Trey Burke sees Pistons as his floor

NEW YORK – Trey Burke anticipates being picked between No. 2 and No. 8 in tomorrow’s NBA Draft. In other words, he doesn’t expect to drop lower than the Pistons, who hold the eighth pick.

Most players would be disappointed to fall to the bottom of their range – but not Burke.

“I think it’s definitely an advantage," Burke said. “Like you said, with the fanbase that I had at at Michigan, I’m sure I would gain more fans if I was to go to Detroit. So, I definitely think it’s an advantage. Obviously, I’m familiar with the whole state of Michigan now. I’ll be looking forward to going to the Pistons, if I’m still available.”

Burke met with the Pistons, and though he didn’t work out for them, he said they probably would have preferred he did. Instead, Burke met with Joe Dumars – whom Burke knows from playing with Dumars’ son, Jordan, at Michigan – and other members of the of organization he hadn’t met before.

“Everyone else just wanted to get a chance to find out who I was." Burke said. “I explained my whole life and how I got involved in playing basketball and the whole Michigan experience and what I think I could bring to the team and what I think I need to work on.  It was a great meeting as a whole. I had a good time.

“When I left, I think they all had a sense of who I was off the court.”

And on the court? Burke said the Pistons didn’t stress the fact that he didn’t work out for them.

“They said that they got a chance to see me all year,” Burke said.

• Jun 26, 20135:13 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Nuffin against Burke…but really like him in Detroit …

But if it does happen I just hope for the best

• Jun 26, 20135:21 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

“I really do not like him in Detroit”

• Jun 27, 20131:24 am
      by Filo Putz

I’m predicting we’ll see a draft day trade with a team seeking salary cap relief!

• Jun 26, 20135:59 pm
    by Vic

Gonna be a great draft!
    BurKe, Bennett, and KCp have no question marks on if they can play their roles (pg to space the floor and feed the hungry bigs, backup microwave stretch 4, confident scoring and defending shooting guard).

Id be excited with eitheR of the three.

CJM an MCW have question marks in their games…, So I’d be a little bit less excited about them. Can CJ pass? Can MCW shoot? But shooting can be improved, and CJ seems extremely basketball smart, so there’s still hope if we get either of those two.

But if we get either of the three players in our range without ?s, Then it’s going to be a very good year next year. And if Otto porter falls I’m having a party.

• Jun 26, 20136:07 pm
    by bball4224

I’m so excited, and I just can’t hide it!

If we somehow got McLemore or Burke I would die, those are the two I want most in the draft and both have suddenly started to see their stock fall.

• Jun 26, 20137:57 pm
      by Sop

ditto that. If Burke falls that’s nice. But if McLemore falls it would be a middle-of-the-livingroom-dance-worthy experience. Trying not to get hopes up since it would be beyond insane.

• Jun 26, 20136:57 pm
    by Filo Putz

As I’ve stated on other posts I just don’t think Burke is the right direction. Of Course this all became more complicated when the pistons won 4 of their last 5 and went from picking 5th to 8th. Selecting at eight Burke could very well be the best player available.  The Pistons have so many needs that to focus on Knight not performing as well as hoped is in my opinion not productive. Since he never had dependable relief valves at the 2 or the 3 to take some of the pressure off him by knocking down open shots it forced him to try and do too much. This definitely hurt his progression as the team leader. I just don’t see where adding another undersized pg to the roster helps more than improving at the 2, the 3, and a rotational 4-5 gets them.

• Jun 26, 20139:29 pm
      by Russell C

Burke is a leader and has cajones. He can become that thing they have been missing.

• Jun 27, 20138:17 am

So all they’ve been missing is a player with testicles?

• Jun 27, 20138:40 am

And I would have thought that if anything, they just hinder your crossover.

