Who from the Jonas Jerebko, Kyle Singler, Khris Middleton and Kim English group will be in the Pistons rotation next season?

The Pistons have four former second round picks signed through next season. Despite the fact that fans of any team tend to take an optimistic view of their young talent, historically speaking, odds are not good that second round picks will materialize into reliable NBA rotation players. To varying degrees, all four of the Pistons current former second rounders have shown at least flashes (and more than flashes in a couple of cases) of being steady players who could have long careers. In my column for the Detroit Free Press today, I discussed what is fair to expect from Kyle Singler, Jonas Jerekbo, Kim English and Khris Middleton. Here’s my take on Jerebko:

Since he’s already on his second NBA contract, it’s strange to put Jerebko in this category. A second contract would seem to indicate a player is established. But does anyone have a good read on what Jerebko is at this point? Jerebko established himself early on as a rotation player through making hustle plays, defending, running the floor, crashing the offensive glass and moving well without the ball. But he also found himself out of the rotation last season when he became too aggressive offensively, over-dribbled, rushed shots and was a bit turnover prone. His perimeter shot also hasn’t developed as hoped, something that would truly make him a weapon combined with his athleticism, floor-running and rebounding capabilities.

One of those descriptions perfectly describes a key role player on a good team. The other describes a limited player overreaching because he’s being asked to do too much on a bad team. So whether Jerebko develops into a useful rotation player for the Pistons (a bigger Matt Barnes? a smaller Chris Andersen? … looks like Jerebko will need more tattoos either way) doesn’t depend so much on Jerebko, it depends on the talent the Pistons add to their roster in the offseason. If Jerebko is used in a capacity that allows him to run, jump, defend and make hustle plays with his boundless energy, he’ll be a productive member of the rotation next season. If he has to play too prominent a role simply because the Pistons have no one else, it’s likely his production will suffer.

Check out my thoughts on the other three at Freep.com.

• Jun 21, 201310:12 am
    by I HATE FRANK

on another thread i post that we need to package Stuckey, with Singler, and Jonas…

We need to become more athletic….

• Jun 21, 201310:49 am
      by G

My reply on that post was that the Pistons need to get BETTER, not more athletic.

• Jun 21, 201312:31 pm

agreed

• Jun 21, 20131:32 pm
        by I HATE FRANK

there are different way to build a team… In Todays NBA you can get better by becoming more athletic…

If you’re going to Draft a wing player …that means Singler, English, Middleton or Stuckey minutes are gonna get cut back …

The players …I’d like to add are young and still have a lot of potential…. They would also provide depth and versatility off the bench…

Terrance Jonees can play SF or PF … Derrick Williams and Robinson both become great replacements for Maxiell or Jonas ….

• Jun 21, 20131:48 pm
          by G

Like I mentioned before, none of those guys are terribly athletic. And being athletic doesn’t equate to being a good player. Marvin Williams, James White, Jamario Moon, Ronald Dupree, Will Bynum, Jonny Flynn… You get better by getting good players, not by getting the best at running and jumping.

As I pointed out in the previous post, the Pistons don’t need to get younger. If anything they need to get older. They were the 8th youngest team in the league last year, and only 2 of the younger teams made the playoffs while 9 out of the 10 oldest made it.

• Jun 21, 20134:00 pm
          by I HATE FRANK

So who would take any of those guys over Singler and or Jonas???
          Which one doesnt look athletic? or couldnt help this team?

• Jun 21, 20138:20 pm
            by Matt

Terrance Jones I would like. Maybe only because the block party he had at the end of last year.
            Derrick Williams kind of reminds me of Knight, because of how they’re handled. Derrick Williams is basically Sheed Jr. in that he wants to jack up 3s and the team wants his hind on the low block. The result is passive player not shooting 3s because he doesn’t want the coach to yell at him and he isn’t converting from inside. Plus they do the same to him that we do to Knight as far as position goes. He plays both forward spots and really hasn’t settled into one though I believe him to be a 4. I don’t think they’d give him to us because they want to move up in the draft and were only one spot ahead though I would like to have him more than Jerebko. I’d take a chance on him.
            Thomas Robinson had a chance to prove himself in Sac, didn’t. Then Houston still couldn’t. If 2 teams give up on him this early I’ll take their word for it.

• Jun 21, 20138:39 pm
            by Matt

On second thought I would take Perry Jones. Sample is real small and he is a well liked player by his team. Everything was spotty though including playing time but he is versitle. As long as the shooting and bad defense was a result of never playing.

• Jun 21, 20138:40 pm
            by I HATE FRANK

“”Perry Jones no. Before the draft a lot of teams thought he’d be a bust and so far he is.”"

