Jose Calderon rejects Kings because they’re rebuilding, so about those Pistons…

David Aldridge of NBA.com:

Pistons free agent guard Jose Calderon turned down a multi-year offer to sign in Sacramento. When Calderon said no the Kings pulled the trigger to get Vasquez, the third-year guard who finished second in this year’s Most Improved Player balloting and third (9.0) in the league in assists per game.

The 31-year-old Calderon is looking for a team that’s a little further ahead in the rebuilding process than the Kings, who are just a couple of months removed from the team being acquired by a group led by Vivek Ranadive that kept it in Sacramento.

"It just wasn’t the right timing for him right now," agent Mark Bartlestein said of Calderon and the Kings. "They did a great job. They have a great vision for where they’re going with the franchise. They have a ton of energy. It’s just where Jose is, they’re rebuilding and everything, it just wasn’t the right fit right now."

On the bright side (if you want the Pistons to keep him), Jose Calderon is at least considering rebuilding teams. On the down side, he already rejected one.

We can quibble about whether the Pistons or Kings are further in their rebuilding process, and maybe that will matter to Calderon. But I suspect, if Calderon re-signs with Detroit, money will be the driving factor.

Really, it seems increasingly likely he’s headed elsewhere – though that’s far from a certainty. Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports:

Jose Calderon hasn’t decided on a team yet and will continue negotiating elsewhere, including a return to Detroit, sources tell Y!

• Jul 5, 201311:45 am
    by Vic

With Jose and Iggy the Pistons would be one of the best teams in the league.

Jose/Stuckey/siva
    Kcp /knight
    Iggy/singler/Middleton
    Monroe/Mitchell/jerebko
    DrummOnd/Kravstsov

Perfect blend of young talent and veteran skill, defense, and shooting. Mitchell and Drummond = lob city east

• Jul 5, 201312:30 pm
      by Otis

I hope you’re being ironic. This team looks average at absolute best to me.

• Jul 5, 20131:17 pm

Agreed

• Jul 5, 20133:36 pm
        by Vic

3 plus defenders, Monroe & Calderon runnIng the offense, shooters and athletes coming off the bench, that’s a great team.
        Im talking basketball not name brands. 2 intelligent vets leading the offense and defense  at the most crucial positions, that’s a great team.

Not being irOnic

• Jul 5, 20134:13 pm
          by Otis

Wow, you really weren’t kidding. No, this is a pretty worst-case scenario for the Pistons I think. I’m all about bringing in Iguodala or Smith or someone to legitimize this team for the first time in half a decade, but I’m very leery about bringing Calderon back, not that I get the impression he wants to be here. Calderon only makes sense here if you have a legitimate PGOTF for him to mentor, and if you think we have a PGOTF (Knight) then I just don’t think you and I will ever see eye to eye. Otherwise Calderon is the exact type of player who’s going to keep us in limbo. Win just enough games to ensure that we hand over a mid-lottery pick to Charlotte for that awful Ben Gordon trade.

As for your supporting points, I may as well attack them while I’m at it:

1) KCP isn’t a plus defender. He isn’t a plus anything yet. He’s never suited up for an NBA game. Heck, he’s not even a lock to start ahead of holdovers like Knight, Stuckey, or even English. He’s a question mark. Your team has two plus defenders and two minus defenders, so you can’t really bank on defense being a strength.

2) Monroe running the offense is not a good thing. In a post-apocalyptic wasteland of playmaking it sort of makes sense to have him run the offense with some regularity, but don’t be fooled into thinking this or any team should consider itself lucky to have this guy operating out of the high post. It’s not a very good option in the grand scheme of basketball, and if Jose Calderon is on my team, HE is going to run the offense, not “he and Greg.” Moose operating out of the high post should be a highly situational option for running plays, a very poor substitute for a point guard. His passing should be a secondary or tertiary option, depending on what the defense provides for.

