Josh Smith: ‘We’re definitely a playoff team’ (Do Smith and the Pistons know anything about each other?)

Joe Dumars has given five $50 million contracts or extensions. Richard Hamilton, Rasheed Wallace and Chauncey Billups proved to be worth the money. Ben Gordon, most definitively, did not.

Now, Josh Smith becomes No. 5 (while wearing No. 6 on his Detroit Pistons jersey).

When the Pistons agreed to terms with Smith, I wrote he might resemble Gordon more than the other three. Dumars knew a great deal about Hamilton (extended), Wallace (re-signed) and Billups (extended) when committing so much money to them. Gordon, because he played for another team before signing in Detroit, was more of an unknown.

Smith, by the same logic, is also an unknown to Dumars. Perhaps, Dumars has learned from the Gordon debacle and has done better due diligence this time.

But Wednesday’s press conference introducing Smith did nothing to alleviate my concerns.

“I was watching tape of him the other night, and I didn’t even realize, when you guys played the Lakers, you were guarding Kobe,” Dumars said. “I didn’t even know he was guarding two guards at the time. So, I can’t say I did all of my homework.”

“It went pretty well,” Smith interjected. “You’ve got to ask me that.”

“Don’t make me lie,” Dumars said. “I don’t know.”

Maybe that’s a meaningless and funny anecdote – and hey, learning Smith is better equipped to play on the perimeter than we think would hardly be a problem. But that back-and-forth also feeds the perception Dumars is reckless in free agency, placing too much emphasis on talent and not enough on fit.

“With the addition of me, I feel like we can be a contender,” Smith said. “We can – we’re definitely a playoff team. But we can be a contender if we work hard at it.”

Smith makes the Pistons better. I have no doubt about that. I could maybe even be talked into him making them a probable playoff team.

But a definite playoff team? No way.

And the Pistons, no matter what Smith thinks, don’t fix all his problems.

“I’ve always wanted to be a part of a good organization that has a lot of die-hard fans,” said Smith, who spent his nine seasons playing in front of a notoriously disinterested Atlanta fan base.

The Pistons have had a lower attendance than the Hawks each of the last two seasons.

When they’re winning, though, the Pistons will draw fans, and Smith’s versatility could help them win.

“The NBA is becoming less and less about specific positions,” Dumars said. “Most of the time, what you see right now is people put their best players on the floor, and you figure out, as you get out there, how to match up.”

That is true. Rigid positional definitions are falling by the wayside. But Dumars failed to mention how conscious teams are of putting complementary skillsets on the court together. Teams still value lineups that provide shooting, floor spacing, passing, interior defense, perimeter defense, etc.

Dumars also brought up LeBron James, really taking the discussion off the rails. LeBron is the best, most complete player in the game. Five LeBrons would form the best lineup of all time. Five Chris Pauls or five Dwight Howards, though both those players are among the game’s best, would struggle. The Positional Revolution isn’t only about getting talent on the floor, but also about assembling talent that meshes regardless of position labels.

Today’s press conference focused on best-case scenarios, and that’s what it should have done. For a July day, it’s nice to sit back and imagine Smith and the Pistons headed toward a happy ending.

“When I first met with Joe, he had me sold from the word go,” said Smith, who added he saw Detroit as his only option in free agency.

It doesn’t matter whether that’s true. For $56 million, the Pistons are buying Smith’s loyalty, and he’s saying what he should. Reality can come later, but ideally, it never will.

Diehard fans packing The Palace to cheer on Smith, LeBron-like versatility and a star player completely dedicated to the Pistons – that’s what the Pistons sold today. I’m not buying, but I am hoping.

• Jul 10, 20137:50 pm
    by Gordbrown

The Pistons record with Calderone was 7-20 and before the trade was .17-28. It was also 5-3 after he went out with an injury. How does losing Calderon hurt this team going forward again precisely?

• Jul 10, 20138:28 pm
      by RyanK

Exactly.  Dan and Patrick both were on the Calderon bandwagon and we see the actually results didn’t pan out.  Now they say these results will not pan out…let us hope they are equally right.

• Jul 10, 20138:34 pm
        by RyanK

Yeah, Drummond was injured…I know that’s coming next.  Drummond is a great talent, but he was getting 20 minutes before Calderon and totally mishandled.  Drummond had a positive impact before the injury, but not enough to explain the difference in records with and without Calderon.

• Jul 10, 20139:24 pm
          by oats

20 minutes of Drummond still left him with the second biggest positive impact of any Pistons player. If you think a team losing it’s second most productive player doesn’t impact the win loss record then I don’t know how to argue with that. 20 minutes of star player production is a really big deal.

I’d also add learning a new team and not having instant chemistry with them hurt him. The team also had a tougher schedule in his first few games than they did before he got there. After taking those losses the team lost focus and had really bad effort. That’s most definitely not all on Calderon. As for the record after his injury, that’s meaningless wins against tanking teams when Detroit should have been tanking too.

• Jul 10, 20139:58 pm
            by Gordbrown

Strength of schedule was harder in the first stretch of the season. Yes Drummond’s injury was a big factor. But you know what. That won’t be as much of an issue now that we have Smith.

• Jul 10, 20139:55 pm
      by Dan Feldman

So Austin Daye was the Pistons’ best player last year?

• Jul 10, 201310:21 pm
        by RyanK

I actually think the record fell off more because Tay was gone…  It had less to do with Calderon.  I’m sure there are fancy stats to show what happen in numbers…and they might not lead you to the same conclusion as I’ve made.  But Tay was a very steadying force…it seemed like he was the guy who took the big shots for the team.  Singler didn’t have the same positive impact on the team and sure didn’t know how to defend players he was seeing for the first time.  Tay isn’t the same defender he was 8 years ago, but his experience really helped the team.

• Jul 11, 20132:01 am
        by jacob

Summer LEAGUE Champ

• Jul 11, 20132:13 am
          by Dan Feldman

Also 12-12 in the regular-season games he played for the Pistons — better than anyone else on the team.

