Pistons inquiries for Eric Bledsoe aren’t serious–at least not yet

Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports:

The Los Angeles Clippers have received trade inquiries for guard Eric Bledsoe from the Toronto Raptors, Orlando Magic, Milwaukee Bucks, Detroit Pistons and Dallas Mavericks. Talks, however, have yet to reach the serious stage.

Eric Bledsoe is an emerging offensive player – in his ability to get to the rim, shoot and distribute – but he’s already proven himself to be a defensive force in limited minutes. The Pistons could use a point guard, so it makes sense they’d try to trade for Bledsoe, who’s expendable now that Chris Paul has agreed to re-sign.

But several teams want to trade for Bledsoe, and the Pistons don’t have many assets to give up for him. I’d say it’s a long shot Bledsoe becomes a Piston.

• Jul 2, 20137:22 am
    by Kaneda

As long as we don’t give up Monroe or Drummond I’m all for that potential trade.

Btw, any news on the Iggy-Detroit meeting yesterday. We got info pretty quickly on the Josh Smith meeting but haven’t heard or seen anything coming out from the meeting with Iggy

• Jul 2, 20137:37 am
    by I HATE FRANK

He struggled pretty bad as a starter, Defensively Yes …he is a very good player…but offensively not soo much …
    His Per-36 min stats compare pretty even with Brandon Knight …. I think the Clippers have done a wonderful job in making seem more valueable than he really is…

• Jul 2, 20137:59 am
      by Steve K

Which is why I think a Knight for Bledsoe swap makes sense.

Knight costs roughly the same as Bledsoe but is under contract for one more season. So the Clips get a sorta low-priced combo guard to develop under Chris Paul who won’t make waves.
      Bledsoe will no doubt leave the Clips to be a starter somewhere, if given the option. He’s gonna command somewhere in the $9M range.

I know the Pistons are in the hunt with plenty of other teams, but would other teams offer a player of Knight’s caliber? I know his value is under debate, but I think he’s still pretty respected around the league. Who’s Toronto going to part with? I know they offered Bargnani, but no way the Clips want his $24M cap hit. Same with DeRozan. He’s due $9.5M per season through 2016/17. I could see the Clips taking Valanciunas, but that’s probably the only untouchable on Toronto right now.
      Orlando can offer Afflalo, who they’re shopping. He’s also more expensive than Knight at $7.5M per year. Also is he more sought-after? It’s debatable.
      Who on Milwaukee would interest the Clips? Larry Sanders? He’s untouchable. Mbah a Moute? Perhaps. And he’s relatively cheap. Dallas could do a sign-and-trade with Darren Collison. That might be the best alternative to Knight.
      Assuming Dumars would be willing to part with Knight (big assumption since he tends to overvalue his players), the Pistons may be more into the Bledsoe Sweepstakes than we think.

• Jul 2, 20137:53 am
    by gmehl

I’d sign and trade Knight for Bledsoe in a heartbeat. I’d like to keep Knight but you have to give up something to get something and maybe Knight would get it done.

• Jul 2, 20137:56 am
      by Vince

Agreed. I’d much rather take a gamble on Bledsoe than Knight.

• Jul 2, 20138:21 am
      by Keith

This wouldn’t require a sign and trade. Knight won’t be a RFA for another two years, and he’s not even eligible for an extension until next July.

• Jul 2, 20138:25 am
        by Vince

Even better!

• Jul 2, 20138:40 am
        by gmehl

@Keith I did mention sign and trade (not a trade). We’d probably have to throw in a 2nd rounder and cash to sweeten the deal. Either way if that deal did happen it would be funny to see DeAndre Jordan welcome him to the Clippers. It would definitely be great for TV that’s for sure.

• Jul 2, 20138:27 am
    by Terrell

I really don’t think we have a shot at bledsoe because we have no trade comodity. I really think you offer tyreke evans a huge contract and play him at his more natural position the pg. He was 20-5-5 guy his rookie season at pg. Then sign Iggy.