No one thought he was a bust, he fell because of a rumored injury … And he played on a championship team behind the 2nd best player in the word…who played nearly 40 mins a game …

He hasn’t played enough to be called a bust

• Jun 21, 201310:23 pm
            by Matt

Out of the draft he had A athletisism with a D motor and was seen as a boom or bust prospect by many. Playing behind Durant we may never know which it is. A top 5 pick doesn’t fall that hard for no reason. His 2nd year at Baylor looked eerily like his 1st. He never got better and you could argue he got worse. His heart is an issue. Plus he couldn’t beat out Thabeet and Collison for a backup role. A coach sees him everyday and he doesn’t think he deserves playing time in front of Thabeet something might be wrong. He is a 3 or 4. Not really either. Can’t shoot enough for the 3 not strong enough for the 4. Keep in mind Ibaka plays 31 minutes a game. If getting him on the floor was that important he’d be a 4 and take the place of Collison. OKC goes small so 3 and 4 would be about the same if Ibaka is center.
            If cheap though I’d still take a chance on him. He is still talented just lazy. I’m not saying he’s terrible just don’t expect a miracle.

• Jun 25, 201311:41 am
            by G

Again, your metric for athleticism falls WAY short of mine. None of those guys wowed at the combine by any stretch. Jones had a pretty good vert, but his lane agility is weak. Williams has an average vert at best, average quicks for his size. Robinson has an average vert and is S L O W. Terrence Jones has an average vert and is nearly as slow as Robinson. Singler has a weak vert but is actually quicker than all of them except Williams.

Basically these were all guys who had a lot of hype before they were drafted that they haven’t lived up to yet. PJ3 & Robinson can’t even get on the court, and I see nothing special in Williams or Terrence Jones so far.

In answer to your question, I wouldn’t take ANY of those guys for Singler straight up. Singler is a useful player & is on a better contract. While Singler isn’t NBA starting material, none of those guys have proved they can do it either. And you still haven’t answered my question about why the Pistons need to get younger (they don’t).

• Jun 21, 201310:15 am
    by labatts

I guess I am out of the loop.  I haven’t heard Singler be compared to Battier at all.  Gosh, now I’m all excited.

• Jun 21, 201310:24 am

It showed up in the comments of a lot of threads her during the season, and I believe one of the beat writers mentioned in a chat as a ‘best case’ for Singler, although I can’t remember which one.

• Jun 21, 201310:42 am
        by I HATE FRANK

@ Patrick since you are here (lurking in the shadows)

Have you heard anything about the Carter-williams and McCullom workout?

• Jun 21, 201310:47 am
    by Matt

I would say Middleton because he most likely won’t be traded. From everything I’ve heard we want trade to get better and Singler has value so he probably won’t be back. If he is returning than he’s already solidified himself as a rotation player. Jerebko did good things at the end of the season so hopefully he’ll pass Charlie V in the rotation unless he too gets traded. English is still developing and probably won’t get a chance until someone gets hurt. If we go after C Brewer than both Middleton and English are out of luck. I think we’ll acquire 3 wings pushing those 2 out but I really don’t see Singler or Jerebko returning so I guess that gives them the best chance out of default.

I don’t see Singler as Battier. His defense wasn’t even close to Battiers. I think his offence is on par though unless it’s game 7 of the NBA finals.

• Jun 21, 20136:53 pm
      by Filo Putz

Mentioning Singler and Battier in the same sentence? If Singler doesn’t show a huge improvement defensively he is heading back to Europe!

• Jun 21, 201310:53 am
    by G

I think Jerebko makes it and Singler. Middleton makes the team but isn’t a rotational regular, and English either gets cut or spends large portions of the season in the D league. English is supposed to be this 3 & D guy, but he didn’t hit his 3′s and his D was AWFUL.

• Jun 21, 201311:12 am
    by Mr.BlockedShot

I think all of them are expendable depending on what you get in return. Right now Stuckey and English seem to be the candidates for not making the team next year for one or another reason. Hopefully Stuckey gets traded to other team where he can prove something and we get something valuable in return. English has wasted his options this past year and it’s doubtful what he can put on the board next season. Wouldn’t mind D-League development for him…I have high expectations on Middleton, I think his scoring ability can be of use for the team. Jerebko and Singler are consolidated players on the team and I expect none of them to miss the rotation unless they get traded. All up to Joe-D…

• Jun 21, 201311:12 am
    by sop

to answer the original question: there’s no way to know until after the draft an free agency but definitely singler because of shooting. btw singler and jerebko were both consensus 1st rounders who slid. i agree with patrick that jerebko’s development (or lack thereof) is disconcerting. furthermore what evidence at all do we have that the pistons organization can develop any young players?