• Jun 26, 20137:32 pm
    by Carl

I would take either Burke or McCollum.  They both can shoot from 3 and are scorers.  With Drummond and Monroe clogging the paint we really are going to need outside shooting. The Pistons really need scoring and MCW isn’t known for that.  Not sure why some fans doubt that a Pistons backcourt of Knight + Burke/McCollum can’t work due to size.  There were numerous playoff teams that started 6’3 & under backcourts.  NY (Prigioni & Felton) CHI (Robinson & Hinrich) BOS (Bradley & Rondo if he wasn’t hurt) LAC (Billups & CP3)  HOU (Beverly & Lin)

• Jun 26, 20137:42 pm
    by mshansky

What I have observed in many of these posts is an exaggerated anticipation of what these potential draftees will contribute to next season’s team. The problem I see is that the current configuration of the team is so weak in almost every way, compared to most of the other teams in the NBA, that any addition is viewed as making a significant difference. The Pistons will not be better next  season, they will be different, starting to rebuild the “personality” of the entire team, in addtion to the talent level, desire to actually compete, and a vision which will enable them to add components in future years. This change, which I hope will manifest itself next season, will put the team on a path to ultimate success. Meanwhile, patience and reduced expectations are more appropriate, I think, for the 2013-2014 season. I hope that they can show competitiveness on a nightly basis (cheeks’charge), and show a team personality that will provide hope for the future.

• Jun 26, 20139:25 pm
      by Russell C

I don’t see why they cant make a big jump next season with a good draft and wise spending of the cap space. I don’t know why you guys think free agents won’t come to Detroit when the other three sports teams don’t seem to have a problem with it. Its the same city where Fielder, Verlander, Cabrera, Megatron, Suh, Datsyuk and others play.

• Jun 27, 201312:56 am
        by CityofKlompton

Of all the athletes you mentioned, only one (Fielder) wasn’t acquired via draft or a trade.  Also, Fielder had ties to Detroit and the Tigers organization previously due to his father (Cecil.). Not exactly any good examples to back up your opinion.  Name the last major FA to sign with the Pistons…. (and please don’t say Chauncey Billups. (Was not a major FA))

• Jun 27, 20132:53 am
          by Russell C

Aren’t several of those guys working on their second contracts? If it was so awful in Detroit would they not have just bailed at their first opportunity? My point is players will go where the money is.

• Jun 27, 20132:56 pm
            by City of Klompton

It is typically a lot easier to re-sign a guy than it is to sign a guy.  Also, when you’re in a good situation such as all above mentioned players (Tigers = winning, Red Wings = winning/one of classiest organizations in sports, Megatron is in a high-powered offense with a stellar quarterback and Suh’s attitude and mentality fit with the city incredibly well), it will take a lot to pry them away.

• Jun 27, 20138:47 am

How many recent years has Detroit had money to sign a major FA? Obviously there were the terrible 2009 signings, but would anyone that offseason have qualified as a “major FA”? When you’re 0 for 0, it’s hard to draw many conclusions.

• Jun 27, 20139:26 am
          by G

Keep in mind that while they were TERRIBLE signings, Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva were the top 2 free agents available in 2009. Detroit SLIGHTLY overpaid Gordon (he was a 20 ppg score the previous 3 or 4 years) to pull him away from Chicago and WAY overpaid Charlie V because, well, I’m not sure.

Anyway, with a little more judicious spending, the Pistons can probably bring in a 2nd tier FA or 2 without overspending TOO much. Again, Gordon was barely an overpayment at the time (until he crapped out). Detroit is somewhat of a less desirable landing place now that they haven’t made the playoffs in 3 years, but stop it with this “no good FA come to Detroit” stuff.

• Jun 27, 20139:47 am

CV was because he had just had a fantastic season. He had put up 16, 7, and 2 with solid D on 45/35/84. He never approached that contract year performance again, but at the time I could see someone thinking he had just turned a corner. He was a young player who still potentially had room for improvement, but even if he just maintained hat level of play, he would have been a bargain. Unfortunately, he came nowhere close.

• Jun 27, 20139:50 am

Also, I would argue for David Lee as the top FA in that year. Especially fit-wise with Hamilton still on the roster and Sheed and Dyess leaving.

• Jun 27, 201310:46 am
            by G

Obviously a matter of opinion. I always liked Lee (if you can partner him with a good defensive big), but many considered Gordon the marquee FA that year.

• Jun 27, 20132:41 pm
            by City of Klompton

I’m not arguing that no good FA’s are going to come to Detroit.  However, I see it as unlikely that we get a major signing.  A second tier guy?  Absolutely possible, but the odds are not in our favor as far as signing a marquee guy.

• Jun 27, 20133:04 pm
            by City of Klompton

I would also say that when we signed CV and Gordon, we didn’t have quite as much competition, as far as other teams with cap space goes.  Plus, a lot of teams that did have cash or were in destination cities were hoarding as much cash as they could in the hopes of signing one of the several marquee free agents in 2010 (Lebron James/Chris Bosh/Amare Stoudemire/Dwayne Wade/Dirk Nowitzki/Joe Johnson, etc., etc., etc.)

