Pistons pass on Trey Burke for Anthony Bennett in ESPN mock draft

Chad Ford prefaced this mock draft by calling the 2013 NBA Draft the most unpredictable one he’s ever covered, but he’s still providing his best stab at a mock draft, and with the eighth pick, he has the Pistons taking Anthony Bennett:

For a third year in a row, the Pistons are hoping that one of the top seven players on the board takes a surprise dip on draft night. They might get their wish. While the team is after a point guard, Bennett might be too good to pass up. He can play both the 4 and the 3 and gives them another great scoring option in their frontcourt. Carter-Williams would be another serious option here.

I have Trey Burke, whom Ford has falling to the Thunder at No. 12, rated ahead of Bennett. If you want to understand why I’m so high on Burke, Michael Rosenberg of Sports Illustrated wrote about why Burke is underrated, and his reasons largely overlap with my own. I’d be pleased with Bennett in a vacuum, just not quite as happy if it meant passing on Burke.

Ford also updated his second-round mock, giving the Pistons Archie Goodwin at No. 37:

Goodwin was billed as a poor man’s Russell Westbrook coming into Kentucky. He struggled mightily, but the raw talent is there. He’s got elite speed and athletic abilities. If he ever figures out a jumper, he’s got a lot of upside.

And Solomon Hill at 56:

The Pistons could use a small forward and Hill is a player who doesn’t excel in any one area, but is a leader on the floor. A perfect fit with a team like the Pistons.

• Jun 27, 201312:17 pm
    by mike

yeah, I’m pretty much the same. I’ll be ecstatic if we get Bennett but disappointed if we pass on Burke. I’m kind of 50-50 on the two, with Burke getting a slight edge because I think we really could use his leadership and ability to take over games. Plus its harder to find a PG than a SF.

That said I really love Bennett and think he’s going to be a beast in the NBA at SF. idk how any SF in the league outside of LeBron will be able to guard this guy. And that might just be too much to pass on at 8.

• Jun 27, 201312:51 pm
      by Jeremy

I don’t think the issue is whether or not other SF’s can check Bennett, the issue is if Bennett can check other SF’s. If he is selected by the Pistons, I’d like to seem him slim down from his playing weight by like 5, 10 lbs if he is going to be at SF – not lose strength but become less pudgy.

• Jun 27, 20131:11 pm
        by mike

I know this – I give Bennett at his size a better chance of checking LeBron and Melo than a 6-7 220lb SF like most of the league has.

I think he will be fine on defense at SF. Remember we have Drummond who pretty much makes us a great defensive team all by himself. When you have a player like that in the paint, how the other 4 players fare on defense isn’t such a big deal anymore.

Chauncey and Rip weren’t great defenders, but they looked like they were because they had Big Ben cleaning up their mistakes. So I think we’ll be fine on defense with Bennett at SF

• Jun 27, 20131:13 pm
          by mike

I agree though. I’d like to see him at about 240-245. Which should be very attainable. Its alot easier to get a guy to slim down than bulk up

• Jun 27, 20131:35 pm
          by Huddy

His strength is helpful against a guy like Lebron or Melo, but those two are much quicker than guys who are strong enough to handle them in the post so I don’t see the advantage either way.  The problem is on offense.  It may be true that a lot of SFs would have trouble with a player of Bennett’s size in the post, the Pistons offense would have the inside way to clogged for Bennett (or any SF) to be posting guys up.  It would be more useful to have a better 3pt shooter and slasher than to bring in another big body.  When thinking of match ups one on one I see how intriguing he is, but on this team it seems like he would be more well suited as the 3rd big man in rotation at the 4 with maybe some 3…no shame in that though.

• Jun 27, 20132:52 pm
          by G

Paul George and Kawhi Leonard did a REAL good job on LeBron. So did Diaw, really. So either put a long, quick player on LeBron & D him up tight or put a bigger player on him & give him a cushion. Bennett is neither bigger nor quicker than LeBron.

Agree with Huddy, Bennett’s bulk is less of an asset when you already have Monroe & Drummond.

• Jun 27, 201312:19 pm
    by G

That’s just a LITTLE bit crazy. Would it surprise me if Dumars pulled the trigger on an overweight tweener when Burke was available? No. But it would be a REALLY stupid move.

• Jun 27, 201312:39 pm
      by mike

I like Burke just as much, but you could point out flaws of Burke too though – being undersized and unathletic for one.

In Bennetts case he just gained weight because of an injury. He can easily take the weight off. Burke cant grow any taller or gain any more athleticism.

So while I’d love either, Burke is not a 100% sure thing with no flaws himself. To where you can say Joe is stupid for not taking him. imo is a coin toss between the two.

