Brandon Knight so strong, he needed a bigger jersey; Andre Drummond’s body fat drops to five percent

These updates are a bit old, but Brandon Knight didn’t play in summer league, and though Drummond did, that’s still not the best environment for assessing players. So, I won’t pass up the opportunity to share these interesting developments.

Keith Langlois of Pistons.com:

BK7 working out before Pistons presser to introduce 3 rooks. Noticeably thicker in chest, arms. They had to give him bigger practice jersey

Vince Ellis of Pistons.com:

Drummond looks in great shape. Hearing he is down to 5 percent body fat. Appears to have attacked off-season program.

I’m taking the MGoBlog approach to judging offseason body changes – “see who’s grown to massive size and who is lean destructive sinew because All Weight Changes Are Positive – and just assuming Knight and Drummond are headed straight to the All-Star game.

A stronger Knight? Drool.

A trimmer Drummond? Double drool.

• Jul 17, 20139:48 am
    by MrShourite

Same thing was said about Knoght last year. Was this from last year? Lol

• Jul 17, 20132:15 pm
      by ffz

but last year after they said he gained about 13lbs of muscle or so you could see the improved muscle tone on him in the summer league easily so yeah they were right, and its great he needs a bigger jersey so now he wont be pushed around as easily by physical guards or nikola pekovic lol

• Jul 17, 201310:04 am
    by @GPMasters

No such update is complete without a CV-on-the-scales picture. Feeling let down

• Jul 17, 201310:06 am
    by MIKEYDE248

We’ll see if this improves anything on the court.  Last year we were reading articles about CV doing the boxing training, so I couldn’t wait to see how that was going to effect his playing.  We all saw how much good that did.

• Jul 17, 201310:25 am
      by cr29

Not to mention the annual “Jason Maxiell has lost a bunch of weight” and “Austin Daye was turning heads at some basketball camp” Langlois pieces. I miss those guys.

• Jul 17, 201310:21 am
    by ryan

In somewhat related news I’m 6 foot nothing and 207 lbs. This is not a good thing.

• Jul 17, 201310:24 am
    by DG

That’s great news.  Especially about Drummond because if he can go hard for longer stretches, it means nothing but trouble for the rest of the league!  Knight ought to be able to out physical a lot of point guards.

Now about those turnovers and free throws.  Hopefully they’re working on those too.

• Jul 17, 201310:31 am
    by Trent

I still believe in BK. He works so hard and is a natural talent he just hasn’t had the tools around him to grow, but now he does! A PG head coach and a true veteran champ as a mentor. Look out all you haters!

• Jul 17, 201311:01 am

I don’t think anyone hates Knight. And no Pistons fans are rooting for him to fail. Most of us are just rational enough to realize that so far, he has not been a very good player.

• Jul 17, 201312:49 pm
        by hirobeats

You and I have well meaning, logical and fair exchanges on here sometimes. That being said… bro… let’s keep it real, there are definitely some people who are rooting for that young man to fail. Or at the very least, their are some people whose comments strongly imply rooting for failure…

• Jul 17, 20132:25 pm

Do you really think so. Heck, I have no appreciation whatsoever for CV, have repeatedly made my case that there was no excuse for him to not be amnestied, and am super annoyed that it didn’t happen.

But I’m a Pistons fan and CV is a Piston. So I will root for him to be the best player he could possibly be for this season. I have a hard time seeing many Pistons fans being more negative about Knight than I am about Charlie.

• Jul 17, 201312:53 pm
        by Otis

Yes. And furthermore, he doesn’t really appear to have much upside at either guard position. He just plain doesn’t have the size to play SG, and yet I think that’s his better position because I’d rather give up a few inches if the skill set is there than have the entire offense flounder under a PG who’s completely lost and outmatched.

But, of course, the best case scenario is if he’s somebody else’s problem. Trade Knight and Monroe for the best possible player to complement Drummond and Smith and suddenly this team has a core worth getting excited about.

• Jul 17, 20132:20 pm

That depends entirely on how much value other teams ascribe Knight. Knight isn’t a great player, but his skill set is a perfect fit in Detroit right now. So I would hesitate to trade him unless another team really overvalues him.

