Joe Dumars shows he’s still got it (whatever ‘it’ is) by signing Josh Smith

Joe Dumars wanted Josh Smith, and he got Josh Smith.

Whatever you think about Smith’s abilities or how they fit with Andre Drummond and Greg Monroe in a supersized frontcourt, you have to respect Dumars’ ability to leave his comfort zone to land the free agent he coveted most.

The three biggest contracts Dumars has ever given another team’s free agent – Chauncey Billups, Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva – were agreed to July 1, the first day free agents can negotiate with other teams. For better or worse, Dumars has chosen his players and then spent what it took to get them.

This year wasn’t so simple.

The Pistons made Josh Smith their No. 1 target, waited out a dalliance between Smith and Dwight Howard, saw teams that missed on Howard dive headfirst into the Smith mix and then still signed him. This is not how Dumars usually operates, but just as he’s spoken of appreciating lengthier coaching searches under Tom Gores, perhaps Dumars has learned how to adapt to a slow courting process in free agency.

But Dumars’ waiting came with a price. Whether it’s $54 million or $56 million for four years, Smith’s contract will be the largest in terms annual salary ever handed out by the Pistons.

The last time Dumars gave out such large contracts in terms of total dollars, Billups and Rasheed Wallace, two players already on the team, were on the receiving end. Dumars saw those players daily, and though Wallace was just in Detroit for a partial season before re-signing, that included a long play run. Dumars’ was also in position to give a larger contract to another player he saw daily, Ben Wallace, but het let Wallace flee to Chicago for $60 million over four years.

Does Dumars understand Smith as well?

This is The Summer of Truth for Dumars, his job seemingly on the line unless the Pistons make the playoffs next season. Dumars traded a potentially valuable draft pick to the Bobcats just to get cap room a season sooner, and he needed to use that available money to justify freeing it at such a high cost.

Maybe Smith is exactly the player Dumars wants. Maybe Dumars and Maurice Cheeks have devised a defensive plan that makes Smith and Drummond cover for Monroe’s deficiencies. Maybe they’ve assembled an offensive system that allows Smith’s and Monroe’s passing ability to compensate for the lack of perimeter shooting. Maybe they’ve mapped out a rotation that limits the number of minutes Monroe, Drummond and Smith will play together. Maybe Cheeks knows how to soothe the mercurial Smith. Maybe more moves are lined up to make this work.

Or maybe Smith was just there.

After Smith, who is the best remaining unrestricted free agent capable of playing a perimeter position? Andrei Kirilenko? Monta Ellis? For the Pistons, and especially Dumars, it was Smith or smithereens.

This move reeks of desperation.

It might turn out well – Smith is a very talented player with some glaring flaws – because Smith offers the best opportunity for the Pistons to make the playoffs, which is exactly what Dumars need. The Pistons didn’t have a playoff team unless they significantly upgraded the roster, and Smith does that. The odds still might be low – especially if Brandon Knight is the starting point guard whose job is to run an offense that lacks floor spacing – but they’re better with Smith than without him.

Free agency isn’t just about identifying the players you want, but also actually getting the players you want. Dumars and Gores got the player they wanted, the player they believe can best help complete their plan.

It’s just the wrong plan.

I would have preferred the Pistons take a more patient approach – accepting bad contracts in exchange for draft picks (as the Jazz did in their trade with the Warriors), remaining bad for one more season and keeping their draft pick rather than sending it Charlotte in a loaded 2014 draft. Then, next summer, use the cap space to upgrade talent around a team with promising players like Drummond, Monroe, Brandon Knight, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and the 2014 first-round pick.

Dumars can’t afford to go that route, so he overpaid for Smith. Overpaying is often necessary for contending teams to keep their window open, but the Pistons aren’t contending for anything other than a first-round loss. Somehow, that result would seem to satisfy the Pistons’ powers that be.

That’s not completely Dumars’ fault. Gores is demanding a postseason berth sooner than later, and Dumars has little choice but to try to increase those odds.

Perhaps, Smith’s talent outweighs the fit concerns, the Pistons make the playoffs and Dumars bides enough time to balance the roster. That’s Dumars’ best-case scenario. Worst case, the Pistons’ next general manager inherits a team that just missed the playoffs, doesn’t have its first-round pick and is burdened by Smith’s huge contract.

