Pistons select Anthony Bennett in TrueHoop Network mock draft

1. Cleveland Cavaliers: Alex Len (Colin McGowan, Cavs: The Blog)

2. Orlando Magic: Nerlens Noel (Eddy Rivera, Magic Basketball)

3. Washington Wizards: Otto Porter (Kyle Weidie, Truth About It.net)

4. Charlotte Bobcats: Victor Oladipo (Spencer Percy, Queen City Hoops)

5. Phoenix Suns: Ben McLemore (Ryan Weisert/ Kevin Zimmerman, Valley of the Suns)

6. New Orleans Pelicans: C.J. McCollum (Ryan Schwan, Bourbon Street Shots)

7. Sacramento Kings: Trey Burke (James Ham, Cowbell Kingdom)

8. Detroit Pistons: Anthony Bennett (Dan Feldman, PistonPowered)

Unfortunately, I don’t rate him nearly as highly as I do Burke – both as a prospect and as a fit for the Pistons.

With Andre Drummond and Greg Monroe, Bennett also would be coming into a somewhat set lineup as far as bigs. Compared to the other options on the board, Bennett’s talent probably outweighs that, but it’s still a concern. Some believe he could play small forward, but I don’t really see that. His advantages – his agility, his ball skills – are really advantages against only power forwards. I suppose there’s no harm in trying him at small forward, but any experimenting would have to wait until Bennett’s injured shoulder heals – another reason he could slip to Detroit.

9. Minnesota Timberwolves: Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (Steve McPherson, A Wolf Among Wolves)

10. Portland Trail Blazers: Cody Zeller (Danny Nowell, Portland Roundball Society)

11. Philadelphia 76ers: Kelly Olynyk (Tom Sunnergren, Hoop76)

12. Oklahoma City Thunder: Steven Adams (Royce Young, Daily Thunder)

13. Dallas Mavericks: Michael Carter-Williams (Ian Levy, The Two Man Game)

14. Utah Jazz: Shabazz Muhammad (Andy Larsen, Salt City Hoops)

15. Milwaukee Bucks: Shane Larkin (Jeremy Schmidt, Bucksketball)

16. Boston Celtics: Dennis Schroeder (Brendan Jackson, CelticsHub)

17. Atlanta Hawks: Rudy Gobert (Bo Churney, HawksHoop)

18. Atlanta Hawks: Jamaal Franklin (Bo Churney, HawksHoop)

19. Cleveland Cavaliers: Sergey Karasev (Colin McGowan, Cavs: The Blog)

20. Chicago Bulls: Giannis Adetokunbo (Michael Pina, Red94/CelticsHub)

21. Utah Jazz: Lucas Nogueira (Andy Larsen, Salt City Hoops)

22. Brooklyn Nets: Tony Mitchell (Jeremy Gordon, Brooklyn’s Finest)

23. Indiana Pacers: Reggie Bullock (Jared Dubin, Hardwood Paroxysm)

24. New York Knicks: Ricky Ledo (Robert Silverman, Knickerblogger)

25. Los Angeles Clippers: Gorgui Dieng (Fred Katz, ClipperBlog)

26. Minnesota Timberwolves: Allen Crabbe (Steve McPherson, A Wolf Among Wolves)

27. Denver Nuggets: Erick Green (Kalen Deremo, Roundball Mining Co.)

28. San Antonio Spurs: Mike Muscala (Timothy Varner, 48 Minutes of Hell)

29. Oklahoma City Thunder: Tim Hardaway Jr. (Royce Young, Daily Thunder)

30. Phoenix Suns: Jeff Withey (Ryan Weisert/ Kevin Zimmerman, Valley of the Suns)

• Jun 24, 201310:39 am

I’m shocked by how low Dieng is. He just seems like a Perkins/Okafor/Dalembert sort of player who almost every team could use and who isn’t actually that easy to come by.

• Jun 24, 20131:18 pm
      by Keith

I think Perkins should be coming off that list now, and Dalembert has long been pretty overrated. Perkins is a great defender, but also arguably the worst offensive player of all time (seriously, it’s shocking when you look at the numbers). Add in that he’s been a poor rebounder, and it’s hard to justify. If we are talking about pre-injury Perkins, I would agree. Current Perkins is a shell of the useful player he was.