• Jul 11, 20137:46 am
            by RyanK

Are you kidding me.  This is why I’m not such a  numbers guys…they lie

• Jul 10, 201310:00 pm
      by Gordbrown

Regarding tanking, has anyone notice that had the Pistons had managed to win that last game against Brooklyn they would have picked third and not eighth?

• Jul 10, 201311:09 pm

You don’t really know that.

Detroit had 36 combinations. Washington had 35 combinations.

If Detroit had won one more game, they would have had 28 combinations to Washington’s 43. So, no, it would not have just flipped things. And even if you were right, it’s always smarter to play the odds, even when it doesn’t pay off.

• Jul 10, 201311:12 pm
        by gmehl

So what you’re saying is that if we ended up with a better record than Washington’s the combinations would’ve been drawn the same way. Haven’t you heard of the butterfly effect?? There’s every chance we could’ve ended up with the 9th pick too.

• Jul 11, 201312:05 am

And even if the combinations were drawn the same way, that wouldn’t ensure the Pistons picking 3rd overall.

• Jul 11, 20132:22 am
            by Jens

You are right, tarsier. A win in Brooklyn probably would have ma things worse. What I am still pissed about is the fact, that wth two more losses we would surely have had a choice of McLemore, Noel, Burke and KCP. I am positive on KCP as he Looks now, but switching Noel for Holiday (as NO did) would have solved a big Problem for us….

• Jul 11, 20139:37 am

Turning Noel into Holiday also cost an additional (probably lottery) pick. I don’t think that was a smart move at all. But I would have loved to draft McLemore.

• Jul 10, 20137:52 pm
    by Holy Crow

What Smith emphasized was that, along with Drummond and Monroe (and I think that it is safe to add Mitchell) that this will be a scary defensive team, and that was the difference between L’s and W’s last year. He was at least the third best free agent available, and the best fit, so I just don’t understand the lukewarm reception? Kudos to Killer Joe for bringing home the bacon.

• Jul 10, 20139:51 pm
      by danny

Thank you that trio will be able to cover so much ground at once.  They are really long and athletic and with sheed pointng out positioning I think we will be touh to score on.  But that’s fine Dan or Patrick think other wise.  Tired of so called fans thinking they know more than people who actually won.  Yes Joe has made some mistakes but what would you guys like him to do?  Wait another year and then hopefully try and sign someone again?  Next year with more expiring contracts we can go after another key player.  Two year plan SON!

• Jul 10, 20137:57 pm
    by BooG

I think this team is playoff bound & I like Smith’s enthusiasm about our squad. I’ve heard several times how he won’t fit, but his versatility in my opinion is EXACTLY what our team needs. He upgrades us defensively. He allows us to push the tempo. He’s a decent passer. He’s able to handle the ball. He moves well without the ball. He will not be a bust or a wasted free agent signing. Comparing him to Ben Gordon is ridiculous. We can easily take the place of Boston & Milwaukee (7th & 8th seeds last year) this upcoming season. And I have faith that Dumars will make more moves to help this team. And whether you or anyone else wants to admit it, Josh Smith is the 2nd most versatile player in the league after LeBron James. NO ONE else in the league has better all-around numbers than Smith besides King James. Please name another player that consistently scores, rebounds, assists, steals & block shots. He shoots 46% from the field overall. His only flaws are long distance shooting & free throw shooting. We didn’t sign him to be a shooter. That’s why they signed Datome. Singler is a shooter. Knight is a pretty good shooter. Smith will command extra attention which means he’ll either find Monroe or Drummond (both good finishers) open OR find a shooter (Knight, Datome, Singler, Middleton, KCP). And free agency isn’t over yet. WE ARE GOING BACK TO THE PLAYOFFS NEXT SEASON.

• Jul 10, 20139:29 pm
      by oats

Smith’s all around numbers only look good if you ignore shooting percentages. If you include them you find a guy that is a bad offensive player. He had a true shooting percentage of 49%, which is worse than guys like Kyle Singler. Him taking so many jump shots is down right harmful to an offense.

Also, it seems weird to add him not to shoot. He will likely start at SF, and the paint should be really packed due to the limited range of Monroe and Drummond. The team will likely have him in a position where he has to shoot, even if that isn’t what he was brought in to do.

• Jul 11, 20133:56 pm
        by Huddy

Completely hinges on whether or not Monroe has improved his midrange.  If both Smith and Monroe can hit a 12-15 footer then the spacing should be better and they are both very good passers for forwards so they would be able to work together.  We are also probably only talking 15 min a game he will be SF…I would emphasize not wasting his time at PF taking long jumpers so that even if his shot selection isn’t great in those 15 minutes the team has excellent rebounding and since Monroe is a good player down low Smith should at least be taking open shots if he is taking them at SF..on top of a good defensive squad.  That combination of things should curb the shooting woes rather than just flat out saying Smith is no longer allowed to shoot.

• Jul 10, 20139:39 pm
      by Tony J AD1 for 3!!!

I agree. Don’t compare Smith to BG please. BG was a one trick pony shooter and undersized for as much as that’s worth. Smith on the other hand does a little bit of everything. Rebounds, pass, athletic, shoot albeit not good, block shots, steal the ball, decent ball handler. Smith won’t be a bust of free agency because he has a much more diverse skill set than that of BG’s.

• Jul 10, 20138:12 pm
    by food4thought

I haven’t followed Smith closely enough to have a valid opinion about this signing, but I can read… most commentators are sold on Smith’s talent, but not on his mindset and fit with the Pistons as currently constructed.

That said, we just got a very good player, and that is a good thing.  The question is whether our coaching staff can manage Smith, and whether Dumars can make the necessary moves (whatever they may be) to fit pieces around him and whoever else fits into the team concept we are trying to build (which probably looks more like the 2004 team than the ’89-’90 team… we have no one of Isaiah’s calibre).

• Jul 10, 20138:36 pm
      by Max

Isiah’s caliber.

