Jose Calderon to sign with Mavericks, leaving Pistons in a pickle

After playing just 102 minutes with Andre Drummond, Jose Calderon is leaving the Pistons without true point guard.

Marc Stein of ESPN:

The Dallas Mavericks agreed to a deal with point guard Jose Calderon, agent Mark Bartlestein told ESPN.com.

The contract is worth $29 million over four years, sources said.

The Pistons made no secret about their desire to keep Jose Calderon, and in that regard, this is a failure.

Calderon never raised the Pistons’ offense the way Patrick or I thought he could, but I think that can partially be chalked up to him and Andre Drummond trading injuries and just pure chance. Though the Pistons didn’t score more with Calderon on the court, he’s still a top-end offensive point guard who can shoot efficiently from the perimeter, make pinpoint passes and protect the basketball.

After even just a half season with Calderon, nobody can be excited to turn the show back over to Brandon Knight and Rodney Stuckey, who are, as Maurice Cheeks called them at his introductory press conference, combo guards. I’m not down on the idea of a combo guard running the offense as most who’ve suffered through the post-Chauncey Billups era – the lack of quality in Detroit’s point guards has been more problematic than their style – but Joe Dumars has indicated he’s moved on.

“It’s clear we need a true point guard on this team,” Dumars told John Niyo of The Detroit News when the Pistons traded for Calderon.

But where to find one now?

Calderon ranked second to just Chris Paul last season in pure point rating (minimum 10 games), and replacing Calderon’s point guard instincts and level of competence won’t be easy.

Jarrett Jack (25th in pure point rating) is an unrestricted free agent, and the Pistons have already talked with him. If I had to guess a point guard the Pistons will sign, he’s my choice by a mile (though I’d take the field over any individual), but he also has other suitors.

Jeff Teague (16th) is more appealing, and Brandon Jennings (31st ) would OK though likely overpaid. But both are restricted free agents, meaning the Hawks and Bucks, respectively, have the option to match any contract the Pistons offer. Now that Dwight Howard is off the market and Paul Millsap is signing there, Atlanta doesn’t seem likely to let Teague get away.

Rajon Rondo (third) would obviously be better than any other option, but the asking price likes begins with Greg Monroe or Andre Drummond, and there’s no clear sign the Celtics are rushing to trade their best player, who’s still just 27 years old.

Otherwise, the remaining free agent pickings are slim. Chauncey Billups would be a lot of fun, but he’s no longer the answer. Will Bynum seems more likely to return than ever, but at this point, bringing back the same guards would qualify as a major disappointment.

The Tayshaun Prince-for-Calderon trade was still worthwhile, because it ridded the Pistons of Prince’s too-lengthy contracts off the books and cleared cap space.

If only there were a point guard to spend it on.

• Jul 6, 201310:44 am
    by Worm

Just so I can be even more pissy about this whole deal, if we hypothetically would have been involved in the GS salary dump and received a 1st rounder for next year, could we have given that to the Cats? Or is the deal strictly on our 1st rounder? I forget the terms of the deal.

• Jul 6, 20131:56 pm
      by Otis

Worm. Dude. Charlotte is getting our pick. Whatever crap pick we try to dump on them, they’ll say no. They have a right to our pick. They aren’t stupid. Stupid was dumping that pick to have a bunch of useless flexibility a season early.

• Jul 6, 20132:13 pm
        by Jon

he’s not saying if we can ask them to swap first rounders. he’s asking if there is a clause in the deal that says any first rounder that we get that falls into the rules for the protected pick goes to them or only our original pick can go to them?

• Jul 6, 20132:23 pm
          by oats

Every report on it is that it has to be Detroit’s pick.

• Jul 6, 20135:23 pm

It’s Detroit’s pick.

I’ve never heard of a trade which said that if the team acquired some other pick down the road,they could give it up instead.

• Jul 7, 20132:38 am
      by Dan Feldman

It has to be Detroit’s pick. Teams can’t trade picks they don’t have, and the Pistons didn’t have any other pick when they made the trade.

• Jul 6, 201310:44 am
    by mshansky

Building the team little by little, adding pieces as needed AFTER seeing what the current roster provides seems like a solid plan. it will take a few more drafts and a lot of patience, but it will require the pistons to play their rookies and 2nd year guys and give them a chance to show what they can do. dumping cv and stunkey wouldnt hurt the process either. the only downside i see is that the attendance at games is likely to suffer further until the fan base sees that the team is on an upward trajectory. unfortunately, we cannot say that now.