Dalembert has always been a bit overrated (salary-wise) by his blocks and rebounds. He wasn’t actually as good a defender as those number suggested, often being out of position when he wasn’t blocking or rebounding. He was ironically more valuable later when teams didn’t want to pay him 10 million a year anymore, but he had learned better help defense and had ironed out a working offensive skillset.

But looking at those, Dieng makes a lot of sense. On the one hand, he’s tall, long, and seems ready to learn defense. On the other hand, he’s pretty raw and could as easily be an overrated rebounder that hustles but isn’t actually helpful (think Reggie Evans) as an underrated defender that really makes an impact in the minutes he plays (think young Larry Sanders).

• Jun 24, 20132:46 pm
      by Ryan

Yeah, that list in and of itself should tell you why Dieng is so low.

• Jun 24, 201310:40 am
    by User1

Dan I’m holding hope trey burke will be around for us ! I really hope so I’m not so high on anthony bennet. But I wonder what the kings will do if burke is around still at 7.   3 DAYS away!!

• Jun 24, 201310:49 am
    by User1

If not burke KCP or idk who else ..

• Jun 24, 201311:04 am
    by I HATE FRANK

Like I said in every draft scenario…if you dont like Shabazz ….Hope and Pray..Burke,CjMcullon and or Carter-willimas go in the top 7…

I think the Suns really like Cj McCullom more than they are letting on…

• Jun 24, 201311:40 am

If I don’t like Shabazz, why would I hope and pray that Burke goes top 7?

• Jun 24, 201312:50 pm
        by oats

I think he means we should be hoping for Bennett to slide, but it seems to miss the fact that I prefer Burke to Bennett.

• Jun 24, 201311:18 am
    by Terrell

There other options like glen rice jr! or trade the pick for a lottery team pick next year . We have cap to sign some good free agents a be competive. But champs are built through sneaky and questionable moves.next years draft is worth skipping this one.

• Jun 24, 20131:26 pm
      by Byron

Which team are you confident will be in the lottery next year and wants to give up its pick?

• Jun 24, 201311:21 am
    by GEORGIO

Burke will fall and he will fall past the Pistons, I’m hearing Utah likes Larkin a lot and he’s only an inch shorter than Burke and way more athletic, Burke may fall out of the lottery.

• Jun 24, 201311:55 am

If you are somehow right and Burke falls out of the lottery, someone will get a crazy steal like the Spurs did with Kawhi.

• Jun 24, 20132:50 pm
        by GEORGIO

Perhaps, if he’s drafted in the teens or later then that would be good value.

• Jun 24, 20135:07 pm

If he is drafted out of the top 10, it would be fantastic value.

• Jun 24, 201311:34 am
    by Rodman4Life

I’m seeing on most draft boards that CJ Leslie isn’t even making the 1st round. He would be an absolute steal for us in round 2!

• Jun 24, 201311:40 am
    by I HATE FRANK

“”This was a pretty easy pick once Bennett dropped. Though I think Burke is the most likely top player to fall to Detroit, Bennett is probably second-most likely.
    Bennett definitely has more upside than Burke and could become a dominant offensive forward with his inside-out skills. Burke is better right now, though.”"

Yup MAN-CRUSH

• Jun 24, 201312:02 pm

I could happily go either way on Burke/Bennett. Bennett definitely has the higher ceiling. Burke definitely has the higher floor. Burke is currently a slightly better fit and is more of an immediate contributor as opposed to a project. Since the Pistons have (probably) already given up their next 1st rounder, that would make me lean Burke over Bennett, but not strongly. I’d be thrilled if either fell and got scooped up by Detroit.

• Jun 24, 20131:03 pm
        by oats

My preference is Burke, but I’m also really high on Bennett. They are pretty similar prospects for me, but I like Burke’s fit better. Either one sliding to Detroit is a good result in my opinion.

• Jun 24, 20131:04 pm
        by I HATE FRANK

Rather have Pope than Burke…

atleast he fills a major need….

PG is not a need, imo

• Jun 24, 20131:57 pm

Think about needs more in terms of skills/abilities than positions.

The Pistons need a ballhandler/playmaker unless you consider Calderon the future or you think those are skills that Knight can summon out of nowhere.

• Jun 24, 20132:34 pm
            by Vic

exactly. putting a team together in 2013 is about functions, not positions. What does the player actually do in context of a 5 on 5 basketball game?