• Jul 10, 20138:30 pm
    by gmehl

The way I see things Smith was just trying to set the bar high going into next season but definitely a little too high. I am sure most fans would of been happy if he just said I think with me we’re definitely a playoff team and then left it at that. Becoming a contending team is when you are lucky enough to add final pieces to the puzzle like Rasheed and drafting rookies for fit rather than need. The way the east stands now I think you put the teams in these tiers:
    Tier 1 – Miami
    Tier 2 – Indiana, Chicago
    Tier 3 – Brooklyn, New York
    Tier 4 – Detroit, Milwaukee, Toronto, Washington, Cleveland
    Tier 5 – Orlando, Charlotte, Boston, Philadelphia, Atlanta

Going off the above the 6, 7 and 8 seeds are up for grabs and I think we’ll be fighting Milwaukee, Toronto, Washington and Cleveland for them. If healthy you could argue that Cleveland should be in tier 3 as they have just secured Andrew Bynum (its a BIG IF). Long story short Josh Smith should’ve tempered his expectations just a little but I’d be angry at him if he wasn’t confident.

• Jul 10, 20138:52 pm
      by Desolation Row

I think we’re at the top of Tier 4 and could be a move away from sneaking into #3. Maybe I’m just way too optimistic on Smith, but that’s just how I see it.

• Jul 11, 201312:08 am

Definitely too optimistic.

• Jul 11, 20134:24 pm
        by G

Agree with tarsier. In the 4th tier I’d probably slide Washington & Cleveland ahead of Detroit. Toronto’s about even, maybe a little behind.

• Jul 10, 20139:38 pm
      by oats

What caused Atlanta to plummet so far? They got Paul Millsap to fill in for Smith. There isn’t that big of a difference between those guys. They also lost Devin Harris and Pachulia, but that’s not a big loss. Between the rookies (Schroeder, Noguiera, and Muscala), Jared Cunningham, larger roles for Tolliver and Petro, and a hopefully healthy Louis Williams they should be fine. They seem like the best team in tier 4 to me, and the favorite for the 6 seed.

• Jul 10, 201311:18 pm
        by gmehl

I actually meant to have Atlanta in tier 4 (my bad) but I wouldn’t say they’re the favourite’s for the 6th seed. I don’t think Millsap will cover for Smith as good as you think.

• Jul 11, 201312:16 am

You’re underselling Brooklyn and New York. The Knicks don’t look that great on paper. But they managed to easily get the second seed last season, so they deserve some benefit of the doubt. And the Nets have Williams, Johnson, Pierce, Garnett, Lopez. Not much after that, but it should be one of the best starting lineups in the league.

Also, besides having Atlanta too low, why on earth is Toronto so high? I don’t think Gay can be handily the best player on a playoff team. Possibly Milwaukee as well. But that depends how free agency shakes out.

That’s honestly the best case one can make for why the Pistons would make the playoffs. There are really only 8 other playoff caliber teams in the East, so the Pistons only have to beat one of them out. Especially if they were to manage to get Teague. One of Washington/Cleveland/Atlanta would probably flop.

• Jul 11, 201312:51 am
          by oats

Millsap and Smith had virtually identical stats on a per minute basis. They lose a little passing and defense, but Millsap turns it over less and shoots way better. It’s a pretty neutral move in my opinion, because I just don’t see a big difference between those two guys. As far as I’m concerned that leaves them as the likely favorite to win the 6 seed. They belong in tier 4 because they are more likely to slide form there than move up, but they’re still the logical pick for the 6 seed.

• Jul 11, 201312:42 am
      by Max

As of today, I would make the tiers in this order with the tiers in order.   Some of the teams are a little hard to confidently construct right now though.

Tier 1
      Miami

Tier 2
      Brooklyn, Indiana

Tier 3
      Chicago, New York

Either could fall out the playoffs completely because they have lots of injury prone players…….Rose has got to be one the season’s biggest question marks and they haven’t signed Nate Robinson back yet.

Tier 4
      Cleveland, Detroit, Washington, Atlanta, Milwaukee, Charlotte, Boston

Bynum is the big mystery here.    Who will be running point for the Bucks or the Hawks?

Tier 5
      Philadelphia, Orlando

• Jul 11, 20132:30 am
      by Jens

I think you guys are underrating Charlotte with Big Al and Boston (if Rondo Comes back) and overrating Atlanta and Milwaukee. Clevelanf might be scary good! If Bynum is healthy (okay, hughe if!) Bynum, Bennett, Thompson is better than Smith, Monroe, Drummond for the next couple of years or so….

• Jul 10, 20138:35 pm
    by Max

Josh Smith is a game changer.   There’s nothing wrong with comparing him to LeBron if the comparison isn’t about putting him on par with James and that wasn’t the point Joe was making.  Smith has come in second in the GM polls to James btw on more than occasion regarding who was the most athletic player in the league.

• Jul 10, 20138:53 pm
    by Windy

Go get Rondo…I’m sold, a team consisting of Rondo, Smith and Dre is very strong…I love Moose like the rest but If you can parlay him for a top tier PG you have to make this move…I’m not goIng to try and break down how the whole trade should work out but if it is built upon Rondo/Wallace and Moose as the center piece I think you gotta pull the trigger…a starting lineup of Rondo, KCP, Wallace, Smith and Dre is a contender…iit it doesn’t happen I’m more than happy to try with Moose but the idea of adding a guy like Rondo to run the point has me all in…

• Jul 10, 20138:55 pm
    by David

Saw the whole press conference and like what I’ve heard, Smith looks like he’ll embrace being the leader on this team. I think a lot of people fail to remember Drummond was playing well and had he not got hurt they may had made a push of that 7 or 8 seed which I think they’ll do now. I don’t think Dumars is done I can see another trade to bring them closer ***coughs*** Rondo and then that will make them legit in the east. That is going to be a tough division next season as well with the Pacers, Bulls, If Milwaulkee keeps Jennings and Cleveland will be nice as well,

• Jul 10, 20138:55 pm
    by ryan

I wanted to be sick during the press conference.

• Jul 10, 20138:56 pm
    by AlC

If we had drafted Trey Burke, these same sourpuss fans would be ecstatic about the Smith signing and screaming “Cheeks is taking these guys to the Conference Finals!!!!” (Foam finger a waving) and packing the press conference while drooling over visions of Burke lobs to Josh Smith and believing that an 8th-pick rookie PG would somehow buck history and be a major impact player his first season.

