Trey Burke to Pistons in ESPN mock draft

Chad Ford of ESPN just released his latest mock draft, and you might like his choice for the Pistons: Trey Burke.

The Pistons are hoping, for a third year in a row, that one of the top seven players on the board slides to them on draft night. However, it the draft holds true to form, look for them to try to address their backcourt at No. 8. The team thinks Brandon Knight is more suited to play the two and would like to bring in a "pure" point guard to run the team. While Burke is a little undersized, he’s highly skilled as both a shooter and a penetrator and has great leadership capabilities. McCollum and Zeller also are possibilities here, especially if both Burke and Carter-Williams are off the board.

Yes, a thousand times yes. I still don’t think Burke will be available at No. 8, and this part of the mock draft could change several times before the actual draft, but Ford reveals a couple hopeful tidbits.

Ford on the Pelicans, who have the No. 6 pick:

They like Trey Burke and Carter-Williams, but sources continue to say that they think Austin Rivers can still make the transition to point guard.

Ford on the Kings, who have the No. 7 pick:

Sounds like Trey Burke isn’t particularly high on their list

This is the time for smokescreens, and maybe the Pelicans and Kings really do like Burke. But if they don’t, he could easily slip. The Magic (No. 2) want a point guard, but they’re probably picking too high for Burke. The Wizards (No. 3) have John Wall. The Bobcats (No. 4) have Kemba Walker. And the Suns (No. 5) have Goran Dragic.

Burke seems like the most likely top prospects to fall to the Pistons, and I’d be absolutely ecstatic if he does.

• Jun 18, 20132:51 pm
    by AWright

Do you think that the Mateen pick situation would give JoeD any pause in taking Trey?  Different players and skillsets, and Pistons have different needs, but wouldn’t this be a dangerous situation for him?

• Jun 18, 20132:53 pm
      by Brady Fredericksen

Nah, that was over a decade ago and Mateen was a very limited player outside of his leadership/playmaking/playful jokes.

Maybe I’m in the minority here, but with Vasquez already in the fold in New Orleans, why would the Pelicans draft Burke? Vasquez is good, and it’s only going to further bury their other lottery pick — whom they HAVE to have some sort of desire to see do well — on the bench.

• Jun 18, 20134:23 pm

Because Vasquez isn’t actually very good.

• Jun 18, 20136:11 pm
          by Reaction

Vasquez had one of the highest assists/per game numbers last season. Sure he sucks at defense but you can not deny his playmaking abilities exist

• Jun 18, 20136:17 pm

Vasquez was the classic case of someone has to get numbers on a bad team.

• Jun 19, 20139:20 am
            by Crispus

Pshaw. the guy knows how to completely run an offense. He can make all kinds of weird-angled layups and floaters too. He’s a POINT GUARD in all caps.

• Jun 19, 201311:30 am
            by Huddy

@tarsier 9 assists a game is a little much to be just because hes on a bad team.  Knight doesn’t get near that on a bad team or Dragic or Lowry or Walker…Rubio is imo a good player on a bad team (especially with Love out) and he gets 7 apg.  Admittedly I don’t watch enough of NO for a good eye test on him, but I don’t buy that 9 apg over a whole season is just a result of being on a bad team because that just doesn’t show up enough on other bad teams to be true.  What would he drop down to if the talent around him improved?  6?

• Jun 19, 201312:32 pm

9 apg is definitely not an inevitability for somebody to get on any team. But Vasquez is an example of a player whose numbers far exceed his ability to impact the game. New Orleans does not have a ton of ball movement. Vasquez pretty much brings the ball up court, passes it to someone, and that person shoots. That style of play lands him a lot of assists.

Maybe he is better than I give him credit for, but the lack of love he got in MIP voting suggests that I’m not the only one who sees his numbers as inflated.

• Jun 19, 20131:25 pm
            by Huddy

9 APG isn’t sustainable for him, but for draft discussion I think he can be counted on solid distributor making PG less of a need than some believe for NO (especially if they have faith in rivers as well).  He averaged 5 off the bench the previous season, which is a good sign as well.  I can see inflated..but think its unfair to say he isn’t very good.  Even though I agree with how you describe his numbers being inflated I think it is fair to ask what else could he have done to prove he can be solid going forward?  SF and C have to be bigger needs.

• Jun 18, 20137:40 pm
      by KaBa

Would it give a pause to you? It sure does to me. I stil like the personality of Mateen but the overall hype that surrounded him was just to much for him, it also didn’t really help that they won the NCAA that year. In my opinion his overall carrer would have been better if he wasn’t drafted by the Pistons.
      I still think that Burke is a much better PG so at the end I would take him, but then again I woudl also gamble totally on MCW. There is something unique about that guy.

• Jun 19, 20137:20 am
        by oats

Mateen was in that 2000 draft. That draft was ridiculously awful. Michale Redd was the best player to come out of that draft, and he was a second round pick that no one realistically should have seen coming. The next best is probably Kenyon Martin, who was the top pick in the draft. After that things are pretty grim. It seems really odd to let a bad draft pick with the 14th pick in what is universally considered the worst draft in the modern era of basketball to scare you away from a player. Especially since Mateen played 4 years of college ball and was significantly worse than Burke is as a sophomore.

• Jun 18, 20132:56 pm
    by mixmasta

We need to add a bigger backcourt in FA if we draft Trey. Him and BK7 will give us an undersized duo. Stuckey is not a match since his outside shot is unreliable.

MCP still is a 2nd option.

• Jun 18, 20133:07 pm
      by NickB

Who’s MCP?

• Jun 18, 20134:23 pm

Michael Cartwell-Pope

• Jun 18, 20137:46 pm
          by KaBa

Well there is either Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (KCP) or Michael Carter-Williams (MCW), to me it seems just like a confusion.

• Jun 18, 20138:08 pm

That’s pretty much a more long-winded way of saying exactly what I did.

• Jun 19, 20131:43 am
            by gmehl

@tasier Your comment was the funniest i’ve seen on here in a long time. Short sweet yet funny as hell. Good job :-)

• Jun 18, 20133:07 pm
    by Max

I’d be happy with Trey or Victor.   Real happy.