• Jun 24, 20131:57 pm
          by oats

I can’t disagree more with that sentiment. The team has zero guys who should be thought of as starting point guards on the roster. Right now I would consider point guard the single biggest need for this. This team desperately needs a guy that can throw an inlet pass to the bigs on the roster, and currently they don’t have one.

• Jun 24, 20135:38 pm
            by KaBa

Well Calderon is definetly the starting PG if he stays in Detroit. Burke would have to pass him, don’t see that happening straight away. There would be nothing bad with keeping Calderon, at least the Pistons have a option there.

• Jun 25, 20134:54 am
            by oats

If Calderon stays… The key word is if.

• Jun 24, 201311:49 am
    by Jack56

Dan,

What are your thoughts on Zeller?

• Jun 24, 201312:13 pm
      by Dan Feldman

Right now, I have him in a tier with guys like Shabazz Muhammad, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, C.J. McCollum, Michael Carter-Williams, etc. Haven’t completely made up my mind yet on how to rank those guys.

• Jun 24, 201312:25 pm
        by Jack56

p.s. Where is Patrick?

• Jun 24, 201312:42 pm

How about Len? I know he is a lot less likely to be there. But if Noel, Porter, McLemore, Burke, Oladipo, and Bennett are all gone, would he be your next choice?

• Jun 24, 20131:24 pm
          by Filo Putz

Len is a big red flag. Because he has a surgically repaired ankle it is taking a gamble that he doesn’t have problems down the road.

• Jun 24, 20131:58 pm

I’d put him somewhere in the mix with the 5 guys Dan mentioned. I was just wondering how others see him now that he appears to be climbing draft boards.

• Jun 24, 20135:23 pm
            by KaBa

The Big Z wasn’t that bad, and I still think Len id like him. When you look at his offensive game, it is much more polished and versatile then the game of Noel. Athleticism is all good and fine, but just look at Biyombo, there is so much a guy can learn. I still find it shocking that coaches of such young sthlets never have the need to teach them the basics of the game.

• Jun 24, 20135:24 pm
            by KaBa

Oh I find iz funny that nbadraft is sharing my opinion to some extend on Len and Big Z.

• Jun 24, 20132:18 pm
          by oats

I have him in that tier. I also have that tier going out farther than those guys, and he’s towards the bottom of it. I’d rather roll the dice on Rice or Karasev than take Len. I have him ahead of Adams to round out that group though. The stress fracture is part of it, but I also found Len to be a terribly average player this season. I saw a few Maryland games, and the only time he looked like a lottery pick was against what turned out to be an over rated Kentucky team. I don’t think a potential top pick has ever disappeared from as many games against lousy teams as Len did this season. I see him as a slightly less athletic Meyers Leonard with an injury problem. I’m completely baffled by the way he is climbing draft boards.

• Jun 24, 20131:32 pm
        by Filo Putz

The guy I like is Zeller. Do I see him as an all star? No but I do see him as being a solid contributor for years. In this draft besides, Mclemore, I don’t see anyone who has the possibility of being a go to guy that can transform a starting 5. But history shows that some guys will out perform the expectations of the draft. An obvious example is Drummond, There really is no way of predicting where those guys emerge.

• Jun 24, 20131:22 pm
    by Otis

“Set” lineup. LOL Man who counts all these chickens before they hatch? Hopefully not Dumars (but let’s be honest). There’s nothing SET about the Pistons. I’d like to see a reasonable sample size before I assume we should settle on Drummond and Monroe as our front line. But who am I kidding? They’ve been anointed. It’s absurd.

Said it before, and I’m not the only one. I’d love for the team to add a PF so our @$$ is covered in case the “Twin Towers / Two Centers” experiment is a floor spacing disaster, and just to see what it looks like when we pair Drummond with a well-rounded TRUE power forward. Zeller, Bennett, both would be fine.

• Jun 24, 20131:58 pm
      by Keith

This is why I put Bennett in the first tier, and why I wouldn’t take Burke before him. Bennett is a legitimate inside-outside threat. He can stretch the defense in ways nobody but Villanueva can (who obviously brings different problems to the table). It wouldn’t be crazy to find out that Monroe and Drummond both seem to play better and have an easier time with a guy like Bennett alongside them.