Signing Smith is an expensive gamble with only modest upside.

In The Summer of Truth, we’ve learned the truth about the Pistons. They’re trying to win now, which is commendable yet shortsighted, but at least they’re headed in their chosen direction as quickly as possible

• Jul 7, 20137:36 am
    by Josh

I’m sorry. How does trading for Rondo help our spacing problem? The guy is a stud, but he can’t shoot from outside either. You’d still have paint packing problems.

• Jul 7, 20137:51 am
    by Eric

Dan, why are you being so negative.  What did you want the Pistons to do? Sign some mid level free agents to one year deals to try and be huge players next offseason, stars don’t want to come to Detroit and I am surprised they got Smith.  Or did you want them to tank/stink this year and hope they get a high draft pick next year.  At some point you need to have some veteran players who know how to play and play defense at a high level.

• Jul 7, 201312:25 pm

“stars don’t want to come to Detroit”

And you accuse Dan of being negative.

• Jul 7, 20133:12 pm
        by Max

It’s called being a realist.   Look at the history of the team and league.   And stars pretty much have always only wanted to go to California, New York, Florida, Chicago, Boston and Houston.   Nothing wrong with acknowledging reality.

• Jul 7, 20138:54 pm

I agree. But then why call Dan negative? He just acknowledges a lot of reality.

• Jul 7, 201310:18 pm
            by Ryan Kelly

Read my post.  Which one of those free agents do you think would come here?   the only ones that would are old.  it’s that simple.   If you wanna argue something argue what players we should have made a play for instead of smith.  I would have rather had milsap and mayo.  Than josh smith alone.   That’s something to argue about.  Not tanking or saving it for next year.  That’s foolish.

• Jul 8, 20139:11 am

I’m not disagreeing. I’m all for acknowledging the negatives and positives of a situation. But it makes no sense to do so and then bash someone else for doing the same. I was pointing out the hypocrisy, not some errant statement.

Although, to be fair, if Detroit had a great core with cap space to become a top 4 team in the league with the signing of a superstar, I do believe the superstar would very much consider becoming a Piston. Most teams don’t have a shot at superstars because they want to contend, and only a few teams do so.

• Jul 7, 20138:15 am
    by Terrell

I believe the signing of Josh Smith is leading to the trade of Greg Monroe. Somehow I think that Joe had a trade in place for my role and Rondo but he was patiently waiting on Josh Smith to make up his mind. If Josh Smith would have signed anywhere else Monroe would still be considered to Joe as our future. However Smith fits better with Andre so I believe the trade will happen within a few days. I do not believe that the small for position will be ran by Josh Smith because we still have two players and Chris Middleton and Kyle Singler that we still like. This will be a better defensive team whether or not Monroe is a part of it. There is not enough room for nor minutes on the court for 3 All Star caliber big man. So the only obvious thing to do is to trade Greg or Andre. But I would prefer them to trade Greg because his contract is up after next year he’s due for a big payday. We also have options like trading for Harrison Barnes or rudy Gay.

• Jul 7, 20139:17 am
    by Bun B

Dan, I agree with most of your points here. I agree that this will not help us win a championship and perhaps set that pursuit back by 5 years for another rebuilding effort. This move is extremely shortsighted. A lot remains to be seen about the fit and how he’s used on the team. On the other hand, I don’t think it’s an untradeable contract. He’s overpaid by a couple million but I think we just got an okay asset. This won’t be like Gordon or Villanueva who were undtradeable within a month of their first season here. I think the team’s ceiling (probably peaking two seaons from now) is a 5 or 6 seed and a surprise first round win. At the same time, I’ll allow myself to get excited about the possibility this is just the first step and at the very least we have another fun to watch player on our team. This season will at least be more fun than the last five.

• Jul 7, 20139:48 am
    by Drew

Are we going to change our name to the Detroit Bucks? When are we going to get off the freaking treadmill!! Fire Dumars, serioulsy tank just for one year, and sign a superstar… ruined that plan. Thanks Joe D. Now Drummond is going to come off the bench, most likely being angry at not having starter minutes.

• Jul 7, 201310:41 am

If he wants to start, he should just have to beat out Monroe for the starting job.

