Rodney Stuckey’s contract becomes guaranteed tonight

Rodney Stuckey has one year and $8.5 million left on his contract, but only $4 million of that is guaranteed if he’s waived by midnight.

If the Pistons waive him, they could either count all $4 million against the cap this upcoming season (which begins July 1), or they could use the stretch provision, which would count his salary $1,333,333 against the cap each of the next three years. Stuckey would receive his actual payments on the same schedule.

In effect, by waiving Stuckey and using the stretch provision, the Pistons would add $4,009,820 to their cap room this summer.

I would be shocked if the Pistons waive Stuckey for a couple reasons. From Joe Dumars’ perspective, it’s admitting Stuckey has failed to live up to the contract Dumars gave him. From Tom Gores’ perspective, it’s expensive to pay Stuckey and then pay another player to take his place.

On the merits, I could go either way, but I’d lean toward waiving him. Even as an expiring contract, he doesn’t have much trade value right now, though it will increase as the trade deadline approaches. He’s been up-and-down as a player, and I guess you can hope he connects better with Maurice Cheeks than he did his last coach (or the coach before that or the coach before that).

Really, the question nearly boils down to this: Could the Pistons use $4,009,820 in cap room to get a more valuable player than Stuckey? If yes, they should waive him. If no, they shouldn’t.

• Jun 30, 20134:45 pm
    by Corey

I’ve wanted them to waive him all along, but don’t so much now. They’d have to sign someone else to replace him, so it would only save a couple mil at most.. I can’t see how they can use the 30 mil in cap space they could have if they amnesty CV- which I think they should do, so no need to drop Stuckey.  Even if they sign a good FA PG ( eg Calderon), they need at least 4 rotation-worthy guards- Calderon, Knight, KCP (hopefully), and Stuckey. If they don’t get Calderon or similar, Stuckey could be a big part of the rotation. Yuck- but until they get someone better, there’s not enough advantage to cutting him.

There’s even a chance Mo will use him better than Larry did, he’ll have one of his hot streaks, and we’ll be able to trade him usefully.

• Jun 30, 20134:50 pm
    by Quin

Trade with Houston
    Stuckey, Monroe, that rookie PG
    For
    Lin, Asik, Thomas Robinson

• Jun 30, 20134:51 pm
    by Quin

I got it. Trade with Houston.
    Stuckey, Monroe, that rookie PG
    For
    Lin, Asik, Thomas Robinson

• Jun 30, 20136:48 pm
      by Quin

Obviously I only meant to write that once. :(  Oops. I hate bringing attention to piss in the wind comments, lol.

• Jun 30, 20134:51 pm
    by RyanK

I think they should keep him.  People lose sight of the fact he’s a great open court player and is tough for defenses to deal with when he takes it to the rim.  Putting him out on the wing and asking him to stretch the defense was taking away from his strength…that’s why he did so poorly last season…that and his attitude.

Give him the ball and let him create something.  Give him the outlet pass and let him take it to the rack in fast break.  He can score near the rim and get to the line.  Let him take it at the other team’s interior defenders to get them in foul trouble.  His expiring deal is worth something.

• Jun 30, 20134:55 pm
    by RyanK

The team can absorb salary because of the cap space.  They can also send Stuckey and CV to another team to give them $16 million of expiring contracts.  I think keeping him for this purpose makes sense…some team is going to be looking for relief and we’ve got what they need.

• Jun 30, 20134:57 pm
    by Gordbrown

He won’t be waived, saw that on Twitter. By I am curious. Do you have one shred of evidence that Stuckey and Michael Curry ever had issues? Maybe I’ve forgotten something, but I would certainly like to see it if you do. Because you’ve said this not only here but also in the comments. Stuckey has played for four coaches in Detroit and as far as I know had issues with Kuester and Frank. Other players also had issues with those two coaches and both Kuester and Frank did bad things to Stuckey as well. So evidence please.

• Jun 30, 20135:24 pm
        by Gordbrown

I’ll see you your over two years out of date reference with a contemporaneous one. Just for fun.