We talk about Monroe and Drummond like they are our Randolph and Gasol, but we simply don’t know that yet. Teams aren’t built in a day, and they definitely aren’t set in one year. Maybe we find out that Drummond is always a liability at the line, or that Monroe isn’t getting any better on that 18 footer. We hope otherwise, but we definitely don’t know right now.

• Jun 24, 20132:01 pm

All good points. I would be delighted with Bennett. Ultimately, though, I have a hard time imagining Dumars getting to choose between two of the guys I like (such as Burke and Bennett) anyway.

• Jun 24, 20132:02 pm
      by oats

Neither of those guys is likely to replace either Drummond or Monroe in the starting lineup, so it is pretty safe to assume that we are set on those two as the starting big men. Yeah, we don’t definitively know they will work out, but we have evidence that strongly suggests it is possible. Unless a really good trade comes along we can assume that those two will start for at least this next year.

• Jun 24, 20131:40 pm
    by sloppy joe

Bennett wouldnt be all that bad… Imagine our front 3 being beast as fuck with Bennett Monroe and Drummond all with 7 foot + wingspans

• Jun 24, 20131:59 pm
      by Filo Putz

I haven’t seen much of Bennett play at UNLV but my guess is he would be a bigger upgrade over singler and middleton than burke over Knight.

• Jun 24, 20132:06 pm
        by oats

I thought he looked like a guy who was likely going to play the 4, so I have to disagree. I really think he projects as a potentially good PF, but a pretty poor SF. I might be wrong on that, but it seems like every team is looking at him as a PF and not a SF.

• Jun 24, 20132:24 pm
          by Filo Putz

Your right  though some do project him as able to play some sf. Either way he would probably be an upgrade, be it over Singler and Middleton or Jerebko and Maxiell.

• Jun 24, 20132:55 pm
            by oats

I see them as pretty similar prospects, and given that I base it on who fills the biggest needs. I see starting point guard that can run the offense as a bigger need than 3rd big man and part time 3 who can stretch the floor. Bennett would be a great pick though.

• Jun 24, 20133:16 pm
          by Who Is Us

Bennett would seem to be a Draymond Green type of SF, although more talented. It seemed to work for the Warriors with him at SF, maybe it could work for Detroit too, who knows. I still think that Pope-Caldwell is a better positional fit and allows the Piston’s to get a FA PG who will be equally as good as anyone they could draft.

• Jun 24, 20133:33 pm
            by oats

I actually think Green is better at moving side to side than Bennett, which is probably the biggest concern with Bennett at the 3. But the main reason that Green works as a SF is that they don’t care if he is ineffective on offense because he is a skilled defender. He gets away with it because he’s a role player. Bennett is supposed to be more than that, but I honestly think forcing him to play the 3 will limit his effectiveness to the point where he is little more than a role player. He won’t be able to jack up 3s against big that don’t feel comfortable out there. Even if his shooting numbers don’t drop, switching to the 3 takes him from a good shooter at his position to a pretty average one. He doesn’t have the ball handling to put the ball on the court against perimeter defenders.

I only like Calderon, Jack, and Teague as FA point guards. I’m betting it’s hard to get Teague away from Atlanta, someone overpays Jack, and Calderon is only a short term answer. Honestly, since the draft comes first so I don’t see any logic in having free agency effect your draft day decision. Free agency is kind of a crap shoot, but the draft locks in the player. I think Burke is better than Caldwell-Pope by enough that it would be a mistake to pass on him. I’d say the same thing about Bennett, If the talent drop off is significant enough then it doesn’t matter who fits better, and I think that this is an instance where that happens.