• Jul 2, 20138:36 am
      by Vince

Tyreke just got offered a FAT contract by the Pelicans.  I quite honestly doubt the Pistons will offer him more than 11M+ per year. We probably have a better chance landing Dwight Howard than Reke.

• Jul 2, 20138:45 am
        by gmehl

I wonder how the Pelicans plan on using Tyreke assuming that Jrue Holiday will be the starting PG. 11mil per for him to play SG and he can’t even shoot. Then they also have Eric Gordon on the books. Seems like they are doing what we did when we had Rip, Stuckey and Gordon the books. You’d hope that if they acquire Tyreke that they can unload Gordon or else they might handcuff themselves.

• Jul 2, 20138:55 am
          by Vince

Yeah, same scenario came to mind, from what I’ve heard, NO is looking to unload Robin Lopez (of all people) to shed salary. I guess they could always try trade Gordon to the Suns which was his preferred destination last season or trade Vasquez. Pelicans are digging themselves into a hole and I’m interested as to how they’re going to get out of it.

• Jul 2, 201310:59 am
            by Matt

Marc Stein: As they continue to chase restricted free agent Tyreke Evans, Pelicans’ preference is to sign him to offer sheet w/out dealing Eric Gordon.

Sounds to me like digging a hole. They’ll have the same floor spacing problem we do with the eyebrow and the flattop. Tyreke is trying to become a better shooter but he isn’t there yet. I guess their strategy is just stockpile talent and make it fit later.

• Jul 2, 201312:02 pm
            by G

They don’t have the flattop, they dealt him to Philly, remember?

• Jul 2, 201312:55 pm
            by Matt

Right. Sorry I have no clue how I forgot that. Ryan Anderson and Robin Lopez are their other bigs. My guess they want a 3 guard up tempo rotation with Vasques of the bench. Maybe with Eric Gordan always hurt maybe they’re just planning ahead. On another note Tyreke has a 6’11 wingspan, I think he could play SF. Their gunna have a lot of ballhandlers but not a lot of shooters. With that in mind with so many teams going small pounding the ball inside might not be such a bad thing, until you play Chicago, Indiana, and Mamphis. Possibly throw Detroit in there.

• Jul 2, 20138:52 am
    by I HATE FRANK

This place is losing all rational sense…Extremely emotionally people…

Bledsoe is 6’1.5 combo Guard …. NOT A PG ….he has all the same issues you all cry and whine about when it comes to knight… DIFFERENCE Knight is a 6’3.25 combo guard that shoots the ball better than Bledsoe

AT the Rim … Bledsoe finishes 58% vs Knight 54% …which isnt surprising given the style of play the Clippers had, in transition…..

Shooting the ball…from 10 feet to the Arc …Bledsoe shot 30% vs Knight 35%…..

Bledsoe made 40% of his 3′s but onkly made 31 all year long vs Knight who nearly made 4 Times as many than Bledsoe with 120 made…shooting 37%

Per-36 mins …. Bledsoe is 5.4 ast / 3.2 turnovers …Knight 4.6 ast / 3.1 turnovers….

Defensively Stat wise..Bledsoe seems like the much better player defensively…which he might be,,,but it doesnt mean Knight isnt a very solid or very good defender in his own right…

Knight is 2 years younger than Bledsoe…and has been in a much worse situation than bledsoe who so far has only had one decent season…. Now everyone is ready to give up the house for him? it makes No damn sense….

I’ll pass….

But that the hype machine….

• Jul 2, 20139:00 am
      by Vince

Bledsoe also has only has a year on his contract and would be a good way to get rid of a 6’3 combo guard who can’t shoot, pass or dribble efficiently who has a few more years on his contract. Bledsoe  is also a lot more athletic and can run an offense better. I’ve said it time and time again, I’m not a fan of Knight, he was a crappy pick and I would trade him for a boom or bust athletic PG on the final year of his contract in a heartbeat.