A good example is Joakim Noah, who is a better playmaker than Monroe (better at literally everything than Monroe) but Chicago doesn’t run plays through him all the time. He tends to make that second or third pass as plays develop. Similarly to how Stuckey is better at assisting when he can just improvise as plays develop, rather than with the ball in his hands all the time and over/underthinking everything. Monroe in the high post is a notch better than a pylon (with his clumsy ballhandling skills) and I want my primary playmakers to be mobile. This is another reason I’m not excited about Calderon. I want more mobility out of my PG.

3) You, like many, seem to assume that slotting Monroe in at PF and Drummond at C makes for a Very Good front line. Nobody has seen enough evidence to say what the future holds for those two as a unit, but this unfettered and unrealistic optimism makes me think a lot of people are going to be highly disappointed and spend yet another season making excuses and pointing fingers. If Monroe can’t be a legitimate threat from 15-18 feet, all the shooters in the world aren’t going to keep the floor spread. Team mismanagement and an inexcusably wasted opportunity last season are to blame, but the reality is that these two playing together is just as much of an unknown quantity as KCP.

This team falls so short of “greatness” that I’m a little embarrassed for you, with all due respect. This is a 7-8 seed in the East at absolute best and won’t win a playoff game.

• Jul 5, 201312:53 pm
      by Crispus

I like that lineup as a transition, but we’re going to need to see some improvement from the young guys to build a future.

• Jul 5, 20132:06 pm
      by ksgchild

You pick Stuckey over Bynum on the depth chart? I strongly disagree with that portion of your depth chart assumption.

• Jul 5, 20133:28 pm

A) It is a totally reasonable judgment call. Stuckey would probably be seen as better than Bynum by 2/3 to 3/4 of basketball fans.

B) Bynum probably won’t be on the team next year. Especially if Calderon is re-signed. He is not currently a Piston, he is a free agent.

• Jul 5, 20133:14 pm
      by Vic

• Jul 5, 201311:48 am
    by MichSunsFanatic

I can’t stress enough how important keeping Calderon is to the Pistons.  Nearly everything he does makes them better.  He’s the only talented true point guard they have on their team.  With the bigs they have, his defensive struggles matter less.  Most importantly, he spreads the defense with his proficiency from three,  makes smart decisions with the ball, and is a game closer.  PLEASE resign Calderon…who’s going to fill his shoes?

• Jul 5, 201312:15 pm
      by Scott Free

IDK someone that can play on both ends of the court?

• Jul 5, 201312:27 pm
      by Desolation Row

If Teague can be had at the mid-level, I’d go that route.

• Jul 5, 201312:51 pm

Teague will probably cost more like $8-10M/yr. I would happily offer him the lower end of that.

• Jul 5, 201312:38 pm
      by Otis

For the life of me I’ll never understand how this cat is so damn overrated by some fans around here. I coveted him, and I was as excited as anyone when we got him, but the results just weren’t there. He didn’t look like a good fit at all. He didn’t look comfortable. I want a PG with more mobility for one thing, and a respectable defender would be nice. But the biggest problem is his age, which makes him a placeholder. He’s probably not going to get you to the next level, he’s declining, and you don’t have a PGOTF for him to mentor, not that he seems eager to mentor anyone.

Maybe it’s linked to this bizarre delusion that so many dreamers seem to have that Monroe and Drummond are already an established, dominant front line. They aren’t. They have accomplished nothing and have absolutely everything to prove. Like Calderon, they looked good on paper to me. But seeing them in action, it didn’t look good.

• Jul 5, 201312:42 pm
        by MichSunsFanatic

Ok, so you obviously didn’t watch any games.  He shot the lights out and put up some of the most efficient games the Pistons have seen from a guard in a WHILE.  Good thing shooting and passing aren’t important…you’re obviously not a golfer.

• Jul 5, 20131:06 pm
          by danny

Yeah he had good shooting nights and sets up ppl nice.  The fact that he can not or chooses not to guard a parked car is what concerns me.  He only plays one end of the floor and I can not have that on my team.  We traded him to clear room and he was a professional while he was here.  Thanks for the time here Jose but I wouldn’t want him on the team from here on out.

• Jul 5, 20131:15 pm

“He only plays one end of the floor and I can not have that on my team.”

And yet, I bet you loved Rodman.

• Jul 5, 20131:50 pm
            by joe

Because Rodman equal Win’s! & Championship’s! What do Calderon equal?

