Trey Burke on Suns, Kings workouts: ‘I nailed them both’

Alex Kennedy of HoopsWorld:

Burke believes he had his best workouts with the Phoenix Suns and Sacramento Kings.

“I think my workouts in Phoenix and Sacramento stood out,” Burke said. “I felt really good about those. I mean, I felt good about all of my workouts, but those are the two that really stood out specifically. I nailed them both and I’m sure that they both liked me. They gave me positive feedback. Like I said, we’ll see on Thursday where I end up.”

As far as I know, Trey Burke has worked out only for teams picking before the Pistons. So, logically, his best workouts had to come for a team that could pick him before Detroit did.

But, hopefully, he didn’t do quite as well as he thinks he did. According to Chad Ford, the Kings aren’t particularly high on Burke.

A key to Burke falling to Detroit very well could be whether a top-four player the Suns like falls to them at No. 5.

• Jun 25, 20139:52 am
    by RyanK

Another way of looking at this is who these teams have on their roster currently.  Last I saw neither team was in the market for a PG.  Anything can happen on draft night…a consensus top tier player could slide to us as a result of someone taking Burke ahead of us.  Noel or McLemore might be there at 8 and we’ll be glad someone took Burke instead.

I don’t see Burke as a too good to pass on PG.  He might be the best player in this draft, but the league is full of good point guards.  Can Burke someday become what’s considered a top 5 PG in the league?  I look around the league at players like Westbrook, Wall, Rose, Rondo, Paul, Williams, Parker, Holiday, Vasquez, Curry and I wonder if he’ll ever scratch the top ten…

• Jun 25, 201310:51 am
      by Huddy

Half the top players you mention will be on the decline by the time Burke is prime age really.  Because they are so good I don’t think they will be deteriorate into nothing, but athleticism going down will take a lot of these guys back from elite.

I agree with your first statement.  I don’t see how in the world Phoenix drafts another PG when they have Dragic playing well and Marshall still developing.   They need everything more than PG and while I don’t advocate fit over talent I think with a top 5 pick in such an evenly dispersed draft they will fill one of the other holes in their line up.

• Jun 25, 20131:34 pm
        by KaBa

Well I would rather love seeing them take Burke, and afterwards the Pistons maybe somehow trading for Dragic. Really like his style of playing.

• Jun 25, 201310:55 am
      by Blocks by Dre

i can’t see Burke being able to successfully even guard half the guards you just mentioned (Wall, Westbrook, Rose, Vasquez, Williams) but hopefully he proves me wrong cause Burke’s my favorite player in the draft to be honest. I just don’t know about his height issues. Any team that takes him over Ben and Victor have serious front office issues

• Jun 25, 201311:24 am
        by Huddy

Burke is really right in the average range for NBA PGs so waiting for a PG to be as skilled as Burke and be 6’3″+ is really just unrealistic.  I don’t see much sense in lamenting that a guard as skilled as Burke is “only” average height.  I would rather bet on his skill making average athleticism work than have a guy like MCW who is tall and hope he raises his talent level considerably.

• Jun 25, 201310:59 am

The Suns have Dragic. He’s a pretty good player. But how are the Kings not in the market for a PG? Isaiah Thomas was a steal in the second round, but he is not good enough to be influencing personnel decisions.

I’m not seeing Noel or McLemore falling to 8. But if one of them does, I don’t think there will be many Pistons fans disappointed about not landing Burke.

• Jun 25, 201311:43 am
        by sop

Not only do the Suns have Dragic but they drafted Kendall Marshall in the Lottery last year. Doubt they take Burke or any other PG.

• Jun 25, 201312:58 pm

True. I forgot about Marshall. But PG is still a need for Sacramento.

• Jun 25, 20131:26 pm
            by RyanK

Chad Ford just posted that the kings are not high on Burke.  I was pointing to Isaiah Thomas and Tyreke Evans as reasons the Kings would select for another need instead.  Point guard, backup point guard seem to be settled there unless they’re going to move one or two of these players…unlikely coming off Isaiah’s rookie year that they’re going to take him out of the drivers seat.

