Kim English staying focused with contract in limbo

ORLANDO – The look on Kim English’s face on Tuesday said it all.

The second-year guard struggled on both sides of the ball, missing five of eight attempts and being one of the many Pistons’ defenders victimized by Oklahoma City guard Reggie Jackson late in the 79-75 loss.

He still has two more summer league games this week to get things back on track, but as the struggles mount and the week progresses, the possibility that English’s contract won’t be renewed on Saturday is real.

And he knows what’s at stake.

“I’m just playing. I think I’ll be in this league a long time with my ability to shoot the ball and defend,” English said. “I’m just staying in the moment and (I’ll) keep playing.”

It’s been well-documented here that English — despite his on-court shortcomings — is an enjoyable personality to have. He was a four-year player at Missouri, and he’s a professional. It’s good to have those guys around a locker room, but at the same time, you need to parlay that off-court positive into something on the court, too.

He’s struggled with his shot basically since being drafted — making just 28 percent from 3-point range last season — and through three summer league games he’s shot just 5-for-23 from the field; including an ice-cold 3-for-13 showing from deep.

With fellow 2012 second-round pick Khris Middleton out with a right ankle injury, English had his big chance to impress against the Thunder. Plain and simple, he struggled, openly taking the blame for Jackson’s outburst in the fourth quarter, which wasn’t fully on him.

But he’s still focused on the present — not the future.

“Just going out and playing,” English said. “I don’t really take stock in anything other than this quarter or this possession or this game. Everything else is really out of my control.”

The signing of Italian sharp-shooter Luigi Datome on Tuesday could represent the proverbial writing on the wall for English, but no matter what it means, he’s not shaken by the thought of becoming a free agent in the next week.

“I’m a little different than the average human, I guess,” English said. “If I’m playing great or if I’m playing awful, I’m always thinking about what’s next. That’s the nature of the NBA — next play, next game, what you do next is what makes you.”

• Jul 10, 20132:43 pm
    by frankie d

just conjecturing, but i think this is what happened with english…
    that last year in college, he played the PF spot.  which meant that he was often defended by big guys who probably hesitated to come out and guard him at the 3 point line.  which meant that he got lots of wide open 3′s.
    that hasn’t happened in the nba.  he is not getting that type of leisurely time to set up and take his jumper.  it’s being rushed just a little, and as a result his accuracy and timing just isnt there.
    i never noticed him at mizzou, but if anyone did, is that near correct or just totally wrong?
    that seems to me to be a reasonable possibility.  nothing else, other than nerves, seems to explain why a guy goes from being such a good shooter to being such a poor shooter.
    too bad.  would love to see him step up and show that he can play.

• Jul 10, 20132:53 pm
      by Brady Fredericksen

Mizzou plays a really fast-paced style, so they play small. I wouldn’t say he was literally playing as a power forward, but he was the biggest of their four guards on the court most times. He had a speed advantage against bigger guys, you’re right. I’m just not convinced he has the athleticism to do that now.

• Jul 10, 20135:07 pm
      by oats

@frankie d. It might be part of it, but an awful lot of college PFs would be NBA SFs. Then again, most of them aren’t NBA athletes, so that might be  it. You also have to keep in mind that the college 3 point line is shorter than the NBA 3 point line. Some guys just don’t have that little bit of extra range.Last but not least, he had a huge jump in shooting his senior year. He was a 37% shooter his first 3 years, but his senior year he shot 46%. It may have just been an anomalous shooting season, the kind that is pretty easy to have when the season is only 35 games long.

It’s not unprecedented for a guy’s 3 point shooting to drop off significantly in the pros. Chris Paul spent 2 years as a 47% 3 point shooter, only to have his shooting drop to a career average of 35.6% from 3 in the NBA. Admittedly this is a steeper drop, but there are a number of things that could explain what is going on with English. I would bet on it being a combination of the things I mentioned above.