• Jun 27, 20132:24 pm
        by G

I’d say Burke is an average athlete in the NBA. His lateral agility measured better than Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans, and Mike Conley. His max vert measured equal to Westbrook’s and better than Arenas, Curry, and Wade. His sprint measured better than Evans (again), Jeff Teague, and Chris Paul. So I don’t get these knocks on his athleticism.

As far as the undersized thing goes, he’s exactly 1 inch shorter than the average NBA PG. He’ll have problems with the larger PG’s, but I’m not THAT concerned about it. Bennett is at least as short or shorter than the average NBA player at his position.

• Jun 27, 201312:46 pm
      by count that baby and a foul

REALLY stupid? I think you would have a hard time finding any credible draft expert saying Burke is for sure the better prospect then Bennett. You can find mock drafts that have burke going before him sure and some after him too. I can see the merit for picking need over very close talent, but that doesn’t mean choosing on the side of talent, if Bennett is who the Pistons feel has the better talent, is ”REALLY stupid”

• Jun 27, 20132:08 pm
        by G

I think based on Detroit’s needs, taking an overweight combo forward over a PG is really stupid. If you think Bennett & Burke are similarly talented (for the record I think Burke is better overall anyway), then need should be the next consideration. Starting PG is a need. Backup PF is less of a need.

Maybe I’m overreacting a little, but Bennett concerns me. He’s overweight right now, and because of his shoulder, he didn’t participate in the combine so we don’t know if he’s athletic as he’s supposed to be. Even if he’s able to start the season in shape, he’s still a tweener forward with poor defense.

• Jun 27, 201312:32 pm
    by Byron

I’m going to appeal to authority on this one and just hope Dumars gets to choose the one he wants more.

• Jun 27, 201312:35 pm
    by mike

Check out this vid for those unsure if he can play SF. He looks like a SF to me

• Jun 27, 20132:35 pm
      by G

Really? Because he still looks like a stretch 4 to me. Most of those moves are him using his body against a skinny taller player in the post. Pull up the video of Bennett D-ing up a SF & staying in front of him & I’ll start to be convinced.

• Jun 27, 20131:22 pm
    by Vic

I think Bennett will fail as an SF… Usually tweeners that have SF dreams fail until they admit they are PFs and play liKe it… See Derrick Williams, #2 pick a couple years ago.

Now as a backup Microwave stretch 4, the perfect combination of Jason Maxiell mixed with Charlie Villanueva mixed with Will Bynum?? Yes indeed.

But if you want an SF in Bennett you are setting him up to fail and be a disappointment

• Jun 27, 20131:22 pm
    by Jeremy

Here’s my final prediction of what is going to happen tonight (assuming no trades occur):
    1) Len – I think Dan Gilbert likes to surprise people with who he picks (Thompson, Waiters).
    2) Noel – Orlando has nothing to play for next season and they really preferred Marcus Smart over all the other PG’s in this draft before he withdrew from it.
    3) Porter – This one has been in the bags for weeks
    4) Oladipo – Kemba, Oladipo, and MKG are a fairly decent young core for CHA to build with. Still a lottery team next year without a doubt and have the potential to have 2 lottery picks if Detroit doesn’t land a top 8 pick.
    5) Zeller – With Len and Noel off the board, Phoenix grabs the super athletic big that has a nice mid-range shot. Think of all the Drajic-Zeller pick and pops/pick and rolls that will be ran…
    6) McLemore – His slide stops in New Orleans. Why? Best player available philosophy in full mode here. Okay, so they have Gordon, Vasquez, and Rivers already. Rivers was slated as a hopeful PG of the future and, in all honesty, this team is just as destined for the 2014 lottery as Charlotte. Might was well capitalize on what could be the best talent in the draft when it falls to you.

7) Bennett – This worked out quite nicely for Sacramento. They need a SF and Bennett could possibly play the 3. Honestly isn’t all that exciting outside of that. Pencil them into the lottery in 2014.
    8) Burke – Once again, best player available philosophy in full effect. Don’t get it twisted, Burke is one of the handful guys that could be available when Detroit Picks tonight that I want (Bennett and Muhammad being the others). I think that this is a guy who makes a few teams picking above him wish they went with him instead.

Anyone see the HoopsHype mock that has McLemore falling all the way to 8? http://hoopshype.com/draft.htm

• Jun 27, 20131:51 pm
    by koz

i hear people say burke is unathletic but i remember seeing a picture of him in sports illustrated where he is making a block overtop of a louisville player pinning the ball against the backboard, that looked like one heck of an athletic play to me.

• Jun 27, 20131:55 pm
    by koz

block was on peyton siva

• Jun 27, 20134:01 pm
    by Max

I’ve consistently defended Dumars on these boards but if he passes on Burke to draft Bennett, I’ll say, “fire Dumars!”.

• Jun 27, 201311:36 pm
    by HAROLD B.

ANOTHER DARCO BLUNDER
     Will POPE Sell more tickets the Burke?
    Burke reminds me of Iseah