If they’re not high on Burke, it doesn’t seem like he’s going to cause a roster upheaval to make room.

• Jun 25, 20132:05 pm

Reke looks like far from a sure thing to stay in Sacramento. And he doesn’t usually play the point anyway.

Thomas is not a starting caliber player. It would be stupid to make lottery draft decisions based on having a player of his caliber already on your roster.

The Kings not liking Burke is a fine point, but PG is an area of need.

• Jun 25, 20139:56 am
    by mike

After all that BS from fans and media about Karl and Hollins choosing contenders over the Pistons, it looks like all the contenders chose someone else over them instead – like I said all along was likely.

The Pistons could’ve been sitting here right now as the top destination left on the market, and had their pick between two coach’s who each won 56 games last year. Instead they had to rush into securing the great Mo Cheeks before anyone else scooped him up.

I know its crying over spilled milk at this point, and talk this week should be about the draft, but I honestly can’t even get excited for this draft after that colossal F up in the coaching search. Because its not going to matter what players they get if they don’t have a coach capable of winning with them.

Cheeks could prove capable, I’ll just never understand why they wouldn’t want a more sure thing when there were many others available. Especially given a GM in his last year needing to win now.

If we get lucky and get Burke though, it will make up somewhat for the major coaching gaffe

• Jun 25, 201312:27 pm
      by CityofKlompton

What makes you think they would have agreed to coach here instead of sitting out a year?

• Jun 25, 20131:38 pm
        by mike

What makes you think they wouldn’t? Point is you don’t know until you try, and the Pistons didn’t even try. THAT is what aggravates me the most about this team right now. The operate with a loser’s mentality. Plus they are cheap.

I just read they are letting Roy Rogers go because of financial reasons. wtf

Losers mentality + cheap owner = worst possible combo if trying to build a winning team

• Jun 26, 201312:31 am
          by CityofKlompton

NBA coaching gigs are desirable, however guys with proven track records of winning have the luxury of choosing where and who they coach. If they feel their best option is a team in a dying city with a long history of firing coaches after only a couple of seasons, an inexperienced owner and a roster that is full of question marks and second round draft picks, then they have the ability to wait a year (even two) and still be able to land a better job. Hell, the better job could be with the Pistons in two years!  Why take the chance on this team with so little to desire when you can sit out a year and pick up a job with a playoff team next off season?

Oh we have cap space? Our sitting GM completely blew the last time we had cap space, so this is yet another question mark.

Not to mention, maybe Dumars DID reach out to to these guys and we just didn’t hear about it. He keeps things pretty close to the chest, and often times we don’t know anything is in the works until it has already happened.

• Jun 25, 20132:02 pm

What makes you think he wouldn’t? In general, NBA coaching gigs are pretty desirable.

• Jun 25, 201310:52 am
    by Matt

I don’t really think Phoenix is getting a pg. With Goran Dragic they don’t really need one. Plus Kendall Marshall if they still think he’s any good. If I’m Phoenix I’m doing everything in my power to swap with Orlando which would mean Orlando would probably take a long look at Burke. I really don’t see Burke for Phoenix except as trade bait.
    Sacramento on the other hand doesn’t have a pg and I think their going to take Burke. I think they might ruin our plans. Pistons fans should spam sacramento’s blog with Burke is a bust and MCW is going to be a star. I think Burke will land in sacramento. That may mean a different guy falls to us.

• Jun 25, 20132:10 pm
      by frankie d

i think sactown’s current roster would argue against them taking burke.
      they have a number of smaller, combo guard types  and they might want to bring in a bigger guard like MCW in order to balance out guys like freddette, thornton, and isiah thomas.  of course, they could get rid of all or some of those guys, and draft burke with that intent, but gutting their roster for burke may not be worth it to them.  thomas had a good second half of the season, they have a lottery pick invested in fredette, and i think they owe thornton around 8 millon per for a couple of years.
      if they want to, or are able to, get rid of some of those contracts, burke makes sense, but otherwise, he  just doesn’t fit their current roster as well as a bigger guard like MCW does.
      hopefully, sactown is thinking along those same lines.