• Jun 24, 20133:24 pm
          by frankie d

offensively, i think bennett has SF skills.
          he has range on his jumper all the way out to the 3 point line.  he has a good handle and can put the ball on the floor.  he can handle the ball in the half court and  can even lead a break with skill and vision.   he would be a great offensive rebounder from the SF position.  while he is not a skilled low post scorer, he would be able to power up over most SF’s.
          physically, he would be very similar to josh smith in lots of ways.  while he’s an inch or so shorter, he actually has a bigger wingspan, and he has the same sort of explosiveness that smith has.   the biggest difference i’ve seen is that smith uses his explosiveness primarily on the defensive end, while bennett uses his on the offensive end.
          that is not to say that smith never flashes that explosiveness offensively or that bennett doesn’t show his defensively, just that bennett’s energy is primarily focused on the offensive end, while smith seems to truly flash that special athleticism at the defensive end.
          while there was lots of confusion about whether smith was a SF or PF defensively, it has always been clear that smith did not have SF skills, even if smith has never seemed to realize that fact.
          i think there will be no question about bennett’s SF offensive skills, but exactly what role he’ll be able to play defensively will be the crucial question.
          right now, i don’t think he can guard SF’s or PF’s.  hopefully, that will change.
          while i really like him as a player and think he is one of the top 2 or 3 players in terms of talent, i do have to admit that i was kind of shocked to see how bad he was defensively.  the games i saw, he often seemed to be sitting in the back line of a zone, in what would be considered the center spot.  and he was slow on rotations, inattentive and just kind of lazy and as uninvolved as he could be.
          hopefully, i just saw a couple of bad games, and he is capable of much more – as he should be, considering his athleticism – but the fact that he cared so little about defense is more than a small concern.
          there is really no reason that he couldn’t be the same kind of defensive force that josh smith has become.  he has the same type of body, a longer reach, the same kind of athleticism.  and smith can  guard a wide range of players, from the power SF’s like lebron to PFs and some centers.
          if – and it is definitely a big if – he wants to, he could become a josh smith defensive presence, with legitimate 3 point range.
          imho, that is not a bad option for the 8th choice in this or any draft.

• Jun 24, 20133:50 pm
            by oats

I largely disagree. I actually just posted most of this in response to Who is Us?, only to find your post when it went through. Bennett rarely was defended by someone who could competently defend the perimeter, and as a result he benefited from some uncharacteristically good looks out there. Despite that he was a pretty average 3 point shooter for a wing player. Even if improved defenses doesn’t cause it to drop, just switching positions reduces how he fares as a jump shooter relative to positional averages. He also doesn’t have any sort of dribble penetration ability, which turns him into a post up and spot up only guy. That works great as a 4, but it is extremely limiting for a 3. While he should out muscle guys at SF, he never really out muscled players before. His offensive game is predicated more on quickness than strength, so it’s not a give that he can switch to a more power oriented style of play. I really think his value is much higher at the 4. I also think it is more likely that he gets strong enough to defend the 4 than that his lateral quickness improves to the point that he can defend the 3. I really think he is far more likely to be a PF than not.

I agree with one thing, if he is the pick at 8 then he is a steal. Dumars would be crazy to pass on him without Burke also sliding, but I really can’t see that decision even coming up. I’d be really happy if Detroit lucked out enough to get Bennett.

• Jun 24, 20134:39 pm
            by frankie d

what you just described is why he will be such a handful at the pro level.
            in college, teams could not match up with him and he often was guarded by big guys who would not range out to guard him on his jumper.  and yes, he would often get open looks, especially on pick and pop 3 pointers.  or 3 pointers taken on the secondary break.
            imho, the same kind of quandry will present itself in the pros and he’ll probably get very similar looks in the nba.
            if teams guard him with a big guy, most bigs don’t like to roam out and guard 3 point shooters.  dirk nowitzki has made a living at the 3 point line because of that hesitancy.  how often was CV open the last couple of years, simply because his defender would not range out to guard him at the 3 point line?
            and if teams put a smaller defender on him, he has enough skill to go down low and punish a smaller defender.  while his footwork is pretty basic  now, he definitely doesn’t shy away from banging down low, and with his combination of length, quickness and bulk, he should be able to be extremely effective, down low, against most nba 3′s.
            while he isn’t a skilled ballhandler, say like ginobli, he has good skills and with a bit of work, he should be able to develop a decent dribble drive game.  one of the most impressive things about his game is his ability to grab rebounds and lead a break, coast to coast.  any big man who can handle the ball well enough to run a smooth break, as he can, should be able to refine his half-court offensive game enough to include a decent dribble drive move.
            you are right, though, it isn’t there yet, even though the component parts – the ballhandling, the shot,  the ability to shoot from different release points – are all there.  imho, he just needs to put them together via a bit of work in the gym.
            it’s good to remember that this is a  20 year old kid who just finished one year of college ball.
            he is probably just scratching the surface of what he’ll ultimately become, as a player, and because he’s shown so much by this point in his career, i think it is fair to project forward and imagine that he’ll hone his skills -good shooters tend to become better shooters as they get older – even more sharply.
            and that he’ll probably add a couple of things he hasn’t even started developing yet.
            i’d prefer burke, simply because of the greater need, but if he fell to detroit, i think he’d be a great choice.
            and in 5 years there is a decent chance that he’d be looked at as the best player out of this draft.

