our cap space any so we can still go after Smith or Iggy. Wow Smith would give us a huge starting 5. I doubt we’ll ever be outrebounded. Maybe Iggy would probably be best.

• Jul 3, 20131:21 am
        by Jon

where would you put smith if gay was here? iggy could play sg but i’m not sure where you would put smith

• Jul 3, 201312:44 am
    by Taylor

Best case scenario for us with Stuckey and Charlie’s contracts and makes sense for the Raptors sense Rudy doesn’t fit with Derozen since they are both slashers.

• Jul 3, 201312:44 am
    by Martin

This would be great, ill take him before smith or iggy

• Jul 3, 201312:45 am
    by Bun B

This would be awful. Gay is a negative value player. I’d rather just see KCP eat up those minutes and learn on the job. You cannot win with Gay. Period. He cannot shoot or play defense. He is the most overpaid player in the league.

• Jul 3, 20131:26 am
      by Jon

KCP is a shooting guard. Rudy Gay is a small forward maybe even a stretch 4. there would be little overlap. there’s no denying his defense could be better and his shot making but his shot looks good so one would think it would eventually start going in. as for his defense he has all the tools, it just doesn’t show results for whatever reason probably lack of effort but unless the goal is to tank next season there is no question that rudy gay makes this a better team than stuckey and cv plus if it doesn’t work out, just don’t resign him next year.

• Jul 3, 20131:41 am
        by jacob

HAHA no way jon lets extend CV and Stuckey.

• Jul 3, 201312:48 am
    by Mel

I get it, reverse psychology to get Toronto to bite. Great Move Dan!

• Jul 3, 201312:50 am
    by domnick

we get a clutch! period!! for stuckey, CV, singler and another player or 2nd round pick should be DEAL!

• Jul 3, 201312:51 am
    by Matt

Another we should look at. At least I’d look into. Bledsoe just got traded to the Suns, now what happens to Goran Dragic. I’d look into acquiring him. Goran Dragic, Rudy Gay, and either Iggy or Smith we would be a playoff team. My only concern would be flexibility. Aside from Rudy Gay the others are all long term deals. If they win good, if not they still all have trade value so it isn’t a big concern but still there.

Pretty much anything we do is going to upset people. It doesn’t sound like anyone will be impressed with any player we sign until they prove their worth on the floor. No acquisition will impress everyone.

• Jul 3, 20131:05 am
      by MrCarter

No joke thats the first thing I thought after I learned of that deal. Dragic is basically a younger version of Calderon. I’ve been living in AZ for the last 7 years and have seen a lot of him so I know what I’m talking about. He’s a bit better defensively too and is only 27. Would love to have him as our floor general of the future.

• Jul 3, 20131:29 am
      by Jon

i think phoenix has said they want to use both of them in the same backcourt but if he could be gotten for cheap dragic would be a nice fit

• Jul 3, 20138:28 am

I like Dragic significantly more than Vasquez. But I also expect his price tag will be higher.

• Jul 3, 201312:53 am
    by Quick Darshan

I see very little downside to this.  Gay’s contract is only for two more years.  Plus, the Pistons would still have about 19mil in cap space.  You could sign Jose Calderon and a SG (and maybe even a backup big).

• Jul 3, 201312:53 am
    by Brod Inc.

@BunB KCP would start at SG?

• Jul 3, 20131:03 am
      by jacob

ya some people just comment to say ignorant things!

• Jul 3, 201312:56 am
    by RobG

RE: Rondo, with this potential deal, I am now more intrigued if we offered Boston Brandon Knight, a first round pick and a trade exception cap space for Rondo and Lee.  The deal would completely clear the books for Boston besides G. Wallace and remake the Pistons with the pieces needed around Drummond.

• Jul 3, 201312:17 pm
      by Byron

The soonest first round pick we can trade is 2018 because of the deal with Charlotte. I don’t think Boston is going to want a pick that far away.

• Jul 3, 201312:57 am
    by Victor

As someone said, Gay’s a slasher. I’m as worried about his fit with Drummond and Monroe as I’d be if we signed Smith.

That said, I agree Pistons are getting a good (but inefficient) offensive player for 2 players that are not in their future plans.

If KCP proves to be the shooter that he’s advertised, this starting line up would be fun to watch:

Calderon, KCP, Gay, Moose, Drummond.

The issue with this line is pretty simple: defense. Pistons would be just a mediocre team with about US$ 14 million (20 million minus 4 paid to Calderon) to spend on FAs that won’t make this team a real contender.

I see only one way for this team to be a good one. Moose, Drummond and Knight must improve their games.

• Jul 3, 20131:35 am
      by Jon

more than likely all three will improve their games as they are 4th year 3rd year and 2nd year players respectively. if one wasn’t going to improve it would be monroe but it’s almost inevitable knight and drummond will become better as they grow

• Jul 3, 20133:46 am

But he’s a slasher who can shoot. He may not be at his best shooting, but at least he can do it. That’s a big step up from some guys.

• Jul 3, 201310:44 am
      by Who Is Us

it is gonna cost way more than $4mil. To sign Calderon in this offseason, will probably take at least double that.

• Jul 3, 20131:30 pm

Then he’s not worth it.

• Jul 3, 201312:57 am
    by Mike

So Dan hates this deal because he thinks the Pistons should have made a series of moves to clear roughly $32-35m in cap space, and what purpose would have that served, exactly? Who are we getting that Dan thinks would be such a good fit for all that money? He doesn’t want Josh Smith. He doesn’t want Iguodala. Who are all these players the Pistons would be best served to get with all that glorious cap space? Saving it all for next season isn’t an option, because they have to get to the cap floor this season, and thus would need to take on at least $25+ million in salary before the end of the season.

Not spending money won’t get you laughed at for making bad deals, but it’s not doing much of anything to help the team win. Put a plan out there of better moves, and let’s consider it. If you’re just anti-making any moves, I’m not sure what the point of all your cap space is.