• Jul 5, 20131:57 pm

joe,

That’s a different argument entirely. I am addressing the one about only playing half the court.

• Jul 5, 20131:58 pm
            by MrBlockedShot

Who were Rodman’s teammates and who are Calderon’s? For sure you’ll find the same amount of talent…

• Jul 5, 20134:25 pm
          by Otis

Pretty sure I watched all of Jose’s games here before that “forearm injury” sidelined him for the end of the season. Is that a thing, by the way? Or is it code for “I don’t want to play basketball here?” I’m pretty sure Iverson had a forearm injury when the Pistons asked him to go home. So yeah, I don’t think he’s coming back here anyways.

I liked his shooting, and he was efficient for the most part (though not nearly at his career level), but his age and poor defense and mobility issues add up to a mixed bag at best. He’s not the answer. Remember when the knock on Chauncey was that he wasn’t quick enough to guard the younger crop of PGs, and so they shipped him out of town because Joe lost faith that he could take this team to the next level? Well Jose is the same age Chauncey was when he wasn’t good enough, isn’t as good, and the team as a whole is nowhere near what they were back then. So it seems like settling on Jose is just desperation for everyone involved.

If this team was within 100 million miles of contention, I’d be happy to have him at PG.

• Jul 5, 20131:13 pm

It’s true that they showed less than we could hope for. But it was also a small sample size. One of the great things about being good on paper is that even if it doesn’t work out, there is more capacity to trade to fix things.

Look at how things worked for the Lakers last year and how much they want to re-sign Howard. Some things are just worth giving a second chance.

• Jul 5, 201312:09 pm
    by jacob

billups

• Jul 5, 201312:19 pm
    by Hook shot

having to potentially deal with the man-child Cousins would give me pause to sign that contract as well.

• Jul 5, 201312:36 pm

The Pistons should offer to take Bogut or Jefferson off the Warriors’ hands for a draft pick. Open them up to pursue Howard (which would be awesomely fun to watch just as a basketball fan in general).

Also, it would alleviate the whole they-have-to-spend-the-money-somehow chorus.

For those of you in love with expiring contracts, the Pistons would then have one. Especially if they got Bogut. He isn’t a great fit here, but he is a potentially desirable asset for some contender if they end up short a big man. Jefferson would be about as useful as Maggette was, which is to say, not at all.

• Jul 5, 201312:43 pm
      by Otis

So essentially you’re canceling out the Ben Gordon trade by tying up that cap space but recouping a much, much worse pick. I mean, as a plan F it’s not the worst thing you could do to salvage a COMPLETE and total disaster of a summer. And if would only be redeemable if you move that guy at the deadline for another pick or a prospect. But that should pretty much signal the end of Joe Dumars. So when I think of it that way, it sounds ok by me.

• Jul 5, 20131:25 pm

In conjunction with the BG trade, it hurts. But that trade has happened. We can’t undo it. Might as well make the most of the situation. Might even be able to convince GS to give up two picks, but I doubt it.

Obviously, i would rather sign good players to reasonable contracts. But if that can’t be done, I’d like to get something out of the cap space.

• Jul 5, 20131:21 pm
      by MongoSlade86

Thats probably our best bet since in order to get a big name free agent we have to be the Houston Rockets of the East.

• Jul 5, 201312:45 pm
    by David

So many angles to this, I don’t deny Calderon can play better on the defensive end, but he is a distributor and he can shoot the 3 ball. I still think Detroit should go after Rondo, Calderon would be good coming off the bench in Detroit and move Knight to the 2 spot.

• Jul 5, 20131:36 pm
    by Desolation Row

Tony Allen signed a $20 million / 4 year contract. New Orleans just landed Tyreke Evans. Why is the only buzz with the Pistons around an overrated max-deal guy (Rudy Gay)?