• Jul 7, 201311:00 am
      by Eric

Superstars are not going to sign with Detroit, so lets forget you mentioned that.  I would assume a starting lineup of Knight-Pope-Smith-Monroe-Drummond.  Also Joe Dumars may be in the works for a trade.  They could try and trade for Rudy Gay now by including Monroe as part of the package.

• Jul 7, 201312:31 pm

Holy crap!

If they traded Monroe for Gay, that would be the stupidest trade the Pistons ever made. Far beyond Afflalo for nothing.

It would be possibly the second stupidest move in Pistons history after taking Marvin Barnes over Moses Malone. Darko was less stupid because he looked at the time like an incredible prospect.

• Jul 7, 201311:04 am
      by Tony J

Why do most of you insist on tanking. Tanking can only get you so far… look at Charlotte… Still waiting on that #1 pick

• Jul 7, 201312:11 pm
        by Dan Feldman

Tanking doesn’t guarantee success, but it’s extremely rare to achieve success without it being set up through the lottery.

• Jul 7, 201311:38 am
      by Russell C

(personal attack removed)

• Jul 7, 201310:08 am
    by Paul Williams

Since the deal isn’t actually signed yet, I’d like to see Joe work a sign-and-trade that would bring Jeff Teague along with Smith.

• Jul 7, 201310:17 am
    by Macomb county

We should trade for the best point guard we can get for CV/stuckey.  I can’t believesome of you are talking about trading monroe. He’s still getting better and we have the best front court in the nba now, why would we trade him

• Jul 7, 201311:01 am
      by jamesjones_det

I do agree trading Monroe for guards at this point would be dumb unless it’s a stud (that’s not Rondo people).  However if his D doesn’t get any better this year I would be for swapping him out with another big man.

• Jul 7, 201311:26 am
      by Paul Williams

I think Teague is the best we can hope for at this point. He was much improved last year, is still very young , and would provide stability at PG for years to come. I don’t know if Atlanta would take Stuckey/CV for Teague straight up, but there’s no harm in trying. I see a big year ahead for Teague, something like Jrue Holiday had last year in Philly. If we got him, Knight could become the first guard off the bench, play mostly against the other teams’ reserves, and thrive as the combo guard we know he is. IMHO, this makes too much sense not to happen.

• Jul 7, 201311:33 am
      by Dan Feldman

Ben Gordon?

• Jul 7, 201310:33 am
    by Desolation Row

I normally agree with Dan and Patrick, but I have to say I think they are wrong on this one. Smith at $14 mil / year was a solid signing. First off, it’s roughly 4 mil less than what we would have signed Gay for — no, it’s not a great argument for it but it lends some context to what Smith’s value is.

Secondly, all the weaknesses to Smith’s fit with the Pistons point to how he would play into a halfcourt offense. Nowhere else have I read about how he harms them on the defensive side of the ball, which is 50% of the game. He is immediately our best defensive player, bar none. This is not the BG signing all over again. Also, having an elite defensive and rebounding frontcourt will create transition opportunities. Having solid passers like Monroe and Smith and a freakish athlete in Drummond at center will make this a lethal fastbreak team. Perhaps we’ll struggle in the halfcourt when Monroe, Drummond, and Smith are all on the court at the same time, but the upgrade on literally every other part of the game will do wonders for this team.

Another way to look at it: Dumars essentially traded a first round pick and Ben Gordon for Josh Smith.

Also, many guys on this roster have been underperforming, but I think some of it might be out of genuine disinterest or lack of motivation. Maybe Stuckey is a player who does better on a winning team than a team destined for the lottery. Perhaps Jonas feels more motivated to dive for loose balls when he has a team around him that believes it can win games. Winning cures problems and losing exposes them. No move was ever going to lift this team above Miami, Indy, or Chicago. If we end up somewhere around the Nets or Knicks and get knocked out of the first round, that’d be a huge upgrade to relevance for a young team like this. Moreover, don’t underestimate the impact of matchup problems in the NBA and especially in the playoffs. This lineup will be a matchup nightmare for small ball teams. I’m drooling.

Smith will be 31 years old at the end of his (worst case scenario: very tradeable) contract. We still have cap room to upgrade this roster more. Passing on Burke will haunt Dumars like passing on Carmelo and Wade did. The Mo Cheeks hiring was a mistake. There were definitely some mistakes made this offseason. Signing Smith was not one of them, and it will likely counter many of the mistakes Dumars did make this summer.