• Jun 18, 20134:24 pm

ditto

or Bennett

• Jun 19, 201310:42 am
        by Matt

I would rather a wing player but I think it’ll be PG. My suspicion is that we want a guy to split time withh Knight.

• Jun 18, 20133:35 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

not a fan… but if we draft Burke it means aremajot trades are going to happen ….. we’ll probably move Knight and/ or Stuckey  … Sign Oj Mayo

I don’t know what kinda player Burke will be… Too me he is the high risk player mentioned in the lottery… I just don’t know …

But when he is something and pans out…..he can rally a team and rally a city …

• Jun 18, 20133:43 pm
      by sop

agreed. if burke is drafted knight must go or iggy must get signed & knight comes off bench. burke is jameer nelson to me.

• Jun 18, 20133:50 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

“But when he is special”

• Jun 18, 20134:29 pm

I have no problem with moving Stuckey. Although I assume he would stick around for another season until he expires anyway.

I’d rather not move Knight. I still like his potential and doubt that anyone will give up fair value for him.

• Jun 18, 20136:32 pm
      by KaBa

Juhu, let’s go give Mayo the next Contract we are going to regret. Why on earth should he come here except if we give him way too much money. I’m still hoping that somehow victor falls to the pistons (I’m not really seeing coming that way, but the hope dies last). And before Dumars goes on and brings Mayo, he should rather then draft Shabazz (similar type of players)

• Jun 19, 20138:49 am
      by oats

Eh, I think the odds are good that the team ends up with Knight as the 3rd guard and Stuckey as the 4th.

• Jun 19, 20139:15 am
      by G

I’ve seen nothing from Knight or Stuckey so far that would justify not taking a player simply because he plays the same position or offers a similar skill set. I’m trying to think of any playoff team that would have started either player… Maybe NY, caddying the 2 guard spot for JR until he comes off the bench…

• Jun 18, 20133:38 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

but also believe chad ford gets bored and just create scenarios

• Jun 18, 20133:40 pm
    by GEORGIO

I think Burke is the most likely player to fall on draft night, the Magic won’t take him at two and no matter what the mock drafts are saying, I don’t see the Pelican’s taking him at 6, Joe, I don’t think, will take him at 8 especially if Zeller or Bennett are still on the board. That means he should fall to Utah at 14.

• Jun 18, 20134:35 pm

If Bennett and Burke are available at 8, that would be ridiculous. That would mean there were at least three reaches in the top 7.

That said, I don’t really see how Burke gets past Sacramento.

• Jun 18, 20134:44 pm
        by I HATE FRANK

I can see it ….McCullum to the Suns, and Len to the Pelicans or Hornets is not a reach… Perfect Storm if you want Bennet or Olapido ..Burke goes to Orlando

If McCollum and Len go in the top 6 … and Noel,Porter, Mclemore go 1,2,3
        I see Bennet with the tweener label falling…
        I see Olapido with his lack of a jumper falling…

• Jun 18, 20135:23 pm

• Jun 19, 20137:42 am
            by I HATE FRANK

“”Even then, you need another non-top 6 player to go in the top 7 besides McCollum and Len.
            And the idea of someone taking McCollum over Burke is absurd. THough it may happen anyway.”"

1. Noel
            2.Burke
            3.Porter
            4.Mclemore
            5.McCollum
            6.Len
            7.Bennett /Oladipo /
            8. Oladipo / Bennett

• Jun 19, 20138:56 am
            by oats

You do realize you haven’t actually responded to tarsier’s point, right? He’s saying Detroit won’t get to pick from Bennett or Burke; or I guess Oladipo or Bennett. Even you haven’t set that up, and instead you only have one of them make it to Detroit. To get a choice between two of those guys you need someone like Zeller, MCW, Muhammad, or Gobert to go in the top 7 along with McCollum and Len. I think Len is in the top 7, but I’m betting against 2 more to get in it from outside that top 6.

• Jun 18, 20133:54 pm
    by hoophabit

I see Burke as being similar to John Stockton as a PG.  Not overly large or athletic, but able to do all the things a PG is supposed to do.  He has a high basketball IQ and strong competitive spirit.  When you can both shoot and pass it can help make up for not being a super athlete.  Sure Stockton was helped by having a great big with which to work.  We have a couple of bigs who might not be too bad.  Monroe is already very solid, and Drummond could develop into something special.  Some additional outside shooting would sure help to keep teams honest, and would help both our point and bigs alike.  If Trey ended up being the Piston pick it wouldn’t be a disappointment to me.

• Jun 18, 20134:01 pm
    by RyanK

A rookie point guard?  Burke might be a good long-term option, but if there’s any truth to Joe D being on thin ice, why would he do this?  A man who’s on double secret probation doesn’t put his livelihood in a rookie point guards hands.  The only way this is feasible is if they bring back Calderon or another experienced point guard to right the ship as needed.  The only upside for next year would be the lock to keep our top 8 protected lottery pick.

I didn’t like what I saw from Knight last year.  Supposedly he was working on his game 12 hours per day…it sure didn’t show.  Maybe I’m impatient, but I expected more.

• Jun 18, 20134:28 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

Draft Burke who by all standards is not an elite PG…Dumars will be simply spinning the wheels
      From Iverson, to Stuckey, to Knight , to Burke

While never addressing the SG or SF issues we havent had a legit wing player in years… we got lucky with both Greg and Drummond…. because we could very easily have had Vessely or Diop and John Henson as out front court (assuming we had the same draft position)

I have nothing personal against Burke, but saying Burke means we are ready to over pay OJ Mayo… when there are players just like when in the draft…

• Jun 18, 20135:21 pm
          by RyanK

So what does that mean for Knight?  I assume you wouldn’t be a proponent of starting a backcourt with size.

• Jun 18, 20135:21 pm
          by I HATE FRANK

Dan c’mon please go all homer on me…

At his best who do you think he is?
          At his worst?
          At somewhere in the middle?

