Rasheed Wallace in talks to become Pistons assistant coach

Frank Isola of the New York Daily News:

Rasheed Wallace is in talks with the Detroit Pistons to join Maurice Cheeks coaching staff

There is no doubt Wallace, who played for Cheeks in Portland, has the knowledge to coach and the temperament to work with younger players like Andre Drummond.

But being an assistant coach involves a lot of work, and Sheed hasn’t always poured his heart into things he doesn’t fully care about (e.g., the 2008-09 Pistons). Before he takes the position, Wallace must decide whether he wants to give all that energy for a job he once said he never wanted.

• Jun 28, 20139:13 am
    by danny

I think he is going to be in charge of defense, hopefully Big Ben comes into the mix.  He can work with sheed and both tackle the issues.  AHHHHHHH looking better.

• Jun 28, 20139:24 am
    by Jack56

Dan, Have you forgiven Joe yet for passing on Trey?

• Jun 28, 201310:18 am
      by Jeremy

I’m not sure Joe knew Utah wanted Burke so bad, but if he had, couldn’t he have made the same move as Minnesota? The Caldwell-Pope pick is growing more and more on me, I just didn’t really target him in my pre-draft analyses. Think about it though…Joe takes Burke at 8, sends him to Utah for 14 and 21. At 14 walk away with Shabazz (which is a safe zone to take him at) and then 21 go Timmy Hardaway Jr. (Minnesota went Dieng). I like the draft haul of Shabazz, Timmy Jr., Tony Mitchell, and Siva a lot better than Caldwell-Pope, Mitchell, and Siva. You take a flier on Shabazz and if he works out great; you get a 2 that can shoot, is athletic, and can defend; you still end up with Mitchell and Siva; and most importantly you fill the roster out more than it is.

• Jun 28, 201310:28 am
        by Jack56

Obviously, Joe didn’t like Shabazz or he REALLY wanted Pope.

Rumors had it that Minn was going to draft Pope and when he was taken they decided to trade out.

• Jun 28, 201310:38 am
          by Jeremy

Right, I think Joe really wanted Pope and I don’t blame him on that at all. It’s just one of those situations for me where you can take a pick and turn it in to two. In what everyone is claiming to be a weak draft and knowing that this team really isn’t going anywhere fast, I think I would have considered doing what Minnesota did with Utah for about 4 minutes, 30 seconds of the 5 minutes they get on the clock – even if the pick was someone other than Muhammad at 14.

• Jun 28, 201312:05 pm

I’d rather grab Rice than Hardaway.

• Jun 29, 20134:56 am
        by Filo Putz

Not sold on Hardaway. When guys have fathers that dominate their development it seems that even with immense talent and skill these types seem to disappear and not play their best in big moments. Almost like they’re hearing the domineering father in their head when they should be purely focused. They seem to play to not fail. Might be wrong on this but just going by what i’ve observed through the years.

• Jun 28, 20139:25 am
    by ryan

I hope Rasheed Wallace does come back. He can really help the young fellas learn the game.

An aside, is anyone else concerned for Dan Feldman’s mental health? He seems very down.

• Jun 28, 20139:32 am
      by Jack56

My thoughts exactly. I expected far more from him the day after the draft…

• Jun 28, 201310:04 am
        by ryan

As did I. Going into this draft I was uncertain what we’d get out of it but in my estimation we did very well and have reason to celebrate but it’s like a morgue around here.

• Jun 28, 20139:27 am
    by ASwede

That would be dream come true. Few Pistons I miss as much as Sheed. I can already see him setting a new record for most technical fouls ever for a coach …

• Jun 28, 201310:17 am
    by Keith

Sheed always had a reputation as a smart guy and good teacher for younger players. This makes a lot of sense, and I hope he succeeds. Certainly our defense could use work, and that was his best skill.

• Jun 28, 201310:28 am
      by Jeremy

Sheed’s best skill set was the one that he rarely used – his post game. Hubie Brown (the carcass that he is) always said that Sheed would have been the best 4 in the game if he stayed in the post more often. I’m not negating the fact that Sheed was a very strong defender. I just think that once Flip got into town and started featuring the Billups/Sheed pick and pop offense, Sheed fully became ingrained in the mindset of only shooting 3′s. I’m not saying it wasn’t effective by any means either. He was just more potent his first 2 years in Detroit under Larry Brown’s offense because he was in the post more often.

As far as Sheed as a coach goes, I love the idea. I think he will be more of a big man’s coach than just a defensive coach. My prediction is he helps Monroe’s game more than anything.

• Jun 28, 201312:40 pm
        by Keith

I agree he will be the big man coach. My point on that was our bigs need a lot of coaching to be good defenders, and Sheed could go a long way there. Also, I philosophically disagree with your claim on his post game being his best skill, and that’s specifically because he didn’t use it. We can argue about how great it was, but it wouldn’t matter, because it ended up being such a small part of his game. Defense was the thing he brought every night at an elite level, and that’s why it was his best skill.

• Jun 28, 201310:30 am
    by GM

I think the thing that would be good about bringing Sheed in (besides the fact that he will lead the league in Technicals given to an Assistant Coach, which will be awesome) is that this is a team with a lot of guys that are being described as having “high basketball IQs.”  Sheed, if really interested in coaching, could seriously change the careers of Monroe and Drummond, might make Tony Mitchell the biggest steal of the draft, and generally help the team become a hard nosed defensive team.  I can’t see a single downside to this if he is actually invested in being all he can as an AC.