• Jun 27, 201310:57 am
          by Huddy

Prince Fielder had ties to Detroit?  LOL.

“My father is dead to me.” – Prince Fielder 2004.

• Jun 27, 201311:22 am
            by G

Yeah, but Dombrowski scouted him back in the day & they wanted to draft him. There was contact with Fielder & the organization prior to his free agency.

• Jun 27, 201312:22 pm
            by Huddy

Having him on the draft board and scouting him previously doesn’t give him “ties to the team” in the way Cityof Klompton was acting.  Everyone scouted Lebron…that wouldn’t give him ties to every organization.  I was just saying his dad playing for the team wasn’t a tie that drew Fielder to the team when he otherwise wouldn’t have, it didn’t give the Tigers an edge.  He hates his dad and I don’t feel like searching for an article, but I am 90% positive I read reports about him actually being far less inclined to play for the Tigers because of the dislike for his dad and not wanting to follow in his foot steps so to speak.  In the end the right size contract gets the job done and athletes are aware of team potential not to mention none of them live in inner city projects in Detroit as some people make it sound when discussing how unappealing all Detroit teams are.

• Jun 27, 20132:49 pm
            by City of Klompton

Prince obviously spent a few years of his childhood living in Detroit.  It is also a well-known fact that he was a regular around the clubhouse while Cecil played for the Tigers.  He had some familiarity with the organization.

• Jun 27, 20133:05 pm
            by City of Klompton

It also helps that the Tigers were already in a fairly good position to be a contender.  The Pistons on the other hand…

• Jun 27, 20133:51 pm
            by Huddy

Being around the club house with his dad that he hated and never wanting to be associated with (the dad who he feels like is a dead beat) is still not a solid argument for why he would want to be a tiger, like his dead beat dad.  Familiarity like he has seen the facilities?  IMO that wouldn’t make up for avoiding the memory and association with a hated parent.

Being a contender is a different argument.  That makes perfect sense and is something that athletes really do care a lot about when choosing a destination.  I mostly have a problem with how many speak as if the city itself is what keeps players away, because that is just not true.  I would never say Detroit is cooler than Miami/LA/NY or anything, but athletes with half a brain value where a team is going, how much they can get paid, and how they fit on a team much more than how cool the city they don’t have time to party in during the season is.

• Jun 27, 20135:15 pm
            by CityofKlompton

I agree with you in that respect.  If the Pistons were contenders, or in a reasonably good position to become a serious contender, and they had this kind of cap space they could absolutely persuade a marquee player to come here.  This isn’t currently the case, or even close to it, so I simply cannot see it happening anytime soon.

• Jun 26, 20138:15 pm
    by Jeremy J.

Is there a draft party at the Palace tomorrow?

• Jun 26, 20138:29 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Anyone Watching the NBATV mock Draft?

• Jun 26, 20139:31 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

Greg Anthony woukd make a good coach

• Jun 26, 20138:34 pm
    by Pistons87

Amen. The draft will not significantly alter this team next year. Only way this team can make a large jump is through acquiring multiple good players via trades and free agency (doubtful)

• Jun 26, 20139:34 pm
      by Russell C

Is it doubtful that they will target the right players or doubtful that players will want to come to Detroit. I think people may want to come play with Drummond and Monroe.

• Jun 26, 20138:35 pm
    by RyanK

I’m not ruling out Noel, Burke, Bennett, or McLemore.  For god sake, I watched Paul Pierce slide to 10 or 11…one place ahead of where the Pistons would have taken him.  The entire draft commentators were talking about Pierce sliding, saying they can’t believe he’s still available.  We’re going to get a good player.  Once of the above will be available to us at 8…I’m making the call now.

This draft is exciting because there’s no clear cut order.  Most the time we know who the top 1-3, 1-5 are…this time it seems to be up for grabs.

• Jun 26, 20138:41 pm
    by @Pistons87

HOw is it doubtful that they won’t get a nice peice in frre agency? They can and most def will target someone…

• Jun 26, 20138:43 pm
    by Go blue

Draft Burke if he is on the board at 8

• Jun 26, 20139:11 pm
    by Filo Putz

I’m assuming the Piston’s still will trade from the group, Maggette, Calderon, Bynum and Maxiell before free agency begins. Probably either tomorrow or the day after.