• Jun 25, 20134:33 pm
        by oats

I would be interested in Jimmer if they don’t want him. Kid can shoot. I wouldn’t mind carving out a Jamaal Crawford type of role for him. He’d be redundant if Knight stays on the roster, but Detroit may end up moving Knight this summer anyways. Don’t get me wrong, I prefer Knight because of his defense, but I think Jimmer has something to offer a team that uses him correctly.

• Jun 25, 201311:10 am
    by GEORGIO

If Burke played for Duke and did the same thing nobody would be clamoring for him. I live in Va and maybe because of that I don’t see through rose colored Michigan glasses so I hope Burke is NOT the Pistons pick at 8. There are plenty of PGs in this draft and free agency that can be had if it’s determined that’s what we need. Zeller or KCP would be my choices in that order. With superior size, Monroe, Drummond, Zeller, Slava, Jerebko, the Pistons would be a matchup nightmare. In the 2nd rd and free agency address our need for shooting. In the playoffs small guards are usually abused and a lack of size can be exploited when the games slow down as it often does.

• Jun 25, 201311:30 am
      by Huddy

Do they not cover the NPOY in VA?  Didn’t realize that was a Michigan thing.

• Jun 25, 201312:02 pm
        by GEORGIO

My point was if Burke was the NPOY at Duke instead of Michigan you wouldn’t have so many “fans” wetting their pants for the Pistons to select him. Classic homerism, Michigan guy gotta have him on the Michigan team. Hopefull Joe doesn’t fall for it again.

• Jun 25, 201312:30 pm
          by Huddy

My point is that he isn’t some homer sensation that only wowed fans in the UofM MSU game or something…he is nationally recognized for his talents…not just Michigan fan recognized.  It isn’t an exact science as sometimes college skills don’t translate i.e. Jimmer Fredette or Tyler Hansborough, but Burke is in pretty good company.  Would fans not have clamored for Davis or Durrant or Blake Griffin or Tim Duncan…the list goes on.  At pick 8 even most of the less star studded winners would be solid pick ups like Shane Battier, David West, etc.

What mock draft created by basketball experts has him outside the top 10?  Are they all michigan homers as well?  Mock Drafts can be a toss up, but people talk about homer Burke fans as if they are praying for some 2nd round level talented player to be taken 8th overall because he went to Michigan, which is ridiculous.  There isn’t some insanely better basketball argument for Zeller of KCP and that is evident in pretty much all analysis of the draft by sports writers that have them in the same range.

There are not “plenty of PGs” in FA this year, the only ones that are realistic (not CP3) and that would be an upgrade is Teague or Jack and Teague is unlikely to leave the Hawks Jack will probably be overpaid.  A lot of the PG talent is in the middle of the draft and those that fall to the 2nd round do so for a reason.

• Jun 25, 201312:06 pm
        by GEORGIO

My point was if Burke was NPOY for Duke then all these “fans” would not be clamoring for the Pistons to draft him. Classic homerism, gotta have the Michigan star on the Michigan team. Hopefull Joe won’t fall for that again.

• Jun 25, 20131:41 pm
          by KaBa

Well after reading quite a lot of comments the last few days here, I wouldn’t say that there are to many fans that feel like that. It’s more of a Dan thing, which I think is totally OK. The home thing can also be helpful and let players reach new highes. I’m from Europe, so I’m even more far away from the whole michigan but respect fot those who feel like that. In my opinion MCW is going to be a better PG then Burke, Shaun Livingston was on a way becoming a true PG before his injury and I think that MCW can be better then him.