• Jul 10, 201311:24 pm

Burke vs. KCP wouldn’t change the reaction to Smith’s signing.

But rookie PGs are often very impactful. Half of the last 8 ROYs were PGs and two of the others were combo guards.

Fantastic rookie PGs in recent years include Lillard (6th), Curry (7th), and Jennings (10th).

• Jul 11, 20131:26 am

This.

I haven’t seen a single concern about how Smith fits with the Pistons’ backcourt, only the rest of their frontcourt. Burke would change nothing in regards to Smith.

• Jul 10, 20138:56 pm
    by Desolation Row

I still don’t get why the BG comparisons are being made. Smith is one of the best defenders in the league. He is prone to taking bad shots, but that isn’t the extent of his offensive game. BG wasn’t just a bad fit, he was just bad. We landed a solid free agent at a contract that was not terrible despite being a lackluster market coming off a terrible stretch of losing seasons.

This isn’t the BG signing at all.

• Jul 10, 201310:07 pm
      by Gordbrown

No amount of advanced statistics could have predicted how much Ben Gordon’s game would have collapsed the way it did when he was at Detroit. There was lots of stuff going on (especially but not limited to injuries although he had no history of injuries prior to Detroit). The problem with the BG signing was the second half of that plan (trade Rip) didn’t happen, creating controversy and causing the team as a whole to go backwards. Therefore, this signing could be like BG, if Smith can’t play the 3 and controversy and confusion results. I just don’t believe that’s going to happen again (but concede it might so fingers crossed).

• Jul 10, 201311:22 pm
        by gmehl

If it doesn’t work out then you can bet Joe will be working the phones for a Monroe trade. I don’t want Moose gone so I am hoping and praying that everyone clicks. The other worry I have is that they relegate Drummond to the bench which would shit everybody.

• Jul 11, 201312:46 am
        by Max

Ben Gordon was not one of the best athletes in the entire league.  And Ben Gordon never got to play with as dominant an athlete as Drummond.   The Pistons have flat out not been athletic enough in recent years.

• Jul 11, 20131:11 am
      by Dan Feldman

Gordrbown covered most of this well already, but to reiterate:

“BG wasn’t just a bad fit, he was just bad.”

Gordon was plain bad in Detroit, but if you think he was “just bad” with the Bulls, I don’t know what to say. There has been plenty of debate about just how good he was in Chicago, but nobody has ever credibly accused him being bad there.

His dropoff in Detroit was way more extreme than anticipate.

As far as his defense, style has nothing to do with the point I’m making. My point is Gordon and Hamilton didn’t fit well together. Smith, Monroe and Drummond might not fit well together. Obviously, those fit concerns are based on completely different elements of the game.

• Jul 11, 20132:40 am
        by Jens

The first 20 games of BGs stint with Detroit were excellent. The dropoff came after he twisted his ankle, sat out for a while and had to give up minutes for Rip, then. It was Joe Ds mistake to NOT correct the Situation. Maybe he was not allowed to deal Rip, but unless that´s the case the decision not to do so came from Joe

• Jul 10, 20139:21 pm
    by Corey

Fit is being overemphasized in discussing this signing. The team needed (and needs) more talent. There was no one move- not even getting James for a 2nd round pick- that was going to make this a championship roster. Signing Smith gets us closer. KCP and Luigi are both 3pt shooters, so it’s not as if JoD has been blind to that need.

• Jul 11, 201312:52 am
      by Jordan

” There was no one move- not even getting James for a 2nd round pick- that was going to make this a championship roster.”

Yeah it would have. Wouldn’t happen but still, any team with NBA players that added LeBron would be a contender.

• Jul 11, 20131:18 am
      by Dan Feldman

“Fit is being overemphasized in discussing this signing. The team needed (and needs) more talent.”

Yes. Totally. And in most circumstances, I’d be thrilled to get Smith and sort out the fit issues later. But if Smith doesn’t fit well, the Pistons might make only small gains next season. Because Detroit still owes the Bobcats a first-round pick (top-eight protected in 2014), small gains that don’t result in a playoff berth would be a disaster.

“There was no one move- not even getting James for a 2nd round pick- that was going to make this a championship roster.”

Mike James? I’m sure you don’t mean LeBron.

• Jul 11, 20132:50 pm

Maybe he meant Posey.

• Jul 10, 20139:29 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

So it would have been better if Smith and Dumars said

” I don’t think he’ll impact the team much”
    “I didn’t really want to be here but you guys made a better offer”
    “Josh, Greg and Drummond are going to struggle”
    “We probably won’t make the play-off, hopefully we will get a top 8 pick”

Smith is a VERY VERY GOOD PLAYER…. He is a consistent Jump shoot away from being a GREAT PLAYER!

• Jul 10, 20139:41 pm
      by oats

There is zero evidence to suggest him developing a jumper is even remotely likely.

• Jul 10, 201311:12 pm
        by I HATE FRANK

@Oats IT STILL LEAVES US WITH A VERY,VERY GOOD PLAYER! ….

• Jul 11, 201312:20 am

That is true. And at this point, that’s what Detroit needs. Give it a season before deciding the fit won’t work and pursuing a trade. Although, if in the meantime a great option comes up, it would be great to move one of the bigs for an equal or better perimeter player.

• Jul 11, 20131:29 am
          by oats

I wouldn’t call him very very good. Very very good is practically an All Star, and last year he played like little more than a solid starter. The 3 years prior to that he was pretty close to an All Star pace though, so I will say he has the potential to be very very good. The problem is that he needs to shoot the ball well to be very very good, and for him that means he cuts back on the jump shots. Playing the 3 likely encourages him to take jump shots. I’m expecting him to be good, but not very very good.