• Jul 10, 20133:03 pm
    by Web Designer

Who is the web designer here? Don’t you know that a red background is terrible for reading. Especially this lightened red. You guys need professional help. I’m here.

• Jul 10, 20133:07 pm
      by Otis

It’s your browser. Site looks lily-white to me. If you couldn’t sort that out yourself, I doubt they’ll be interested in your services.

• Jul 10, 20133:22 pm

There’s such a comment at least once a month, it seems.

• Jul 10, 20133:59 pm
      by David

If you see a red background, instead of white, I’m guessing you’re using an adblocker. Whitelist PistonPowered and the site will be a lot more readable. And its a good site you should support by allowing your browser to display ads here

• Jul 10, 20134:42 pm
      by Jonathan

It feels cruel to point out, but I’m glad someone did.  The graphic design on this site leaves a LOT to be desired.  New logo, new colour scheme, then maybe you can compete with DBB.

• Jul 10, 20133:04 pm
    by Web Designer

I’m also a WordPress expert.

• Jul 10, 20133:12 pm
    by brandow

honestly id rather have english on the roster than middleton, i just dont get middletons game  and i hate how people say middleton is a better three point shooter than english. i say keep him on the roster and let middleton go.

• Jul 10, 20133:21 pm
      by Brady Fredericksen

Middleton’s contract is garaunteed this season, English’s is not. Doesn’t make sense to pay two guys’ salaries while sending the one who’s proven a smidgen more packing.

• Jul 10, 20133:46 pm
      by Keith

You can have personal opinions however you wish, but actual play on the court would disagree with your assessment. Middleton did just about everything better than English last year. English had slightly better passing numbers (very slight), but everything else was worse. He shot worse, rebounded worse, defended worse (based on counterpart data), and is 3 years older with little likelihood of improvement.

Neither were great players by any means, but it makes no sense to cut the better player who is also younger and was drafted higher.

• Jul 10, 20135:10 pm
        by oats

Middleton also appears to be a better athlete, which seems worth mentioning.

• Jul 10, 20133:21 pm
    by XstreamINsanity

I think he knows his contract won’t be guaranteed.  He sent the following to Jose earlier today:

@josemcalderon8 una mas para lista…. Señor ingles

He was referencing Jose’s tweet about who was going to be on Spain’s national team.  Jose responded with:

@Englishscope24 lol I will talk to the coach and see what I can do. You are the best!

• Jul 10, 20133:29 pm
    by Brigs

Who cares he can still sign with anthor to me or go to the nbdl and we can get him if a roster spot opens up. He’s just not that good

• Jul 10, 20133:43 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

English will be cut…he we go overseas for 2 years where he ill be loved by fans and owners….come back to the NBA …join a team like the Spurs or OKC and be solid contributor to them winning a title …..

• Jul 10, 20133:48 pm
      by Keith

The honest more likely scenario is that he’ll head overseas and try to become a contributor. He’ll make some money for a while, no team will ever express interest in him, and someday he’ll be a trivia question for Piston fans about a college PF who played SG.

• Jul 11, 20133:57 am
      by KaBa

Maybe he will be loved in the UK where they play some really terrible basketball, other than that he will be just OK in Europe. But there is nothing wrong about that, not everyone can be great. The best thing to explain people european basketball is that they should look at Childress. You can not play selfishly in Europe. The concept is that a team is always stronger than 5 individuals.

• Jul 10, 20135:09 pm
    by RyanK

I’m willing to be a fun and interesting personality in the lockeroom…for $799,000…  The pistons can save $1,000 per year with me on the payroll.

• Jul 10, 20136:21 pm
    by Vote for Dumbars

Of course… with the signing of smith, luigi, and re-signing bynum… how’s get gonna fit in the roster? this was suppose to be a guy who could shoot “lights out” he can shoot… a bunch of Airballs

• Jul 22, 20137:36 pm
    by rocky

I totally disagree, English will rise again and be signed by September 1st and go on to play for six years that ESPN commentator, just watch