• Jun 18, 20135:33 pm
            by Dan Feldman

Best: Chris Paul’s post-injury offense without Paul’s elite defense for his position
            Worst: D.J. Augustin

• Jun 18, 20135:32 pm
            by Dan Feldman

And?

• Jun 18, 20135:40 pm
            by RyanK

Speaks for itself doesn’t?  Just like your post about Burke.

• Jun 18, 20135:44 pm
            by Dan Feldman

Try speaking for it. You obviously don’t understand my point and are winning an argument against a straw man you created.

• Jun 18, 20136:16 pm
            by RyanK

College player of the year.  That’s great, but it doesn’t always translate to being a great pro.

Burke has size and athletic issues that many say will limit him as a point guard at the next level.  You used a link to make a point he’s an elite point guard…I used a link to make a point that award doesn’t always mean the guy is going to be an elite NBA point guard.

• Jun 18, 20136:37 pm
          by Dan Feldman

Again, you don’t get it.

“Burke who by all standards is not an elite PG”

Player of the Year is a pretty big standard that says he’s an elite PG. There are other standards a player can meet to show he’s an elite PG, but that is definitely one of them.

Of course that standard doesn’t guarantee NBA success. Nobody claimed it did. Again, congratulations on winning an argument nobody made.

• Jun 18, 20138:41 pm
            by sop

I’m very confused why this dude is so important that he gets the editor of this site to argue back with him repeatedly? This guy isn’t worth your time Dan. Talk to someone who knows how to back up their opinions.

• Jun 19, 20137:27 am
            by oats

I’d say it’s more important to argue against the bad points than the well made ones. If you let bad ideas go unchallenged then they remain prevalent, but pointing out that they are bad arguments discredits them. Other than that, isn’t it kind of up to Dan who he chooses to argue with? Why does it matter to you how the site’s contributors choose to respond to comments?

• Jun 19, 20137:36 am
            by RyanK

I thought we were trying to draft a good point guard.  Burke’s physical limitations are a serious concern when he’s playing bigger more athletic players.  Why did you post AP player of the year if it wasn’t to demonstrate how good you think Burke will be at the next level?  I posted Jimmer to demonstrate my point that CPOY doesn’t always make a good pro.

Or did I not get it again?  Wasn’t this about Burke being drafted by the pistons.  You’re confusing me with your posts because you can’t stick to the topic.

• Jun 19, 20138:38 am
            by sop

@oats: your missing the point I’m not advocating “not challenging bad ideas”, rather my point is why bother with a fool. A fool won’t acknowledge a mistake no matter what evidence you him or how hard you talk at him. It matters to me who gets responded to by Dan, or Patrick or any other official site representative, because in responding they legitimize a comment by deeming it worthy of their time. Obviously, it is their choice who they respond to, but that doesn’t mean that choice can’t be questioned.

• Jun 19, 20139:15 am
            by oats

@sop. You are mistaking this for a private conversation. Any conversation on a public forum is not strictly between the people having the conversation because it is being presented to anyone who stumbles across it. As such, winning over the person you are arguing is not always as important as pointing out to the other readers why the idea is not sound. I also don’t think that pointing out that an idea is bad legitimizes it. In fact I’d say the opposite is true, it marginalizes it. Leaving it unchallenged makes it look like people can’t effectively argue against it, but disproving the claim makes it obvious that the statement is weak.

More than any of that though, it really is their prerogative to respond to what they want to respond to. It really does seem wrong to question them on it. I really don’t get how you are in a position to question how they choose to use their time.

@RyanK. Nope, still not getting it. The statement was that there is no standard by which Burke is a good point guard. That post was a simple rebuttal of that obviously incorrect claim. It was not an argument that Burke is going to be a good pro point guard, just that he very clearly was an excellent college one. That’s all it takes for that statement to be factually inaccurate. Just because Dan also thinks Burke is a good pick for the Pistons does not mean that every argument he makes regarding Burke has to prove that Burke is going to be a good pro. Dan did not argue being player of the year made Burke a good pick for Detroit, he just argued that there is a standard to consider Burke a good point guard.

• Jun 19, 20137:43 pm
            by sop

@oats: If your right about this being such a public forum, which I would agree with since its an official EPSN sponsored site, then its all the more important that users give their feedback and part of that is questioning the writers posts or comments. But more than that, this site also represents a community of Pistons fans and so when I address someone its as one fan to another not as a public statement. I hope you find my defense morally adequate oats but if you don’t then perhaps you should complain to ESPN and try to get me disbarred.

• Jun 19, 201311:38 pm
            by oats

Oh get over yourself. That’s not what I meant, and I think you know it. I’m saying you have no more right to make demands on the writers to respond to people than you can tell me who or what to respond to.

• Jun 20, 20138:03 am
            by Dan Feldman

I read every comment on the site. When I comment is a combination of what catches my eye, when I think my original post needs more explanation and, unfortunately most of all, when I have time. There a lot great comments here, and I wish I could reply to all of them. Unfortunately, that’s just not feasible.

• Jun 18, 20135:25 pm

Nobody Dumars drafts will make a huge impact as a rookie. But Burke is more likely to than just about anyone outside of Porter and Oladipo.

• Jun 18, 20135:40 pm
        by RyanK

There’s a big learning curve at the point guard position.  Does Joe D have this kid learn the position while Gores’ is sharpening his axe (If you believe what’s posted on this board)?  2-3 years out this pick might payoff…but is Joe D operating on a 2-3 year plan?

• Jun 18, 20135:46 pm
          by Dan Feldman

What players do you think are more NBA-ready than Burke and are available at No. 8 in Ford’s mock?

• Jun 18, 20136:26 pm
            by RyanK

It’s about the role, not the player.  PGs have a huge role in running a team.  Other players can focus on themselves more, rebounding, making their shots, playing good defense, hustling…PG has to setup the offense and get the ball to players where and when they can be effective.

The point is Joe D will not leave his future in the hands of a rookie point guard…if you’re right about him being on the verge of termination.  If he takes Burke he will certainly look for a veteran to bring in behind him.  Leaving him out there to sink or swim when team success if what will save Joe D’s job…not going to happen.