• Jun 26, 20139:26 pm
      by Russell C

I don’t think they can do that.

• Jun 26, 20139:49 pm
        by Filo Putz

Why not? There still under contract till July 1 aren’t they?

• Jun 26, 201310:54 pm
          by Travis

Teams can’t trade free agents. Teams can only do sign-and-trades with free agents.

• Jun 26, 201311:08 pm
            by Filo Putz

Those guys aren’t free agents till July 1!

• Jun 26, 201311:39 pm

They are already FAs. They can’t be signed until July. This is the offseason. It is neither the 2012-13 season nor 2013-14 season.

• Jun 27, 201310:21 am
            by G

All these players are considered free agents right as of the end of the season. They can’t BARGAIN until July 1, they can’t sign until July 8, and a percentage of their salary counts against the Pistons’ cap (unless Detroit renounces their cap hold) until a new contract is signed.

• Jun 27, 20131:00 am
          by CityofKlompton

Why would somebody trade a piece away for somebody they can sign days later?  This makes no sense.

Wait, is this David Kahn?

• Jun 27, 20131:07 am
            by Filo Putz

For cap space relief. They won’t sign the guy they trade for.

• Jun 27, 20139:12 am

Dan or Patrick,

I can’t remember such a trade ever happening. But I’m not really sure whether it is allowable or not. Do you know?

Can you trade a deal that’s expiring a couple days later on draft night? Or are they already expired?

• Jun 27, 201310:22 am
            by G

I’m pretty sure they are considered free agents after their team’s last game is played, but they can’t bargain for a new contract until July 1. You can’t trade a free agent.

• Jun 27, 201310:34 am

that was my understanding

• Jun 27, 201310:37 am
            by G

Here’s the actual rule:
            All trades end after the trade deadline. When the team’s season ends, it can begin trading but cannot trade players whose contracts are ending or could end due to an option or ETO.

So no, the Pistons can’t trade Calderon, Maggette, Bynum or Maxiell.

• Jun 27, 201312:25 pm
      by Dan Feldman

Teams can no longer trade players who can or will become free agents July 1.

• Jun 26, 201310:34 pm
    by Giles

I didn’t know billups field goal percentage was so low…..

• Jun 27, 20139:09 am

Yeah, I had a discussion with someone on here recently about who was the best player on the ’04 championship squad. That sub .400 FG% is a key reason why I would take Ben over Chauncey.

• Jun 26, 201311:51 pm
    by Filo Putz

They become free agents july 1. They can’t be signed till july 10.

• Jun 27, 20132:57 am
      by Russell C

there are still rules in place that would count against the team’s salary cap if their rights are not renounced by a certain day.

• Jun 27, 20133:38 am
        by Filo Putz

What day? Quote the rule you’re speaking about.

• Jun 27, 20138:51 am

He’s talking about Bird rights. But that wouldn’t matter. Because these are guys whose Bird rights would be renounced in a heartbeat anyway.

• Jun 27, 20139:39 am
          by Keith

Every free agent has a cap hold based on their previous salary until 1) a team renounces their rights to that player or 2) that player signs with another team. There is no limit on when 1 has to happen, but 2 could occur any time after July 10th of this year. The cap hold for restricted free agents is between 2 and 2.5 times the player’s previous salary, the cap hold for veterans is about 1.5 times their salary in the previous year.

Again, teams can choose to renounce (or not) the rights on their free agents at any time after the season ends. Teams generally do not actually do this until they need that money to officially sign a new contract (either with their own FA or a new one). They do this because it retains some leverage with their FAs, while not actually stopping a team from negotiating new contracts or worrying about the cap/tax (as those are no longer important after the season ends).

• Jun 27, 201310:42 am
          by G

Yeah, Bird Rights are something else that actually mitigates the cap hold. Every unrenounced free agent has a cap hold, Bird Rights enable a team to sign other free agents without the Bird Rights salary counting as much against their cap.

• Jun 27, 20139:56 am
    by zdh

Burke can basically be Jose if they got him they wouldnt need to resign jose, save some cash for next year when better FA are available. need to be like the mavericks were this year and only sign guys to short 1 to 2 year deals. burke would be a great fit.