• Jun 25, 20132:08 pm

If Burke was NPOY for Duke, i would be just as high on him. As would most commenters, I think. I’m sure you are right that there are a few who wouldn’t. But there are plenty of reasons to like Burke without his being a Wolverine.

What basis do you have for your claim that it is his Michigan status that makes us want Burke? Has anyone said the Pistons should draft him because he is the “hometown hero”?

• Jun 25, 20132:42 pm
            by Ryan

GEORGIO isn’t wrong to suggest that the home-state bias is part of it – people in/from Michigan would love to see Burke continue his career in-state.

But he’s way off in assuming that, in a weak draft, a team that doesn’t have a long-term solution at the 1, and has a lower pick and would be gambling on whoever they take (Bennett, McCollum, Shabazz, KCP)… wouldn’t roll the dice and hope he really is CP3 2.0 no matter where he came from.

• Jun 25, 20132:42 pm
            by Ryan

• Jun 25, 20134:40 pm
            by oats

But he is wrong to say it is all of it. I’m also from VA, and I also love Burke for this team. I want this team to get a point guard that can run the pick and roll, get assists, avoid turnovers, and shoot the 3. Tell me where Burke doesn’t qualify, and I’ll chalk this up as a homer thing. I was really into Ty Lawson too, a guy with a similar profile that went to UNC. Burke’s a little slower, but quite a bit bigger if you factor in the 5″ wingspan advantage on top of the 1″ height advantage. This is homerism, I like guys that fit Burke’s profile no matter where they played.

• Jun 25, 201310:27 pm
            by Max

I’m a New Yorker and lifelong Pistons fan.  I don’t care about any of the other teams from Detroit or Michigan.   I want Burke and it’s purely because he was the best looking player I saw in college last year. Very simple.

• Jun 25, 201311:39 am
      by Vic

I’d be happy with any pg that could shoot, pass, run the pick & roll, run transition, produce an assist/to ratio above 3.0 and control a game in multiple ways…

But the only ones available that I know are Calderon & Burke. Calderon is in his 30s.
      Burke is 20.

The Pistons have two franchise big men that need someone to space the floor for them and make passes to them.

Burke is the guy, even if he went to Duke.
      The only other guy that comes close in this draft is Nate Wolters.

• Jun 25, 201311:45 am
        by sop

I know you listed shoot but trading for Rondo is still a better option if you ask me.

• Jun 25, 201312:30 pm
          by Matt

We have enough hot heads that try and fight the coach. Plus he averages 13.7 ppg and 24% from 3 attempting just 1.5 per game. Unless you last 2 are Durant and Westbrook having 3 guys on the court that can’t shoot is a bad idea. I like Rondo’s game, I think it’s real easy to appreciate but our 2 franchise players need shooting around them. We need to add players who stop the opposing team from putting 5 players in the paint.

• Jun 25, 20136:46 pm
            by sop

Well Mayo, Martell Webster, Dorrell Wright, Gary Neal, Kyle Korver and JJ Reddick are all UFAs so there’s your shooters. Love to see a line up of Rondo, Reddick, Wright/Singler, Monroe, Drummond with Knight coming off the bench.

• Jun 25, 201312:07 pm
        by GEORGIO

Once again, that’s my point, Wolters can probably be had in the 2nd round and he has better size.

• Jun 25, 201312:42 pm
          by Vic

A bird in the hand is worth 2 that might be gone before you pick at 37. If Burke is available at 9, it’s a no-brainer.

With 2 all star caliber bigs ready to be fed, I don’t think having a pg that can’t space the floor AND pass is an option. Burke does both at an elite level, even better than Wolters.

• Jun 25, 201312:57 pm
            by CityofKlompton

If Burke is available at 9, I hope the Wolves enjoy him because we select 8th. :P

• Jun 25, 20134:45 pm
          by oats

Wolters is not as good of a prospect. He played against crappy competition and is 2 years older. That makes a huge difference in favor of Burke. Wolters is probably a career backup, but Burke is a likely starter. Plus Wolters has a crappy wingspan. His standing reach is all of .5″ higher than Burke’s. Wolter’s didn’t do drills at the combine, but he looks less athletic than Burke too. The height difference just doesn’t make up for all that stuff.