Question: if we added both Iggy and Smith, would that not be a good enough team to take advantage of the skill-set they each offer? Could we not sell it to both guys as a poor-man’s version (albeit not in those terms) of the LeBron/Wade teamup? If the Pistons land those guys and make a deal for a solid PG who can shoot (or just re-sign Calderon already), this rotation suddenly looks dangerous:

Calderon/Knight/dealt-for PG/Stuckey
    Iguodola/Knight/Stuckey/KCP
    Smith/Iguodola/KCP/Singler/Jonas
    Monroe/Smith/Jonas/CV(barf)
    Drummond/Monroe/Kravstov

Stuckey could still have value off the bench. CV could have value as an expiring contract before the trade deadline. KCP would learn from the vets and be pushed to earn playing time. Knight, Singler, KCP could all rotate in as needed with Iggy and Smith shuffling into different positions accordingly (i.e. frontcourt lineups of Monroe/Smith/Iguodola) when we need offense to spread the floor. The starting lineup immediately becomes one of the best defensive lineups in the league.

Otherwise, I think Dumars is just waiting to gain leverage on guys like Brewer to sign them for cheap and keep cap space/flexibility. This will happen as the summer prolongs and those guys don’t get snatched up. I’m just afraid the dominoes fall fast after Dwight makes his decision and we’re left with an anaemic roster to start the season. Unless Dumars is holding cap space for trades with teams that desperately need to get beneath the luxury tax under the new CBA.

• Jul 5, 20132:00 pm

I don’t think they have enough money for Smoove, Iggy, and Calderon.

• Jul 5, 20132:01 pm
    by MrBlockedShot

Calderon can play better deffensively for sure, but I can live with it if he only plays efficient offense. With Drummond in the paint along with Monroe and an above-average deffensive SF his defense won’t be so exposed as it was last year.

• Jul 5, 20133:55 pm
    by Brandon Knight

All these people who are saying that our team is better with him are absolutely WRONG! Our team got worse after we traded for him! Last season every single point guard he played against shitted on him. Detroit basketball is all about defense and Calderon can’t defend. So no thank you we don’t need him.

• Jul 5, 20134:53 pm

I would rather Detroit basketball be about winning than about defense.

And your point about the team doing worse post-trade has been addressed ad nauseum. It coincided with Drummond’s injury. Also, the Pistons did give up Prince, who’s not great, but he does help somewhat.

• Jul 5, 20134:57 pm

I might as well point out that before getting Knight, the Pistons were being outscored by 3.6 ppg. After getting him, they were being outscored by 4.8 ppg. That’s significantly worse.

• Jul 5, 20138:26 pm
        by Brandon Knight

You mean getting him back from the injury? Or after drafting him?

• Jul 6, 20131:20 am

The year before and after drafting him.

I don’t think we can draw any conclusions from these facts. I’m just saying that it is equally relevant to the basis for your dismissal of Calderon.

• Jul 5, 20134:44 pm
    by piro4pistons

Iguodala is off the table.  For those of you who where interested in signing him.  He ended out signing with the Warriors.

• Jul 5, 20135:43 pm
      by jamesjones_det

Speaking of that… I feel like we are seeing a repeat of the last 3 years, some teams making some nice moves for key pieces while Joe just sits and twittles his thumbs…

• Jul 5, 20135:53 pm
        by jamesjones_det

errr… twittles should be twiddles…

• Jul 5, 20135:36 pm
    by jamesjones_det

There is no “quibble” on where the Pistons and Kings are in their rebuilding process, they are in the same boot at the same time.  Stockpiled young over hyped talent that no FA wants to go to, the Kings just happen to play in a tougher conference.  If Calderon rejected the Kings then there is a strong chance the Pistons are in the same league as far as he is concerned.

• Jul 5, 20139:51 pm
      by jamesjones_det

And just like that Calderon has singed with Dallas…

• Jul 5, 201310:12 pm
    by Vince

He signed with the Mavs. I am crushed.

• Jul 6, 201312:40 am
    by MongoSlade86

I felt like they would grab him up. damn you Calderon after we took you in and feed you!!!

• Jul 6, 20135:42 am
    by Robb

All the good FA’s are gone and Pistons got nobody…Very disappointed!!

I guess its another lottery pick for next year…

• Jul 6, 20133:36 pm
      by jamesjones_det

Unless they finish 9th or higher then the pick goes to Charlotte…