• Jun 18, 20136:32 pm
            by Dan Feldman

Name one player, for the role they will play at the next level, who is more ready than Burke and is available at No. 8 in Ford’s mock draft.

• Jun 18, 20136:33 pm
            by Dan Feldman

Also, four of the last five Rookies of the Year were PGs. It’s obviously not impossible for PGs to come in ready to play.

• Jun 18, 20137:52 pm
            by City of Klompton

…silence is golden…

• Jun 19, 20131:13 am
            by I HATE FRANK

Shabazz has a NBA Ready Game…not even gonna debate it…I’ve already done enough of that

If Burke did not play for Michigan, and didn’t become a cult hero… You guys would not even piss his direction. We NEED A SCORER AT SG OR SF…

If we don’t get one in the draft will will have to overpay for one in FREE-AGENCY!

I’m tired of trying to draft the damn PG’s of the future… Seeming every other year

• Jun 19, 20137:42 am
            by oats

You keep bringing up the Michigan thing, but it means nothing to me. I like point guards who are good at passing, at not turning the ball over, and have some range on their jump shot. No matter who that player played for, I would be interested in that guy. It’s not a Michigan thing, it’s that I love Burke’s game. He’s great at the pick and roll, and Detroit happens to start two big men that are really good in as the pick man. He’s good at throwing lob passes, and Drummond is great at finishing them. He also has the range to help space the floor. That makes him a tremendous fit in Detroit. His defense will never be all that good, but he’s a better defender than most people seem to think. He should be able to become an average to slightly below average defender in time.That is a really good player, and this draft really stinks. That makes him one of the top 6 prospects in this draft.

Also, the team will stop drafting PG’s of the future when they find a competent one. Knight has shown no real ability to play the position, so the team should still be looking. The team currently has zero players capable of making a quality inlet pass into the post on a consistent basis, and that is a huge non starter for the team. As the roster stands right now, I’d say the point guard is the single biggest need for this team. Not drafting one despite him being the best talent available is absurd. Besides, if Burke is the pick, then the team will be finally taking a point guard that knows how to pass the ball. That’s why they are already back to looking for a point guard, because they haven’t taken one that can run an offense yet. This is the argument against taking McCollum to play the point, not against taking Burke.

• Jun 19, 20137:49 am
            by RyanK

Once in a great while one comes in ready to play…but 3 out of 4 of those ROY players are leading their teams back to the lottery every season they’ve been in the league.  Putting up good numbers, showing potential, I don’t question that a point guard can do that as a rookie.

Go back and re-read what I posted.  Joe D isn’t going to turn this team over to a rookie point guard if his head is on the block.  He might draft Burke, but you will also see him bring back Calderon or bring in a veteran PG…if his head is on the block.

I never said Burke would be a bad choice for the team…just that it would be a bad choice for Dumars if your argument that his job is on the line has any merit.

• Jun 19, 20139:13 am

When has anyone used “he went to Michigan” as an argument for drafting Burke? I suppose one could, just in the sense that Michigan was in the Big Ten, easily the toughest conference last season.

But you insist upon trying to counter the argument that nobody is making. We don’t care what school he played for. We care about how well he played.

• Jun 19, 20139:59 am

Also, of course ROYs (PGs or otherwise) rarely get their teams to the playoffs. That’s in the nature of the whole worse-teams-get-better-picks philosophy.

If the Pistons make the playoffs next season, odds are it will have more to do with the free agent haul and internal improvement than the draft. But of players available to be drafted, I’d put Burke as the third most likely to make an impact immediately behind Oladipo and Porter.

• Jun 18, 20136:20 pm

People talk about there being a bigger learning curve at PG and C than other positions. but I just don’t see it. They seem to develop at the same rate as every other position. Look how many PGs have won ROY lately.

• Jun 18, 20137:00 pm
          by Vic

There’s a big learning curve if you don’t know how to control the pace of the game run several offensive styles, shoot to open up the floor and keep your man honest, and make good decisions in transition. Trey Burke is an NBA point guard just as much as Oladipo is already an NBA level athlete… But since bball intelligence is only quantified in assist/to ratio which is not as flashy… Burke drops to the Pistons

• Jun 18, 20137:31 pm
          by gmehl

@RyanK “Does Joe D have this kid learn the position while Gores’ is sharpening his axe”
          I disagree with you about Dumars drafting certain players only because he wants to save his job. Even though his track record as a GM has been poor for the best part of the last decade I don’t think he will be thinking of himself (job security) when it is the Pistons turn to pick. In case you have forgotten he is a very classy individual and they didn’t name the sportsmanship award after him for nothing. Dumars has and always will put the Piston organisation before him and if it is meant that he will lose his job then I can see him being fine with it. IMHO Joe having a year or 2 off would do wonders for him as a GM. If Gores ends up firing him I can really see him having a year off and then another team snapping him up very quickly. Our last championship team he put together was no fluke and I don’t care what anyone says differently about it.

In regards to Burke and if he is still there which I doubt he will be but if he is then you definitely take him then you look to move Stuckey and then sign either Iggy or Mayo. I don’t think Burke will be there anyway and I think Dumars will be choosing between KCP, Shabazz, McCollum and Zeller. If thats the case then I’d go with KCP.

• Jun 19, 20137:58 am
            by RyanK

I agree with you that he’s not on the verge of being fired.  Dan has ranted and raved on this board about it for weeks.  My argument here is why would Joe D bring in a rookie to run the offense if he’s going to be fired without showing improvement?

Some how Dan has avoided my point and turned this into a Burke verses someone else in the draft post.  Burke might be the best choice, but Dan’s whining over the last month isn’t supported by this pick.

• Jun 19, 201311:55 am
            by Huddy

I think the reason he is arguing over who else you would draft is because you are saying Dumars puts his job in jeopardy by choosing Burke in particular…but who is it you don’t think would put his job in jeopardy?  If there are no other consensus safer picks (or if Burke is at least on par with a couple players still available) how is Burke a huge risk?  Because hes a rookie and PGs are the most important part of the offense?  Weak argument, Jose is aging and expensive so if the team does not draft a PG Joe leaves the team in the hands in a young PG (BK) that already has been underwhelming (something Burke hasn’t done yet) or he finds a stop gap player in FA, which this year mostly consists of back ups from other teams.  You haven’t proven very well that Burke is anymore risky to Dumar’s job security than anyone else.  Given that maybe you could answer who this safer pick is that Joe could draft to not put himself in the risky position you think Burke would put him in as opposed to who is better.