By the way, I think there’s a chance that Wolters is a shooting guard. I’m not convinced he can defend the point in the NBA, and I’m more much more worried about his defense there than Burke’s. There is a lot of value in a shooting guard that can pass though. Think homeless man’s Manu Ginobili.

• Jun 25, 20131:36 pm
    by Filo Putz

A lot of luv for both Burke and Caldwell Pope on this board. I really don’t see why. While Burke is very skilled and is hugely competitive with a big heart, he is undersized and is an average athlete. After Mclemore and Oladipo (the 2 best players in the draft), the other 2 guards available are not of the caliber of starting off guards that make a significant difference in a strating 5.

• Jun 25, 20132:10 pm

Undersized by about an inch. Burke is right in the normal range for PGs. You’d think he was Earl Boykins, the way everyone talks about him.

• Jun 25, 20132:17 pm
        by Filo Putz

If a player is undersized  and he is ( I don’t care what height statistics you sight) then he would need to make up for it with quickness, speed and athleticism.

• Jun 25, 20132:37 pm
          by Huddy

You don’t care about the statistics regarding what size guys Burke would guard in the NBA?  or the difference between being 1 single inch too short or 6 inches?  “undersized” is an overused buzz word in the Burke conversation.  I don’t understand why every other position on the court has a bigger height range than PG without people freaking out.  Burke is within an inch of the average…how would we change opinion about a skilled SF if they were 6’6 as opposed to 6’7?  Burke’s got a long wingspan so height wont matter defending jumpshots so is it that everyone is worried there will be an influx of back down PG’s in the NBA?  Not to mention he would be playing with a good rim protector down low.

• Jun 25, 20132:50 pm
            by Filo Putz

Like I said If a player is undersized and that could be for any position, he has to make up for it in other areas

• Jun 25, 20134:48 pm
            by oats

How about smarts and skill? Burke has those things.

• Jun 25, 20131:41 pm
    by tom

I have dreams of Burke becoming a Tony Parker-esque player. I don’t know if this is necessarily accurate, but Parker strikes me as a guy that plays crazy quick but if you pulled out a stop watch at something like the draft combine you would be underwhelmed. Am I off base here?

• Jun 25, 20131:44 pm
      by Filo Putz

• Jun 26, 201311:18 am
        by G

TP and Burke are similarly athletic. Decent, but not stand out. Parker was also a late bloomer & viewed as the weak link on the Spurs earlier in his career. Remember the trade rumors? I actually think Parker is a better comp for Burke than Chris Paul, although I expect Burke to have a better 3PT shot than Parker.

• Jun 25, 20132:43 pm
      by Ryan

Maybe – hopefully not – but hopefully so if he gets snagged by New Orleans or Sacramento. 48 hours, give or take.

• Jun 25, 20132:40 pm
    by frankie d

all of the concerns about burke not being an elite athlete are demonstrably irrelevant.
    the best point guards over the last decade – CP3 and steve nash – would be similarly described.
    has it prevented them from being very effective at what they do?
    of course not.
    is it better to have rose/westbrook style athleticism?
    sure.  but it is no disquailifier to be an “average” athlete, and it certainly doesn’t disqualify one from being a very effective nba PG.  CP3 and nash are the best evidence of that fact.

• Jun 25, 20133:17 pm
      by Keith

Nash has never been an elite athlete, true. However, he’s also one of the greatest shooters of all time and has some of the best court-vision ever. He didn’t really become the Steve Nash we know until years after he was drafted (on a different team no less) and had further developed his skills. That’s a poor comparison because it suggests the lack of athleticism was a significant problem until Nash developed all-time great skills.