• Jul 2, 20139:14 am
        by Jens

I agree. Knight for Bloedsoe, straight up would be a wonderful deal for the Pistons. And that exactly is the reason, it´s not going to happen. Because LA wants more tha just Knight.

• Jul 2, 20139:29 am
          by Vince

Oh yeah, the odds we get Bledsoe are low. Just because I say I prefer him to Knight doesn’t mean I want him on the roster ASAP, I really want to get Calderon back, and if that doesn’t work try and trade for Grievis Vasquez.

Clips are likely to unload Butler with Bledsoe to save cash, and like you said, we have nothing to offer but Knight.

• Jul 2, 20139:56 am
        by I HATE FRANK

“”Bledsoe also has only has a year on his contract and would be a good way to get rid of a 6’3 combo guard who can’t shoot, pass or dribble efficiently who has a few more years on his contract.”"

1. That makes little sense, if we trade knight for Bledsoe, and Bledsoe has a average year….that means it put us in a position were we will have to either draft a PG to replace him, re-sign him for more than he is worth, or dip into free-agency for a PG? … If nothing else Knight would make the most sense finanicially because of the rookie scale he is under for the next 2 years…because if by a MIRACLE Knight has a breakout year we have him locked in for 1 more year, to see was it a fluke…

1a. Knight is a much better shooter than Bledsoe its not even close…passing and dribble efficiency is debateable…. I saw Bledsoe several time I was only impressed with him on defensive and open floor in transition he was not special in the half-court…

“”Bledsoe  is also a lot more athletic and can run an offense better.”"

2. Bledsoe is a more explosive leaper, but Knight is still a very good athlete himself and he is probably quicker than Bledsoe or as quick… and Bledsoe probably doesnt run a offense better…. but that debateable

“”I’ve said it time and time again, I’m not a fan of Knight, he was a crappy pick and I would trade him for a boom or bust athletic PG on the final year of his contract in a heartbeat.”"

3. dont need to be a fan of Knight to be rational…Im not a fan of Stuckey 2 years ago people was ready to trade him for a box of donuts, but I said hold on to him because 2 years he will become perfect trade bait…and here we are…

At the end of the day knight is a 21 year old combo guard that plays hard, can defend and knock down the 3 ball effectively. Even if he never becomes a star in his league he has 3 skills that most coaches would love to have on their roster. See Danny Green , See Mario Chalmers, See Derek Fisher…. But Knight still have time and potential to develop other aspects of his game…

• Jul 2, 20139:17 am

High five.

We agree about something.

I find Bledsoe intriguing, just like I find Knight intriguing. But they’re values seem comparable. And Knight is currently a better fit here.

• Jul 2, 20139:32 am
        by I HATE FRANK

@ Tarseir …that makes 3 times this year we’ve agree… HIGH FIVE!

• Jul 2, 20139:47 am
        by G

I think Bledsoe can run the point with a LITTLE more ability than Knight, but I tend to agree… The move is pretty “meh”, and I’m not sure why the Clips would do it in the first place.

• Jul 2, 201310:11 am
          by I HATE FRANK

I laugh at it only because He was pretty much Garbage for 2 seasons, and was actually sent to the D-League…

Has solid third year….. one Year…

Now people are going crazy for him, like I said the way the Clippers are playing this out is genius…

• Jul 2, 201311:06 am
            by Steve K

If he’s had one solid year, that’s one more solid year than Knight has had.

• Jul 2, 201311:22 am
      by danny

Agreed I think he benefits from playing where he did.  Everyone was focused on paul or griffin and he gets to the bucket easier.  I’m aware that he was the back up but if you watch games he would play along paul a lot of the times.  I would trade Knight for him but would welcome him to the team.

• Jul 2, 201311:53 am
      by ryan

Thank you. Everyone’s in a rush to give up on Brandon Knight but the reality is he’s a damn good ball player who’s been put in some shit situations and done reasonably well. I say we keep him and put him in a solid situation. If we do that I be we’ll find that we have a starting point guard on a winning team.