• Jul 7, 201311:55 am
      by Dan Feldman

Well, Patrick didn’t write this. I did.

I don’t think comparing it what would have been another bad move, accepting Gay’s contract without a sweetener, says much at all.

I too am excited by Smith’s defense, and I hope that leads to a lot of fastbreaks. But the Pistons haven’t played up-tempo in quite some time, and more often than not, Maurice Cheeks’ teams have had a slow pace.

No, Dumars traded a first-round pick, Ben Gordon and whomever the Pistons could have signed next season for Josh Smith and Corey Maggette. It’s not like this cap space was never coming. It just would have arrived a year later.

An issue

I think Smith will remain tradeable, but the worst-case scenario is more dire than that. Gordon and Villanueva were both younger when they signed.

To me the question is simple: Does Smith significantly decrease the Pistons’ odds of finishing with the 9-14 pick?

• Jul 7, 20137:01 pm
        by Desolation Row

Yes, I really do think Smith significantly decreases the Pistons’ odds of finishing with the 9-14 pick. I doubt this team was bad enough to slip below 9. My point is, I don’t think the Smith fit is as much of a problem as the doubters think it is, for the reasons outlined above. We can agree to disagree; halfcourt offense is obviously very important and I don’t doubt there will be some adjustment / Mo Cheeks may not be competent enough to coach around that lineup deficiency.

But in an era that the league is going small, this team as-is will create serious matchup problems for opponents. I think the Pistons are just one move away from being a lock for the playoffs this season. Perhaps it’s just the homer in me or I’m overvaluing Smith’s defense / defense overall in the NBA, but I think this makes us a top-tier defensive team which should translate into a 5-8 seed in the playoffs. I’m all in on this one.

One more thing: I don’t think this is BG or CV all over again. Both those guys were mid-level players that Dumars jumped on prematurely to sign to inflated contracts. Did we overpay for Smith? Maybe. But I’d rather overpay to have a $11-12 mil guy at $14 per year than I’d have a $5 mil guy at $8 mil.

• Jul 7, 20137:03 pm
          by Desolation Row

Oh, and sorry Patrick!

• Jul 7, 201310:59 am
    by Tony J

I hear a lot of people complaining about how we will miss out on the 2014 draft class. I honestly believe people overvalue next years draft just like they do every yer. Last year people were stating that the 2013 draft will be good. People were picking Shabazz as the top pick etc. etc. but we see how that all turned out. At the end of the day you never know which draft will actually be stacked and which on will be weak until the college basketball season starts and people start declaring for the draft. Please just stop complaining about next years SUPPOSED stacked draft.

• Jul 7, 201312:00 pm
      by Dan Feldman

Even if it’s an average draft, a lottery pick has a lot of value for a rebuilding team like the Pistons.

• Jul 7, 20132:00 pm
      by jamesjones_det

Agreed, the draft is always a complete crap shoot.  Could be deep could be weak, but even in the weakest draft there are studs no one thought of and in the strongest massive duds.

Do you need a good draft strategy as part of your rebuilding process?  Definitely, do you rebuild completely from the draft?  Absolutely not.  Look at the teams that draft the most, they are often the worst time and time again.  You need balance, in age, player type, how you acquire that talent, etc…  Too many kids play NBA 2K and think real life is that easy and every draft pick can turn into MJ or The Dream.

• Jul 7, 201311:37 am
    by Russell C

how long is the team supposed to keep hoping to land that stud draft pick or free agent. meanwhile  the team continues to suck and play in a half empty arena. at least now good teams wont automatically look at the pistons as an easy victory. time to stop waiting until next year. that’s loser talk. plus you know that if Boston and LA don’t make the playoffs they will be number 1 and 2 in the lottery next year with major cap space.

• Jul 7, 201312:45 pm

If Boston trades Rondo, maybe. LA may not make the playoffs, but they definitely won’t be near the bottom of the standings.

• Jul 7, 20133:58 pm
        by Russell C

I don’t think that matters, Chicago got D Rose at number 1 when they didn’t have the worst record. I can see LA getting the first pick and choosing Wiggins and having the 30 to 45 mil in cap space next year for Lebron and whomever else. Same for Boston

• Jul 8, 20139:13 am

Sure, it’s possible. But it’s highly unlikely. And it’s just as likely for any other team to do that. Past championships do not factor into lottery odds.