• Jun 19, 20133:05 pm

Huddy,
            Jose is aging, but I have no idea whether he will be expensive. But if the Pistons do not draft Burke, my preference would be to go after Jeff Teague. He will never be an elite PG, but he is definitely good enough to be part of a contender’s core.

• Jun 19, 20133:17 pm
            by Huddy

@Tarsier
            Fair enough, even if Jose isn’t pricy he might be too old by the time the team is ready to contend but I actually like him.  Teague honestly came to mind as the only solid option long term, but I don’t see him leaving the Hawks.  Either way the bigger point was that Burke isn’t a much riskier prospect for Joe’s job security than any other, even 2 other possible PGs doesn’t make that false.  There are not many sure PG options in FA or the draft and the Pistons don’t have any currently (that aren’t FA) so making a choice like Burke isn’t some crazy gamble…Joe is the GM of a struggling developing team that can’t count on a playoff run because of any #8 pick in the draft so berating the point about Joe not risking his job on Burke “running the team” is wrong.  Not that you were the one doing so.

• Jun 18, 20134:24 pm
    by City of Klompton

I wouldn’t be opposed to drafting Burke, but I just don’t see it happening.

However, if it DOES happen, I think he could be a good pick in the long run.  College ball and the NBA are two completely different monsters, but one of the biggest things I think this Pistons team lacks is a strong leadership personality, and Burke could provide this immediately.  He is undersized and his athletic abilities haven’t quite matched up in workouts, but how much would we really be losing at that spot by drafting Burke?  Calderon is already a defensive liability.  Also, aside from the occasional hero-ball (which actually worked out a lot at UM), Burke is a very smart player, and an exceptionally hard worker.  At PG, you can make a player like Burke fit with nearly anybody (not named Carmelo Anthony.)

• Jun 18, 20134:31 pm
    by mike

Yes to Burke

• Jun 18, 20134:32 pm

If McCollum and Len go in the top 6 … and Noel,Porter, Mclemore go 1,2,3

I see Bennet with the tweener label falling…

I see Olapido with his lack of a jumper falling…

• Jun 18, 20134:42 pm
    by tiko

I’m nervous Joe’s gonna eff this pick up.. I like Burke but I kinda hope he’s not there at 8.. I still believe in Knight and we need a wing more than anything

• Jun 18, 20134:45 pm

yes, we do

• Jun 18, 20135:26 pm

Unless that wing is Oladipo, Porter, or McLemore, there is just no sane argument for taking him over Burke.

• Jun 18, 20135:01 pm
    by Thiago

Go BURKE!

• Jun 18, 20135:14 pm
    by Keith

This would be ideal, though of course so would any top player falling. I have said my piece before on Burke’s lack of athleticism, and I do think it will keep him from being a star. That said, we don’t necessarily need a star. We have the money to pursue a quality wing, and we have a solid frontcourt that needs the ball more.

I see Burke as the second coming of Andre Miller. Their actual games aren’t terrible similar, but hear me out. Miller has always been better than his individual box-score numbers, even though those numbers were always pretty good (highs of 17 ppg and 11 apg in different years). He did this by maximizing his skills within a team concept. Miller was never a shooter, but he had size, and he used it to become one of the best low-post guards ever. He was never truly a burner, but he would change direction, change speeds, and get defenders off balance in order to open up inconceivably easy shots for such a non-star player. Burke doesn’t have the footwork of Miller, but he does have the IQ. He is a significantly better shooter, and will utilize that much more to keep defenders honest and lanes open. Burke won’t be asked to carry the scoring load here, but he will have the opportunity to rack up assists if he can find the passing lanes. Burke will never be the fastest or best leaper, but he’s strong, and he can utilize that to push opponents off their spots – he can make himself feel bigger to guards trying to go around him.

If Burke embraces his inner Andre Miller, he will be every bit worth the 8th pick. He won’t be a superstar, or even a star. He might be perennially underrated, just as Miller has been. But, he’ll make the team better around him.

• Jun 19, 20138:01 am
      by oats

I still prefer the Mike Conley comparison, but I get where you are coming from.

• Jun 18, 20135:46 pm
    by danny

I wouldn’t mind taking him, depending on who is available.  I’ve never been one to talk about size if you can play you can play.  Does he try on defense, yes.  That’s a big difference between a person that can learn to play decent d  and a person who will get burnt.  I think he will be fine with our team.

• Jun 18, 20137:13 pm
    by Bob

According to Chad Ford, McLemore is slipping due to poor workouts, and he’s now in range for the pistons. I’d be thrilled if we got him.

• Jun 18, 20138:06 pm

If McLemore fell to the Pistons, that’d be phenomenal.

Then Dumars should go after Jeff Teague and either Iggy or Millsap along with one of Dunleavy/Wright/Budinger/Aminu/Clark.

• Jun 18, 20137:43 pm
    by MrShourite

At least we would have a competent PG who could run the offense and bring the ball up court without turning it over while dribbling it off his foot! Welcome Burke!

• Jun 18, 20137:49 pm
    by MrShourite

I’d rather put my team in the hands of a rookie that shows the ability to lead and run a team on the court than Knight. Crazy how some of the same people who are down on Burke act like Knight is the best thing since sliced bread! He hasn’t done anything to earn the starting job as pg for our team, if anything he got the job by default. Draft best talent avalible regardless of needs, and if that’s Burke then let the best pg win the starting position in training camp. Address the swing positions via trade or free agency.

• Jun 18, 20139:12 pm
    by Jordan

If Trey is available, Joe has to take him.  We need a true point guard far more than we need a wing player… or another big man or an undersized PF like Zeller.   We need a floor general who will make the offense easier for everyone, especially Andre & Moose… we need a point guard who has a pass first mentality, yet can create a shot when we need him to.  He will get better defensively, especially under coach Mo.