• Jul 11, 20135:21 am
            by I HATE FRANK

Oats he was need snubbed for the All-star game probably more than any other player currently in the NBA…

The year Al Horford made it … Several people felt Josh deserved it more, last year many people felt he was snubbed because of his issues with the coach… His Number and performance in the last 3 years have been All-star worthy…its a silly arguement you are making against…

According analytics he rates as one of the best if not the best perimeter defender…

He finishes at the rim at a high rate

His weakness is his jump shoot, that is what will make him great…but as of now he is a VERY,VERY heck VERY GOOD PLAYER

• Jul 10, 20139:45 pm
      by Javell

Everybody has to admit! Smith has been snubbed in the allstar game! (slur removed) chris bosh keep making it! And it gets on my nerves! 1piston big man atleast better be an allstar this year! Drummond monroe or smith

• Jul 10, 201311:19 pm

Bosh is married… to a woman.

• Jul 10, 201311:25 pm
          by gmehl

^^and the comment of the week goes to (insert drum roll) tasier for the funniest comment in quite some time… good job man LMAO :-)

• Jul 11, 20132:07 am
          by jacob

Lil wayne taps that hahaha

• Jul 11, 201312:55 am
        by Jordan

Bosh is a much better player than Smith. Not worth getting much more into it with someone that still uses gay as an insult.

• Jul 10, 20139:56 pm
      by Tony J AD1 for 3!!!

They definetly should have said that according to the way fans feel. Every move made by the pistons organization is sure to spark up the pessimistic “fans.” Heck, even if we signed LeBron some fans would find something to complain and moan about. There’s no pleasing most Pistons fans and I don’t see why. Do I think this is the absolute best move made by Joe D? No but I see the silver lining in things. These fans always focus and point out negatives instead of looking at some of the positives. Adding Josh Smith may take away shooting in the starting lineup but we have role players that can come off the bench if we need 3 point shooting. Adding Josh Smith brings more positives than the negatives honestly. Smith brings us more rebounding, athleticism, an ability to run the opponents out of the building (which is great for this team because we have guys like KCP, Knight and Dre who loves to run the floor as well), and Smith also gives us our best defensive starting 5 since the 2005 season.

• Jul 11, 20131:20 am

So it would have been better if Smith and Dumars said

” I don’t think he’ll impact the team much”
      “I didn’t really want to be here but you guys made a better offer”
      “Josh, Greg and Drummond are going to struggle”
      “We probably won’t make the play-off, hopefully we will get a top 8 pick”

“Today’s press conference focused on best-case scenarios, and that’s what it should have done.”

• Jul 10, 20139:46 pm
    by Timetodienow1234567

Dan is a typical sports analyst. He makes up his mind and then ignores facts to the contrary. He reminds me of Skip Bayless.

• Jul 10, 20139:57 pm
      by Tony J AD1 for 3!!!

I invision Dan as a mixture of Bayless, Jeff Van Gundy and Stephan A. Smith… Very stubborn individuals to say the least.

• Jul 11, 201312:57 am
      by Jordan

Kettle meet pot, pot kettle. Now stop calling each other black.

• Jul 11, 20131:06 am
      by Dan Feldman

Name one fact I have ignored.

• Jul 11, 20132:53 pm

The fact that this conversation is highly unlikely to go anywhere.

• Jul 10, 20139:47 pm
    by Travis

I’m not completely sold on Josh Smith or the current roster, but more changes will be made between now and the first month of the season.

With that being said, in my opinion, Smith at $54M over 4 years is a better deal than Dwight Howard at $88M over 4 years. Howard is notorious for disapearing in the playoffs, lacks the mentality to be a champion level player, and the addition of Howard doesn’t drastically change Houston’s odds of winning the Western Conference. At least with Smith, rookie contracts, and $5M in cap space – the Pistons odds of improving dramatically in 3-4 years are much better than Houston’s odds, who have 2 players with max deals. That’s just my perspective on the Howard and Smith signings this off-season.

• Jul 10, 20139:51 pm
    by Mike

I think Dumars did “learn from the Gordon debacle,” because he came into the process saying “if I’m going to spend my money, I’m going to get someone I know is really good.” I don’t like the fit if they’re dead set on playing him at the 3 (I’m not convinced that’s the plan for next season), but I’m at least happy that they spent their money on a legit all-star type player, as opposed to doing what teams like Milwaukee and Minnesota do all the time in terms of adding 2-3 guys at $5-7 million a year who are flawed and can’t play regular minutes.

I don’t know if the Pistons are a playoff team, but as long as they don’t go into this trying to force something that isn’t there, I don’t see this being anything close to the disaster the previous FA spending spree was.

• Jul 10, 201310:01 pm
    by Fennis

@ Feldman

I appreciate the balance in the most. There are plenty of reasons to be skeptical about the Smith signing, but I personally think it’s a step in the right direction.

• Jul 11, 20131:00 am
      by Dan Feldman

I think it’s a very good step in the direction the Pistons want to go. If they’re totally committed to winning as many games next season as possible, there’s no better free agent they could have gotten. Unfortunately, there was no perfect free agent available, and Smith presents some complications (mainly floor spacing) even with only next year in mind.

• Jul 10, 201310:11 pm
    by shockwave2k

I’m in total agreement with Windy.  We gotta GO GET RONDO!!!! I say whatever it takes with Drummond being the only guy off limits.  Even if it means taking on Gerald Wallace’s bad contract to do so!  Maybe something along the lines of Moose, Singler (nice young talent) and Charlie V (expiring contract) for Rondo and Gerald Wallace.  I know Rondo is coming off a major injury so there is uncertainty there but, I think it’s worth the gamble.  A team of C-Drummond, PF-Smith, SF-Wallace, SG-Knight, PG-Rondo along with Jerebko, Bynum, KCP, Stuckey, and the Italian guy seems like a definite playoff team!  I mean, the starting line up has the look of being a top defensive unit alone!  What do you guys think?

• Jul 10, 201310:17 pm
      by Gordbrown

That will be an especially effective plan in the first two months of the season when Rondo doesn’t play, won’t it? Do the words ACL tear not put fear into your heart?

• Jul 10, 201310:47 pm
        by shockwave2k

Gordbrown, yes….an ACL tear does give me fear but, I personally think that a talent (top 2 or 3 PG) like Rondo is worth the risk.  He’s still young, 29 or 30 I believe) and look at Adrian Peterson……he came back better than ever!  Very risky I know, but worth a roll of the dice……IMO.