• Jun 24, 20132:13 pm

That’s true. But drafting Burke wouldn’t cause Detroit to lose Knight.

• Jun 24, 20132:49 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

I hate tiers …just seems like too much work

IMO …. Based on MY Observeration Talent from 1 – 10 is all the same…there are only a few players that have set themselves apart…When projecting to the Next Level …i. Not a scout, but I’ve become pretty good at this draft thing…

No Order

1. Ben Mclemore … I hate the Ray Allen comparison, he is more Jason Richardson/Ricky Davis with a already develop 3 ball. His elite-like athletic ability, along with the ability to shoot set him apart. If he falls in this draft its because teams got scared off, because he seems more comfortable as a puppy being likable , than being a Alpha Dog

2. Alen Len…. If not for the injury, he’s be getting Tim Duncan comparison, not saying he is Tim Duncan, but he has all the fundamental…back to the back, face up game, has the ability to knock down the 15-17 jumper.He rebounds well and will block his shot..he’s not soft or light…Good mobility…oh and he destroyed Noel during thr season

3. Anthony Bennett….everyone talks about his upside, but right now when he gets healthy and get his explosiveness back and lose that 18 extra pounds he gain. He can come into any system. and be a legit 3rd option playing the SF/PF role, and rebound. He’s not as vertically getting as Josh Smith, but his game is more polished than Josh Smith game was when he turned 20

4. Carter-Williams – he cant shoot, yada, yada…turnover yada, yada… everything that people say is flaw about his game can improve, put them with a few scorers and some bigs that can finish he will be fine. Elite passing skills and court vision, he’s has the ability to make offense easy for everyone else and not to mention he is a excellent athlete. Then when you consider that he is 6’6 it sets him apart, he’s a more athletic and taller Jason Kidd (btw Kidd averaged 4.1 to’s in college)

5. Cody Zeller…Last year he was considered as a potential top 5 pick, started this year out as a top 3 pick. All he did was play slightly better than he did as a Freshman. When he was aggressive and looking for his offense he was the best player in the country, his athletic ability @ PF translates well into the NBA, especially in iso situations. My comparison Tom Chambers, I dont think he will become the scorer Chamber was in his prime, but Zeller can be a legit 17ppg 9reb type….

6. Shabazz Muhammad….At the end of the day this is a scorers league…and the guys that can score in a varitey of ways always are gonna find away. say what you want but he was only a shot off the dribble away from being a dominate force in college. Throw in the fact he played out of position, he played in a slower offense than he was use to, he played with a injury to his shoulder, he was asked to play off the ball. In High school they said he had no jumper, but in college it was his best weapon. In the NBA, @ the 2 guard positon he will have superior size, he can score outside or inside. Improved defense will happen because he want to say on the floor, No one question his work-ethic.  Im also not fan of harden comparison, but I can see him as the Non-Head version Isiah Rider with that kobe / Dwade alpha in him

Oladipo – just missed the cut, but limited ball handling, lack of a jumper or go to offensive move, limited 3 point shooting in college normally wide open…not saying me wouldnt be special or cant be….I believe he will be a more athletic Stuckey or he will be a star player

Otto Porter – im not a fan very overrated even in this draft…He’ll end up getting his offense as a spot up shooter…and he will hustle defensively…. But in college he scorer more in the post than in Iso or catch and shoot…. He is not gonna do that in NBA…I like the Prince comparison…but Prince his very best was still a 3rd option….