• Jun 18, 20139:37 pm
    by Swani

I have never been to a website that the writer gets so butt sore from the comments section. I have nothing against Dan but I for one come to this site just as much, If not more, for the comments as the articles. So he used the word ALL when he coulda/shoulda used MOST relax dude it really wasn’t that hard to figure out

• Jun 18, 20139:53 pm

“most” would also have been inaccurate. it simply would take more than one counter-example to overthrow it.

• Jun 18, 20139:40 pm
    by Swani

….that said take trey if he’s available (unless mclemore is on the board too, although that’s a new one for me…Figured the lowest he’d go is 5) keep the articles coming Dan. Best pistons website I’ve found so far

• Jun 18, 201310:06 pm
    by Swani

I disagree MOST of the “experts” have expressed their opinion that he will not be elite. That is why most mock drafts have Orlando (who NEEDS a pg) passing on him. Don’t get me wrong I will be doing cartwheels if he’s available at 8 but sure wouldn’t take him at 2 either

• Jun 19, 201312:41 am
    by Matt

Knight isn’t a SG. He had his butt kicked the second half of last year trying . Burke just looks like Knight part 2 to me. Either way 5 years of stupidity has made me skeptical. I’m going out on my fragile limb and saying we will draft a bust and I’ll tell you why. Everyone in this draft is a project. What is the A number 1 thing you need to make a project work? A good coach. We continue to refuse to pay for one so I’m going to bet that whoever we draft won’t ever get any better. Just like Darko, Stuckey, Knight, every 2nd round pick, Daye, Teyshaun after Flip left the list goes on. Interestingly the ones that do well are the ones that leave. Personally I would add Monroe too since he is still a crap defender with no jumper and an awkward drive to the rim.

• Jun 19, 20131:15 am
      by jacob

your glass isn’t half empty. It’s empty haha

• Jun 19, 20138:12 am
      by oats

Knight didn’t exactly get a lot of time at shooting guard. He played it reasonably well at first, but things fell apart after Calderon’s injury. After that he played some point guard, but eventually we settled on having Stuckey run the point. I think it’s reasonably likely that Knight struggled because he was in a new position and his point guard sucked. That’s not a crazy supposition. He’s also streaky enough that I’m not convinced he’s a starting anything, but I think he is far more likely to be a shooting guard than a point guard. I suspect he’s neither though, and is really a combo guard that shouldn’t play either position exclusively. I don’t know if I get why this matters though. Knight hasn’t proven he can start anywhere, so he really shouldn’t factor in to the decision making process that heavily.

Also, how does Burke remind you of Knight? Knight is bad at playing point guard because he can’t pass or dribble, and those are kind of critical skills for point guards. Burke has neither of those problems. He is the best player in the draft at getting assists without turning it over. That means has very little in common with Knight. Knight was a project because he had to learn a brand new skill set. Burke already has it.

• Jun 19, 201311:49 am
        by Matt

Burke is a small guy who with an ability to score. His potential is really high in that regard. Hears my comparison though, they are both really small, so driving becomes difficult against bigger defenders. Burke isn’t left handed and it showed. He turned it over a lot driving to the rim and trying pass with his left hand. Granted Knights a walking turnover but with our paint constantly being clogged that risk is there. Plus a clogged lane with a small PG equals injuries. Worse case scenario is we will chose who starts based on who’s healthy. Lastly I don’t think Knight is a shooting guard. Especially if we draft Burke. We would be too smal and have 3 defensive liabilities without a lot of scoring, unless you think Burke is Westbrook. Even then I don’t think we’d score enough.
        I won’t deny Burke has star potential but I am saying is we tend to mishandle rookies and try to make them something completely different then who they are. This falls on us not always them.

• Jun 19, 201311:54 pm
          by oats

Quick, how tall were Dumars and Thomas? I’ll answer that for you, 6’3″ and 6’1″. Knight and Burke? 6’3″ and 6’1″. That’s a little besides the point. What has Knight done to justify being taken into account with the draft decisions? I’ve seen nothing. He looks like a bench player to me, and you don’t worry about bench players when trying to draft a starter.

As for handling rookies, if the team consistently mishandles them then that would be an argument to not draft anyone then. Besides, it’s not that hard to properly use Burke. Run a lot of pick and rolls, let him push the pace occasionally, and don’t be afraid of letting him shoot. The team also should have some off ball action after he does entry passes to Monroe since Burke excelled in catch and shoot situations, and Monroe is pretty good at the kick out pass. Burke’s skill set is so easy to manage that this should be seen as a strength of his.

• Jun 20, 201311:09 am
            by Matt

We don’t have the option of not drafting anyone or I’d ship it out to Denver for Chandler and Knight out to New York for Raymond Felton or Iman Shumpert. Then Stuckey for Afflalo. Don’t worry I know none of these work it’s a dream. I’m not really sold on anyone in this draft. I think the best players will be starters but no main franchise players. I think Burke is the best for us because of Drummond. Drummond worked well with Bynum because all he did was push the pace and run pick and rolls.
            On a side note did you just compare Burke and Knight to Thomas and Dumars. The latter was a bit more skilled to handle the mismatch. That doesn’t work with Knight and Burke to small we need to pick one or the other. Plus I think sacramento will take Burke. Orlando trading down from 2 and taking him also. Then the question is Knight or MCW.

• Jun 20, 20132:42 pm
            by oats

The Thomas and Dumars point is that the problem is less in height than in ability. Knight doesn’t project as a starter at the two because he isn’t good enough, not because he is too small to play the position.

• Jun 20, 20136:49 pm
            by Matt

I don’t think Knight is strong enough for SG. He got bullied last year. There are a few he could stay in front of but most are going to outsize him. I look more at 189lbs than 6’3.

• Jun 19, 20135:22 am
    by Wolverines23

I’d be okay with Trey Burke, but we should seriously look at KCP and Shabazz, only because they can be lethal to our offense. I’d be happy with Calderon running the team with KCP or Shabazz alongside him, and Knight off the bench. If Tony Parker at his age can keep playing well, then why do people have a problem with Calderon’s age? I agree he’s not a great defender, but he is an elite PG.