• Jul 8, 20139:24 pm
            by Max

I don’t think you realize Tarsier but he is implying that the lottery is a conspiracy and that the league would hand LA and BO the picks.   Not saying I agree.  If so why did BO have better odds than SA to get Duncan?

• Jul 7, 201311:51 am
    by Lord Jesus Perm

If you’re a Pistons fan, I don’t see why Rudy Gay would be on your wish list. A high usage, inefficient scorer that doesn’t play D is the last thing Detroit needs. The expiring deals of Charlie V and Stuckey would be better suited for someone else.

• Jul 7, 201311:53 am
    by T Casey

I don’t think the deal is terrible. It’s a little bit high, but not terribly high imo. If we can get good development out of Monroe, Drummond, Knight, etc., and some solid play from the rookie, this’ll be a very solid team. I think drafting a potential floor general like Trey Burke would’ve gone a long way here, but so long as we’ve got a solid enough offensive gameplan, the team should be fine.

• Jul 7, 201312:33 pm
    by danny

Looks like Joe is building a straight defensive team.  I like that, like I said before you can have smith play every min when moose or drummond is on the bench.  So you will always have smith and monroe or smith and drummond.  Depending on the game we can shift them for more scoring or defense .  I love this signing now hopefully we can get him to play more effectivey.  Welcome to the D!

• Jul 7, 20131:03 pm
    by Ryan Kelly

Lol Dan.   Total waste this year right?   Which superstar should be waiting on next year?   Lets go through another dreadful season; where we’d probably finish outside of top 8 anyway, so don’t get elite draft prospect; sorry no wiggins no parker.   Then that awesome cap space we held for one more year would be spent on who??????   Lebron lol.  Wade; Paul George; Kobe Bryant; Carmelo. Danny granger; Bosh, Deng; Tim Duncan; THOSE ARE THE FREE AGENTS NEXT YEAR.  now who are we pulling to Detroit?   If you can’t answer it then your plan is even dumber then joe d’s.

• Jul 7, 20132:10 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

exactly….
      some of the comments I have read are borderline retarded

• Jul 7, 20133:21 pm
      by Dan Feldman

It’s more about the draft pick than the free agents.

• Jul 7, 20135:59 pm
        by Jamarco McNutt

So wait.  You wanna gamble on having a terrible season in order to get a star in the draft???  Thats what kids think of doing.  Amateurish attitude.   Yeah lets tank the season.  LOL.  That plan sounds utterly ridiculous and half retarded.  Or fully.

• Jul 7, 20139:18 pm

It worked terribly for the Spurs in drafting Duncan, the Cavs in drafting James, the Sonics in drafting Durant, etc.

• Jul 7, 20139:32 pm
            by Ryan Kelly

ok genius.   They were number one picks.   Do you people even think????    This year we sucked and got the 8 th pick.   Next year you would expect a better Drummond.   Better Monroe.   Better knight.   And no maxiell.     You are designing a rebuilding plan based on the HOPE you have a bad enough record to get a top 5 pick essentially.   And if somehow other teams out stink you and you end up at 7-8-9 you are totally f’d.   But there’s free agency.  Oh wait no there’s not cause as I already showed you those free agents ain’t coming here.  If that’s your rebuilding plan you need to learn more about the game of basketball.  It’s plain stupid.

• Jul 8, 20139:17 am

Durant was not a number one pick.

More to the point, yes, everyone has long acknowledged that Dumars totally messed up the rebuild. Every year he thought the Pistons could still make the playoffs. He should have properly blown it all up. At this point, I’m not against the Smith signing because I think it made the most of a crappy spot that Dumars put himself in.

“I already showed you those free agents ain’t coming here”

How exactly did you show this? I agree that it’s unlikely, but did you offer some reason to make anyone believe it’s impossible?

• Jul 8, 20132:30 am
          by Dan Feldman

You want to gamble on having a winning season when falling just short means not only missing the playoffs, but losing a valuable draft pick, too. That’s a great plan?

• Jul 7, 20131:13 pm
    by Ryan Kelly

Oh yeah forgot about the old men dirk nowitzki, big zach, and Paul pierce.   Hahaha.  You wanna save money for them???    Or the others above.  It’s funny.   The people complainin the most have an even more ridiculous plan the. Joe d.