• Jul 6, 20133:16 pm
      by Quin

Could have signed Jeremy Lin, which would have helped attendance. Plus, I believe he’s a good point guard. If Houston keeps him, I guess we’ll see if his number improve with a center who has actual hands. It could turn any point guard’s assist numbers way up. Ah well.

• Jul 6, 201310:50 am
    by TheDash

So I Joe gonna do now. I wouldn’t get my hopes invested in this season. It will be bad if Suckey is your PG.

• Jul 6, 201310:51 am
    by Aaron

As far as the destination thing, there are just teams/cities/markets guys rather play in.  Several things go into signing or trading a player so one team obviously can’t sign everyone.  Teams like the Mavs Lakers Bulls Nets Knicks Heat and Boston are places guys want to play/live in and thats why they are always in the mix.  Thats what I meant about Detroit not being a F/A destination.

• Jul 6, 201310:53 am
    by Windy

I agree with a lot of people on here that I’m glad Joe D didn’t overpay for a guy we just don’t need at this point…Smith is not the answer, he is a good player but simply doesnt fit…

Use your money wisely, we got $20 mil coming off the books next year with Stuckey, CV and Krav coming off the books…

Go out and build a solid bench…snag Brandon Wright probably in the range of 3/15 or 3/18…that is a huge pay raise for him, I honestly think he could go for about $4 mil a year…try to pursue Wilson Candler to fill the SF via a trade, if that is not happening then we gotta talk to Brewer and AK47 as a stop gap player who can start and provide defense and atheletism which we need…next try to get Neal or Jack to fill a role for the year…

At the end of NEXT season where again we would have money to spend on a more fitting player we would then have developed a bench…We obviously need a SF that can handle the load…Does Joe D have time to work a situation like this out, probably not…would have been nice to snag a few guys like Korver and Bellinili to help with our shooting…doesn’t seem like there are a lot of pure shooters left…

• Jul 6, 201311:33 am
      by Desolation Row

Not a bad way to go, but how many guys want to sign for just one season?

• Jul 6, 20132:15 pm
        by Jon

i think they’d be ok with it if they were making three seasons worth of money in a season

• Jul 6, 201311:36 am
      by George

I agree with Windy.  I this point, we really should focus on getting value guys like Wright and Chandler.  No use throwing good money at bad.  I would be open to taking on a bad expiring deal with our cap space if we get picks/prospects.

• Jul 6, 201311:33 am
    by Terrell

I still think the Detroit Pistons should trade Greg Monroe because it’s obvious that Greg Monroe is the worst fit for Andre Drummond that can possibly be he’s a for that doesn’t shoot the jumper very well so there for 2 o’clock the middle Josh Smith will be a better fit and maybe that will open the door for us to trade Greg Monroe maybe we can now offer Boston wouldn’t need to start rebuilding we still will be left with a humongous whole a small for position however if we can get creative and offer Toronto a better package for the gay that would be awesome

• Jul 6, 201311:45 am
      by Desolation Row

Monroe’s value could very well be peaking in trade value given his contract, age, and apparent maximization of his skills within his physical abilities. Considering that the top players we could probably land are mostly big men (Smith, Asik, Al Jefferson), he probably makes the most sense to move to upgrade another position (i.e. PG w Rondo). I wouldn’t pull the trigger though unless I knew I was getting Asik or Jefferson. I still think Smith could work with Monroe and Drummond though.

• Jul 6, 20131:47 pm
        by oats

How many 22 year old players have hit their peak? The idea that Monroe is at his peak seems kind of odd to me. There just aren’t enough guys that hit their ceiling this quickly for this to be a real concern. It should be assumed that Monroe will get better. That also means that his maximum trade value probably has not been reached.

• Jul 6, 201311:42 am
    by Desolation Row

For all the Rudy Gay > Josh Smith advocates, I just want to point one thing out: I don’t think anybody is saying Josh Smith in a vacuum is a better fit for this team. Just that Rudy Gay is getting paid too much money at 18 mil. If we could sign Smith for 16, its still better than Gay for 18. Gay can’t shoot either and is not the defensive player Smith is.

