Michael Carter-Williams to possibly point-guard-seeking Pistons in ESPN mock draft

In his latest mock draft, Chad Ford of ESPN has the Pistons taking Michael Carter-Williams:

The Pistons have a lot of interest in grabbing a small forward here, but right now I don’t think there’s anyone on the table except for Shabazz Muhammad, and I’m not sure that’s the right play for Detroit. I’m hearing with increasing frequency the Pistons might target a point guard. The team thinks Brandon Knight might be more effective at the 2, and if they could get a big point guard like Carter-Williams, he could be the perfect fit in the backcourt with Knight. They really would like a pure playmaker who can help their young guys get better. Given Carter-Williams’ significant upside, he might be a great play here.

I thought the Pistons would prefer a wing if multiple players remain in the same tier when they pick, but if they see a point guard as a better fit, that would speak loudly about Brandon Knight’s and Jose Calderon’s futures with the team.

Carter-Williams and Knight would complement each other well in the backcourt in that Knight’s strengths are Carter-Williams’ weakness and vice-versa. But I’d consider both less likely than not to become viable long-term starters, so it doesn’t make much sense to overly dissect the chemistry between two players of that caliber.

• Jun 5, 20137:56 am
    by Anthony

I think I agree with this move more than shabecause less shabazz can play the 2 guard, which he has said he would prefer the 3. But he is way too small to play 3.
    Otherwise MCW would fit well with knight. Knight can pick his shots and drift around the perimeter like he wants to, and MCW can guard the 2 guard on defense.

• Jun 5, 20138:26 am
      by Combo Guards VS Logic

Shabazz said herather play the 2 than 3

• Jun 5, 20138:26 am
        by Combo Guards VS Logic

*he rather

• Jun 5, 20131:51 pm
          by Anthony

Really? Maybe I flipped it Then. If that’s the case, then yea shabazz would be a good fit. that ill think BK can run the point. But that’s an entirely different argument lol.

• Jun 5, 20137:59 am
    by Jeremy

Not a fan of MCW. He put up nice numbers in terms of assists but his 11 pts per in scoring really doesn’t excite me in any way. They are very Mateen Cleaves-esque numbers. I guess I would just hope for a more well rounded player than a guy who is really good at just one thing. I still contended that this off season is a bust if they don’t throw some of their cap space at CP3, regardless of whether they get him or not. I just want to see that they are actually making an effort at improving this team and not just taking what is being handed to them.

• Jun 5, 20139:10 am
    by Schmidt

MCW can’t shoot. Best case scenario is Rajon Rondo, and I don’t think he’s close to Rajon Rondo. Then again, Rondo wasn’t exactly very high on draft boards when he was taken

• Jun 5, 20139:54 am
    by DG

If the Pistons want MCW, then they may be better off trading for the Dallas pick and drafting him there.  That way they could get both KCP – who fills the outside shooting need and is a solid defender at the wing and MCW.

MCW should fall that far because Minn – Rubio, Portland – Lillard, Philadelphia – Halliday and OKC – Westbrook don’t have a primary need at the point.  OKC may want a backup, but I think McCollum is a better fit for the way they play.

• Jun 5, 201310:00 am
      by DG

That would also give the Pistons players to develop that are not combo guards at both guard positions.  That could make BK a third guard, where I think he would be a better fit and Stuckey expendable.

• Jun 5, 201310:10 am
        by ryan

That makes sense to me too but how do they get two picks out of trading down?

• Jun 5, 201310:22 am
          by DG

By not using the 8 pick in the Dallas trade.  Dallas doesn’t want the pick because they want to make money available to go after Paul and/or Howard.  They just want somebody to take back Marions contract which the Pistons have the cap space to do.

• Jun 5, 201310:33 am
            by CityofKlompton

I’ll have whatever you’re having. (Dallas isn’t giving away a 1st rounder just to dump a contract.)

• Jun 5, 201311:21 am
            by Huddy

Yeah who would do that? (Ben Gordon Trade).

It has been reported that Dallas wants to move the pick for cap reasons so if that is the case there isn’t really anything to give them besides taking Marion’s contract since any players would add salary back to them.  It isn’t that crazy when you keep in mind they are an all in type of team that sees landing big names in FA as the only way to win soon.  Just look at last year.  They played this whole season with filler players because they completely bet on getting D Will…they don’t care about bringing along a 13th pick from a weak draft.

• Jun 5, 201312:04 pm
            by DG

Thank you Huddy.  There is also some talk today that Dallas could create enough space by moving the draft pick and Carter.  Dallas could then even give the accepting team $3 which would cover Carter’s salary.  So it would essentially be a straight up giveaway for cap space.

• Jun 5, 20132:00 pm
            by frankie d

if dumars is smart, he will use his cap space, primarily, by facilitating these types of moves.
            chasing FAs and overpaying them is a fool’s game in the NBA unless you are one of those teams that doesn’t care about luxury taxes, etc.
            the best use of cap space is to be there and ready when a team wants to, or needs to dump players and contracts.
            if i were joe, i’d resign calderone, if it is at a reasonable price, maybe sign another mid-level type free agent, and leave the rest of my cap space there and free in order to steal players and draft choices from teams that need to make moves.
            that will be a lot smarter than paying josh smith max money.

• Jun 6, 201312:58 am
            by City of Klompton

“Tou” and “che”.  (Burned by BG… he never goes away!!!!)

• Jun 5, 201310:16 am
    by frankie d

MCW is a nice player and on the right team he would be a perfect partner/compliment for knight.
    but, on this pistons team,  with drummond and monroe, the only way that frontcourt works is if the PG can shoot, ideally with 3 point range.
    MCW just doesnt shoot well enough to make defenses respect him as a threat outside of the lane and things will get very ugly, very quickly when MCW tries to run pick and rolls against smart defensive teams.  it will look like what SA did to memphis when tony allen was on the floor.
    again, nice player but he just doesnt fit this roster and the direction the team is heading.

• Jun 5, 201310:24 am
    by Huddy

MCW may be tall enough to guard the 2, but he is really light, which could cancel out that benefit since SGs could bully him.  Ford had Burke at 7 and only because Sacramento is up in the air and Burke was next on the board.  If reports are true that Sac wants to focus on defense I doubt they are taking Burke so if the rest of his board were to go as he has it I could see Burke being available at 8 and being a better choice for the Pistons…if the rest of his board goes as he has it.

• Jun 5, 20139:53 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

I like Carter Williams, no reason to believe he can no become a better jump shooter, and he can defend SG’s and Knight can defend PGs it makes sense

• Howdy would you mind letting me know which webhost you’re utilizing?
    I’ve loaded your blog in 3 different browsers
    and I must say this blog loads a lot quicker then most.
    Can you suggest a good internet hosting provider at a reasonable price?
    Kudos, I appreciate it!

• Feb 6, 201412:01 am
    by ow.ly

Spot on with this write-up, I actually think this website needs
    a lot more attention. I’ll probably be back again to
    read more, thanks for the information!

• Wow! In the end I got a website from where I can in fact get helpful data concerning
    my study and knowledge.