• Jul 3, 20131:02 am
      by Martin

Well said mike

• Jul 3, 20131:03 am
      by Mike

And for the record, I don’t want Josh Smith, and Iguodala scares me to death because of his age. I’m not even disagreeing with not wanting those guys. At some point, though, you either need to stop complaining about not adding more cap space, or you need to accept that you need to fill all that cap space with players who might be overpaid. This is a deal where they would theoretically add Rudy Gay while still protecting $20m or so in cap space. What are the options that are better than Dumars needs to look into? Whether this deal is great for Toronto or not is irrelevant to whether it’s good for us, too.

• Jul 3, 20131:45 am
        by Jon

agreed. it puts us back in the same money situation that we’re already in except with a player that can actually contribute as opposed to two players who do nothing. the pistons will need to match whatever offers monroe gets next year which will probably be close to max deals and that kind of deal as well as gay still being there would pretty much eliminate any hope at big FA’s in 2014 so i guess in that thinking it makes sense to not like the trade but then gay would just be an expiring deal that could be dealt to another team that thinks 2015 is their year for FAs

• Jul 3, 20131:07 am
      by Alex

Can’t we sign Trey Burke to a $32M/year deal?

• Jul 3, 20133:57 am
      by Dan Feldman

When have I ever said I don’t want Smith or Iguodala?

Also, a team can use one-year contracts to reach the salary floor and not lose flexibility for next off-season.

• Jul 3, 20138:54 am
        by G

They aren’t going to sign a good FA to a 1-yr deal though. Not anyone in the top 2 or 3 tiers anyway. I don’t like this Rudy Gay deal because it ties up a TON of salary next year, which is supposed to be a REALLY good FA year. And I thought we got rid of BG to free up salary space, now it looks like they’re ready to make the same mistake again.

For myself, I wouldn’t mind an Iguodala signing (short term contract, maybe 3 years) if they handcuffed him with a better offensive player like Kevin Martin (also to a 2-3yr deal).

• Jul 3, 20139:53 am

Someone like Mayo you might be able to get on a one year deal if you gave him about $15M. But much better to sign your favorite F and frontload the deal as much as possible.

Unfortunately, I’m unclear on the nature of how contracts are and aren’t allowed to be structured.

• Jul 3, 201312:59 am
    by Mel

Rudy Gay plays Small forward, plus Drummond would pick up Rudy’s mistakes or KPC can switch on defense. I’m glad KPC loves to play defense and can. That changes the teams dynamic with just him as a player.

• Jul 3, 20131:03 am
    by neutes

Let’s start with how hilarious this offer must’ve been for Toronto to hear. Then let’s laugh at Feldman for sounding all butthurt about it from our side. If you only see Gay as the player he was last year, then yeah, I could see why someone might have some issues with trying to acquire him. He has had some productive seasons prior to last season, and it’s not like we’d be giving up anything of real value. I’ll take it.

• Jul 3, 20131:06 am
      by jacob

Exactly we are getting rid of trash for a better player than stuckey and cv put together. Without having to amnesty Cv and pay him. Alost he plays the position we most need besides maybe a pg. BUT it doesn’t cut into our cap. So we can still sign a PG.

• Jul 3, 20131:07 am
      by Mike

This move is a home run for Toronto if they want to tear it all down (which rumors have suggested their new GM wants to do). I doubt they laughed at this at all, even if they choose not to accept it.

• Jul 3, 20131:12 am
        by neutes

A home run? Let’s see. They gave up Calderon, Davis, and a 1st rounder just to acquire Gay. They then just traded Bargnani for Camby, Novak, a 1st rounder, and a 2nd rounder. We just offered Stuckey and Villanueva for Gay.

So you’re saying it’s a home run for them to accept both less than they gave up for Gay and just traded Bargnani for?

Don’t get me wrong from a Pistons perspective I think it’s a fair deal. But from a Toronto perspective it looks pretty bad.

• Jul 3, 20131:19 am
          by Mike

Gay makes nearly twice as much as Bargnani, and it’s harder to absorb that salary.

Maybe home run was a wrong word choice, but it’s at least a solid double for Toronto if they’re just looking to tank. With a new GM in place, a lot of people believe that’s what they want to do. If so, this deal is pretty close to ideal for them.

• Jul 3, 20131:25 am
            by neutes

Personally I think it’s the offer we needed to start with. Toronto is close to being in the luxury so it’s possible they won’t even want both. But it’s also possible they will want some actual talent like Knight or Jerebko too. Getting rid of guys just to get rid of them doesn’t usually turn out well even if you are in tank mode.

• Jul 3, 20131:50 am
            by Jon

it makes more sense for them this year bc their home country hero also happens to be the best player since lebron so i’m willing to bet they’d do almost anything to get him, which includes tearing down the roster to the point where they’ll break the bobcats record for worst ever

• Jul 3, 20138:30 am

What they gave up for Gay is irrelevant. He’s proven he’s not worth nearly that.

• Jul 3, 20131:10 am
    by frankie d

I guess  no one paid attention to what  memphis did.  They dumped gay, put a “lesser” talented guy – tay – in his place and made it farther than they ever did with gay.
    Why would anyone want to go back to what memphis was lucky enough to get away from?
    Talk about fool’s gold.  Gay is the poster child.
    Joe d is really  ruining the team.
    Is he doing it on purpose?

• Jul 3, 20131:27 am
      by jacob

We are only offering Charlie V and Stuckey hahaha who gives a shit who we get for those 2. Seriously who gives a shit. It’s not like we are offering anything of value at all. We have the same cap space. Seriously. Or wait lets keep stuckey and cv since they are awesome. I mean way awesome. They are so awesome that .. I don’t even know.

• Jul 3, 20131:37 am
        by frankie d

I dont want gay  on any team i root for.
        Plain and simple.  Doesnt matter who  you have to trade.  I wouldnt trade the trainer for him.  He is a negative.  For every  impressive shot he makes there are 5 questionable ones.
        There is a reason memphis got better once they dumped him.  Anyone paying attention could see that.