• Jun 21, 201311:57 am
      by MrHappyMushroom

As an FYI, Jerebko’s stats last year were pretty much in line with his other two years.  He was awful at first, and then pretty good.  He deserved to be yanked, though it clearly became personal between him and Frank and my guess is that having him benched for half of the season didn’t help the team.

• Jun 21, 20131:49 pm
        by sop

So you’re agreeing then that Jerebko hasn’t developed? I suppose the regression could be attributed to injury but it still seems like his shooting percentages should have at least stayed the same and not gone down.

• Jun 21, 201311:36 am
    by Percy

what u guys think abt this trade. knight n monroe . for rondo.  And we sign iggy n j smooth . For 11.5 a piece

• Jun 21, 201311:43 am
      by sop

smoov and iggy wouldn’t sign for that. try 13 for iggy and 15 for smoov. i would’t give up monroe for rondo. try knight, singler and the 8th pick for rondo and terry’s bad contract.

• Jun 21, 201312:09 pm
      by MrHappyMushroom

That team would easily score 70 points a night.
      Drummond currently has two foot range.  Rondo is challenged outside of ten feet.  Josh Smith was one of the worst offensive players in the game last year and looooves to hurl three point shots in the general direction of the rim (and  connects almost 29% of the time).  Iguodala has become close to a bad offensive player.  Opposing teams would move from Hack-a-Dre to Hack-Pretty-Much-Anyone-With-the-Ball, as Rondo is the best foul shooter of the four at a whopping 62%.

• Jun 21, 20131:23 pm
        by G

They don’t need to hack anyone. Just set the defense up so everyone has at least 1 foot in the paint at all times. Force Smoove, Iggy and Rondo to beat you with their jumpers.

• Jun 21, 20132:41 pm
          by MrHappyMushroom

Or just to make it competitive, field only three or four players on defense.  This line up could break the century mark sometimes!

• Jun 21, 201312:40 pm

Knight + Monroe for Rondo? Are you kidding? That is giving up way too much. I would consider Monroe for Rondo straight up, but I think I’d want the Cs to throw in a pick.

Then sign Iggy and Smoove? Once again, are you crazy? You want a starting lineup which is Rondo/some unidentified wing/Iggy/Smith/Drummond? So the Pistons are relying on one totally unproven player on a rookie deal (either the 8th pick, 37th pick, Singler, or Middleton) for all of the shooting in their starting lineup?

Are you just suggesting a away to ensure that Charlotte doesn’t get the Pistons’ 2014 pick?

• Jun 22, 20138:26 am
        by Jens

You are right! That Rondo,SG,Iggy,Smoove,Drummond Thing can impossibly work. It would probably be one of the best defensive Teams in the league, but the offense would be scary. But if you can get Rondo straight up for Knight and 8 (maybe plus sweetener), then use Greg in a trade maybe for something like Gallinari and Corey Brewer and then sign smoove to a reasonable deal (I say start with 12/yr.) this is looking much better already. That would mean to cut Stuckey and to amnesty Charlie. And then, there maybe is a Chance to get another shooter at the 2 on the FA market.

• Jun 21, 201311:43 am
    by Jeremy

In my mind, the only player of that group that is in the rotation is Singler. Middleton will get minutes but I don’t think he will be in the regular rotation. I feel the same way about Jonas – I personally think he is overrated and complains way too much when he is on the floor. English will will probably be released or spend time in the D-league. Overall, its a hard decision to make because we don’t know a) who is going to be drafted and b) who is going to be pursued in free agency.

As of today, the team has 10 players under contract (Drummond, Monroe, Knight, Stuckey, Singler, Jonas, Middleton, Slava, CV, and English), 3 draft picks (1 1st rounder and 2 2nd rounders), and cash in their pockets to spend. I expect English will be waived in July because his contract is fully non-guaranteed if waived by 7/12. I think Slava will be around next season, but if he is waived by next Saturday (6/29) only $500,000 of his $1.5 mil contract is guaranteed. Finally, Stuckey’s deal only has $4mil guaranteed of the $8.5 mil if he is waived prior to next Sunday (6/30) – I think this means if he is waived, only $4 mil of the $8.5 would count towards the cap, freeing up an additional $4.5 mil (Please correct me if I am wrong on this, that area of the CBA and cap I am fuzzy on). I guess my point is this roster will be dramatically different looking at this time next month.

• Jun 21, 201311:46 am
    by deusXango

Who’s working the hardest and making the most sacrifices this summer to get better? That’s who should make the rotation. Who would that be? I’d think that hard work and dedication would show to honest eyes.