• Jul 7, 20131:18 pm
    by CommonCents

The move to sign Smith is a good move and certainly sould not be the last move Dumars makes from now until next Summer.
    Smith reminds me of a smaller Rasheed with his abilities down-low and even in jump shots. His D ability is also among the best in the league for SF/PF.
    Being the best player for the Pistons, Smith would finally get the focused responsibility of owning a leadership role and given the type die-hard fans the Pistons have, it should help to exalt his overall game.
    He’s roughly the same age as LeBron and his contract expires when he turns 31, and at that age he would still be a top PF not to mention a highly tradable commodity if Dumars so chooses.
    This puts the team at the last quad tier of the playoff hunt and with a solid young bench, they might be able to pull off an upset first round win.
    My only gripe is not so much about Smith but whether or not his game would develop if not for an equally skillful PG to assist him.
    I’m not totally sold on Knight being our floor general so I suppose Joe D is still looking to fill the pieces.
    Being a Piston fan from Boston, I can tell you that the sports buzz here is whether or not Rondo, who had run-ins with Doc Rivers can swallow taking cues from an unproven college coach in Brad Stevens.
    Remember, Rondo was on the trading block a few years ago before his first contract expired so seeing as Boston is looking toward rebuilding, might make Rondo an appealing choice.
    I realize this is all hypotethical, but a solid, hard working PG with a chip on his shoulder as well as championship pedigree could be all the Pistons need to climb to the top in the East.
    Certainly Joe D has more up his sleeve. I believe it.

• Jul 7, 20132:11 pm
    by frankie d

Hate bringing smith onto the team for a number of reasons.
    But it is what it is so i think pistons fans have to imagine someway that it might work.   Maybe joe is thinking of this…
    Monroe and smith start at the 4 and 5.  Smith  compliments monroe in many of the ways drummond does.
    drummond continues to come off the bench to anchor a second unit that runs and guns and includes will bynum and tony mitchell and shooters like middleton and/or english.
    Joe may have concerns about drummonds ability to play more than 28-30 minutes a game.  The plan may be to only feature a bull elephant lineup with drummond and monroe and smith for short periods during games.
    Again, nit a fan of the move but maybe joe  is thinking of building a strong second unit and salivating at the thought mitchell – a baby josh smith in good and bad ways – and drummond banging diwn low and dunking on fast breaks.

• Jul 7, 20133:25 pm
    by Jon

Sure would be nice if we can grab Brandon Jennings from the Bucks!  I like Rondo too, but I’d like Brandon more.  That kid is so hungry for some championships.  With him in our lineup and no “who’s the point guard drama”, I think we could finally make something of ourselves again.  KCP is coming into the league and is going to light up the score board.  I remember watching him in college and thinking this dude is lights out way before anyone had him on their radar so I’m happy we got him.  Next year actually might be fun to watch.  Especially with Drummond having a year under his belt.

Jennings
    KCP
    Smith
    Monroe
    Drummond

• Jul 7, 20133:26 pm
    by Jon

And we should trade Rodney and Knight and amnesty Charlie V.  and prepare for next year.  Sad to say, but somebody might be traded to bring in a star.

• Jul 7, 20133:33 pm
    by cali piston fan

Watching Trey Burke at summer league 1 for 11 looks to have hard time scoring. He has dropped some nice dimes though.

• Jul 7, 20134:36 pm
    by trace

What just about everyone seems to forget ius that BKnight is still a young player, a work in progress. He can and will improve. It may not be next year. it seems to me, unless you are a very elite young player, it takes 3-4 years to figure out the speed and versatility of most NBA defenses. Not trying to make excuses for the kid, but most of these comments talk like he’s a fully formed 8-year player who has reached his ceiling.

• Jul 7, 20135:24 pm
    by Jay wiz

i really like this pick up. Having 3 solid big guys is a luxury. With many teams moving to small ball line ups this gives us size to offset that. Plus, Drummond did have troubles with getting quick fouls so he needs time to work on that. Don’t be quick to boot Moose off the team. Ultimately tho, a trade will come. Dumars is heading back to our defensive roots. This is the first year in a while I’m excited for the start of the season. Go Pistons!