• Jul 11, 201312:38 am
          by Who Is Us?

Derrek Rose, Russell Westbrook, Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Tony Parker, Steve Nash are the top 6 PG. You could make and argument that Rondo rounds out the top 10 but John Wall, Mike Conley, Jrue Holiday, Grevious Vasquez, Steph Curry, Jeff Teague, and Damien Lillard might have something to say about that. While Rondo has the lead in assists, pretty much all those guys put up better scoring numbers, shoot better from 3pt range, and shoot better from the FT line.

Rondo has never proven he can be a great PG without being surrounded by 3 HOF’ers. He has a more broken 3pt stroke than Stuckey and Bynum, is way below average from the FT line for your primary ball handler, and is nearly 30 coming off a torn ACL. Monroe is a 23 year old 6’11″ C/PF who averages nearly a double-double, and is a borderline All-Star. You don’t trade that away for a player like Rondo (old NBA adage,never trade big for small, and only trade youth for age if you are planning to win now).

While trading Rondo would win some headlines, he would make Detroit’s spacing issues even worse, his whole game is based on speed and quickness and he is coming off an ACL injury (I know people are saying he’ll be ready by training camp, but remember Derrek Rose was supposed to be ready to play by mid-season this past year and look how that turned out) On top of that losing Monroe, only to watch him become and All Star would be doubly detrimental. It just wouldn’t be the right move.

• Jul 11, 201312:43 am

You think Nash is still better than Curry, holiday, Wall, and Irving?

• Jul 11, 20131:05 am
            by oats

The age thing is important. It makes sense for Detroit to have guys who are relatively close in terms of age to Drummond. Still, let’s not overstate things. Rondo is 27. That makes him 7 years older than Drummond. That still makes it so Rondo doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Also, tarsier is right and Nash is not a top 10 PG anymore. I agree with the basic point you are making though.

• Jul 10, 201310:33 pm
    by V.

Really hard to make any judgment until we know what the final roster looks like. I will say this much though. Defense still wins rings, and we will play defense next year. I think it’s likely that CV and Stuckey are gone, and BK will not be the starting PG come opening night. I don’t need Langlois tweeting to know that. So, what Dumars can come up with is going to be interesting.

Rondo at this point must be the obvious target, but it’s really problematical, with the ACL and all.

• Jul 10, 201310:41 pm
    by Oracle

This is ABSOLUTELY a playoff team right now! You could fly  Boeing 747 through the talent difference between Ben Gordon & Josh Smith! Smith is by far the superior player.

Defensively, even with Monroe, this team is formidable! When you have defense and rebounding like this, you can afford to be an average scoring team!

But the biggest reason this team will make the playoffs is that in the east, they won’t lose the games this team lost in the past few years because the defense will be so much better!

Last I looked, NOBODY was saying Josh Smith can’t play defense or couldn’t rebound, or couldn’t get his share of steals!

• Jul 10, 201310:51 pm
    by Fennis

The thing people forget about Monroe is that he has very quick hands. He gets a lot of deflections and solid steals stats for a big. Smith and Drummond get excellent steals stats without cheating much, and I expect KCP to get about 1.5 to 2 a game.

If these guys block a lot of shots, get a lot of steals and turnovers, and run like they stole something, they could be very good. My point is, the better you are at turning teams over the more you can run, the less you have to rely on outside shooting. This isn’t a plan for championship success in the playoffs, but it makes elite outside shooting a less immediate concern because even with that we’re not yet championship caliber.

PS – Can we please stop with the Rondo talk? The Pistons would trade Monroe to Boston for a three year window, at which point Josh Smith is 30 and they still have not even one reliable offensive player between Rondo, Smith, and Drummond. It makes no sense. And that’s without mentioning the fact that no one in this fantasized big-3 shoots over 65% from the free throw line. That team is a second round playoff exit at best.

• Jul 11, 201312:11 am
      by Who Is Us?

Fennis, I have now added you to the Roster of Reasonable People.

• Jul 11, 20131:10 am
      by oats

I would have this team running too. Do we have any reason to think Cheeks will? He only coached one fast paced team in his career, and that was the year that Iverson was his PG. That strikes me as being less about what he wants to do and more to do with Iverson just doing whatever he wants to do. I guess OKC has been pretty fast paced and maybe he’s changed his opinion on that, but it’s definitely not a certainty.

• Jul 11, 20131:41 am
        by Dan Feldman

I’m hopeful the Pistons will run more, even though Cheeks hasn’t done it much and the Pistons haven’t done it much. It’s definitely an interesting issue and one we will be writing more about before the season.

• Jul 11, 20131:24 am
      by Tony J AD1 for 3!!!

Exactly what I emphasized on a few other threads. This team is a team that can get out and run the floor. Knight is quick and pretty good defensively, KCP has defensive potential and quick hands, Smith can block shots and has quick hands, Moose has quick hands and Dre can block and has quick hands as well. I can definetly see this team in the top 10 in fastbreak points this year… Maybe even top 5 (or am I being too optimistic?)

• Jul 10, 201310:55 pm
    by Rich

The Hamilton extension was worth it?  On what planet?

• Jul 10, 201311:30 pm

That was pretty confusing.

• Jul 11, 201312:12 am
        by Dan Feldman

His original extension, signed in 2003. His later extension wasn’t for $50 million. It was for $37.5 million.

• Jul 11, 201312:24 am

Oh, ok. Gotcha. That second one felt like it was over $50M because it was such a high annual rate.

• Jul 10, 201311:47 pm
    by Scott

This is such a negative Website. Of course you are giving your opinions, but god damn is it not getting hard to read.

Your team just signed the best player that they could reasonably sign. Be excited because its your team. Stop being so skeptical so if it doesn’t work you can say “I told you so.” Yeah you say that you hope your wrong but deep down you hope you’re right.

Blog ran by the wrong kind of fans.

• Jul 11, 20131:51 am
      by Tony J AD1 for 3!!!