Nerlen Noel - He is a hyped up Samuel Dalembert (Noel didnt even dominate in high school on offense, and only averaged 10rebs) and he didnt get any better in college

Cj McMullom – I feel like he riding off of what he did last year against Duke, and now he has People looking at him because of Damian Lillard and Steph Curry success. He’s kinda like Jerrod Bayless

Trey Burke – My Ceiling & Floor for him is Nick Van Exel…not saying he is going to be a bad player… but its depends on the situation and what other pieces you have…

Thats my evaluation…. take it or leave it….either way we will see

• Jun 24, 20133:16 pm
      by oats

It really isn’t that much more work to set up tiers though. You grade players, then look for drop off points and start a new tier where the drop off point starts. If you are using it the way it usually is used, you would then assign those players in that tier a slot on your board based on how they fit the team. That way if you think someone like Noel is a top 3 talent you won’t artificially remove him from the top 3 because he doesn’t fit the team. Teams often use the tier system to try to avoid reaching too much to fill a need.

Last, but certainly not least, if Trey Burke ceiling and floor is Nick Van Exel then he is Nick Van Exel. A guarantee of Nick Van Exel should probably go in the top 3 of this draft. Between the age of 23 and 30 he averaged 16.2 points, 7.8 assists, and 2.4 turnovers. Sign me up for that please.

• Jun 24, 20135:13 pm
        by I HATE FRANK

“”Actually, if you see all 10 as not having a significant drop off then you have set it up in a top tier. . Your top tier just happens to be the top 10. Although after saying all 10 are the same you proceeded to list the top 6, which is weird. I get including the full 10 because those are all guys you sort of get being the pick. I’d also get going to 8 and stopping because Detroit is the 8th pick. Stopping at 6 makes no sense to me.”"

1. First I said it was “IMO”… truely believe that there is little to no drop off in the 10… however there a guys I like more than others…. I didn’t do 8 because those are the 6 guys who believe games will translate the best in NBA…

About Trey and Nick …I think its fair… Nick was a streaky emotional player …. So is Burke…Nick would be considered a undersized PG in todays NBA…just like Burke…Nick  back down but struggled on Defense…I think Burke will be the same … I also said it will depend on the talent around him that will determine his success.

• Jun 24, 20135:34 pm
      by KaBa

I kind of agree with you mostly, especially with Shabazz and still, everytime I see him play, I’m kind of wondering what kid of player he could/would be if he had an second arm that he could actually use (I already said this in some older post of mine). Kind of weird seeing him attacking the basket and then knowing that there is only one way how it end’s. Still, his scoring would probably help the Pistons the most, if he can translate it into the NBA. But don’t tell this Dan, I know Shabazz is not really his kind of player, having a kind of crush (Dan I hope you’re not angry, but it’s kind of true) on Burke is also not really helping in this matter.

• Jun 24, 20134:12 pm
    by Filo Putz

Last years picks of Beal and Waiters will effect this years draft. If I was picking near the top I would draft Mclemore 1 and Oladipo 2. Cleveland will probably pass on Mclemore because of Waiters and take either Len or Noel, so he’ll probably go #2 to Orlando. Washington will probably pass on Oladipo because of Beal and take either Len or Noel depending on who Cleveland passes on. Who knows what Charlotte will do. Depends on their opinion of Henderson,But I could see Oladipo going to them at 4 and then doing a sign and trade of Henderson who is a restricted free agent.

• Jun 24, 20136:42 pm
    by Sidewalkvendor

Results of truehoop mock draft:
    2010 udoh
    2011 biyombo
    2012 henson

Obviously we really drafted well the past 3 years.i hope the trend continues by drafting the BPA.

• Jun 25, 20139:33 am
      by Keith

To be fair, Udoh probably was the pick if GS hadn’t foolishly passed on Monroe. Biyombo likely the pick if Utah had drafted Knight like expected. Henson as well is probably the pick last year if Drummond didn’t fall (and of the three years, Drummond/Henson were the only two both worth that pick).

We’ve legitimately lucked out being able to pick up guys who fell each year. Knight hasn’t really been any good, but Biyombo hasn’t been much better. That’s what you do in the draft. You take  the best talent when it is available, and worry about fit later. This year is difficult to predict because there just isn’t much top end talent, and just about anyone in the top 7 could fall to us or none at all. It wouldn’t surprise me if every mock ends up being wrong, that somehow McLemore falls all the way to 8, or we pull something out of left field and take a guy like Antetokounmpo.

• [...] Really, nevermind all that. This guy’s going to be a star. He’s the current internet darling (including the Truehoop mock) to go to the Cavs at #1 overall, so here’s to a future in which Kyrie Irving takes his talents [...]