Also, I don’t think this is the same thing as BG/CV. Paying BG 12 mil was paying a 6 mil guy 12 and paying CV was paying a 3 mil guy 8. Josh Smith is probably a 12-14 mil player. I don’t mind paying 16 mil to someone like that if I’m in a craphole destination like Detroit and I know that I’m probably never landing a superstar player unless I’m a contender again — which I’m very far off from doing.

I’m still upset we didn’t go after Tyreke for 11 mil. I think he’s undervalued. New Orleans is making some moves. Dumars is a moron.

Re: Calderon signing elsewhere — it’s too bad there wasn’t an awesome, college-player-of-the-year, local hero PG that fell into our laps in the draft this year. Oh, wait….

• Jul 6, 201312:00 pm
    by Derek

Using the Amnesty>trading away a lottery pick (this scenario only helps 1 person GORES)

I would like to see Brandon Wright (no more than 3.5 max per year)
    I would like to see Dorell Wright (no more than 4 per year)
    I would like to see Beno Udrih (no more than 3.5 per year)

All on deals 3 years or less

I would do the Gay for Stucky/CV deal (but offering nothing more than that)

I would welcome a Josh Smith deal only at no more than 12 per year (which I think he gets 13-15 from someone else so really I have no expectations of this happening)

I would like to see Mitchell get 20 minutes this year (I hate when we don’t play young guys to get experience)

I think I can stomach Stuckey getting big minutes to start the year (only if it increases his value and is eventually traded during the season for some kind of asset)

I want to give Knight as many minutes at the PG as we can and simply use this year as a PG training year, either he improves or we can all finally admit without doubt that he is a 6th man combo guard as his future niche.

I hate that our GM is a lame duck GM yet could make a move at any moment that would effect this franchise for the next 4 years (and for the next GM, see TORONTO Raptors now)

I want to see lots of Drummond.

I don’t want to trade Monroe, I think his value can only increase from here (either for us or in a better future trade)

I want KCP to start at SG from day one and play big minutes.

I want to keep our top 8 protected 2014 draft pick (Charlotte can have our hopefully non lottery 2015 pick)

I want to see our young guys play hard every night, I can get behind a team that is putting forth the effort (even if they are falling short every night) I want to use the 2013-2014 season as a learning experience for our young core.

I think if Drummond, Monroe, Knight, KCP, Mitchell with big minutes (regardless of the win/lose record, talent is seen around the NBA) then smart 2015 vets can see clearer that we do in fact have talent here and would take us more seriously.

Since Detroit can’t use their location as a free agent selling point, the only chip they really have to play to free agents is we have really nice young talent that is ready to take the next step and that YOU (the 2015 good free agents) can be the missing piece (you have to be able to stroke a guys ego as well)

Those are my wants (aka opinions for solutions) Carry on with the bitching.

Piston fan for life,
    Derek

• Jul 6, 201312:06 pm
      by Bun B

Good points, Derek.

• Jul 6, 20131:18 pm
      by Jens

I like alot of your Points, Derek. The Problem will be, it might be very hard to actually get into bottom 8 next year as like a good dozen of teams is going to tank seriously. There is no doubt you have to do it intentionally next year. And winning more than 23,24 games will not get the Job done. Now, if I am Tom Gores and I look at my Business numbers, look at the ticket sales and look at what I invested so far, tanking just is not an Option.

• Jul 6, 20132:21 pm
      by Jon

I agree with pretty much everything in that post.

• Jul 7, 20132:47 am
      by Dan Feldman

Good comment

• Jul 6, 201312:33 pm
    by rick77

I cant take any of these post serious considering all the name calling of players and calling Dumars a lame as well as idiot. The funny thing is you cant make a player go anywhere he doesn’t want to go. So for all of y’all with insight on the matter please link your sources showing that Joe is not trying.. Now as far as wasting money on scrubs I wouldn’t do it. If I’m going to sign  bunch of trash players why give them more than one year? This is worse than a female waiting for the next hot purse to come out or kids waiting for Black Ops to come out. So much impatience, and the tired innuendo with the name calling and badgering really leaves me clueless as to what a true Piston fan is around here. Let the shit play out…The season has not started yet and moves will be made. Just a matter of time.