Yea. As a sports writer I woul like to see both the negatives and positives of each move. Dan always shifts his focus to the negatives and finally speaks about positive things after everyone starts to turn into an angry mob.

I honestly only see one valid flaw in Smith’s game and that is just ill advised shots. I don’t see why many people are complaining and I just don’t buy into the whole floor spacing thing. Last season the Pistons notorious bench mob of Bynum, Daye, CV and Dre was our best 3 point shooting lineup. Are you saying that the bench mob should have started? NO WAY!!! The bench mob were role players who knew their role. Their role was to give us a good inside-outside scoring punch when the starting lineup struggles on offense. I believe this team can be set up the same way:

PG: Knight
      SG: KCP
      SF: Smith
      PF: Moose
      C: Dre

Bench:
      Bynum
      Singler (or Middleton)
      Datomi
      CV31
      Dre or Moose or Slava

The starting lineup may struggle at times with floor spacing but the bench is full of 3 point threats who can give us a scoring punch when the offense starts to sputter.

• Jul 11, 201312:04 am
    by Crispus

When Joe D drafts for fit instead of talent it’s WAAAH WAAAH WAAAH TREY BURKE IS A TOP FIVE TALENT THIS WILL HANG OVER THE PISTONS FOR DECADES. When Joe D signs for talent instead of fit it’s WAAAH WAAAH WAAAH JOSH SMITH WILL ONLY SHOOT LONG TWOS OR RUN INTO MONROE IN THE LANE WHAT A RECKLESS SIGNING.

Throw caution to the wind Dan my man. Detroit just got some new toys, lets see how they can arrange them to make the playoffs. Joe is getting crafty and grabbing both giant free agents and Italian guys that nobody knows about (remember in Godfather II when they find Frank Pentageli’s brother and it completely changes the hearings?). Leave the pessimism to the commenters and rejoice in new beginnings.

• Jul 11, 201312:08 am
      by Who Is Us?

Glad I’m not the only one who noticed that. I also found that ironic and humorous.

• Jul 11, 201312:29 am

Also, KCP was no better a fit than Burke. The Pistons had multiple glaring holes. One of them was a competent PG.

• Jul 11, 20131:32 am
        by Dan Feldman

“I have not received the impression that Dan thinks it was a stupid decision for Dumars to sign Smith.

His posts have mostly been more or less ” the talent acquisition is exciting. the lack of fit is kinda scary.””

Thanks, tarsier. I was worried I had accidentally omitted parts of my previous posts.

• Jul 11, 20131:13 am
      by oats

That actually makes sense though. The draft is largely a crap shoot and you don’t know exactly what kind of player you are going to end up with. Between that and the low salary on draft picks it makes sense to draft on talent and work out fit later. Free agency is the opposite. You have a pretty good idea what kind of player you are getting because he’s been in the league for awhile. What’s more, with the high salaries involved it is much harder to move guys around if they don’t fit at all. So yes, I would say that you should draft on need but acquire free agents on fit. That just makes more sense than doing it the other way around.

• Jul 11, 20131:31 am
        by Dan Feldman

Well said, oats. Agree completely with all your points, but I just want to further emphasize the difference between drafting largely unknowns and signing largely knowns. To me, that’s especially important relative to the other differences between the draft and free agency. Identifying the best players (regardless of fit) in the draft is hard enough as is. By comparison, identifying the best free agents (regardless of fit) is easy.

• Jul 11, 201311:54 am
        by Crispus

I can agree with those points oats.

• Jul 11, 20133:00 pm

I mostly agree with you. But sometimes, like in this year’s FA class, there just aren’t any high level good fits. So then I would focus more on good value. I would have preferred to sign Millsap at $9.5M/yr to Smith at $13.5M/yr.

But overall, I can’t complain too much. This was a move with good upside, and it would have to enormously flop in order to be inescapable.

• Jul 11, 20131:57 am
      by Tony J AD1 for 3!!!

HAHA I honestly didn’t think about that but that is very valid. What happen to everybody complaining on draft night about getting talent over fit huh? Man some of these Pistons fans really get to me… No offense to all of the true fans (like myself) who can see the silver lining as opposed to just the negatives but Pistons fans are by far the most unpleasing fans in the league. EVERY move gets criticized like Dave Stern on draft night

• Jul 11, 201312:07 am
    by Who Is Us?

“The Pistons finished 24 games under .500 last season, and although their young players should get better, they also lost their best point guard. Smith alone doesn’t “definitely” fix enough problems  to get the Pistons into the playoffs.”

Dan, unlike most people on this board I try to avoid calling you out unless I feel you are way off base. Well this is one of those times. You say the Pistons lost their best Point Guard, that just isn’t true. You can justify you position with assist-to-turnover ratio and made up advanced metric stats but the fact is that although he had the best assist numbers, Jose Calderon was the Pistons WORST PG.

Three player started for the Pistons as PG during the season; Knight, Claderon, and Stuckey. Of he three their winning percentages were .667, .382, and .150. Now I judge who is the best PG by who leads their team to the most success, not who puts up the best stats (which is why I put Russell Westbrook and Tony Parker, ahead of John Wall and Kyrie Irving).

By this most important statistic Calderon was the WORST PG to start for the Pistons, his 3-17 record and .150 winning % was anemic even by Pistons standards over the past 4 years. Knight more than double up Calderon winning percentage with the 21-34 record as a starter and .382 winning %. Over 55 games that Knight started Knight led the Pistons to 72.4% of the team’s wins, and 64.2% of the team’s losses. By comparison Calderon was responsible for only 10.3% of team wins and 32.1% of the teams losses while only playing in only 24.4% of the Pistons games.

Swirl that around in your mind for a bit and let it sink in. Calderon played in less than one Quarter  of the Pistons total games, but was the team leader/PG for just under ONE THIRD of their losses. Knight on the other hand started just over 2/3 of the games at team leader/PG and was responsibel for just under 3/4 of team wins. Yet somehow Calderon is the better PG because he has better assist numbers. Not so sure your logic holds up.