If including Knight will convince Minny to give up Love for Monroe, by all means pull the trigger. But don’t trade him for next to nothing. He can be an excellent backup for the Pistons.

• Jul 18, 20134:30 pm
            by Max

I wouldn’t make that deal.   I don’t like trading young, healthy players for a player who misses half of every season.   It’s a good way to wind up with absolutely nothing.   Monroe should only be traded for: LeBron, Durant, Paul, Lawson or Lillard.   Wall and Irving are in the category of missing half of every season.   Basically, this is all to say that Monroe should not be traded.

• Jul 17, 201310:59 am
    by RyanK

Last year BK7 was mastering the point guard position…sweat dripping on the broom stick he was dribbling under.  Lets hope this year’s off-season results show in the regular season…it didn’t last year.

Drummond was noticeably out of breath at summer league at times.   His size is always going to cause him conditioning issues.  Big men who are out of breath seem to get into foul trouble easily.

• Jul 18, 20134:32 pm
      by Max

Drummond and getting into foul trouble shouldn’t be a problem as long as the Pistons keep Monroe and Smith.   If he gets into foul trouble, sub him out and play Smith at the four.   Not a big issue unless Drummond fouls out in under 25 minutes.   I would tell the trio in general to play all out and not worry about foul trouble or pacing themselves.   The front court has great depth.

• Jul 17, 20131:01 pm
    by Nick

Knight, at the very least has a warrior spirit.  Nobody else tried a thing on that infamous dunk last year.

• Jul 17, 20131:13 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Depending on the training and the workouts…

Hell I’ll be a The Brandon Knight 6’3.25 Hulked out version vs the 6’3.25 david banner version…

If we has become more explosive, and stronger finishing at the rim it only helps the Pistons.

Period

• Jul 17, 20131:46 pm
    by Fennis

I’m not buying the Drummond claim.

Take a look at Drummond a year ago in college and even early last season. He was noticeably slimmer (and I would argue in better shape) than he was in Summer League. He needs to lose weight, straight up. He is not just huffing and puffing because he’s been off for six weeks. The guy is carrying around a lot more weight, presumably eating well on that NBA salary. I’m not mad at him but I think in a year or two he and the team will realize that he plays best at around 265. This is especially true in a smaller, quicker league.

Yeah, yeah. He’s awesome and doing all the right things so this is an obnoxious nitpick. But I still think time will tell that I’m right.

• Jul 18, 20134:35 pm
      by Max

You may be right but Drummond filling out is more natural for his age so I expect him to gain weight for a few years at least.   I also prefer the scenario of the 300 pound athletic Drummond that no player can match up to.

• Jul 18, 20134:36 pm
        by Max

I guess the question is whether he is better of trying to be Shaq or Kemp and I do realize what happened to Kemp when he tried to be Shaq.

• Jul 17, 20132:03 pm
    by CityofKlompton

The thing I like about Knight is he seems to be an incredibly hard worker. Let’s hope he also worked on his play-reading skills in addition to the weight room.

• Jul 17, 20132:51 pm
      by frankie d

i’ve always wondered what knight has been working on, if he is such a hard worker.
      i’ve yet to see it show up in his play, as he looks like the same player he was back at kentucky.
      one area i’d hope he’d improve is his defense.  with his speed and quickness and length, he has a chance to be an excellent defender at the PG position.  if he stepped up his defensive presence, became just a bit better at 3 pointers, and stopped the dumb turnovers, his value would increase greatly.
      none of those things are beyond his capabilities and are things that he could easily accomplish this year.
      for his sake, and the team’s sake, i’d hope he’d do those things.

• Jul 17, 20135:54 pm
        by Who Is Us

Of all the things you can rag on Brandon Knight for his 3pt shooting and defense aren’t really it. he’s already an above average defender with the pootential to be great. as for his 3pt shooting, aside from the 20 games Calderon played, Knight was the Pistons’ best shooter. he was tied for 71 in the entire league (21 among PGs). Ahead of JJ Reddick, Kyle Lowrey, Mike Conley, Paul George, DeShawn Stevenson,  & Ty Lawson and only  within a single % point behind “great shooters” like Damien Lillard, James Harden,  Jrue Holidsay, Jason Terry,  George Hill, Nicolas Batum, Danilo Galinari, Dorrell Wright, Joe Johnson, and Jamal Crawford. I personally take into account that the last 25 games he was playing SG and shooting over bigger defenders which negatively affected his shooting.