• Jul 2, 20137:47 pm
        by Filo Putz

Knight is not a great ball handler. He has trouble getting into the lane and finishing or dumping off. He is not good at creating his own shot off the dribble on the perimeter. And he has poor court vision. BESIDES THAT HE”S A PRETTY GOOD PLAYER>

• Jul 2, 20139:06 am
    by Geelong piston fan

First time I’ve felt like I need to comment and funnily enough I agree with  ”i hate frank” bledsoe is fools gold. I’d much rather pay more for Calderon or even Teague, just because Bledsoe as had one good year coming in behind Paul doesn’t make a great sample size, for once let’s let other teams out bid each other for an unproven player with serious question marks.

• Jul 2, 20139:21 am
      by gmehl

Off topic Geelong Piston fan but the Cats are going to get beat by the Hawks on Saturday night… book it! :-)

• Jul 2, 20139:26 am
    by Geelong piston fan

That’s alright not cats fan

• Jul 2, 201310:24 am
    by I HATE FRANK

Wondering How you guys feel about Derozan?

• Jul 2, 201311:03 am
      by Keith

Poorly. Can’t shoot, poor ballhandler and passer, and below average defender. Great athlete, but doesn’t actually get much out of that. I certainly don’t like him at the 9 million dollar a year salary he has. We already have Stuckey as our non-shooter shooting guard, and at least Stuckey is a good ballhandler and passer for his position. Defensively it’s a wash, though DeRozan has the tools to be much better (of course, having the tools doesn’t mean anything if you don’t use them). DeRozan is a poor man’s Rudy Gay – who just proved last year to be making his team worse.

• Jul 2, 20132:05 pm

way overpaid, he’s an albatross

• Jul 2, 201311:51 am
    by Junkyard Dog

Hey guys…maybe they’ll take Charlie V’s expiring contract for Blake Griffin too…seriously, why bother commenting.

• Jul 2, 201311:53 am
    by Junkyard Dog

Also – Frank is right…Bledsoe is extremely overvalued and really isn’t that much, if at all, an upgrade over BK.  Give the kid a chance.  He’s 21 and has been learning from Stuckey and Bynum until we landed Calderon last year.  Let’s see what this summer and a preseason of working with the new staff does.

• Jul 2, 201311:58 am
      by zdh

Exactly. Getting rid of Knight, or Stuckey for that matter, won’t magically make the team a contender. Players need time to develop, at least in Knights case, Stuckey is more or less what he will be at this point. Look at Mike Conley. He looked like a completely average player even when he got his big extension, but Memphis stuck with him, and he has become one of the better pgs in the game and seems underpaid now. Knight may not end up as good as him, and maybe Bledsoe will be better, but I think Knight fits better even as a PG with this team than Bledsoe.

And for sure better than Lin.

• Jul 2, 201312:42 pm
    by koz

With a new coach somebody like Stuckey could find new hope and maybe a new attitude, maybe better results. Jerebko did not like Frank, and I’m sure he is not the only one. Overall the Pistons are a very young team with alot of potential upside yet to come forth. Probably best to see what the new system being installed produces with the talent present then to be reckless pursuing what we think we need more than we may actually need. If players actually enjoyed being and playing in Detroit, who knows what improvement we may see. I’m betting there’s alot more positive then negative with the present roster and only a little to gain and alot more to lose by chasing guys who really don’t warrant the money they want. A bad move or two now could kill the future.

• Jul 2, 20132:09 pm

“With a new coach somebody like Stuckey could find new hope and maybe a new attitude, maybe better results.”

How many times have I heard this refrain in the last 5 years?

• I blog often and I really thank you for your information.
    This article has really peaked my interest. I’m going to book mark your blog and keep checking for new
    details about once per week. I subscribed to your
    Feed as well.

• Ecellent article! We will bee linking to this reat post on our site.

Keep up the great writing.