• Jun 21, 201312:13 pm
    by zdh

Middleton probably has the most potential so hopefully he gets some run. They should play jerebko and hope he does well, and that some other team will want him mid season. Right now I cant see any team wanting to trade for any of these guys.

• Jun 21, 201312:17 pm
    by Vic

If Joe is smart we’ll get a starter talent athletic wing, a PF, and a true pg in the draft. Them a starter wing in free agency. Jerebko, Middleton and Singler will all be on the team, and the Pistons will just have a really deep bench.

Jerebko will be the energy small ball 4.
    Middleton will be either the backup 3 or 2 depending on how strong he gets.
    Singler will be the utility 3… Wherever he’s needed to hit 3s cut and make smart passes.

• Jun 21, 201312:44 pm

I definitely think Jonas Jerebko is a rotation caliber player.

• Jun 21, 20137:50 pm
      by Filo Putz

He needs to show improvement in man defence to be relied on and not a liability off the bench. Another issue– Unless your Steve Novak or Matt Bonner no coach wants to see a 6’10′ guy roaming the 3point line.

• Jun 21, 201312:44 pm
    by koz

middleton if given decent minutes will get you 13 and 5 a night. he could be a 20 pt scorer in the future, and he’s a decent rebounder, a solid 2 or 3 position player, pistons turn the corner next year, book it.

• Jun 21, 20134:46 pm
      by Jon

20 pts is being extremely optimistic. you realize it isn’t likely that harrison barnes even makes it there and middleton is all around not as good as barnes. if he ever got to 20 ppg it’d be pretty close to a miracle in my eyes and i actually think he’s going to turn out pretty well

• Jun 21, 201312:46 pm
    by brgulker

That Middleton contract is still a head scratcher to me.

• Jun 21, 201312:48 pm
    by brgulker

Calderon
    Stuckey
    Jerebko
    Monroe
    Drummond

That would be my starting five if the season started today (and of course Calderon retained).

• Jun 21, 20131:51 pm
      by MIKEYDE248

This starting 5 is a head scratcher.  Still not sure Calderon is coming back and I think most fans don’t want Stuckey back.  May as well add Charlie V to the line up.

• Jun 21, 20132:22 pm
      by Matt

If thats the starting lineup for next season I count 3 wholes to fill. All on the perimeter. NY, Boston, Brooklyn, Chicago, and both LA teams are over the luxery tax an Denver wants Iggy so they could look to shed some money.

• Jun 21, 20134:44 pm
      by MrHappyMushroom

I think I’m too sold on the Stuckey as a cancer possibility.  It’s hard to stomach a “scorer” who will squat over a table and produce a dozen and a half zero/one/two field goal outings.  It’s beyond streaky with him, it’s utterly unreliable.  Maybe a new start elsewhere will help him to get his act together.

• Jun 21, 20134:53 pm
    by mshansky

If Stuckey starts next season, I guarantee it will be Dumars’ last. He has NO qualities that would endear him to any team long-term, including competitiveness (except here and there), talent, he is not particularly interesting to watch, he does not complement any of the players he has ever played with.
    It is surprising to me that anyone sees him as part of the Pistons’ future.No one who has watched him for six years would think that. My worry is that no other team will want to give up much for this loser.

• Jun 21, 20135:11 pm
    by City of Klompton

Just a thought, perhaps this is why we haven’t made the playoffs in going on five years.  We have a really bad habit of overvaluing the guys on our team, especially those who we draft outside of the early lottery.  I give Joe a lot of credit for being able to routinely snag diamonds in the rough, but the fact that we are hoping (banking) on four 2nd round draft picks to develop into regular, contributing players in our rotation might be a red flag.

• Jun 21, 20135:45 pm
    by Hook shot

I think a lot of people would like to see Stuckey gone, but he has little trade value and no coach is going to tolerate his attitude.
    We will see how summer basketball goes for English and Middleton. English probably won’t make the team in the fall.

• Jun 21, 20135:49 pm
    by Hook shot

Terry Teague would look good in a Piston’s uniform.  I have heard that their is a good chance that McCollum will be drafted. I agree with I hate Frank.  Joe should give Shabazz a long look when he works out

• Jun 21, 20137:30 pm
      by jinzzy

I would rather see joe calling up the nets for Brooks , we would probably have to give the 8th pick. plus its a better option than picking shabazz

• Jun 25, 201311:44 am
        by G

You’d rather take MarShon Brooks than Teague? Teague is a PG, Brooks is a SG that can’t hit threes. We’ve already got one of those. His name is Rodney Stuckey, he’s a REALLY bad fit on this team, and we don’t have to dump a #8 draft pick to keep him.

• Jun 25, 201311:47 am
        by G

I’d keep the pick & take Shabazz over trading it for Brooks. Good lord.