• Jul 3, 20131:43 am
          by jacob

They got to the WCF by default and then lost because they couldn’t score.

• Jul 3, 20131:46 am
            by jacob

Actually they got their fucking asses kicked.

• Jul 3, 201310:04 am

You’re awfully dismissive of the Clippers and Thunder.

Of course, Detroit is very different from Memphis. Memphis was about equal with or without Gay because they had talented, efficient scorers who Gay was taking the ball away from. Detroit doesn’t.

• Jul 3, 20138:07 am
          by Blocks by Dre

They went against a Thunder team without Westbrook…we would have a shot too especially the way KD played

• Jul 3, 20138:16 am
          by Matt

They won 66% before and 72% after. Not a huge difference. They played some pretty awful teams after the trade, spiked their winning percentage. Memphis would have won those first 2 series with or without Gay. They stopped the Clippers from even looking at the paint and took away the SG position. If I recall one game Chauncy and Butler went 0-10, plus Griffin got hurt. OKC didn’t have Westbrook. No Westbrook, no offence. Could Rudy Gay have come in handy when they couldn’t break 90 against the Spurs? Most Likely.

Point is Rudy Gay’s better than anyone we have at the 3 and Stuckey and Villinueva are awful. Rudy Gay is also an expiring deal too so 17 mill in useless players with expiring deals for 17 mill in a useful player with an expiring deal. No reason not to take it.

• Jul 3, 20138:59 am
            by Matt

Well Rudy Gay isn’t expiring but close. Just one more year and with this young team it might be a good thing. Especially with Dragic or Rondo it’ll take time to jell. With 22 mill I’m kind of hoping for Dragic, Gay, and Iggy. I don’t think we’ll have enough for Rondo. Not if we give both expiring deals to Toronto. We’ll have to chose Rondo or Gay, either works for me. Maybe trade for Gay, sign Smith, and hope to God Monroe and Knight gets Rondo. Mid level exception would sign a score first SG that can hold the spot for KCP. I don’t know if we have a mid level exception but it sounds good. Maybe bring Rip back. Chicago is supposed to wave him.

Rondo
            Rip/KCP
            Gay
            Smith
            Drummond
            HELLO PLAYOFFS!!!

• Jul 3, 20131:32 pm

Bring Rip back? Are you serious?

• Jul 3, 20131:37 am
      by Mike

Westbrook getting hurt had nothing to do with Memphis getting further, right? And Prince’s inability to shoot didn’t cost them at all in the WCF, right?

I’m not a huge Rudy Gay fan. He’s obviously got some flaws. That doesn’t mean he’s a bad player. Being drastically overpaid doesn’t make him awful.

• Jul 3, 20131:36 pm

Let’s see… Did someone claim that “Memphis caught some breaks like virtually every team that ever experiences playoff success does” or that “They got to the WCF by default”?

After careful examination, I conclude the latter.

• Jul 3, 20131:47 am
      by PG

Would you prefer Stuckey and Charlie eat up minutes intended for our young talents (KCP and Mitchell) or play Gay at the 3 and give us perimeter defense?

• Jul 3, 20131:53 am
        by Jon

no that makes too much sense.

• Jul 3, 20131:26 am
    by Victor

List Raptors to the tanking fest going on next season… Welcome 2014, the year when we pick nobody and the draft class will be epic!

• Jul 3, 20131:30 am
    by jacob

Negative people suck. BTW.

• Jul 3, 20131:38 am
    by Mike

This is a great move that can help us build here’s why. After this trade we should go hard at josh smith and sign him. Then go hard at rondo trading Monroe and others.
    Starting 5
    Rondo/KCP/Gay/JSmith/Drummond
    This puts us in direct contention with the best in the east
     I see what Dumars is doin also this is very calculated Rondo and J Smith were teammates at oak hill
    Rudy Gay and Drummond are both former Huskies
    Team with size, defense, scoring, and built chemistry

• Jul 3, 20131:44 am
      by jacob

yup exactly mike. you get it. others just don’t. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting it to work . This is something new and really good shot it would work.

• Jul 3, 20139:06 am
        by G

It’s a better roster than they currently have, but the outside shooting would be TERRIBLE. Not to mention the fact that they could hardly afford to sign Smith while carrying Gay’s behemoth contract & Rondo’s $13M.

• Jul 3, 20139:15 am
        by G

Or they could, but then they couldn’t sign anyone else & they’d be stuck with a stars & scrubs lineup, like what Miami had in 2011 but with worse stars.

• Jul 3, 201310:14 am
          by Jon

it all works cap wise even with signing and keeping both our second rounders. i think that roster  would have enough off the bench to contend. a three guard rotation with situational play from siva would be good. knight might not be a great point guard but he certainly looks good enough to be a potent 6th man. singler and middleton are good enough to back up the sf and play sg guard for a little bit each game. mitchell, if he figures out his game, will be a great backup at the 4. the only real weakness i see is slava backing up drummond. pistons might have to have some small ball lineups for when drummond is tired

• Jul 3, 20131:40 pm

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting it to work”

That’s why when a player drives down the lane, gets hacked but it’s a no call, and can’t get the bucket, he should give up being aggressive at getting into the paint for the rest of the game.

• Jul 3, 20131:51 am
      by neutes

you lost me at trade Monroe…

• Jul 3, 20131:56 am
      by Jon

the defense would be unreal. a guy at every position with the physical potential to lockdown their man and three guys already recognized as great defenders. the shooting would suck but so would the other teams’

• Jul 3, 20131:59 am
        by Jon

and knight still here to play sixth man offense guy. when he comes in the shooting would actually be decent and the defensive potential would still be there

• Jul 3, 20131:57 am
      by mike

Bingo, Mike. And it makes sense why Dumars first order of business was to be at Josh Smiths house at 12:01, but not actually make an offer. He needed to go pitch the plan to Smith and find out if he was down before going and trading Monroe away for Rondo.