Paul is also a terrible comparison. Paul was incredibly athletic before his injury, and even now is likely a superior athlete to Burke. Further, Paul also possesses the highest skill level of any PG in the league today. Two successful average athletes does not an argument make. How many other average athletes never amounted to much in the NBA, or never got drafted in the first place? You can’t compare Burke’s athleticism to guys like Nash and Paul without also realizing that he’s not even close to the skill level they have/had. Maybe Burke develops that eventually, but it anyone suspected that to be likely, he would go #1 without question.

You are correct in saying that athleticism does not solely determine capability in the NBA. But, elite athleticism does make things a LOT easier, and not having it does make the transition a lot harder. Athleticism can mask lacking skills, just as superior skill can mask lacking athleticism. We can hope Burke develops elite skills, but it would be a lot easier to project if he at least had elite athleticism to fall back on in the meantime.

• Jun 25, 20133:53 pm
        by Huddy

Which would you say is more important, skill or athleticism?  IMO its clearly skill, at least at PG.  There are certainly guys with both that are successful, but to say athleticism is a fall back is shaky to me.  Its a fall back for the player because it means they can probably at least be a serviceable role player on D and running the floor, but from the team’s perspective if a player doesn’t have or develop the skill side they are just an average role guy that can be acquired anywhere.

Al comparisons are out there are pure speculation so in general I don’t like them (most people pick someone just based on size/position and label that the perfect player comparison).  It is fine to have questions about anyone in the draft, but a lot of the pure dismissal I read about Burke seems unjustified.  His basketball IQ is the kind of thing a lot of guys can’t learn (see Brandon Knight) so he has the tools to overcome athletic disadvantages.

• Jun 25, 20134:17 pm
        by Filo Putz

Anyone who doesn’t think Nash or for that matter, Stockton, are great athletes obviously never had to guard them You couldn’t possibly think that both these guys could play in to their 40s without being elite athletes

• Jun 26, 201311:27 am
          by G

Really? Moses Malone wasn’t particularly quick or an amazing leaper. Neither was Bird or Kareem. To compete into your 40′s you need a great GAME. Players that rely on athleticism burn out more quickly. You got it backwards.

And for the record, neither Nash nor Stockton had good verts, and they weren’t overwhelmingly fast. Their success was predicated off their knowledge of the game, great passing skills, and a superior handle. Burke’s handle is pretty good, and I think a slick crossover is more important than an extra tenth of a second on lane agility.

• Jun 25, 20132:44 pm
    by Filo Putz

You don’t think Nash and Paul are great athletes? and Paul is one of quickest basketball players I’ve ever seen

• Jun 25, 20134:21 pm
      by Filo Putz

And Nash was a great player in Dallas before he won his MVP’s in Phoenix. That’s why Phoenix  offered him a big contract to sign as an FA.

• Jun 25, 20134:55 pm
      by oats

The Paul argument would be based on post injury as he’s clearly lost a step since it. Still, his combine numbers aren’t a ton better than Burke’s in the running drills.

Paul: Lane Agility- 11.09; Sprint- 3.22
      Burke: Lane Agility- 11.2; Sprint 3.16

It seems to me that Burke held up pretty well against one of the quickest players you’ve ever seen.

• Jun 25, 20135:13 pm
        by Filo Putz

I understand the testing that goes on at the combine but I base my opinion on what I see on the floor and paul is an elite athlete. As for his knee, as I posted somewhere else on this board,  the meniscus damage to his right knee might or might not cause him pain. I haven’t seen any drop on his athleticism since he returned, only that he picks his spots and is more thoughtful about how to attack.

• Jun 26, 201311:33 am
          by G

By elite athlete you mean good basketball player then. Paul doesn’t blow by anyone, he uses herky-jerky hesitation moves to create space for his shot. Interesting, because Burke does that pretty well too. Blinding speed isn’t THAT crucial for a PG because you’re limited by how quickly your teammates can get into position. A lot of the time you see the better PG’s getting that first quick first step (which Burke HAS) past the defender and then keeping the defender in his hip pocket while the defense adjusts and opens something up for the cutter.