• Jul 6, 201312:49 pm
    by Gus

Trade out JJ and Singler and one 2ºRound to Harrison Barnes and other player. It’s a great business.

• Jul 6, 201312:58 pm
    by Eric Dates

You know it really upsets me when you guys say things like the pistons dont have a “true” point guard. WE DO and his name is PEYTON SIVA. Even in his scouting reports it says absolutly nothing about him being a combo guard, It says hes a true, pass first point guard who knows how to run the pick and roll the right way.

• Jul 6, 20131:51 pm
      by Huddy

And his talent took him right to the end of the 2nd round…definitely ready for a starting job!  Can’t shoot not know for passing and court vision…and just as undersize as Burke with a shorter wingspan.

• Jul 6, 20132:14 pm
        by Javell

But wayyy more athletic than burke is… Even though burke blocked his shit in the finals

• Jul 6, 20132:18 pm
        by CityofKlompton

And less of a shot.  Siva will be the pesky, defensive specialist who doesn’t turn the ball over when he is in the game for limited minutes (a la old Lindsey Hunter.). This is his CEILING.  He is not going to start for us.  I love when people are always thinking our second round draft picks are going to step in and be anchors for our team. Maybe if we wanted to win the lottery every year….

• Jul 6, 20132:24 pm
          by Jon

i’d be fine with siva at the point this year… but i do want to win the lottery so that’s the only reason why

• Jul 6, 20133:24 pm
        by Quin

Really? Because I thought his talent took him to an NCAA championship.

• Jul 6, 20133:55 pm
          by Huddy

Oh so he wasn’t picked in the end of the second round?  College success isn’t directly related to the NBA.  He was passed on by just about everyone twice for a reason.  He is a small player with poor shooting skills that was the heart of his college team…kind of like Mateen Cleaves was and look how successful he became.

• Jul 6, 20134:28 pm
          by CityofKlompton

Wow… he led a team to a championship in a league of over 300+ teams of guys who are teenagers or in their early 20′s… impressive? Yes. Does that make you good enough to play in a league with only 30 teams full of guys who play basketball professionally as their career? Chances are slim.

• Jul 6, 201312:59 pm
    by Ozzie-Moto

Being a Piston fan doesn’t mean that you engorge years of mismanagement, No you can’t make a player play where they don’t want to. What you have to do is make it a place where people WANT to play. I think Joe Dumars is probably are great guy. I think he has been in his job WAY to long. Longest in the NBA ? His mindset has some basic flaws on how to put together a team.  Some is based on how he played. Some based on his early success putting a VERY unorthodox team together, A lot of it him just being stubborn and set in his old school ways. In the end we don’t get BALANCED teams.  To many vets To few vets.  To many shooting guards (unfortunately most couldn’t shoot )  No bigs. 2 bigs that need the same space. Combo guards galore  no point guards.  He gets SUCK on players, Over pays them,  Hangs on to them way to long. Keeps thinking that ANYONE can play point guard and that 6’5″ guys are just right for the power forward spot ….  Detroit is not a sexy location for free agents just a fact.  But i am sure players notice the mess with coaches and player over the last half decade and i am sure the noticed that Joe brought in another comfortable old shoe in Mo Cheeks instead of a Bright Young Coach they could have related to.

No Name calling, and with respect JD been over for years just no one done anything about it …

• Jul 6, 20132:27 pm
    by Rueben

no calderon, so now do you think we shouldve drafted burke

• Jul 6, 20133:02 pm
    by RyanK

Josh Smith just agreed to a 4 year deal with Detroit for $56 million

• Jul 6, 20133:07 pm
    by Who Is Us

Reported by hoopsrumor.com, haven’t seen it anywhere else yet. Hope it’s not true…

• Jul 6, 20133:36 pm
      by oats

It’s on ESPN now too.

• Jul 6, 20133:07 pm
    by Jens

YESSSSS! I have to appologize to Joe D :) He finally listened! But that was awfully Close :-)

Now, move on, use Greg Monroe for a fat trade to net s the big fish PG

• Jul 6, 20133:52 pm
      by oats

A Monroe for Rondo swap seems really short sighted to me. Rondo is a player that relies heavily on athleticism and is coming off a major injury. He’s also only signed for 2 years and could leave after this season. Detroit can keep Monroe for the next 5. More than that, he’s also much older than Greg. I think it makes sense for Detroit to try to build it’s window of contention around when Drummond is in his peak. That won’t be for another 5 years or so when Drummond is 24. Monroe will be 27 and Rondo will be 32. Smith will be 32 then as well. Detroit would have it’s window closing when it should be opening. It makes far more sense to me for Detroit to keep good players that are close in age to Drummond. I’m not interested in selling off the future to lose in the playoffs now.