I read a tweet that said Smith called our pitch “intriguing, to say the least”. That now makes sense if our pitch was indeed plans to get Rondo and Gay and Smith together. I too would describe that idea as intriguing to say the least.

• Jul 3, 20135:33 am
      by Jens

100% agree. A Monroe for Rondo trade is an absolute no brainer imo. What People tend to Forget is the fact, that Greg is up for an Extension. And evn, if that´s a reasonable 9-10 millions/year it´s not that big of a difference compared to 12/13 per year for Josh Smith. So, if Monroe for Smith is a wash regarding the next 5 years, the chance of getting our Hands on a sure fire All-Star PG is an easy call.

What I don´t get, is: How is Houston supposed to pay for all this stuff, they are doing. They signed Lin and Asik for ridiculous (!!!) contracts last year. They Count against the cap with 15 mill/year from next year on. Those are easily the worst contracts in the league by then. If you add Hardens max with another 15, you have 45 millions for 3 Players. And two of those are not even great! Then add 22 millions for Howard and an extension for Parsons (7 mill/per) and you are in luxury tax Areas with your starting five alone. As you Need at least 12 players on your roster, they have to sign 7 more guys at least and everybody counts like 4 dollars for 1 with the new tax.

I only hope obody is going to bail this Morey Psycho out of this self created tax hell :-)

• Jul 3, 20139:07 am
        by Matt

Careful with the moves we’re talking about in a few years they could be saying that for us. We could run up our own tax hell. Carma is powerful don’t mess with it.

• Jul 3, 201310:18 am
          by Jon

if all those moves go through the only year we’ll probably go over is the cap is 2014-15 but as first time offenders (i’m just assuming we’d be first time offenders) it shouldn’t be too bad and after that rondo, gay, and knight come off the books so we’d be right back to having space

• Jul 3, 20131:38 am
    by Satchel

Who gets the best player in the trade? They say never trade two nickels for a dime in the NBA. This is two IOUs for a quarter. It’s the greatest pistons trade since Rasheed if they get it done.

Who is going to offer Toronto a better deal? Thats really the best deal they can get? The most despised player (by fans) in the history of the FRANCHISE and the underperformer who led management to push Chauncey out. There is ZERO love for these two in Detroit. For that alone its worth it to the fan base. I can’t believe it won’t at least cost singer, too.

• Jul 3, 20131:53 am
    by MrCarter

Btw, you people do realize that the Raptors did BETTER when Rudy Gay was acquired right? Enough with all this “He’s a negative. He’s a loser.” crap. I’d love to have him.

• Jul 3, 20131:54 am
    by MrCarter

Btw, you people do realize that the Raptors did BETTER when Rudy Gay was acquired right? Enough with all this “He’s a negative. He’s a loser.” crap. All I know is he’s a guy we could definitely use.

• Jul 3, 20131:57 am
    by neutes

Btw, you people do realize that the Raptors did BETTER when Rudy Gay was acquired right? Enough with all this “He’s a negative. He’s a loser.” crap. He’s not that bad of a players.

• Jul 3, 20132:05 am
    by Mike

The decision to trade Monroe is easy for me. I look at Monroe as a great player but is he more valuable to a winning team than Rondo? NOPE then we have a replacement we can sign in josh smith who gIves is better production than Monroe and better defense better spacing for Drummond. If Dumars can get Rudy gay , smith and rondo we have a foundation for a championship in my opinion.

• Jul 3, 20132:15 am
      by Jon

drummond might be better than all of them. he’s not right now but he’s got all the potential in the world

• Jul 3, 20132:22 am
        by jacob

We would still be big and athletic. Gives us a shot in the east. what else could you ask for? All I want is a chance. That’s all you can ask for. Just give us chance. You never know what can happen.

• Jul 3, 20132:30 am
          by Jon

sorry if i sounded like i was disagreeing. i think lineup would absolutely put us in contention in the east. gay smith rondo alone would put a team in the playoffs. add in elite rim protection in drummond, a scoring punch off the bench from knight, and any shooting and wing defense you can get from kcp and that makes a contender. plus the smart play of singler and tony mitchell who no one knows how good he can be. it would definitely look good on paper, that’s for sure

• Jul 3, 20132:35 am
            by jacob

I think anything that would get us back in contention is worth it. I really hope the Gay trade goes through. I wouldn’t mind seeing Rondo KCP Gay Monroe Drummond.

• Jul 3, 20133:48 am

How do you suggest acquiring Rondo in that scenario? You think the Celtics will trade him for Knight?

• Jul 3, 20138:32 am

Stuck + CV for Gay doesn’t make the Pistons contenders. But it could put them back in the playoffs.

• Jul 3, 201310:20 am
            by Jon

i think it could if you got gay, smith and traded monroe for rondo

• Jul 3, 20131:41 pm

I guess that would depend on what you call contenders. Are 5-7 seeds contenders?

• Jul 3, 20132:25 am
      by neutes

you realize Monroe is 22 years old right? and on a rookie contract? And Josh Smith is 28 and costs $15 million per season? and Rudy Gay is 26 and costs $18 million per season? and Rondo is 28 and has 2 years left on his deal at $10 million per season and he’ll want way more than that after that’s up? And we also are probably going to have to give Drummond a huge contract?

Signing a 28 year old player to a $15 million per year contract doesn’t justify trading a 22 year old big man on a rookie contract for a veteran PG also making a lot of money to me. Maybe that’s just, like, my opinion, man. Just doesn’t seem like we’re building towards a championship as much as we’re building towards some messed up cap situation and the 5th seed.

• Jul 3, 20132:38 am
        by Jon

15 is too much but 12 would fit in with the cap for the next two years if we got rid of jerebko after the year is over. not much else could be added to the roster but there’s really not much more you could put  on it anyways.  that lineup gives you two years of probable contention then a decision between rondo and gay when you have to pay drummond. knight would probably have to go at that point unless everyone decided to take less to keep the team together, but as a 6th man he would be replaceable as much as i hate to say that since he’s got such a great attitude

• Jul 3, 20138:26 am

Trading Monroe for Rondo isn’t changing the cap figures any except for next year. Monroe is about to get a big raise.