• Jun 28, 201310:44 am
    by I HATE FRANK

the first time drummond comes trailing down the court and fires a three up from the top of the Key Sheed should be fired

• Jun 28, 201310:52 am
    by Jon

sheed should do well with tony mitchell in his development in the post. if he can develop a post game, he will prove to everyone that he belonged in the first round of the draft and probably the lottery

• Jun 28, 201311:01 am
    by Todd

If nothing else comes out of this, at least we have something that will make us watch the Pistons next year!

• Jun 28, 201311:14 am
    by RyanK

No word from Dan yet about the draft.  He must be deep in thought about what’s happened.  I was expecting to wake up this morning and see his manifesto about the pistons and Joe D…”white smoke” rolling out of his ears as he writes about “the Pope” and not taking Burke.

My take away from it is there are not giving up on Knight as a point guard.  I also think English will be cut as a result of the Pope.

• Jun 28, 201311:18 am
    by RyanK

My take away from it is they’re are not giving up on Knight as a point guard.  I also think English will be cut as a result of the Pope.   Too bad we will never know Joe D’s draft order and what he would have done if Bennett, Noel, McLemore, or one of the others who were taken before we picked was still available at 8.

• Jun 28, 201311:24 am
      by GM

I heard they were still in the mix for Eric Gordon, so maybe Knight is just part of that package.  So the question, if that trade happens, is would you rather have untested Burke or Eric Gordon and KCP.

• [...] [...]

• Jun 28, 201311:43 am
    by Black_Magic

i wouldnt want eric grodon. A max contract player who, even when healthy, doesnt produce max contract numbers. Pistons are one of several teams interested in Eric Bledsoe though, maybe BK7 goes to the Clippers

• Jun 28, 201311:54 am
    by Huddy

Off topic, but with how much talk there was last night about the Rockets wanting to move Thomas Robinson and how little interest there appears to be around the league…how can we get him?  He has major potential and would be perfect off the bench for the Pistons.  He has to be a steal if there really is little interest and the Rockets are going for broke with D Howard.

• Jun 28, 201311:56 am

I have no idea how Sheed will fare as a coach. But, from a pure entertainment standpoint, I am happy to live in a world in which he is coaching. He was one of my favorite Pistons during their nice half decade run. Glad to have him back in the fold.

• Jun 28, 201312:02 pm
    by ILovesheed

• Jun 28, 201312:04 pm
    by ILovesheed

now dont take what Im saying wrong sheed is one of my fav pistons ever and i loved his attitude he got in your head and played better when he was mad but i dont want him around these young players he was a bad influance on both rip and tay they both started acting just like him big ben is what these guys need as far as our pick goes I PRAY this means we get rid of rodney suckey SUCKEY!

• Jun 28, 201312:07 pm
    by mike

Great hire. Sheed is without a doubt in my mind one of the best big men coachs out there period. This is going to be a major asset for the Pistons franchise to have him here.

Sheed barely even played last year for NY, but Woodson credited him as much as anyone for their turn around. That says a lot and I couldve predicted it myself with Woodson even saying.

Honestly, aside from drafting Drummond and Monroe, hiring Sheed as a coach might be the best move this team has made since trading for Sheed as a player a decade ago. Can anyone think of a better move?

• Jun 28, 201312:19 pm
    by Filo Putz

I felt that there was a drop in talent after the first 7 taken.  The top 7 didn’t go in the order I predicted but never the less they were gone by the 8th pick. I felt that Burke and MCW were the 8-9 best players; the top two on the board. I had Muhammad at 10 and Pope at 11 What Dumars did though made perfect sense. The most glaring need that had to be addressed was at  either shooting guard or small forward. Since Muhammad at 6’5″ is an undersized 3 and a question mark as far as his ability to play off guard he went with the best positional fit. Obviously he couldn’t fix every position that needs improvement. But he did try and address the pistons biggest need at least one their two weakest positions.

• Jun 28, 201312:32 pm
    by Filo Putz

How could they hire a cancer like R Wallace when one of the best low post defenders in NBA history lives right down the street and isn’t currently working.

• Jun 28, 201312:39 pm

You call yourself a Pistons fan and call Sheed a cancer? Sheed was always one of the most loved and respected locker room presences. He didn’t get along so well with refs, but why would that matter for this job?

• Jun 28, 201312:55 pm
    by Filo Putz

His reputation as a coach killer preceded him when he got here> Even one of the greatest coaches in NBA history had a hard time barely controlling him by appealing to their shared love of N.C..

• Jun 28, 20131:08 pm
      by mike

You’re getting some bad info somewhere. Sheed has long been regarded as a great teammate and obviously didn’t have any problems with his coach before he got here, because his coach before he got here was Cheeks who is now hiring him to his staff

• Jun 28, 20131:19 pm
    by danny

Coach killer?  Naw sheed just has a hot temper.  Everyone loves him and gets along with him, minus the refs and few babies in the league.  Love this, hopefully its true.

• Jun 28, 20139:36 pm
      by Filo Putz

Wallace was sighted as one of the major reasons for Cheeks being fired from the “JailBlazers”. He was considered the “ringleader and a bad example to his younger teammates, who as a group were constantly having run ins with the law.
      Larry Brown had a very difficult job in getting Wallace to play within his offensive framework. As we all know no coach values an inside out offensive set more than Brown. Wallace for whatever reason would  go back and forth sometimes obeying Brown’s cajoling not to wander away from the basket and then obfusively disobeying his  wishes. I believe Brown himself stated was the hardest thing he ever had to overcome in his coaching career. Of course publicly, he says he loves wallace and he probably does, afterall they won a championship together.

• Jun 28, 20134:38 pm
    by frankie d

great move.
    now i just hope they can bring ben along as a special assistant who will also help on the defensive side.
    ben was one of the smartest defenders around and any team would benefit from his knowledge.