• Jun 30, 20135:38 pm
          by Dan Feldman

I must be missing the point. A positive article about those two doesn’t in any way prove they didn’t have issues with each other.

• Jun 30, 20136:20 pm
            by Gordbrown

I appreciate the answer and I agree there is some evidence. I don`t particularly remember Michael Rosenberg in particular, except of course that he’s obviously gone on to bigger and better things. My point was that this is a bald assertion found in a column that is nothing but a hatchet job and seems to be illuminated by two full years of the problematic tenure of John Kuester . On the other hand, I concede that there’s lot’s of people who have much more personal contact with Stuckey than I do that don’t like him much as a person, so there’s that. Of course, his reputation is now such that he will be hard to trade and my point is again that he probably has more value as a reclamation project than as a trade chip. A player who can pick up a weak team and put him on his back  and carry them for any length of time is rare and ought to have some value. My hope is that perhaps Cheeks can get through to him where others failed. If not, then his time not just with the Pistons but also with the NBA is over. Which would be sad but at that point he will have no one but himself to blame.

• Jun 30, 20135:05 pm
    by Matt

The palace was empty all year. When Drummond was out you could hear a pin drop from anywhere in the stadium. It was sad. You could eavesdrop on the opposing coach from the upper deck. 9000 people in the stands and Gores doesn’t want to pay Stuckey to go away? If you get real NBA talent that people will pay $40 to see you’ll fill the stands and make you money back. Sorry Gores no one is going to a basketball game to see Vanilla Ice. I hope you noticed we ranked dead last in attendance. We sold 67% of the palace. 79% was the next worse. You can hypothesise amongst yourselves as to why we’re 12% lower than 29th but I’d guess 5 years of losing would be a good place to start. LeBron said Monroe is the best player no ones ever heard of. Ouch. Dumars needs to grow up admit his mistakes and try to fix it. I imagine 13 million more should help us acquire players better than Stuckey and Villinueva.
    Sorry for making it sound like its all Stuckey’s fault. It isn’t. I just think 4.5 million would help us get better.

• Jun 30, 20135:20 pm
    by Tiko

man I want him gone. Give that money to Collison

• Jun 30, 20135:30 pm
    by mshansky

He is a toxic player, who rarely makes the players around him look good, holdscthe ball way too long, always looks for his own shot, cant finish, and is inconsistent and not always engaged. lose him…..

• Jun 30, 20135:40 pm
    by Mike

I think they’re keeping him in the hopes of trading him. I could see him still having some value at this point or during the season.

At this stage, they also have to worry about staying above the cap floor. What I’m hoping this means is that Villanueva is more likely to be amnestied. If they had waived Stuckey and then dumped Villanueva, they’d be looking at around $35m in cap space, and I think we can all agree that a team with that much space that isn’t signing Howard or Paul is probably going to be very disappointed in that. If they don’t amnesty Villanueva, then I think we have to start to wonder if Gores is just cheap and not the owner we want him to be.

• Jun 30, 20136:07 pm
    by ZMAN

Get rid of Stuckey and sing J.J Reddick to replace him!!!!!

• Jun 30, 20138:47 pm
    by koz

Cheeks will hopefully have a sit down with Stuckey and try to reach an agreement to let go of the past and move forward meaning drop the attitude, you’ll get another chance and play hard and do your best for the team. At least I hope this is what happens. Stuckey just turned 27 in April he should have 5-8 prime years in him, can’t quit now on him that would be foolish.

• Jun 30, 201310:59 pm
    by Max

Rodney Stuckey is still head and shoulders the best guard on the Pistons.   If the the Pistons hadn’t drafted Knight, Stuckey never would have stopped playing the PG and he never would have suggested on his own that he’d be better off in a sixth man role.   He understood that the team was trying to develop Knight and took himself out of the way.   I see that as praise worthy and his numbers weren’t so bad least season when you consider he was trying to allow room for others to shine while learning a new role.   At the end of the day, he is the only current Piston who can even competently bring the ball up the floor.   It wouldn’t surprise me at all if he has a bounce back season.

• Sep 9, 20138:32 pm