That doesn’t change the fact that Smith is not worth $15M/yr. But if you’re going to have him on your team anyway (at any given cost), you may as well make everything else work as well as possible.

Also, Gay and Rondo fit pretty well together, cap-wise. Because when (if) Rondo is due a raise, it will be when Gay is due a massive pay cut.

That said, I don’t love Monroe-for-Rondo.

• Jul 3, 20132:14 am
    by R

Btw, you people do realize that the Raptors did BETTER when Rudy Gay was acquired right? Enough with all this “He’s a negative. He’s a loser.” crap.  Am I beating a dead horse?

• Jul 3, 20139:28 am
      by G

Yes, that exact comment has appeared in this stream with 3 different names attached to it. So not only are you beating a dead horse, you’re going inside, changing clothes, and beating it some more.

• Jul 3, 20132:19 am
    by jacob

The pistons need better players.!!!! Gay Smith and Rondo. We can still sign shooters.

• Jul 3, 20132:24 am
    by MrCarter

Brandon Knight: “It’s time.”
    Rudy Gay: “It’s time.”
    Rajon Rondo: “It’s time.”
    Andre Drummond: “IT’S PLAYOFF TIME, DETROIT!”
    Greg Monroe: “Let’s go to work!”

• Jul 3, 20138:33 am

How are the Pistons acquiring Rondo in this scenario?

• Jul 3, 20132:32 am
    by jacob

Kings take back offer for IGGY! wow this could get crazy over the next 7 days.

• Jul 3, 20132:36 am
    by Mike

Monroe won’t be on a rookie contract for long he will be just as expensive as the players you mentioned with big contracts. Also these contracts are big but gay and rondo only have 2 years left.

• Jul 3, 20132:41 am
      by mike

Plus Drummond will be locked up on a cheap rookie deal for a longtime. When you can have your best player locked up longterm for only 2-3 mil/yr, it affords you the luxury of overspending on other players. It all evens out in the end.

Gay/Drummond combined will only be making like 20 mil. So it can just be looked at as Drummond making 10 mil, which his production would justify, and Gay making 10 mil which would be more than fair for his production.

• Jul 3, 20132:40 am
    by Mike

Rondo is one of a handful of players that can play on a level NO ONE else can if you have a chance to get one of these players you go for it

• Jul 3, 20132:49 am
      by mike

Agreed. imo Rondo is the best PG in the league when you factor in both sides of the ball, as well as the impact he makes rebounding, which no other PG can match.

As far as PG ability he’s just as good as CP3, but Paul has the slight advantage offensively because he’s a much better shooter. But when you add in Rondos defense altogether makes him the better overall PG imo. His jumpshot has gotten better too.

Most of all though, Rondo is a proven championship PG. You have no doubts with him whether he can be a starting PG on a championship team. Paul, as great as he is has been a failure in the playoffs. Thats a huge factor  to me when comparing players, as thats what its all about, not reg season stats.

So yeah I’d definitely have to trade Monroe if it meant we could get Rondo AND Josh Smith, who I think is a better fit next to Drummond anyways.

• Jul 3, 20138:21 am

Chalmers is also “a proven championship PG”. Just like Rondo, that’s entirely on his teammates. Rondo was far from one of the top 3 players on the Boston championship team, he might not even have been the 4th best.

Paul in the regular season:
        18.6 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 9.8 rpg, 2.4 spg, 2.4 topg, 47/35/86, 0.38 fta/fga

Paul in the playoffs:
        20.9 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 9.5 rpg, 2.2 spg, 3.0 topg, 48/33/83, 0.37 fta/fga

Paul is the same player in the regular season and playoffs. Also, I don’t understand your claim that Rondo’s rebounding gives him a major edge over Paul.

Rondo in the regular season:
        11.1 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 8.3 apg, 1.9 spg, 2.8 topg, 48/24/62, 0.29 fta/fga

Rondo in the playoffs:
        14.5 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 9.2 apg, 2.0 spg, 2.8 topg, 44/28/65, 0.28 fta/fga

Yes, Rondo has a bit of an edge in stepping it up come playoff time, but he has yet to do so in a championship run (In the ’08 postseason he averaged 10, 4, and 6 on 41/25/69). I don’t hold that against him, but since you used his championship as evidence of his superiority, I thought I’d debunk that.

• Jul 3, 20133:04 am
    by jojo

Resign Calderon:
    PG: Calderon
    SG: Knight / Caldwell-Pope
    SF: Gay
    PF: Monroe
    C: Drummond

• Jul 3, 20133:10 am
    by AlC

How about Stuckey + CV for a bag of basketballs?
    Or either one for a bag of baseballs.

• Jul 3, 20134:34 pm
      by Matt

Hey think one of them could close!? The Tigers could use bullpen help maybe Stuckey can close an Charlie could replace Coke.

• Jul 3, 20133:36 am
    by Kaneda

Getting Gay for Stuckey and CV would be awesome! To be honest, at this point, if deemed necessary i’d probably throw in a 1st rounder or Middleton as well to finalize the deal. Then all we would need is to resign Calderon and try to sign Iggy.

I would not give up Monroe for Rondo. Don’t get me wrong, Rondo is a beast of a PG, but he is coming off an ACL tear. That is a very risky move… Giving up your best big man/player for an injured player.

• Jul 3, 20133:48 am
    by Walt

I said this about signing both Iggy and Smith… But now.    trade for Gay.  Then sign Smith.  Then trade Monroe (maybe knight also) for Rondo.   That would be ideal.