• Jul 6, 20134:03 pm
        by Huddy

I don’t think people realize Drummond’s potential doesn’t mean he will be the best center in the league by age 20.  You are exactly right about the age issue.

• Jul 6, 20134:22 pm
      by Max

No trades.   Leave it alone and be the biggest baddest frontline in the league.

• Jul 6, 20133:15 pm
    by Javell

Yesssssss

• Jul 6, 20133:24 pm
    by Tony J

Report just in that the Pistons signed Josh Smith to a 4 year deal (56 Million/14 million per year)

• Jul 6, 20133:31 pm
    by Crispus

So Josh Smith it is after all. I wonder who we can get with the money and expiring contracts we have left. I would hope for someone who can start at the SG and SF spots, but doesn’t need a ton of minutes. Smith can split time at 3/4 and KCP can get good rookie experience.

Or we could just try to get a point guard.

• Jul 6, 20133:36 pm
    by Josh B

Now that we have Smith, I wonder what the gameplan is to fill out the rest of the roster. Are we going to try and pair him with Monroe and Drummond, or is the plan to bring one of those two as the first big off the bench? I’ve seen the idea floated around about trading Monroe to get a PG, but I’m not high on giving away a good young big. I hope this plays out in the positive for us

• Jul 6, 20133:41 pm
    by Derek

Portland signed Dorell Wright for just 2 years 6 million. I would’ve liked to have him on that contract as well.

Josh Smith got signed for 2 mill per more than I felt good about, but I’m happy. He’s an asset and being only 27 he’s fully tradeable throughout the entire contract (due to his proven production) it takes talent to get talent.

P.S. I love Smith’s durability, and unlike the 09 debacle, he brings that defensive mentality back to the Pistons (we’ve always had much better success when we put defense 1st)

• Jul 6, 20133:48 pm
      by Reaction

We most likely just lost our draft pick in a loaded draft to Charlotte. Great fkin job Dumars. NOW GET OUT

• Jul 6, 20134:20 pm
        by Max

You’ll change your tune when the Pistons start locking people up this year for the first time in years.

• Jul 6, 20134:02 pm
    by Lord Jesus Perm

Smith isn’t a bad player (in fact, I’d argue he’s the best two-way wing guy in the league after James and Paul George), but I don’t know what purpose he serves to this team.

He isn’t a #1 guy, and as such, he isn’t going to lift this team to contending status; hell, it remains to be seen whether or not Detroit can be a playoff team next year. The team’s still riddled with holes: the frontcourt can’t protect the rim (though giving Drummond more minutes and Smith’s laying some PF can mitigate this), the team still lacks a real PG, and still suffers from spacing issues because of a lack of legit 3 point shooters outside of Knight. The areas in which Smith excels–in transition, finishing around the basket, and playing good post D–don’t really address the core problems the Pistons face. He’d be a prefect fit for a “one player away” type team (Golden State, Houston), but for Detroit, I think he’s a good player who’s impact is going to get marginalized, and because of his salary, he’s going to catch hell for Detroit’s not being better in the future unless Joe D works magic and moves some players (looking at you Charlie V and Stuckey).

• Jul 6, 20134:05 pm
    by cali piston fan

I’d take winning over holding on to draft pick that may or may not produce a quality pick. Hold on tight to that looser mentality, the haters are gonna need you.

• Jul 6, 20134:39 pm
      by Lorenzo

Seriously I don’t understand the mentality of wining over potential bounces of ping-pong balls for a mystery product over wining, just seems so pathetic. Maybe I’m just old school… but for me it was always the ‘W.’

• Jul 6, 20135:19 pm
        by Crispus

“You play to win the game”

• Jul 6, 20134:16 pm
    by Max

Haven’t been this happy about the state of the Pistons since before Billups got traded.   We are back.

• Jul 6, 20134:22 pm