Also, I know Knight hasn’t proven anything at the PG position, and he has shown potential as a scorer/defender, so I’d wait for him to get settled with Mo Cheeks system during training camp, and if the coaching staff feels that he can run the team, then I’d like to see that. I don’t agree with people claiming he’s a 2 or should start as our SG. If he’s starting it has to be at the 1, that is where he can be most effective with his size, defensive abilities, and scoring, now if he can just work on his passing, court vision, and PG skills, we’d be okay. But yeah, Joe D can’t keep drafting combo guards and trying to make them into our starting PG (Rodney Stuckey, Brandon Knight), that’s why I say yes to Trey Burke (a guy who can give you minimum 15pts 6ast every night), and no to C.J. McCollum, and probably even no to MCW (agree that he is unique, but so was Austin Daye?)

That being said, a young Trey Burke would be more of a longterm asset alongside Drummond and Monroe. We could always make smaller upgrades to SF positon in Corey Brewer, Martel Webster, etc. I hope we don’t waste our money on O.J. Mayo or Iggy. At shooting guard, we can try out Knight, really would love for Kim English to improve and get some minutes as well. I also feel that Middleton will be really effective off the bench at SF, as well as Kyle Singler. Small moves are the key to next year!

• Jun 19, 20138:20 am
      by oats

Knight is not nearly a good enough scorer to make up for his other deficiencies at the point. He is much closer to being a starting quality player at the 2. Personally I’m not advocating starting Knight anywhere. I want him as a 6th man.

As for Calderon and Parker, the difference is that the Pistons are a young team that isn’t a contender yet while Parker’s team is about to go to game 7 in the finals. The Pistons are unlikely to be contenders until Drummond begins to hit his peak, and given his age that is likely not going to happen in the next 3 years. By the time the team is good, Calderon will be at least 35. It makes more sense to find a younger partner that will be a longer term fit for the team. I feel like it’s really dumb that I haven’t mentioned the other problem with this idea. Parker is a way better player than Calderon. As he declines due to age, so will Calderon, and he will likely remain a much better player than Calderon. I probably should have led with that fact, but I wanted to center the argument around the Pistons.

• Jun 19, 20137:26 am
    by greg

I’m not high on burke. n.knight either is a starting pg or a 6th man not more and not less. if joe.d believes he can develop into a starting pg then play him there, if not then the pistons should trade him for a starting caliber wing. with burke the hole pg thing would restart from the beginning and thats not what we need…draft KCP and start him alongside knight and look what you got in middleton

• Jun 19, 20137:51 am

Scenario

1. Noel
    2.Burke
    3.Porter
    4.Mclemore
    5.McCollum
    6.Len
    7.Bennett /Oladipo /
    8. Oladipo / Bennett

• Jun 19, 20138:33 am
      by oats

It could happen, but I really don’t think it will. I really think Oladipo is going to the Magic, and then they will try to shop Afflalo for a point guard. There is supposed to be serious interest in flipping him for Bledsoe, and that just makes a lot of sense to me. So I’d flip Oladipo and Burke on the board. If the Magic don’t go with Oladipo, I think he goes to Phoenix. They’ve been talking up the fact that their new GM is from Boston and wants the team to be aggressive defensively, and Oladipo seems like a really obvious fit for them. What Phoenix does if they miss on Noel, Oladipo, Porter, and McLemore is a mystery to me. McCollum seems like a likely pick, and they’d make him a SG. Bennett and Len are probably the other strong candidates, but I’m not going to pretend like I have a good feel for that decision.

• Jun 19, 201310:55 am
        by I HATE FRANK

Also….I believe Ben Mclemore could Slip…

His Situation reminds me of Paul Pierce…

He is declining workouts… He is coming to workouts out of shape…he is being call soft…He declined to go head to head with Shabazz and Olapido in workouts….

So it could go this way

1. Noel / Len
        2. Olapido
        3. Porter
        4. Len / Noel
        5. Bennett/ McCollum
        6. Burke / Cody Zeller
        7. Carter-williams
        8. Mclemore

• Jun 19, 201311:57 pm
          by oats

I’ve heard the same thing. I think it’s at least partially a smoke screen though. I find it even more unlikely that McLemore slides that far than the others. If he does, that is a dream scenario for the Pistons.

• Jun 19, 201311:04 am
        by jacob

If Orlando passes on Burke which I think they will. Too many good players up there. Then that leaves the Pelicans, I don’t know why they would draft another PG. That would mean they have completely given up on Rivers, because they also have Vasquez. Then you have SAC. No idea what they do. I would take Zeller if I was them. I also heard Shabazz and MCW could be options. So I have been thinking all along Orlando was most likely to take him, but 2 is just a little to high when you can possibly get Noel, Oladipo or Mclemore. I always thought that Burke or Bennet would be the 2 that could fall. Bennet just has too much upside to fall to 8. So that leaves Burke and that would be great for the Pistons.

• Jun 19, 20131:41 pm

@ Oats,Tarseir, NickB …and whoever else

In The last 2-3 Weeks, Shabazz has changed mind about him and his game…once again Mock Drafts dont represent what he has been doing in Workouts..and this is not Cherry picking… Experts, Coaches, Gms and Writers

So when I talk up Shabazz i have sorces, that are talking about where Shabazz is right NOW as a players, that why its hard to take you guys serious when you are still talking about his attitude and him being selfish in college, or saying what he couldnt do when he is doing it now. Then when you realize he is performing under pressure probably more than any other draft prospect it just makes it that more impressive

Off-the-court issues have hounded Muhammad, however, including an investigation into improper benefits while at UCLA, the revelation that he was 20 and not 19 as the Bruins believed, and reports that his father is in house arrest because of federal fraud charges.

Opinions vary on his game, too, although Hornacek said “you look at him and go, ‘That guy offensively can do some things.’ ”
    McDonough said the team has done extensive background research on Muhammad and “he checked out very well. I think a lot of the perception of Shabazz is unfair based on the information we’ve gathered.
    “I think he’s one of hardest workers in the draft.”