• Jul 3, 20134:15 am
    by pistons3532

If we do get Gay then I would go after good role players instead of Smith or Iggy. I would sign Calderon to start at PG, sign Jarret Jack or Will Bynum for a back up PG. For a back up center I would go after Brandon Wright. Sign another wing player who can help spread the floor and we’ll be good for the playoff
    PG Calderon/Jack or Bynum/Siva
    SG KCP/Knight/English
    SF Gay/Singler/WIng player
    PF Monroe/Mitchell/Jerebko
    C  Drummond/Wright/Kravtsov

• Jul 3, 20134:20 am
    by Wolverines23

The three players that fit the best in Detroit’s lineup as of right now, regardless of anything (impossible for teams to give up on them etc.) are: Rajon Rondo (we need an elite PG, if we don’t resign Calderon), Kawhi Leonard (can’t believe we had a chance to draft him and just didn’t see it…dude would be great at the 3, does everything as we all saw in the playoffs and the entire season), Kevin Love at PF (because of his ability to be an elite scorer and stretch the floor, allowing Drummond to operate). Obviously, the teams these three play on would never give them up unless they get real value back in return. For Example: I think the Spurs would happily swap Greg Monroe for Kawhi Leonard (as they need someone to lead after Tim Duncan), Monroe fits in perfectly, they also need a PG after Tony Parker (Brandon Knight can be put into this mix, if we get another young piece in return). Obviously the Kevin Love deal doesn’t pan out if Monroe isn’t included. Rajon Rondo can be swapped for Stuckey/and CV as well, if we take up Gerald Wallace’s contract and amnesty him later.

My dream lineup (in terms of perfect fits that would work wonders in Detroit, not a list of best players in NBA) would be:

Rajon Rondo – Jarrett Jack
    KCP – Kim English
    Kawhi Leonard – Middleton
    Kevin Love – Tony Mitchell
    Andre Drummond – Slava (would want to get someone else here, rather then Slava)

I’d love to keep Greg Monroe though. He’s the best proven player on the Pistons roster right now. Yes, Drummond has the most potential, however, he hasn’t proven anything yet. Greg has consistently improved in all three seasons, and will most likely be a 18 and 10 guy this season, plus 3.5 assists. Anytime, your PF/Center can average more assists then your possible starting PG (not talking about Calderon, BK7/Stuckey and Will Bynum) you have to address the need at the 1, and I think JD recognizes that, by calling up the Celtics for Rondo. That being said, I’d trade Monroe for Kevin Love in a heart beat, as he would be a better fit with Drummond. The question regarding players like Rondo, Smith, Gay would be, do we want short term success, or build another team like the one we had in 03-04 and be good for 4 seasons and then blow it up again? Or do we want to be good for 6-7 season or maybe a decade like the Spurs, and one can argue if Chauncey wasn’t traded, we could have still been competitive by making other moves.

I’d rather see Detroit stay young, continue to develop talent, add one big name to this current roster who can provide leadership and skills, I think Gay is a good gamble to take, because he fills a need, provides scoring, and in two years if things don’t work out, we are still young and can continue to get better. We could also use both Rondo and Gay as a trading chip later on to draft in the top 3?! And have a chance to draft Andrew Wiggins, Julius Randle, Marcus Smart, Jabari Parker, and Andrew Harrison next season.

Realistically if all of these reports are simply rumors and none of the deals such as Smith, Iggy, or Rondo happen, even if we get Gay, we would be fun to watch, because we could resign Calderon:

Jose Calderon/ Will Bynum/Siva
    KCP/Brandon Knight/English
    Rudy Gay/Middleton/Singler
    Greg Monroe/ Tony Mitchell
    Andre Drummond/Slava

We’d definitely already be better then last year, probably not playoffs but lottery. We could still make the small moves by resigning Calderon, I say we do the Gay if Toronto agrees, Rondo deal probably doesn’t happen, we resign Calderon, and can have a chance to draft an elite PG next year by using both Calderon/Gay/or even Brandon Knight as a trade chip and moving up into the top 5 to get either Marcus Smart or Andrew Harrison (I’d prefer Harrison to Smart though).

• Jul 3, 20138:39 am

Do you understand the NBA at all?

First, the Celtics aren’t giving up Rondo for expiring contracts. He has positive trade value. Second, no, the Pistons cannot amnesty Gerald Wallace. His contract was signed after the new CBA. And even if it wasn’t, you can’t trade for a player and amnesty him. You have to have him for the entire duration from the inception of the amnesty clause to when you use it.

And if you’re trading Monroe for Leonard, who are you giving up for Love? Or are the Wolves just handing him over free of charge?

• Jul 3, 20134:30 am
    by I HATE FRANK

I almost called it… And Rudy Gay is Overpaid … Yes … But that doesn’t make him any less talented, if he was available in FA it would Be. Paul, Dwight , and then Rudy…

Memphis and the fans missed Rudy in the play-offs with his ability to take over games, and I have read he was loved in the memphis locker room …

He is closer to being a All-Star than Josh Smith at arounf the same age….and he is younger than Igoudala …

Analyatics might not like him …. But he produces and fit what the pistions are trying to become…athletic, fast, long and versatle… We’d be able to add a all-star without losing a potential all-star

Basically we’d only overpay for him for one season…

• Jul 3, 20134:56 am
      by I HATE FRANK

also Andrew Wiggins is canadian…. I could see the Raptors who are not anything close to a play off team… throwing in this season… and start another rebuilding process…

• Jul 3, 20138:40 am

How is Wiggins being Canadian relevant? Toronto may be tanking, but that’s not the reason.

• Jul 3, 201310:33 am
          by Jon

i think he is definitely affecting toronto’s thought process. they think since he’s from canada maybe he’d  be less likely to leave if they fot him there. toronto actually does a fairly good job of bringing in talent, they just can’t keep it once free agency comes.

• Jul 3, 20137:18 am

No, Gay would definitely be behind Smith and Iggy, probably behind Millsap and Jefferson, probably ahead of Mayo, Teague, Ellis, Martin, Jennnings, it’s anyone’s guess where Bynum fits in the pecking order, and definitely ahead of everyone else.

• Jul 3, 20135:11 am
    by Derek

Let’s get this deal done.  Gay would be a welcome addition to the team and a clear upgrade over what we’ve had over the last several years.  He’s got size, strength, and athleticism to add to our core.  Besides that, I think you need to do what you can to move Stuckey and Charlie.  It’s time for a change for the better.