Now the scariest thing is that the .667 win percentage belongs to Stuckey. In his 6 game, end of the season, cameo as a starting PG he led the team to 4 wins in 6 games while averaging 12.8pts, 5.5assts, 1.8reb, 1.5to. (Knight by the way put up 12pts, 3.67assts, 3.17reb, 2.67to play SG). Granted it is only 6 games, but by winning percentage Stuckey is the best PG of the three, but both destroy Calderon when it comes to leading their team to victory.
    Please feel free to respond. (However, a response of “wins aren’t solely determined by the PG play” is not a valid one since Assists and TO are not the sole responsibility of the PG as there are other factor that go into determining those as well.)

• Jul 11, 201312:42 am

“Now I judge who is the best PG by who leads their team to the most success, not who puts up the best stats (which is why I put Russell Westbrook and Tony Parker, ahead of John Wall and Kyrie Irving”

So do you also Conley ahead of Paul? Or Chalmers ahead of Holiday?

Team success is a reflection of team play. I agree that wins are part of the analysis, but you have to put them in context.

If Duncan looks old again and the Spurs don’t win as many games this year, will that mean Parker has declined?

• Jul 11, 20131:06 am
      by Max

@Who is Us   MAJOR PROPS

Stuckey should start.  Plain and simple.

Some people around here are so mad at him for disappointing them by not being an all star that they can’t see he is at the least serviceable.    He doesn’t turn the ball over.  He can initiate offense.  He creates matchup problems for against anyone smaller than him.

I’ve been reading lots of excuses for Knight as a point guard but no one is still making those excuses for Stuckey even though the excuses of not having a good coach and not having a good enough team with good shooters was equally applicable to his time running the point.

At this point, emotion is making many say Knight should get just one more chance and Stuckey should be traded.  The truth is that Stuckey makes the most sense as the point guard with Knight as the sixth man or starting shooting guard.   Stuckey’s trade value can only go up if the Pistons start winning with him as a starter.   Then when Stuckey finally does get replaced with a point guard who can both run the offense and  shoot from the outside, Knight will have adjusted to the role and expectation of not being the team’s point guard.  Why drag it out and not give the team the best chance to win the most games this year?

• Jul 11, 20139:57 am

As the team is currently constructed, starting Stuckey would certainly be a reasonable option. He’s not a whole lot better than Knight or Bynum, so any of those options would be defensible.

But the roster need not stay as presently constructed. The fact that a barely serviceable starting PG would be the best option for that slot is an indication that perhaps a better one ought to be acquired. Unless the team is tanking, which would make no sense right now.

• Jul 11, 20131:17 am
      by oats

“However, a response of “wins aren’t solely determined by the PG play” is not a valid one since Assists and TO are not the sole responsibility of the PG as there are other factor that go into determining those as well.”

That’s a ridiculous stance to take. The PG is in far more control of his own passing than in his team’s winning percentage. Point guards with crappy teammates can often get their assists, but they rarely carry their team to victories all on their own.

• Jul 11, 201312:11 am
    by Moonchild

Another negative opinion of the pistons, and im sure when Trey Burke finally has a good game, another post of why we should of drafted him will pop up….. The Pistons are heading in a great direction, and all the true, balanced fans see this…..

Im happy with everything Smith said, it seems Dan wants him to say how much this organization sucks and how we have no chance to win anything.  Its great such a quality player is excited to play in Detroit. hopeffuly rondo will follow….  Now I will close with this, just because it proves the type of high quality player we just signed.

“Josh Smith, 1 of 4 players since the 2004-2005 season with 10,000 pts, 5,000 reb, and 2,000 assist.  The other 3: Lebron James, kevin garnett and Pau Gasol!!!!!!”

• Jul 11, 201312:14 am
      by Dan Feldman

“it seems Dan wants him to say how much this organization sucks and how we have no chance to win anything.”

• Jul 11, 20131:27 am
    by JZdoesWORK

Detroit was NOT 24 games under .500 last year. They lost 24 more games than they won. In reality they would have only had to win 12 more games to be 41-41. How many games did they lose by less than 5 points? I counted 14. Not to mention thee eis weeks week enough to send a sub .500 team to the playoffs, but does anyone remember the 32-50 to 50-32 turn around under carLyle? I’m not saying that I think that can or will happen next year, but winning 12 more games than last year completely possible and probably greater than 50/50 chance if we stay relatively healthy.

• Jul 11, 20131:53 am
    by Dan Feldman

How many games did they lose by less than 5 points? I counted 14.

13 — fewer than the Cavaliers did

• Jul 11, 20132:12 am
    by jacob

Joe D said he is not done upgrading the roster so everyone should just hold on a sec.

• Jul 11, 20132:32 am
    by neutes

I’m not a big fan of the signing but I do think it, combined with KCP and Drummond getting more minutes, probably propels them to above .500. not by much, but it should. And given that I think they are likely a playoff team. Just not in the sense that the Heat, Pacers, Nets, or Bulls are playoff teams.

• Jul 11, 20132:35 am
    by Danny

before we sell the farm for a PG, lets not forget Knight is only 21 years old.  He’s still growing and now under the tutelage of former a 4 time all-star PG Maurice Cheeks, he may be poised to become the PG we wanted him to be.  Knight, Pope, Smith, Monroe, Drummond!  Add a good bench and the next couple of years may be rather exciting.

• Jul 11, 201310:20 am

Sure, I’m against giving a PG a bad contract. but it would seem worthwhile to hedge one’s bets. Sign a good PG to a fair contract that can easily be moved if Knight does in fact suddenly become a good NBA player.

• [...] In the meantime, look out for the yellow balloons over the course of this week and get your Twibbon on – customise your Twitter avatar to become part of the Team… Read more… [...]

• Jul 12, 20139:23 am
    by Moe

If you’re smart enough Ito figure out there’s spacing issue then I think Dumars can also figure that our. None of us know what’s going to happen next. Detroit is not a free agent destination and Smith is probably the best player we can ever get. There’s no more building through the draft, only way to improve is signing Smith. I’m sure they’ll fix the spacing issue, no need to be a pessimist and write an article that was written a hundred times online already.