In need of someone who can spark their offense, new Suns’ coach Jeff Hornacek was pleased with the number of different things Muhammad displayed that can do on that side of the court.

Muhammad is finally getting the chance to try and erase the bad taste his freshman season at UCLA left with some scouts. He’s worked out in Phoenix, Philadelphia and Sacramento and heads to Minnesota, Portland and then Utah. The feedback from his workouts has been very positive. “He really competes,” one GM said. “He’s not backing down. The guy still carries himself like he’s a top pick, which I really like.” Of the teams he’s worked out for, the Wolves seem to be the highest on him.” – Chad Ford, ESPN.com

Question is Shabazz Underrated? (SF Position)

Bilas:Yes. Muhammad has some question marks. He is a bit undersized, unskilled as a perimeter player and not a polished defender. But he is a tough-minded transition player who can attack the basket and will work his tail off to be good.
    Muhammad was injured most of last season and got a late start at UCLA. But when he got healthy, he was in better shape and did well. I think he will bounce back from a disappointing season and work hard to be a good pro.

I don’t see Muhammad as a superstar, but I think he is a lottery pick and will do well in the NBA.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1671637-nba-podcast-jay-bilas-answers-biggest-questions-heading-into-2013-nba-draft - Jay Bilas ( Calls Shabazz underrated Top 10 Talent….around 10mins)

Everyone hasan opinion on Shabazz Muhammad. He’s selfish. He’s one-dimensional. He can’t playa role. Yet s the draft inches closer, more nd more team executives reconcluding that the UCLA freshman may be too good to pass up.At least in this draft,anyway.

“Does he havea ceiling? Probably,”an Eastern Conference executive said. “But it just seems like peopleare looking to find things wrong with him. You can’t expect that he is going to bea superstar, but he is going to beable to score.And how many guys in this draft can you say thatabout?” – Chris Mannix

p://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20130614/nba-mock-draft-2013-shabazz-muhammad/#ixzz2WgWOOReI

He’s a natural scorer,” Flip Saunders tells FOX Sports North. “He’s gonna find a way. He’s gonna score. You can put him in the gym with whoever’s playing, he’s gonna find a way to get 14, 15 points somehow. That’s just what he does. It might not be the prettiest way he does it, but he’s gonna find a way. And … that’s a given talent.”

Ex-UCLA forward @phenom15balla had a strong workout and interview with the @SacramentoKings, sources told Y! Sports. Kings have 7th pick.

From what I can gather, UCLA forward Shabazz Muhammad had the best workout, though the Kings weren’t particularly high on him prior to that. The team loved Carter-Williams before he came in, but weren’t impressed with his workout. Sounds as if Trey Burke isn’t particularly high on their list, either. Ditto for C.J. McCollum – Chad Ford

Muhammad’s stock is all over the place. But then again, so are the Celtics. He could go as high as No. 7 to the Kings or No. 9 to the Wolves or even No. 12 to the Thunder or No. 14 to the Jazz. But if he does slide this far, it’s hard to see Danny Ainge passing on him. There’s just too much talent there, and what the Celtics are going to need — if they really are going into full rebuilding mode — is more talent – Chad Ford

• Jun 19, 20133:26 pm

None of what I have said has to do with where Bazz will be drafted. It has to do with my opinion of how good a player he is likely to be. I would be delighted to see him go top 7 because that increases the odds that someone I want is taken by Detroit.

• Jun 19, 20135:38 pm
        by I HATE FRANK

Its not about where he will be drafted, its about his talent not be evaluated or valued correctly even though facts were presented… He in many opinion is the most skilled-offensive player in this draft…

If we get Shabazz…because of his improvement as a player and his drive to improve ….I’d be very Happy with him @ the 8th pick

• Jun 20, 201312:10 am
      by oats

Nothing in there in any way contradicts anything I’ve ever said about Muhammad. He’s a scorer, but not necessarily an efficient one. He’s a solid athlete, but not a great one. He was a bad college defender, but he should improve to a mediocre one if he is willing to put the effort in on that side of the ball. He is good on the offensive boards, but is a poor defender for a SF. If he’s a SG his rebounding is a total plus, at the 3 his poor defensive rebounding would be potential problem. He doesn’t pass much, but his knack for scoring without dominating the ball is really valuable. He projects as a solid role player, a guy that carry some of the scoring load but not contribute a ton outside of that. He should go in the lottery, but that doesn’t mean he’s a good pick for the Pistons. I don’t think he’d be a bad pick either, at least not if the top 6 players are gone. I think KCP is a better fit for Detroit, but not a significantly better talent. Shabazz should be a good but not great pro player.

• Jun 20, 20139:43 am
    by I HATE FRANK

@oats i had a longer response but it got deleted

But it wasnt to contradict anything you have said, I will like i’ve already proven many of you wrong several times, and you have proven me wrong a few times. The point was Shabazz is a top player in this draft. I stand firm that he is a top 5 talent in this draft, and when its all said and done he has a great chance to become the best player out of this draft.

But to clear something up

So will he just be a solid role player or a good pro player? (or is it the same?)

• Jun 20, 20133:17 pm
      by oats

Both. Role players, as I define them, are anyone who are not star players. I use star player a little loosely, and would define it as anyone who is not capable of being a top 2 player for a fringe contender. For example, Tyson Chandler counts as a star but J.R. Smith is a role player. I use that one for a reason, J.R. Smith is about what I’d expect from Muhammad if he pans out as a player. It’s not quite his absolute ceiling, but it’s definitely towards the high ends of his expectations.

I feel like I should point out that those quotes don’t mean those people are as high on Shabazz as you are. I know Bilas has been talking up Muhammad a bit, but he also has him outside his top 6. Minnesota is very strongly rumored to be going KCP over Muhammad, although I admit that could be a smokescreen. Ford has him outside his top 10 on his draft board.

• Jun 21, 20132:15 am
    by I HATE FRANK

Ford has been waiting for Shabazz to fail…he is extremely bias…honestly with of his recent articles it almost seems like its personal…

Both Jalen Rose and Bill Simmons have praised shabazz and his game as well