Rag on the turnovers, the inconsistency on the break, his lack of strength finishing at the rim, and low assist numbers. but give credit where it is due in two areas where he was a team leader.

If he can continue to be the defensive presence on the court he has his 1st 2 seasons, and continue to improve at, can be consistently around 38-39% (Billups is a career 39% shooter for reference) from 3, and increase his assist by 1.5-2 per game, and decrease his assists by .5-1 per game and I see no reason to trade him. if he can play consistently at that level there would be no reason to give up he, or Monroe for a player  with a broken offensive game like Rondo.

If he cant than even I, who is a vocal BK supporter, would be ready to move on. Not necessarily for Rondo, but ready to move on.

• Jul 17, 20136:33 pm
          by frankie d

my real intent didn’t come through.
          i agree that he is a slightly above average defender now, and the same thing could be argued about his outside shooting.
          i will say that he is very inconsistent in those areas however.  his focus seems to come and go.  for instance, he plays like an all-nba guard whenever he is on the court against kyrie irving, but his effectiveness wanes at other times.
          why?
          acknowledging that he does well in those areas – and i certainly don’t mean to slight him at all, as i’ve always argued the knight will be ok, a quality nba player as soon as the team figures out how to best use him – i think he could raise his value as a player by becoming dominant in those two areas.
          i think he could be a tony allen-level, lindsay hunter-type defender at the point guard spot.
          i also think he could be a guy who hits near 40% in his 3 point shots.
          imho, if he just develops in those two areas, to a level that is certainly within his reach, he will be a very valuable nba player.
          he could continue to struggle in the ways he is struggling now – and hopefully the team would minimize that impact by way of pairing him with the right backcourt mates – and he would still be a very nice player to have on your roster.  sort of a cross between tony allen and jason terry.
          again, no intent to downgrade knight, as i definitely think he has quality nba talent and a place on this team.  my point is simply that he has the potential to be a dominant player in certain areas, and if he develops in those areas, his value will increase quite a bit.

• Jul 17, 20137:22 pm
            by Who Is Us

Gotcha, that I can agree with.

• Jul 17, 20132:11 pm
    by Quin

Drool? Ever notice how the best shooters are never muscle dudes? Even if some are, there seems to be a relationship between getting stronger and losing your shot. I don’t see this as a good thing.

• Jul 17, 20132:28 pm

I don’t know, but I’m guessing you have your causation backwards. Strong guys are better at getting to the cup, so that is what they tend to do as it is more efficient usually than shooting. Scrawny guys have to have jumpers usually to make it in the league because they can’t force their way inside as well.

• Jul 17, 20132:31 pm
      by MIKEYDE248

Steve Nash, said that when I tried to bulk up that it started to effect his game, so him trimmed back down to where he still had his mobility.

• Jul 17, 20133:31 pm
      by T Casey

I do think there’s some truth to that assertion that adding too much muscle can negatively affect your shot. I think it has to do with the fluidity and range of motion that you have with less muscle, personally. The more muscle you add, the stiffer your movements tend to become. And, as is true with most sport, the looser (probably not the best word to use) and more natural your movements are, the more control, accuracy, and even power you’ll get.

• Jul 17, 20133:22 pm
    by T Casey

As good as it is that Knight’s been hitting the gym a lot, it’s not his size that’s the problem. His inconsistent shooting and poor decision making with the ball are what’s really hurting him.I hope he’s been spending enough time where he really needs it as well.

• Jul 26, 20136:57 pm
    by angry little man

Improving your strength and conditioning is always a plus, if BK did it right and I’m assuming he did, his added muscularity is a by product of a sport specific conditioning program that emphasizes speed/power/and agility. This will help him stay fresh late in the season and also help him defend bigger players.