Rudy Gay!!

• Jul 3, 20135:39 am
    by I HATE FRANK

A few reason why we should just leave Rondo alone…

1. To get Rondo we are going to have to give up Greg (will come back to that thought)
    2. When will Rondo be healthy enough to play?
    3. How will the injury impact his performance?
    4. Rondo is a NBA Diva, Paul Pierce and KG kept his ego in check…we don’t have either ( please don’t bring up Sheed)
    5. Rondo has never expressed interest in playing for the Pistons
    6. In 2 years rondo is more likely to Bolt than stay in Detroit
    7. Rondo will likely force us to trade or lose him after just 1 year..
    8. Greg is worth more at 23 as a 17&10 guy, than Rondo is as a one and done guy
    9. Trading Greg for Rondo and then potentially losing Rondo in just 2 seasons would be devastating and embarassing for the Franchise (especially if doesn’t get a eastern conference finals appearance)
    10. Rondo is unpredictable, Greg is more of a safe bet when you are building the future pieces for your team

Rondo is a great player, he would bring of high expectation, but then he’ll bring drama and instability. He just is not worth the trouble

• Jul 3, 201311:11 am
      by Who Is Us

Damn it Frank! I agree with you for a 2nd time in about a week.

You didn’t even mention Rondo’ s injury history. If the Pistons swing the Gay deal I would not want to see Detroit trade for Rondo. I would rather see Detroit bring back Calderon, and I’m way against that, than give up Monroe for Rondo.

• Jul 3, 20131:07 pm
        by I HATE FRANK

we disagree mostly on preference…not common sense stuff

• Jul 3, 20136:29 am
    by Max

I wouldn’t pull the trigger till Iggy and Josh Smith declined or signed elsewhere.   Both are much better than Gay.

• Jul 3, 201310:37 am
      by Jon

josh smith doesn’t play his position so he’s irrelevant to what is done with gay other than money

• Jul 3, 20136:59 am
    by BooG

I would welcome a trade for Rudy Gay. Stuckey & Charlie V need to be moved.  I like that it doesn’t take away from our cap space.

I’m not in favor of trading away Monroe. He’s our best low post player & will be even more dangerous with Gay on the team due to his passing skills. His defense isn’t that good but having Drummond & Gay next to him will help, plus Sheed will be a huge help in getting them to play better defensively.

I think getting another big man, like Brandan Wright or Marreese Speights would be great for us. It would be nice to re-sign Calderon & Bynum. After that, another shooter would help.

I actually prefer getting Iggy over Josh Smith. I think Iggy fits better.

Our team could look like this:

PG – Calderon, Knight & Bynum
    SG – Iggy, KCP & English
    SF – Gay, Singler, Middleton
    PF – Monroe, Jerebko, Mitchell
    C  - Drummond, (Brandan Wright or Speights) & Kratsov

I consider us a low seed playoff team with a roster like this. Milwaukee, Boston & Atlanta may all slip giving us a great chance for the post-season. Our team & the Washinton Wizards are the sleeper picks of the East.

Just my thoughts. Thanks for listening.

• Jul 3, 20137:24 am

It does take away from Detroit’s cap space.

Currently, they can amnesty CV. With a trade for Gay, they lose that $8.5M. Also, it takes away $19M from next year.

That doesn’t mean it would be a bad trade, that is quite a debatable point, and I would probably actually be for the trade, but it definitely blows a ton of cap space.

• Jul 3, 20137:13 am
    by Vic

I’d take Rudy. He had a problem with his left eye that he just had surgery to fix, plus he just added about 15 pounds of muscle. He’s ready to have his best shooting season and defensive season. This is how you steal stars from other teams, by knowing the other side of the story. Same way we got Andre Drummond and Tony Mitchell at ridiculously low picks in the draft.

Calderon
    Kcp
    Gay
    Monroe
    Drummind

Playoffs!

• Jul 3, 20138:00 am
    by RyanK

I don’t see this as a big problem.  It’s not a home run, but we’re filling a need with a better player than either of the guys we’re giving up.  He’s a decent shooter, above the Mendoza line with the 3 ball (33% = 50% 2 point fg%).  He’s a solid defender when he needs to be.

Stuckey and CV…we’re better off parting ways with them.  CV being out of here will lift fan morale.

Particularly when you look at this as a mercenary situation…  Gay’s contract is expiring in ’14-’15, which represents a big asset at the end of the upcoming season.  He can come in and provide a veteran presence and then get shipped out in 1-1.5 years for something better.

• Jul 3, 20138:45 am
      by I HATE FRANK

@Ryan

People are being extrmemly pick

Saying Rudy Gay is overrated and overpaid , Josh Smith Overrated and dont overpay for him, Iggy is too old, and cant shoot , Tyreke isnt worth the money he just stuckey…

Who was the last all-star caliber Free-agent we signed? or traded for?

Folks the Pistons are going to pay no matter wat… And Honestly Rudy Gay is the cheapest because he only has 2 years remaining…Iggy, Josh Smith, Tyreke are gonna be 4-5 year deals…starting at 12 mil…

• Jul 3, 201310:18 am

Gotta agree with this. Yeah, it could come back to bite the Pistons if a superstar becomes available and they don’t have cheap talent to send in return, but that’s unlikely.

Ideally, you draft your superstars. Then you don’t have to overpay to lure them away from another team. But Detroit either has or hasn’t done that. They aren’t going to now. They shouldn’t have another high pick for a while.

So the goal should be to get as much better as possible without giving up the ability to make future moves. Gay allows Detroit to do that better than most. A one year deal comes off the books just as Monroe is due a big raise. A three year deal comes off just as Drummond is. I don’t expect nearly as big a raise for Knight, so two years from now seems like a good time to angle for flexibility again if this season’s moves don’t pan out.

• Jul 3, 20138:46 am
    by Ryan Kelly

It’s getting to the level of comical at this point.   People screaming noooo.  He’s overpaid he’s overpaid.   Lets get more efficient players with better contracts.   Lol.   THEY DONT EXIST.   Either spend the money on guys like gay, Danny granger, josh smith, iguadala ect ect or your stuck with a crap team.   Yeah, let’s sign a bunch of guys to one year deals to account for 25 million.  What!    I’ve never seen anyone do that successfully like ever.   Have you ever seen a guy sign for one year at 10 million ????    Now if you want 4-5 guys at 5 million each you’re gonna get a bunch of bums for one thing and then have 30 million in cap room next year and then have the same problem pursuing ‘inefficient’ ‘overpaid’ players.   Come on now.

• Jul 3, 20139:18 am
      by Brian S

This is a great point and something I struggle with. You want the team to make smart decisions, but with the limited players available, you either sit it out and pray for a lot of internal improvement (Drummond, Knight, Middleton, Knight, KCP) or you take some risks.  I laughed at Raps trade of Calderon and Davis for Gay – Gay certainly has his warts and is well overpaid.  But if Toronto would take the poo-poo platter of Stuckey and CV for Gay, basically us buying out that 2nd year at $19 mill from them, I think its a decent risk.  Gay was much better 2 and 3 years ago, and still just 27 and in his prime.  Also that big 19 mill would only overlap with one of Monroe’s extension years, and before Dre’.  Even if Gay works out semi-ideally to perfectly, with the new CBA and his age, there is likely a cost correction where his salary moves down to the 11-16 range after 2 yrs.  If he doesn’t work out, he isn’t ham-stringing cap space for 4 more years…  Here is a link comparing Iggy and Gay, Iggy last year at 29 (his worst, but more likely trend to continue) and Gay’s 2nd best year 2 years ago.  http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=gayru01&y1=2011&p2=iguodan01&y2=2013  I’d say Gay has a better chance of getting back to that player than Iggy does of upping his production back to previous levels.  Keeping Calderon and having 2 shooters on floor with Gay, Monroe, and Drummond seems like it could at least get us into playoffs esp. with other teams tanking for 19 year olds. Momentum starts moving in the right direction, and we lose a “lower” pick next year instead of one that hurts more.

• Jul 3, 20138:49 am
    by Crispus

This deal is a winner for the Pistons all the way. When I read the headline I thought it was April Fools. Who cares how much salary Gay makes over the next two years, we aren’t going sign any of the “marquee” free agents to a contract that short. Gay is a great fit at the three to get the Pistons scoring some baskets. Our D won’t be as good as it would with Smith or Iggy, but oh well, we get rid of two of our most shameful albatrosses in one smooth motion!

• Jul 3, 20138:53 am
    by D Nasty

Potentially you could all of em.   Trade for Gay.   And still be able to sign both iguadala and Calderon.   Maybe even have enough for a solid big off the bench like Jj hickson or Tyler hansbourough.   That would be a sick team.

• Jul 3, 20138:58 am
    by D Nasty

Not sure what all the crying is about???   Who would you like to save your money for do tell??    Kevin durant?   Lebron James?   Hahahahha.   It ain’t happening.  Besides 4-5 players in the league almost every player in the league has flaws and is overpaid.   But save that money right.   Weird man weird.

• Jul 3, 20139:00 am
    by Keith

I’m extremely torn on this proposed trade. On one hand, Stuckey and Villanueva have little value and losing them doesn’t mean much to me. On the other hand, there is a real argument to make that Gay hasn’t been any better than Stuckey the last 3 years (similar PER, with Stuckey having a better highest year and worse lowest year). I certainly wouldn’t pay twice as much to get the same production as Stuckey.

In the end, I would call it a bad deal. Short term, we don’t really get any better. Gay has been only minimally better than Singler/Stuckey, so his value to the SF position is likewise minimal. There is little salary difference in the short term, but his contract is an albatross. Sure, we aren’t going to be attracting any good free agents either way, but any bad contract is still a bad contract, and I would rather have bad contracts for one year than two.

The idea that Gay is a gamechanging player is patently wrong. He is incredibly inefficient and a just average defender. In a vacuum that’s fine, but for a player that takes a ton of shots and makes 17 million a year for the next two year, we are just locking ourselves into mediocrity. Why take on more salary without getting any better?

• Jul 3, 201310:07 am
      by Steve K

I’ve seen Rudy Gay totally dominate the Pistons on many occasions.

I’ve never seen Stuckey dominate anyone.

This is a case where stats don’t tell the real story.

• Jul 3, 201310:35 am

If that’s true, you haven’t been paying attention. Gay has had one phenomenal game against Detroit (34 ,6, and 5 the one time he played them as a Raptor). But Stuckey has had tons of games better than whichever is the nest best Gay has dropped on Detroit. For example:

38, 4, and 7 against Sacramento
        30, 8, and 9 against Indiana
        27, 11, and 6 against Boston
        29, 2, and 14 against Cleveland
        23, 8, and 8 against New York

You are talking about a guy who has won a couple NBA Player of the Week awards. Stuckey can put together stretches of really good games. It just doesn’t hold up for a season.

Gay is certainly the better player of the two. But you’re comment displays error or nonobservance.

• Jul 3, 201311:19 am
          by Steve K

Sure, I’ll admit that Stuckey has had a few good games. So I suppose he’s technically dominated a few times. My point, though was that Gay is better, which you apparently agree with.

• Jul 3, 201310:40 am
        by Keith

No, this is a case where selective memory overrides reality. Dominating the Pistons these last 5 years means nothing, we’re terrible. That at the very best would be selection bias because dominating the pistons only makes up 1 or 2 games a year, and ignores how entirely mediocre he is the rest of the time. Also, most points either has scored in a game: 40 for Rodney, 41 for Rudy. The man difference in their respective careers has been shots taken per game. Rudy has shot more in his career.

Their level of domination is about the same – they both can put up a lot of point when on their game, but neither are efficient enough to be dominant over an extended period of time.